Chiang Kai-Shek goes to Germany: An Axis China Timeline

The Sino-German alliance was a distinct possibility even without a friendship between Chiang and Hilter.

Look forward to where this is going. We could very well see an allied Imperial Japan. :p

Hendryk

Banned
The Sino-German alliance was a distinct possibility even without a friendship between Chiang and Hilter.
Indeed. To have Jiang and Hitler actually be friends seems sort of overkill. It would be just as easy to keep the Sino-German alliance of OTL going. I could suggest doing it by allowing a single man not to die of smallpox in 1929. Look up Max Bauer.

If Bauer gets to live, he could pull enough strings on behalf of Jiang's regime that by 1937 Germany is too close to China to jump ship in favor of Japan.

I can see it now... Beijing gets firebombed by Allied B-29...
Japan might act like a analogue to Britain: Has a decent air force, good navy, invasion of Home islands is unbelievably costly, etc.

Btw, one problem I see is how Hitler's racial views develop. He considered the Japanese to by non-Aryans in OTL, and I would assume he did the same for the Chinese. Does he make an exception for the Chinese in this TL, or will this be a non-racist version of Hitler?

Wasn't the Kuomitang influenced and supported by the Soviets by this time? Borodin, Vasily Blyukher had a much larger presence then the germans did.

Thank you all very much for your kind comments and your well spotted typos!

Indeed. To have Jiang and Hitler actually be friends seems sort of overkill. It would be just as easy to keep the Sino-German alliance of OTL going. I could suggest doing it by allowing a single man not to die of smallpox in 1929. Look up Max Bauer.

If Bauer gets to live, he could pull enough strings on behalf of Jiang's regime that by 1937 Germany is too close to China to jump ship in favor of Japan.

Nah I don't think so - the Sino-German alliance of OTL will keep going as long as it looks like China has a chance - the same Chiang will lead to the same outcome - Max Bauer or no Max Bauer.

Having an Axis China TL where Chiang's personality is still essentially the same will be an Axis China which is essentially millstone around Germany's neck.

As for the fate of Japan - I'm at odds about what to do - part of me thinks that Japan will stilll launch a Pacific war for control of the 'Souther Resource Area" - free from the distraction of a China front Japan may well do better than OTL.

As for the fate of Japan - I'm at odds about what to do - part of me thinks that Japan will stilll launch a Pacific war for control of the 'Souther Resource Area" - free from the distraction of a China front Japan may well do better than OTL.

But then wouldn't Japan be attacking some of China's primary targets? For instance, French Indochina or Burma.

I'm imagining a USSR fighting on two fronts in WWII, especially with a personal relationship between Chiang Kai-Shek and Hitler. But one thing I do wonder; the Hitler that Chiang knew in the trenches would not necessarily be the same Hitler that became Fuhrer of Germany. His anti-semetism and general insanity was fuelled by the loss of the war. How would Chiang react when he realises that Hitler has gone insane?

Great timeline so far :D. I'm definately watching this one.

Paul MacQ

Monthly Donor
Having an Axis China TL where Chiang's personality is still essentially the same will be an Axis China which is essentially millstone around Germany's neck.

Well I would leave room for possibilities here.

There was some cooling in support for Chaing in the mid Thirties before the Fighting with Japan started,

No with closer Ties and the need for Germany to have secret Weapons sight. Maybe China ( a very long way a way ) and a few more earlier German Trained Divisions Bagging more Communists ( ie like Mao ) you probably get a better performing China that might push Japan enough to realize it cannot fight China and The Western powers at the same time.

Having an Axis China TL where Chiang's personality is still essentially the same

Well probably not having the same personality. Wars have a way of effecting personalities, with the experiences in them

1.He fought for a Nation he came to respect and found it on the losing side

2.He saw and fought with an army so unlike the Corrupt beast he had at home, And would have a massive appreciation now of how important it is to get that sort of Discipline and Professionalism.

3.A man that has seen that Low Ranking initiative can make the difference again and again.

4.Also how important the Senior NCO's are to an Army and their need for education

This is a man who would come to despise the warlord system passionately and unlikely to be using it as a tool of getting to power by keeping the warlords divided, More likely would be looking for a way to crush them.

I am thinking these would be Massive changes and would lead to a very very Different China if he was to become leader this time round

I am thinking this would be a very Different Chiang