Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for not updating in so long, I used to pride myself on how much I could pump out this TL but I suppose it's not been as easy as it once was.

1135-1139

In Britain, Gruffydd had been increasing trade with far off foreign countries. He had detailed accounts of Russia, Scandinavia, Iberia, North Africa, the various German countries, and even Leifrvalde. It appears he put off any ambition of conquering Normandy and used most of the military to keep rebellions down, he had also increased the Genocidal programs against "Un-Celtic Germanics." He had also appointed his brother Rhys ap Hywel Lord of all Ireland and under Rhys' supervision many agricultural developments were worked on to make the land more easily cultivated.

In Iberia, Emperor Ragnar had been building forces to be sent to defend his North African territories. The Iberian Empire had been experiencing the weight of over extension, Emperor Ragnar had tried to move a mass amount of his Iberian citizens into his newly conquered territory but that had in some ways worsened the bureaucracy by having to enforce taxes and such over such a vast distance. Many would have simply adopted a more Feudal approach but unlike Charlemagne and many others that bared the title of Western Roman Emperor Ragnar did not take it as a mere title and tried his best to keep the state from relying to much on local authorities. In his words: "We Cannot let (ourselves/us) to become reliant on the Local lords, else we walk the Path of the Empire of Germans." However in 1038 Emperor Ragnar the First had died of a disease, his son Olaf Ragnarsson had inherited all of his father's empire but had decided to allow his half brother Robert to govern the Iberian Peninsula with Olaf ruling over the African frontier on the condition that Olaf could still recruit soldiers and settlers as well as the supplies necessary to feed both.

The Capital of Iberia woud be relocated to toledo and the Capital of the new 'Christian Kingdom of Africa' would be in the city of Bizerte, just a days ride north of Carthage. Olaf had wanted to fulfill his father's dream of making Carthage a proud Capital once more but it was just too close to the front lines while Bizerte was close enough to the frontlines to manage war affairs while at the same time far away enough that it would be safe from the battles on the front lines, the city also had a very defensible position with steep mountains and the freshwater lake Ichkeul and the Lagoon of Bizerte making any invading army could attack from only a few positions of which could be easily fortified. It was also Ideal for trade as it being the farthest north city on the African continent and close to the Byzantine controlled region of Italy.

In the Kevian Rus, Mstislav the First had married his daughter Eupraxia to the Scandinavian King to strengthen their alliance. The 'Baltic Empire' of Bjarny Thorfinnsson had been closely linked to Kiev and had relied on it for it's trade with the (Byzantine) Roman Empire to the south. The Close ties had been beneficial to all three countries. Trade along the Russian river routes had been greater than they ever had been before with the guarding and patrolling the rivers and portage routes for Bandits and Thieves making the once hazardous and unnavigable journey into a safe and well traveled route.

However the tribes of Cumans on the north shore of the Black Sea had begun to threaten this Eastern Triumvirate, with both the dominion of Bjarny Thorfinnsson and the Byzantines realizing that a stronger Kiev would mean safer trade and a means of protection from the Nomadic Barbarians which threaten to draw the Byzantines attention away from the Turkic barbarians to the east and the Bulgars to the west. With very little kingdoms willing to fight against him, Bjarny Thorfinnsson had raised a large sum of money taken from Pirates and the like and sent it as a gift to the King of Kiev who used it to unite the remaining principalities and forming the large and centralized Kingdom of Rus. Something that had happened shortly after this was Byzantine road builders were hired to build roads able to withstand the muddy soil of Russland as well as being able to allow armies to swiftly respond to invading attackers. The Rus had also allowed various German, Scandinavian,Baltic, Hungarian, and even Greek peoples settle in the vast unused land near the southern end of the Kingdoms territory and on some occasions did so if said immigrating group had some of their young men be inducted into the military. The war that would follow would determine the future of Eastern European politics forever.

In Leifrvalde, Ketil Bjornsson had died and for the first time since the historic killing of the first King of Leifrvalde someone else would have to take the title of Paramount Chieftain. A man by the name Thorkell Sigurdsson had been chosen by the Allthing to become the next Paramount Chieftain, he formerly had the title within the Allthing of Master of the Treasury and had served in Leifrvalde's standing army just south of Nawahlid. He was chosen due to his knowledge of the results of certain interactions between different lands, he was also knowledgeable in the fields of logistics and while serving in the army he was able to increase it's effectiveness against hostile Skraelings. He was however considered a coward to some degree in that he would be uneasy in a battle even when the odds are very much in his favor and only if every man in the army spat could drown the enemy would he be confident in victory.

He was also interested in expanding the Valde to the South down the coast and the West along the Lakes, so interested that he had convinced the Allthing to make the new post of Master of Colonies in which said Allthing member would supervise the construction, defense, logistics, and economy of the frontier colonies as well as try and convince people to pak up and settle said colonies. He had considered making them two separate offices which one would oversee the Lakes and the other the Coast.

In Helluland, the people there had made trade with the northern Skraelings giving iron and copper for pelts, ivory, meat, and most importantly pieces of Gold. While boat manufacturing techniques had made new ships of towering size that can take the open ocean, the old ships used to navigate the icy archipelago of Helluland had been the same for nearly a hundred years and rumors of Gold to the west along the Northern sea being just as old. Finally a group of men, half of which were of mixed Norse and Skraeling blood had manages to make their way so very far west. Winter had made it impossible to move but according to the sagas the group of men found a Skraeling village that spoke a language they knew of and were able to stay with them throughout the winter. They told them of how further west there had been a great river that came from the south and with it came dead tree trunks and the ever enticing gold.

When spring came there was still enough ice left that heading back home eastwards was impossible leaving them with the option of either staying with the villagers or heading further west, the chance of being the richest man alive outweighed the risk to the travelers. After weeks of rowing they had finally found the River of gold spoken so highly of (Mackenzie River), and it had brought driftwood which was an eternally pleasing sight to the weary travelers. The leader of the expedition had decided that they would head further west and then come back to the river and sail up it some then return home. When they had found the coast dipping ever so further south it had beggared at the imagination, scholars had assumed the shape the ocean was just a central pool in the Atlantic with another pool to the near Arabia; But this could prove that the world was much larger then they could ever imagine. When the group had asked a native of how far the southern sea could go, he replied by saying that it went as far as possible. Indeed the large amounts of migrating whales seen indicated that it could not have been a small sea. Perhaps Gold could be found along this newer new world.

The Men were able to return to their homes in Helluland with only three of them dying and bringing back enough gold for them to live comfortably the rest of their lives. They had not been satisfied however, with the amount of gold they had on them they had convinced several rich ship owners to acquire colonists from Norwegians coming from the north of Nidaros to settle the mouth of the river of Gold and form a significant Norse Presence in the Northern Seas. They had found good land up the river; Enough for good hunting, livestock and hardy crops. With Paramount Chieftain of Leifrvalde himself giving support of the exploration and exploitation of the Northern Seas and this new apparent western Ocean. The Historical significance of this discovery would lead to what would later be considered by historians a huge turning point in Leifrish history.

In Storfoss, the men had been enriched by the silver mined by the Skraelings to the east. Their progress was lagging behind usual and it was considered buying Kolhud from Iberia in order to keep up production. The Skraelings had endured years of Norse oppression, there was a planned revolt but then emerged a single skraeling man. Called a traitor by his own people for converting to the White Man's faith and embracing their ways he could not even stay in his own cousins house without being attacked; This man was known later as Saint John the Skraeling. He had gone before the Paramount Chieftain and pleaded for him to allow the Skraelings of his land to live freely, when the Paramount Chieftain refused he left and came back the next day and asked again and again for months until Thorkell Sigurdsson said (according to the sagas which are most likely construed): 'Enough! Who are thou to bugger me day in day out, when you apparently have nothing better to do other than beg me for you're people's freedom! Be gone else the guard will flay your skin from your flesh!'

However the last time was seen by none other than the Bishop of Nawahlid who had offered the Skraeling a position in the church as he was still young. When he became a monk he had gone with other missionaries to convert many Skraelings that had worked in the Silver mines. However in once incident a skraeling supposedly said: 'You speak so highly of this god of theirs, all while wearing those clothes and never lifting a heavy tool in your life. If you can mine so much as half of my quota then I will listen to you're god.' And then acording to the story John had mined more than eleven times the quota in just under a day. After Gaining a significant Christian minority among the Skraelings and with the support of the Church they were finally able to get the Allthing to give freedom to the Skraelings and pay them for whatever labor needed in coin. John was never canonized by the Papacy but many Leifrish today consider him a Saint.

Wait, was the Norsemen of Iberian Empire already assimilated to the Romance-speaking population (or Vasconic-speaking population in the western side of the Pyrenees), or not yet?

It seems England is really getting screwed over. Is there going to be many people left after the 'un-Celtic Germanics' are wiped out? Or are they given the option of assimilating. I can imagine England is going to look very bare soon.

Wait, was the Norsemen of Iberian Empire already assimilated to the Romance-speaking population (or Vasconic-speaking population in the western side of the Pyrenees), or not yet?

Not all of them, but sooner or later they will.

Although the ones fighting in Africa are more in touch with their Norse Heritage than the ones settled in Iberia.

It seems England is really getting screwed over. Is there going to be many people left after the 'un-Celtic Germanics' are wiped out? Or are they given the option of assimilating. I can imagine England is going to look very bare soon.

Well considering that the only ones fitting into that category are pretty much just the English there are plenty of Welsh, Cornish, Irish, and Scottish that are settling in fertile farmland in England which was one of the points of the Genocide so that room could be made for settlers; the other is so that there would be fewer people to rebel against the state.

And I seriously doubt they could genocide everyone so there would be some english left, some

Wow England is almost no more, now it´s just Eastern Wales.

But damn, they reached MacKenzie River, and they´re establishing an outpost? That seems crazy far away to live, but cool!
I like how your first butterflies have continued to flap, and now the world is quite another story!

What is the population estimate of the New World now, in terms of Europeans and those with mixed blood?

Wow England is almost no more, now it´s just Eastern Wales.

In Welsh eyes they see it as a form of reconquista similar to the Iberians taking back the rest of Iberia.

But damn, they reached MacKenzie River, and they´re establishing an outpost? That seems crazy far away to live, but cool!

Well it's been about 150 years since rumors of gold being near there so it was only a matter of time before someone got that far, if anything I should have had them get that far earlier.

I like how your first butterflies have continued to flap, and now the world is quite another story!

I've only been detailing Scandinavia, Britain, Iberia/Africa, Russia, Byzantium, and the Crusades. Wait until I bring more places to detail.

What is the population estimate of the New World now, in terms of Europeans and those with mixed blood?

Not too sure, there aren't very many pure blood Norse with many having some level of Celtic in them from slaves and the skraeling mixed population is about 100,000 I'd say. Total population of people living under the rule of the Allthing would be around three quarters of a million.

Lots and lots of expulsion and straight up genocide, albeit there are still alot of English left so it would take a while for them to be completely decimated
Oh! I thought that those who were expelled were probably settled in the Continent (read: Europe), more particularly in Frisia and parts of Schleswig.

I saw a program recently where they "match" historically known warriors like Genghis Khan etc against others like Caesar and whatnot.
That made me think of this, seeing how the Vikings have a tendency to drift off(literally) and seek out new places. Although Aztecs won't be around for a few centuries, am I mistaken in thinking the tech-Level stays the same?
How would Vikings fare against meso-american warriors? The likely scenario is a Viking raid, which is often unpredictable and hard to respond to. But this time they are waaaay out of known territory(topography, temperature, flora etc).

Imagine Vikings see one of their own(captured) men having his heart cut out at the top of a great pyramid(larger than anything they could ever build). "Are these Brown-skinned men ordinary People or some sort of Jotuns?"

I would give it an 8.5 out of 10. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering where certain places are but there isn't really much you can do about that without breaking the immersion of the timeline. All in all I think you are doing an amazing job.

I saw a program recently where they "match" historically known warriors like Genghis Khan etc against others like Caesar and whatnot.
I'm pretty sure that show has been around for a while (and I seriously doubt it's credibility as it said that a viking would lose to a samurai)

How would Vikings fare against meso-american warriors?

Well considering they have

1. Much more advanced and effective projectiles (bows, crossbows)

2. Much more advanced Armor

3. Much more advanced melee weapons (although the Macquahitl of the Aztecs isn't to be taken lightly)

4. Much more advanced boats

But this time they are waaaay out of known territory(topography, temperature, flora etc).

That didn't stop Bjorn Ironside who had Raided all the way into Italy when the Norse barely knew anything south of France

Imagine Vikings see one of their own(captured) men having his heart cut out at the top of a great pyramid

That casus belli worked for the spanish pretty well

(larger than anything they could ever build)

Well these Norse aren't the same Norse of the 9th century, they have knowledge of advanced concretes and stone masonry.

Have you read Charles Mann's 1491? In general, the highly advanced tech of the Europeans of the 16th century and later versus the admittedly backward tech of the Native Americans was not the slam dunk contest people tend to assume. Cortez and Pizarro were both aided by the unleashing of European plagues and the political divisions of their targets and the idea that it might have gone differently indeed for them is not unreasonable. Mann, knowing these facts are in fact more widely realized nowadays, focuses in early chapters on the contest between the much less populous and developed northeastern peoples and the incoming English Puritan invaders of the early 17th century, when the European advantage was presumably all the greater, and shows that in practice, English musketry and armor and even horses don't give the immigrants all that decisive an advantage over Native stone arrows and other weapons, and their own approach to cloth armor. Sheer numbers of Natives help overturn the odds considerably. Of course again Native numbers melt away when exposed to the Eurasian disease pool, and it is this rather than the vaunted technical superiority of fighting styles that accounts for the apparently inexorable English advance.

Given that the Natives were often partisans of the French, who could supply them with European arms selectively while mobilizing their numbers and their motivation to defend their homelands, the English colonies, especially in the north, were in a perilous predicament well into the 18th century, and I'd say they weren't decisively secure until their victories as of 1763--though long before then the basic trends of the nature of the conflict put the French side in considerable long term doubt I'd say. But not the sort of doubt that said the English/British were going to prevail without serious efforts and organization! Given that and growing numbers in their prolific settler colonies, the outcome seems fixed--but with a bit more effort and luck the Franco-Indian alliance might have wiped out the northern colonies completely and perhaps even Virginia as well after that.

I have some points to raise regarding the interactions of your ATL high growth Nordic colonies and the Eurasian disease pool as well. I should try to keep them short and sketchy since I've alluded to the underlying facts as I understand them in other TLs and I have major life tasks I've been neglecting lately to my peril.

But again from Mann, I get the information that in addition to simply not being exposed to a large pool of endemic diseases, the Native American population as a whole suffered going through a tight genetic bottleneck that greatly restricted the genetic alleles they had available for their immune systems. Also, there seems to be a generic feature of the human immune system that in a given individual, depending on the broad nature of the parasitic threats that challenge them in childhood, the system can as a whole optimize either for repelling or limiting macro-parasites, such as worms and the like, or microparasites, but once committed to one strategy can't switch over to the other. Endemic microparasites being almost unknown in the Americas, Native peoples grew up with superior resistance to hookworms and the like that were common, at least in more tropical climates.

Thus when exposed to Eurasians arriving from the Old World still carrying virulent forms of common diseases from there (or recent outbreaks of forms florid and deadly even to the Eurasians) they were under triple threat. Quadruple, because Native cultures were also unaccustomed to the catastrophes of plague that Eurasians had perforce had to adapt to. It was this 4-punch that caused the massive demographic collapse OTL.

Now your much more gradual and phased mode of contact does change the situation quite a bit. One thing you should realize though, is that while the North European immigrants will be bringing in some diseases that will sweep through the vulnerable Native populations, on the whole the gradual and staged route from northern Europe (itself somewhat isolated compared to the situation that would exist later in the Middle Ages and still worse in early Modern times) via small islands to Iceland, thence Greenland and finally greater "Liefervalde" tends to on the whole break the chain of infection. Sea voyages with a fixed complement of crew and passengers aboard tend to limit the spread of virulent infections if the stages are long enough. A given outbreak can burn itself out among the shipboard complement before they make landfall, so there is no outbreak on the first island they stop on after that and so the disease is checked in its northwest spread until the right combination of faster trips and luck finally brings it there. At which point, the population there is immunized only to the limited extent it is comprised of immigrants from the east who happen to have been exposed before. Odds are this describes few, and the disease rages among them terribly. Then again, they are Eurasians with a broader range of immune system alleles, more likely to hit upon an effective immune response, so a decent number of them survive, perhaps to have spread the disease another stage westward in the mean time--and perhaps not. The farther west the settlement, the more filtered they are from European outbreaks.

Interestingly you have this custom of Liefervalders heading east individually across the Atlantic to find slave brides in Europe, or stolen and purchased from there and brought halfway. These women individually will be more broadly immunized than most Westerners will be, and their prospective husbands risk exposure to infections they never were at risk of at home. Thus some of them will be killed off looking for brides, but others will suffer some sample of Old World diseases and survive, hopefully their infectious period fades out before they bring it back west with them. But they might; the overall rate of transfer is high and made higher by this one-time matrimonial pilgrimage.

So back home in Liefervalde, they are somewhat more immune to a small and random degree, especially because their kidnapped brides are fairly broadly so.

Now I can't stress this enough--children do not inherit specific immunities to specific diseases from their fathers at all, and I believe only to a very limited extent from their mothers. I think there are some antibodies a fetus can pick up, and more likely to when their mother is fighting a disease while she is pregnant. (But that is versus the likelihood of serious prenatal damage under those conditions too). What the Eurasians have genetically is not immunity as such, but an immune system that is more likely to rally and defeat a given previously unknown infection. Once such an infection has torn through a community, the survivors generally do now possess antibodies, but their children will not inherit them. It is just that natural selection has tended to winnow out those with particularly weak immune system genes somewhat. But after a generation has passed, the same disease can devastate the same community again, unless a mutated milder form of it becomes endemic and is close enough to the virulent strains so immunity overlaps more or less.

If the upshot of your somewhat high but still moderate degree of intercourse with old Europe is that there are a few endemic milder forms of old plagues among the Liefervaldians, then their immune systems when they grow up will switch over to the anti-micro-parasite mode, so they have that in their favor too.

Meanwhile Native peoples in contact with them will suffer both when the nastier forms of bug make it all the way across the Atlantic and from "milder" strains endemic among the European-descended. The ones they are in contact with will be decimated to a degree by the latter; this will mean the survivors are somewhat more resistant generally, and if the exposures continue despite likely social recoil of the Natives from the invaders, their children will be "switched" over to microparasite resistance and do somewhat better than they would otherwise. But they still suffer badly from the generic inflexibility of their genes.

OTOH, despite the preference of Liefervaldians to marry either the rare daughters among themselves or import slave brides from Europe, we have already instances of intermarriage between "Skraelings" and the invaders. I think there would be somewhat more of that you seem to assume, that finding a woman locally, even one of alien appearance and culture, would seem to have its advantages over an expensive, long and risky voyage east to Europe or even just a market in Iceland. It probably depends on the status and disposition of individual men of course. Lower status men have less means to go east and less to lose socially. Whereas an adventurous and ambitious man who has found that some Skraelings are not so hard to get along with, who has grown up in contact with some and so knows one of their languages (learning many languages as a child tends to help the facility of acquiring more as an adult, especially when the two "milk" languages are very different whereas the new third one is similar to one of the childhood ones) can actually anticipate some big advantages to fall his way, if he can play his cards right and get along with his new in-laws, and they maintain a decently respected status vis a vis Liefervalidan society generally--then he has an entree in trading and other profitable contacts with their relatives, including perhaps getting fairly secure access to a new homestead in return for his advocacy of his relatives' cause among the Nordics. A boy of such a union in turn will have less reluctance and more attraction to again marrying another Native family, especially if this family has ties to his mother's. Whereas a daughter of such a union might seem a desirable bride either to pureblood European descendants or to a Native family--going the one way she tends to melt and blur the distinction between the peoples in the eyes of the Europeans generally, going the other--she brings Eurasian immunity genes in some degree into the Native gene pool, where, by happenstance over generations, they might spread among people who don't realize they have any European ancestry at all.

The faster this genetic exchange takes place, the sooner large Native populations, including those who strongly identify as such as well as mixed-culture people, will have these more useful Eurasian immune system genes spread among them.

But eugenics is bloody slow compared to the pace of human historical events. Even if every single immigrant to the west was a man who cheerfully sought a bride only from among the Skraelings, and the total number of European immigrants matched those in your scenario but were 100 percent men seeking Native women to bear their children, the genetic flow won't be fast enough to make a huge difference all by itself, and will be of course only partial. The combination of this with children exposed to childhood diseases giving them selective immunities to particular strains, generally switching the mode over to microparasite resistance, and development of cultural ways of dealing with mass and normal levels of infection, will all help slow the demographic collapse.

Vice versa though, although the Liefervalders do enjoy all three of these advantages to a greater degree than even affected Native neighbors, they themselves have not been exposed to the majority of the increasingly nasty mix of Eurasian diseases that are increasingly spreading in Medieval Europe as the era moves to the "High" Middle Ages. Meanwhile communications across the Atlantic is broadening and accelerating. The fact that the way stations are also somewhat isolated means they will suffer devastating diebacks from plauges new to them first, but this might merely mean a dangerous ship bypasses Iceland or Greenland and heads all the faster for a western port, bringing the same devastation with them. Despite being heir to relatively vigorous Eurasian immunity alleles, the Vinlanders will be little better off than the Skraelings versus certain terrible diseases!

Meanwhile, once a major and devastating plague is unleashed on Native peoples, it will not automatically sweep across the continents, pre-immunizing the survivors against future European intrusions. A wave will tend to run up the lines of well-developed communications, wiping trade networks out, but upon washing upon peoples not so tied to these, it will weaken and break, leaving the peoples beyond the burn-out point untouched--also not immunized. Someday the same disease will filter more gradually, perhaps in a much less virulent form among people who can much better tolerate it, until it jumps past the old burnout boundary and turns again into a something terrible--except that unless cultural change has brought the more westerly inland people into a tight exchange economy, again it will tend to break up and burn out before going too far.

The upshot, I guess, is that Eurasian diseases will start to make inroads, and that European genes will start to spread into the Native populations the European peoples are in contact with, and these people will also be decimated by disease but then hit bottom and start recovering sooner. The majority of these are liable to get swept up into Liefervaldian culture, though not without injecting Native elements into that culture at large along with an increasingly Native genetic background for more and more cultural Liefervalders. But some might recoil to the west and be absorbed into other Native societies that have little or no contact with the eastern invaders. These might pick up a smattering of genetic advantage over the generations, and probably adopt a bit of cultural adaptation to the prospect of a sweeping plague. Otherwise they are as vulnerable as their ancestors before 1000.

So gradually European society back over seas will develop on somewhat butterflied but basically recognizable tracks, toward the Early Modern tendencies and capabilities that enabled their eventual world conquest. But in North America, the exposure to a sample of Eurasian diseases and responses to it seems liable to preserve a larger sample of northeastern and Midwestern Natives, who however will be mixed culturally, socially and genetically with Europeans.

We need to consider too at what point horses get loose from Liefervaldian hands, and some sort of riding culture spreads far beyond the bounds of the current Liefer/Skraeling front to otherwise more or less untouched people. It seems likely that before Liefervalders settle on the west side of Lake Michigan ATL, that a pony or even full size horse riding cultural complex will have formed and confronted them on more mobile and powerful terms than hitherto.

Other cultural innovations, despite the conscious effort of the Thing leadership to restrain it, seem liable to jump beyond the border and spread far and wide too.

Anyway, once Europe as a whole advances roughly to 1500 levels, we can still expect a big surge across the Atlantic which will have major consequences for the Native peoples. These will be mitigated a very little bit by genetic dispersion of Eurasian immune alleles, more by gradual cultural accustoming of more Native peoples to the phenomena of plagues earlier on in moderately gentler form, and somewhat by those early plagues tipping the genetic mechanisms over to resisting microfauna.

It seems you are also advancing the clock on European tranAtlantic capability. Perhaps I should nay-say that a bit. I believe that seamanship is a package, it isn't just making bigger ships nor merely learning more about sailing in crosswinds, though these are obviously vital components. Nor even the art of navigation in the sense of reckoning one's current location either. I believe one factor in the European ability to venture on literally global scales by 1500 was developing better methods of keeping more or less edible and potable food and drink in storage for longer. Perhaps you can argue that Vinlandic developments give them a little edge here, as might access to Native American varieties of food to add to the European stock. But by and large I suspect that being able to go from Nova Scotia to the Azores reliably before 1200 might possibly be unfortunately ASB. I hate to say it, but this needs some attention. (As I say, maybe Skraeling foods like pemmican and the general nutritional value of the diverse pre-Columbian vegetable basket, suitably dried or otherwise preserved, can be a game changer, in some ways superior to OTL innovations such as hardtack. Potable drink is an issue too; strong booze like maple liquor might be an answer, as long as it is diluted enough that hydration trumps alcohol poisoning. Is maple liquor still very sweet when properly brewed? I'd suspect so, and mixing it with water might expose it to spoilage, and the water has to go in immediately before the ship leaves port or it will go bad on its own too. But maybe the alcohol content can keep it sterile enough while still on the whole hydrating more than debilitating?)

Drink is a big deal and you should look into it; part of how the English defeated the Spanish Armada was a major raid by Drake on the Spanish and Portuguese coast wherein he lucked upon the major part of stocks of seasoned wood suitable for making casks. Rather than abscond with it (the ships being full of less bulky treasures) he had it all burned up; the Armada was badly affected by the shortage of such wood and substitution of less suitable greener or just inferior timber which led to early spoilage of many supplies including potable drinks gone green.

As far as food goes however you might be in luck, the Wikipedia article on pemmican is most encouraging as it is a Cree invention. However the history section only goes back to late New France days, and it could be it was a very late invention although clearly Native. If there is any evidence of a close precursor to pemmican being endemic to northeast Native people before 1500, then I'd say it is a slam dunk that by 1100 your Liefervalders could have adopted it, especially for the inland fur trade, and Olaf sensibly laid in stocks which served him well on his long voyages. That and maple brew and/or good beer or whatever might close the gap, and leave both Liefervalders and eventually Europeans in general better able than OTL to survive long stretches out of touch of land, earlier. I'd suggest that in general, you emphasize that the Nordic invaders are eclectic and opportunistic and pragmatic enough to recognize the utility of Skraeling food, and are on the lookout to improve their diet constantly. You've already indicated this happening to a limited extent with the Three Sisters of maize, beans and gourds. The more varieties of Native foodstuffs they learn to preserve suitably well by drying, smoking, salting, or pickling the more reasonable it is they can face long open sea stretches without getting too sick, indeed maybe some of these foods might be much superior to European stuff in terms of vitamins, and they might even avoid the risk of scurvy. OTL the Columbian exchange vastly improved the global variety of crops, and that was with zealous missionaries seeking to ban many of them as heathen and evil. Prior to the development of maizes that did well in the far northeast, peoples there cultivated a variety of things they later largely abandoned; adopting some of these supplementarily might fill in other nutritional gaps--the potato for instance was a part of the recipies usually enjoyed with pemmican, but here it will be unknown until your voyagers go a whole lot farther south! However arrowroot might be one of those opportunistic northeastern crops, or perhaps some other tuber, or acorn flour might keep well? Dunno, run and find out!

One navigational innovation I look forward to in this TL is the magnetic compass. It is unclear whether Europeans picked it up via Arab intermediaries or invented it themselves, either way the earliest European references are to the mid-13th century and one scholar at least argues that it wasn't in common navigational use until after 1400. Interestingly the Wikipedia history suggests maybe it was known to the Olmec of Mesoamerica although used only for geomancy, not navigation (big lodestones, not practical for shipboard use). If one goes with the Arabic spread from China theory, which is weakened by the known references in the Muslim world being contemporary with the earliest European references rather than prior, your introduction of a Liefervald dynasty as Western Emperors in Iberia may accelerate its adoption but it seems a long shot.

When compasses do appear in Liefervald, I think at first they may meet some scorn and skepticism, because the North Magnetic Pole lies somewhere nearby and the needle does not point north there! However, when it is realized that it does however seem to point at one point on the Earth, so that using it and also knowing true north gives two coordinates in the region, and that holding it sideways can give a third useful coordinate in the dip angle, then I think interest in the region will greatly redouble. Soon it would be realized that the point it points to is wandering, and that it must actually be pretty nearby; since you already have outposts on Hudson's bay, reached by sailing around north via Helluland, I daresay that it won't be long after the compass does appear there that the North Magnetic Pole will be located and marked--and then its ongoing wanderings tracked year to year, with information on its coordinates and the local bearing off of true north being commonly published knowledge in Liefervaldic towns.

I also wonder about the art and science of navigational charting, which in this territory would also be of great interest over land as well as at sea. I gather from sone hearsay that the notion that the world was round was something Vikings heard of on their voyages down to the Med, and an idea they readily adopted. I read in some National Geographic book published in the 60s of an account of a father explaining to his son that since the world was round like a ball, the tropics were closer to the sun than their northlands, and therefore much hotter--which is wrong of course but shows a distinctly pragmatic/scientific turn of mind.

I happened to notice a few years ago that in the children's movie "How to Train a Dragon" that Viking-like people were using charts, and scoffed at the idea they had such things--but does anyone know if in fact the Vikings were already familiar with mapping, and how early maps of the far northlands were attempted?

In very high latitudes, astronomy and geography can play some interesting tricks on the mind. I wonder if early on, they might attempt to develop more or less accurate polar projections, particularly stereographic ones centered on perhaps the North Pole, perhaps on the current location of the magnetic pole, perhaps on a capital or a central location like Iceland.

A stereographic plot, like a Mercator projection, is conformal, meaning that features accurately plotted on it meet at the same angles they do on the real globe, and shapes tend to be accurate if they are not too large. Like a Mercator, they magnify objects out toward the edges in apparent area, but unlike that projection these edges are not near the poles but rather in the hemisphere opposite the nominal center of the map. (One cannot map the whole globe without an infinite sheet of paper!) Since European geography is very hazy farther south and east than the Mediterranean, and Liefervalder knowledge only extends it a moderate distance north and west, a hemisphere is all they can draw anyway, so the distortion is only moderate. A local map of just the known world west of Iceland should be quite decently in proportion. As with any azimuthal map (centered on a point of the world) a straight radius from that point corresponds to a great circle. Since the map is conformal, lines or curves plotted on it intersect with properly drawn meridians and parallels at the same angle as on Earth, as with Mercator projections. Mercators have the meridians as parallel vertical lines and straight lines from one port to another therefore lay out a "rhumb line" course, which is to say if the ship just keeps the same compass heading, it will cross that path, which is more than a Great Circle in length--but often not by a lot. This will not be true on a stereographic projection, and the Liefervalders may prefer to use local versions of Mercator instead, but the varying angles a straight line course would cut across both parallels and meridians properly drawn on it would again accurately steer one onto that course. And with understanding and some math, it should be possible to plot great circle routes instead, so that following the complicated schedule of bearing variations should at least minimize distance. Of course sailing ships can rarely if ever keep straight courses, but if they can determine their global coordinates, they can adjust their course so as to take best advantage of currents and winds while keeping their destination "in sight" as it were.

In general, they are not going to be any better off than anyone else at estimating longitude, until someone develops maritime chronometers. Which ought to be the better part of a thousand years from this point in the narrative!

However, in local Leifervald waters, as I suggest magnetic deviation and dip, combined with recent knowledge of the current location of the magnetic pole plus lore of regional magnetic anomalies, should give them two more variables besides latitude that in combination with knowledge of true north, can pin them down pretty well. Leifervaldic geography may be no better than other European in the low latitudes and in general around the world, but in their home waters and lands, they should be able to chart things with great accuracy!

Also the phenomenon of the wandering pole, and of magnetic dip angle, might accelerate useful philosophizing about the nature of magnetism generally and perhaps lead to precocious developments in electromagnetics, although these must largely wait for good and inexpensive wire, ironworks, and sources of current.
---------
Anyway, it seems you wish to jump start the European age of exploration, and given superior naval storable foodstuffs, bigger ships, and very canny navigation it might be doable. The earlier Europeans can cross on ships though, the less their relative advantages over Native Americans in particular across the board, and the smaller the numbers they can afford to send are. Thus you might have an agenda of further softening the blow of European hegemony on the Natives of the western hemisphere. If Iberian, French, or Cymro-British invaders start leapfrogging across the Atlantic hundreds of years earlier, their weapons as I said are not all that superior to Mesoamerican or Andean ones, their numbers not so overwhelming, assuming somewhat slower sea voyages and lower rates of endemic disease back home their inadvertent bio-arsenal is scantier and slower to deploy, and so despite doubtless daunting performance, their invasion will be less devastating and overwhelming. Odds are they will be limited to footholds and forced over time to come to terms with native bastions and negotiate trade as in Asia or at this point in history, Africa. In turn the time this buys the Western Native peoples while they suffer sporadically advancing demographic collapse before European populations and technologies become overwhelming gives them time to regroup, start adopting more advanced tech, muster their numbers which though decimated are still large compared to what Europe can yet project, and getting into the game of alliances among more or less equals hold them in check at certain points indefinitely, with much, perhaps the majority, of the Western Hemisphere remaining under Native political control to this day. They may be massively transformed culturally, but this will be to a great extent on their own terms, and if the demographic collapse starts a couple centuries earlier, it should also hit bottom that much earlier--say 1700 or so, and perhaps earlier still if time bought and cultural adaptation to disease allows them to rally relatively earlier after a collapse of less magnitude. So say that by 1600 they have hit bottom, and retain say half their OTL (high counter) numbers as of 1491, then we see just as Europe is entering a period of decisive hegemony (and indeed OTL this would not be apparent for another 200 years though by then I think, well on the road to unstoppable) the West lands are all caught up and stabilized, and probably able to participate in the Atlantic world expansion as members of a sort rather than prime victims.

I didn't start this post out intending to encourage you to wank European transAtlanticism, but now it looks pretty good upon thinking about it. It means misery for hundreds of millions of people earlier than OTL, but less overall misery by a whole lot. Just bear in mind, if a European Great Ship can cross the Atlantic in 1200 instead of 1500, that doesn't mean the Great Ship is in every way as good as the OTL caravel or galleon! Though it might be better provisioned! Anyway, Europe does not have the teeming numbers nor the early modern states needed to back enterprises on the scale of OTL Conquistadors nor the English/British program or the global reach of the Portuguese or Dutch. Not yet; those might come sooner than 1500 but not overnight from 1200.

And the compass probably has to wait a hundred years or more, and by the time it is known in the New World, the region is already pretty well charted anyway. Still think it comes in handy though!

Mann, knowing these facts are in fact more widely realized nowadays, focuses in early chapters on the contest between the much less populous and developed northeastern peoples and the incoming English Puritan invaders of the early 17th century, when the European advantage was presumably all the greater, and shows that in practice, English musketry and armor and even horses don't give the immigrants all that decisive an advantage over Native stone arrows and other weapons, and their own approach to cloth armor.

While the vikings do not have Muskets they do have Crossbows, and while flint arrows are very sharp and could pierce cloth armor they wouldn't be able to piece Chain mail/Lamellar, and with most warriors having at least some form of Metal protection Native sharp weapons should have less of an effect, however war clubs will still be an issue but a sword should at least give the Norse something of an Advantage in Melee combat.

Sheer numbers of Natives help overturn the odds considerably

The number of Natives were not so high in the Northern areas where the Norse are inhabiting, however they are to the south which is putting a hinder large colonization of the Continental United States.

But also remember that there are a large number of Natives that are allied to the Norse and back them up in most conflicts

Sea voyages with a fixed complement of crew and passengers aboard tend to limit the spread of virulent infections if the stages are long enough.

Well all these points about disease are true, but you need to remember that there are some pretty well populated cities in Leifrvalde that can harbor and evolve their own diseases, especially with Rats infesting the North American continent by now. Which is why earlier in the TL I mentioned the Norse had a fair bit of domesticated Cats hanging around.

Interestingly you have this custom of Liefervalders heading east individually across the Atlantic to find slave brides in Europe

That was early in the History, decades have past and the Church authorities aren't exactly happy about Raiding from fellow Christians. That and now that they have their own large and stable population there are enough born Women to marry off.

Whereas an adventurous and ambitious man who has found that some Skraelings are not so hard to get along with, who has grown up in contact with some and so knows one of their languages

Actually this is where most Norse Skraeling mixes come from, people living on the Frontier having more interactions with Skraelings end up mixing with them as none of them have any social hierarchy that could prevent them from doing things.

Despite being heir to relatively vigorous Eurasian immunity alleles, the Vinlanders will be little better off than the Skraelings versus certain terrible diseases!

True they would be less immune to certain European diseases and as contact increases so will exchange of disease both ways. Like what I said earlier, the Cities in Leifrvalde can develop their own diseases and with the different territories very closely linked through trade will most likely adapt to being able to stay within a host for long sea voyages. So that means the people in both the New and Old world will get diseases they are near completely unfamiliar to, and with the Black plague already causing a good bit of death and destruction in Europe it's going to be one big funfest!

Then again, with the Norse New Worlders having a much better diet allowing them to have much more healthy bodies could probably take some of the diseases and make a come back sooner or later.

We need to consider too at what point horses get loose from Liefervaldian hands, and some sort of riding culture spreads far beyond the bounds of the current Liefer/Skraeling front to otherwise more or less untouched people.

While this will most likely happen eventually; there aren't very many Horses compared to the OTL colonies in the Americas, while there are hardy Icelandic ponies that are used for agriculture but aren't suitable for riding.

There is also some evidence that Horses actually evolved in the Americas but due to overhunting (by Predatory animals as well as humans) they had died out while those that Migrated across the land bridge thrived and were eventually domesticated.

Also you have to consider that Taming horses isn't very easy, Horses are big and if you annoy a wild one too much one of their kicks can give a concussion or Worse, that alone should be enough to keep Natives weary of them for at least a few hundred years.

it isn't just making bigger ships nor merely learning more about sailing in crosswinds

Of course not, it also requires lots of Experience which was originally gained by accidental knocking off course.

I believe one factor in the European ability to venture on literally global scales by 1500 was developing better methods of keeping more or less edible and potable food and drink in storage for longer. Perhaps you can argue that Vinlandic developments give them a little edge here

Well given the Norse had been a Sea faring people and the settlement of the Northern Atlantic Islands have taught them the significance of all of it. And when you consider the Northern route it is much quicker than crossing the Atlantic to the south as because of the spherical shape of the earth even going from Canada to Scotland would be much quicker than from North Carolina to Spain. Then when you consider all the resting points it seems much quicker.

And as I mentioned before, the current of the Gulf stream is being taken advantage of by the Norse and they use that to get to the Heitteyjar (azores) albeit it still requires significant rowing with oars.

start adopting more advanced tech

This is a very disputed and complicated issue, in OTL many Natives didn't build up smithies or raise livestock even hundreds of years after the first European settlement of the Americas. Now there are multiple thought reasons for this"

1. Metallurgy is hard to learn, easier just to trade for whatever they need

2. Europeans keeping the secrets of Metal working away from them on purpose

3. By the time they get close enough to Europeans to learn many of these traits they will already be well on their way to being assimilated

In this TL it's a fuse of all three, and when you consider that most Iron products that had at first been made from local bog Iron have been outdated by the much more robust material from Iron mines in Thorkellsborg and some other places. And also considering only about 1% of Native peoples in the Americas know what a Norse person is.

If Iberian, French, or Cymro-British invaders start leapfrogging across the Atlantic hundreds of years earlier

Considering that the title of Paramount chief in Leifrvalde is also considered "All Land west of Iceland" in a way they see all of the Americas as theirs in the same way the Spanish did. And while they probably could establish Hegemony in North America because by the time other Europeans get interested Leifrvalde will have literally Millions of people in it and once the little ice age comes there will most definitely be an incentive to move south. Perhaps Europeans could get their hands on the Caribbean and central america and everything south, but trying to colonize north of Florida will start some territorial disputes (if nothing else the Norse will argue for the Skraelings rights to the land).

Yeah, sorry for not updating yet.. again...
Been slicing my writing time in half with one half writing this and the other the ISOT I'm working on. Oh who am I kidding, I've been slacking on that too!
I may make another small TL or something of the like in order to try and end this writers block I've been forcing myself to trudge through.

But that Brings me to this question, have the latest of these Updates been not as good as they used to? I get the feeling they might but I can't say for certain.

1140-1144

In Britain, Gruffydd ap Hywel had been working on consolidating more power in Scotland. He had the backing of the figurehead king and could do as he pleased in Scottish territory but he wanted it official, of course doing so would cause large amounts of revolts among some of the Scottish nobility that would already be very unnerved by the Welsh domination. Then came a brutal campaign of assassination of Scottish nobles in one night after which the King of Scotland had died a natural death supposedly and a Welsh army moved into Scotland and Gruffydd had declared himself a descendant of Coel Hen and High King Arthur deserving of the title Emperor of all Brittania. He had even created a day of celebration where the 'reconquest' of Britain and many traditional Celtic celebrations would be held, even reviving some that hadn't been in use for centuries.

In the land far to the Northwest were a group of brave men who discovered the vast north flowing river and the entrances into the great Pacific ocean. With funding from the Allthing many resupply stations were created along the Hellulands to allow easier passage along the North waters, many of these resupply stations had also acted as trading areas in which Skraelings had traded many things in return for Iron, cloth, copper jewelry, and other assorted things. Said stations had slowly grew with Allthing sponsored relocation of Icelandic refugees after a winter storm left many poor.

At the mouth of the great Northern river as it was soon called there had been a large station with forty-seven people inhabiting it. However up the river a new Monastery was established that had acted as a center for converting native Skraelings. The man Thorkell Ivarsson who had been part of the original voyage to the great Northern river and the great Western ocean had been interested in the Western ocean. At the same time a well educated priest at the Monastery had knew of the roundness of the Earth and with the discovery of the Western ocean could it be that it connected with the Ocean near the lands of Arabia and India that stretched so very far? The Priest whom's name has been lost to history had openly discussed this with some of his colleagues and monks. With the monastery having some contact with the station it had found it's way to many of the more adventurous men's ears'. It would be discussed as idle imagination for many years.

In Storfoss, the silver mining had given an economic boost to the town. while being one of few Leifrvalde territories being capable of growing Gulurskera in large amounts land was being cleared at a very large rate to support the very efficient and nutritious crop. Cats had to be bred in large amounts to keep rats and mice away.
The town was also beginning to become a popular site to visit from Merchants and the Wealthy to gain a look at the Falls which was the Largest waterfall in the Known world.

In Rusland, much weaponry had been bought from Scandinavia much of which was mined from Sweden's vast Iron supply. However it was here that the first largely deployed units of Cavalry equipped with a new type of Crossbow that allowed easier reloading on a Horse given that metal stirrups are used.
It was inevitable but the tensions with the Cumans were about to spill over, and when war had finally broke out the Cumans were able to sweep through southern Rus taking severe casualties on both sides, however the defenders of the city of Oleshye were able to hold the city and the Dnieper river and it's western bank allowing them to resupply via the river.

However as the more the Cumans tried to pierce north the much more harder it became for their style of nomadic-horse dependent warfare as their horses were less effective in the forests and had little defense against men armed with crossbows that have been theorized by historians albeit not proven to engage in a form of guerrilla warfare in addition with the open battles. After months of fighting the Cumans had found too little food to pillage and while they had been trying to pierce further North to get into a tactical position to cross into Western Rus they had been exposing a weak spot to the south due to lack of stable supply routes and most of the military's focus being to the North.

When the army of Oleshye managed to break through the Cuman forces on the eastern bank of the Dnieper river supported by recently hired Lithuanian and some Gothic Mercenaries that would be promised lands near the Volga River. Swiftly retaking land the Rus forces then had decided to turn their attention to the main Cuman forces to the North, however while weakened the Cumans still managed to beat back any attempts to attack their positions albeit they couldn't take any more ground.

Eventually what defeated the Cumans were not the Rus warriors or their mercenaries but fellow Cumans that had ended the war. With Promises of high position within the confederacy many Cuman chiefs betrayed the Confederation. The War soon ended and the Promises to the rebel chieftains were never fulfilled with some of them dying in combat and the ones who made it out alive had been silenced by the Rus with knowledge of these promises only being made known to the world in modern times after archaeological findings.

The remaining Cumans had been devastated, they had lost much of their Men and Horses which were a matter of life and death on the Steppe. The Rus in their victory had taken a large amount of their territory and also made them Vassals, however the Cumans had not been overly mistreated under the Vassalazation and While all chieftains and major political figures had to have political hostages in Kiev. The military might of Rus ha never been stronger and after one year they sent a force out to conquer the Volga Bulgars which had varying degrees of success. With the Cumans being able to directly link the Rus into the Silk road the Byzantines were about to gain a competitor for Asiatic goods in Northern Europe.

Pacific Vikings :winkytongue:

Celtic Britannia :winkytongue: (excepting the Whole genocide-part)

A strong Rus-state :winkytongue:

Speaking of ripple effects, all this abundance in the New world; will there be founded Companies solely intent on making money in the Leifsvralde. Perhaps a "shipping" Company delivering to Europe or vice-versa?
Logically, when looking at OTL and increased trade it seems inevitable, but I just don't know. The Norse were quite tribal after all, so maybe never capitalism arises in OTL's sense, internally at least?

Pacific Vikings :winkytongue:

Well not yet, more like they have something of an Idea of the Pacific Ocean.

And Like it said, most of the people settling the Hellulands have a good bit of Native blood in them. They probably look more like an Inuit than a Norse.

But sadly when the Medieval warm period goes and the little Ice age comes the Northwestern Passage is going to be a tad more difficult to go around.

Celtic Britannia :winkytongue: (excepting the Whole genocide-part)

Yes Brittania is under Welsh Rule, but for how long? ;)

A strong Rus-state :winkytongue:

Yes, this is something people never actually do. They always try and go the same rout that they always do and try and have the Mongols just sweep through Europe easily with no resistance whatsoever and somehow thats supposed to make Vinland more powerful?

Speaking of ripple effects, all this abundance in the New world; will there be founded Companies solely intent on making money in the Leifsvralde. Perhaps a "shipping" Company delivering to Europe or vice-versa?

One day perhaps, but with their technology level Crossing the Atlantic even with all the rest stops is still no joke and profits are small given th need to transport such distance, maybe in three hundred years or so it will be possible. But for now the idea of a company or corporation isn't even around.

The Norse were quite tribal after all

The Old Norse were Tribal, the Norse in Leifrvalde are much less barbaric then their ancestors. Though they do still get their hands dirty from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.