Good update, hopefully someone can step in and help avoid a future conflict.

Whats the current level of intermarriage between the Norse and Natives?

And is there a definitive list of which domesticates the Norse brought over?
Intermarriage, while it does happen, is seen as more taboo among the Wampanoag. It's allowed, but no respectable/high ranking/noble skræling is really interested in intermarring the Norse. This, of course, will change down the line, but not for a hundred years at least.

The Norse have brought goats (like Icelandic Goat), cows (Icelandic cattle), dogs (Icelandic sheepdog, Norwegian Buhund), chickens (Like Jærhøns), sheep (Like Icelandic Sheep and theSpælsau breed), and cats (Like the Norwegian Forest Cat).

Why is intermarriage so looked down on? It's kind of strange that the Norse would accept to be admitted to the Wampanoag as second class citizens? The Norse are walking a very thin line, if they don't find a way in ingratiate more tightly into the Wampanoag they are going to be in real trouble.

Why is intermarriage so looked down on? It's kind of strange that the Norse would accept to be admitted to the Wampanoag as second class citizens? The Norse are walking a very thin line, if they don't find a way in ingratiate more tightly into the Wampanoag they are going to be in real trouble.
The Norse are more accepting of it because they are very much aware of just how much they're out numbered population wise.
And sorry, I think I worded it wrong earlier. Intermarriage is frowned upon by the sachems and Wampanoag nobility, as opposed to the everyday hunter or craftsmen. My bad!

As for why is frowned upon,a lot of it is more or less the whole "marry your own race" kinda thing. I thought it would be a tad unrealistic if there wasn't at least some push back by some of the Wampanoag tribes. And another reason is the resentment over the merger with Botnborg. Some of the lower sachems, and their family, fear the rise of influence if the Norse settlers.

The Norse are more accepting of it because they are very much aware of just how much they're out numbered population wise.
And sorry, I think I worded it wrong earlier. Intermarriage is frowned upon by the sachems and Wampanoag nobility, as opposed to the everyday hunter or craftsmen. My bad!

As for why is frowned upon,a lot of it is more or less the whole "marry your own race" kinda thing. I thought it would be a tad unrealistic if there wasn't at least some push back by some of the Wampanoag tribes. And another reason is the resentment over the merger with Botnborg. Some of the lower sachems, and their family, fear the rise of influence if the Norse settlers.
I wonder what European explorers in the future will think when they find a light-skinned tribe that has tales of a tribe of pale men arriving from far off and joining their group?

I wonder what European explorers in the future will think when they find a light-skinned tribe that has tales of a tribe of pale men arriving from far off and joining their group?
They'll probably be too distracted by the metal weapon wielding Wampanoag army to wonder about the skin tones.

Won't the technology spread to other tribes?
The Norse have brought goats (like Icelandic Goat), cows (Icelandic cattle), dogs (Icelandic sheepdog, Norwegian Buhund), chickens (Like Jærhøns), sheep (Like Icelandic Sheep and theSpælsau breed), and cats (Like the Norwegian Forest Cat).
This was my thought. The Norse have, in essence, kicked off the Iron Age in the American Northwest (which didn't progress beyond the Copper Age OTL). In addition, they have also introduced a number of domesticated animals which will do an amazing job of progressing the overall development of cities and the industrial development and output of the region (cattle are amazing for farmwork). When coupled with the improvements in Native farming practices (The Three Sisters), at least a few areas in the Americas might actually be able to catch up to Europeans by the time Columbus and the other Europeans show up.

Of course, the introduction of domesticated animals will also introduce a number of diseases which the natives have no immunity to. That will depopulate the continent most likely, but with a 500 year time period before the introduction of more Europeans, that population might be able to recover and might even undergo a technology jump (like what happened in Europe following the Black Death), where the population decrease forced a fundamental shift in societal values.

It might be interesting to see the Norse's influence outside of the Wampanoag, especially with the rising Iroquois Confederacy to the west (which might have formed as early as 1142 according to historians). The introduction of settlements and European ideas of property might also help to develop European-style nation states (though this might be a stretch).

I am sure the other tribes will begin to figure out that it was the Norse who are responsible for the massive shift in technology and tactics of the Wampanoag. And when that happens, I wonder if there will be raids just to try and capture a few to teach the mysteries of metal working, not to mention military tactics.

The sheer alieness of the shield wall must be a surprise to the other tribes and will force them to change their war tactics.

I’m sure bow technology too has seen an improvement? (And not just in iron arrowheads)

Also I see horses missing from the list. That’s huge when it comes to surviving the next wave of Europeans.

Last edited:
Also I see horses missing from the list. That’s huge when it comes to surviving the next wave of Europeans.
Very true, the plains tribes learned how to ride horses quite quickly IOTL, I don't see it being any different for the woodland tribes encountering feral horses for the first time.

Hey, just a heads up. The timeline isn't dead, I've just been buried under work at college and other issues. I'll try to have an update by October

Driftless

Donor
I’m sure bow technology too has seen an improvement? (And not just in iron arrowheads)

How much of a chicken-or-the-egg link is there between the relatively poor flight characteristics of a stone-tipped arrow and bow development? If the arrow wobbles enough in flight due to imbalance and aerodynamic quirks of the stone arrowheads, was there much of a push to develop a more powerful bow? If you are using more consistently cast or forged arrowheads where the weight and shape would be pretty much the same from one to the next, then you've reduced the variables in flight characteristics to the quality and trueness of the shaft and how well it's been fletched. Then, I'd guess there's a real impetus for an upgrade to bow design.

A plus here is that the Vikings were skilled bow makers and archers. The wildcard would be if this batch of Northmen had those particular technical skills. (I know a motorcycle when I see one, but I sure can't design and build one...o_O)

Last edited:
Chapter 13
Summer, 1086

Jarl Snorri Thorfinnssonn of Botnborg suffered from the aches and pains attributed to an old man. But he still went to every meeting held by the Great Sachem. Even if that meant he had to deal with the less then pleasant Namumpum.

Entering the meeting place of the chiefs, Snorri spotted his friend Chief Sokanon of the Mashpee Wampanoag. "Greetings old friend!" "Snorri!" the two elders embraced one another, not having seen one another in a fortnight. Another elder walked past them at a brisk pace, giving Snorri a glare of contempt. Snorri released Sokanon and watched the man pass. "Namumpum."
"Ignore that piece of dung. The Aquinnah don't trust you or your people." "They see us as interlopers," growled Snorri. "Aye, but the rest of the council doesn't trust them much either." A small twinkle shimmered in the elder skraeling's eye. It was true, most of the sub tribes of the wampanoag enjoyed the presence of the Norse people. This was probably due to more contact since Snorri's father first landed in Vinland.

"Doesn't change the fact that Namumpum and his clan hate mine. I don't like him, and his son Tisquantum is too much like his father."
"Just remember old friend, the Aquinnah still live in peace with your tribe," reminded Sokanon. "And if they do attack your tribe, we'll nail Namumpum to a cross."

Acording to the Great Sachem, the Narraganset were on the ropes. "Their warriors stone clubs are shattering on our army's shields, and their bare skin pierced by our iron blades. Reports from the field have informed us of a great victory in the southern swamps, and the conflict should be done before fall."
"What will we do with the land? Divide it among our tribes?" asked an elder. "Certainly not let it be ruled by the Narraganset!"
"Once captured from the enemy, we should fill it with settlers from all the tribes and encourage the remaining Narraganset to marry into our tribe."
"I would rather my people marry a Botnborger than a Narraganset mongrel. We do not need that... filth in our tribe." Namumpum spat into the fire. His arrogance hung over him like a cloud, forcing the other tribal leaders to scowl. Prideful was too lacking to describe the Aquinnah leader.

"If we can marry them into our tribe," began Sokanon. "We not only end their threat, but it also means we don't have to kill all of them. My father's father's father helped kill off an entire tribe in distant memory. I would rather lead us into a new age where we do not need to do this." Many nodded their heads. Namumpum drew a long breath on the pipe, the flickers of flame catching in his eyes. "You are showing weakness. We killed all of the men in Nyhöfn. We filled it with our own." He glared at Snorri. "Perhaps we shouldn't have spared the women, for now they live in Botnborg, festering like disease one gets from the big, snorting beasts they brought here."
"You are implying my people are not loyal to the Confederacy." Snorri stood as straight as he could. "My people have done nothing to betray the trust of the tribe. By God, we are now part of this tribe! We have served loyally, fighting alongside you when the invaders came, and fighting for you when the Narraganset raided your lands. No, our lands!" Snorri slapped his fist against his chest. "Any attack on the Wampanoag is an attack on Botnbotrg. And I was made to believe the reverse was also true! So if you and your people really don't like us, then by all means, attack us and drive us across the Atlantic. But just know, you won't just be fighting us pale faces."

The others nodded and smiled, glad that somebody had dared to put Namumpum in his place. The Great Sachem hid his smile behind his hand, admiring the famous spirit of Snorri. Snorri, the same man who kept peace and made friendship with his father, the previous Sachem. Snorri, the Norse Wampanoag. The white red skin. Snorri the Uniter.

The Great Sachem called everyone's attention and informed them of his decision. He supported Sokanon's proposal for enforced integration of the Narraganset instead of just wiping them out. And the meeting was then adjourned.

chapter 14
Fall, 1086

The war with the Narraganset has largely gone well with minimum losses for the Wampanoag. The power of the Narraganset has been broken in the south and settlers are starting to arrive.

As the weather gradually changed from sweltering heat to a more comfortable breezy day, Tisquantum was forced to keep the peace alongside the Wampanog army. As members from his own tribe made their way south where the longtime rivals lived for centuries, the army ensured no new conflicts took place. Scattered reports told about small bands of warriors striking at isolated camps. Any of the braves caught in the raids was killed. Weakness could not be presented to an enemy that refused to give in.

And thus, Tisquantum was stuck protecting a growing settlement named Secotan. Secotan means burning ground, so named for the charred fields from a battle months ago. The arrogant son of Namumpum sat at a table drinking a goblet of fire water. He was always careful not to drink it too much. He had seen many tribesmen ruined by it. Ever since the whites came fro across the great sea (or Atlantic Ocean as the Norse called it), the natives of his land have had to deal with the addictive quality of wine and ale, and the slow spread of diseases from their filthy animals. He hated the Norse. Almost as much as his father hated them. Why couldn't the rest of the Wampanoag see this? The Norse ruined everything. It would have been better off if they never came. If the norse had never came... Tisquantum knocked back a gulp of ale. If the Norse hadn't come, hadn't brought those disgusting pigs, his mother wouldn't have gotten sick. His mother would still live. He, Namumpum, and his mother could still be a happy family. Whole. United.

But instead he and his village lost over a hundred due to sickness. Sure, the survivors were immune now, but that wouldn't bring back his loved one. And he hoped all the Norse would suffer in the next life.