Chapter 26
1300: Deeper into the lands of the Kanien'keha:ka

The steady rhythm of feet hammering onto firm ground seemed to amplify Gunnar's fears. As the mass of men moved deeper into the lands of their rivals, Kanien'keha:ka scouts had poked and prodded the columns for weeks, inflicting small casualties in an attempt to slow down the army. They would strike at night, emerging from the shadows of fire pits to slit the throats of the unwary, like a monstrous figure from one of the tall tales the women tell their children, or a fisherman's story of what he found lurking off the cape. But the quick raids had been little more than a nuisance to the army at large. Especially now that the on the other side of the great clearing was a Kanien'keha:ka army of a similar size. Icy fear gripped his heart, his body shaking in the armor. His army continued forward. Their trot picked up speed. Gunnar gripped his spear. The mohawks pulled out bows and raised them to point at the heavens. Ivar looked up and shouted at the top of his lungs.
"Toonuppas* formation! Now!" He and every man in front of him raised their rectangular shield in a ripple of wood. Gunnar and his party raised theirs as well and closed any gaps, forming a tough carapace above them. The army bunched up, each row of men forty men wide. The Kanien'keha:ka released their nocked arrows. The sky darkened, white ash arrow shafts becoming a dark storm cloud of death, raining down upon the combined Wampanoag/Mahican army. Gunnar felt the thudding of iron and stone heads slamming into and bouncing off his shield.

The arrow volley not yet finished, the Wampanoag army began moving forward, picking up speed with each step. The front closed ranks, forming a more narrow front, shields raised as a wall while those behind the first row placed the shield overhead. Each rank of men behind them tries to overlap shields like shingles, offering protection for the whole group. The Kanien'keha:ka army tried to take up defensive positions as the Wampanoag speedily approached. While running across he field, cramped up against the rest of his party, Gunnar did his best not to stumble. He had to make a small hop over the body of a man who failed to raise his shield in time, arrow buried up to the shaft in the throat. Gunnar heard his heart beating in his ears.
"Do not hesitate," Ivar shouted. "If you are in range, you strike hard and fast. You won't get a second chance or any warnings with these savages!" That did nothing to calm Gunnar's nerves.

Like an ocean of men, a sea of fury and steel, the Wampanoag crashed against the Kanien'keha:ka rocks. Rocks are a monument to the passage of time, standing for centuries, outlasting the life around it. Long lasting and durable, they are often seen resisting the currents of mighty rivers, opposing the expanse of the ocean. But even rocks break. Under the pressure of the Wampanoag, the front line faltered, and the Wampanoag plunged in, splitting the army. As the Wampanoag wedges in between the ranks, their own ranks began to widen to further split. This pushed Gunnar to the edge as they got deeper. He saw the his allies engaging in brutal hand to hand combat, using shields to push back and spears to puncture tanned skins of the Mohawk. This was the first time Gunnar had seen a Kanien'keha:ka in full battle regalia. The average warrior was wearing leather body armor over a deer skin tunic, wide bands of iron hanging off the chest as opposed to Norse chain mail or the occasional full metal plate. The arms had hide shoulder pauldrons while the wrists were protected by leather bracers. The majority of men had a lether cap with an iron nose guard. In many hands was an iron bladed tomahawk. Gunnar pushed on, thankful for not having to stab a man yet. Then he heard the sudden panicked yells from his comrades. Looking to his left, he saw the Kanien'keha:ka rallying after the split and units from the right were wheeling around to put pressure on the Wampanoag flank. Distracted by the sight of the enemy charging, a rival warrior swung his tomahawk in a downward arc, the iron splitting the top of Gunnar's shield before digging deep into the wooden heart. Heart pumping, he pulled his shield away, hoping it would wrench the ax from the opponent. Instead, the ax head was easily torn out. Gunnar glanced down at the tomahawk, head glistening crimson, before his eyes roved to the sickening smirk of the Kanien'keha:ka warrior. Nervously looking to both sides, Gunnar realized that, though he had allies near him, he was alone, and this was his fight. And he was pretty sure he was not ready for it.

The two men began to circle one another. Gunnar raised his shield in a defensive motion as he readied his spear. He lunged forward with the intent to kill, but missed, his nerves being racked with anxiety. The spear head hit the ground, plunging into the dirt. The Kanien'keha:ka swung down and chopped the head off, leaving him with a broken shaft. Now fearful, he backed away now weaponless. He was forced to resorting to purely defensive movements, hiding behind the shield as the warrior continued to hack at it, deep gashes forming jagged edges. Gunnar leapt back and rolled. As the battle still raged on, he picked up a second shield, formerly the property of another Wampanoag soldier, before his current one disintegrated. He held them both up, like a boxer raising his hands. As the enemy came closer for another swing, he looked at the wicked edges the previous cuts had left, he had a thought as the ax head became lodged in the new shield. He slipped his arm out of the straps and with all the strength he could muster, he picked up the shield and rammed the jagged point into the Kanien'keha:ka's throat. The man from the rival tribal confederacy gurgled as blood leaked out, his eyes going wide. Gunnar grunted and pushed deeper before pulling the wooden splinter out. His heart hammering in his ears, he took a shaky step back with an uncomfortable realization.

I Just killed a man. I just killed my first man.

He struggled not to vomit, struggled not to shout, struggled to stay on his legs. Just standing there made him vunerable. A mohawk ran at him with the intention of cutting him down and scalping him, only for Ivar to grab the soldier by the neck.
"Boy! Wake up! You're gonna die out here if you don't move!" Ivar swiftly shoved the Mohawk down while raising his knee to the man's face before dropping him to the ground like a sack of fruit. He ran to Gunnar's side and shook him, only for Gunnar to stumble.
"Boy!" He watched Gunnar shakily point to the dead body. Ivar quickly understood. Looking around, he saw where the rear guard would be and began pushing Gunnar that way, trying to avoid as many enemy combatants as possible. Ivar dropped Gunnar when two enemies cornered him. They began growling and snarling, having no intention of letting them live. Ivar allowed Gunnar to slip to the ground as he pulled a magnificent two handed ax from his back, expertly waiting for the others to make the first move. Ivar swung in a wide arc, his power allowing the weapon to outright cleave the first one's head right off with a single stroke, the arc sending the ax head almost to the ground before being whipped in a circle and brought down upon the other's shoulder, biting deep into the flesh. With but a tug of the arm, the ax was freed from the corpse and Ivar tried to pick Gunnar back up, only to find he could do it himself, though he still needed aid to walk steady. He lead him to the rear group, leaving him in relative safety, where he sat out the rest of the battle. As the day became evening, the broken and battered Kanien'keha:ka reluctantly slunk away, though they had certainly given the Wampanoag army a serious black eye. Gunnar hardly noticed. His mind kept focusing on the the blood soaked shield.

1. That was very well written.

2. Ivar is a total badass in battle, dangerous to his enemies and protecting his own. Gunnar is just not ready for battle, let's see if he ever is.

3. Nice descriptions and comparisons of armors and tactics used. Medieval-ish without the knights, without horses. Makes for a distinctly different form of battle from their contemporaries in Europe. Still moving forward with innovations tho. When the time comes for reestablished contact with Europe the results will be very different from OTL.

1594512441768.png

1594513042157.png

Similar to the Armor of the Wampanoag C. 1300

1594513779873.png

While not the same color, this is close to the size and shape of the current Wampanoag shield

1594512856380.png

Not exact, but similar to a Mohawk shoulder pauldron

1594512969133.png

Minus the chain mail, this is what the iron chest bands would have looked like

Those pauldrons do look a lot like the steel ones you'd see on some steel plate armours. I guess the design principles stay the same for both materials :) which also means that as iron/steel becomes more common we'll see a pretty much inevitable move to something more like the classic plate armour - but probably not going all the way as you'd have to carry it yourself and fight in it without a horse to sit on.

I think a mix of plate and mail would eventuallybe adopted by some groups.

When getting to the mid west/great plains, I think many warriors would opt for less body armor to be lighter, probably a light chest plate over leather or something like lamellar. Especially if dog sleds are used for transportation

Chapter 27

Gunnar was sitting around the fire with Tatoson and Wamsutta, Olaf, Agnar, and Becan. While the others talked and laughed, Gunnar just sat silently on the farthest away log. It has only been a few days since the last battle, but he was still a bit shaken. He was completely aware that it was either him or that Mohawk, but that didn't make him feel any better. Ivar, instead of drilling him, was leaving him be. Said that, as a person, he needed some time to "sort out his feelings." Said it was "good for the head."

After a few days, the army was still repairing itself. The wounded were still resting in medical tents while doctors saw to them, or in some cases, priests. Agnar told Gunnar that he should go get a new shield, after all, the dead had left a lot of them to be reused. But he didn't want a new shield. This one was personal. He had marched with it since leaving home. It had shielded him from arrows, blades. It took his first life. Instead of retiring it, he took it to Ahanu with a specific request in mind.
"You want me to what?"
"I want to cover the splinters in iron to be harder and sharper."
"That's what a sword is used for, boy."
"Please? It'll be useful to me." Ahanu leaned against the wooden table that separated him and his work space and the rest of the men. He looked at Gunnar for a moment with apprehension before shrugging.
"What the Hell, give me yer hunk o' drift wood." Gunnar slowly passed over the square wood to the smith.
"I'll get this back to you in a day or two." Gunnar thanked him and left him to his work.

Leaving, Gunnar went to the outskirts of camp, watching as the sun set. The ground had been churned up by the carnage, vast dirt patches where grass and moss was uprooted by feet of Mohawk and Wampanoag. Mounds of freshly moved earth marked graves of dead Kanien'keha:ka and Wampanoag. A wooden cross stood in the field as a marker, an epitaph carved in a local stone under its solemn shadow. With a grim thought, Gunnar contemplated that he could have easily been in one of those plots. All it would have taken was a moment's hesitation. And that thought sent a shudder through him.

... And here I thought there was a new chapter up Odinson! Course you've got what, 3, 4 timelines going right now? I imagine that keeps you rather busy. Anyways, looking forward to the next update, whenever that ends up being!

Will we see mixed Viking-Indian influences in clothes, culture, warfare, armor and even religon once the Vikings settle longer in the area?

Last edited:
... And here I thought there was a new chapter up Odinson! Course you've got what, 3, 4 timelines going right now? I imagine that keeps you rather busy. Anyways, looking forward to the next update, whenever that ends up being!
4 timelines and currently in my second week of college classes.

I'm gonna try and have an update within 3 weeks (fingers crossed!)

Will we see mixed Viking-Indian influences in clothes, culture, warfare and even armor once the Vikings settle longer in the area?
Well, native fashion is somewhat adopting certain aspects from Norse (woolen cloaks, metal armor, trousers). In addition, Norse citizens are adoption some tribal clothing as well. During the colder periods, men and women have started to wear buck skin leggings in addition to their traditional clothing. Moccasins are all so popular.

Norse objects such as clothing are highly prized goods in the southern and western regions, though the more traditional Mohawks tend to shun Nordic fashion and weapons as they can make their own.

Chapter 28

Gunnar was still somewhat buried in a melancholy mood since his first major battle. Despite surviving the engagment with no physical injury to his body, his soul still felt numb. He was completely aware of the fact that it was a life or death situation, and that he had no urge to die, but that did not entirly erase the guilt he had. Part of him wondered if it was the Lord's punishment for all the womanizing he had done, for if not for his last sexcaped, he wouldn't have been chased into the column by an angry ax weilding father Hell bent on taxing revenge on the young man who took his daughter's honor. The other members of his war party, who had grown accustomed to his cheerful demeanor, took notice of his change in demeanor. When the Wampanoag and Mohican armies moved on from the temporary camp, Gunnar's mood did not improve. His comrads sympathyized with him, Ivar especially.

After a day's march, Ivar steered Gunnar to a lone clearing, informing the reluctant soldier that he needed help foraging. Ivar used this opening to talk to Gunnar. As Gunnar prepared to draw back the
Bow string, Ivar spoke aloud.
"You feel guilty, don't you?" Gunnar's focus shifted from a deer in the distance to his party leader. Ivar continued.
"The man you killed. You don't feel right. You feel guilty. Your insides feel twisted up." Gunnar lowered his bow, the arrow pointing to the ground.
"And that's understandable. Killing a person, especially your first, should never be easy."
Opening and closing his mouth, Gunnar didn't know what to say. He finally found his words.
"I never wanted to hurt anybody. I just didn't want to die." Tears started to swell up in the corners of his eyes. "I want to go home."
"Most of us don't like the killing. We're here so people like you don't have to, and it's a shame you got caught up in this."
Gunnar wiped at his eyes reluctantly. "I'm stuck here though."
"Only until the end of the campaign. Look boy, I'm not going to lie to you. This is dangerous. But I'm not going to let you get killed. You'll make it home. I promise that." Gunnar looked to him.
"Why are you doing this? Looking after me?"
"Truth is, you remind me of my brother."
"I didn't know you had a brother."
"I used to. He was a trader. Used to sail from Botnborg to the powhatan."
"Oh. ...What happened to him?"
"He and his crew decided to try and cross the Atlantic. No boat has gone past Reykjavik since the first of my ancestors came here. Never even made it past the cape before a storm wrecked his boat. Nobody came back."
"I'm sorry."
"That was thirty years ago. Perhaps I thought that if I looked after you, I could make up for not stopping him." Ivar smiled a bit at him. "You're a good kid." He looked up at the sky.
"We should probably head back. Come on, boy."

For the first time in days, Gunnar smiled a little.

Gunnar was still somewhat buried in a melancholy mood since his first major battle. Despite surviving the engagment with no physical injury to his body, his soul still felt numb. He was completely aware of the fact that it was a life or death situation, and that he had no urge to die, but that did not entirly erase the guilt he had. Part of him wondered if it was the Lord's punishment for all the womanizing he had done, for if not for his last sexcaped, he wouldn't have been chased into the column by an angry ax weilding father Hell bent on taxing revenge on the young man who took his daughter's honor. The other members of his war party, who had grown accustomed to his cheerful demeanor, took notice of his change in demeanor. When the Wampanoag and Mohican armies moved on from the temporary camp, Gunnar's mood did not improve. His comrads sympathyized with him, Ivar especially.

After a day's march, Ivar steered Gunnar to a lone clearing, informing the reluctant soldier that he needed help foraging. Ivar used this opening to talk to Gunnar. As Gunnar prepared to draw back the
Bow string, Ivar spoke aloud.
"You feel guilty, don't you?" Gunnar's focus shifted from a deer in the distance to his party leader. Ivar continued.
"The man you killed. You don't feel right. You feel guilty. Your insides feel twisted up." Gunnar lowered his bow, the arrow pointing to the ground.
"And that's understandable. Killing a person, especially your first, should never be easy."
Opening and closing his mouth, Gunnar didn't know what to say. He finally found his words.
"I never wanted to hurt anybody. I just didn't want to die." Tears started to swell up in the corners of his eyes. "I want to go home."
"Most of us don't like the killing. We're here so people like you don't have to, and it's a shame you got caught up in this."
Gunnar wiped at his eyes reluctantly. "I'm stuck here though."
"Only until the end of the campaign. Look boy, I'm not going to lie to you. This is dangerous. But I'm not going to let you get killed. You'll make it home. I promise that." Gunnar looked to him.
"Why are you doing this? Looking after me?"
"Truth is, you remind me of my brother."
"I didn't know you had a brother."
"I used to. He was a trader. Used to sail from Botnborg to the powhatan."
"Oh. ...What happened to him?"
"He and his crew decided to try and cross the Atlantic. No boat has gone past Reykjavik since the first of my ancestors came here. Never even made it past the cape before a storm wrecked his boat. Nobody came back."
"I'm sorry."
"That was thirty years ago. Perhaps I thought that if I looked after you, I could make up for not stopping him." Ivar smiled a bit at him. "You're a good kid." He looked up at the sky.
"We should probably head back. Come on, boy."

For the first time in days, Gunnar smiled a little.
short, but really sweet...I like

The way you manage to make this TL so much more human is brilliant, and I love it

Beautiful as always! Every time I realize you've posted a new chapter, it makes my day :)

I think these short chapters, at such a human scale, are wonderfully evocative - it really makes the world come alive, when you trace the stories of people living in it.

so is this thread going into the modern day?
1603243207681.png

To be honest, ... probably (?)

I'm trying to figure out future plots and stuff and I'm trying to figure out what the heck will happen in 1492. Maybe the Europeans show up? Maybe the Wampanoag sail to England and act like reverse Vikings?
IDK, I'm still trying to figure it out and I want it to be good cause I know people like this timeline and I don't want to mess up/jump the shark or whatever.