"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

Well,the figures are much more acceptable now.Supply issues are still extremely problematic as I've mentioned.They can only maintain their supply through plunder for a short term.Afterwards,they are utterly f#$ked.As I've mentioned,the population of Constantinople,700,000,is extremely hard to feed even if quite a number joined the army.

Some of those soldiers were from Constantinople itself and from the rest of European Turkey and not brought up from elsewhere.

About the supply issue: they were supposed to plunder the rich agricultural lands of Romanian Bulgaria.

I don't think it would be plausible though for the 250,000 soldiers to be solely from European Turkey.I think it would be highly implausible for the Turks not to draw most of their troops from other fronts.

The Greeks are really... As I said in this Chapter: elated.

The Sultan is actually right in his apparent madness: The Ottoman Empire is absolutely doomed if it just does nothing. It would simply prolong the agony, but it certainly has no future.

And so he decides to try something desperate:
1. Maybe we can get rid of the troublesome Greeks once and for all.
2. Granted, the Europeans will probably attack us.
3. But if we act quick enough and the Romanians are unprepared, maybe we can knock them out of the war.
4. The other powers will then probably agree to a negotiated peace.

It was a gamble. Now or never! Act decisively when we still have the resources to fight them! Later it will certainly be too late.

On the other hand, the Sultan may be actually crazy. After all, his father was Sultan Mustafa the Deranged, who had been in OTL and in TTL really mentally deranged. It may have been genetic.

European Turkey in TTL before this war was quite large: almost three times as large as OTL present day European Turkey, close in size to OTL Czech Republic.
Several hundreds of thousands of soldiers would certainly fit easily in there.
To put things in perspective, the population of TTL 1629 European Turkey was close to 2 million!

They have probably been detected by Romanian agents, but:
1. Romania had trouble with the conscription, so it could do very little to stop the Ottomans.
2. Nobody really believed that Romania can be actually invaded. Or, better said, that the Ottomans would have the guts to invade.
3. The purpose of that Ottoman army was supposed to be an invasion of continental Greece, which was separated from European Turkey by only a few miles of Romanian territory in Thessaly (territory inhabited by Greeks).
4. The Romanian Generals thought that Romania should not help the Greeks in any way and were actually disposed to let the Ottoman Army pass through those few miles of Romanian territory with only mild harrasement (for the eyes of the Emperor and of the public opinion).

These considerations cannot be inferred from the text in any way and thus should be somehow mentioned in the next chapter for clarification.

I am not sure if the Turks are really that desperate.

Yes, they now have a smaller empire than OTL but there should still be somewhere they can expand, like India or even Iran. Or if they are smart enough, they can try to modernize.

You said it right, they have one chance. So they should consider their options. Crushing head on with Europe is just...heroic. Attacking Romania means attacking Poland as well.

Btw, the great power should strip Greece of all their 'earnings' to remind them NOT to try sth like that again.

Zagan

Donor
Well,the figures are much more acceptable now.Supply issues are still extremely problematic as I've mentioned.They can only maintain their supply through plunder for a short term.Afterwards,they are utterly f#$ked.As I've mentioned,the population of Constantinople,700,000,is extremely hard to feed even if quite a number joined the army.

I don't think it would be plausible though for the 250,000 soldiers to be solely from European Turkey.I think it would be highly implausible for the Turks not to draw most of their troops from other fronts.

That is correct. The war will be extremely brutal and very short (with various interesting consequences).

Of course, I just mentioned that a part of them may be locals.

The next Chapter is prepared. I will begin to write it here shortly.
Actually there was only one chapter about the war, but I split it in two halves because it was getting too long.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I am not sure if the Turks are really that desperate.

Yes, they now have a smaller empire than OTL but there should still be somewhere they can expand, like India or even Iran. Or if they are smart enough, they can try to modernize.

You said it right, they have one chance. So they should consider their options. Crushing head on with Europe is just...heroic. Attacking Romania means attacking Poland as well.

Btw, the great power should strip Greece of all their 'earnings' to remind them NOT to try sth like that again.

The problem for the Ottoman Empire was not that it was smaller, but that Europe was modernizing faster and the gap between them did only increase.

Almost everybody (except probably Romania) will have pity of the Greeks, since the poor innocent fellows suffered so much and had so many casualties.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Damn son, how do you write so many updates so frequently with so many words.

I type with 70 words per minute. ;)

Well, really, I have lots of imagination. I envision some of it while in bed trying to fall asleep and type it the following day.

EDIT: This baby has around 75,000 words so far.
Iainbhx's Arose from the Azure Main has around 2,000,000. That is a real monster!

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I think I have to make clear the issue of naval superiority:

1. Black Sea: Total Romanian-Sarmatian control;
2. Aegean Sea: Massive Greek superiority;
3. Eastern Mediterranian: European superiority;
4. Sea of Marmara: Total Ottoman control. No European ship could pass through either the Bosphorus or the Dardanelles. It would have been shelled from the shores. The Straits are too narrow. However, there will be a daring attempt to enter the Bosphorus (see in the next chapter).

Conclusion: The Ottoman Empire could freely move troops and supplies from Asia Minor to European Turkey.

About the Greek Navy:

1. The Greeks had lots of merchant ships and ships used for travel between all those islands of theirs.
2. Many had been hastily converted into warships during the quasi-wars with Venice.

Last edited:
I.44. The Second Romanian-Ottoman War

Zagan

Donor
Romania cannot be safe as long as there still exists an Ottoman State.
(war propaganda in a Romanian newspaper)

The Second Romanian-Ottoman War

That the Romanian public opinion was shocked and outraged is an understatement. The Ottoman invasion rocked the very fabric of the Romanian society. But should it have been so unforeseen?

Firstly, the myth that we have been the innocent victims of an unprovoked and vicious attack is of course completely unfounded.
Even if completely understandable (the Greek civilians were massacred all over the Ottoman Empire), the fact remains that Romania has declared war to the Ottoman Empire and not the other way around.
In a nutshell, the situation can be described like this: We declared war and while attempting to mobilize our army, they attacked us! Unbelievable! Of course not.

Secondly, at least the upper echelons of the Romanian Army were well aware of the imminent disaster.
The way the crisis was handled was abysmal.
The Greeks had been formenting trouble in the Ottoman Empire for quite some time. It would not have been very difficult to realize that there was a definite possiblity that Romania might also get involved.
Instead of preparing for a possible war with a still relatively powerful Empire (clearly greater and more populuos than Romania), the Romanian Army and authorities continued to entertain two dangerous ideas even to the eve of the invasion: that we had absolutely no duty to help the Greeks and that Romania was completely inexpugnable. Most telling, the nationalistic discourse portrayed the Greeks as more dangerous enemies to the Romanian State than the Turks.
Even when the Turks began to assemble a huge army in European Turkey, the Romanian Generals did not get a sense of urgency. It was widely expected that more than half a million Romanian soldiers could be easily levied in two to three weeks. This proved to be delusional.

Thirdly, either treason or utter stupidity.
After less than 100,000 Romanians answered the call to arms, the Generals started to panic.
It is almost certain that the situation, dire as it was, could have been bettered even in the last moments. The Romanians could have been informed of the great danger they and the country were facing. Being told bluntly that Romania was going to be invaded with an overwhelming force would have certainly brought more Romanians to the conscription centres as it actually happened after the news of the invasion appeared in the press.
Instead, the Generals prefered to negotiate with the Turks, without the knowledge of the Romanian Government, and even promissed them safe passage through the Platamona region if they desired to invade mainland Greece.
Five Generals were court-martialled and three of them were found guilty and executed.

Fourthly, Romania was clearly in a very disadvantageous situation.
Most Romanians did not come to the recruitment centres; the best legionnaires were busy policing Hungary and the Romanian Tissa Province, hundreds of miles away from the Romanian-Ottoman border; the greatest military strategist of the Romanians, their Emperor himself, was old and ill, having recently suffered a stroke; the forces promissed by the allies were small and late to arrive.
It was obvious that the Ottomans would take advantage and attack Romania while it still was in the aforementioned unfavourable situation.
It was simply illogical to believe that the Ottomans would just wait for the Romanians to become strong enough and invade Ottoman Europe.
And yet, however illogical, it happened. Most Romanians, including the military, continued to hope until the eve of the invasion that the war Romania had declared could still be somehow avoided.

August 1629, South-Eastern Romania

The Ottoman invasion of Romania proceeded extremely fast, the Ottomans speeding North, towards the Danube, while bypassing or simply ignoring any Romanian strongholds they encountered.

Most of the Romanian Army retreated in good order while destroying bridges and roads, burning crops and poisoning wells as they usually did from their remotest history.

A few Army Commanders however, probably willing to prove their military prowess, engaged the enormous Ottoman Army, only to have their legions completely shattered. More than 4000 Romanian soldiers died uselessly, feeding the absurd pride of their leaders.

By the end of the month, the Ottomans had overrun Eastern and Western Thrace, Dobrudja and most of Bulgaria and had attempted several times, albeit unsuccessfully, to cross the Danube into Greater Wallachia.
The Ottoman soldiers behaved like the worst savages, destroying everything in their path, burning villages and towns and indiscriminately killing the inhabitants who failed to flee.

That was the moment when the Romanian patriotism started to manifest itself. Enraged by the grousome and vivid descriptions from the newspapers, the Romanians finally had a clear reason for going to war: to expel the invaders from their beloved country!
In less than three weeks, 1,737,000 Romanians (more than half of the male population!) offered to enroll in the Army, much more than the Army could realistically absorb.
After selecting only the best, Romania was able to field in excess of 500,000 men, about half of them on each side of the Danube.

12 August 1629, Alba Iulia

The 28th anniversary of Romanian Statehood was not celebrated at all. Nobody was in the mood for celebrations when the Country was seemingly falling apart and the dreaded Turks were once again pillaging the Lands of the Romanians.

How was that possible? Why were we not prepared for the worse? How could I trust those incompetents? Those damned Greeks! All this is only happening because of their gigantic ego.
I cannot stay here anymore! I have to go to war myself. Once more. For the last time. And this time I have to crush the Turks once and for all. My God! I cannot leave Iulia to deal with this menace after my death. I cannot die and leave an Ottoman State on our borders!

Mihai: "Cristina, I am leaving tomorrow morning. Take care of Maria, of Iulia and of yourself. And pray for me and for Romania."
Cristina: "Sure, Mihai. I fully understand the gravity of the situation. Do what you have to do and save the Country once again. I will take care of our family and pray."
Iulia: "I want to go to war too!"
M: "Don't be ridiculuos! Women do not go to war."
I: "Jeanne d'Arc did."
M: "My dearest Iulia... You are needed here, in the Capital. If I do not return... No, Cristina, let me finish! The child must be told the truth. So, Iulia, you have to accept there is a possibility that I die on the battlefield. If this happens, you become the Empress of Romania. If we both die, who will reign? Maria? She is three years old for Christ's sake!"
I: "I am not of age either..."
M: "Cristina will be Regent. You two seem to get along very well."
I: "Yes, Cristina is like my sister. I love her very much."
C: "I love you too, my darling."
M: "Obviously, I do not intend to die on the battlefield. We just have to take into account all the possibilites, even the tragic ones, that's all."
I: "I understand, granddaddy. I will do what is expected of me. But, after this war is over, may I go to the Military Academy? If I am to be Empress one day, I will have to know how to wage war, won't I?"
M: "Oh, no! Not again! Cristina, please, stop telling her about your Ioana d'Arc!"

August 1629, South-Eastern Romania (continued)

Mihai had taken once again command of his armies and had gone to war, perhaps for the last time. At 71, Mihai was an old man and he actually started to feel old. Especially after that attack of apoplexy or whatever it might have been. His head was almost constantly hurting, the rheumatic attacks were increasingly annoying, his recurring back pain made riding a horse almost a torture and his eyes were not so sharp as they used to be.

If this war ends with the annihilation of the Ottoman State, no further wars will be necessary in the foreseeable future.

Mihai reinforced the Danube in order to prevent any possible attempts of the Turks to cross it and sent small groups of soldiers in occupied Bulgaria to harass the Ottoman Army.
At the same time, the bulk of the Southern Romanian Army liberated Romanian Thrace dislodging the small occupying force left behind by the Ottomans.

September 1629, Ottoman Thrace

Instead of turning North to face the bulk of the Ottoman Army and to liberate the occupied Romanian territories, Mihai crossed into Ottoman Thrace and advanced towards Burgas were he was greeted by the Romanian sailors who had occupied the Port through another spectacular amphibious operation.

After just six weeks since the invasion, the mighty Ottoman army, while still controlling a vast Romanian territory, had found itself completely surrounded.

The Sultan started to panic as the spectre of defeat raised its ugly head.
And only a month before he gloated that his armies had overrun a seventh of Romania in less than two weeks!

The situation was indeed dire. The territory controlled by the encircled Ottoman armies, mainly Dobrudja and Eastern Bulgaria, was almost devoid of resources. The only hope was to abandon any plans of conquest and try to break out towards Adrianople.

22 September 1629, near Târnava Mare (Veliko Tarnovo), Romania

The major battle of Târnava Mare more than anything else highlighted the enormous qualitative difference between the Ottoman and the Romanian armies. After Târnava Mare, all the Ottoman commanders realized that they should never again attempt to engage the Romanians in battle.
The battle also marked the point in history when the Western Powers began to notice with increasing concern the way the Romanians understood to prosecute war.

The opposing forces were almost equal as regards the number of soldiers: around 40,000 each. Their armaments were clearly not. The superior precision of the Romanian rifles alone could have rendered the battle one-sided. The Romanians simply shot the Turks from a safe distance with complete impunity.
The Ottomans quickly realized that they have to take cover in a nearby forest lest they be annihilated. Nothing should have prevented them to reach the relative safety of the forest. Nothing but the Romanian cannons.
The Romanian Army managed a superb barrage of artillery which stopped and confused the already disintegrating Ottoman Army.
The Turks could not comprehend how the Romanian cannons could possibly have such range and precision while being fired from the other side of a hill which completely obstructed the view. The Romanian artillerists simply thanked the matematicians and thought no more about it.

When the dusk began to set in, the Sultan had a glimmer of hope. Nightfall might save his army or at least buy another eight hours.
That little hope was shattered when the skies lit up with hundreds of incendiary devices catapulted towards his battered soldiers.
A sticky, self-combusting oil engulfed horses and men alike who screamed in atrocious pain. That concoction could not be extinguished with water and it produced horrible wounds which did not heal.

The position became completely untenable. The Sultan surrendered.

We cannot fight these Vlachs. They are of the Devil. This country is worse than hell itself. Cursed be the day when I decided to cross its border! And that burning oil! It comes straight from hell for sure! There isn't such a thing here on Earth that burns even under water. I made a horrible mistake attacking them. Now everything is lost.

23 September 1629, Târnava Mare

The Sultan together with two Pashas and 17 other high ranking Ottoman military commanders were presented to the Emperor.

Mihai: "So you are the Sultan of the Ottomans, the Caliph of all Muslims?"
Sultan Mehmed IV: "Yes, I am."
M: "I came here to judge you. To judge you all. You are guilty of heinous crimes against your own subjects of Greek ethnicity, of mass killings of tens of thousands of innocent civilians and of war crimes against Romania and the Romanian people. Do you have to say anything on your behalf?"
M4: "You do not have the authority to judge me or my subjects. We are prisoners of war and you shall specify a ransom."
M: "I do not want you to give me money. I will take all your money when I will liberate Constantinople and destroy your Sultanate. And you are not prisoners of war. You are nothing but criminals. Cold blooded murderers of women and children. Anyway, since you have nothing to say on your behalf, I will now sentence you."
M4: "Allah is great!"
M: "Oh, no, Allah is [censored]. And if you interrupt me ever again, I will have your tongues cut. So, where were we? Yes, the sentence. I sentence all of you to death by impaling, following two weeks of torture. Beginning now."
Pasha #1: "Have mercy!"
M: "Oh, yes. I have almost forgotten. If any of you decides to convert to Christianity, I can guarantee that my men will not hurt him anymore and he will be immediately released. Before the torture commences, if any of you is hungry, we have some pork and wine. We also have some water, but I would not recommend it, since, you know, we had to poison the wells because of you. I will see you in a week. In the mean time, I have a war to take care of. Have a good day."
P1: "Is he serios?"
M4: "He seems to. We'd better convert. Allah knows better that we do not mean it."
P2: "Are you sure, Your Majesty?"
M4: "Yes, the war is lost anyway. Our martyrdom will not change anything."

Guard: "Măria Ta, the Sultan wants to speak with you. He decided to convert."
M: "Did they... put him to the apparatus?"
G: "Oh, no, Măria Ta, it was not necessary."
M: "Good, bring a priest."

The Sultan, the two Pashas and 11 of the other military leaders were baptized in the Romanian Orthodox Church in a public ceremony on a high pedestal in front of the masses of Ottoman prisoners gathered below.

M: "Now, that you converted to the true faith, tell me, please, in your former religion, Islam, is apostasy a punishable offence? And what would the punishment be, because it seems that I have forgotten it."
M4: "What relevance does that have anymore? I will never return to a Muslim land anyway."
M: "But you will return in the middle of your men soon enough. And I asked you because they did not seem happy watching your baptism."
M4: "You gave your word! You said that if we converted you would spare our lives! Was it a lie?"
M: "No. I did not lie. I only said that none of my men would hurt you. I did not say that I would prevent your own men from hurting you. God have mercy of your souls... Because I cannot. Now throw them to the crowds."

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Note: Actually, in Islam, Apostasy performed under duress is not considered valid and thus not punishable by death.

The soldiers may have killed their former Sultan and Caliph because of:
1. Not knowing the exact rule.
2. Out of shame of seeing their supreme religious leader being baptised.
3. To punish him for the military disaster in which he dragged them.
4. Any other reason.

Last edited:
... I wonder if some of his Generals start recalling histories of Gaius Marius and his last Consulate ... Mihai while still arguebly at his full mental capacity, clearly have broken something in the head, and a protential danger if not sidelined, but how do you sideline someone as popular?

You might even argue that the best thing for Romania would be for someone more loyal to the idea of 'Romania' than to Mihai, to very quietly arrange/provoke a second, deadly stroke either even while still at war (as with the Sultan down Ottomans might well be out for the count), or soon afterwards.

Zagan

Donor
... I wonder if some of his Generals start recalling histories of Gaius Marius and his last Consulate ... Mihai while still arguebly at his full mental capacity, clearly have broken something in the head, and a protential danger if not sidelined, but how do you sideline someone as popular?

You might even argue that the best thing for Romania would be for someone more loyal to the idea of 'Romania' than to Mihai, to very quietly arrange/provoke a second, deadly stroke either even while still at war (as with the Sultan down Ottomans might well be out for the count), or soon afterwards.

Very difficult to happen. Almost all of the Romanians look at him like a demigod or something.

For example, the Senate: Mihai urges them to vote according to their own views but then they discuss endlessly trying to guess what his opinion on the subject might be!

However, a reasonable solution will present itself soon enough.

Last edited:
Sure, its extremely difficult to make happen, specially if you're hoping to not be implicated, but at least some of the generals (and at this point probably mainly/only the generals) would probably start drawing parallels and be quite concerned even if they most likely wouldn't even dream of speaking a word about it to anyone, even each other if they knew they saw the same lines).

Zagan

Donor
The country will slowly get more democratic, with ups and downs.
I will not give here more precise details, only that a lot of things will change, even if Mihai will live for another ... years.

Last edited:
I would suggest not pushing the Democratic angle to fast, as you've already pushed the plausiblilty of Proto-Nationalism getting established so much earlier. At most i'd say give Romania a Parlamentary tradition similar to Great Britain, with the Senate slowly gaining more power, while in a constant, if low-intensity stuggle with the royal house about who rules how much about what.

I would suggest not pushing the Democratic angle to fast, as you've already pushed the plausiblilty of Proto-Nationalism getting established so much earlier. At most i'd say give Romania a Parlamentary tradition similar to Great Britain, with the Senate slowly gaining more power, while in a constant, if low-intensity stuggle with the royal house about who rules how much about what.

Seconded

This TL is highly readable, I hope you feel no need to adapt 17th century Europe to modern values.
Also, very badass of Mihai against the Sultan. Made me think of GoT.

With the slaughter now encompassing Romanian new territories inhabited by non-romanian citizens, will this unite the surviving people with Romania, and maybe bring a few new settlers now that there suddenly is plenty of land available.
I hope the Romanian army does not reciprocate the horrors of the Ottomans and Greeks.

Zagan

Donor

I was not talking about elections and political parties. Of course. In fact, I did say slowly.

Seconded

This TL is highly readable, I hope you feel no need to adapt 17th century Europe to modern values.
Also, very badass of Mihai against the Sultan. Made me think of GoT.

With the slaughter now encompassing Romanian new territories inhabited by non-romanian citizens, will this unite the surviving people with Romania, and maybe bring a few new settlers now that there suddenly is plenty of land available.
I hope the Romanian army does not reciprocate the horrors of the Ottomans and Greeks.

The Ottoman territories conquered by Romania will be limited to the most part of Ottoman Thrace (as already shown in a before its time map).

The population structure is something like this: 58% Greeks, 23% Bulgarians, 10% Turks, 1% Romanians, 8% Others.
Romanian settlers will be very needed.

Non-Romanian subjects, not citizens. The difference is important.

The Romanian Army will certainly not conduct any atrocities against the civilian Ottoman population. I can promise you that.
On the other hand, the Romanian civilians with extreme Romanian nationalists views might organize some pogroms or something. Probably nothing too severe.

The genie of Nationalism is out of the bottle. Some excesses will happen.

I do not know what GoT means and google was not very helpful. The movie Game of Thrones maybe?

Last edited:
I.45. The Horrors of Modern Warfare

Zagan

Donor
The destruction of Constantinople terrified and shocked Europe.

The Horrors of Modern Warfare

October - November 1629, South-Eastern Romania

No more major battles took place during the rest of the autumn.
The still over 100,000 strong Ottoman Army trapped in Romania retreated in good order to the easily defendable region of Northern Dobrudja, sheltered on three sides by the lower Danube and the Dobrudjan Black Sea Coast.

After the momentuos victory in the Battle of Târnava Mare, Mihai split his Army in two. The bulk of the Army headed South, aiming straight for Constantinople, while the rearguard, lacking sufficient strength to storm the Ottoman held pocket, placed the whole of Northern Dobrudja under siege.
This action had tragic consequences as, besides almost half of the Ottomans, tens of thousands of local Romanians, Bulgarians and Turks literally starved to death.

4 December 1629, Constanța, Romania

61,400 Ottoman soldiers and officers surrendered to the Romanians and were marched into captivity. That was the greatest number of men to surrender simultaneously in living memory if not in the entire history.

The total number of Ottoman prisoners of war reached the huge number of 114,800, straining the limited logistical capabilities of the Romanian State. All those people had to be fed, even if meagerly, they had to be housed, kept warm in the freezing winter and properly guarded. It was really a logistical nightmare and an extremely expensive one.
The situation was so difficult that even killing them was considered, only to be quickly dismissed. After all, Romania was figthing the Ottomans because of their supposed barbaric behaviour. It would have been highly hypocritical if Romania were to immitate the very barbarism it was supposed to put an end to.

The solution was to build special purpose prisoner camps on the banks of some of the canals that were in the process of being dug all over Romania.
The prisoners were given food and accomodation by the enterprises tasked with the digging, which in turn benefited from the unpaid work of the prisoners.
To put it bluntly, it was forced labor in slave-like conditions. But at least they were alive, almost adequately fed, housed in crowded, rudimentary but heated barracks, safe from the fury of the Romanian winter and nurtured the hope to some day return to their homes.

October - November 1629, Ottoman Thrace

Romanian advance in Ottoman Thrace was lightning fast.
The seemingly unstoppable string of Romanian victories and the incredible speed with which the utterly demoralized Ottoman Army was retreating towards Constantinople started to worry the other European States. The Great Powers Council notwithstanding, Germany and Italy began to seriously ask themselves who would be the next.

8 October: The Romanian Army overran the Bayezid Line, the first Ottoman defence line in Thrace.

17 October: The Romanians took the Port of Xanthi at the Aegean Sea and thus cut the Chalcidic Peninsula with the City of Salonica from the rest of the Ottoman Empire.

27 October: The Greek population of Adrianople rised against the Ottoman authorities, managed to liberate the City and proclaimed a Republic.

31 October: The Romanian Army shelled the Adrianople City walls anyway, stormed the City, dissolveed the Adrianople Republic, arrested its leaders and placed the City under military rule.
Neither Greece nor the Great Powers had anything to comment about that. Adrianople, like all of Ottoman Thrace with the exception of Constantinople had been assigned to Romania in the Romanian-Greek Treaty of Platamona.

6 November: The Romanians overran the Suleiman Line, the second Ottoman defence line in Thrace. The remnants of the Ottoman Army began to retreat behind the Osman Line, the third and last Ottoman defence line before Constantinople.

13 November: The Romanians reached the shores of the Sea of Marmara.

22 November: The first Romanian Legions reached the Osman Line, a mere 20 miles from the walls of Constantinople.

24 November: The Romanians suffered their first major defeat while trying to capture the Gallipoli Peninsula. At least 1200 legionnaires and more than 3000 soldiers lost their lives on the Isthmus of Agora in two desperate attempts to storm the heavily enforced Ottoman positions.

At the end of November, almost all of Ottoman Europe was under Romanian control, with three exceptions:
- The perimeter of Constantinople, between the Black Sea, the Bosphorus Strait, the Marmara Sea and the Osman Line;
- The Gallipoli Peninsula, between the Aegean Sea, the Dardanelles Strait and the Agora Isthmus;
- The area assigned to Greece in the Treaty of Platamona (the Chalcidic Peninsula with the City of Salonika), territory which the Romanian Army did not even attempt to capture (Let the Greeks fight for it).

The small forces pledged by the Western Powers were one by one ordered back, most of them even before they managed to see any fighting. (Romania seems more than capable to win the war by itself. Our help is certainly neither needed nor appreciated.)

Only a small Sarmatian army of several thousand men continued to fight the Ottomans in far away Armenia, albeit having little influence upon the European Theatre of War.

1 December 1629, Alexandria, Egypt, Ottoman Empire

In the morning, a lone Romanian ship sailed into the Harbour of Alexandria under the Flag of Truce.
The Romanian representatives were received by the Ottoman Governor of Egypt and after complicated talks that took most of the day, Romania scored its most stunning victory against its Ottoman foe.

2 December 1629, Alexandria, Kingdom of Egypt

The Ottoman flag was lowered and the new Egyptian flag was raised over the Palace of the Governor in Alexandria.

Egypt had severed its ties with the Ottoman Empire and proclaimed itself an independent Kingdom. Romania immediately recognized the new State.

14 December 1629, near Constantinople

The Ottoman Empire sued for peace.
As a precondition for any talks, the Romanian side demanded that all massacres should cease immediately and permanently. The Ottoman side accepted the request.

The peace talks were held in Adrianople and would linger for almost a year, the positions of the two delegations being virtually irreconcilable: The Romanians insisted on completely pushing the Ottoman Empire out of Europe while the Ottomans would obviously not accept losing Constantinople at the negotiating table.

In Romania almost everybody considered that the war had been won and celebrations erupted all over the Country. After a pause of more than four months a ball was announced for Christmas. It would be the scene of the infamous Iulia Scandal, the last strike of the so called Annus Horribilis.

16 December 1629, Platamona, Romania

A Greek Army crossed the border into Romania advancing towards the Ottoman border near Salonika.

Mihai: "Let's get the facts clear. Are you telling me that the Greeks have invaded us?"
General: "No, Măria Ta. They are just aiming for the Ottoman pocket in the Chalcidic."
M: "But they are crossing Romanian territory, aren't they?"
G: "If Măria Ta remembers, that territory was supposed to become Greek after our eventual conquest of Ottoman Thrace, conquest which has already happened."
M: "It doesn't matter! They had to ask for our permission first. Then they had to wait for us to officially cede that territory and then for us to properly vacate it. Only then should they have sent their armies there. As it stands, Greece has invaded Romania and we have a clear cassus belli."
G: "While it is obvious that the Greeks acted hastily and in a completely undiplomatic fashion, I hardly think that this is a reason to attack our ally."
M: "I have not asked for your opinion."
G: "You have not asked the Senate either."
M: "How dare you!?"
G: "I am sorry, Măria Ta, but I am also sure that I will rather resign than order my men to attack Greece."
M: "Do all of you think the same way?"
Generals: "Yes, Măria Ta."
G: "It would be inconcievably from military, political, diplomatic and moral points of view to attack our ally for which we started this war in the first place over their transgression of a piece of territory which we should have already ceded to them anyway. All of that while our enemy has not been defeated yet!"
M: "Is this a coup?"
G: "No, Măria Ta. It is not a coup. Just a polite remainder that you are reigning as an Imperator and not as an Autokrator or a Dictator. And this is the best political system because should you make any mistake, there would always be someone there to stop you."
M: "I see. It appears that I am not needed here anymore. If you know everything so well, you can surely continue the war to its victorious conclusion all by yourselves. Good day, Gentlemen."

If I were younger, I would have conquered all of Europe with this Army while these cowards are cautious about tiny Greece! But what do I know? Maybe it's better like that. I need some rest. I definitely need to rest. I saved the Country. Now let them conquer Constantinople. I don't need it. Romania is finally secure.

Our Emperor is reminding me of Gaius Marius. Thank God that the Emperor does not have absolute power! I dread to think of what could have been if his power were unchecked!

So Mihai left for Alba Iulia. It was the last day he spent on a battlefield.

22 December 1629, Salonika

The Greek Army entered Salonika, only to be repulsed with heavy casualties later that day. For the Greeks it was yet another frustrating defeat. The Ottoman Army of the Chalcidic had enough strength and resources to continue fighting for more than a year.

15 January 1630, Ottoman Thrace

After seven weeks of intense shelling, the Osman Line finally collapsed and the Romanians engaged the Ottomans in open field warfare once again.

11 February 1630, Constantinople

The Romanian Army reached the walls of Constantinople.
The Ottomans retreated into the City and started to barricade.
The Romanians brought their powerful cannons and started to shell the City.

26 February 1630, Mecca

It appeared that some kind of revolt had taken place the previous week in Mecca. A hitherto unknown Muslim scholar or religious leader of some kind had been proclaimed Caliph and a new State, the Arab Caliphate had been proclaimed in Mecca and Medina. Both the actual extent of the self proclaimed State and the territory claimed by it remained unknown. It appeared however that the Ottoman power in the Arabian Peninsula was collapsing rapidly.

6-8 March 1630, Constantinople

The Romanians entered Constantinople for the first time.
After fierce street fights, they were repulsed, leaving behind thousands of casualties.

The Generals realized that taking Constantinople by force was not possible.
They decided instead to destroy, burn and starve the City into submission.

March - October 1630, Constantinople

For eight months in a row, the Romanian cannons shelled Constantinople day and night using all the explosive and incendiary devices the Romanians managed to produce in that period of time.

The results were horrific. The City was almost completely destroyed, with houses, palaces, mosques and churches alike burned, damaged or demolished.
An unknown but probably very large part of its pre-war population of 700,000 was missing, either being dead or having escaped over the Bosphorus.

Still, the defendents of the City continued to hold on.
Both the Greeks and the Great Powers were appalled by the thorough destruction of the Second Rome.

26 October 1630, Great Power Council

France and Britain proposed a resolution to coerce Romania to stop the massive destruction and to accept a negotiated peace with the vanquished Ottoman Empire.
The resolution passed with 5 votes for, 1 against (Romania) and 1 abstaining (Sarmatia).

Romania acquiesced under protest. It decisevely won the War, but failed in its objective to throw the Ottomans out of Europe.

Was the whole war worth it? In Romania the opinion was mixed.

On the plus side:
- The Ottoman Empire was dismembered and was no longer a credible threat;
- The Orthodox population of the Ottoman Empire was safe;
- Most of Ottoman Thrace was to be annexed to Romania;
- It seemed that the Ottomans were considering ceding the Holy Land;
- The Victory was decisive and spectacular, so great and encouraging for the National pride of the Romanians;
- Everybody had witnessed the might of Romania.

On the minus side:
- Around 70,000 dead civilians, countless injured, robbed of their belongings and raped;
- More than 55,000 military casualties;
- Worried and estranged European Countries, mostly Greece, Italy, Croatia, Hungary and Germany;
- Constantinople could not be taken;
- The Ottoman Empire would maintain a foothold in Europe;
- Hagia Sofia was badly damaged by explosions and fire, alongside lots of other important historical sites in Constantinople;
- More than 100,000 inhabitants of Constantinople, many of them Greeks, had been killed in the Romanian assault.

23 November 1630, Adrianople

Romania, Sarmatia and the Ottoman Empire signed the Adrianople Peace Treaty. (in the following chapter)
The other Great Powers had already signed a white peace with the Ottoman Empire, because they had not been actually involved in any hostilities.

Not pleased with the spoils, Greece declined to sign the Treaty and decided to continue the war on its own.

Last edited:
Is Greece stupid?With a population of around 500,000,WTF can it actually do on it's own even against a severely battered Ottoman Empire?

Zagan

Donor
Is Greece stupid?With a population of around 500,000,WTF can it actually do on it's own even against a severely battered Ottoman Empire?

1. Including Crete, the Ionian Islands, the Aegean Islands, Cyprus, Salonika, the Chalcidic Peninsula, the Greek areas ceded by Romania as per the Platamona Treaty (Northern Thessaly and Maritime Macedonia), the Greek State has just passed the one million inhabitants mark!
The rump Ottoman Empire has 4 to 5 million.

2. The Greeks have a (rather stupid) plan:
- The Greeks in Asia Minor will continue their insurgency without much fear of reprisals (Do not kill the Greeks anymore, you bad Ottoman Empire clause of the Peace Treaty);
- The Greek State will continue to covertly (or overtly) help and supply them;
- The Greek Navy will continue to attack the coastal cities of Asia Minor with almost complete impunity, etc.

Maybe the Ottomans will cede more territories? Whatever.

Last edited: