Whe should Arthur marry?

• Eleanor of Austria (b. 1498)

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Isabel of Austria (b. 1501)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Isabel of Portugual (b. 1503)

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Other (please write in who and I'll add)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Beatrice of Portugal (1504)

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you.

Thank you.

Henry will be wanting to be part of the goverment sooner rather than later.

As others have said there is no historical proof that was a thing. Secondly, he is baby Arthur's heir. As not all babies lived past a year, it is imperative that Henry marries and has children of his own.

This is very true.

Exactly my thoughts.

Katherine is co-regents with Margaret and Elizabeth. This both because is the king's mother and to stop her from being returned to Spain with the rest of her dowry. If that is still unacceptable, I can just have Margaret and Elizabeth be regents.
I find it more likely that would only be an interim measure while the Duke of York is underaged. Usually, it’s the senior male prince who becomes Lord Protector.
Are you thinking conflict with Scotland if a Prince of England is Duke of York and will be having lands in Scotland as well.

With Henry as Duke of York was over lands does he have are we talking about a good chunk of the yorkist inheritance?

What are you thinking in regards to the Hasburgs, Valos and Tudors in reality it was the France and Hasburgs wars that dominate the next 3 centuries.
Probably not. The Yorkist inheritance grown to how it was IOTL because of inheritances from other nobles of the realm like the Mortimers who in turn inherited lands from the Clarence Plantagenet line.

I find it more likely that would only be an interim measure while the Duke of York is underaged. Usually, it’s the senior male prince who becomes Lord Protector.

Probably not. The Yorkist inheritance grown to how it was IOTL because of inheritances from other nobles of the realm like the Mortimers who in turn inherited lands from the Clarence Plantagenet line.
True but does Henry get the Yorkist lands or just the once Edmund of lambley had

True but does Henry get the Yorkist lands or just the once Edmund of lambley had
I quite like the idea of Henry being a John of Gaunt-esque figure...three wives and mistresses galore. I mean, it's more realistic than him being the next Pope I suppose (though I dearly adore that mental image too). Let him get the Yorkist lands - he'll have fun managing them.

I'm a little more curious about who the young king will marry. Isabella or Beatrice of Portugal? Eleanor or Isabella of Austria?

I quite like the idea of Henry being a John of Gaunt-esque figure...three wives and mistresses galore. I mean, it's more realistic than him being the next Pope I suppose (though I dearly adore that mental image too). Let him get the Yorkist lands - he'll have fun managing them.

I'm a little more curious about who the young king will marry. Isabella or Beatrice of Portugal? Eleanor or Isabella of Austria?
Please make him wed Isabella of Portugal.

Absolutely. Once Henry is 18/19 he will rule until his nephew reached the same age…

Please make him wed Isabella of Portugal.
Eleanor or Isabella of Austria are far likelier matches than her as they are older and would be ready for babymaking as soon Arthur will be, would bring a better alliance and are more prestigious brides…

Younger sons tend to try and get there own kings like Jon of Gaunt with Castile or Henri III of France being king of Poland Lithuania

Younger sons tend to try and get there own kings like Jon of Gaunt with Castile or Henri III of France being king of Poland Lithuania
Unfortunately by this stage in time England no longer had the power and influence it once had for luxuries like that. Gone were the days when longbows reigned supreme on the battlefield.

Absolutely. Once Henry is 18/19 he will rule until his nephew reached the same age…

Eleanor or Isabella of Austria are far likelier matches than her as they are older and would be ready for babymaking as soon Arthur will be, would bring a better alliance and are more prestigious brides…
I would very much love to see the Duke of York get England into the same disastrous wars of OTL and get discredited, with young Arthur to see his uncle as a reverse role model and learn from it.

Last edited:
Mary Tudor ITTL would be further away in dynastic hierarchy, being neither daughter nor sister but just aunt of English king. That would impact her marriage prospects

Thank you both for this information. Any ideas for who Mary would marry in this scenario?
Christian of Denmark could be interested in marrying her, same for Charles II of Savoy, else I guess some ruling Duke or French junior prince would work…
Or maybe a domestic match, likely with a maternal cousin (either Thomas Howard or Henry Courtenay, who have both her age)

Christian of Denmark could be interested in marrying her, same for Charles II of Savoy, else I guess some ruling Duke or French junior prince would work…
Or maybe a domestic match, likely with a maternal cousin (either Thomas Howard or Henry Courtenay, who have both her age)
I vote for a Danish match. Especially if Isabella of Austria marries little Arthur.

Made a poll. Also, everyone good with Mary marrying Christian of Denmark?
Yes to Denmark. Also, I think Beatrice of Portugal has as much chance of being selected as Arthur's bride as her big sister Isabella. She's only a year younger than Isabella and the Portuguese are at the height of their powers at this point. They may not want to waste their eldest daughter on a middle-weight power such as England.