Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Hell, how do you get CBs outside of the De jure Byzantine Empire other than Holy War?

While others have already mentioned fabricating claims, you, since you have an Emperor-level title, have a much better way to conquer territory (which isn't applicable to the pope but otherwise much more effective): invite claimants to kingdoms to your court, land them with single counties and press their claims. Since they have that county, they will be your vassal and will remain so once they have their kingdom.

I personally don't like having king-level vassals though because it makes the vassal territories map look horrible (Since I can't create all kingdoms because of culture, meaning that parts of the realm will be single blocs and the rest chaos. I rather have patchwork all over.), so I usually look for a way to destroy the title (either by marrying into the family and inheriting it myself or by making him revolt, which isn't that hard because kings want to be independent pretty fast).

Edit:
How do I do this? How long does the claim last?

I'm new to the game!:eek:

Go to your advisers, the chancellor has a "Fabricate Claim" mission. Set him into the county you want the claim on. It will take quite a while, depending on how good your chancellor is and cost money at the end (it scales with how rich you are, IIRC), but your ruler will get a non-inheritable strong claim on the county. If you have a chancellor with at least 15 diplo he can also fabricate a claim on an entire duchy. This however takes twice as long and is twice as pricy, but usually still worth it.

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
While others have already mentioned fabricating claims, you, since you have an Emperor-level title, have a much better way to conquer territory (which isn't applicable to the pope but otherwise much more effective): invite claimants to kingdoms to your court, land them with single counties and press their claims. Since they have that county, they will be your vassal and will remain so once they have their kingdom.

I personally don't like having king-level vassals though because it makes the vassal territories map look horrible (Since I can't create all kingdoms because of culture, meaning that parts of the realm will be single blocs and the rest chaos. I rather have patchwork all over.), so I usually look for a way to destroy the title (either by marrying into the family and inheriting it myself or by making him revolt, which isn't that hard because kings want to be independent pretty fast).

Edit:

Go to your advisers, the chancellor has a "Fabricate Claim" mission. Set him into the county you want the claim on. It will take quite a while, depending on how good your chancellor is and cost money at the end (it scales with how rich you are, IIRC), but your ruler will get a non-inheritable strong claim on the county. If you have a chancellor with at least 15 diplo he can also fabricate a claim on an entire duchy. This however takes twice as long and is twice as pricy, but usually still worth it.

Thank youfor this information! Very helpful!

Rome or bust!

Edit: What happens when the Byzantines conquer Rome? I'm guessing it'd annoy the Catholics a little.

Incidentally, destroying an empire isn't possible just by killing the entire ruling family. It just means a high lord will inherit it, starting a new dynasty.

Thank youfor this information! Very helpful!

Rome or bust!

Edit: What happens when the Byzantines conquer Rome? I'm guessing it'd annoy the Catholics a little.

Surprisingly little actually. Only the Pope is really pissed about it.

I mentioned that in my game, Byzantium went Iconoclast, any way that will ever change back if the entire populous has changed and not a single character is not Iconoclast?

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
Incidentally, destroying an empire isn't possible just by killing the entire ruling family. It just means a high lord will inherit it, starting a new dynasty.

Surprisingly little actually. Only the Pope is really pissed about it.

That's really strange considering that in EU3 Catholic nations got a CB to liberate Rome for the Pope.

I don't think so. I know the Nestorians (who count as an Orthodox heresy) can't, at least. Unless you are Orthodox, I think the only way to end the schism is to literally conquer the entire Christian world and convert it to your heresy of choice.
The best and only way. :cool:

Still playing my England game, how do I convert them?

Conquer them and appoint Orthodox rulers. If there are no Orthodox rulers anywhere, nor any Orthodox provinces, then Orthodoxy has been totally annihilated and no longer functionally exists (but the Eucemenical Patriarch should still exist, I think, the same way that the Pope always exists. Although you may not be able to grant him territories)

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
I wonder how the Converter handles Healing the Schism in EUIV...

Anywho, in my game I was on the verge on winning the Tunisian Campaign when Alexios I died(1119AD) leaving me with his incompetent son(highest skill is 4). I cried. Alot. I loved him like a father...:eek: Best person I ever knew:tearsup:. I shall avenge him!

I still won the Tunisian Campaign, though! However, this will seriously delay the Libyan Campaign while I hunker down for the inevitable succession wars:prays:.

Sulemain

Banned
That's a good question, I wonder if you could do it as Monophyste as well. (Or was it Miaphyste? Whichever ones the Ethiopians follow. The one that isn't a heresy.)

Religion needs a big DLC in of itself. I mean, how about reforming the Catholic Church to a Rite system, English Rite, Greek Rite, etc? Or making Miaphysites the one true faith? Or turning heresy's into accepted versions and vice versa.

Or for Islamic countries, more mechanics around decadence and the whole idea of the relationship between Church and state in Islam.

Oh, and make the Byzantium Empire Usuprable by Muslims!