Whe should Arthur marry?

• Eleanor of Austria (b. 1498)

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Isabel of Austria (b. 1501)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Isabel of Portugual (b. 1503)

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Other (please write in who and I'll add)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Beatrice of Portugal (1504)

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Drat, I forgot who marries who in this TL. Then Anne of Hungary and Bohemia will be exellent for Charles. Plus given her fertility, there will be plenty of archduke and archduchesses running around.
Yep.Plus the habsburgs may also gain hungary anf bohemia.

John Zapolya, Maximilian I... @isabella
Not Maximilian.
Had forgotten this. Renee's far from impossible, mind.
I know. I was just pointing out that Renee is the only French princess available at the moment..
Drat, I forgot who marries who in this TL. Then Anne of Hungary and Bohemia will be exellent for Charles. Plus given her fertility, there will be plenty of archduke and archduchesses running around.
I understand. As for Anna, that is why I figured she should marry Charles. They could have a host of children.

Considering Philip agreed to have his second son be named Ferdinand, I suspect he would agree to this. Charles can marry Anne of Hungary and Bohemia while Ferdinand marries Beatrice of Portugal.
Philip had absolutely NO part in naming Ferdinand, and could have never meet him

Not sure of that… specially as the hereditary royal titles are all tied to Spain…
Hmm. That makes things a bit more complicated especially when, correct me if I am wrong, by Aragon's laws, Charles should be next in line after his grandfather, being the nearest male heir.

Hmm. That makes things a bit more complicated especially when, correct me if I am wrong, by Aragon's laws, Charles should be next in line after his grandfather, being the nearest male heir.
Not really. Juana was sweared as heiress in OTL so she would still get the Crown, possibly associated to Charles, unless Fernando pushes the Cortes to accept another heir. In theory the next-in-line in Aragon should have the next male heir in male line

Not really. Juana was sweared as heiress in OTL so she would still get the Crown, possibly associated to Charles, unless Fernando pushes the Cortes to accept another heir. In theory the next-in-line in Aragon should have the next male heir in male line
Okay. Good. I wasn't sure. But even then would it make more sense for Charles to be Juana's heir in Spain rather than his brother Ferdinand?

Okay. Good. I wasn't sure. But even then would it make more sense for Charles to be Juana's heir in Spain rather than his brother Ferdinand?
In theory yes. The problem is who Charles is raised in Burgundy and Ferdinand in Spain… Well, a solution could be the elevation of the Burgundian lands as Kingdom (or Louis of Hungary dying around 1514 meaning who the Habsburg would get the royal titles of Bohemia and Hungary or at least the first one, after Vladislaus’ death)

In theory yes. The problem is who Charles is raised in Burgundy and Ferdinand in Spain… Well, a solution could be the elevation of the Burgundian lands as Kingdom (or Louis of Hungary dying around 1514 meaning who the Habsburg would get the royal titles of Bohemia and Hungary or at least the first one, after Vladislaus’ death)
Or perhaps the death of Maximilian before Ferdinand II? If Charles is elected emperor before coming to Spain, then Ferdinand is likely to become the next king of Spain. Isn't that what you have said earlier at times?

Or perhaps the death of Maximilian before Ferdinand II? If Charles is elected emperor before coming to Spain, then Ferdinand is likely to become the next king of Spain. Isn't that what you have said earlier at times?
Not in this scenario in which Philip is still alive and Juana is truly Queen meaning who their kids are not wards of their grandfathers

he seemed to be a capable ruler
For Burgundy he is definitely a good ruler. Castile on the other hand, beyond some good economic reforms, I see Philip as a very unpopular king among the Castilian court given his sympathy for the French and preference for Burgundian nobility in trying to promote them into positions of power over the local nobility (I really hope that in time Joana will stop loving Philip so much and start behaving like a real queen who is willing to go against her husband's interests if it benefits her own kingdom).

Excellent timeline, I am enjoying this a lot.

Be really nice if England broke the 'old alliance' between France and Scotland, esp if Katherine captures their King.

Is England exploring the New World yet?

Can Brittany remain as a sepeate Kingdom please?

What's going on in Ireland?

More please!

Excellent timeline, I am enjoying this a lot.

Be really nice if England broke the 'old alliance' between France and Scotland, esp if Katherine captures their King.

Is England exploring the New World yet?

Can Brittany remain as a sepeate Kingdom please?

What's going on in Ireland?

More please!
Just saw I never responded to you. Sorry about that.

King James being captured is way too interesting for me not to do. I thank @The Gybson Boy for suggesting it. England will is not exploring the New World yet. After Henry's death, the ladies were focused on internal matters. But that could change in the future. Nothing of note is happening in Ireland. I think I will take your idea in the Tudor Quadruplets thread and have Arthur go on a progress once he reaches his majority. That will allow him to become more aquinated with his subjects.

Thank you so much.

At first King James IV had been reluctant to renew the alliance with France despite the urging of King Louis, wanting to remain neutral. However, his relations with England were beginning to become strained over the years. The fact that his sons Arthur and James [1] were third and fourth respectively in line for England's throne did not help matters nor did Parliament passing an act which called for him to be obedient to the King of England [2].

Even then the Scottish monarch offered no tangible help to France, only to renew the alliance. Unfortunately, neither the Dowager Princess nor the Duke of York saw it that way. The Archbishop of York [3] convinced Pope Julius to issue a ecclesiastical censure for the Scottish people. After Julius' death, King James tried to convince his successor, Pope Leo to countermand the interdict. Pope Leo did not and threatened King James with excommunication if he were to break the peace treaty.

King James was said to have muttered, "Which one?" before he declared war on England. Despite pleas from his heavily pregnant wife, the monarch had decided that he had no other alternative. He did send England notice a month in advance as he felt chivalry demanded it.

Upon receiving the warning, the Dowager Princess Katherine immediately ordered her son to be sent to Wales, put under the care of her late husband's childhood friend, Gruffydd. King Arthur now a boy of eleven refused to go, reminding his mother that John of Gaunt had been in battle at age ten. Katherine argued that John of Gaunt had only accompanied his older brother on a navel battle, he had done no fighting of his own. Arthur countered neither would she. He followed this by stating that he wanted his soldiers to know he was with them, not hiding in his castle like a coward. Katherine told him that was a lovely thought but he had years to defend his people. Right now they needed to see him safe and well. King Arthur reluctantly agreed.

Once her son was on his way to Wales, Katherine began to mobilize the army and buy the supplies needed while ordering Sir Thomas Lovell and the Duke of Norfolk to rise an army in the midlands. She had two banners made that displayed the royal arms of England and Spain.

Elizabeth of York temporarily came out of retirement to act as regent as Kathrine rode out, in full armor, to face the invading Scots. She would meet up with the Duke of Norfolk in Northumberland. She addressed the troops, telling them that while she was born in Spain, she had come to see England as her homeland and she would expel the invaders from her new home just as her parents had done for Granada. She reminded them of the last pretender who had dared mount an invasion and how he was swiftly dealt with. She finished by starting up a war cry: "For King Arthur!"

The battle of Flodden Field was a disaster for the Scots. First their artillery failed to work properly. Then when they were charging down Braxton Hill, they found the a marshy area at the foot of the hill. King James lost his balance [4], falling forward, nearly face first in the mud. He managed to get back up and rejoined his men. But by then, the English had already begun their slaughter. He was captured by Edmund Howard [5] and forced to surrender by the Duke of Norfolk who wryly commented that this time a duke did command a king, referencing an early barb King James had sent him when Norfolk had challenged him.

Katherine greeted the captured king when he was brought to her, noting she would be sure to send his bloodstained coat to her brother-in-law so he could use it as a banner as he ravaged the French's countryside. As his ancestor [6] had so many years ago, King James was sent to stay at the Tower of London. Edmund Howard was given the earldom of Hereford as a reward.

[1] Butterflies have flapped their wings and Prince Arthur, Duke of Rosthsay (b. 1508) lives longer.

[2] While I was doing my research of King James, I realized it was less him following the Auld Alliance and more him having a rivalry with King Henry.

[3] Christopher Bainbridge was the archbishop before Wolsey. He was King Henry's chaplain and a cardinal.

[4] Our first butterfly avoiding James' death.

[5] Kitty Howard's father, Thomas Howard the Elder's third son, and our second butterfly preventing King James' death.

[6] That would be King James I. He was imprisoned for eighteen years.

Last edited:
@Violet Rose Lily , Katherine is SO badass!

Little arthur is alredy so corageous!

Congrats on edmund!

And the Lion of York will ravage france! he will sink his claws and fangs into everything and plunder good and send katherine the spoils! France shall tremble at the Lion!