Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

I think he means that the empire he ported was OP; it probably is less because of any organic strength of Tengrii, so much as that in player hands, the massively powerful Tengrii starting positions (In the form of Genghis Khan, super-Cumania, Seljuk Turks, etc. who IIRC, when they do their invasion in the 867 start, are Tengrii), become even more powerful after a port.

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
I'm playing a Byzantine game from the Alaxiad start and I currently have no long-term goals. Right now I'm trying to conquer Southern Italy.

Created my character for Jorvik and picked what I think are the most advantageous traits. Specifically Genius!

So the war went wonderfully, took out and annexed the petty kingdom to my north creating my borders with Skotland.

Then I waited for Jylland to conquere Mercia below me and exhaust their own men. Once they had annexed the land south of me, I moved in for the Kill, declaring subjugation for England.

I won easily as most of the territory had previously been occupied and not had time to recover.

I now controlled the duchy of Fife to the north as well as my home duchy of York.

Having succeeded at doubling my size, I took advantage of the missionaries and converted to this new Catholic Faith that most of my vassals belonged to, thus making them like me more! HURRAY!

Then I died! And the regency of my Daughter began. Not much was accomplished untill she came of age.

She was just as ambitious and looked beyond the borders for chances to expand! During the next several decades, Western Ireland as well as the creation of the entirety of the duchy of Essex was brought into the Kingdom of what had become England and Ireland!

At the age of 55 she still rules, her son and grandson anxious to rise to their own is on the horizon, fueled by their own traits of Genius and Ambition! :cool:

Wish I could share pics, but that folder location still alludes me. Best game as Jorvik/England YET! I did restart years to try and have all my heirs retain the genius trait, but no redoing other than that. I am on my way to declaring the Empire of Britannia! Skotland has not expanded beyond its natural borders, and I have tried to marry off some of my daughters multilaterally as best I can, not gone well! but the Duchy of Aquitaine will be family soon, tried to get "France" to marry that way, said yes when the child was young, and then wouldn't agree. It had revolted from the HRE and was granted its independence (German culture group, Paris is German XD ) So we will see what the future past 932 AD has in store!

More to come later! :D

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
My Byzantine game is going reasonably...

I haven't made any move to make a push back into Anatolia, I'm waiting til I solidify my control over Southern Italy.

Alexios I is in pretty good shape. Though he hasn't made any gains in Anatolia, he has softened the scars of the Empire by making new gains in Italy, controling the Heel and Toe and peacefully vassalizing Neapolis. He also went on to survive an attempt by the Doux of Cyprus to reinstall Nikephoros to the Purple.

Outside of the Empire the Seljuk control in their western provinces has collapsed. They still control some areas but they are isolated. In the Balkans the Hungarians just ended a long period of civil war(where Alexios took advantage and took Belograde). In Iberia Castile is in an excellent position to finish the reconquista, however they are in the middle of a civil war with Leon. In France it is relatively stable. They lost their northern coast to Flanders, however. In the Holy Roman Empire, things are only partially stable. Germany is relatively stable but Italy is constantly rebelling. England has completely collapsed into civil war.

My Muslim Iberia game was going really well, with no Christian kingdoms left in the peninsula except for the rump of Castille, still clinging to a couple of counties in Galicia. Furthermore, the Islamization of my realm was coming along quite nicely, with the whole south of Iberia firmly Sunni, of which I am the Caliph.

Then I get a notification that the Pope declared a crusade for Aragon. Pretty much all of Christendom simultaneously DoW's me (except for France, which I had been using my Vizier to improve relations with to prevent just such a thing), with what must have been close to 100k men marching for my holdings, and no other Muslims lifting a finger to defend the caliphate. After losing most of my military in a number of key battles, then seeing a 10k Imperial army come marching over the Pyrenees, I decided to cut my losses and surrender.

Here's the kicker: the HRE was determined to be the primary contributor, so they now hold Aragon. In addition to the healthy amount of eastern France they've encroached upon. I have literally zero hope of retaking Aragon, unless it somehow becomes independent. How likely do any of you guys think this is? I want to find a way to resolve this other than just cheating it and switching to HRE and granting them independence.

My Muslim Iberia game was going really well, with no Christian kingdoms left in the peninsula except for the rump of Castille, still clinging to a couple of counties in Galicia. Furthermore, the Islamization of my realm was coming along quite nicely, with the whole south of Iberia firmly Sunni, of which I am the Caliph.

Then I get a notification that the Pope declared a crusade for Aragon. Pretty much all of Christendom simultaneously DoW's me (except for France, which I had been using my Vizier to improve relations with to prevent just such a thing), with what must have been close to 100k men marching for my holdings, and no other Muslims lifting a finger to defend the caliphate. After losing most of my military in a number of key battles, then seeing a 10k Imperial army come marching over the Pyrenees, I decided to cut my losses and surrender.

Here's the kicker: the HRE was determined to be the primary contributor, so they now hold Aragon. In addition to the healthy amount of eastern France they've encroached upon. I have literally zero hope of retaking Aragon, unless it somehow becomes independent. How likely do any of you guys think this is? I want to find a way to resolve this other than just cheating it and switching to HRE and granting them independence.

Wait until the next HR civil war. Try to assassinate the Emperor when he has a weak heir (ideally a child) and then Holy War. In the meantime, break France down as much as you can, and try to keep relations high with other large Catholic states.

Wait until the next HR civil war. Try to assassinate the Emperor when he has a weak heir (ideally a child) and then Holy War. In the meantime, break France down as much as you can, and try to keep relations high with other large Catholic states.

Wait, why do I want to break France down? My plan is to stop expanding once I control all of Iberia, then fully convert it to Islam. France is, or was, a useful buffer against the rest of Christendom since I could maintain good relations with them. Really, my friendly ties with France were absolutely key to my nearly uncontested conquest of the Christian kingdoms. If they had decided to intervene, a distinct possibility with the holy war CB, I would have been screwed.

That's why Holy Roman Aragon is so troublesome, I have zero guarantees they won't decide to retake Iberia for Christianity, and if they do, I can do nothing to stop them.

Wait, why do I want to break France down? My plan is to stop expanding once I control all of Iberia, then fully convert it to Islam. France is, or was, a useful buffer against the rest of Christendom since I could maintain good relations with them. Really, my friendly ties with France were absolutely key to my nearly uncontested conquest of the Christian kingdoms. If they had decided to intervene, a distinct possibility with the holy war CB, I would have been screwed.

That's why Holy Roman Aragon is so troublesome, I have zero guarantees they won't decide to retake Iberia for Christianity, and if they do, I can do nothing to stop them.

In the long run perhaps. Firstly, because in any case, if the French King dies and his new heir is (as is quite likely) less friendly, then your usage of France as a buffer became worthless (and barring multiple assassination, you have little to no control over the heirs of infidel countries (even co-religionist heirs will sometimes accept an invite to your court)). Secondly, because they are, after all, a potential conquest. IMHO, as soon as Iberia is swallowed up, France ought to be ripe for the taking; at which point, you ought to start destabilizing the HRE.

Oh yeah, and for the AI many small states is actually arguably a bigger obstacle than one big state; reason being that the AI doesn't grasp the concept of waging multiple wars.

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
In my Byzantine game it is 1093 with the 1081 start.

Alexios I is still going strong. He has good relations with his vassals. He has usurped the Duchy of Apulia from the Normans and now they are based out of Salerno, which is Alexios's next target in order to rip the heart out of Norman Italy.

My plan is to Conquer Croatia and southern Italy and maybe North Africa.

So, i've played with the Magyars before and i did the the standard, invade Bulgaria - occupy all their territories - acquire more de jure Hungary + more - form Carpathia thing. But now I wanted to (ab)use the sheer power of the Magyars to do something else. There where a few kingdoms i wanted to form like Bohemia, Ruthenia etc but i ended up invading Poland which was fairly easy. So after capturing all their lands there's not a single Slavic/Polish ruler left on the face of the planet. Behold the glorious Kingdom of Lengyelország. So what should i do next. I have a fairly decent levy of about 7500+ men altough it's nothing compared to the staggering numbers you get when you form Hungary.

63xhd3.png

^^^^
Cool, I love it how kingdom names change with the cultures, does that happen with the names of all countries if you conquer them with the Magyars?

^^^^
Cool, I love it how kingdom names change with the cultures, does that happen with the names of all countries if you conquer them with the Magyars?

Likely, only Hungary's neighbors have cultural names set for Magyar culture. You can easily remedy that, however, in landed_titles.txt

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
In my Byzantine game I went for an invasion of Norman Italy to take the duchy of Salerno. By now I have destroyed their forces piecemeal and only had to contend with a 2100 stack which I destroyed handedly. I'm at 84% warscore with no occupied territory, of which I was surprised.

In my Byzantine game I went for an invasion of Norman Italy to take the duchy of Salerno. By now I have destroyed their forces piecemeal and only had to contend with a 2100 stack which I destroyed handedly. I'm at 84% warscore with no occupied territory, of which I was surprised.

Yeah, battles earn you way more warscore than occupations in most cases, at least if you can get very decisive battles (you shatter the main enemy stack and kill most of them, especially if you don't suffer many losses yourself).

^^^^

Normally only the de-jure parts of Hungary change name, but since i have the customization DLC, I thought that i could put it to good use. I only changed the name of the kingdom and the name of my capital because i'm to lazy to translate the other ones. I've conquered (not so great) Moravia and converted to Catholicism now so i can holy war all the pagan infidels around me. Also a new religion can unite the kingdom quicker and better. I'll post a screenshot later on.

Short story, I made a culture based off of Brithenig, blobbed across the British Isles, and eventually reformed the Roman Empire in a series of incredibly lucky marriages (or rather, very poorly thought out ones on the Empress' part).

Something I noticed was that the Kemrese nobles who settled in the continent diverged a bit from the main Isles, or at least in my family. Most of the old Celtic-derived names like Cefin or Cadag were phased out and replaced by Frankish-styled names, IE Brithenig versions of John, Paul, Richard, among others, which is interesting when you consider that the Karlings were who I married into in order to seize MegaFrancia.

Coincidentally, my practice of marrying off second/third/etc sons at random wound up with Russian-Pendragon dukes of Vitebsk, and Ethiopian-Pendragon kings of Abyssinia.