Renovation: An Eastern Roman Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it's time for Germiyan and Trebizond to team up (said team-up was foreshadowed by Sov in an earlier post) and split Candar among themselves?

Deleted member 67076

Aren't they lacking the first? and isn't the second undercut by the bureaucracy and so unhappy?

Yes and?

------

The defections and revolts came as a shock to the imperial establishment. Decades of (supposedly) tight control over the establishment had seen the government lose its experience with matters of civil strife and thus the initial response to the defection of field armies was sluggish and taken lightly. In hindsight, this was terrible, as it allowed rebels time to organize their power base and expand.

They number approximately 11,000, the size bolstered by angry, unemployed citizens eager to take arms and plunder to enrich themselves. The profile of this faction is largely based in the western, poorer regions of the empire of Macedonia and northern and inland Hellas and as such this is the region that they quickly seized from imperial authorities. Led by a loose coalition of generals, Zealot affiliated priests and other charismatic individuals, all united in a common hatred of the current economic depression.

Meanwhile in Constantinople, the aging, stress filled and increasingly frail emperor John V abdicated and retired to a monastery, finding it easier to throw this issue to the next generation rather than take control. His rule had seen him with virtually no experience in dealing with military matters. Still, ruling from age 9 up until an impressive 64 years of age, his decision was while unexpected, unquestioned. Entering the throne is emperor Constantine XI, second and eldest surviving son of John V.

Constantine is in no mood to tolerate dissent. Unlike his father, who had been raised and grew up in a position where guile, compromise and diplomacy had been absolutely necessary, the new emperor had been raised secure of his position and his destiny. Unsurprisingly, he has absolutely no tolerance for dissidents, and much less for revolts. When given the reins, the emperor goes out to terminate the revolts with extreme prejudice. The remainder of the armed forces loyal to him (the mercenaries, the navy and about half the pre civil war army; mostly those in Thrace and Asia who can afford a cut in pay thanks to their land holdings) that can be spared are recalled to Thrace in order to march upon the rebels.

However Constantine does not act initially. He is prudent enough to realize that with rebels cutting off revenue of Macedonia and northern Hellas the shrinking imperial budget will be cut once more, leaving the treasury even more stretched. Thus there needed to be new sources of income filling the coffers. To him there are 2 obvious sources, both of which the Viceregent of God chooses to use: The glittering wealth of the church, unmolested by the state for nearly a century- and raising the tax burden.

The current crisis being religiously charged by fringe groups that are nearly heretical sees the first one pass relatively easily. The Patriarch agrees to give the imperial treasury the needed funds for the duration of the war, buying the emperor enough time to pay his troops and regain their confidence. Following that an increase on the current taxes of the common folk are pushed forth. Interestingly, the latter is dealt with with minor complaints. This is for 2 major reasons: Thrace, coastal Greece and Asia Minor are all on average much richer regions where in which taxes were, comparatively speaking rather low. That and whatever hint of revolt is dealt with a very quick, very surgical and above all very ruthless response by the imperial government.

With the necessary funds to secure his position, Constantine resumes his march.

All the while, the powers that be have not been idle as Romania stirs. To the east in Anatolia, the withdrawal of imperial forces from the heavily fortified frontier has the Germiyanids Sultanate -no longer content with being a mere beylik- licking their lips in anticipation. These past years had seen the other beyliks move together in opposition, stunting expansion in the east. But this did not mean Germiyan had been idle, for the Sultan had been merely preparing for the next round of conflict. Reorganizing, rebuilding and fortifying.

The target is not Romania however. It is Aydin. This rich strip of coastal land contained many strategic goals for the Sultanate, and with their patron distracted it is time to act. The Sultan wheels his forces east and begins the march to Smyrna for the Aegean is at hand.

Despite resisting valiantly for 2 years, the small principality was unable to stop the onslaught of a vastly superior and larger force. Due to the war, the Imperials could only spare token forces. But Aydin was not alone, for Candar had take up arms against the sultanate in a pre emptive strike to maintain the current balance of power. This, much to the horror of Smyrna, wasn’t enough to relieve the pressure on Symrna. Candar had not reformed her army, nor had she entirely recovered from war against the Ottomans. A quick, efficient conquest was at hand. As Constantine had retaken Thessalonica for the imperial government, decisively shifted the balance of power back into Imperial hands; Gerimiyanid forces were besieging Smyrna. Knowing fully well there was little chance of relief, the ruling emir, one Nasir Bey, took his family and fled with the navy to his Aegean possessions. From there he rebuilt his court, and ordered his troops to harass the Germiyanid forces while provide support to the Candarids in their counter invasion. Envoys was also sent to the Imperial government pleading with them to aid in the liberation of their conquered lands as soon as possible.

Constantinople agreed with little complaint, though their price was high. Aydin would become a full fledged vassal and the Aydinid navy, the only source of power left for the tiny emirate, was to serve the Roman Navy as auxiliaries. But intervention was not to happen immediately. The Romans were fresh from breaking the back of the rebellion and reintegrating the armies under government command. Now it was time to lick their wounds, implement the needed reforms to balance the budget, make sure their payments to the Italians are met and cement Constantine XI’s unquestioned rule. Government taxation of church funds, despite initially being a temporary measure would continue upon the ‘convincing’ of the upper echelon of the church. Additionally, the end of Thessalonica’s autonomy with its reintegration from Rebel hands would provide another source of income. With great care, a balanced budget was forming. But that was not enough for the Romans to feel secure.

When the Romans felt the ready to intervene once more in 1397, the balance of power in Asia Minor had undergone a transformation. Germiyan was in… an uncomfortable position. The new conquests, while having paid for themselves on the one hand, now caused the Sultanate to be at war with every single one of her neighbors on account of fear of being the next target. From Karaman to Candar to Hamid the beyliks united in opposition to a rising hegemon. Once more war returned.

But Germiyan had prepared. The east had been fortified and with the Aegean secure troops could be shifted east to defend the prepared chokepoints. The smaller beyliks were easily kept at bay, but Candar and Karaman proved to be a different story. The former, while not entirely recovered from the assault on the Ottomans nonetheless pushed forth with their impressive cavalry. That is until the Germiyanids were able to lure Candar into pitched battle, leading to the decimation of their forces and a sharp loss of manpower. Now the tables had turned and Candar was rapidly being pushed back.

It gets worse. Trebizond, Germiyan’s ally of convenience had seized the moment and opened a second front, briskly moving her armies to seize the towns of the regions. The Pontic coast appeared ripe to be divided by these two powers.

On the other hand, Karaman was unfazed. The heirs of Seljuq could throw men into the grinder and have their troops live off the land, granting them far more flexibility in military manners in comparison to their enemies. Karaman raids went off without a hitch and despite the military preparations of their enemies, able to cause damage. We could classify the situation on the ground as a stalemate, but that would only be accurate for up until Candar was crippled. With the other major power rapidly retreating, Germiyan was able to go on the offensive.

That is, until Romania joined the conflict.

Rome’s intervention swiftly tipped the balance of power back into the hands of the coalition. Firstly, by saving Candar. After using Sinope as a launch pad to brutally sacking Trebizond, ransoming its royal family in aftermath of the unexpected attack and eliminating its presence in the current war (and ruining all the work in the past century to build up the country above a third rate power), Romania began to concentrate her forces on the remainder of Candarid territory to defend.

Secondly and simultaneously, via the deployment of troops into the Candarid frontier to roll back the invaders.

Thirdly, with the blockading of Germiyanid territory courtesy of the de facto absorption of the Aydinid fleet. Working in conjunction with the Karamanids, the Romans aim to disperse and fragment enemy forces into more sizable amounts as they occupy land while additionally demoralizing Germiyan.

To their benefit, it does work as planned. The Romans found less resistance than expected as they push down the Meander valley, conquering nearly all in sight with minimal digestible losses. Granted that mostly displays the benefits of a reformed army and exhausted enemies, but we can’t discount all the additional factors in their favor.

Fast forward to 1400. In 7 years Germiyan has gone from the major hegemon in Anatolia to being the plaything of Rome and Karaman (Candar had largely been sidelined by this point as it was clear that Rome had become the dominant power in the partnership) as the two plan out how to carve up their prize. Once more, short sighted greed has become the downfall of a promising state. And though it would be cold comfort to the Sultan and his family, huddling in a castle as a combined Roman/Karaman force pound away at their capital walls, the two powers would not celebrate their victory for long.

Both Constantine XI and Mehmet Beg may believe they have secured their position against an upstart, but that was merely a preview of what will be.

For Timur is coming.

Rome’s intervention swiftly tipped the balance of power back into the hands of the coalition. Firstly, by saving Candar. After using Sinope as a launch pad to brutally sacking Trebizond, ransoming its royal family in aftermath of the unexpected attack and eliminating its presence in the current war (and ruining all the work in the past century to build up the country above a third rate power), Romania began to concentrate her forces on the remainder of Candarid territory to defend. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Wouldn't Trebizond actually try to weasel out of it? They could switch alliances, keep coast (it's better to have Greek Orthodox state with significant Turkish minority as a neighbor, than other way around... right?) and attack Germiyan, decreasing Turkish influence even further. As a grain of salt, they'd be forced into nominal vassalage- why waste Roman resources though?

If the worst comes, the Romans can retreat behind the Aegean no?
Most certainly,like the Ottomans,and unlike the Ottomans where a large portion of their state is in Anatolia,most Roman territory currently is in Greece.And unlike the Ottomans,who had to be ferried by the Genoese across the Bosporus,the Romans have their own navy.

GdwnsnHo

Banned
A lot of Romans will see Timur as the second coming of Attila.

Or potentially the third - we do have the Ilkhanate don't forget.

Frankly, they may see his rise, and likely collapse as a boon. Timur wants to be Lord of Asia or somesuch - then he will probably attempt to conquer Germiyan, potentially be rebuffed at cost, and focus on the rest of the Steppe peoples.

Afterwards the Romans come along, take Germiyan - and then pay Timur tribute until he stops being a problem

I have a feeling that Timur's coming may be a blessing in disguise.If he ravage much of Anatolia,the Turks are going to insulate much of the damage from the Romans.By the time Timur kicks the bucket,Anatolia will probably be ripe for reconquest.

Great update! I assume Timur is going to want the title of Ghazi in this timeline as well so he'll have a whole lot of Turk to cut through before he reaches the Romans.

I have a feeling that Timur's coming may be a blessing in disguise.If he ravage much of Anatolia,the Turks are going to insulate much of the damage from the Romans.By the time Timur kicks the bucket,Anatolia will probably be ripe for reconquest.

From Soverihn's comments that Timur won't be a deus ex machina to crush the Turks, I somehow doubt that Romans will end unscathed by Timur. Or he might bypass Anatolia entirely.

Yes and?

------

I cannot help it, but I took offense by your answer. If it wasn't clear I thought that unhappy soldiers wouldn't be effective against a rebellion, maybe even joining it (because of the lack of money).

Let me rephrase your (kinda rude) answer: "Read the following update and find out ;)".

moving on...

Romans won't be left unscathed by Timur, but he will do such a number on Anatolia that they can get most of it if they play a smart and patient game (and that's assuming he will remained confined to Asia, the romans as of now don't over-rely on their asian possessions and won't have the time to get dependant on their new conquests after this war).

So who is the mother of Constantine XI?That has never been resolved.How old is Constantine XI and who has he married,did he have any children?How old are they?Did Constantine XI have any siblings?Who did they marry?

Deleted member 67076

Ya'll been excited. :D

Mehmet Beg is more f#$ked than Constantine XI.

By the way,please show us the map.
On the phone right now, so I can't exactly do that but I can give a rough description.

Real quick take the Aegean and Marmara regions of Turkey. Marmara is Roman and split the Aegean region between the two at the Menderes River. Rome gets roughly everything north of that, and the Karamanids everything south.

That's for the western part of Germiyan. Everything east of the Marmara has unofficially gone to Karaman. (its not the Romans don't want it, its that they're wary of overextension)

Nice, nice. And at least Romans are not in the first line of Timurid impact.
Thank you!
Squee, this is awesome!
Gracias!
Wouldn't Trebizond actually try to weasel out of it? They could switch alliances, keep coast (it's better to have Greek Orthodox state with significant Turkish minority as a neighbor, than other way around... right?) and attack Germiyan, decreasing Turkish influence even further. As a grain of salt, they'd be forced into nominal vassalage- why waste Roman resources though?
Oh they would. But like, its a big trading city, its on the coast, its rich, doesn't have much of a navy, and its got money. That's a nice, juicy cash infusion for Romania right there.

Although I should note Trebizond isn't dead just yet. It's south is very defensible and mountainous, and land based trade routes have not been untouched. This is a blow to them- but its not a fatal one. At the worst, they should recover in 20-30 years.

If the worst comes, the Romans can retreat behind the Aegean no?
Yeah but that'd be kinda painful for them. Anatolia is rich- even if what they have right now isn't much.

Or potentially the third - we do have the Ilkhanate don't forget.

Frankly, they may see his rise, and likely collapse as a boon. Timur wants to be Lord of Asia or somesuch - then he will probably attempt to conquer Germiyan, potentially be rebuffed at cost, and focus on the rest of the Steppe peoples.

Afterwards the Romans come along, take Germiyan - and then pay Timur tribute until he stops being a problem
Good ideas.

Or implode the place and cause it to be full of dozens of little petty emirs who want to conquer all in sight, effectively re creating the situation at the end of the 1200s. ;)
Great update! I assume Timur is going to want the title of Ghazi in this timeline as well so he'll have a whole lot of Turk to cut through before he reaches the Romans.
Now I don't want to sound depressing but historically, Timur cut through Anatolia in about 2 years without much resistance. That's not going to change in this timeline at the moment.
From Soverihn's comments that Timur won't be a deus ex machina to crush the Turks, I somehow doubt that Romans will end unscathed by Timur. Or he might bypass Anatolia entirely.
That last one just wouldn't be fun.:p
I cannot help it, but I took offense by your answer. If it wasn't clear I thought that unhappy soldiers wouldn't be effective against a rebellion, maybe even joining it (because of the lack of money).

Let me rephrase your (kinda rude) answer: "Read the following update and find out ;)".

moving on...

Romans won't be left unscathed by Timur, but he will do such a number on Anatolia that they can get most of it if they play a smart and patient game (and that's assuming he will remained confined to Asia, the romans as of now don't over-rely on their asian possessions and won't have the time to get dependant on their new conquests after this war).
Yeah, sorry about that... :eek:

Fortunately, Timur doesn't have a navy.

Even then, there's a lot of Beyliks (and Trebizond and Georgia) between Timur and Rhomania, they won't necessarily have to reach Rhomania.
Nah son, Timur is coming. :D
So who is the mother of Constantine XI?That has never been resolved.How old is Constantine XI and who has he married,did he have any children?How old are they?Did Constantine XI have any siblings?Who did they marry?

I don't have my notes with me on account of being on the phone. (ya'll have no idea how long this took to type) so again, rough estimates until Im back at my computer.

Guy's in his early 30s and at the moment has 1 child, a daughter. Don't remember who he married, or who his mom is. I do that he has 3 surviving siblings- all male. No idea who they married or if they're married.

Or implode the place and cause it to be full of dozens of little petty emirs who want to conquer all in sight, effectively re creating the situation at the end of the 1200s. ;)

Now I don't want to sound depressing but historically, Timur cut through Anatolia in about 2 years without much resistance. That's not going to change in this timeline at the moment.
I'd still imagine there will be some kind of Anakara battle.As for petty Emirates,that's a good thing.The more fragmented the Turks become,the better for the Romans.

Deleted member 67076

Yo, back on this.

Ok so far:

-Constantine XI is 39 as of 1400.
-3 other surviving siblings, all of them males. One Manuel, one Michael, and one Andreas.
-Huh, I actually forgot to figure out who's his mother. That's embarrassing. Suggestions anyone?
-Married to a Savoyard which is part of a new policy of increasing ties with the Savoy as a potential counter to Genoa.
-2 kids, a daughter and a son in that order.

I'd still imagine there will be some kind of Anakara battle.As for petty Emirates,that's a good thing.The more fragmented the Turks become,the better for the Romans.
True on all accounts. Hmm, I foresee the conquest of Anatolia being much like Russia's conquest of Siberia.

Status
Not open for further replies.