A True October Surprise (A Wikibox TL)

"Humphrey picked former Associate Justice Arthur Goldberg, who Johnson had persuaded to resign in order to get Fortas on the Court, to replace Fortas, and the Senate approved, making Goldberg the first justice to serve non-consecutive terms on the court."

Not true. What about Charles Evan Hughes?

"Humphrey picked former Associate Justice Arthur Goldberg, who Johnson had persuaded to resign in order to get Fortas on the Court, to replace Fortas, and the Senate approved, making Goldberg the first justice to serve non-consecutive terms on the court."

Not true. What about Charles Evan Hughes?

Whoops. I guess when I was looking at the list of justices to see if Fortas would be the first justice to serve on the court more than once I missed Hughes since he was made chief justice for his second stint.

This may be a little late, but what would've happened if Humphrey's cancer had not returned?

I never considered an option for Humphrey's cancer to not return, because it was inevitable that it would. Humphrey had a biopsy done in 1967 (pre-POD) when he first had symptoms of bladder cancer and only one of the eleven doctors that his personal physician consulted recommended that his bladder be removed at that point (a radical option, but one which would have prevented the cancer from returning and spreading), and so Humphrey decided to go with the consensus opinion.

As a hypothetical, if Humphrey had *somehow* managed to live long enough and be healthy enough to serve out his second term, there would be some serious knock-on effects down the road. Just for 1976, though, Muskie would have been a weaker candidate without the status of being an incumbent president and would actually have to contest the primaries seriously (which in turn means that there would be practical experience of a contested post-1968 Democratic primary campaign for any candidates to experience, making it completely different from TTL's 1980 contest) and I'd have to say that Bush's victory margin would be even higher as a result (and because it would be easier for the GOP to make the case that they would be a clean break with the past 16 years with an incumbent president unable run again).

I mentioned this on TAS, but I figured I would say it again on the main thread, this is possibly my favorite TL of all. It's so fascinating and enjoyable to read. Also, I'm a sucker for a more liberal America (especially with a liberal SCOTUS). Let's not forget having to look up a lot of the people mentioned! All in all, a great read and fantastic piece of work LC.

Also, I have a question. Looking back on ATOS, is there anything you would change?

Thank you. It's always nice having your work praised.

Anything I'd change? Perhaps have always made Whitelaw the planned successor to Wilson in Britain and maybe have some more obscure OTL politicians rise to prominence.