Crisis in the Kremlin - Our 1988 USSR

I am just throwing this out there as a what if scenario.

But it would be cool if we could find a way to fund building a tunnel under the Bering Strait linking the country with the U.S by road and rail.

I am just throwing this out there as a what if scenario.

But it would be cool if we could find a way to fund building a tunnel under the Bering Strait linking the country with the U.S by road and rail.
While a USSR as rich as a USA might be able to build it, I think we're not there yet. Though in this decade and its focus on the environment, having a rail line vs the crude oil ships could be a reason to prefer it over shipping by boat.

At the same time, begin a campaign of encouraging women towards less "sex-appealing" more positive roles, like scientist, doctor, and other important positions.
Give a word to a person living in the former USSR:
5e3adb652aecd6820d0e92e5.jpg
1521762288189972410.jpg

If you look at Soviet media, you will see that in general, women in society choose “meaningful professions” - from milkmaids and builders to research assistants. It was far from perfect - from some pay gaps to the traditional gender imbalance (in mathematics, women are a minority, while the Faculty of Philology of Moscow State University is known as the “Faculty of Brides”). In general, this is how the Danish cartoonist Herluf Bidstrup characterized the image of the Soviet woman:
91332_600.jpg

But with “sexy professions” there is already a problem - the most that was available from this point of view were athletes (figure skaters and gymnasts), ballet actresses, and flight attendants (from the second half of the sixties), sometimes actresses, and of course a artist's model (there was a nude model in Soviet art). Although fashion and modeling existed, it was considered something foreign to the noble body of the Soviet Union. This area was treated with official disdain, neither prohibiting nor supporting - “A girl is a fashion model? A disgrace to the family! A fashion designer? Okay, but there are many other, higher callings. Why not become a geologist? A manicurist? Well, at least don’t say that in front of my grandmother! Lie that you are writing a dissertation on the topic “Reflection of pinnipeds.”
Actually, on this basis, during the era of Perestroika, there was a wild interest in the modeling business, since the end of the eighties and the beginning of the nineties was the period of the boom of Top Models (and actually when models began to occupy the same niche as actresses). The trouble with the late USSR was that a consumer society had developed, but the Party and the Government could neither fill the public basket nor raise the prestige of Soviet brands.

PS - IMHO about beauty contests. Still, it will be better if such events are under the control of Soviet organizations. In addition, it is worth studying the experience of Italian comrades (Miss Vie Nuove, Stellina dell’Unità), as well as the experience of Yugoslavia.

Last edited:
I want to put forward a detailed plan on how we can get Greece out of NATO.

First, of course we need to keep PASOK in power, and that means financial help. But sometimes, it even means pressuring KKE to work with PASOK.

Secondly, we must work hard to remove the influence of Costas Simitis and his supporters within PASOK. These people who want to reform PASOK into a Western-style Social Democratic Party are obstacles to our efforts to make Greece a non-aligned country.

Finally, we should use issues such as Cyprus to increase the conflict between Greece and NATO, and ultimately prompt Greece to withdraw from NATO.

I want to put forward a detailed plan on how we can get Greece out of NATO.

First, of course we need to keep PASOK in power, and that means financial help. But sometimes, it even means pressuring KKE to work with PASOK.

Secondly, we must work hard to remove the influence of Costas Simitis and his supporters within PASOK. These people who want to reform PASOK into a Western-style Social Democratic Party are obstacles to our efforts to make Greece a non-aligned country.

Finally, we should use issues such as Cyprus to increase the conflict between Greece and NATO, and ultimately prompt Greece to withdraw from NATO.

Honestly that makes sense abd those really go hand in hand with one another, if there's a crisis in Cyprus Costas Simitis will generally lose popular support and Papandreou PASOK faction/KKE can simply ride national frustration with NATOs inaction to leave it .

Honestly that makes sense abd those really go hand in hand with one another, if there's a crisis in Cyprus Costas Simitis will generally lose popular support and Papandreou PASOK faction/KKE can simply ride national frustration with NATOs inaction to leave it .
And USSR can immediately offer a non-agression pact to Greece if or when it leaves NATO to silence at least part of people worried about national security. After all a neutral Greece is not a problem for the Soviet Union. Pro-Western Turkiye which controls straits leading to and from the Black Sea very much is. Not to mention US in Turkiye bases very close to the USSR territory.

Also, a question for you guys. So far we've been viewing this from a macro scale, months pass by with each update and our actions tend to be very heavyhanded and wide. There's obviously no problem with this (as far as i'm aware) but i had an idea which i wanted to gather opinion on before i put into the TL.

In the coming decades, the USSR will most likely face multiple crisises which have resounding consequences. These crisises therefore should be dealt with according to your vote, however due to their delicate nature we can't address them on the same macro scale we've used so far. To solve this, i've come up with the idea of "Crisis votes". These updates will be far and few between, and will cover mere days or even hours, giving you the opportunity to choose exactly how to respond to delicate situations. Of course this means that i will dedicate multiple updates to a single event, although their frequency will probably increase. So i want to hear your thoughts, should i use Crisis votes or should i approach this differently? As always any other ideas would be great : )

Also, a question for you guys. So far we've been viewing this from a macro scale, months pass by with each update and our actions tend to be very heavyhanded and wide. There's obviously no problem with this (as far as i'm aware) but i had an idea which i wanted to gather opinion on before i put into the TL.

In the coming decades, the USSR will most likely face multiple crisises which have resounding consequences. These crisises therefore should be dealt with according to your vote, however due to their delicate nature we can't address them on the same macro scale we've used so far. To solve this, i've come up with the idea of "Crisis votes". These updates will be far and few between, and will cover mere days or even hours, giving you the opportunity to choose exactly how to respond to delicate situations. Of course this means that i will dedicate multiple updates to a single event, although their frequency will probably increase. So i want to hear your thoughts, should i use Crisis votes or should i approach this differently? As always any other ideas would be great : )
I do think that some crisis should deserve a separate vote.

Ah no don't worry about that lol, honestly i feel really bad about the pacing of these updates, i'm hoping to cut down on the wait time by a load after the end of exams.

GDP Ranking (1989)
1. United States - $5,850,600M
2. USSR - $3,190,500M
3. Japan - $3,130,068M
4. West Germany - $1,360,393M
5. France - $1,040,179M
6. United Kingdom - $1,020,476M
7. Italy - $950,283
8. Canada - $570,225M
9. China - $495,140M
10. Brazil - $445,434M
11. Spain - $414,000M
12. India - $395,000M
13. Iran - $390,000M
14. Australia - $310,362M
15. Netherlands - $260,532M

Last edited:
GDP Ranking (1989):

1. United States - $5,850,600M
2. USSR - $3,190,500M
3. Japan - $3,130,068M
4. West Germany - $1,360,393M
5. France - $1,040,179M
6. United Kingdom - $1,020,476M
7. Italy - $950,283
8. Canada - $570,225M
9. China - $495,140M
10. Brazil - $445,434M
11. Spain - $414,000M
12. India - $395,000M
13. Iran - $390,000M
14. Australia - $310,362M
15. Netherlands - $260,532M
YEAH! LETS GO! First place here we come.