"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

I.7. Reactions in the Romanian Lands

Zagan

Donor
Our Emperor made sure that everyone would only talk about him and his deeds.
And he seemed very pleased, despite the overwhelmingly negative reactions.
Today we would say: There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Reactions in the Romanian Lands

News of the events in Alba Iulia started to spread like wildfire in Transylvania and beyond.
The Romanian peasants and the Romanian Orthodox priests were obviously delighted.
The Unio Trium Nationum were obviously not. The former rulling classes of the Hungarian nobility, Saxon burghers and Szekler soldiers were experiencing various states of anguish, hatred and despair.
The first reactions abroad were those of plain stupor.

14 August 1601, Hermannstadt (Sibiu), Romanian Lands

Mayor: "I still do not know what to make of all this. First he sends this letter to us, because it was certainly sent before arriving in Weißenburg." (Alba Iulia)
Bishop: "That is certain indeed."
M: "He asks us to publicly submit to his rule, which is understandable. Then he tells us about his plans to unite the countries and all that weird claims about his nation... As if all that might be of any interest to us!"
B: "Yes, strange indeed."
M: "And now, less than a day later, this! He suddenly kills the whole Diet, including our representatives, then assumes absolute power and changes each and all laws of this Land as it pleases him."
B: "He is very bold indeed. In one day, everything has been turned upside down. The peasants are not merely made our equals, but the whole country is literally given to them. Not to speak about their religion..." (shrugs)
M: "Yes, and now his peasants are revolting, attacking their masters and chasing them away! What times do we have the unfortune to live in!"
B: "It could have been worse. At least nobody is attacking us."
M: "Yet!"
B: "But what could we do? We are powerless against his army."
M: "We can only hope that the Emperor will come and put things back on their normal track."
B: "Don't be so sure. After all, the Emperor is a catholic. Things may get even worse. As far as I know, we still have freedom of religion. Nobody tries to make us Orthodox..."
M: "Yet! However you are right about the fact that we are powerless. It seems that the Hungarian nobles are doomed. About the Szeklers I don't know, but it can't hurt if we talk to them. As for us, I think that we don't have other solutions, except to arrange an accomodation with our Voivode."
B: "We shall coordinate our actions with the other seats."
M: "Yes, yes. We shall arrange for a meeting. And invite the Szeklers as well. A coordinated policy can only do good to our cause. And we shall try very hard not to anger the Voivode. We have already seen that he does not respond well when angered."
B: "I am going to write the letters right now."
M: "Yes, do that. There is no time to waste."

Similar conversations were taking place later that day and in the following days in all Saxon Seats in Transylvania.
The Szeklers, traditionally allied with Mihai were aslo amenable, despite the fact that several of their leaders in Alba Iulia had been purged as well.
Finally, both the Saxons and the Szeklers agreed to meet in Mediasch (Mediaș) on 20 August in order to devise a common plan of action. It was however almost a foregone conclusion that acquiescence was the only reasonable solution.
Even before the 20 August conference, some Seats had already unofficially informed Mihai about their intention to become faithful citizens of the Romanian Lands. The fate of their former allies, the Hungarian Landlords was already forgotten. It was all about politics after all.

16 August 1601, Feudal domain in Kolozs County (Județul Cluj)

Landlord: "I've made up my mind. We shall attempt to flee after nightfall."
Wife (crying): "Isn't there anything we can do to save the house at least? We can give them some land..."
Son: "Mother, they do not want only our land and our house. They want our heads as well."
L: "It's true, my dear. And sadly, there is nothing we can do to stop them. It was extremely difficult to stop Dózsa (Gheorghe Doja) in 1514 and we had the army and the King on our side back then. Now we are alone and the Vlachs are emboldened by their murderous voivode and his army."
S: "They've already killed those unable or unwilling to leave. And the women..."
L: "Shut up. Do not scare your mother, you'ld better try to comfort her... Why are you being so stupid? It's alright, my dear, the servants have packed everything and we will soon escape to safety."
W: "Will we ever come back?"
L: "Of course, my dear. The Emperor will come with all his might against this bloody Vlach usurper. We will be back... With a vengeance!"

This particular noble Hungarian family managed to escape to Austria with horrific stories about the Revolution taking place in Transylvania. Many others were not so fortunate.

18 August 1601, Bucureșcĭ (Bucharest), Wallachia

Boyar: "So, we have reached a conclusion. The Divan of Wallachia have unanimously decided to abolish the country and fully integrate it into the Romanian Lands, alongside Transylvania and Moldavia, under the Great Voivode and Lord Mihailŭ Viteazu.
We also take note with great joy of the decision of the Holy Synod who, thus doing God's work, have established the Autocephalous Romanian Orthodox Church in its own rights all over the Romanian Lands.
This Divan will continue to function in caretaking capacity until its functions will be superseded by the new Romanian Senat.
So help us God."
All: (applause)

At the same time, the Wallachian army, camped near the Moldavian border were bewildered by the orders just recieved from the Voivode: the expected invasion of Moldavia was postponed sine die.
Just how was the proclaimed Unification of the Romanian Lands going to be enforced? Would the Moldavians and their Polish backers simply fold to the threat and relinquish power? Or will Vodă attempt to bribe them? It was a mistery.

19 August 1601, Eașĭ (Iași), Moldavia

Voivode Eremia Movilă: "I can not read those damn Latin letters. What does he want now?"
Boyar: "Măria Ta, I think he's lost his mind..."
EM: "What?"
B: "Well... He is informing you that you are no longer Voivode because Moldavia no longer exists. He says that Transylvania, Wallachia and Moldavia are merged into a single country called the Romanian Lands and he is its one and only Voivode. And lots of other crazy things..."
EM: "It seems that you are right. Poor creature!... Still he can be dangerous. After all, he controls both Wallachia and Transylvania now. And he has defeated us before... At least now we have the Poles to protect our freedom."
B: "As long as the Poles are here, we are not free..."
EM (laughing): "Yes, I know that, but at least they do not want to destroy us and annex the country."
B: "What shall we do then, Măria Ta?"
EM: "Do? Nothing of course. Did he threaten us with an invasion?"
B: "Strangely, no."
EM: "Then, as I said. We shall do nothing. Pretend that no such letter has ever arrived. If he finally invades us, let the Poles do the fighting. You are excused now."

Unknown to them, the news about the emancipation of the Transylvanian peasants was inexorably spreading amongst the Moldavian peasantry and a revolt was brewing in their midst.

20 August 1601, Suceava, Moldavian Metropolitan Orthodox Seat

The Metropolitan Bishop: "What do you think about this Autocephaly, Vladimir?"
Vladimir: "I think it is nothing but a tool in the hands of the Wallachian Voivode to strenghten his rule."
MB: "Yes, it may be so... But breaking up with the Greeks ensures that all that money we pay to the Greek Churches and Monasteries will remain in the country instead. And believe me, we are talking about lots of money."
V: "But the Greeks will probably excommunicate us all! It is a schism!"
MB: "So, the Greeks are there in the Lands of the Turk and we are here. And besides, our Church including all the Wallachian and Transylvanian Orthodox believers will be greater than the Church of the Greeks! And I will be its Patriarch. I could excommunicate all of them as well if I please."
V: "Forgive me, Your Eminence, but I think that power and greed have darkened your reason."
MB: "I have not decided anything yet, Vladimir. As you know, this kind of problems must be discussed in the Synod. I shall convene it for the day after tomorrow. I hope that this peasant revolt will not engulf the whole country by then."

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Questions

1. About when will Europe find out about what happened in the Romanian Lands? How fast would information / gossip travel (not intentionally like couriers or something, more like gossip).

2. Will anyone care / discuss / comment? I mean, it's like a bedlam right now!

3. Besides those directly interested (neighbours), would anyone else actually attempt to do anything about it? Like a Great Coalition or something.

4. Would anyone speak / negotiate / do business with someone considered illegitimate / usurper like Mihai, if in their own interests (e.g. enemies of Rudolf etc)? Or would that be considered unprincipled?

5. Any other thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I.8. And Reactions Abroad

Zagan

Donor
[Emperor Mihai] was lucky that everyone underestimated him
as long as they were still able to vanquish him.

... And Reactions Abroad

22 August 1601, Warsaw, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

King Sigismund read the letter sent by Voivode Mihai with great interest and curiosity, smiling or frowning several times.

Sigismund: "Is this some kind of joke?"
Noble #1: "I don't think so, Sire. Voivode Mihai is really that brave."
S: "Should I feel insulted?"
N1: "I don't think so, Sire. I assume that he simply wanted to assert himself. To show more self confidence and power than he actually has."
S: "Yes, that may be correct. Anyway, I feel more amused than offended... Tell me, how are our prospects of keeping him out of Moldavia if he decides to invade?"
Noble #2: "Sadly, Sire, close to none. We simply do not have enough men. If he invades from both Transylvania and Wallachia, there is absolutely nothing we can do to save Mohyła (Ieremia Movilă)."
S: "But we can always send more men there, can't we?"
N2: "Of course we can... If the Sejm approves another war, under these new circumstances. And anyway, even if we send another army, it will not be there quick enough."
S: "Why should the circumstances be any different. Why should we care if Voivode Mihai proclaimed a new state? He does not have the legitimacy to do so, does he?"
N2: "Ahem... Your Majesty... What I meant by the different circumstances was that Voivode Mihai will soon be at war with his former protector, Emperor Rudolf. And this could work in our favour."
S: "Whatever. I do not... Well, we could wait and let Emperor Rudolf... Let's see first what Emperor Rudolf will do."
N1: "Your Majesty is very skilled at politics."
N2: "Yes, this is correct. Your majesty is always thinking at what is best for our country."
S: "Then I shall receive his embassy, shan't I?"
N1: "I think so as well, Sire."

23 August 1601, Warsaw

The following day, Sigismund III received the Romanian embassy. They talked for over two hours and although no treaty was signed, the talks could be nevertheless considered a success.
The Romanian part insisted on Romanian unity and independence while offering all kinds of concessions. Sigismund was polite but noncommital.

The most important offer of the Romanians was to promise the future handover of the whole of Taurida, including both Cherson and the Crimean Peninsula as a gift to Poland-Lithuania.
The value of that land at the Black Sea was enormous. There was of course the little issue that the territory in question was a Tatar inhabited Ottoman province! However, Mihai's envoy was adamant that a victorious war against the Ottomans was to be waged in the near future.

In the end, Sigismund promissed to bring all the relevant issues to the attention of the Sejm as soon as possible.
Although he did not commit to anything, Sigismund suggested he recognized Mihai's rule over Wallachia and Transylvania and seemed interested to talk about the important problem of Moldavia.

The only real immediate success of the Romanian delegation was Sigismund's assurance that he wished peace between his and Mihai's realms and the offer to withdraw his army to the fortress of Hotin (Khotyn) in order to let the Moldavians decide their fate unhindered by the presence of his troops.

It would soon become apparent that Sigismund only wanted to stall and no real decision was to be expected in the near future.

23 August 1601, Constantinople, Ottoman Empire

Safiye Valide Sultan was very pleased. She had just finished reading the letter sent by Voivode Mihai, written in flawless Ottoman Turkish.
While the unification of the three Romanian Lands was certainly not a positive development, at least Mihai was considering to become an Ottoman vassal again. With a lot of conditions attached, of course, like full internal independence, economical and political freedom and so on. It would actually mean only a nominal Ottoman suzerainty.
But Safiye had other reasons to be pleased. Not only was Mihai firmly out of the anti-Ottoman coalition, but a war between him and the Habsburgs seemed certain. And while Rudolf will be waging war against Mihai in Transylvania, Vienna will be hopefully left unprotected. Yes, it was a chance to finally win the war against the Habsburgs. Mihai could be dealt with later...
And the looming schism inside the Rum Millet! It almost looked too good to be true. Having the Greeks and the Vlachs quarrel with one other was exceptionally good news...
I have to send an embassy there. This Mihai Voivode must be certainly encouraged... For the time being.

Later that day, the Patriarchy of Constantinople

Patriarch: "This is a schism."
Bishop #1: "It is a heresy! A blasphemy!"
Bishop #2: "We must excommunicate them all!"
P: "Excommunicate one million of our fellow Orthodox Christians? For the attempted heresy of some of their leaders?"
Bishop #3: "Let's excommunicate their leaders then!"
P: "They will probably follow their bishops anyway. The peasants will probably never even know of any excommunication!"
B2: "We can not just let them go their ungodly ways and do nothing..."
B3: "We shall better try to reason with them and hear their grievances."
P: "That is what we shall do. Send a mission to our misguided colleagues and talk them out of their wicked ways."

25 August 1601, Venice

Noble: "What shall we do about this?"
Il Doge: "It is obviously none of our concern. Anything else?"

28 August 1601, Rome, Papal States

Pope Clement VIII looked at the letter again. The situation was very confusing and the enmity between the Emperor and Voivode Mihai was extremely unwelcomed.
First of all, did the Emperor actually try to have Mihai killed? Knowing the Emperor personally, the answer was probably, unfortunately, positive.
On the other hand, was Mihai's reaction appropriate? The way he insulted the Emperor? Most certainly not. However... Oh, it was really complicated.
Maybe Mihai was working with the Turks... After all, a war inside the anti-Ottoman coalition could only help the Turks. But the way he spoke against the Ottomans and his conviction that the Turks will be driven out of Europe...

The Pope: "Call Cardinal Pelinni. I shall send him to Alba Iulia to talk with the Romanian Voivode and try to contain the damage already done."

Note: The storm in Prague (25 August) really deserves a separate chapter...

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
This is a map of Europe in A.D. 1600.
It shows quite faithfully the political situation at the beginning of TTL.

Europe_map_1600.jpg

There are a few differencies though:
1. Moldavia controlls de facto its former Black Sea coast between the Danube Delta and the Dniester.
2. Transylvania's western border was not by any means fixed. It fluctuated upon the fortunes and misfortunes of the anti-Ottoman Long War.
3. Wallachia controlls de facto its former Danube Ports of Giurgiu and Turnu.
4. Ignore some foreign (German, Hungarian, Turkish etc) city names in the Romanian Lands. Now TTL there are only Romanian names in Mihai's Romanian Lands.
5. The Romanian Lands are, well, United! :cool: (pohta ce-am pohtit eu)

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
No Interest Anymore...

It seems TTL has generated some interest in the beginning which has since completely waned off.

Did I do something so wrong?

Come on! Not even some slaps on my hand?

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Most of the interest (mine included) probably comes from lurkers, as always. Go on!

I'm just following this (though not posting)

I'm interested! Promise!

Interesting TL thus far, I'm curious to the effects of an earlier Romanian nation might have.

Thank you.
I will post another chapter today.

I will love questions, comments, requests, help, etc.

Even contributions (by Personal Message, not direct Post) can be considered on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
This is a map of Europe in A.D. 1600.
It shows quite faithfully the political situation at the beginning of TTL.

(snip)[/IMG]

I frequent Euratlas' site and I have not come across this very complete, very detailed specimen. From where did you procure it?

It seems TTL has generated some interest in the beginning which has since completely waned off.

Did I do something so wrong?

Come on! Not even some slaps on my hand?

I would love to coach you with your creative writing (dialogue, etc.), because I know you've said English isn't your first language---perhaps you would appreciate some input there in the future?

I love this so far, I have to say. I want you to keep going with this, just as [I sincerely hope] people want me to keep working on my TL. Keep your chin up, as the English expression goes---don't give up.

Zagan

Donor
You forgot about Timoc, it needs to be united with Romania...

The plan is to conquer all of Ottoman Europe. It is not feasable however to hold land south of the Danube yet. The disparity of forces between the Romanian Lands and the Ottoman Empire is simply too large.

Not all of Ottoman Europe will get conquered. Timok and much more will most certainly though.

Edit: Oh, and there are other more stringent priorities north of the Danube, especially the Banat of Timișoara.

Last edited:
The plan is to conquer all of Ottoman Europe. It is not feasable however to hold land south of the Danube yet. The disparity of forces between the Romanian Lands and the Ottoman Empire is simply too large.

Spoiler: Not all of Ottoman Europe will get conquered. Timok and much more will most certainly though.

Edit: Oh, and there are other more stringent priorities north of the Danube, especially the Banat of Timișoara.

Ambitious! Can't wait!

I.9. The Prague Storm

Zagan

Donor
Michael's stunt could be considered a success, at least from a psychological point of view.
Despite the fact that Rudolf survived, Michael's enemies would never again feel safe.

The Prague Storm

25 August 1601, Prague, Bohemia, Holy Roman Empire

Rudolf was experiencing a whole plethora of emotions of which rage ruled supreme.
The situation was difficult. No, that would be an understatement. It was horrendous. Worse than he would ever have imagined possible.
Not only had that inept Basta failed to kill the damned Wallachian, but he also got himself killed, his army destroyed and then all hell broke loose in Transylvania! If only half of the horrors told by the fleeing Hungarian nobles are to be believed... He shuddered.
The bastard has to be stopped. He was no Prince anymore, he was nothing but an outlaw, the head of a peasant rebellion which threatened to spill into Royal Hungary itself.
And it was all his fault. He should have had him killed here in Prague. It was so obvious that the man was extremely dangerous, probably deranged. He should have never let him go to Transylvania again!
These Wallachians are really the people of the Devil! Their forefathers, the ancient Dacians got the ire of the Romans because of their human sacrifices mandated by their satanic religion. Then that madman impaler, Vlad the Dragon, and now this one which kills the whole Diet of the country he is supposed to rule and then gets the peasants to rise against their rulers!

Rudolf took a sip from his glass. He had to cool down a little. The Wallachian will be dealt with once and for ever. However there was trouble brewing in his realms as well.
The Turks could attack again at any moment as fresh armies were reportedly congregating in Ottoman Hungary. The peasants in Upper Hungary were getting restless. And the Bohemians...
And then paranoia struck him. Of course, everything was Mihai's fault! He colluded with the Turks. He incited the peasants in Upper Hungary. And he disseminated the information about the attempt on his life all over Germany!
Yes, it must be so. The Catholic Emperor attempted to kill his vassal, an Orthodox Prince! Now you Lutherans will be next! That's why the Bohemians are unhappy. And all the Lutheran Princes in Germany are restless. He's got all of them on his side! He be damned! This is no man! He is of the Devil!

The Emperor was furiously pacing the room, his face red with anger. After a while, getting tired, he sat and proceeded to read his horoscope. It was as bad as his mood. He punished himself and read it to completion, then resumed walking. Then the letter arrived.

Unbelievable! The damned bastard, usurper, peasant, Wallachian, Devil possessed, criminal... had the nerve to write to him!

To his Majesty, Rudolphus Secundus, Imperator Germanicorum, Rex Bohemiae et Moraviae, Rex Croatiae et Hungariae Occidentalis Septentrionalisque Partium, Magnum Dux Austriae, ...

He threw the letter on the floor and actually cursed. Everybody was too scared to say anything. Morbid curiosity won the internal psychological war with rage and he took the letter and continued reading.

It was unbelivably wordly. In the first page he was only informed about a strange dream and the attempted murder. There seemed to be another three pages at the very least. He considered throwing them into the fireplace but curiosity won again.

The pages were somehow... sticky and his fingers were extremely dry. He moistened his finger and flipped the page.
More stories... The execution of Basta and the other conspirators, the march on the Capital, the execution of the Diet, the so called unification of the three countries, more laws and proclamations... Why would I want to know all these? Well... it is always good to know your enemy better... Anguish and bad feelings started creeping from behind the words.

He flipped another page. And read the accusation with a mixture of fury and dread. This man was literally mad!

Emperor Rudolf, you may be an Emperor, King and Archduke in your lands, but you are nothing more than a criminal in my lands.
With the power invested in me as Voivode, I am judging you.
First of all, you are not Romanorum Imperator. That phrase means Emperor of the Romans. There are no Romans in your lands, but Germans, Hungarians, Croats and Bohemians. We, the Romanians, are the descendants of the Ancient Romans. And you are no Emperor of us. I am the only ruler Romanians have.
So, Romanorum Imperator is either a fraud or a delusion.
Second, you conspired to murder a sovereign head of state, leader, Great Voivode and Lord of another people from another country.
Worse, this Voivode was your faithful vassal and ally. Blood is upon your hands.
I thereby condemn you to death.
Any Romanian that has the means of executing the sentence is compelled to. Failure to do so extends the death penalty to the above mentioned Romanian.

However, in my great mercy, I may consider to forgive you if:
I. You abdicate immediately.
II. You issue a public apology.
III. You and your successor recognizes the Romanian Lands as a united, independent, single country ruled by me and my descendents in perpetuity.
IV. You stop reading this letter and throw it in a fire.

Rudolf was perspirating and trembling with rage. He tried to turn the last page and moistured his fingers again. He finally managed to turn it. There was a single line written there, in the middle of the page.

The sentence had been carried out. God have mercy upon your soul.

Last edited: