"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

Zagan

Donor
Now wait a second,the second unifier of the Romanian lands,the first one was Bathory,the man that introduce serfdom to Wallachia,decides that he is a man of the people. Interesting

And how will he succeed with out allies?

Bathory was a Hungarian. He did not bring those countries together for the Romanian's sake! The same could be said about OTL Mihai Viteazu. Not TTL though.

His hand was forced by the local boyars to introduce serfdom after the country was ransacked by the Ottomans. The unpopular measure will be rolled back ITTL.

Without allies... Yes, very, very difficult. You will see.

Last edited:
I have no knowledge of Romanian nor Latin (a bit), but this is great so far. A decent Romania-wank, and no ASB! At least, not until Mihai has to fight the Turks. Can he trick Poland and the Emperor into fighting for him, before he has to, so they're weaker? Or will a united Romania be the first target of the sultan, no matter what simply because of proximity?

Zagan

Donor
I have no knowledge of Romanian nor Latin (a bit), but this is great so far. A decent Romania-wank, and no ASB! At least, not until Mihai has to fight the Turks. Can he trick Poland and the Emperor into fighting for him, before he has to, so they're weaker? Or will a united Romania be the first target of the sultan, no matter what simply because of proximity?

The Ottomans are in a period of internal strife, called the Sultanate of Women with no strong leader.
They were (OTL, before the POD) severely beaten by Mihai Viteazu who penetrated as deep as Adrianopole.
They had actually already recognized the independence of Wallachia. Mihai Viteazu is the only Voivode who acomplished that.
OTL, between 1596 and the death of Mihai Viteazu, they did not attempt anything against him.

Conclusion: The Ottomans had not forgotten and they will certainly try to subjugate the Romanians at some time in the future. They are not in the best position to try it right now, though.

Last edited:
If you do not know any Romanian or at least some Latin, that particular linguistics post will probably be a little harder to understand, I guess.

I know no Romanian per se, but am a minor linguistics geek. I expect I'll follow enough to enjoy it.

E.g. is your u breve the same vowel (or similar) to the Soft Sign in the Slavic languages, which in Russian just softens the preceding vowel, but which, iirc, is still an independent vowel in Bulgarian (? or was until the orthography reform?).

Zagan

Donor
I know no Romanian per se, but am a minor linguistics geek. I expect I'll follow enough to enjoy it.

E.g. is your u breve the same vowel (or similar) to the Soft Sign in the Slavic languages, which in Russian just softens the preceding vowel, but which, iirc, is still an independent vowel in Bulgarian (? or was until the orthography reform?).

Yes! It is TTL and was OTL the soft sign equivalent. Great linguistic geek!

Last edited:
The Ottomans are in a period of internal strife, called the Sultanate of Women with no strong leader.
They were (OTL, before the POD) severely beaten by Mihai Viteazu who penetrated as deep as Adrianopole.
They had actually already recognized the independence of Wallachia. Mihai Viteazu is the only Voivode who acomplished that.
OTL, between 1596 and the death of Mihai Viteazu, they did not attempt anything against him.

Conclusion: The Ottomans had not forgotten and they will certainly try to subjugate the Romanians at some time in the future. They are not in the best position to try it right now, though.

I will have to brush up on this time period. I had no knowledge of the 'Sultanate of Women' until now.

I'm enjoying the linguisitics banter. Awaiting the next update!

I.2. Diplomatic Letter Send to Poland

Zagan

Donor
It could be argued that the diplomatic correspondence of Mihai, hastily written while
still gripped in the religious fervour of his dream, did more bad than good to his cause.
However, nobody can deny their importance and historical value.

Diplomatic Letter Send to Poland

If the authenticity of the List is highly debatable, the Letter still kept in Kracow (and displayed in its History Museum) has certainly been written by the Emperor himself.

To his Majesty, Sigismundus Tertium Rex Poloniae et Lituaniae Coniunctio, [...]

[...]

We are deeply saddened by the wars fought between our realms over our beloved province of Moldavia. While we can certainly understand your interest in the former Principality, we are politetly asking you to accept the fact that it no longer exists.

The Romanian Lands are now forever united and we could not tolerate the occupation of Moldavia and the imposition of a foreign Prince there any more than you would accept the same in your province of Galicia for example.

Again, we understand that your purpose was not to include Moldavia into your realms but only to have certain interests recognized and respected. If we understand it correctly, your interests are twofold: from a military point of view you desire a friendly buffer on your southern border and from an aconomic point of view, you desire unobstructed access for your crafts and merchants all the way to the Black Sea and the Sublime Porte.

In order to mentain the peace between our countries and to forge an everlasting friendship, we are ready to accomodate your interests.

First of all, you will win a large and powerful friend guarding all your southern flank from any attacks by the Turks. It is obvious that the Romanian Lands which will be much better at fending off any attempt of invasion from the south than the little powerless Moldavia.

And second, we vow to recognize any reasonable requests of economic and comercial concessions for your merchants, traders and goods in all our lands. You will have to pay the lowest taxes and tariffs and will benefit from a free port area in Albocastrum (Cetatea Albă; Akkerman), at the mouth of the Denestrum (Nistru; Dniester), which for much of its course delimits our realms.

We will even be so graceful to forget anything about Pokuttya and write off that ancient debt.

However, if your Majesty's warmongering counselors will succeed again in convincing your peace loving Majesty to go to war against us, in spite the fact that we have not harmed your realms in any way, we shall be forced to defend our country as we did in the times of Stephan the Great. And your realms will lose a faithful ally and a trading partner, Pokuttya and possibly more.

[...]

And, hoping that we and our peoples shall be friends and allies, may I start helping my future ally right now.

A new Era shall come in the civilized countries of Europe. The Era of the Nations. God Himself has opened my eyes and showed me the inevitable future.

A people becomes a Nation when it wakes up and realizes that it shares a common ancestry, a common language, religion and culture, common needs and hopes and a common glorious future. And afterwards, nothing can stand in its way to greatness.

The Romanian Nation is slowly taking shape. Other nations will undoubtely follow suit.

What will be the position of your country when it will find itself flanked from the west and north, not by German speaking countries, but by a German Nation with common goals and interests?

What will happen when your Russian speaking subjects from the eastern parts of your realm will consider themselves more like members of the Rus Nation than faithful subjects of Poland-Lithuania?

Your country has bigger problems ahead that if not timely and properly addressed could become dangerous in the near future. On the other hand, you have no reason to worry about us, since we do not need anything from your realms.

[...]

Your Majesty will most certainly think about the potential dangers to His Realms that I have revealed and will find brilliant sollutions.

However, let me mention that had I been in your Majesty's place, I would start to work in two directions. The first would be the conquest and annihilation of the enclave which is Prussia in order to have a cohesive territory and no potential enemy at the north. And the second, which may take decades, is to forge a Nation from your peoples, before the other nations start to coalesce as well.

With friendship and respect,

Io Michaelus Woiwoda Dominusque Romanorum Unitum Terram Vallachiae, Transilvaniae et Moldaviae.

AD MDCI Augustus X

[Seal]

This letter more than any other document helped make Emperor Mihai Viteazul a very popular, interesting and unusual historical character. Because of some of its percieved oddities, it led to the suspicion that he was actually insane. This slander was especially common in Germany, probably fueled by Emperor Rudolf's enmity.

The fact is that the content of the letter is definitely strange. To give only a few examples:
1. The odd way it was addressed. This came to be widely employed and known as an inglorious habit. Mihai used made-up or less frequent titles in order to make a point, usually raising some eyebrows or inviting rage. Other similar examples from different letters include: Bishop of Rome, Imperator Germanicorum, Khaliff of the Faithful.
2. Most strikingly, at the time Mihai had absolutely no power in Moldavia whatsoever, having been ousted by Polish aligned Movilă.
3. Strange or less used names like Albocastrum, Denestrum, the Sublime Porte.
4. Threatening Sigismund to take over Pokuttya (feat that he actually unsuccesfully attempted the previous year).
5. By far the most unusual part is the prescient looking advice about the rise of Nations. This has led to all types of bizarre fringe theories which abound in certain places of the Globalnet.
6. The title and seal of the Emperor.

Whatever the truth about it and the exact reasons and motivations of the Emperor, thousands of historians and laymen have spent countless hours researching and theorizing about a piece of text written in about one hour on a remote field of Transylvania.​

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
So Mihailu predicts the rise of nationalism?

Something like this.
In his dream (sent by God in his and most of his conationals belief) it received some kind of revelation about the common language of his people and the power of the masses. The rest it is inferred.

I know that it is difficult and has a low probability. But it really is difficult to forge Romania in 1600 out of virtually nothing.
Extraordinary ideas must be employed in order to achieve anything.

I am sorry if the suspension of disbelief is too much.

Last edited:
I've never been the person to suspend disbelief, but then again, I'm also the kind of person who can't make up his mind what TL to write, so it's all relative.

All I can say, is that I'm interested, and I look forward to what you can make.

Zagan

Donor
I think I need more opinions on this.
Most things are not set in stone and can be modified in order to add credibility.

I included the strange "rise of nations" bit because Mihai had a very definite plan to to do just this with his: raise the Romanian Nation.
It would naturally follow in his mind that some other nations will follow suit if shown a successful example.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I really like this. Michael the Brave TLs are awesome. Subbed.

Thank you.

P.S. I have a reasonable command of English, but it is not my native language. I do not understand what subbed means in this context. Sorry.

Last edited:
Thank you.

P.S. I have a reasonable command of English, but it is not my native language. I do not understand what subbed means in this context. Sorry.

He means he has subscribed to the thread, which I have also.

I, personally, am extremely interested to see what happens to the TTL 'Father of Nationalism'.

I think I need more opinions on this.
Most things are not set in stone and can be modified in order to add credibility.

I included the strange "rise of nations" bit because Mihai had a very definite plan to to do just this with his: raise the Romanian Nation.
It would naturally follow in his mind that some other nations will follow suit if shown a successful example.

I think it's just a -little- bit silly that he would actually dissolve the old titles (Transylvania, Moldavia, Wallachia) in favor of a united Romanian nation, rather than simply pronounce a 'Kingdom of Romania'. It's 1600. The basic concepts of nationalism are barely present in the most developed parts of the world. Although, if ever there were a place best suited for the birth of nationalism, it is a place that has been under foreign occupation and subjugation for centuries. What better place than the Danubian principalities/TTL 'Romania'? This is awesome, even if a little out-there, and I am excited to read more.

The letter to Sigismund, by the way, was perfect.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
He means he has subscribed to the thread, which I have also.

I, personally, am extremely interested to see what happens to the TTL 'Father of Nationalism'.

I think it's just a -little- bit silly that he would actually dissolve the old titles (Transylvania, Moldavia, Wallachia) in favor of a united Romanian nation, rather than simply pronounce a 'Kingdom of Romania'. It's 1600. The basic concepts of nationalism are barely present in the most developed parts of the world. Although, if ever there were a place best suited for the birth of nationalism, it is a place that has been under foreign occupation and subjugation for centuries. What better place than the Danubian principalities/TTL 'Romania'? This is awesome, even if a little out-there, and I am excited to read more.

The letter to Sigismund, by the way, was perfect.

Your encouragement is very helpful and helps keep me going on.

He wants to pronounce a Kingdom, but it has been only about 24 hours since the dream.
He is a little worried to take the title of King with no legitimacy.
A little later, taking example from history, he will find the title of Imperator more appropriate for a successful military leader to take upon himself.
So, an Empire will be pronounced when backed up with sufficient force.

Last edited:
Your encouragement is very helpful and helps keep me going on.

He wants to pronounce a Kingdom, but it has been only about 24 hours since the dream.
He is a little worried to take the title of King with no legitimacy.
A little later, taking example from history, he will find the title of Imperator more appropriate for a successful military leader to take upon himself.
So, an Empire will be pronounced when backed up with sufficient force.

A Romanian 'Empire', sandwiched between much larger empires on all sides? Intriguing. Mihai can proclaim whatever he wants, that's not the problem---making it stick, and survive, that's the issue I want to see him (you) handle.

Zagan

Donor
A Romanian 'Empire', sandwiched between much larger empires on all sides? Intriguing. Mihai can proclaim whatever he wants, that's not the problem---making it stick, and survive, that's the issue I want to see him (you) handle.

Thankfully, the Romanian Principalities were not "sandwiched" yet.
In 1600, we had:
- The Ottoman Empire at the south and south-west
- Poland-Lithuania at the north, not a very expansionist state and certainly not an Empire.
- NO Russia around. It was thousands of kilometers away!
- The Hapsburgs at the north-west; However they did not have a powerful Empire yet (only Austria, Bohemia, Western and Northern Hungary and Croatia = less territory than Mihai had but more population)

Last edited:
Thankfully, the Romanian Principalities were not "sandwiched" yet.
In 1600, we had:
- The Ottoman Empire at the south and south-west
- Poland-Lithuania at the north, not a very expansionist state and certainly not an Empire.
- NO Russia around. It was thousands of kilometers away!
- The Hapsburgs at the north-west; However they did not have a powerful Empire yet (only Austria, Bohemia, Western and Northern Hungary and Croatia = less territory than Mihai had but more population)

I'd like to see a side-by-side of Mihai's domain and the Austrian Habsburg lands c.1600, because now I'm curious to see who had more or less.

EDIT:

Here is a comparison, roughly, of the two factions' lands:

Z4u7TIb.jpg

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Yes, I was mistaken. The Habsbugs have a little more land as well (17% more to be more precise, according to that map).
A good thing is that there is only a small border, half of it mountains.

The Romanians managed to defeat more powerful foes in the past.
Just retreat in the forests / mountains until the danger is over.

Anyway, I have some (realistic?) plans in mind. The Romanians will get some hard beatings.

Last edited:
I.3. Romanian Language Standardization

Zagan

Donor
And now, Request time!
As I already told you, I do requests.

Several readers were interested in TTL Medieval Romanian alphabet, orthography and language and the differencies between it, Latin, OTL Medieval Romanian and OTL Modern Romanian (no TTL Modern Romanian yet).
I was going to post something like this anyway a little later, when a group of scholars summoned by Mihai Viteazul would work to standardize the language.
However, it is probably nicer to have it here, since there will be several more bits and pieces in Romanian.

Emperor Mihai Viteazul took such a great interest in the language reform
and was so adamant to have a standardized language using a Latin alphabet,
that it can be said he is one of the forefathers of the Modern Romanian language.

Romanian Language Standardization

After the dream that changed Mihai for ever, he assigned the greatest priority to nation building and everything that could possibly help it.
It may seem strange, from an objective point of view, that in that fateful morning of 9 August 1601, while preparing for the looming confrontation with Basta, Mihai thought about the language reform.
However, everything becomes clear with only one citation (Emperor Mihai, Romanian Senat, 1603):

If I win victories on the battlefield, these could be later reversed.
If we succeed in forging a Romanian Nation now, it will live for ever.

Valerian, summoned by Mihai to work on a language and alphabet reform, wasted no time. Already having several ideas in mind, he with two other Romanian Orthodox priests from Transylvania (the only educated Romanians in Transylvania were the priests) started their momentuous work as early as 10 August.

By the end of the month, they produced a draft and showed it to Mihai. After thoroughly reading it, Mihai famously wrote on the paper, using the new Romanian alphabet: Sûnt de acord, Mihailŭ Voevod and placed his seal turning it into law.

The Romanian Language Reform Law of 1601 had a small part containing some provisions and recomandations and a much larger part dedicated to the new Romanian (Latin based) alphabet and orthography. Ignoring some excessive wordiness and medieval stereotypes, the Law can be summarized like this:

Article I.
The Romanian Language is a daughter language of ancient Latin, like Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese. It is spoken all over the Romanian Lands of Wallachia, Transylvania and Moldavia as well as in the surrounding realms.
All the people who speak the Romanian language wherever they might live are Romanians, members of the Romanian Nation, the leading force in the Romanian Lands.

Article II.
During the centuries of foreign rule, words of foreign origin have creeped into our beautiful Romance language. The usage of these words will be discouraged and they will be gradually replaced with Latin derived synonims if available. (see list)

Article III.
All laws, regulations, proclamations and other official letters in the Romanian Lands will be from now on written only in the Romanian language using the new Latin based alphabet.
The parallel usage of the old Slavonic alphabet will be tolerated in Wallachia and Moldavia for a transition period of two years.

Article IV.
Sufficient numbers of Bibles using the Romanian Alphabet will be printed and disseminated all over the Romanian Lands as soon as possible. They will include in their preface a short notice explaining the use of the current alphabet and its correspondence with the old alphabet.

Annex I. The Romanian Alphabet

Letter Latin ........ Romanian ..... Translation .. Phonetic ..... Notes

A a .. Album ........ Alb .......... White ........ Art ..........
B b .. Barba ........ Barbă ........ Beard ........ Beard ........
C c .. Casa ......... Casă ......... House ........ Cat ..........
C c .. Circus ....... Circ ......... Circus ....... Chat ......... To pronounce as normal C before E and I, use Qŭe, Qŭi
D d .. Dare ......... Dare ......... Give ......... Door .........
E e .. Extra ........ Extra ........ Extra ........ Extra ........
F f .. Filius ....... Fiu .......... Son .......... Fork .........
G g .. Graecia ...... Grecia ....... Greece ....... Greece .......
G g .. Germania ..... Germania ..... Germany ...... Germany ...... To pronounce as normal G before E and I, use Gŭe, Gŭi
H h .. Horatius ..... Horațiu ...... Horace ....... Horace .......
I i .. Icon ......... Icoană ....... Icon ......... It ...........
J j .. Iustitia ..... Justiție ..... Justice ...... Treasure .....
L l .. Limes ........ Limită ....... Limit ........ Limit ........
M m .. Montem ....... Munte ........ Mountain ..... Mountain .....
N n .. Non .......... Nu ........... No ........... No ...........
O o .. Oculus ....... Oqŭĭ ......... Eye .......... Otter ........
P p .. Paulus ....... Paul ......... Paul ......... Paul .........
Q q .. Quintesentia . Qŭintesență .. Quintessence . Quintessence .
R r .. Regina ....... Regină ....... Queen ........ .............. [alveolar trill]
S s .. Sal .......... Sare ......... Salt ......... Salt .........
T t .. Tempus ....... Timp ......... Time ......... Time .........
U u .. Urbis ........ Urbe ......... City ......... Group ........
V v .. Ventus ....... Vênt ......... Wind ......... Victory ......
X x .. Externus ..... Extern ....... External ..... External .....
X x .. Examen ....... Examen ....... Exam ......... Exam .........
Z z .. Zona ......... Zonă ......... Zone ......... Zone .........

â .. Cantare ...... Cântare ...... Song ......... .............. [close central unrounded vowel]
Ê ê .. Ventus ....... Vênt ......... Wind ......... .............. [close central unrounded vowel]
Î î .. In ........... În ........... In ........... .............. [close central unrounded vowel]
Ô ô .. Fontana ...... Fôntână ...... Fountain ..... .............. [close central unrounded vowel]
Û û .. Aduncus ...... Adûnc ........ Deep ......... .............. [close central unrounded vowel]

Ă ă .. Malus ........ Măr .......... Apple ........ ~ Above ......
Ĕ ĕ .. Tenerus ...... Tênĕr ........ Young ........ ~ Above ......
Ŏ ŏ .. Romanus ...... Rŏmăn (dial.). Romanian ..... ~ Above ......
Ĭ ĭ .. Filii ........ Fiĭ .......... some Sons .... .............. [short/half I]
Ĭ ĭ .. Lupi ......... Lupĭ ......... some Wolves .. .............. [palatalization]
Ŭ ŭ .. Mille ........ Nŭie (dial.).. Thousand ..... El Niño (sp.).
Ŭ ŭ .. Michaelus .... Mihailŭ ...... Michael ...... Gli (ital.)...
Ŭ ŭ .. Maius ........ Maiŭ ......... May .......... .............. [short/half U]

Ț ț .. Terrae ....... Țĕrri ........ Lands ........ Tsar .........
Ș ș .. Ursi ......... Urșĭ ......... Bears ........ Shield .......
Ḑ ḑ .. Domine Deus .. DumneḐeu ..... God .......... Zebra ........
Ḑ ḑ .. Dies ......... Ḑâuă (dial.).. Day .......... Dzungaria ....

K k .. .............. .............. .............. .............. Foreign words only
W w .. .............. .............. .............. .............. Foreign words only
Y y .. .............. .............. .............. .............. Foreign words or in Aromanian Dialect
Y y .. Vinum ........ Yin (dial.)... Wine ......... .............. [greek gamma]
Ä ä .. .............. .............. .............. .............. Foreign words only
Ö ö .. .............. .............. .............. .............. Foreign words only
Ü ü .. .............. .............. .............. .............. Foreign words only

Plus other accented letters used in other languages

Annex II. List of Foreign Words and Their Preffered Latin Derived Synonims
Neam (hun.) = Popor, Nație (Nation)
Iubire, Dragoste (slav.) = Amor (Love)
Nădiejde (slav.) = Speranță (Hope)
Prieten (?) = Amic (Friend)
Mătușă (slav.) = Tetă (from Aromanian dialect) (Aunt)
Pavel (slav. name) = Paul (Paul, name)
Graniță (slav.) = Frontieră, Limită, Hotar (Border)
Peșqŭeș (turk.) = Tribut (Tribute)
Oraș (hun.) = Urbe (City)
[... (763 entries!)]

Interesting quote from Emperor Mihai, circa 1602:

It is better to have the language reform now when there are still very few people who can read and write. Let them learn the Latin letters from the very beginning, since it would be more difficult for them to learn the Slavonic letters first and make the switch afterwards.

Note: This will be (with some very small changes) the orthography of the Romanian language until the 1833 reform (simplification).

Last edited: