A True October Surprise (A Wikibox TL)

That '76 election is epic!!!
This is so awesome.

Thank you both.

Damn, 16 straight years of Democrats, followed by a very reasonable man. Nice. I assume Roe v Wade (or whatever its equivalent might be called) still went the same way? What does the ideological makeup of the court look like?

Yes, Roe v. Wade went the same way as OTL. The ideological make-up is pretty well to the left, which makes sense with all but two justices (Brennan and Potter Stewart) being appointed by Democrats. A majority of justices are viewed as on the left or left-leaning at this point (1977).

Also, I thought I commented already, but well done! I'm intrigued to see where this goes. Any chance you'll eventually venture into international elections?

I found it interesting that Vice President Muskie won the nomination. I guess he did not cry in the snow.

Why? Muskie was the incumbent president and every president who ran for (re)election since Arthur up to this point ITTL has gotten their party's nomination.

Also, since the 1972 primaries were vastly different than OTL, Muskie never even ventured to New Hampshire in the primary campaign.

Neat. That's all.

Also, I thought I commented already, but well done! I'm intrigued to see where this goes. Any chance you'll eventually venture into international elections?

Thank you both.

I do aim to do a post (or two) on other countries from the POD to 1980 after another post about the presidential term from 1976 to 1980.

Part 6: Bush Presidency (1977-1980)
Despite Bush's convincing victory, the new president faced an uphill struggle. The Democrats still controlled Congress despite Republican gains in the congressional races in 1976 and the new president quickly ran into a brick wall after the Congress rejected his spending reduction that had been a key part of his campaign. The summer of 1977 passed with Congress and the president fighting viciously over Congress' repeated rejections, for the most part, of Bush's economic agenda. By fall 1977 however, a compromise was reached. Bush, to the fury of several of conservatives in the party, largely acceded to letting Congress run domestic affairs while he exercised the president's traditional prerogative of almost unrestrained handling of foreign affairs.

Although aided by one of the most capable Secretaries of State of the Cold War era in Richard Nixon, Bush faced a challenging term on the international stage. His shift away from Humphrey's enthusiastic support of Israel had led Egyptian President Anwar Sadat to agree to United States-brokered negotiations with Israel. However, negotiations broke down in a spectacular fashion due to the personality differences between Sadat and his Israeli counterpart, Menachem Begin, embarrassing the president. Bush also was in charge when South Vietnam, despite massive American aid ever since the withdrawal of combat troops in 1970, finally fell to the North Vietnamese advance in late 1977. Finally, in 1979, the Shah of Iran, a strong American ally in the region, was toppled in a revolution. The ensuing vacuum of power in Iran destabilized the region and Iraqi strongman Saddam Hussein took the opportunity to march into the oil-rich province of Khuzestan, adding Iraq to the growing Iranian civil war.

Bush, for the most part, handled the crises well. In Iran, the president adopted a "wait and see" approach, although following the Iraqi invasion in 1980, Bush and Nixon began to seek international support for a stabilization force to be sent to the region and attempted via back-channels to convince Hussein and the leaders of the various Iranian factions to come to the peace table. But the president's true triumph was the long-overdue recognition of the People's Republic of China, something that the United States had pointedly refused to do since the PRC's victory in the Chinese Civil War over 25 years ago. China itself was undergoing a transition after the death of Mao Zedong and Bush's outreach accelerated the ouster of Mao's successor, Hua Guofeng, in favor of reformist Deng Xiaoping.

Domestically, the economic picture brightened a bit. Bush's relaxation of environmental standards, while infuriating environmentalists, increased domestic oil production. This, alongside the Arab world's reluctant end to the post-Yom Kippur War reduction in oil trade to the United States in exchange for military support for their regimes following the Iranian Revolution, largely offset the rise in global oil prices following the invasion of Khuzestan in the United States.

The end of the 1970s saw the culmination of the poisonous mix of politics and religion that had been brewing since the 1960s. First, an increasing number of evangelical Christians had, urged on by fundamentalist pastors and activists hoping to reverse the legalization of abortion, women's liberation and other changes brought about in the 1960s had returned to the political sphere for the first time in two generations. These "values voters" pushed a hard-right agenda that was greatly at odds with both the political establishment and the cultural milieu of most Americans, especially those outside the south. Attempts by this group to push its way into the political mainstream were largely unsuccessful when campaigns began in 1980.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, the saga of the People's Temple movement, a new religious movement influential in the left-wing haven of San Francisco ended in tragedy. Leader Jim Jones could count on the support of most of the San Francisco establishment as well as a few Bay Area legislators before 1978. But that year, the truth of the People's Temple emerged after FBI investigators looked into the group: it was a malicious cult and Jones, far from the spiritual man he claimed to be, was a drug-addled deviant who proclaimed himself to be Jesus Christ incarnate. Following Jones and several other prominent People's Temple members' indictments, a shootout and subsequent siege occurred at the main temple in San Francisco. Six days later, the vast majority of the surviving occupants, over 450 in total, committed suicide after being told to by Jones (who also committed suicide).

peoplestemple.png

Last edited:
Interesting TL but I hope it doesn't go too Demwank

TL's that go too right or too left tend to get dull IMHO

Or too dystopian/utopian for that matter (The former especially). Murphy's Law tends to get tiresome and unrealistic after a while.

Also, Lord Cadeus this is an amazing timeline and an inventive way to go about telling the story of this timeline. It seems a Humphrey victory in 1968 is an underused POD that hasn't been explored in much detail.

For those who are interested here is a less realistic (but still somewhat interesting) timeline of a Humphrey Presidency:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/spiritualist/hhh01.html

Quality work as always, LC. A blue South Dakota in '76 sticks out, though, as does a blue OR with a red WA. I also don't know if CA is ripe for a D win in an election they're losing badly in. What are your reasonings behind those results?

Or too dystopian/utopian for that matter (The former especially). Murphy's Law tends to get tiresome and unrealistic after a while.

Also, Lord Cadeus this is an amazing timeline and an inventive way to go about telling the story of this timeline. It seems a Humphrey victory in 1968 is an underused POD that hasn't been explored in much detail.

For those who are interested here is a less realistic (but still somewhat interesting) timeline of a Humphrey Presidency:

Agreed on dystopia/utopia

Interesting TL but I hope it doesn't go too Demwank

TL's that go too right or too left tend to get dull IMHO

Thanks. I don't have plans for it to be a wank or anything of the sort. But I imagine that the political spectrum will be more to the left than it is IOTL by the time I plan to wrap the TL up in the 2016 election (indeed we have near-UHC in the US by 1976) simply because of the knock-on effects of having Humphrey as president and Bush instead of Reagan as the first Republican in the new system that's developing.

Thanks.

Also, weird coincidence that TTL has the same three post-LBJ presidents as in the TL you linked. Although I don't think that we'll be seeing a Libertarian Party getting 10% of the popular vote ITTL's 1980 election.

Quality work as always, LC. A blue South Dakota in '76 sticks out, though, as does a blue OR with a red WA. I also don't know if CA is ripe for a D win in an election they're losing badly in. What are your reasonings behind those results?

South Dakota- This one was a super close election and Muskie only won it by a sliver. That was also with a huge Native American voting turnout since Humphrey's economic policies are hugely popular among natives.

Oregon & Washington- Oregon again only *barely* went blue and that was with a strong push by the Muskie campaign in the west coast late in the campaign.

California- Muskie got a very energized Democratic base in California, largely as a reaction to Reagan's chosen successor, Edwin Reinecke, who continued Reaganism in California without Reagan's sunny personality and disposition. Even then, it was another nail-biter and if the election had been closer, you can bet it would have been challenged in court.

Part 7: United Kingdom & Canada (1970-1975)
...In Great Britain, the beginning of the 1970s saw the Labour Party firmly in control over the reins of state. Following the exit of the United States from combat operations in Vietnam, Prime Minister Harold Wilson made a conspicuous show of being present for negotiations, earning himself the reputation as a peacemaker. This earned Labour another majority government in 1970, an election which saw the effective end of the Liberal Party, which was left with only three seats following the election.

Wilson's third parliamentary term was not to be a pleasant one. Northern Ireland had exploded into violence and the conflict between the largely Protestant Unionists and the largely Catholic Republicans began racking up higher and higher body totals despite the presence of British troops and the suspension of the Protestant-dominated Northern Irish government. Inflation also had continued to rise throughout the period, something that the government was unable to fight with spending cuts owing to an increasingly bold trade unionist movement periodically threatening industry-wide or even general strikes if domestic spending was reduced.

Not even British entry into the European Economic Community in 1972 could erase the economic malaise that had engulfed Britain and Wilson resigned following a series of by-election losses in 1973. His successor, James Callaghan, found himself with limited success in dealing with inflation. His limited success in Northern Ireland (where a power-sharing agreement was reached until it fell apart later in the decade) and the successful referendum on keeping Britain in the European Union (as the EEC had been renamed in 1973) did little to persuade British voters to keep Labour on and in 1975, the Conservatives under William Whitelaw won a slim majority government...

uk1970.png

...The craze of "Trudeaumania" fizzled out in Canada quickly after the eponymous prime minister's rocky first term. Despite enshrining official bilingualism and taking a firm stand against separatist terrorism in Quebec, the lackluster economy and constitutional wrangling in an unsuccessful attempt to patriate the Canadian constitution in 1971 saw the Liberals reduced to a minority government in 1972. Trudeau's government was propped up by support from the New Democratic Party and a slight turnaround in fortunes (as a result of increased American reliance on cheaper Canadian oil following their falling from favor in the Arab world) was enough to give Trudeau a solid majority government in 1974, aided by a poor campaign from the Progressive Conservatives under Robert Stanfield. The New Democrats, as a result of voter switching to the Liberals, fell below official party status, winning only nine seats.

Last edited:
Before anyone asks, the only other countries as of now that I will likely be doing consistent international updates on are the UK and Canada.