Crisis in the Kremlin - Our 1988 USSR

Before anything else, I must say that is a fucking glorious mustache on that man in the picture between Gorby and Schultz.

1. With Soviet presence in Afghanistan becoming increasingly untenable, What decision should the USSR make on a potential Afghan withdrawal?

Gradual withdrawal while still retaining capabilities to support Afghan operations as needed. Some targeted missions to eliminate who we can would be advisable, but our ultimate goal should be to get out while we still can. If possible, we should consider looking to pressure the Afghan government to start working with the more "tolerable" Afghan leaders so that we don't have need to go back in 20 years...

2. How should the USSR react to the Black Sea Bumping Incident?

I support @ruffino on this matter

3. How should General Secretary Romanov respond to Reagan’s invitation?

He should accept, international good will is cheaply bought and worth its weight in gold. If possible it should serve as part of a larger trade mission to the US to enhance our actions under topic 5.

4. How should the government, if at all, respond to Andreeva’s essay?

Allowing it to be discussed is one thing, allowing her to jeopardize the fragile relations with the groups affected by Stalin's excesses is another. We can not be seen to be backing down on our reforms, nor can we be seen to be now reversing position on Stalin. I would advocate for a public perception of ignoring her criticisms but to put a very good team of KGB agents on her to keep an eye for anything that may be of use for dealing with her if she continues on her path and goes too far.

5. With the USSR market finally opening partially to foreign companies, how should the USSR regulate these companies? Which sectors require the most investment and how will the USSR attract them?

For the regulation of companies, we should make it clear to these foreign companies of two requirements. The first, rather straight forward is that these will be branches of their corporations incorporating in the Soviet Union and required to abide by Soviet law, and not the wild and open environment they already know. While this may seem nearly redundant, it is important that they have no doubts about where we stand. The second requirement will be that any branch that incorporates within the Soviet Union must have at least three Soviet Citizens operating on its board overseeing operations and management of the corporation branch. There will doubtless be some concerns over this, but if they wish to operate in the Soviet Union and hire Soviet workers, then they will have to deal with the Soviet Workers being represented at all levels. That it would also more easily facilitate corporate espionage is a helpful bonus.

As for which sectors should be prioritized, equal attention should be paid towards the areas which we are dependent on (half of our US imports are agricultural goods, enticing US agri-sector corporations could allow us to produce domestically and tip the trade balance further in our favour) and the other attention should be paid to the high-tech sector to allow our continued efforts to prepare the Union for the march into the 21st century. It would also be advisable to allow a select number of consumer industries to enter into the Soviet Economy, allow our people some variety to spend their money on other than Mokba's and Vodka.
i second this plan (no matter how mutch i do not agree with the market opaning) i also saport the amendum to bring comrad gorbachov along

Hey @Altlov I have a suggestion if you don't mind I believe in this continuation of the game it's better to have a voting system like in sb and sv, where you vote by plan for example:

[X] Plan Use the Money
-[x] option a
-[x] option d

Then people can just vote by posting the Plan. It's easier to count as a GM in my opinion.
[X] Plan Use the Money.
Thanks for the feedback! We used a similar system of voting at the beginning of the last TL, but we switched to the current more open one as people more versed in the topics were able to give far more detailed and in-depth responses then me or @panpiotr could. I might outline potential options if an event is particularly niche, but i feel the current system works just fine for the most part.

Should there be any need for maps:

remember that
300px-I_Serve_the_Soviet_Union.jpg
Of course Comrade! The party thanks you for your service, however at this time no significant changes have occured to warrant a new map : )

Um what happen to that other union state incident that was in the last thread and the Romanian one too
The riots in Estonia were suppressed as per our policy. The new historical narrative around union republics and our "positive nationalism" policy have not been in place long enough to warrant an in-depth exploration. If you're wondering about the state of Baltic nationalism then don't worry, it is definitely not over and more is to come : )

For the regulation of companies, we should make it clear to these foreign companies of two requirements. The first, rather straight forward is that these will be branches of their corporations incorporating in the Soviet Union and required to abide by Soviet law, and not the wild and open environment they already know.

Honestly this is already a practice around the world, companies do operate in lands based on those lands laws not mentioning any serious concessions/exemptions.

The second requirement will be that any branch that incorporates within the Soviet Union must have at least three Soviet Citizens operating on its board overseeing operations and management of the corporation branch. There will doubtless be some concerns over this, but if they wish to operate in the Soviet Union and hire Soviet workers, then they will have to deal with the Soviet Workers being represented at all levels. That it would also more easily facilitate corporate espionage is a helpful bonus.

And you will enforce this how? You didn't have this type of condition not even in China, let alone USAs mortal enemy USSR. Most of Companies will straight up refuse to change structure of their leadership and to allow USSR to influence their operations from inside. Remember we want to attract these companies and get them to set up business in USSR, not spook them out. I don't really think that Regan will lift tech sanctions this way because we are effectively saying that we will allow private Companies to operate in USSR and then we are saying that they should appoint our people in their leadership so we can micromanage them and put them partially under state control, operating in USSR and following Soviet laws is one thing, but this is completely another thing ...

Right answer from these companies will be that they'll refuse and will set up a business in COMECON country gaining access to our market anyway.

Protection and representation for Soviet Workers are Soviet laws and Soviet state like in any other country.

Last edited:
Honestly this is already a practice around the world, companies do operate in lands based on those lands laws not mentioning any serious concessions/exemptions.

And you will enforce this how? You didn't have this type of condition not even in China, let alone USAs mortal enemy USSR. Most of Companies will straight up refuse to change structure of their leadership and to allow USSR to influence their operations from inside. Remember we want to attract these companies and get them to set up business in USSR, not spook them out. I don't really think that Regan will lift tech sanctions this way because we are effectively saying that we will allow private Companies to operate in USSR and then we are saying that they should appoint our people in their leadership so we can micromanage them and put them partially under state control, operating in USSR and following Soviet laws is one thing, but this is completely another thing ...

Right answer from these companies will be that they'll refuse and will set up a business in COMECON country gaining access to our market anyway.

Protection and representation for Soviet Workers are Soviet laws and Soviet state like in any other country.
or impose a similer policy in comcon so the companys volentarily go away lol

First of all my thanks to @Altlov for deciding to continue the thread.

Secondly, these would be my proposals.

1 - Continue the gradual withdrawal from Afghanistan, but still, doing some small-scale operations (eliminate Taliban leaders, intelligence gathering...) and offering support to Afghan operations

2 - Firstly, congratulate the sailors for their defense of the Soviet coasts, secondly, increase patrols, and thirdly, inform the United States that new provocations would not be tolerated, and that if they continue to occur, it could affect the relations between both powers.

3 - By attending, it will improve relations, likewise, it can be used to reach some commercial agreements with companies outside the government.

4 - Allowing it to be discussed can serve to probe the feelings of the population, whether the majority is in favor, against or indifferent to its content, and act accordingly.

5 - Firstly, I believe that they should be located in port areas, creating free zones in some coastal cities to allow the establishment of these industries; Special regulations may be established, but maintaining the legislation on important issues.
Secondly, in terms of companies to establish, I would opt for 3 (petrochemicals, consumer goods, technological goods)

- Petrochemical: Given that the USSR and some COMECON nations are oil producers, allowing the establishment of some foreign companies would allow training Soviet workers to develop their own industry in the future.

- Consumer goods: certain consumer goods (soft drinks, clothing, canned food) there are certain Western products that are desired and grant a certain level of status. Starting to produce them on the one hand will avoid the loss of currency and deal a severe blow to the black market.

- Technological goods: not only in relation to communications or computers, but also more traditional technologies (such as radio), allowing the entry of technological companies will avoid having to buy production rights, while allowing copying, studying and starting the production of its own line (similar to what China did)
support all of these proposals

And you will enforce this how? You didn't have this type of condition not even in China, let alone USAs mortal enemy USSR.
Except of course that they did under the original laws on joint ventures brought in by Gorbachev.

Laws that the foreign companies complained about and were reformed, which, y'know, I have enough faith and confidence in Altlov to note and game out in a way that allows for more content to keep going. I'm trying to provide options that would be in line with the thinking at the time, and in some cases where the thinking wouldn't work so as to allow for more things to happen. If I wanted this to go perfectly smoothly with no notes, I'd just go crack open some books on Dengism and start copy pasting.

Except of course that they did under the original laws on joint ventures brought in by Gorbachev.

Laws that the foreign companies complained about and were reformed, which, y'know, I have enough faith and confidence in Altlov to note and game out in a way that allows for more content to keep going. I'm trying to provide options that would be in line with the thinking at the time, and in some cases where the thinking wouldn't work so as to allow for more things to happen. If I wanted this to go perfectly smoothly with no notes, I'd just go crack open some books on Dengism and start copy pasting.

Well besides the fact that Gorbachev was different type of leader that made lot of the concessions to the west (and wasn't really mortal enemy of the West) that doesn't change the fact that Companies wanted those laws reformed as you yourself said. Maybe it's a difference in perspective but in my opinion why make unnecessary complication where there doesn't need to be one as we would be repeating one and the same question. Instead of going in to the blind allies we can simply stick to the road and go straight to the goal. Other difference between Gorbachev and Romanov is that he has enough political capital to push these reforms through opposed to Gorbachev who needed to make concessions.

Generally when taking notes we should compare results and apply things that do work to our system. For example while our agricultural reforms were based on Chinese model we added Vietnamese model there as well and decided to preserve the cooperatives (albeit with private ownership), while subsidizing the field as otl USSR under Gorbachev did.

Regarding China in general, it's quite unlikely that we will follow similar path as Soviet conditions are inherently different given that USSR is much more developed country and is on completely different terms with the West geopolitically. At best Western companies can diversify our consumer goods but due to the nature of Soviet system its unlikely that USSR will be as China was at the time as USSR already has its own Companies and domestic manufacturing, main goal of USSR isn't to attract forgein Companies and to become manufacturing hub as much as to modernize its own economy and make it more competitive, thus the need for import of Western technologies.

Last edited:
1. USSR should withdraw groundforces but leave spetsnaz and airforce to support the communist government. One thing people here should realize, the communist government and the mujahideen can never make peace. This was attempted irl and it failed because the PDPA was viewed as a puppet of a foreign power.

2. Complain in UN about USA's aggression and causing provokations in the black sea.

3. Accept the invitation but do talk about the aggresion in the black sea caused by US navy.

4. Support it. If the liberals get power, there is no reason for the union to exist. We must fight against revisionists at all costs, comrades!

5. Allow foreign companies to setup local subsidiaries. There must be a party official within the board of directors for these subsidiaries and they must have a union representing the workers. Key industries must be owned fully by the state and we should only allow private enterprises for consumer goods or sectors that the state has neglected. We must have deals to get the IP and know-how to manufacture these products ourselves within 5-10 years of the private companies setting up.

1.Don't Change the schedule however he should support our ally with millitary equipment, economic help and the formation of their forces but without our troops here
2.Protest to the UN
3.Agree to the visit
5.Support panpiotr's proposal

1. Withdraw on schedule as per the Helsinki Accord.
Altering this would be a diplomatic and strategic disaster for little gain since withdrawal is also our own objective.
Covert operations can continue. The Accord does not (presumably) prohibit the VVS from flying out of airbases within the USSR.
We will of course still provide the legitmate government of Afghanistan with economic and military assistance. If advisors are also to be withdrawn then training, particularly for officers, special forces and air/groundcrew can still be provided from centres inside our borders.

2. Reiterate, calmly but firmly, our legal right to require foreign vessels keep to recognised sealanes. Release photos to TASS showing the size disparity between the American cruiser and our borderpatrol ship to make clear who the aggressor is here.

3. Agree to the New York Summit.
Suggest to Mr Reagan a trade fair for American companies to dazzle Gosplan. Foreign Enterprise Licenses are limited so let them compete in the spirit of capitalism to win over the customer. (I'm in two minds about this as it could be an enormous propaganda coup that empowers their hardliners but wanted to throw the idea to the floor).

4. No official response, it's just another patriotic Soviet enjoying the new climate of forthright debate. (Keep tabs on how the essay is received and impacts support for the New Left, particularly if any highly-placed officials express sympathy. Andreeva could make a for a useful stalking horse but her views on certain brother nations might become a problem if she gain prominience in this age of Positive Nationalism and Soviet Multi-culturalism).

Possible Trade Fair to explore and drum up interest?

Two main areas of desired investment:
1) Services providing skills, training, and consultancy initially focusing on IT, Administration & Management.
We already have domestic and import sources for the technology, this new economic link can get us the human processes to best use it and eventually use those lessons to surpass the US. Not all of it will be suitable for the Soviet experience and they must understand that but there is much we can adopt or adapt to increase efficiency.

2)Consumer goods
Our situation has improved considerably since Brezhnev, but if the Americans can prime the pump for further improvements then they are welcome to.

I urge extreme caution about allowing US companies to directly supply and sell luxury goods to the people. It would be lucrative for the Americans but also gives unacceptable cultural leverage and opportunity for corruption. Better to have such things that are imported or now produced locally by foreign firms be distributed through the usual channels (which at least now have better computer records for the KGB investigate as needed). Firms locally producing luxury and consumer goods under a new Soviet brandname that reverts to State ownership if the firm pulls out would perhaps be more politically acceptable.

Aside from restricting operations to designated zones, approving a controlled number of licenses, unionised workers and survelliance by the security services I defer to others more knowledgeable on how best to manage this intrusion into our economy.

Romania:
If I may suggest, we should have the KGB start investigating potential replacements to Ceausescu and any potential wheels to grease. He was already an insubordinate fool but the recent unrest exposed his weakened grip. There might not be anything to work with but an internal resolution is vastly preferable to a repeat of 1956 and 1968, which would greatly damage fraternal relations with the rest of the Warsaw Pact.

Honestly a great range of proposals here and a lot to choose from. I'd be happy with pretty much all options from various users as they all seem to be in the same vein. The only thing I would additionally recommend (for 1) is we keep the government in Afghanistan well stocked with ammunition and encourage diplomacy where we can.

1. With Soviet presence in Afghanistan becoming increasingly untenable, What decision should the USSR make on a potential Afghan withdrawal?
No withdrawal. Our crusade against global imperialism and reactionary Taliban Islamism shall continue to the bitter end.

2. How should the USSR react to the Black Sea Bumping Incident?
Complain in the UN

3. How should General Secretary Romanov respond to Reagan’s invitation?
Tell Reagan to go back home. No negotiations with Soft Fascist Americans. Close the Soviet communications with America for 6 hours as a sign of protest.

4. How should the government, if at all, respond to Andreeva’s essay?
No comments, no response

5. With the USSR market finally opening partially to foreign companies, how should the USSR regulate these companies? Which sectors require the most investment and how will the USSR attract them?
Load them with extremely strict regulations thus ensuing that not more than a handful companies manage to get through. Return to the glorious days of the late 1930s
We should attract investors in manufacturing and fuel sectors.

Though the news was greeted by a deep sense of sorrow and bitter disappointment in Tehran, in Baghdad people were jubilant, with accounts of dancing in the streets and spontaneous festivals occurring to celebrate the end of the near decade of slaughter, the Iran-Iraq war was infamous for it's extensive targeting of civilian population centres and use of chemical weapons, the fear of an Iraqi mass chemical attack on Tehran was a major cause of the war's inconclusive end. Ending with no territorial changes between the two powers nor any other concessions, the Iran-Iraq war up to two million people died in the war in brutal conditions, often likened to the western front World War One. Iraq was quick to claim the ceasefire as a 'victory' for Ba'athism and Iraq, drawing parallels with the ancient Battle of al-Qādisiyyah, where the Arab Rashidun Caliphate achieved a crushing victory over the Persian Sassanid Empire. The following year the The Sword of Qādisiyyah, also known as the Victory Arch, was constructed to celebrate Iraq's 'victory' in the Iran-Iraq war, featuring two swords modelled after those used by the Arab general at the Battle of Qādisiyyah in 636 CE.
Now that the war ended, in my opinion we should start working on bringing Iran on our side. Setting ideological differences aside, having Iran with its vast natural resources, especially oil, would be a big geopolitical victory for us. So I formally propose, that either Romanov or Gorbachev should go to Tehran and propose economic and industrial cooperation cooperation and investments between USSR and Iran.