This basically a story where a german general is as good as Hannibal Barca (ie, he can beat back armies twice his size while only breaking a sweat). The war till stalingard is mostly the same except France falls a weak quicker because our OC general having dealt French a terrible defeat in Early phony war invasion and his mad push to paris. Let's assume his name is Erich Hoepner. Erich Hoepner is 35 years old, and is made commander of the 4th Panzer group fighting at stalingard. This guy very very patrotic and very very pragmatic, so he offers to protect Soviet citizen in exchange for information and guides. The story will start at the battle of Stalingard in October 21, 1942. I previously made a mistake of writing 1942 instead of 1941, I apologise for that.

Battle of Stalingrad​

The soviets were breaking order, the city was finally ours. I had never imagined the sewers to be the source of our victory, it had only been chancellor's own blessing that allowed the plan. Madness it would have been had it not worked, but The diversionary attack from our tanks hitting their flanks to the south while the lack of supply meant that a thousand soldiers sneaked by the sewers into the main Soviets lines. We had prepared the rest of our reserve to take back of position in the enemy's rear, the entire reverse commited in one area of trench and bullworks.

The only slaughter that happened on both sides, we lost 12,000 men taking the position and a further 8000 mopping up the remains. Fighting so fierce that we lost one of our general in combat. No victory would be in hand without securing our flank against the encirclement, 20,000 troops were the cost of the battle. Finally the soviet line near the river were thrown into choas, a signal was given to launch a advance against the enemy force and meet up with contingent of infiltrators fighting their way through the sewers. Fifty thousand took over the entire region of this City of blood, the fighting was still harder with 4000 men lost in the main force and 300 in the infiltrators.

We were winning and by the roughest of estimates our enemy had lost over three hundred thousand men in the slaughters of today. Luftwaffe had taken to all night bombing campaign to weaken enemy trenches and keep them occupied and weak for the largest single offensive in the war. This was no time for sleep, a fiery speech by General Erich had emboldened our soldiers. I would restrict myself from making said speech knowing my oratory skills were not as good.

Next day, 500 tanks rolled and crushed the final bastion of soviet resistance their planned counter encirlement. Another 23000 men were lost, a regretable number but appalled against the expected soviet causalities of nearly 180,000 soldiers. The Soviet Army had effectively ceased to exist in Stalingard. Battle lasted well into the night and I knew that finally mopping would take weeks more.

Last edited:
This basically a story where a german general is as good as Hannibal Barca (ie, he can beat back armies twice his size while only breaking a sweat). The war till stalingard is mostly the same except France falls a weak quicker because our OC general having dealt French a terrible defeat in Early phony war invasion and his mad push to paris. Let's assume his name is Erich Hoepner. Erich Hoepner is 35 years old, and is made commander of the 4th Panzer group fighting at stalingard. This guy very very patrotic and very very pragmatic, so he offers to protect Soviet citizen in exchange for information and guides. The story will start at the battle of Stalingard in October 21, 1941.

Battle of Stalingrad​

The soviets were breaking order, the city was finally ours. I had never imagined the sewers to be the source of our victory, it had only been chancellor's own blessing that allowed the plan. Madness it would have been had it not worked, but The diversionary attack from our tanks hitting their flanks to the south while the lack of supply meant that a thousand soldiers sneaked by the sewers into the main Soviets lines. We had prepared the rest of our reserve to take back of position in the enemy's rear, the entire reverse commited in one area of trench and bullworks.

The only slaughter that happened on both sides, we lost 12,000 men taking the position and a further 8000 mopping up the remains. Fighting so fierce that we lost one of our general in combat. No victory would be in hand without securing our flank against the encirclement, 20,000 troops were the cost of the battle. Finally the soviet line near the river were thrown into choas, a signal was given to launch a advance against the enemy force and meet up with contingent of infiltrators fighting their way through the sewers. Fifty thousand took over the entire region of this City of blood, the fighting was still harder with 4000 men lost in the main force and 300 in the infiltrators.

We were winning and by the roughest of estimates our enemy had lost over three hundred thousand men in the slaughters of today. Luftwaffe had taken to all night bombing campaign to weaken enemy trenches and keep them occupied and weak for the largest single offensive in the war. This was no time for sleep, a fiery speech by General Erich had emboldened our soldiers. I would restrict myself from making said speech knowing my oratory skills were not as good.

Next day, 500 tanks rolled and crushed the final bastion of soviet resistance their planned counter encirlement. Another 23000 men were lost, a regretable number but appalled against the expected soviet causalities of nearly 180,000 soldiers. The Soviet Army had effectively ceased to exist in Stalingard. Battle lasted well into the night and I knew that finally mopping would take weeks more.
WW2 and the Second Punic War are completely different: in the Second Punic War massive battles were the way to win the war, in WW2 big battles weren't the main factor, the most important things are population, industrial capability... i.e. the strategic elements so the tactical elements aren't as important as in Hannibal's time, the best example I can give is the American Civil War: the Confederacy had many tactical victories but as long as the Union desired to fight the war they would win as the Confederacy's industrial capability, economy, population... couldn't compete with the North.

This basically a story where a german general is as good as Hannibal Barca (ie, he can beat back armies twice his size while only breaking a sweat). The war till stalingard is mostly the same except France falls a weak quicker because our OC general having dealt French a terrible defeat in Early phony war invasion and his mad push to paris. Let's assume his name is Erich Hoepner. Erich Hoepner is 35 years old, and is made commander of the 4th Panzer group fighting at stalingard. This guy very very patrotic and very very pragmatic, so he offers to protect Soviet citizen in exchange for information and guides. The story will start at the battle of Stalingard in October 21, 1941.

Battle of Stalingrad​

Also 180k more casualties on the Soviet side won't destroy the Soviets, it would just prolong WW2 a little bit longer but wouldn't mean a German victory

WW2 and the Second Punic War are completely different: in the Second Punic War massive battles were the way to win the war, in WW2 big battles weren't the main factor, the most important things are population, industrial capability... i.e. the strategic elements so the tactical elements aren't as important as in Hannibal's time, the best example I can give is the American Civil War: the Confederacy had many tactical victories but as long as the Union desired to fight the war they would win as the Confederacy's industrial capability, economy, population... couldn't compete with the North.

German situation was never actually truly hopeless like Hannibal, German were capable of winning the war. And it is not a German victory scenario, it is WW2 prolonging scenario. I am looking at what would happen if (ohh I ain’t gonna give any spoilers)

German situation was never actually truly hopeless like Hannibal, German were capable of winning the war. And it is not a German victory scenario, it is WW2 prolonging scenario. I am looking at what would happen if (ohh I ain’t gonna give any spoilers)
This Hannibal 2.0 would be like Rommel: he can, thanks to his genius, win battles and prolong the war but once the Reich cannot supply him enough he can't save a hopeless situation.
Hannibal's situation wasn't hopeless had he received reinforcements after Cannae he probably could've won the war but due to a number of reasons he lost.
Well the war might last longer but 1942/3 it was clear (with power of hindsight) that Germany would lose the war, once the Germans' initial advance was stopped the war cannot be (realistically) won. I actually consider that Barbarossa was doomed from the start, no matter what improvements you can find for them (Japanese joining the war and such) unless you change something before the war.
Also could you please tell me what you are searching for with this TL?

Last edited:
This Hannibal 2.0 would be like Rommel: he can, thanks to his genius, win battles and prolong the war but once the Reich cannot supply him enough he can't save a hopeless situation.
Hannibal's situation wasn't hopeless had he received reinforcements after Cannae he probably could've won the war but due to a number of reasons he lost.
Well the war might last longer but 1942/3 it was clear (with power of hindsight) that Germany would lose the war, once the Germans' initial advance was stopped the war cannot be (realistically) won. I actually consider that Barbarossa was doomed from the start, no matter what improvements you can find for them (Japanese joining the war and such) unless you change something before the war.
Also could you please tell me what you are searching for with this TL?
By 1942 the war was lost, the meat grinder had already started and the offensive to take back the oil fields of USSR had failed. Right now, the meat grinder is one sided meat grinder and the soviet southern armies have ceased to exist.

The oil fields of USSR in nazi hands, I will not reveal the future chapter but Moscow is a very very reasonable target for the nazis high command. They can continue the war forever with USSR’s oilfields, they can go on offensive and chase back any soviet armies who will most definitely try and dislodge him from Stalingrad without the advantages of the defensive trenchs and a strong postion.

British would never be able to bomb the oil fields quick enough before the German Air Force is able to establish a strong defensive bases and turns any am such attack into their graves. Remember that Stalin will now not be able to reinforce Leningrad and will have to either A send troops to take hold/take the south or B keep those troops to defend Moscow.

He will split his reservist force between Moscow and the south, and send his best general to retake the south. Which means, Germans will probably starve Leningrad by the mid or end of 1942.

By 1942 the war was lost, the meat grinder had already started and the offensive to take back the oil fields of USSR had failed. Right now, the meat grinder is one sided meat grinder and the soviet southern armies have ceased to exist.

The oil fields of USSR in nazi hands, I will not reveal the future chapter but Moscow is a very very reasonable target for the nazis high command. They can continue the war forever with USSR’s oilfields, they can go on offensive and chase back any soviet armies who will most definitely try and dislodge him from Stalingrad without the advantages of the defensive trenchs and a strong postion.

British would never be able to bomb the oil fields quick enough before the German Air Force is able to establish a strong defensive bases and turns any am such attack into their graves. Remember that Stalin will now not be able to reinforce Leningrad and will have to either A send troops to take hold/take the south or B keep those troops to defend Moscow.

He will split his reservist force between Moscow and the south, and send his best general to retake the south. Which means, Germans will probably starve Leningrad by the mid or end of 1942.
Taking Stalingrad doesn't mean that the Germans take the Caucasus, Soviets would retreat to the East of the Volga if the casualties were too great, Stalingrad was where the German advance was halted but if it is halter 300m after it doesn't change much. Soviets aren't stupid they won't defend Stalingrad if it means losing all of their armies. Also the Soviets would destroy their own oilfields if the Germans somehow managed to arrive in Azerbaijan. Assuming all of what I've said doesn't happen the Germans would be far over-stretched and while millions of troops are used for the vain hope of getting oil the Soviets can strike somewhere else and encircle those troops.

Garrison

Donor
Actually it was pretty much hopeless given the disparity in resources. they massively overperformed in France and the opening of Barbarossa, in no small part because of the terrible quality of the enemy leadership. Military genius, which is always overrated, is no substitute for factories, manpower and raw materials in a modern industrial war.

nbcman

Donor

So what Army or Army Group is 'The General Barca' in charge of? Per your OP he is Erich Hoepner that was cashiered during the winter fighting and dismissed from the Wehrmacht. ITTL he was placed in charge of the 4th PZ Army attacking Stalingrad in October 1941(?). So why would the brilliance of a single army commander in a different Army Group allow Op Edelweiss succeed, solve all logistics issues, and make the Germans Notzis and Soviet citizens as sheep by offering Soviet citizens protection 'in exchange for information and guides' after his command of the 4th Pz Group for AG North was characterized by the commander of Einsatzgruppe A as follows: Stahlecker described army co-operation as "generally very good" and "in certain cases, as for example, with Panzer Group 4 under the command of General Hoepner, extremely close, one might say even warm."

So what Army or Army Group is 'The General Barca' in charge of? Per your OP he is Erich Hoepner that was cashiered during the winter fighting and dismissed from the Wehrmacht. ITTL he was placed in charge of the 4th PZ Army attacking Stalingrad in October 1941(?). So why would the brilliance of a single army commander in a different Army Group allow Op Edelweiss succeed, solve all logistics issues, and make the Germans Notzis and Soviet citizens as sheep by offering Soviet citizens protection 'in exchange for information and guides' after his command of the 4th Pz Group for AG North was characterized by the commander of Einsatzgruppe A as follows: Stahlecker described army co-operation as "generally very good" and "in certain cases, as for example, with Panzer Group 4 under the command of General Hoepner, extremely close, one might say even warm."

Let's also not forget that Hitler wouldn't see him in a very good light if he prevented the deportation of Jews, he would likely be kicked out because of this ITTL.

No , the logistical issues still exist. Giving soviet citizens immunity allowed him to understand the sewers, which allowed him to dislodge the soviet defenses and further destroy the army (read the thread). Germans were able to spply their army to some degree in Stalingrad, so the same supply state remains.

And this general is completely and totally different person than the OTL Erich. He is much younger, much more natural general. He is the best tactican in the history, he will win any battle that could reasonable be won. Already he has prevented 1 and half million German loss (1 million at Stalingrad and half a million at Leningrad), that means Germany and Soviet Union are on a very even footing especially considering that Germany control soviet oil field, which means Soviet Union will be the ones having the supply problems not the German.

Taking Stalingrad doesn't mean that the Germans take the Caucasus, Soviets would retreat to the East of the Volga if the casualties were too great, Stalingrad was where the German advance was halted but if it is halter 300m after it doesn't change much. Soviets aren't stupid they won't defend Stalingrad if it means losing all of their armies. Also the Soviets would destroy their own oilfields if the Germans somehow managed to arrive in Azerbaijan. Assuming all of what I've said doesn't happen the Germans would be far over-stretched and while millions of troops are used for the vain hope of getting oil the Soviets can strike somewhere else and encircle those troops.
Soviet forces were concentrated in Stalingrad, not a single soldiers is able to retreat from Stalingrad, their army is virtually lost. (Due some soviet stupidity ie Stalin deciding to concentrate all his force in Stalingrad like he did in OTL).

That’s exactly what the soviets tried doing, encircle the German army. They failed and the army they had sent to encircle the Germans is lost. The oil reserves were vain hope in OTL, in this TL they are a actually real possibility due to complete and utter loss at Stalingrad. Of course Stalin would try to send a army to take Stalingrad and that is complete premise of the next chapter.

Soviet forces were concentrated in Stalingrad, not a single soldiers is able to retreat from Stalingrad, their army is virtually lost. (Due some soviet stupidity ie Stalin deciding to concentrate all his force in Stalingrad like he did in OTL).

That’s exactly what the soviets tried doing, encircle the German army. They failed and the army they had sent to encircle the Germans is lost. The oil reserves were vain hope in OTL, in this TL they are a actually real possibility due to complete and utter loss at Stalingrad. Of course Stalin would try to send a army to take Stalingrad and that is complete premise of the next chapter.
The Soviets controlled 300m of territory in Stalingrad at the beginning, tell me how do you put 180k men there? The Soviets didn't do major counter-offensives except for defending Moscow in 1942 and they never threw their entire armies in those counter-offensives. You need God to intervene and destroy the Soviet troops in the South for this to happen.
Edit: Stalin wouldn't concentrate all of its armies in the South just as the Germans shouldn't concentrate all of their forces on Army Group South (which is the only way I see a German offensive in the South working)

Last edited:
The second battle of Stalingrad.
POV is the head of army, the guy above our alternate Hannibal Barca.

I exclaimed, “they are coming?”

He nodded meekly,

“Again with just as many men?”

He nodded again.

“We can barely afford to garrison the oil field, we have no airforce at Stalingard lest the British destroy the oil fields. What will we do?” My hand was on my chin, I truly didn’t fear the soviet army but the Air Force they might bring with them. Unlike the last time we can’t use our own.
He loudly proclaimed, “We still have two weeks to dig trenches and soften the ground.”
I laughed and said, “In the middle of winter, you will have our men dig trenches and our tanks run circles on the frozen river.”
“They can wear the fur caps from red army.”
“We barely have enough to cover a third of our men.” He grinned and said, “That’s all we will need.”

Two weeks of men working double shifts to build the trenches while he tried to break the freezing river. Finally we have settled on an artillery to ensure that the river stays liquid. Our best artillery would not support us in the fight but protect our flanks.

By the end of second week, Erich had taken a vanguard of our best men to face and lure the enemy in our terrain. With any luck, we would only face broken men without an army. He had also taken the last of air power to cover his head, so air defenses had to be manned at all times for a surprise attack on the city of ruins.

After three days, a roll of tanks was heard. It was soviets who come first not our own, I was disheartened to know that our best men were dead. Yet a slick of doubt remained, the enemies were an intact force. I could barely believe that they had taken out a force of 50,000 men in the last three days.

The only other possiblity was that they had not faced Erich’s fourth panzer army in battle. I prepared the defenses, ordered a full shelling on the river. Not a shitty chance, I don’t think I will let myself get outmanoeuvred by these fucking cunts.

Our second artillery battalion launched a full assualt on the coming waves of soldiers. They must have lost thousands of men, and then they launched another assault and kept launching failed assaults on our trenches. After fifth Attacks, our men were battered and we looked at the horizon as the soviet army melted against an assualt on their rear.

Our reinforcements have arrived.

obviously I am not smart enough of know how Erich would defeat the soviets but just assume that he does. By the way, Soviets were launching human waves attack to figure out German defenses. It was a very common soviet and Chinese tactic. Also this is happening in February of 1942, Stalin thought that the winter would give the advantage to the Russians.

Last edited:
This scenario is about as realistic as giving the Germans laser guns.
No, here German weakened the soviet defences using sewers. The same sewers that were crucial to the defense of Stalingard in OTL, then he was able to to dislodge the enemy from their position while flanking the force that was moving to encircle the German army. The force which was encircling the Germans had left a slight undefended region (they must have considering the incompetence of the soviet army at the time), which Erich exploited and was able to rout the entire enemy forces.

It makes more sense in a history book, I will use History book style from the next chapter.

The Soviets controlled 300m of territory in Stalingrad at the beginning, tell me how do you put 180k men there? The Soviets didn't do major counter-offensives except for defending Moscow in 1942 and they never threw their entire armies in those counter-offensives. You need God to intervene and destroy the Soviet troops in the South for this to happen
Soviet troops in the south have roughly two armies, both were in Stalingard. One was defending Stalingard and the other was moving the encircle the German army in1941. In OTL, they were successful. Here Erich caught them in them in the middle of the movement, dislodge the defender and attack a relatively undefended portion of the soviet counter offensive force (it is highly likely they would have left some gaps in the offensive, as the soviet army was hideous incompetent in 1941).

Because he is able to dislodge them and destroy the counter offensive force, he is able to destroy the Russian armies completely.

No, here German weakened the soviet defences using sewers. The same sewers that were crucial to the defense of Stalingard in OTL,
No, they weren't. Soviets didn't defend Stalingrad by fighting in Stalingrad using sewers or whatever else. Soviet presence in Stalingrad proper was utterly irrelevant by the middle of October and Germans already controlled almost the entire city. Even if you assume that they will take all of it via whatever means it will not achieve them victory.

No amount of magic tricks or fancy tactics can help Germans to win there.

It does not matter how godlike uber wheraboo your General is, the Einsatzgruppen will follow. You cannot countermand the Führerprinzip. Anyway, if you have a German Hannibal, where exactly is your Soviet Scipio?