Whe should Arthur marry?

• Eleanor of Austria (b. 1498)

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Isabel of Austria (b. 1501)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Isabel of Portugual (b. 1503)

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Other (please write in who and I'll add)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Beatrice of Portugal (1504)

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1510-1512
King Arthur was eight years old now and everyone insisted that he was turning into a perfect gentleman.

The new decade started with the co-regency of Prince Henry and Princess Dowager Katherine. It was not a perfect partnership. Prince Henry was in truth expecting to be the one in change, assuming Katherine would let him take the reigns. Katherine debased him of that notion pretty quickly. Prince Henry would often call her a perfect woman, so dignified and poised. He made it clear numerous times how he was attracted to the former princess of Spain. There were rumors that he once propositioned his brother's widow only to be told a very firm hell no.

Princess Katherine was not about to let anyone get in her way of taking care of her son and his kingdom. While she was sure that Margaret and Elizabeth had Arthur's best interests in mind, she could not say the same for Henry. And if she felt he made the wrong decision, she made sure to let him know it. She refused to allow him to put his favorites on her son's council and would get his mother involved if he tried to throw his weight around. While this angered the Duke of York, he could not stop admiring her. He would curse her in one breath but praise her in the next. "She is the most infatuating woman I have ever met and yet I wish to kiss the ground she walks on for it is sacred," he wrote in one letter.

One thing that Katherine and Henry did agree on with the war of the League of Cambrai. Pope Julius commanded a holy war against France. King Fernando,and Emperor Maximilian were already ready to go and England would join, signing the treaty of Westminster. King Philip chose to remain neutral as his daughter was soon to be married to the King of France's son. Instead he focused on continuing the expeditions in the New World.

Henry promised his wife that he would expand her inheritance to the Duchy of Auvergne. He was eager to prove his moniker the Lion of York, and immediately jumped at the chance to a general. Meanwhile, Princess Mary was sent to Denmark, to marry Prince Christian. She exchanged a tearful goodbye with her mother, siblings, and nephew. The flagship was named Mary Rose in her honor. Queen Juana birthed a daughter in 1512 who she named Catalina after her sister.

The Duke of York and the Earl of Lincoln met up with Fernando of Aragon in the Country of Auvergne. King Fernando wanted to use the English troops to invade Navarre before they expanded the borders of Auvergne. Henry refused, believing that his wife's lands would be France's prime target and unlike Calais, they did not have help from the English ships prowling the channel.

It led to a very heated argument that led to both men almost coming to blows. King Ferdinand returned to where his troops were fighting France in Italy while Henry had the English army to Montpellier as it was close to the coast. Charles, Duke of Bourbon raised ten thousand men to beat Henry, only to be crushed by the English army with the duke being captured.

King Ferdinand meanwhile sent the Duke of Alba to invade Navarre, knowing that Queen Catherine of Navarre would send troops to relive the defeated Duke of Bourbon.

Realizing he needed help distracting the English, King Louis reached out to King James of Scots, citing the Auld Alliance to convince him to attack England.

Last edited:
Good Chapter, I hope James doesn't die at Flodden and leave Scotland with a long Regency. I'm surprised Philip has managed to survive Ferdinand and the Court at this point, that's good, although I think his neutrality with the French is going to put an end to his fortunes unless he can work out a compromise for Castile to supply troops to Aragon.

Good Chapter, I hope James doesn't die at Flodden and leave Scotland with a long Regency. I'm surprised Philip has managed to survive Ferdinand and the Court at this point, that's good, although I think his neutrality with the French is going to put an end to his fortunes unless he can work out a compromise for Castile to supply troops to Aragon.
Fernando is a bit busy with kicking France out of Italy and making plans to invade Navarre. As long as Philip support the French he is content to leave things be. As for James, butterflies may flap their wings.

Fernando is a bit busy with kicking France out of Italy and making plans to invade Navarre. As long as Philip support the French he is content to leave things be.
Joana is still considered crazy here, or she is considered normal and Philip has a lot of "influence"?
As for James, butterflies may flap their wings.
I like the idea of James fleeing to Scotland after Flodden and Catherine chased him and invaded Scotland, if James V was captured as a hostage and James IV was killed, it would be cool to have the King of Scotland as a prisoner in England

Joana is still considered crazy here, or she is considered normal and Philip has a lot of "influence"?

I like the idea of James fleeing to Scotland after Flodden and Catherine chased him and invaded Scotland, if James V was captured as a hostage and James IV was killed, it would be cool to have the King of Scotland as a prisoner in England
I love this idea. And it would be a nice change to James dying all the time, not to mention no disastrous second and third marriage for poor Margaret.

As for Joanna, Philip decided that it was better to get flies with honey than vinegar. He "lets" her rule, while he works in the background.

I love this idea. And it would be a nice change to James dying all the time, not to mention no disastrous second and third marriage for poor Margaret.

As for Joanna, Philip decided that it was better to get flies with honey than vinegar. He "lets" her rule, while he works in the background.
Little james as a hostage sounds great.

And Philip was a good ruler, hope he becomes HRE.

Little james as a hostage sounds great.

And Philip was a good ruler, hope he becomes HRE.
Perhaps he and Arthur could become friends.

I am going back and forth with Philip. If Fernando did kill him in OTL, then he running on borrow time in TTL as the circumstances that the led to his death have only been delayed. However, I do like the idea of him being HRE as it would give me time to explore him.

Perhaps he and Arthur could become friends.

I am going back and forth with Philip. If Fernando did kill him in OTL, then he running on borrow time in TTL as the circumstances that the led to his death have only been delayed. However, I do like the idea of him being HRE as it would give me time to explore him.
Yep, and break the dammed Auld alliance.

Please do, he's criminally underused here. And i admit he could have been a much better husband, but the man was a great ruler.

He ruled very well in burgundy.

And hopefully here he and Juana would properly divide their dominions: Charles gets the HRE, Austria and Burgundy while Ferdinand gets the spanish ones.
Considering Philip agreed to have his second son be named Ferdinand, I suspect he would agree to this. Charles can marry Anne of Hungary and Bohemia while Ferdinand marries Beatrice of Portugal.

I think Charles will wed Mary Tudor or a french Princess.
Mary Tudor just married Christian of Denmark so she legally cannot marry Charles. As for a French princess, it would have to be Renee of France as Claude is already married to Francois.

Who would Anna of Hungary marry if not the Hapsburg boys?

Last edited:
Mary Tudor just married Christian of Denmark so she legally cannot marry Charles. As for a French princess, it would have to be Renee of France as Claude is already married to Francois.

Would would Anna of Hungary marry if not the Hapsburg boys?
Had forgotten this. Renee's far from impossible, mind.

Would would Anna of Hungary marry if not the Hapsburg boys?
Drat, I forgot who marries who in this TL. Then Anne of Hungary and Bohemia will be exellent for Charles. Plus given her fertility, there will be plenty of archduke and archduchesses running around.