Status
Not open for further replies.
Were it only that an ongoing TL existed based on the 'Erik the Red ends up in Newfoundland instead of Greenland, names it Greenland, finds greenland and calls it 'Great Iceland' during his exploration while an outlaw. Brings people to Greenland, not Great Iceland. GI is a waypoint at best' from a long dead Vinland discussion thread existed.

The one that spawned this image:
vinland-exploration-png.195579

A successful colony there might have no reason to respond to the Christianization of Iceland, due to resource independence, or even delay/block said christianization by providing a place other than Norway for Iceland to trade, when the christianization depended on an embargo among other things.
Or maybe it wouldn't. Either way, it'd be interesting to see a timeline where OTL Greenland got the attention it deserved.

Either way, it'd be interesting to see a timeline where OTL Greenland got the attention it deserved.

I have plans for Greenland later in the TL.

I hope to continue this TL to at the very least the 1860s and maybe up until the OTL World Wars to try and make eras that are included with a Norse America.

So you can bet Greenland is going to get some attention sooner or later ;)

I have plans for Greenland later in the TL.

I hope to continue this TL to at the very least the 1860s and maybe up until the OTL World Wars to try and make eras that are included with a Norse America.

So you can bet Greenland is going to get some attention sooner or later ;)
Well, that's a mistranslation of my tone if ever I've seen one.
When I say 'the OTL greenland got the attention it deserved', I mean 'totally ignored because it's a frigid pisshole'.
A timeline where norsemen never have a reason to seriously apply themselves to settling it.

Well, that's a mistranslation of my tone if ever I've seen one.
When I say 'the OTL greenland got the attention it deserved', I mean 'totally ignored because it's a frigid pisshole'.
A timeline where norsemen never have a reason to seriously apply themselves to settling it.

Greenland isn't that bad, they apparently have one of the largest deposits of Uranium in the world and also a hella bunch of gold.

As well as being a good place to launch naval assaults against northern Britain, but I'm beginning to say too much...

Well the TL is now 1 year old, I'll try and get an update in tomorrow.

EDIT: welp it seems whenever I say something is going to come out the universe wants to make a liar out of me, but I'll try and get it in soon

Last edited:
Okay so there won't be as much places in this update and it's mainly going over things that need following up.

1158-1161

In Leifrvalde, reports of an open ocean along the west from Helluland traders had brought forth the Theory that Leifrvalde was situated on a very large Island. For a few years mappers had discussed how the Island was shaped or if it was an Island or if the sea these men had seen were only a large bay with a narrow opening in the northern waters or a saltwater lake. However there was only one way to prove this, when a rich member of the Allthing had become interested in this and petitioned the Paramount chief to order an expedition to the south. An Expedition led by Ulf Haraldsson and fifteen other men, these men were noted to be unmarried and specifically chosen for that as it was expected it would not be a short voyage.

When Ulf had begun his venture he had immediately noticed that the further south one goes the more densly populated the Skraelings are, This of course is the primary reason why no major Norse settlement had occurred south of Thorskurland.

When Ulf had rounded the Peninsula of Myriland he had already thought to examine the highly rumored Aurdreki that was within the southern lands. After taking a dozen pelts and skulls of the beasts he continued on his voyage.

Ulf had eventually stumbled upon the Skraelings that built so great stone temples and had vast amounts of gold. The Norse had decided to peacefully trade with the Skraelings before leaving to go even further south, they did have ambitions of raiding these particular Skraelings but didn't want to drag gold with them along their journey. With replenished food stocks Ulf had ventured south where the coastline dipped straight south, hoping that this was what they were hoping for in that it would curve west showing a peninsula proving that Leifrvalde was situated on a large Island rather than part of the continent connected to Europa and the Orient. They were soon proven wrong as they continued and the Land was still in sight, some of the men wanted to return home but Ulf had forbade it refusing to return home empty handed with only paltry discoveries that had been known for nearly a century now.

At this point the story gets convoluted and the distance the party traveled is unknown but they did secure the small pelt and skeleton of a "Man-Squirrel" which they deemed an interesting discovery as Ulf had believed it to be the offspring of Squirrels and a Woman. Apparently according to one variation of the story it had walked up to the Norse travelers and attempted to steal food nonchalantly, one of the crew had been enamored with the creatures as they reminded him of small children; they had even attempted to take it with them alive but it could not survive off of fish and other Human staple foods. Thinking no one would believe him he had the creature skinned and the skeleton encased.
The story goes on to say that he went even further south to a great bay. At that point however Ulf and the crew had given up on finding any western ocean and begun to travel back home, however they did bring back several Aurdreki pelts and skulls from Aurland and Myriland.

In Britain, an Alliance had begun to form between the Kingdom of Ireland and the Kingdom of Dumnonia. In an effort to deny the Kingdom of Great Ebrauc from conquering petty warlords to the south and thus gaining more power to conquer both Ireland and Dumnonia the King of Ireland Cecil ap Merfyn would have troops stationed in Ulster and would raid the shoreline if any large amount of troops went south and the Dumnonians slowly began conquering petty warlords slowly becoming a power to be reckoned with.

The reaction of Ebrauc however was not to sit back and wait for an opportunity but to launch an outright invasion of Ulster. The goal was not to conquer but to eliminate the armies in Northern Ireland, with Dumnonia not yet being sufficiently powerful enough to make any bold moves had begrudgingly allowed Ebrauc to ravage Northern Ireland into the state it was in before the founding of the various Norse towns. However this did buy them enough time to conquer and expand their power base across southern Britain eventually taking up all of the original Welsh homeland after the self proclaimed Prince of Gwynedd surrendered. The Scottish enclaves in the far North managed to lay low and stay out of Ebrauc's attention biding their time.

Finally caught back up, and still this TL is a good one! I second the call for a map. It's really hard to keep all these TTL names straight that I am lost.

Man squirrel?

I thought it was obvious what they were, what is an Animal that resembles Humans but also inhabits the trees as well as having a habit for stealing shiny things.

Monkeys.

I thought it was quite funny that they thought it was the child of a human woman and a squirrel although it is completely believable considering some of the other things that people believed back then.

Yaaarr, this smells of Jotunheim and Loki's work.
May your valiant update feast in the halls of Valhalla, where there are no program crashes, plenty of map's and even GIF's!

But in all seriousness, I'm very sorry to hear that.

Have you given any thought to ITTL's languages? The British Isles will obviously be different due to the whole genocidal maniac ruler thingy, and an Iberia united actively fighting in North Africa might coalesce to some degree the portugese, galician, castillian, leonese, asturian and catalan into a more common tongue?
To put it bluntly, would someone from Leifsvralde understand someone from Bjørgvin(Bergen, Norway)?

Also, believe it or not: the update being lost wasn't bad enough and because of stupid relatives staying here for a few days my house got caught on fire and we had to get firefighters.

golly gee I think someones trying to mess with me a bit too much.

Have you given any thought to ITTL's languages

Yes actually, although I haven't done much with it yet. The new world is going to have plenty of Gaelic and Skraeling influences, Britain is probably going to get a surge of Brythonic and other Welsh influences (that is only if they go unmolested from outside powers).

an Iberia united actively fighting in North Africa might coalesce to some degree the portugese, galician, castillian, leonese, asturian and catalan into a more common tongue?

Well Leonese is the lingua franca, however due to people who fight in the army are rewarded with land it means that a whole assembly of cultures intermingle in the conquered territory. Most of Iberia and Africa is like this and the main power base is this assembly on languages that will slowly meld into one.

To put it bluntly, would someone from Leifsvralde understand someone from Bjørgvin(Bergen, Norway)?

Depends on the time period, a few words may have changed across the Atlantic but at the moment in the TL they should understand each other just fine with exception of a small handful of words. In say, 800 years? No they will not be able to understand each other but they will have similar pronunciations, so it would be like a modern English speaker trying to understand middle English that's in a heavy Jamaican accent. Of course learning the language would probably be pretty easy compared to learning something entirely alien but there will still probably be some language barrier for people.

not really, I mean it was my fault for letting stupid people like that stay there.

We told them not to smoke in the house but it was too cold apparently.

Luckily I lost very few stuff, although they lost pretty much all they had though so I guess I shouldn't be that mad at them

Sorry about your house. I had one go up in smoke several years ago. Stand firm with the insurance company.

Status
Not open for further replies.