Apollinis et Dianae: A Story of Power, Magnificence and Glory

For some reason I see this guy as a court physician of Henriette
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Bourdelot
He has already cured one very high-born patient from her neuroses (court physician of Christine of Sweden). Probably him as savior of Madame and her son?

That's the guy I was thinking of! He could work. Perhaps recommended by the Swedish ambassador or even Christina herself (Christina did makes visits to France so its not crazy to think of the two meeting, and Christina wanting to help).

So the things we've decided so far:
1. Bourdelot as new court physician of Orleans since November 1666. Thus Philippe de Valois lives and Henriette's diet and psychological rest has a medical support.
It's not outlandish that Christine may visit France in 1666. State funeral for Anne of Austria is one possible occasion. And she may recommend Bourdelot to Henriette. Or the recommendation may come from Princess of Conde (Bourdelot was Conde family doctor before he ended up in Sweden, and Duc d'Engien suffered from same symptoms in his childhood as little Duc de Valois, thought those were precursors of genuine mental disorder for him).
2. "Peacemaking" marriage between Maria of Orange and Rupert of the Rhine.
3. Austrian second wife of Duke of York. With much better dowry than Liselotte and an interesting stepmom for Anne in a long run.
4. Liselotte's marriage to William III (if clause 3 is realized).
--------------
That's for marriages /survivals of early 1670ies.

So the things we've decided so far:
1. Bourdelot as new court physician of Orleans since November 1666. Thus Philippe de Valois lives and Henriette's diet and psychological rest has a medical support.
It's not outlandish that Christine may visit France in 1666. State funeral for Anne of Austria is one possible occasion. And she may recommend Bourdelot to Henriette. Or the recommendation may come from Princess of Conde (Bourdelot was Conde family doctor before he ended up in Sweden, and Duc d'Engien suffered from same symptoms in his childhood as little Duc de Valois, thought those were precursors of genuine mental disorder for him).
2. "Peacemaking" marriage between Maria of Orange and Rupert of the Rhine.
3. Austrian second wife of Duke of York. With much better dowry than Liselotte and an interesting stepmom for Anne in a long run.
4. Liselotte's marriage to William III (if clause 3 is realized).
--------------
That's for marriages /survivals of early 1670ies.

Pretty much what I have as well. I'll have to figure out an exact way to get Bourdelot as Doctor to the Orleans (I'm not sure where he was in 1666) but besides that it should work.

I already have Maria of Orange marrying Rupert (it'll be in the next chapter). And the Austrian Duchess of York will be in either chapter 6 or 7 (probably 7).

And Liselotte will be an interesting Princess of Orange, thats for sure. I also have some ideas for Ladies Mary and Anne, but those will wait for now, as I need to make sure some things add up. But, spoilers, if I can play the cards right, Sweden or Denmark will have an English Queen.

In 1666 he was in France, he was thrown out of Swedish court in 1653 and settled in France. And he has good recommendations from Christine and from Princess of Conde (Claire-Clemence is much better person to present those recommendations, since I can't imagine Henriette and Christine discussing Henriette's health issues).

A funny factoid - Amelia of Orange nursed Rupert when he was a child, being lady-in-waiting to Rupert's mother before becoming Princess of Orange. So having her former ward for a son-in-law will be "sweetening the pill" for the old lady.

Chapter IV: The Rise of the Sun King
Chapter IV: The Rise of the Sun King

LeBrun_Louis_XIV_at_Douai_in_the_War_of_Devolution_1667.jpg

King Louis XIV visiting the front lines during the War of Devolution

With the war with the English over, the Dutch can now turn to a more pressing matter, the French invasion of the Spanish Netherlands. The invasion, began in May, has rapidly turned into a route for the Spanish. By the middle of August large sections of the Spanish Netherlands, including the city fortresses of Charleroi, Ath, Tournai, Kortrijk, and Oudenaarde, have fallen to the French, with the Capital of Flanders (the Country of Flanders being a key part of the Spanish Netherlands) Lille, under siege.

This rapid advance takes much of Europe by surprise. Though it was known by the bulk of Nations that Spain had began to decline the swiftness of it was a shock. On the other hand, this could have more to do with the massive, and highly trained, French Army. Personally led by the 28-year-old King Louis, the French juggernaut seems unstoppable. The Dutch now have the self appointed, unenviable task of organizing a coalition against the French, one that can force them to cease their conquest.

However, this task will not fall to the Grand Pensionary. In September, shortly after the fall of Lille, the terms of the Treaty of Whitehall are published. The subsequent firestorm of anger is something that de Witt and his fellow Regents (as some members of the States Party are termed) are unable to weather. The members of the States Party find themselves accused of treason and betraying the Nations interest (the former is obviously false but the later is much more difficult to rebuff). While they are imprisoned awaiting trial, the States of Holland appoint William III of Orange as Stadtholder of Holland on September 10th. Though the surviving members of the States party try to get charges against their leaders dismissed, or at the very least negated, the Oragists will have none of it. The de Witt brothers, the precised leading members of the former Regime, are quickly tried and found guilty, being executed on September 23rd.

Though William has reclaimed his families legacy, it is much changed from the state that existed when his father died in 1650. For one the Netherlands is almost broke. Trade has all but ceased, with fear of the plague spreading. Their Spice Fleet, something the Dutch were counting on, was captured by England. Not to mention the 2 million owed to England by treaty. The Navy had been crushed and depopulated, with very little successful recruitment, again because of the plague. The Army neglected in favor of the navy, though thankfully it remains relatively unaffected by the outbreaks. All in all the Netherlands is battered but not beaten and, given time, can recover. Unfortunately, France doesn't intend to wait.

In London, the replacement of the Grand Pensionary with the Stadtholder is greeted with both joy (the Netherlands being returned to its rightful ruler in English eyes) and concern, as it was the Treaty of Whitehall that inadvertently brought the Orangists back to power and there are fears that this could lead to the treaty being broken. Though unpopular, the new Dutch government knows that its impossible to break the treaty, as they can't afford to risk hostilities with England continuing. To help smooth over relations, Amalia of Solms-Braunfels Dowager Princess of Orange (and William's grandmother) offers her daughter Maria of Orange-Nassau as a bride for the galliant but single Prince Rupert of the Palatinate.

512px-Jan_Mijtens_-_Portret_van_Maria%2C_prinses_van_Oranje_%281642-1688%29.jpg

Maria of Orange, Countess of Nassau, Princess Palatine and Duchess of Cumberland

The only single adult male of the English Royal Family, Prince Rupert is probably one of the most well known Princes in all of Europe. A hero of the Royalist faction in the English Civil war, he is also a rare type of military officer, able to effortlessly slide from Cavalry command to Naval leadership. Though not a very prestigious match for either party (Rupert a landless second surviving son of the Elector Palatine and Maria a nearly spinster daughter of an elective Ruler) the marriage goes ahead, taking place on October 23rd, in the Chapel Royal at the Palace of Whitehall, London.

Back on the Continent and also in October, the official campaign season ends, with France in possession of large parts of the Spanish Netherlands and poised to finish the job next year. Spain is desperate for aid. Sense June a relief exbidition was prepared in Spain, to be led by Don Juan Jose. However, the departure has been constantly delayed. In vain the Queen Regent turns to her brother, and recently son-in-law, Emperor Leopold I for aid. Unfortunately, Louis XIV has already signed a secret treaty with the Emperor, promising him Spain itself, the Duchy of Milan and the Spanish Colonies in exchange for the Spanish Netherlands, the Franche-Comte (a region bordering France and the Holy Roman Empire), and the Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily. Of course, this treaty wouldn't go into effect until King Carlos II's death, but with his precarious health it is expected to happen soon.

Next Spain tries to turn to other Catholic nations, including the Papacy, the Archbishops of Cologne and Trier, the Duchy of Savoy, even the Electorate of Bavaria. But to no avail. No nation seems to want to challenge the French. Humiliated, the Spanish are forced to turn to Protestant nations, including the Netherlands (an even more humiliating turn), Sweden, Denmark and the Electors of Brandenburg, Saxony and even the Elector Palatine. Though most reject the pleas, the Elector Palatine laughs in the Spanish Envoy's face, several are reciprocal. These nations are led by the Netherlands. Though weakened, the Dutch aren't out yet.

Led by William III, the Dutch are prepared to turn on their century long ally France to ensure the security of their southern border. Several months of high level negotiations follow, and in January 1668 a new alliance is signed. Made up of the Netherlands, Sweden, Brandenburg, and the surprisingly enough the Emperor (Leopold I gave into pleas by his wife to support her mother and brother), this alliance, is called the League of Amsterdam (after the city the alliance was signed in) or the Quadruple Alliance. The official goal is to ensure the relinquishment of certain territories in the Spanish Netherlands and to persuade France to limit its claims.A secret added protocol, however, also provided that, if the French king extended his claims or were to continue his campaign of conquest, the alliance would use force to push France back to the borders of 1659.

Just when it seems that yet another general European war will break out, England's King Charles II offers to act as mediator. Though many of his advisors suggest continuing the war, King Louis ultimately chooses to listen to the advise of his foreign minister, Hugues de Lionne, and finance minister, Jean-Baptiste Colbert, and accept his cousin's offer. Spain and her semi-allies in the League of Amsterdam are surprised and suspicious, as King Charles had refused to sign on to the League when offered. Indeed, the League is right to be suspicious, as the two Kings have been in secret correspondence sense November of the previous year, with King Louis trying to find a way out of his expensive war (it had cost most than 18 million livres by February 1668) while gaining as much territory as possible. However suspicious, the League and Spain realize that to turn down mediation when its already been accepted by the French would be disastrous.

The Congress, chaired by Clarendon, opens in Greenwich in April 1668. Though it takes some weeks the final Treaty of Greenwich, signed on May 2nd, leaves France in a much strengthened place. Though not the entire Spanish Netherlands by any means, France ends the war with permanent possession of the Franche-Comte, and the cities of Cambrai, Saint-Omer,Armentieres, Bergues , Charleroi, Courtrai , Douai, Furnes , Lille, Oudenarde and Tournai.

It is a masterful piece of diplomacy, showing how the balance of power has shifted from the Netherlands and Spain to England and France. It also leaves open the potential of future cooperation between England and France. However, it is to be the final action of the Earl of Clarendon in a Government Position.

So will Carlos II Hapsburg continue to ruin everybody's plans by surviving decades longer than expected?

You mean the secret treaty between Louis XIV and the Emperor? That was actually real in history. Its why Emperor Leopold didn't intervene in the War of Devolution. But yes suffice to say Carlos II will continue to through a spinner in various plans by living longer than he should.

Unless certain butterflies (like the movement of plagues/sicknesses/events) kill him off before 1700. Could happen.

Nice read, helps to overcome my own writer's block with ATL Nine-Years War description:) My own project will be on hiatus for some time due to unexpected and unfortunate RL circumstances but in meanwhile I can enjoy good read and hopefully make some contributions.

Nice read, helps to overcome my own writer's block with ATL Nine-Years War description:) My own project will be on hiatus for some time due to unexpected and unfortunate RL circumstances but in meanwhile I can enjoy good read and hopefully make some contributions.

Glad to see people enjoying it! And I hope RL allows you to write more soon. Your TL is what inspired me to get off my lazy butt and actually start writing this. And thanks for the help with Henriette-Anne, it'll be in Chapter 6.

By the way, a possible residence for the Cumberlands other than Windsor (used in my TL), can be this thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamstead_Marshall
The original building (burned down in 1718) was constructed for Rupert's mother, Elisabeth Stuart, but she died before the construction was finished. So the purchase may be arranged soon after Rupert's marriage.

By the way, a possible residence for the Cumberlands other than Windsor (used in my TL), can be this thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamstead_Marshall
The original building (burned down in 1718) was constructed for Rupert's mother, Elisabeth Stuart, but she died before the construction was finished. So the purchase may be arranged soon after Rupert's marriage.

That could work. Though did many members of the Royal family have country residences? The Stuarts under Charles and James seemed to be very Cosmopolitan, with the Court mainly staying at Whitehall year round. Very different than the summer progresses of Charles I and Henrietta Maria. However, a country Royal palace will be making an appearance next chapter.

Many of the Tudor and early Stuart houses had either deteriorated beyond repair (Nonsuch), or been sold or pulled down by the Commonwealth. Charles owned (or leased, not sure which) Audley End for many years, which he used when visiting Newmarket for the racing.

That could work. Though did many members of the Royal family have country residences? The Stuarts under Charles and James seemed to be very Cosmopolitan, with the Court mainly staying at Whitehall year round. Very different than the summer progresses of Charles I and Henrietta Maria. However, a country Royal palace will be making an appearance next chapter.

The main reason is not Rupert but his TTL wife. All her sisters requested from their husbands to build them country residences (Oranienbaum, Oranienschloss, Oranjewoud Palace etc.), so Maria is not too found being reminded of her lesser position in comparison to her sisters. Political marriage or not, she WANTS her country residence (and will probably rename it something like Orange House to keep with the trend).
Hamstead Marshall is a perfect site for one, being connected to Rupert's family history.
As we don't know how the original Hamstead Marshall manor looked, I envision something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatsworth_House
Not very grand but enough for Maria of Nassau to feel less a trophy and more a wife.

Last edited:
Many of the Tudor and early Stuart houses had either deteriorated beyond repair (Nonsuch), or been sold or pulled down by the Commonwealth. Charles owned (or leased, not sure which) Audley End for many years, which he used when visiting Newmarket for the racing.

Both. Charles leased it, then bought it in 1668.

The main reason is not Rupert but his TTL wife. All her sisters requested from their husbands to build them country residences (Oranienbaum, Oranienschloss, Oranjewoud Palace etc.), so Maria is not too found being reminded of her lesser position in comparison to her sisters. Political marriage or not, she WANTS her country residence (and will probably rename it something like Orange House to keep with the trend).
Hamstead Marshall is a perfect site for one, being connected to Rupert's family history.
As we don't know how the original Hamstead Marshall manor looked, I envision something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatsworth_House
Not very grand but enough for Maria of Nassau to feel less a trophy and more a wife.

Ah did not know that. That could work. I'll also look into any Crown residences that could be given to the Cumberlands, either outright or as grace and favor residences. What about either Eltham Palace or Havering Palace? Both are in London today but would have been outside the city in the 1600s.

I am fairly sure both were ruinous by 1660. And, such parts as remained would be so hideously old fashioned and uncomfortable that no 'modern' lady (let alone one of royal blood) could bear to live in it for a a day.

The time is gone when lord and lady could pig out companionably in the great hall. No the only solution is to build a new house in the modern Italian style adopted by every civilised person.

Last edited: