"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

Zagan

Donor
I managed to do the linguistics post. It was very difficult for me to write it.

Some comments:
1. TTL Medieval Romanian has a thorough etymological spelling with the purpose of enhancing its latinity. This has been pursued OTL as well, albeit a little less.
2. It will be easy enough to read but much harder to write correctly. This might have been thought as good thing. Most people were supposed to learn how to read. A commoner ought to be told apart from a scholar by the way he wrote.
3. Aromanian and other Romance dialects in the Balkan Peninsula were already known at that time and were considered to be Romanian dialects as they are today in Romania (they are considered independent eastern Romance languages by foreign linguists). Thus, the Romanian alphabet was designed from the very beginning with the possibility to accomodate the pecularities of the dialects (different sounds etc).
4. As in OTL, the etymological spelling will prove to hinder literacy and will be partially and gradually dropped later.
5. TTL Medieval Romanian spelling is somehow similar to some 19th century OTL Romanian spelling proposals. This does not mean butterflies are chased away, but different variants of etymological spellings have to be at least convergent.
6. TTL Modern Romanian spelling will perhaps resemble OTL Modern Romanian as well for reasons of familiarity and maximum usefulness.
7. A sound can be written with different letters. On the other hand, any letter corresponds to a single sound. (with some exceptions: C, G, X; etymological reasons again)
8. The language reform will be resisted at first by some Greek leaning priests from Wallachia and Moldavia but will eventually catch, especially after the greater reform in the Church itself would be imposed as well. (see further updates later)

Questions?

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I wonder about the naming conventions among Romanians (e.g. surnames) during Michael the Brave's time?

With hindsight, Mihai would have had a surname: Pătrașcu.
However, back then Romanians did not actually use them.
Most lower class Romanians did not even have a surname and they would probably not even grasp the concept.
Some used patronyms instead. It was a mess.

The FirstName (ChristianName) - SurName (FamilyName) pattern did not became widespread until the second half of the 19th century.

Last edited:
However, back then Romanians did not actually use them.
Most lower class Romanians did not even have a surname and they would probably not even grasp the concept.
Some used patronyms instead. It was a mess.

The FirstName (ChristianName) - SurName (FamilyName) pattern did not became widespread until the second half of the 19th century.
Is there a tendency where someone was called by his/her occupation or village or bot? (e.g. Mihail the Blacksmith from Comaneci)

Zagan

Donor
Is there a tendency where someone was called by his/her occupation or village or bot? (e.g. Mihail the Blacksmith from Comaneci)

Yes, this was used as well, especially in Transylvania (occupation) and Wallachia (village / town). Mostly patronyms in Moldavia though (more slavic influence there).

Last edited:
I.4. Dealing with Treason

Zagan

Donor
He [Emperor Mihai] had a rather uncanny gift.
No matter how small the victory he would exploit it to the maximum.
No matter how drastic the defeat he would always make a come back.

Dealing with Treason

9 August 1601, dawn
Mihai's Camp, Câmpia Turzii (Fields near Turda), Transylvania

Mihai was a highly intelligent and cultivated man. His usually sharp and quick mind was now working at an amazing speed, a myriad of thoughts fighting for his attention.

How was it possible to draw my sword and pierce the heart of the traitor while still asleep? God Himself or at least my Guarding Angel must have moved my hand.
The dream I had was so vivid, so precise, so prophetic in nature... It must have been sent by God. Some say that dreams are a reflection of our own thoughts. But how could that be? The idea that the power comes from the people! I could have never thought anything like that. Ever! But now? If it is God's will...
And what am I now? Am I a Prophet of God? Isn't this a blasphemy? What would the Church think? Should I tell them? How?
The dream again... It was so clear, like a grand plan for the future. Oh God! Not only did You tell me what to do, You told me how to do it as well! I must write all these down as soon as possible.
Basta. What should I do with this traitor? Judge him for treason? His army will not allow that. Fight them? Kill him first? Maybe they will not fight without their general. What will Rudolf do?
I need to talk with someone. Where is Valerian when I need him?

Officer: "Măria Ta[1], we could not find the assassins. They disappeared into the fog. By daylight they will be far away."
Mihai: "Never mind, I know who they are. They are Basta's men. Wake everybody up. We have to prepare for battle."
O: "Yes, Măria Ta."
M: "Don't leave. I have further orders. Send a skilled man to Basta's camp. He should tell Basta that Bathory's men attempted to kill me. And that we should prepare for reprisals against the Hungarian nobles who supported Bathory. And that I and Basta should get together as soon as possible to discuss the matter and show solidarity against the enemy. Did you understand?"
O: "Yes, Măria Ta. Anything else?"
M: "Yes. Send someone to Valerian's tent. Wake him up and summon him here. And ask him to bring along any other priests or scholars that he might know and happen to be in the vicinity. Oh, and bring me paper and quill now. And my grand seal."

Minutes later, Mihai started to write The List.
Half an hour later, a dumbfounded Valerian listened in silence to his now extremely locvacious Voivode.
At about the same time, Mihai's envoy arrived at Basta's camp and was stopped by his guards, while Basta was talking to the assassins who reported back to him their failure to kill Mihai.

Basta's Camp, Câmpia Turzii

Assassin #1: "It's true, General. That man is surely possesed by the devil. He looked asleep, with his eyes certainly closed. But he was making faces, gesturing with his hands and talking in his sleep."
Basta: "What was he saying?"
A1: "I am sorry, General. I do not understand his language."
B: "I see, go on."
A1: "And when Mario approached him, he drew his sword and killed him instantly. He hit him right in the heart, with his eyes closed, apparently still sleeping. It's the devil, General, I am telling you..."
B: "Leave the devil out of this, will you. Why did you run away?"
A2: "If he killed Mario while asleep what chance could we have had with him fully awake?"
Basta's Guard: "General, an envoy from Mihai Voivode is here."
B: "Allow him to come in... And be prepared to kill him if he tries anything."
Guard: "Yes, Sir."
Mihai's Envoy: "Good morning, General! Sorry to disturb you so early in the morning. I am glad that you were already awake."
B: "It must be something important..."
Envoy: "Yes, General. Bathory's loyalists sent assassins to kill our Voivode. Luckily he managed to kill one of them and scare off the others."
B: "Is it so? Those traitorous bastards!"
E: "Mihailu Voivode wants to retaliate harshly against this nest of vipers which is the Hungarian nobility. They betrayed us four times. Could we trust them any more?"
B: "I think that is correct. What should we do? Kill them all?"
Basta laughed. The other men laughed as well. Mihai's envoy ignored their laughter.
E: "I am not supposed to give any advice. I am here to tell you that Mihailu Voivode wants to talk with you in order to devise a common plan of action. And he would like to prepare the army to march on Alba now. And, in order to show solidarity, you should inspect both armies together."
B: "This sounds like a good plan. Tell your leader that we shall meet in the field for a small drill with both our armies. The men will see us together as you desire. Anything else?"
E: "Is today at noon too soon for your men to get ready?"
B: "No, of course not. My men are instructed to be ready any time. After all, the enemy never asks if we are ready. We shall meet at noon in the middle of the field, near the old fountain. You are excused now."
The envoy saluted and left the tent.
B: "Is he gone?"
G: "Yes, General."
B: "This Mihai seems no devil to me. After all, the devil is supposed to be intelligent..."
All of them laughed with relief.

Mihai's Camp, Câmpia Turzii

Mihai: "So, say something. You have not uttered a single word. Are you going to excommunicate me or what?"
Valerian: "Oh, no, Măria Ta. I think you are right. Your dream must have been sent by God. If you empower the Orthodox Church, which is now only tolerated in Transylvania, I am certain that the Synod will aprove it as well and declare it a miracle."
M: "I shall do that as soon as I get to Alba. And I shall free the Romanian peasants as well. We can thrive only if we get an alliance between the People, the Church and the Voivode. And I shall..."
The Envoy: "Allow me, Măria Ta. I think we fooled them. Basta will come with his army for a common drill with our army at the Old Fountain Place at noon."
M: "Very good. Let's get going. We do not want to be late, do we?"
V: "I do not question your military prowess, my Voivode, but I am a little unnerved because of the use of deception..."
M: (laughing) "Oh, Valerian, deception you say. War and politics are based on deception. Didn't you read Il Principe? Of course I could attack Basta head on, but I have to think of my soldiers' lives. I will not waste them if not absolutely necessary. We shall need those soldiers alive later."

After some more orders were issued, Mihai's army headed towards the Old Fountain Place to meet Basta and his men for what they thought to be a short common drill.

9 August 1601, noon
The Old Fountain Place, Câmpia Turzii

Mihai and Basta ceremoniously greeted each other and climbed on the makeshift wooden stand overseeing the field.
Basta: "You shall have the honour. It was your idea and, besides, only you know both yours and our language."
Mihai: "Thank you. We shall proceed then."

Mihai started to issue orders and the two armies quickly merged into one. After a few minutes of uneventful parade, Mihai stopped them and signalled he was about to deliver a speech, gesticulating heavily with his sword raised up in his left hand as if reaching the sky.
M: "As you may have already heard, this morning three assassins tried to kill me in my sleep. I know who sent them..."

And with a single powerfull stroke of his sword, Mihai decapitated Basta.
M: "This man, a traitor, got the punishment deserved by all traitors: death. Now you are all my soldiers and we shall go on to liberate the rest of Transylvania. You will receive your payment as usual. Nothing has changed, except your leader. Those who do not want to fight under my command are free to leave and return to their lands."

In the ranks of Basta's mercenaries, confusion reigned supreme.
They were separated into small groups among a larger organized army and their leader was dead, branded as a traitor and murderer.
A few anaemically cheered Mihai, others surrended their weapons, some tried to retreat towards their camp while the majority was simply confused and did not know what to do.

At first it seemed that bloodshed could be averted, but after some shots were heard, a short, chaotic battle ensued.
In about an hour, the battle was over. Being in an abbysmal strategic position and with no access to their cannons, Basta's army was completely shattered.
Less than a tenth of the soldiers escaped northwards, leaving thousands of prisoners and a few hundred dead behind. Around a hundred of Mihai's men were dead as well.

After some quick thinking, Mihai decided not to pursue them, but head towards Alba Iulia at once.
An envoy was sent to anounce his arrival. The locals were instructed to give no resistance and to assemble the Diet for the restoration of Mihai on the Transylvanian Throne.
Mihai made no additional proclamation for the time being, but chose to wait to enter to the Capital first.

Notes:
[1] Măria Ta is a formula used for addressing to Romanian Voivodes and Domnitors. It is not Your Majesty (Maiestatea Voastră), nor Your Highness (Înălțimea Voastră), nor Your Excellency (Excelența Voastră), nor Your Grace (Eminența Voastră), but rather something like Your Greatness, using the singular form of You (see the T-V Distinction in Romance languages). It is thus, quite cumbersome to translate and I decided to leave it unchanged.

Last edited:
Nice turnaround!

Still, if you allow me an advice, try to not make Mihai to behave to far ahead of his time...
Dream or not... he can not start suddenly to think like a 19 century guy...

Zagan

Donor
Nice turnaround!

Still, if you allow me an advice, try to not make Mihai to behave to far ahead of his time...
Dream or not... he can not start suddenly to think like a 19 century guy...

Thank you.
I am trying hard to get a balance between:
1. Drastic things have to be done in order to actually achieve something. After all, IOTL nothing was changed in the long term.
2. Still keep it at the edges of the realm of the possible. It is some kind of an Wank after all, so it should not employ the most probable course of events.

Last edited:
I'm having a lot of fun reading this. As a non-native English speaker, your writing is very good and flows very well; very entertaining.

Mihai very well could have been OTL a man ahead of his time. Stranger things have happened than the Danubian principalities uniting under a single crown. Need justification? The Ottomans are pressing from the south and the Austrian Habsburgs can barely keep things together behind their 'Hungarian wall'---what better way to confront the threats du jour than to band together and fight as one? Nationalism, as we know it, should not manifest this early, but a common cause can definitely drive people together---it's keeping them together after the fact that is the challenge, and one I'm looking forward to reading!

Zagan

Donor
I'm having a lot of fun reading this. As a non-native English speaker, your writing is very good and flows very well; very entertaining.

Mihai very well could have been OTL a man ahead of his time. Stranger things have happened than the Danubian principalities uniting under a single crown. Need justification? The Ottomans are pressing from the south and the Austrian Habsburgs can barely keep things together behind their 'Hungarian wall'---what better way to confront the threats du jour than to band together and fight as one? Nationalism, as we know it, should not manifest this early, but a common cause can definitely drive people together---it's keeping them together after the fact that is the challenge, and one I'm looking forward to reading!

Mihai will be "ahead of his time", albeit not completely unreasonable.

The 3 Romanian Principalities / Lands will not be merely united under a single crown (personal union) but rather quickly completely fused in a single country, militarily, administratively and politically.
This is one of the main points of TTL. To press on where OTL Mihai stopped.

Keeping them together after the Ottoman menace is no more? It will be (by then) just like France or Spain, a large, independent, unified, centralized state.
Anyway, that is what I intend to achieve. And afterwards, with Romanians already powerful... comes the real WANK!!!

I do not like dull AH. I want it glorious, heroic, great, magnificent, hyperbolic. Something like this. I do not know how to express it exactly. Just hang on and you will get it.

Last edited:

Gian

Banned
BTW, (just one offtopic, but related question): Are you going to translate some phrases (like Article I of the UDHR) into TTL's Romanian at some point?

Zagan

Donor
BTW, (just one offtopic, but related question): Are you going to translate some phrases (like Article I of the UDHR) into TTL's Romanian at some point?

It is actually quite similar to OTL Romanian.

Anyway I will do that. And right now. (well, it might take a little time, but I will start right now) But not UDHR, rather the Lord's Prayer. It is more appropriate for the time period. We might not even have the words in the language yet for the UDHR!

... 5 minutes, ok?

The Lord's Prayer

1. In OTL Romanian

Tatăl nostru Care ești în ceruri,
Sfințească-se numele Tău,
Vie împărăția Ta,
Fie voia Ta,
Precum în cer așa și pe Pământ.

Pâinea noastră cea de toate zilele,
Dă-ne-o nouă astăzi
Și ne iartă nouă greșalele noastre
Precum și noi iertăm greșiților noștri
Și nu ne duce pe noi în ispită
Ci ne izbăvește de cel rău.

Că a Ta este împărăția și puterea și mărirea,
Acum și pururea și în vecii vecilor.
Amin.

2. In TTL Old Romanian
As published in the First Edition of the Carte pentru învĕțătură Chreștinescă (Book for Christian Learning), published in TTL 1602.

Tatĕl nostru Carele eștĭ în Cerurĭ,
Sfințescă-se numele Tĕu,
Vie Împĕrăția Ta,
Facă-se voea Ta,
Precum în Cer așe și pre Pămênt.

Pânea noastră cea de toate ḑilele,
Dă-ne-o nouă astă-ḑĭ
Și ne iartă nouă greșalele noastre
Precum și noi iertăm greșiților noștri
Și nu ne duce pre noi în ispită
Ci ne isbăvește de cel rĕu.

Că a Ta este Împĕrăția și puterea și mărirea,
Acum și pururea și în vecii vecilor.
Amin.

... done.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Caution: The Board Upgrade may have changed the fonts!

Ignore this post, please.
I just want to have all my TTL Romanian letters with diacritics in one place to copy paste them easily when needed.

Normal: Â â Ê ê Î î Ô ô Û û Ă ă Ĕ ĕ Ĭ ĭ Ŏ ŏ Ŭ ŭ Ḑ ḑ Ș ș Ț ț

Italic: Â â Ê ê Î î Ô ô Û û Ă ă Ĕ ĕ Ĭ ĭ Ŏ ŏ Ŭ ŭ Ḑ ḑ Ș ș Ț ț

Bold: Â â Ê ê Î î Ô ô Û û Ă ă Ĕ ĕ Ĭ ĭ Ŏ ŏ Ŭ ŭ Ḑ ḑ Ș ș Ț ț

Title: Â â Ê ê Î î Ô ô Û û Ă ă Ĕ ĕ Ĭ ĭ Ŏ ŏ Ŭ ŭ Ḑ ḑ Ș ș Ț ț

Small: Â â Ê ê Î î Ô ô Û û Ă ă Ĕ ĕ Ĭ ĭ Ŏ ŏ Ŭ ŭ Ḑ ḑ Ș ș Ț ț

Motto: Â â Ê ê Î î Ô ô Û û Ă ă Ĕ ĕ Ĭ ĭ Ŏ ŏ Ŭ ŭ Ḑ ḑ Ș ș Ț ț

Quote: Â â Ê ê Î î Ô ô Û û Ă ă Ĕ ĕ Ĭ ĭ Ŏ ŏ Ŭ ŭ Ḑ ḑ Ș ș Ț ț

Emphasis: Â â Ê ê Î î Ô ô Û û Ă ă Ĕ ĕ Ĭ ĭ Ŏ ŏ Ŭ ŭ Ḑ ḑ Ș ș Ț ț

Last edited:
I.5. Alba Iulia

Zagan

Donor
He was not called "Viteazul" (the Brave) for nothing.
He was certainly the most courageous ruler the Romanians ever had.

Alba Iulia

9 August 1601, afternoon
Transylvanian countryside

Mihai and his army were marching towards Alba Iulia. If everything went smoothly, they would get there the day after tommorow.
The cannons, handguns, cold weapons, horses, wagons, ammunition and supplies taken from Basta's army were a very welcomed addition to his own army. The money found in Basta's camp was important as well.

The prisoners were treated reasonably well, especially after the two would be assassins of the Voivode were betrayed by their comrades. These two were not treated well... After they confessed, they hastily implicated Basta as well as Emperor Rudolf in the plot. Being satisfied with the public confession, Mihai ended their suffering by having them hanged.

The rest of the prisoners were quickly sorted in two categories. Most of them agreed to join Mihai's army and were integrated into the marching columns. The others, mostly Germans, were freed with no money, weapons or horses. They headed towards the nearest Transylvanian Saxon See (Mediasch). They hoped to find help or employment there in order to be able to get to their homes some time in the future.

9-11 August 1601, Turda - Alba Iulia Road

Mihai would ordinarily ride, but this time he took the carriage instead together with Valerian and two other scholars, because time is everything now, as he said.
And indeed, instead of having a well deserved rest during the long march towards Alba Iulia, Mihai together with his now officially named counsellors worked tirelessly and had very little sleep.
They wrote proclamations, pieces of legislation, diplomatic letters and various orders. They made plans for the future and discussed the current situation.

Mihai did not make any further announcements to his troops, waiting to get to Alba Iulia first in order to deliver the proclamations and enact legislation.
He did however send embassies with diplomatic letters to Poland-Lithuania, the Habsburg Emperor, the Pope and the Ottoman Empire.
Mihai also sent envoys with orders or various proposals respectively to his boyars and army in Wallachia, to the Moldavian boyars, to the Saxons and Szeklers and to the top Orthodox hierarchy in all three Romanian Lands.
Without waiting for an answer from the Metropolitan Bishops, Mihai sent dozens of other envoys to travel from church to church and persuade the local priests to support his cause. He basically wanted the priests to use their sermons to quickly convey his ideas, his will and laws to the Romanian people.

In the morning of 11 August, Mihai managed to get a few hours of sleep, before arriving at the gates of Alba Iulia in early afternoon.
The Transylvanian Diet had been summoned for the following morning.
Mihai spent the rest of the afternoon and evening preparing for the looming confrontation with the Diet, crucial to the success of his endeavours.
An end to Unio Trium Nationum, the emancipation of the Romanians and the political Union with Wallachia and Moldavia (amounting to the actual dissolution of Transylvania itself) would probably not be accepted, not even under duress.

12 August 1601, Alba Iulia, Capital City of Transylvania

After a difficult night, Mihai entered Alba Iulia in triumph for a second time, dressed in full voivodal regalia, riding his white horse and with a mace in his left hand.
Cheered by the crowds, Mihai let the members of the Diet wait for almost one hour before he finally entered the Diet building. He was accompanied by a few trusted boyars, his counsellors and members of his personal guard made of hand-picked elite soldiers.
The members of the Transylvanian Diet rose and greeted him:
"Long live Michael, Prince of Transylvania!"

Mihai sat on the improvised throne and gestured the members of the Diet to sit down. His boyars and counsellors got seated as well. The guard took positions around him, at the doors and in other key locations, carefully established in advance.
Mihai looked at his now powerless enemies in silence for a couple of minutes. Then he started to speak in a rather soft voice, leaving everyone speechless and in awe, unable to believe or even fully comprehend what they were listening to. When interrupted, the guard made sure to silence the audience and let the Voivode finish his speech.

Members of the Transylvanian Diet, while I thank you for your second offer of the Transylvanian Crown, I am afraid I have to decline it. And I have three good reasons to do so:

First, I really can not trust you anymore. You betrayed your Prince Andreas Bathory when you offered me the Crown back in 1599. The following year, you betrayed me and now you betray Sigismund Bathory. As you can see, I can not look at you and see anything else but a pityful bunch of traitors and cowards. I am absolutely sure that should anyone, and I insist absolutely anyone, ever defeat me again in battle, you would immediately betray me again with no remorse whatsoever, remorse being a feeling as remote to you as most other human feelings.

Second, you are completely illegitimate! This so called Diet, which hereby I disolve now and forever, does not truly represent Transylvania since the most numerous people in this country, the Romanians, are not represented in it. I can not accept the Crown of a Romanian Land from the representatives of the Hungarians, Saxons and Szeklers, can I?
A Romanian Land where you and your people malignantly have been oppressing my people for countless generations. And you can be sure that this age old oppression has come to an end, because I free all the Romanians and gift Transylvania, their land, back to them, its ancient, rightful owners.
The old system which you represent is dead and will never be resurected again. A new golden age in the history of the Romanians starts today. And so be it!

And third, I really do not want the Crown of Transylvania, beacuse I surely do not want to be Prince of Transylvania. Do not be surprised. I do not want to be Prince of Transylvania, because I have already decided to disolve this Principality altogether. Yes, you heard me right. From now on, the Principalities of Transylvania, Wallachia and Moldavia are forever completely abolished, never to be recreated again.
Their former territories are forever united into a new state, the Romanian Lands, including the provinces of Transylvania, Wallachia and Moldavia as well as other Lands which may be inhabited by Romanians elsewhere.

So, instead of the now inexistent crowns of Transylvania, Wallachia and Moldavia which I renounce, I crown myself, by the Grace of God and the Will of My People, Io Mihailŭ Great Voivode and Lord of the United Romanian Lands, with one Crown not three, the Iron Crown of the Romanian Lands.

And Mihai took a crown forged in iron from a bag and gently placed it on his head.

By the Grace of God and Will of My People, the Romanians.
Voivode and Lord of all Romanians wherever they might live and of all their Lands.
Not Prince of your former Principality.

So, let me state it clearly once again:
This Diet was illegitimate because the Romanians were not represented in it.
I disolve this Diet forever, beginning now.
The countries of Transylvania, Wallachia and Moldavia are forever abolished, beginning now.
Their territory is completely merged into a new state, the United Romanian Lands, beginning now.
I am the Great Voivode and Lord of the Romanian Lands, not of Transylvania, Wallachia and Moldavia, which no longer exist.
The power belongs to the Romanian People and is exercised by its representatives: the Romanian Voivode and Lord, the Romanian Boyars, the Romanian Church and the Romanian Army.
The Senat of the Romanian Lands will be convened here in Alba Iulia, the Capital City of the Romanian Lands as soon as possible.
Until then, I assume complete power as Dictator.

I will let my counsellors read the rest of the laws later. All of these laws and proclamations will be published and disseminated all over our Lands to everybody's knowledge.

And now I will exercise another right I have as Voivode. The right to judge you.
I will be short. I accuse you, former members of the former Diet of the former Principality of Transylvania, now the Romanian Province of Transylvania of:
I. Treason and
II. Countless crimes against the Romanian Nation in Transylvania.
Do you have anything to say on your behalf?
I do not hear you. I understand, you can not deny the truth since it is obvious for you too. Therefore, I find you guilty as charged.

Now, I have to sentence you. As much as I would want to spare you, I am afraid that it is politically impossible for me to do so. You are simply too dangerous for my fledgeling country and utterly unreliable as your past has proven.
For the sake of my people and my country, I sentence all of you to death. The sentence will be carried at once. You are allowed to choose the way you wish to die. If you do not choose anything, you will be hanged. All executions will be public in the center of the city and shall be over by dusk.

So be it. Session is adjourned sine die.

Last edited:
Wow. Just like that, huh?

So, was anyone else there that isn't being killed, who wrote that speech down to spread the news? Obviously we have record of it, but who wrote it down? Did he leave -any- of the Transylvanian lords/whomever alive to tell the tale of his usurpation (and yes I'm calling it that; what Michael's doing is very, very illegal by imperial and, very likely, Romanian law and standards---although the latter's about to change).

I'm also curious what he had to say in his letter to Rudolf---"You tried to have me killed, prepare to die"? Something similar?

Very entertaining, very cool. More!

Zagan

Donor
Wow. Just like that, huh?

So, was anyone else there that isn't being killed, who wrote that speech down to spread the news? Obviously we have record of it, but who wrote it down? Did he leave -any- of the Transylvanian lords/whomever alive to tell the tale of his usurpation (and yes I'm calling it that; what Michael's doing is very, very illegal by imperial and, very likely, Romanian law and standards---although the latter's about to change).

I'm also curious what he had to say in his letter to Rudolf---"You tried to have me killed, prepare to die"? Something similar?

Very entertaining, very cool. More!

Yes, SHTF!

Only the members of the Diet were sentenced to death.
Besides them, there were present:
- Mihai Voivode;
- A few terrified Wallachian boyars;
- Valerian and the other 2 unnamed counsellors;
- Mihai's Guard;
- Servants etc;
- Scribes which wrote everything down.

This will be remembered in Europe as worse than an illegal act. Actually a revolution.

Mihai has decided to never again follow the laws of the foreigners in his Lands.

You had actually guessed the main part of the letter to Rudolf. It will be really grousome. Congratulations for your remarcable insight!

EDIT: The Voivode killing the boyars from time to time in Wallachia and Moldavia was, if not entirely lawful, at least rather customary...

Last edited:
I.6. The Romanian Lands

Zagan

Donor
Was Emperor Mihai always as sure of victory as he seemed to be?
Or, despite the façade, did he have his doubts? We may never know.

The Romanian Lands

On the Wings of History, Nov. 2001, by Prof. Dr. Ioan Reiter (excerpts)

Emperor Mihai is undoubtely one of the most important and controversial figures in Medieval European History.
With his words and deeds so bizzare by his time's standards, it is no wonder he was widely considered by his foes to be either possesed by demons or at least an extremely dangerous madman.
At the same time, the Romanians saw him as their saviour, somewhere between a mere mortal and an actual demigod. It is interesting to note that decades later, at the time of the announcement of his death, almost no one believed it and riots broke out throughout the country. In fact, probably more than 90% of his subjects were actually born under his rule!
His popularity was so enormous and genuine that if modern democratic elections were to be held he would have probably scored around 99%.

I think that at least a word must be said about the crimes of Emperor Mihai, especially the cold-blooded execution of the entire Transylvanian Diet. While most Romanians do not talk about them or try to justify or white-wash them, this does not change the overall foreigner's impression of him as a murderer.
What we should stress here is that while his crimes are extremely publicized in the West, this kind of behaviour was (unlike other of his actions) extremely common in that period.
In a time when the rule of law and human rights were unheard of, large scale violence, abuse of justice and the rule of force were extremely common. It is true that usually it was the common people and not the nobles who stood at the recieving end of said violence but again if we were to judge Mihai by today's standards then the rights of nobles should have been no different from the rights of the common people.
I think that at least now, after four centuries, we should start to look at history with a historical perspective.

Truly strange myths about him still abound in the collective Romanian psyche today: That he was a messenger of God or at least continuously helped by God and instructed in all his actions was a common meme in the past.
Today, more modern sci-fi myths are in vogue: That he was helped by time-travellers from the future or that he was a time-traveller himself who actually visited a future very different from our own and coming back to his times he decided to change the fortunes of his people and history itself. Some less common themes are that he was an alien or that some other entity had taken over his body.
All these weird claims are based on the fact that his actions were really ahead of his time and to say that his foresight was remarcable would be an understatement.

Very popular are also counterfactual history novels, ranging from Mihai taking over the whole World to grim dystopias where Basta's killers were successful and the ill fortunes of the Romanians continued unabated for centuries to come.

12 August 1601, afternoon
Alba Iulia, Romanian Lands

Hundreds or maybe even thousands of people flocked to the city center to watch the executions, many of them booing their former masters and cheering the executioners.
They were also cheering the absent voivode and were expecting him to join the macabre show. However Mihai did not come to the square that day. Did the executions that he ordered earlier still felt somehow repugnant to him? Or was he merely extremely busy with administrative and legislative work? We may never know but only speculate.

Around 20 pieces of legislation and several proclamations were published as well as read aloud that afternoon to the extatic crowds congregated in the center of the Nation's Capital in what would be later called the Union Square (Piața Unirii).

Shortly before dusk, a large freshly sawn beautiful Romanian quadricolor, the first to ever be flown in the Romanian Lands, was raised on top of the former Diet building, now the residence of the voivode.

Romanian Flag Waving.png

And Mihai's subjects shouted in unison, exalted with pride and love for their liberator and their new country: "Trăiască Mihailŭ Vodă! Trăiască Țĕrrile Române!" (Long Live Voivode Michael! Long live the Romanian Lands!)
These were the words that, repeated again and again all over the Romanian Lands, filled with joy and hope the hearts of the Romanians and with fear and desperation those of their enemies.

Despite some controversies, 12 August has remained the National Day of the Romanians ever since.

Last edited: