Apollinis et Dianae: A Story of Power, Magnificence and Glory

In this thread
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=8935574#post8935574
an interesting thought came up.
Will Leopold I be willing to pay his sister's promised dowry in form of this Silesian exclave?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Świebodzin
Or will he be a dick of varying degree of dickery and either be willing to trade the Silesian dowry for something else (in OTL Schwiebus was one of the bargaining chips with Hohenzollerns getting the King in Prussia title) or we'll get a mini-Devolution war within the HRE, when Karl Emil basically says "Screw you, ungrateful pig! My brother died in the Battle of Vienna to save your sorry ass, and you are not giving me what's rightfully mine via the marriage to your sister" and sends Brandenburgian troops to occupy the Duchy of Schwiebus in Silesia, proclaiming himself a Duke.

In this thread
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=8935574#post8935574
an interesting thought came up.
Will Leopold I be willing to pay his sister's promised dowry in form of this Silesian exclave?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Świebodzin
Or will he be a dick of varying degree of dickery and either be willing to trade the Silesian dowry for something else (in OTL Schwiebus was one of the bargaining chips with Hohenzollerns getting the King in Prussia title) or we'll get a mini-Devolution war within the HRE, when Karl Emil basically says "Screw you, ungrateful pig! My brother died in the Battle of Vienna to save your sorry ass, and you are not giving me what's rightfully mine via the marriage to your sister" and sends Brandenburgian troops to occupy the Duchy of Schwiebus in Silesia, proclaiming himself a Duke.

It would be cool/funny if Karl Emil does that. Maybe not realistic, but funny all the same. Karl Emil like you said in that other thread, hasn't the same problems that the kings of Poland when promised duchies as dowry for their wives, and the Habsburgs made no move to hand them over.

Also, Friedrich I ceded them to the Habsburgs and in his testament, he charged "posterity to prosecute" the Hohenzollern claim in Silesia "if God should one day send the opportunity."

If Karl Emil is anything like FWI/Alte Fritz he's gonna take that opportunity right now IMHO.

Just out of curiosity, I know its still a ways into the future, but can Adelaide of Savoy's father consider the proposal for her to marry OTL Karl VI more seriously - what with a stronger Habsburg empire and all. I don't say she must marry him, although it would be cool if she did, I think she would've ruled Karl much the same as she did Bourgogne.

Just out of curiosity, I know its still a ways into the future, but can Adelaide of Savoy's father consider the proposal for her to marry OTL Karl VI more seriously - what with a stronger Habsburg empire and all. I don't say she must marry him, although it would be cool if she did, I think she would've ruled Karl much the same as she did Bourgogne.

Not gonna happen. Don't want to give anything away, but Archduke Karl won't be getting married in this TL. Also, your thinking of Emperor Josef I.

Not gonna happen. Don't want to give anything away, but Archduke Karl won't be getting married in this TL. Also, your thinking of Emperor Josef I.

According to two books - 'Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King' and 'The First Lady of Versailles' - it was the Archduke Karl who was offered. This is the first I've heard of Josef being the candidate. Although, the lack of a Maria Theresa-analogue is somewhat disappointing.

LOL at convergence - a TL where Zelyonaya Dolina battle and Amur War go differently from OTL.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=215360&highlight=Peter+East&page=2
Though here - not THAT differently. After all, we are not writing the Pan-European wank. But Sheremetev Jr. will be turning the tide in Crimean campaign, while Sheremetev Sr. will be doing the same at Albazin (didn't manage this OTL because of his return by order of Regent Sophia, but TTL the old general gets his shot at Manchu):)
Anyways, all of this will be in the next chapters (the next chapter of mine, to be published soon, deals with what's spoiled above and (mis)adventures of Sophia of Russia in Poland, and her husband in Moldavia. Right now we've divided our workload to treat our public with chapters more frequently - mine is Russia, PLC, Courland and Moldavia (and maybe China and Persia but not too much, as my research on Kangxi court is in the progress and I haven't made my mind so far on what to do with the drunk Shah), the rest is Constantine's).

Anyways, all of this will be in the next chapters (the next chapter of mine, to be published soon, deals with what's spoiled above and (mis)adventures of Sophia of Russia in Poland, and her husband in Moldavia. Right now we've divided our workload to treat our public with chapters more frequently - mine is Russia, PLC, Courland and Moldavia (and maybe China and Persia but not too much, as my research on Kangxi court is in the progress and I haven't made my mind so far on what to do with the drunk Shah), the rest is Constantine's).

Cool. I wonder what mischief Sophia will get up to at a court where she's likely to be disliked due to her religion, and no strelsty. Ought to be interesting to say the least. I also hope the Kettlers and Moldavia are gonna get a little more screen-time. They're really underplayed characters in Alt-History.

Cool. I wonder what mischief Sophia will get up to at a court where she's likely to be disliked due to her religion, and no strelsty. Ought to be interesting to say the least. I also hope the Kettlers and Moldavia are gonna get a little more screen-time. They're really underplayed characters in Alt-History.

Not much mischief so far as she's just learning the ropes in the new place - fluency in Polish and knowledge of Polish law does not mean that the plotter in question doesn't need to learn the rules of game....and try to make some connections.
As for Moldavia...Cantemirs are going to end up in pretty interesting position, and Cantacuzeno lineage TTL will get a bit more glorification than OTL for political reasons.

According to two books - 'Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King' and 'The First Lady of Versailles' - it was the Archduke Karl who was offered. This is the first I've heard of Josef being the candidate. Although, the lack of a Maria Theresa-analogue is somewhat disappointing.

Well there WILL be a Maria Theresa type figure, though it won't come from where you expect.

Chapter XXVI: New Day for New Alliances
Chapter XXVI: New Day for New Alliances

319px-History_of_Peter_I_%28Krekshin%29_-_Vasily_Golitsyn%27s_campaign.jpg

Russian Troops Marching towards Crimea
As the1687 campaigns in Hungary and Africa draw to a close, a new front is being opened by the Russians and their Polish allies. As troops commanded by Dolgorukov – "a most perfect army" 90,000 strong – march from Sevsk towards the Belgorod Defense Line major fortress – Novobogoroditsk in May 1687, the plans of the highest Russian command became less than ambitious. The imprisonment and execution of General Sheremetev (uncle to Boris Sheremetev, current second-in-command to the Prince Dolgorukov) in the previous Russian-Turkish war did little to help matters, in regards to the generals of the army. However, the Russians learned much from both the previous wars and their Polish neighbors, now allies and were eager to put the lessons to practice.
First of all, as Dolgorukov reasoned, Crimea could easily be considered an island, being surrounded by the Black sea from three sides and only the salty desert of Perekop isthmus connecting it to the mainland. It is a natural fortress – but it can be just as easily turned into a natural prison. The Russian strategy involves “pincers”, requiring the conquest of the fortresses of Azov, Ochakov and Shakh-Kermen on the other hand, while performing counter-raids against the Crimean Tatars in the Wild Field. However, being cut off from supplies by the scorched earth tactics of the Tatars on one hand and the Perekop desert on the other, with only three wells for entire isthmus, is what just what Tatars want.
So the army was divided into two wings. The “Dniepr wing” led by Boris Sheremetev and Grigory Kosagov was sent down the Dniepr to burn down the fortresses there, and to capture Ochakov. Leonty Nepluev was sent to Voronezh with a secret decree from the Tsar himself – the Russian commanders counted on repeat of the last siege Azov in 1673, when Ivan Khitrovo (relative of the former nanny to Feodor III, Anna Khitrovo) attempted to block Azov using a river fleet of 25 vessels, but was stopped by a Turkish galley squadron. Now the Turks are busy in Mediterranean, and with a successful river campaign Azov will fall, insuring the “pincer” plan is implemented seamlessly. The ships to be built at the Voronezh wharf were mostly traditional “baidak”-type ships of the Cossack pirates, with a few galeas-type ships to be used as “floating fortresses” for the bombardment of Azov from the sea, being little more than floating artillery platforms. However, this is merely the first step. The main fleet is to be built once Ochakov is captured.
Dolgorukov took the command of the Central army himself. This army was well equipped to deal with the Tatar cavalry – the trump card was the artillery. The success of the Swedish regements piece grapeshot artillery convinced the Russians to commission quite a few light cannons of this type. The cannons needed only one draft horse ,or two men, to move them, could accompany galloping cavalry squads due to the specific gun carriage structure, and fire up to 6 shots per minute. In the interwar period the Russians improved and unified their artillery, creating the Pushkarsky Polk (“cannons regiment”), the most elite artillery regiment in the entire Russian Army, which included, grenade-launcher mortars. Grenades were also widely used by Russian infantry. The main idea being to "cripple and burn" the enemy, while at the same time working on the defense line. The campaign is one of slow but constant advance, which will hopefully see Russia acquire the Crimean peninsula and much of the surrounding Black sea ports.
The campaign down the Dniepr, however, was considered anything but slow by many accounts. Sheremetev was determined to make the best use of his mobile artillery and Cossack allies. The event that turned Cossacks from the reluctant allies to full partners occured on June 13th, 1687, when Feodor III argeed to fulfill the long-time request of the Hetman to grant autonomy to the Sloboda Ukraine Cossacks and to promise Malorossia (as Ukraine was called) the lands of the Belgorod Horde, soon to be conquered.
This action, while being highly doubtful, allowed areliable rear for the army, combined with the Novobogoroditsk fortress on Samara River being close enough to Khanate borders to launch counter-raids. The Tsar’s act also confirmed the right of “Free Cossack settlement” in the Baikal and Amur regions, where the armies sent in 1682 and 1686 respectively were waging war with the new Qing Dynasty of China. Once Crimea falls,Moscow plans to turn its attention towards the Siberian, so attempts are being made to stimulate the fortification of the borders before a major campaign is undertaken. Those in the know are aware that that the reason for the Amur clause was the messenger sent to Moscow from Albazin, where Russia and China so far had stalemate, China lacking the interest in smashing the white barbarians due to the growing issues along the Mongolian border. The messenger, besides bringing news on the heroic fortress holding on against the pagans, brought an interesting gift for the Tsar- gold nuggets. That, combined with the gold and silver fields found near Baikal in 1678, has sparked the Tsar’s interest to the region, and assured that the regions Chinese border will soon be host to the boots of the Russian bear.
Meanwhile, the 40,000 strong army of Sheremetev and Kosagov has easily pushed the Belgorod horde flank, thanks to the weakness of the Tatar force- most having been recalled to Moldova. The fall of Ochakov on July 16, 1987 was widely celebrated, and Sheremetev immediately ordered the reinforcement of the Russia's new Black Sea port.

221px-Kazykermen.jpg

The cresent vs. the cross: the Siege of Ochakov
On the main front the campaign was rather slow – in large because of a change of leadership in Hetmanate. The Novobogoroditsk fortress was close to the Konka River, thus a counter-raid was possible. A force of 7,000 Cossacks and 7,000 Russian cavalry, led by Grigory Grigorievich Romodanovsky (cousin-in-law to the Tsar, his father, elderly Grigory Romodanosky dying of heart attack on June 5, he volunteered to go despite being held as a prisoner by Tatars before – the Prince wanted to die in battle, to avenge his fate) was sent first as a probe, and on June 12 they encountered the Crimean raid. The prisoners captured in the resulting skirmish confirmed Dolgorukov’s worries – the Khan indeed planned to burn the steppe, using the scorched earth tactics.Given the relative closeness of Novbogoroditsk to the border and the possibility to supply it from the “mainland” – namely from Sloboda Ukraine, combined the fact that the purpose of this stage of the campaign was to harass the Tatars, Dolgorukov decided to finally take the risk on July 27.
The battle of Zelyonaya Dolina is considered the greatest battle in this campaign and one of the most important in Russian history. 50,000 Russian troops faced 80,000 Tatars, commanded by Selim I Giray, the fearsome Crimean Khan himself. He was a loyal vassal of the Sultan, and coordinated all his actions with Turks. Now the Russians posed the unfavorable obstacle preventing this loyal vassal from assisting his Sultan in Moldavia, where the Turkish army had ran into problems repealing the Polish invaders.
The battle is considered a triumph of Russian artillery, which decimated the Tatar cavalry. However the battle had major casualties on both sides – the Russians having lost Grigory Grigorievich Romodanovsky (as he only had a daughter from his marriage, his younger brother Mikhail remained the only adult male in his branch of the Royal House,establishing the superiority of Fyodor Romodanovsky over his cousins, began by his marriage to Tsarevna Catherin), while Hetman Ivan Samoilovich and his son Grigory, colonel of Belgorod Cossack regiment were killed thanks to the Cossacks being hit by the blunt of the Tatar cavalry charge. According to rumors however, Ivan was shot in the back by one of his bodyguards, bribed by some of his political opponents, who disliked his autocratic tendencies and feared that his assumption of the title Prince of Ruthenia was a blatant attempt to turn the Hetmanate into a hereditary Principality. The Tatars also suffered severe losses, with Azamat-Giray, Nureddin of Crimean Khanate and son of the Khan, being taken prisoner. He was sent first to Sevsk and then to Moscow,where the Prince was publicly paraded across the Red Square in a gilded cage, before being sent to Tobolsk, where he will remain a prisioner and potential bargaining chip.With only 20,000 men left on his disposal (Tatars, however, lost 50,000 over Russian 30,000 so the battle was considered a stalemate) and his ally in the region leader-less, Dolgorukov is forced to retreat to Novobogoroditsk. However,between the conquest of Ochakov and the prisoners and trophies sent to Moscow, the 1687 campaign is mainly viewed as a success.
Meanwhile, in Vienna, Iakov Dolgorukov, accompanied by Prokophy Voznytsin, who already was an envoy to Vienna in 1667, has arrived to act as Russia's representative on the Supreme War Council. Iakov was been tasked to coordinate the Russian actions with the actions of the Holy League and to monitor it's naval actions- as any chance to hold Ochakov against the inevitable Turkish counterattack depends on the Ottoman Navy remaining pinned down in the Mediterranean.
Another, unofficial, task given to the Ambassador is to search for a pretty brunette princess among the Protestant members of the League, with the potential to become the next Tsarina of Russia (the Pope being reluctant to give dispensation for conversion of Therese Kunegunda Sobieska or any other Catholic Princess). Tsarevich Peter is already old enough to have a mistress or even two – but a daughter of craftsmen, like Elena Fademrech or wine traders like Anna Mons are obviously unacceptable candidates, as is a local match within the Russian Nobility. Venturing into European politics and acting as the “Third Rome” will require a European match.
However, the bride search becomes less urgent with the announcement of the pregnancy of Tsarina Marfa in July. Tsar Feodor III hopes against all odds that the curse is nothing but a fake, and the child will be a boy, healthier than his firstborn Ilya (who died only a few days after birth along with his mother).
In hopes of guaranteeing the birth of a son, the Tsar frequently goes on pilgrimages to his favorite Simonov Monastery, where he even has a separate room for prayers. The monastery has recently been renovated in the Polish-influenced baroque style by the Tsar’s favorite architect Osip Startsev. Said architect is now working on Izmailovo country palace of the Tsar,the first stone country palace to be build in Russia (Kolomenskoye, the huge country palace of Alexis I, was completely wooden and built “without saw and nail”). The renovations of Izmailovo, which began in 1680 were highly influenced by the tales of Versailles, though the modest tastes of Tsar himself along with limited space on Izmailovo Island ensured a much smaller palace complex than those of Louis XIV or Charles II. But the palace is to to be made of stone and be a truly unique structure (preferring stone to wood, Tsar Feodor has already began giving subsidies for the renovation of Moscow into a stone city of Baroque magnificence, to rival the great cities of Europe).
More recently Feodor has been accompanied on these pilgrimages by Tsarevich Peter, surprising to many as the Tsarevich has never shown any interest in religion, and has even been involved in alchemical experiments, officially condemned by the Church. However he has every reason to pray for a birth of healthy male heir to the Tsardom of Russia – as that means that Peter, no longer heir presumptive is free to go on his first official military campaign. Recently the Tsar promised that if Marfa gives birth to a healthy male child, Peter is to command the assault on Azov officially, rising the prestige of the dynasty. Thus the brothers are often found together riding along the bank of Moscow River with their friends and advisors, speaking in Russian or in Latin (Feodor III liked to check his brother’s knowledge of the subject).

Over in Poland , the marriage of Sophia of Russia and King Jan III was caused several rifts. The new Queen, being Orthodox, was not eligible to be crowned, meaning she is formally HRH The Grand Duchess of Lithuania (the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, which forms about half of the Commonweath has no restrictions on titles). The same fate awaited her daughter-in-law, Ludwika Karolina Sobieska, nee Radziwill, who did not betray the faith of her father and grandfather (even though said noblemen were remembered as the great traitors of Deluge infamy). So two women, being hated by the Catholic clergy, formed a sort of defense pact. Any assault on one is to be considered an attack on both, thus limiting the nobility and clergy from striking out against them, or attempting to divide the two women.
383px-Queen_Maria_Josepha%2C_Wife_of_King_Augustus_III_of_Poland.jpg

Grand Image for Grand Duchess: Sophia of Russia, the Uncrowned Queen, in her later years
In contrast to her predecessor, Sophia was highly conservative. Her refusal to wear dresses revealing too much of the skin and the Russian-style makeup with bright red painting of cheeks made her look quite a bit older than her early 30s. Her large stature (5’11 to 6’ from different accounts) also made her an imposing figure at court. Like Esther coming to save the Jews from the Persians, Sophia was determined to ease the position of her brethren in faith. However, for now she was unable to do much.
Though soon after the wedding her husband agreed to sent the missionaries to the Chinese Court request the aid of the Jesuit Ferdinand Verbiest, a close advisor and tutor to the Emperor Kangxi, who could ,hopefully, influence the peace negotiations between China and Russia, after the two-month honeymoon Jan III left for Moldavia, leaving his new wife behind in Warsaw. As the Crown Prince was left in charge of the the Government while his father was away, Queen Sophia found herself often the company of her step-son and his wife, both of hum would soon form a life-long friendship with this Russian outsider.
In her spare time, the Grand Duchess has done much research on her adopted country, mainly centered on Wladyslaw IV, whose reign is considered by many to be the Commonwealth's golden age. His reign was marked by unprecedented religious tolerance, ruined by his successors, and progressive economic policies – such as attempts to found colonies and establish a permanent navy. The policies of Wladyslaw IV quickly become what Sophia believes all Polish monarchs must ascribe to and, determined to create a legacy for herself beyond "heretic Queen", searches for ways to implement these plans.

Meanwhile, down in Moldavia, the situation is becoming more and more bleak. During the previous year the Polish were focused on reinforcing their positions, but things have turned into a waiting game. Unless the Turks are willing to throw thousands of troops at Moldavia and the Right-Bank Ukraine (thus voiding Russian efforts at Ochakov and attempts to blockade Crimea) the main obstacle is old Constantin Cantemir, Prince of Moldavia. The Prince, already 75 years old, wishes to die on the throne. Thus the Prince supported the Turks, while making repeated assurances of respect towards Jan III, even hinting that he is willing to name Jan's son Alexander as his heir.However by this point, the Poles have successfully established control over the northernmost regions of Moldavia and have gained the support of ranking Moldavian nobles, including Metropolitan Dosoftei (who has had long conversations with his potential Prince, probing the young man’s willingness to convert to take the throne) and even Antioch Cantemir, son of Constantine, who seeks to become the power behind the throne for the young Polish Prince.
The extremely hot weather also favors the Turks preventing the King from taking Iaşi – the Turks simply burned the city when Jan III attempted to capture it. After the loss of Transylvania the Turks are desperate to maintain their hold on Moldavia, and only the blockade of Crimea has prevented them from sending in their Tatar allies.At this point it seems as though Constantin Cantemir will soon be replaced with a more “ready to act” monarch by the Ottomans, and the League's half-hearted support of the Poles may turn into no support at all, as the League's attention turns towards the Balkans and an invasion of Cyprus. Ironically the only League forces at his disposal are 8,000 Protestant troops, led by the Swedish Count Palatine Adolf Jon II of Kleeburg (the Count having distinguished himself by saving the Polish King’s life during the retreat from Iaşi, when the Turks sent a few cavalry squadrons to intercept and capture Jan III), so having a Protestant (and stubborn in her faith) daughter-in-law might end up being a help rather then a hindrance.

As the year draws to a close, the future of the east is very much in doubt. While the Russians have made large gains around the Crimean peninsula, the Polish campaign has stalled, giving the Turks much needed breathing room. If the eastern campaigns don't get back on track soon, there is a reasonable fear that the Ottoman could rally and begin a successful counterattack. In fact, the only thing stopping this scenario from coming to pass is the political chaos currently dominating Istanbul. But with the campaign season at an end, all the Christian nations can do is pray that 1688 will bring the success they need.

Last edited:

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
My only question is, can the Holy League push the Ottomans permanently out of the Danubian Principalities, and I mean so that it would not lead to a reason for say, a Crimean War-esque scenario with them.

My only question is, can the Holy League push the Ottomans permanently out of the Danubian Principalities, and I mean so that it would not lead to a reason for say, a Crimean War-esque scenario with them.

Well, as for Eastern front the results so far are close to OTL with the difference being Samara defense line being finished by 1686-1687 (its completion was TTL the reason for Russia enrptering the war with Khanate) and not in 1689 as OTL, and Russian command focusing onto blockade and isolation of Crimea from the get go, so the OTL results of 1st and 2nd Crimean campaign are lumped into one.
Moldavia/Vallachia dispute between Sobieskis and Habsburg still exists, however, it will get its resolution. In interesting and somewhat unexpected way.

Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me make a map for the post Great Crusade years? I've never done one before so any help would be appreciated.