Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Created my character for Jorvik and picked what I think are the most advantageous traits. Specifically Genius!

So the war went wonderfully, took out and annexed the petty kingdom to my north creating my borders with Skotland.

Then I waited for Jylland to conquere Mercia below me and exhaust their own men. Once they had annexed the land south of me, I moved in for the Kill, declaring subjugation for England.

I won easily as most of the territory had previously been occupied and not had time to recover.

I now controlled the duchy of Fife to the north as well as my home duchy of York.

Having succeeded at doubling my size, I took advantage of the missionaries and converted to this new Catholic Faith that most of my vassals belonged to, thus making them like me more! HURRAY!

Then I died! And the regency of my Daughter began. Not much was accomplished untill she came of age.

She was just as ambitious and looked beyond the borders for chances to expand! During the next several decades, Western Ireland as well as the creation of the entirety of the duchy of Essex was brought into the Kingdom of what had become England and Ireland!

At the age of 55 she still rules, her son and grandson anxious to rise to their own is on the horizon, fueled by their own traits of Genius and Ambition! :cool:

Wish I could share pics, but that folder location still alludes me. Best game as Jorvik/England YET! I did restart years to try and have all my heirs retain the genius trait, but no redoing other than that. I am on my way to declaring the Empire of Britannia! Skotland has not expanded beyond its natural borders, and I have tried to marry off some of my daughters multilaterally as best I can, not gone well! but the Duchy of Aquitaine will be family soon, tried to get "France" to marry that way, said yes when the child was young, and then wouldn't agree. It had revolted from the HRE and was granted its independence (German culture group, Paris is German XD ) So we will see what the future past 932 AD has in store!

More to come later! :D

The game has continued today. I have pushed back the petty Kingdom of Wessex and taken East Anglia, and finished the acquisition of the Duchy of Essex moving my capital from York to Bedford and revoking Middlesex and Essex. Two of my counties now have Legalism at level 3 and the rest are just finishing up at level 2, I have also acquired Kent and Sussex as well as three counties in Wales and hoping to expand further.

The queen I was ruling from at last post has died with no more acquisitions under her rule, her son took the counties in Wales and his son expanded to the South into the Duchy of Wessex. My current ruler the Great or just Grandson (Lost Track) of my previous Queen post now rules and already
imprisoned several of the leading vassals of the Kingdom for treason! The family rule is secure for the moment and heading toward reaching the 80% required to proclaim the Empire of Britannia.

My current rulers plan is to push as far south as possible, gaining counties one at a time after each peace before moving north into Scotland and finishing off Ireland.

Again map made in 5 minutes as I am still unable to find screen shot folder :/

Purple = Kingdom of England
Blue = Scotland
Dark Green = Wessex
Light Green = Connaught
Other colors = independent nations

Random Game Note: France is a small 6 county Kingdom that is culturally German and centered around Paris. Meanwhile the HRE is culturally French and centered in Cologne or there abouts.
Byzantium has religiously switched to Iconoclast and has taken most of the area around the Black Sea and the Southern tip of Italy.
Italy is in a war against the HRE.

CKII.1.png

Last edited:
What mod is that, out of curiosity?

I say stick with one. Kingdoms incorporate into your empire that way.

Vanilla - I'm using the customization pack, and changed "Britannia" to something a bit more suitable as an Ireland-based Empire.

I used "Goidelic" to emphasize my then combination of Scottish and Irish lords as the dominant in my Empire. Nowadays it's all Irish all the time, for the most part, at least in the British isles.

In the end, I decided to go with it and make the second Empire, because mostly I want to see what happens when I convert to Europa Universalis IV. I'm gonna have to consolidate fast, though. Mongols and Aztecs can't be far off.

Playing as the Dhummanids. The year is 1080. I control the Emirates of Valencia, Toledo, and Cordoba. My objective is to build up as strongly as I can to resist the inevitable Christian onslaught from the north and eventually reunite al-Andalus. It looks like that day is not too far into the future now. Thankfully, Castille and Leon are bickering with each other at the moment.

Update: Leon is now working its way through Aftasid lands via a "Holy War". Meanwhile, I've secured an alliance with the Emir of the Abbabids, which should do all of Andalusia well in the long run.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Playing as the Dhummanids. The year is 1080.
The year is now 1095. Castille has consolidated its control over most of the Christian north. Navarra overextended itself by taking Granada, at which point I took their share of Aragon, reducing it to what you see here. The Almoravids have made their moves into Iberia, stealing Granada from Navarra. Genoa briefly held Almeria, but the Abbabids have taken it for themselves.

Untitled.png

So, I went on a spree of renaming all the major non-Muslim and non-Mongol nations in their native languages (or, rather, the native languages of their rulers) using the console and customization pack, but otherwise this is the same vanilla game I was playing before, on the succession of my new ruler. At this point, Poland is the only independent Catholic power outside the Empire. I might try to rectify that after our alliance lapses.

I'll be ready when those Aztecs come.

EDIT: Image is acting weird, now, for some reason.

Last edited:
Impireacht_Romhanach_1237.png

So, I went on a spree of renaming all the major non-Muslim and non-Mongol nations in their native languages (or, rather, the native languages of their rulers) using the console and customization pack, but otherwise this is the same vanilla game I was playing before, on the succession of my new ruler. At this point, Poland is the only independent Catholic power outside the Empire. I might try to rectify that after our alliance lapses.

I'll be ready when those Aztecs come.

Can we see the results? It seems interesting to say the least.

Sulemain

Banned
Can anyone tell me what the difference between Miaphysites, Monothelites and Othordox is? And Catholics too? Not sure which to convert to.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between Miaphysites, Monothelites and Othordox is? And Catholics too? Not sure which to convert to.

You mean in-game or in real life?

Speaking seriously now; Miaphysitism, Orthodox, and Catholicism are part of the Christian religious group. This means that they view each other as being different religions, but without the 'infidel penalty.' This means that under certain circumstances, they will accept marriages, invitations, and the different religion penalty is fairly small. This is in contrast to the infidel penalty with Pagan and Muslim rulers; with them; all marriages and invitations get an automatic impossible malus, and there is a very harsh infidel penalty (-50 IIRC) to opinion.

Monothelitism is a little different; Monothelitism is, IIRC, an Orthodox heresy (might be Miaphysite, I'm not entirely certain). This means they get a 'heretic penalty' to opinion; which means that if you are in the Christian religious group, you get a -50 opinion penalty. However, heretics do not have an automatic malus to invitations and marriages, IIRC.

Catholics all have the same religious leader, the Pope. Catholic bishops have a choice between paying tax to the Pope or paying tax to you; determined by your relative opinions. The Pope can call crusades as well. Catholics also have an option of setting up there own anti-Pope, who becomes the new religious leader for that character and his vassals. This greatly annoys the Pope. Catholicism is the dominant religion in Western Europe and the Western Mediterranean.

Orthodox players mostly have the same religious leader (the Ecumenical Patriarch), however, the Orthodox Christian religion has a unique feature; in the form of autocephalous patriarchs. This means that players in certain regions may have a different religious leader than the Ecumenical Patriarch. The most obvious example is Russia, which has an autocephalous patriarch of Russia. This means that while the Ecumenical patriarch is religious leader for nobles in the Byzantine Empire, his jurisdiction does not apply to the Russian nobles, who have a different religious leader. This means Russians cannot have Byzantine nobles excommunicated, and vice versa. The bishops of the four great bishoprics of the Orthodox Church, Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem, and Rome, however, each have their own catchment areas within the ordinary catchment area of the Ecumenical Patriarch (the Byzantine Empire). Autocephalous patriarchs can only exist at the Kingdom level and above (which roughly delineates their catchment areas), and IIRC, only in independent states. I'm not certain about the last bit actually. It may be clearer to those who've spent a lot of time playing after re-unifying the Church, and thus can see the effects of having all five Great Bishoprics and a number of autocephalous patriarchs in Western Europe (as is wont to happen). An interesting effect of playing as Orthodox is that all the religious leaders are almost always somebody's vassal. This makes them a bit more inclined to act in a specific ruler's interests.

Miaphysites all have the same religious leader, the Miaphysite Pope. Same for Monothelites, except with a Monothelite Pope.

Orthodox, Miaphysites, and Monothelites cannot declare Crusades.

All religious leaders have powers of excommunication, and members of all four religions have powers of holy war against infidels and heretics (Monothelites have powers of holy war against their parent religions as well).

The Catholic heresies are a bit buggy, since they don't have religious leaders, and new bishop appointments are typically Catholic by default. I don't think you're meant to play as them. There are numerous Orthodox heresies, such as Iconoclast, Nestorian, Monophysites (which I think is actually a Miaphysite heresy), and Bogomilists, but they are much more playable. Most have their own independent religious leader.

Last edited:

Sulemain

Banned
You mean in-game or in real life?

Speaking seriously now; Miaphysitism, Orthodox, and Catholicism are part of the Christian religious group. This means that they view each other as being different religions, but without the 'infidel penalty.' This means that under certain circumstances, they will accept marriages, invitations, and the different religion penalty is fairly small. This is in contrast to the infidel penalty with Pagan and Muslim rulers; with them; all marriages and invitations get an automatic impossible malus, and there is a very harsh infidel penalty (-50 IIRC) to opinion.

Monothelitism is a little different; Monothelitism is, IIRC, an Orthodox heresy (might be Miaphysite, I'm not entirely certain). This means they get a 'heretic penalty' to opinion; which means that if you are in the Christian religious group, you get a -50 opinion penalty. However, heretics do not have an automatic malus to invitations and marriages, IIRC.

I meant in real life :) Thought this might be the best place to ask :) I know with regard to game mechanics; Monothelism is a Miaphysite heresy, the only one I think. I was curious as to what the difference is.

Ask someone like Archangel Michael, who studied Religion in university.

Also, there are little descriptions in-game, but they are quite brief.

ETA: Be certain to refer to Catholicism, Orthodox, and Anglicanism as branches of the 'Greater Catholic Church,' where the Catholic church has its headquarters in Rome, Orthodox in Constantinople, and Anglicanism in London. His reaction will be priceless.

Sulemain

Banned
Ask someone like Archangel Michael, who studied Religion in university.

Also, there are little descriptions in-game, but they are quite brief.

ETA: Be certain to refer to Catholicism, Orthodox, and Anglicanism as branches of the 'Greater Catholic Church,' where the Catholic church has its headquarters in Rome, Orthodox in Constantinople, and Anglicanism in London. His reaction will be priceless.

I will PM him, thank you for the advice :) . Umm, I'm an atheist, so things like Miaphysites/Monothelite/etc is all rather a blur to me.

The in game descriptions are rather lacking. Could do with an encyclopaedia, like TW.

Catholics all have the same religious leader, the Pope. Catholic bishops have a choice between paying tax to the Pope or paying tax to you; determined by your relative opinions. The Pope can call crusades as well. Catholics also have an option of setting up there own anti-Pope, who becomes the new religious leader for that character and his vassals. This greatly annoys the Pope. Catholicism is the dominant religion in Western Europe and the Western Mediterranean.

If you're an Emperor, setting up an anti-Pope early, assigning him some meaningless county or somesuch, and then replacing the Pope with him is a very good idea, since the Pope is ridiculously rich and you will get a decent cut of his income.

Orthodox players mostly have the same religious leader (the Ecumenical Patriarch), however, the Orthodox Christian religion has a unique feature; in the form of autocephalous patriarchs. This means that players in certain regions may have a different religious leader than the Ecumenical Patriarch. The most obvious example is Russia, which has an autocephalous patriarch of Russia. This means that while the Ecumenical patriarch is religious leader for nobles in the Byzantine Empire, his jurisdiction does not apply to the Russian nobles, who have a different religious leader. This means Russians cannot have Byzantine nobles excommunicated, and vice versa. The bishops of the four great bishoprics of the Orthodox Church, Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem, and Rome, however, each have their own catchment areas within the ordinary catchment area of the Ecumenical Patriarch (the Byzantine Empire). Autocephalous patriarchs can only exist at the Kingdom level and above (which roughly delineates their catchment areas), and IIRC, only in independent states. I'm not certain about the last bit actually. It may be clearer to those who've spent a lot of time playing after re-unifying the Church, and thus can see the effects of having all five Great Bishoprics and a number of autocephalous patriarchs in Western Europe (as is wont to happen). An interesting effect of playing as Orthodox is that all the religious leaders are almost always somebody's vassal. This makes them a bit more inclined to act in a specific ruler's interests.

All kingdoms, independent or not, can have autocephalous patriarchs. Most areas are outside of the "catchment" of the five Patriarchs, although Rome has a very broad "catchment" (most of the region which is Catholic in 867 will follow Rome's directives if the Great Schism is ended). Kingdoms within the "catchment" of a Patriarch will not have an autocephalous Patriarch, at least if not played by the player (I don't know if there is any player control over their appointment, as I have not played a non-Byzantine Orthodox country).

Miaphysites all have the same religious leader, the Miaphysite Pope. Same for Monothelites, except with a Monothelite Pope.

Also, the Nestorians have the Patriarch of the East, in Antioch. As an Orthodox heresy, they otherwise function largely as the Orthodox churches in terms of autocephalous patriarchs etc., with the exception that, like Miaphytism/Monophytism, they cannot end the Great Schism (except of course by wiping out Catholicism and Orthodoxy). The Monothelites are also an Orthodox heresy; perhaps you mean the Monophysites (which are a Miaphysite heresy)?

Sulemain

Banned
Monophysites, Monothelites, there's a difference?!

I did a reunited Christendom/Byzantium to Rome game. Beat the Capets by 1066. That was easy. Elective monarchy, large dynasty, good education means winning.

Like I said Z, I was interested in the RL distinctions, although I will keep what you have posted in mind :) .

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
How do I get a CB on the Papacy?! Hell, how do you get CBs outside of the De jure Byzantine Empire other than Holy War?

Currently in my Byzantine game Alexios I is making plans to launch the reconquest of North Africa(or at least Fatimid North Africa; Tunisia(minus my bits) east to Egypt). It's called The Great Fatimid Investment.

I'm guessing that you have to border a heathen in order to not get the Truce penalty? If so, awesome! It's also a tad bit OP, with the only thing stopping me is lack of manpower.

I'm guessing that the reason why I can't take most of Egypt outside of the coastal duchies is because I have to have access to them either via land or sea?

Also the Fatimids are also at war with a super Abyssinia that is close to forming it's empire, all it needs is Nubia, which is why they are at war.

I also tried killing off the Seljuk Family, assuming that if their dead the Seljuk empire would collapse, am I right? I was aided in this by their spymaster, who added around 230-290% to my plot power. Awesome!

I was killing Seljuk children left, right, and center:D! Then he must have been found out:mad::(.