A True October Surprise (A Wikibox TL)

this is fairly amazing, I just re-read it all again, really well done

I sense another UK election due soon? before the OTL one?

Thank you.

Yes. If you look at the 2010 infobox, the next election takes place in 2014.

So the Libertarian wing took over this timeline's NRA in the 1970s all the same?

No. LaPierre isn't an NRA member ITTL and the group of which he's a member is one solely dedicated to loosening gun laws.

Hmm, I don't know how much you've fleshed this out, but perhaps it could be that the old guard won in the NRA power struggle, and the organization remained about gun safety, responsible gun ownership, and gun culture taking into account the first two. And perhaps the group you're describing could be the result of the Libertarian wing of the NRA breaking off and forming an independent organization.

Hmm, I don't know how much you've fleshed this out, but perhaps it could be that the old guard won in the NRA power struggle, and the organization remained about gun safety, responsible gun ownership, and gun culture taking into account the first two. And perhaps the group you're describing could be the result of the Libertarian wing of the NRA breaking off and forming an independent organization.

I didn't really bother fleshing it out because the history of the gun rights movement isn't really *that* important to the TL, but I'd imagine the group that brought suite would be a splinter of a splinter of the OTL "libertarian" faction that took over the NRA in the mid-1970s (copying the pattern that extremist groups tend to fall into when one portion feels that the current group doesn't go far enough).

Interlude: Richard Nixon
Not an update, just posting this infobox I had done quite a while ago and couldn't find a way to put in an update.

XjyoCea.png

Cool stuff. I'm liking the timeline even more than before. I wonder how the 2016 midterms will go - though I expect the Democrats to win more races than Republicans.

Cool stuff. I'm liking the timeline even more than before. I wonder how the 2016 midterms will go - though I expect the Democrats to win more races than Republicans.

Also, Vice President Castle will be too old to run for President. This means we get an open primary for Republicans as well as Democrats.

The 2016 congressional elections won't be midterms since there will be a presidential election as well to elect Riley's successor.

Might I ask where you store your images before linking them here lord caedus? Do you use Flicker, Photobucket, or something else?

I'm confused about the Soviet Union, when did it break up? And how? Also did anything like 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina happen?

I'm confused about the Soviet Union, when did it break up? And how? Also did anything like 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina happen?

The Soviet Union only partially broke up. Gorbachev was forced to allow the Baltic states to hold referendums to leave as part of the Bern Accords (since everyone except the Soviets and maybe the North Koreans & Cubans considered the WWII-era occupation and annexation of them illegal). All three voted to leave, so the USSR at the end of the TL consists of the OTL USSR minus Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

And no to both.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to Czechoslovakia? Did it break up in this TL or not? I don't think you've mentioned it.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to Czechoslovakia? Did it break up in this TL or not? I don't think you've mentioned it.

Czechoslovakia was mentioned alongside the other Eastern Bloc countries as throwing off communist rule by 1989. It did break up like IOTL within a few years following de facto independence from Soviet rule.

Who were the successful Democratic candidates in Georgia and Kentucky (& NC for that matter?)

GA- Michelle Nunn
KY- Jack Conway*
NC- Bev Perdue

I'm not going to go into detail over who won what seat in either this post or in (spoiler) the 2016 congressional infoboxes since plenty of those seats would include ATL figures (especially in several House districts by 2016) and the specific winners are not really important to the main gist of the story.

*-Conway was technically born post-POD but his mother was pregnant with him prior to the October 1968 POD so I figured that he wouldn't be butterflied away.

Part 42: Canada (after 2009)
Despite winning a third consecutive majority for his party, John Manley's fortunes had finally begun to wane as his government entered its ninth year. The Progressive Conservatives' selection of Manitoba MP Brian Pallister to replace Mike Harris became a major problem for Manley's continued leadership, as the "Blue Liberal" prime minister faced, for the first time in his term, an opposition leader who could take away soft Tory voters who voted Liberal out of disagreement with Harris' hard-right policies. Added to this was Manley's continued unpopularity in Quebec and serious concerns that if he continued as leader a combination of Quebec voters choosing the UDQ over the Liberals could jeopardize the Liberals' future election prospects and it was no wonder that Manley was persuaded to announce his retirement as Liberal leader and prime minister in late 2010.

As part of the informal Liberal tradition of rotating between Anglophone and Francophone leaders, the party chose Minister of Justice Thomas Mulcair of Quebec as the new party leader. Mulcair, who like Pierre Trudeau (before him, the last prime minister to hail from Quebec) had previously flirted with joining the NDP, reversed Manley's course and pushed through measures to appeal to both Quebecers (passing a motion that formally recognized Quebec as a 'distinct society within Canada' and mandating that a certain percentage of ministries be reserved for Francophones and non-Anglophones) and left-leaning voters (including increasing funds for post-secondary education, supporting net neutrality and pushing the provinces to raise employer contributions to the Canadian Pension Plan).

By the time Mulcair decided to call for new elections in 2013, the Liberals still held a lead over the Progressive Conservatives, but it looked increasingly likely that the Liberals would lose their majority and Canadians would have their first minority government in nearly 20 years.

LOndnop.png

On Election Night, a happy surprise greeted the Liberals as their party came out with a small majority of three seats. The UDQ, already facing an uphill struggle with a native Quebecer leading the Liberals, ran a disastrous campaign, with very public disputes between the party and local riding associations over candidate selections that caused many UDQ-leaning voters to switch to the Liberals. As a result, the UDQ lost all of their seats to Liberal candidates, leaving the party without any members of the House of Commons for the first time since 2001.

The UDQ wipeout mostly offset the Liberals' loss of seats to the PCs (mostly in Ontario and some Atlantic ridings) and the NDP (mostly in the western provinces) as both other major parties made gains. Despite this, Mulcair has rode high since the Liberals' fourth straight majority, the first such occurrence in over one hundred years (Wilfrid Laurier's Liberals had been the last to accomplish this, winning their fourth straight majority in 1908). His government has again made Canada one of the global leaders in fighting climate change and has introduced several bills that would bolster the national safety net. However, polling indicates that Canadians are finally beginning to tire of the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives have had a slim lead in the polls as it becomes closer to the traditional period to call for new elections...