"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

I.39. Mihai and Christine

Zagan

Donor
Despite the great differencies in age and temperament between Emperor Mihai and
Empress Christine, their long marriage was by all contemporary accounts a happy one.

Mihai and Christine

30 September 1626, Prague, German Empire

Counsellor Radu: "Măria Ta, ahem, Maiestatea Voastră (Your Majesty)..."
Mihai: "Let us use Măria Ta as we always did. It is more... Romanian, I suppose. Yes, consider this to be a law: Everybody should address me with Măria Ta when speaking Romanian. Your Majesty should be only used in other languages. In fact, let us simply state that the translation into Romanian of the phrase Your Majesty is Măria Ta and not Majestatea Voastră. Is that clear?"
R: "Yes, Măria Ta."
M: "So, you seemed that you had something to tell me."
R: "Yes, Măria Ta, it is about Princess Cristina (Christine)."
M: "What about her? We decided to get married. What else?"
R: "Everybody expects the wedding day to be announced..."
M: "Very well, but does anyone know when will this Conference end?"
R: "You could get married before the end of the Conference."
M: "You mean, get married right here, in Prague? Why should we be in such a hurry?"
R: "It may not be of any help to rush the wedding but certainly its delay would not help either. But it is a fact that she really seems to want to get married as quick as possible."
M: "Why do you think that?"
R: "I think that if she wanted to get married next year, she would have gone home in France in the mean time."
M: "It seems that she is enjoying her stay here... And my company."
R: "She is enjoying Your Majesty's company rather too much, if I may say so. This had already generated some gossip."
M: "I see. Instead of discussing politics, these Statemen prefer talking about me and Cristina walking through the Castle Gardens. Yes, what is it?"
Doorman: "I am so sorry to interrupt, Your Majesty. Princess Christine wants to be received by Your Majesty."
M (to Radu): "Just when we were talking about her..." (to Doorman): "Tell her that I shall receive her in a matter of minutes."
R: "I shall leave now..."
M: "Oh, no. You'd better stay here... You are right, Radule, I am seeing her a little too much. But I must admit that I enjoy her company. Yes, we should get married soon, maybe before the Christmas Fast. You should take care of all the necessary arrangements."
R (smilling): "Then I have a very simple task, because most of the guests are already here!"
M: "Send her in!"

Christine: "Good Day, Michel! I am so happy to see you again!"
M: "Good Day, Christine. I would rather you did not call me like that ever again."
C: "Oh, I am so sorry, Your Majesty. I thought that... Oh, nevermind..."
M: "No, Christine, you misunderstood me. Of course you can call me by name. We are going to be husband and wife in a matter of weeks. I have just decided that it would be better to get married here in Prague before the beginning of the Christmas Fast."
C: "That is so nice. I am very happy. Do you have a calendar around here? Please, ask for a calendar... But, what should I call you, I did not understand. I think that the language barrier is the problem. Can someone please translate to me in French or in Italian? The Gentleman there perhaps?"
M: "Christine, you understand Latin very well, but you did not let me finish what I had to say. Again."
C: "I am sorry. I'll let you finish. It's just that with that Latin phrases, one can never be sure when they are finished or not. One could always add something else and still..."
M: "Christine..."
C (innocent smile): "Oh, sorry. I am listening."
M: "What I meant was that you should never call me Michel again. You can call me Michaelus in Latin or Mihai in Romanian if you can pronounce it, but you should never use the French name, because it sounds exactly like a Romanian word with a very negative meaning."
C: "I understand. Sorry, Michaelus. How did you say it was your name in your language? And what does michel mean?"
M: "Mișel means villain, rascal, wicked. And my name in Romanian is Mihai. Try to say it."
C: "I can't. I should learn Romanian, shouldn't I? Is it difficult? Could you teach me? I want to learn. I really do and I shall... Mihai!"
M: "I am not really a teacher, you know. I shall send for the best teacher of Romanian for you."
C (purring): "I would prefer to learn it from you..."
M: "We could try, but I have already told you. I am not a teacher. I have never taught Romanian or anything else for that matter. Look, here you are, a calendar."
C: "What is the Christmas Fast? Is it the Advent?"
M: "I don't know what the Advent is. The Christmas Fast starts on 15 November and ends on the Christmas Eve. And it is forbidden to have a wedding during the Fast."
C: "I understand. So, is 1 November too soon? Or is it 8 November better?"
M: "I think that 1 November is just right. After all, we would want some time for ourselves before the beginning of the Fast, wouldn't we?"
C: "Do you mean that...? Oh, no? Are you joking, aren't you? No, you are not. I am sorry to tell you that, but your religion is really a little too strict."
M: "One can always confess one's sins and be absolved..."
C: "Yes, that is true, isn't it? I will try to adapt to the mores of your, I mean of our Country. I just hope that the Romanian People will show some leniency towards me if and when I would behave improperly as far as your customs are concerned."
M: "Don't be scared. I think that our People will love you. You are so young and joyful and lovely."
C: "Am I? You are being very nice... Does he need to be here with us...?"
M: "Christine, I am sorry to inform you, but I really do not have much spare time today. I have to discuss political matters with my counsellor in order to prepare for this afternoon's meeting."
C: "I shall leave then. I hoped that you would like to spend some time with me..."
M: "Don't be mean. Of course I would like to spend some more time with you, but I have just explained to you that I do not have that time right now."
C: "I understand. Just call for me whenever you have time, would you?"
M: "Christine... One of the reasons I decided to wed you so soon is because people are beginning to talk. That we see each other too often."
C: "You Romanians are clearly different from us. No one would object in France... Well, almost no one. I mean... Anyway, we shall behave the way it best suits you and your politics."
M: "I am glad that you understand my position."
C: "So... We shall not see each other again before the wedding?"
M: "I did not say that. Of course we shall see each other. Only a little more seldom and for shorter durations, that's all."
C: "I am still not sure that you like me."
M: "Don't start this discussion again! I have already told you that I like you."
C: "I mean, like me as a women."
M: "Of course I like you as a woman! I am not that old! Come on, go to your quarters now, would you!"

Christine jumps and quickly kisses Mihai on his chin, then runs out without saying a word.

M: "Don't say a word about it. Let's better start discussing the situation in Italy for a change."

October 1626, Prague

During the month left before their wedding, the two fiancés continued to see each other, but not so much and so often as before.

Not one, but three professors from Romania arrived in Prague during that period and began to teach Christine Romanian as well as some basics of Romanian religion, history, geography, culture and mores.
The professors reported to Mihai that his fiancée seemed genuinely keen to learn and at the end of the month it was already apparent that she was progressing very well.
At the same time, Mihai tried to learn French only to realize that it is much easier to learn a foreign language at 23 rather than at 68.

1 November 1626, Saint George's Basilica, Prague

A mere six weeks after their first meeting, Emperor Mihai of the Romanians and Princess Christine Marie of France were married in an old and beautiful Catholic Church, Saint George's Basilica, located inside the Prague Castle, the very castle where the Great Powers Conference was held.
No less than ten high ranking Romanian Orthodox Priests had arrived from Romania in order to wed their Emperor in the ancestral faith of the Romanians.

The wedding was an extremely welcome distraction for the Sovereigns of Europe. It will prove to be only the first of no less than six high profile weddings celebrated at the Prague Castle during the 15 month long Conference.

November 1626 - September 1627, Germany

After the wedding, Christine moved to Mihai's quarters and from then on she was always by his side, accompanying him almost everywhere, even to some of the proceedings of the Conference.

One of the first things that Mihai had to teach Christine after their wedding was a very healthy Oriental habit, one which at that time was extremely rare in the Occident, with the Royals being no exception to it: the habit to bathe frequently. Soon she would come to love taking long baths.

The newly-weds spent the Christmas in Vienna, enjoying a quiet and well-deserved break from the tensed atmosphere of the Great Powers Conference.

After the arrival of the spring, Mihai and Christine used to leave Prague on Sundays for short rides through the picturesque Bohemian countryside.

In April it was already clear that Christine was at least three month pregnant and she was going to do her duty to her husband and to the Romanian State.

25 September 1627, Prague

Assisted by the best doctors in Germany, Christine gave birth to a healthy Princess weighing almost exactly half a stone. (Note: 1 TTL Stone = 6.352 kg)

Mihai and the rulling class of Romania felt some relief. The Romanian succession now had a backup. 12 years old Princess Iulia had a backup. This is how the newly born Princess was viewed.

They named the little Princess Maria and decided to christen her in the Romanian Orthodox Faith immediately after their arrival in Romania.

October - December 1627, Prague

By then, all the important issues relevant to Romania had been already discussed and decided upon and Mihai had long started to feel increasingly restless and homesick.
He would have probably left Prague sometime in the summer if the doctors had not advised his wife against travelling such a great distance during the last months of her pregnancy.

On 15 December, the Great Powers Conference finally came to an end.
The participants, both Royals and diplomats, by now very well acquainted and even friendly with one another, took their fairwells and departed for their respective countries.
Most of them, Mihai included, had been away from their homes for more than a year, but the results of the Conference made their long stay worthwhile.
Guaranteeing the peaceful coexistence of the European Nations for the foreseeable future was really an extraordinary and unprecedented achievement.

After celebrating another Christmas in Germany, Mihai and Christine decided to leave for Romania, not before being assured by the doctors that Maria could safely travel along.

January 1628, Europe

Mihai, Christine and Maria travelled together in the Imperial Carriage all the four weeks' journey through Bohemia, Moravia, Slovakia, Someșana and Transylvania until they arrived in Alba Iulia on 31 January 1628.

The inhabitants of Romania's Capital gathered out in the streets in great numbers despite the frosty weather and wholeheartedly welcomed their beloved Emperor, his new wife and the little Romanian Princess.

Little could they imagine the great influence the foreign Empress would exercise upon their country in the decades to come!

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Disclaimer: While TTL Princess Christine of France (born in 1603) is not exactly the same person as OTL Princess Christine of France (born in 1606), they are nonetheless similar, being genetically sisters.

Empress Christine of Romania (1626 - 16xx)

1. Painted by Frans Pourbus the Younger in Paris, around 1616, when she was an adolescent. (Wikimedia Commons link)

Christine_of_France_%28future_Duchess_of_Savoy%29_by_Frans_Pourbus_the_younger.jpg

*******************************************************************************************************************************​

2. Painted as Goddess Minerva by an unknown German painter in Alba Iulia, in 1636, with her daughter, Princess Maria of Romania. (Wikimedia Commons Link)

Christine_of_Savoy_as_Minerva.jpg

******************************************************************************************************************************​

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I have already decided to have Empress Christine have a very large influence upon Romanian Society and Politics.

While her influence upon the Society as a whole will undoubtely be largely positive (Occidentalization would be a very good thing at that time), I am still in doubt over her future influence upon the Romanian Politics.

I have three main variants, from which I hope you could help me choose:
1. Villainess, working to subvert the legal succession line (Mihai-Nicolae-Iulia) in order to get her own daughter to be the next Imperatrix.
2. Controlling type, albeit doing her job inside the normal legal framework.
3. Largely benevolent and positive character.

Any takers?

Last edited:
Trying to subvert the line of succession would be easy if Mihail is willing.Just have him marry his granddaughter to a foreign monarch far away.According to Romanian law,she would lose her right of succession if she married a foreign monarch.I think this might be a possibility should the empress get a son.

Zagan

Donor
Trying to subvert the line of succession would be easy if Mihail is willing.Just have him marry his granddaughter to a foreign monarch far away.According to Romanian law,she would lose her right of succession if she married a foreign monarch.I think this might be a possibility should the empress get a son.

Anything less than a sovereign of another Great Power will want to come to Romania and have his wife an empress, so a German or Italian Prince won't do the job.
Sarmatia is out of the question (first cousins are not allowed to marry in the Romanian Orthodox Church).
So, there are really just five possibilities: a Crown Prince from either of Iberia, France, Britain, Germany or Scandinavia.
It would not be very easy.

And of course, Mihai must approve it. Because Mihai might decide that Iulia brings her future husband in Romania. Or Mihai might be already dead before Iulia (now 12 years old) reaches marriageable age.

There are many possibilities. In the end, I think I will go for the most interesting and unexpected one.

Last edited:
There are many possibilities. In the end, I think I will go for the most interesting and unexpected one.

Her eloping with either someone to lowly ranked for him to accept (pulling an 'you won't let me marry him, but i'll do so anyway') or a foreign heir

Zagan

Donor
Her eloping with either someone to lowly ranked for him to accept (pulling an 'you won't let me marry him, but i'll do so anyway') or a foreign heir

Oh... We'll see. Right now, she's twelve.

Next chapter, tomorrow. Highlights: Family life, Greece, maybe some other things.

Last edited:
Anything less than a sovereign of another Great Power will want to come to Romania and have his wife an empress, so a German or Italian Prince won't do the job.
Sarmatia is out of the question (first cousins are not allowed to marry in the Romanian Orthodox Church).
So, there are really just five possibilities: a Crown Prince from either of Iberia, France, Britain, Germany or Scandinavia.
It would not be very easy.

And of course, Mihai must approve it. Because Mihai might decide that Iulia brings her future husband in Romania. Or Mihai might be already dead before Iulia (now 12 years old) reaches marriageable age.

Italian or German sovereign princes will want their wife to be empress,but the law is there and they have no means of enforcing their wife's claim.

Zagan

Donor
Italian or German sovereign princes will want their wife to be empress,but the law is there and they have no means of enforcing their wife's claim.

Well, it seems that I have not presented the Law of Succession in very clear terms. Maybe I am not very good at it (clear legal formulations). I actually meant something like that:

No one is ever allowed to reign or to be in the line of succession in both Romania and another country.

So, when Florica married Sigismund, she renounced all the rigths to the Romanian throne for her and her issue in order to allow her future son to become King of Poland-Lithuania (later Sarmatia)

When Mihai married Christine, she renounced all her rights (however distant) to the French throne in order for her issue to be eligible to the Romanian throne (and not defeat the purpose of the marriage).

When Iulia will get married, she and her husband will simply have to choose between his and hers line of inheritance.

If she marries the Prince of Bavaria for example, the obvious choice will be Empress Regnant of Romania.

If she marries the French Dauphin, she may choose to become a French Queen or a Romanian Empress but not both.

It is actually their choice, of the bride and groom.
Maybe I will come with a better wording for the Law.

Last edited:
Well, it seems that I have not presented the Law of Succession in very clear terms. Maybe I am not very good at it (clear legal formulations). I actually meant something like that:

No one is ever allowed to reign or to be in the line of succession in both Romania and another country.

So, when Florica married Sigismund, she renounced all the rigths to the Romanian throne for her and her issue in order to allow her future son to become King of Poland-Lithuania (later Sarmatia)

When Mihai married Christine, she renounced all her rights (however distant) to the French throne in order for her issue to be eligible to the Romanian throne (and not defeat the purpose of the marriage).

When Iulia will get married, she and her husband will simply have to choose between his and hers line of inheritance.

If she marries the Prince of Bavaria for example, the obvious choice will be Empress Regnant of Romania.

If she marries the French Dauphin, she may choose to become a French Queen or a Romanian Empress but not both.

It is actually their choice, of the bride and groom.
Maybe I will come with a better wording for the Law.
If Mihail wants to continue his dynasty in the male line,assuming the empress gave birth to a son,he could offer a random ruler a massive *bribe*....ahem I mean dowry to clear the right of succession.

Zagan

Donor
If Mihail wants to continue his dynasty in the male line,assuming the empress gave birth to a son,he could offer a random ruler a massive *bribe*....ahem I mean dowry to clear the right of succession.

This might be doable. However, there will be a twist.
In fact, I made up my mind already. Thank you.

Last edited:
As requested by Zagan, a post on Korea:

Prelude

As an event occurred that would come to dramatically change the course of history deep in the thick woodlands of Romania, another occurrence that would come to be equally significant occurred across the world - in the quiet hills of Korea. Called Joseon at the time, the country had just escaped the terrible times of warfare - no, wholesale slaughter. Begun by the mere whims of a mad ruler by the name of Toyotomi Hirobumi, the Japanese invasions of Korea which occurred over a decade came to sweep across the peninsula and involving all surrounding countries, from the resplendent Ming dynasty in the west to the ferocious Jurchen peoples in the north. Over a third of all arable lands of the country were destroyed, and half of all men were either dead or captured to be used as slaves back in Japan. The country was in tatters and the people were to be forever traumatised.

And yet there was no strong leadership to lead Joseon, either through warfare or to peace. The king Seonjo was caught politically immobile in the decades-old battle between two factions of bureaucrats("Tongin" versus "Soin"), ultimately leading to an attempted coup and subsequent purge - over a thousand were tortured and publicly executed. The purge came to be the bloodiest seen since the beginning of the Joseon dynasty itself. Although one side eventually won, the pyrrhic victory were becoming meaningless as the bureaucrats once again began realigning themselves after the war had subsided - and atop the taut line of politics sat Seonjo, neither capable nor willing to make the situation any better - perpetually brooding and wishing for a better time.

Then there was his son, Lee Hwon. Being only seventeen when the war began, he spent the rest of the war fighting with the guerrilla forces, understanding the needs of the people and the art of war - and the need to always be prepared in anticipation of it. Although the second son out of many, he stood out early in comprehension and was miles beyond any of his brothers in leadership. If Lee Hwon were to be ousted from power early amidst political infighting, as we know of him in this world, Fate was to choose otherwise in another due to his talent and expertise in ruling a nation, either in peace or war. And thus on the year 1601, after 34 years on the throne, Lee Yeon - known posthumously as Seonjo, or as the "giving king" - was to pass away in his sleep after a violent heart attack.

A state of mourning was immediately declared, and a funeral in three days. Meanwhile the two factions pulled themselves together and tried to decide who would be king. At this point in time it is necessary to entertain discourse upon what had occurred in the world we live. In this world, the two factions - one merely a vestige of itself after a vicious purge - realigned themselves to another form of bipolar politics over who was to be the successor to the yet-alive Seonjo("Pukin versus Namin"). One particular bureaucrat - as a matter of fact, the one who began the purge(Chung Chol) - began to push the king too hard over deciding in a decisive manner who his successor was to be. Two main candidates were raised - the honourable Lee Hwon, and Seonjo's late son Yongchang Daegun.

Yongchang Daegun was born from the latest concubine Seonjo acquired - one who, as a matter of fact, was nine years younger than Lee Hwon. Obviously incapable of rule and too young to really care, Yongchang represented to Seonjo a balance against Lee Hwon from becoming king early or, worse yet, oust him early on from power. Having become much more paranoid than he may have been before, Seonjo now brooded while sitting between Lee Hwon and the royal throne. This had much wider and political implications, however - after the aforementioned bureaucrat was ousted from power, the ones who argued for the harsher terms of prosecution - a large majority - began to be divided over the two monarchs-to-be.

This issue has become evaporated in the world we are to discuss, however; Seonjo's death was too early for any of these issues to arise, and the political factions themselves had yet to align into to major parties as there was yet no severely contentious issue. And thus like that, unbeknownst to our busy bureaucrats deciding who to replace the dead king in this story, the reason why Joseon struggled for centuries after the wars with the Japanese and Manchus has become resolved.
There will not be an update until November. So for now, carry on.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Contribution from Zeppelinair (Korea)

As you may see above, we have a nice contribution from Zeppelinair, from far away Korea. (Well, being in Korea, Romania seems far away...)
From the wording of the final sentence, we may infere that it is only the first part of a longer story, so we will have some follow up later on.

My TL slowly began to be a global one anyway, because the events radiated away from Romania, to the immediate neighbourhood, then to Europe as a whole and finally to other parts of the World where the Europeans had some influence and subsequently even beyond that.

As I would have been completely unable to provide any meaningful content about Eastern Asia (the Europeans simply sailing there and conquering the whole place is obviously absurd), I asked for help and Zeppelinair offered to help.

Because he is from Korea, we decided to start there and take care to get Korea to become a Regional Power in the decades to come.

Now, instead of using the TL's POD, Zeppelinair decided (for reasons pertaining to Korean history) to come with an independent POD and continue from there.

Obviously, two distinct events of that moderate magnitude happening half a World across and less than a year apart are to be considered independent from one another (despite what some Butterfly fans here might say).

Till now, it seems that the events of Korea have not interfered in any way with the Main Story.

I would have one request, though... I would prefer that the Korean POD does not happen before the Main POD, i.e. not before August 1601.

So, would it matter if the death of King Seonjo takes place one year later?

EDIT: FIXED. KOREAN POD IS NOW IN 1601 AS WELL. THANKS.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Personal problems interfere with the writing of TTL.
Until further notice, I have to put this on hold.

If you have a subscription, you will notice when I will begin to post again.
If not, I encourage you to subscribe.

I am sorry for the unexpected delay.
An ETA for the next chapter: hopefully less than a week but maybe more.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Dementor

Banned
The Romanian Language was used of course.
Until about 1840, it was mostly an oral language; we had almost no literature and most of the population was illiterate.
The Romanian Cyrillic Alphabet had been in use in Wallachia and Moldavia. By in use, I mean by those very few who could read and write, most of them being priests.
In Transylvania, everybody used the Latin alphabet only.

After the introduction of the Romanian Latin-based alphabet, literacy increased rapidly; a Romanian literary language emerged and literature began to be written and published.
But if literacy becomes more widespread earlier, the Cyrillic might not be so easily displaceable as in OTL.

In a nutshell: Probably only a few thousands people ever used the Cyrillic Alphabet to write the Romanian Language in the 5 centuries it has been supposedly in use!
There probably weren't five centuries in any case, what with the first known document in Romanian from 1571.

Edit: The phonology of a Romance language, like Romanian, makes it very awkward to write it with a Cyrrilic alphabet which is designed for Slavic languages.
Incorrect. The current Romanian Latin alphabet uses four additional letters, while using Cyrillic would not require any additional letters (assuming the usage of Ы as in Russian and Ъ as in Bulgarian). As for the Cyrillic alphabet having extra letters not needed in Romania, so does the Latin alphabet and more than Cyrillic.
I agree that the Cyrillic alphabet as used in the Moldovan SSR was badly designed due to being based on the Russian alphabet, but there is no reason why a Cyrillic alphabet designed specifically for Romanian (or simply the old Cyrillic alphabet without the unnecessary letters) would not work just as well as the modern Romanian alphabet, or better considering the extra letters needed there.

Zagan

Donor
1. But if literacy becomes more widespread earlier, the Cyrillic might not be so easily displaceable as in OTL.

2. There probably weren't five centuries in any case, what with the first known document in Romanian from 1571.

3. Incorrect. The current Romanian Latin alphabet uses four additional letters, while using Cyrillic would not require any additional letters (assuming the usage of Ы as in Russian and Ъ as in Bulgarian). As for the Cyrillic alphabet having extra letters not needed in Romania, so does the Latin alphabet and more than Cyrillic.
I agree that the Cyrillic alphabet as used in the Moldovan SSR was badly designed due to being based on the Russian alphabet, but there is no reason why a Cyrillic alphabet designed specifically for Romanian (or simply the old Cyrillic alphabet without the unnecessary letters) would not work just as well as the modern Romanian alphabet, or better considering the extra letters needed there.

1. In TTL it was easier to move to the Latin alphabet than in OTL because the transition was made 2 centuries earlier and literacy was lower.
The change to the Latin alphabet was one of the first moves made by Mihai, long before any increase in literacy happened. When literacy started to increase, the old Cyrrilic alphabet was already completely out of use.

2. That post of mine you quoted was mainly about the OTL situation in response to some comments and questions. The only posts which are indisputable TTL and canon are the Chapters.

3. You could be right, but as I have already explained several times, it was a very important political move for a variety of reasons:
- Integrating the Principalities into a single State (in Transylvania, the Cyrrilics were used extremely little);
- Emphasizing the Latinity of the Romanian Language and People;
- Breaking with the past and the foreign domination, including the foreign Church (another early measure was the nationalization of the Church: creating the Romanian Orthodox Church);
- It fitted very well the historical narrative based on Slavic invasions in the Principalities and in the Balkans in the 7th century, invasions which needed to be undone (and they were undone - 25 years later almost all the area invaded by Slavs in the 7th Century was once again under Latin / Romance rule);
- Europenization / Occidentalization;
- etc.

In a nutshell, it would have been a massive political mistake (almost unconcieveable) to keep the (extremely less used anyway) Cyrrilic alphabet in the new Romania.
Anyway, the alphabet issue is more than settled by now and the Cyrrilic alphabet is not missed.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I'm back. I am sorry for the interruption. I will resume writing tomorrow and you will have an update soon.
I hope I did not lose my readers...

Last edited: