A Light Shines East: The World of a Christian Persia

You know, I just realized something.

Christianity never went west TTL, so even with the Turkic migrations you won't see Crusades happening in the OTL direction. How would that affect the cross-pollination of ideas between Europe and Asia?

Also, regarding the alt Arab conquest of Persia:

A regional "golden age" can still happen

Arab rule will last for some time BUT will probably fracture this time without the doctrine of obedience to the Wadi al-Amr and Caliphate.
This is what I have planned. The Arab conquests ITTL will turn out more like the conquests of Charlemagne, Alexander, or Ghengis Khan IOTL where the empire fractures after its founder dies.
In Iran and Central Asia, I think we will see

- a number of apostilic revivalists revolts by Persian notables

- they get crushed, but due to the decadence spreading across the Arab elite, they increasingly rely on Turkic mercenaries to secure Persia.

- eventually, charismatic turkic mercs will go their own way, align with the Persian apostilic church, form their own Iranian dynasty, and portray themselves as culturual revivers of Persian identity + apostilic church.

- and like OTL i think there will be a familar ish pattern of the dynasties changing, with perhaps an alt Seljuk like Chrisitan Turko-Persian state

- the Turks in the steppes slowly get christianized, but this takes time

- the Turks will also have elements go to Anatolia as OTL, challenging hellenic elements there. the Anatolian Turks, not unlike OTL, will be Persianized (to an extent), perhaps even moreso than OTL due to Christianity being heavily influenced by Persia.
This will probably happen ITTL. Even if it doesn’t happen exactly as you describe it, something akin to this will still happen and the Apostolic Church will regain control of Persia once the Arabs are forced out.
In MENA:

Arabization won't really happen like OTL imo without the strong Arab centrism of Islam. If anything, gradually the Arab elite will adopt local ways.

However, as in OTL, I do think Turks will supplant and replace arab elite. Especially because same mercenary problem will happen.

A strong independent Egyptian identity retained?

Both apostolic churches and their revivals may become intellectual centers, as Islamic universities did in OTL in MENA, and as Christianity institutions of all sects did in Europe
While some degree of Arabization might happen in Mesopotamia and the Levant due to Arabs moving into the region, Egypt will definitely keep its own independent identity ITTL. The Arabic language ITTL won’t have anything near the prestige that it has in the region IOTL. Aramaic will be the liturgical language and lingua franca, while Persian and Coptic will be the most prestigious secular languages. Arabic will simply be the language of a peripheral desert tribe who briefly managed to establish their own empire before assimilating into Persian and Egyptian culture.
You know, I just realized something.

Christianity never went west TTL, so even with the Turkic migrations you won't see Crusades happening in the OTL direction. How would that affect the cross-pollination of ideas between Europe and Asia?
While the Crusades as we know them won’t happen ITTL, there will still be trade between Europe and Asia. In general, Europe is much more peripheral ITTL due to the lack of a unified religious or cultural identity, with Asia instead having a much more dominant role.

Christianity is going to end up dominating all of Africa I think. OTL it already dominates the south and ITTL with Islam not rising, it will take the north as well.

As for where else it spreads I think it will go from Persia into basically all of Central Asia as well as possibly Nusantara, replacing Islam there as well.

Europe is looking to be dominated by the Greco-Roman and Norse pagan pantheons but it’s possible Russia swings to Christianity.

Christianity is going to end up dominating all of Africa I think. OTL it already dominates the south and ITTL with Islam not rising, it will take the north as well.

As for where else it spreads I think it will go from Persia into basically all of Central Asia as well as possibly Nusantara, replacing Islam there as well.

Europe is looking to be dominated by the Greco-Roman and Norse pagan pantheons but it’s possible Russia swings to Christianity.
It dominates the south due to Western colonialism and proselytising. With no Christianity in Europe, this will be very different.

It dominates the south due to Western colonialism and proselytising. With no Christianity in Europe, this will be very different.
And we have Persian South Africa.

I just don’t think Greco-Roman and Norse paganism is going to beat local paganism and religions in Africa. Historically the Abrahamic faiths have proven best at doing that while pagan religions tend to syncretise

And we have Persian South Africa.

I just don’t think Greco-Roman and Norse paganism is going to beat local paganism and religions in Africa. Historically the Abrahamic faiths have proven best at doing that while pagan religions tend to syncretise
The same process likely still happens, just that it will be spread to Africa by a different proselytizing colonialist.

Ttl's Christianity seems weaker(?) I wonder what stopped Christianity from spreading in Nusantaran Region and what do they mean when they mention Nusantara, Just otl Indonesia/Malaysia? Or does it Include everything in Maritime Southeast Asia? Also will Crusades even happen here especially since Roman Empire just fractured apart? There's too many surviving Pagan religion ittl too. What happened to the Roman Christians? There's just way too many pagans to Crusade here. I have so many questions XD.

Interesting.
What happens to the Jews?

I haven’t fully decided what will happen to the Jews yet, but it will probably be at least somewhat better than what happened OTL.

While I don’t want to spoil too much, the main Zoroastrian influence on TTL’s Christian theology will probably be more dualistic themes and likely the adoption of a few Zoroastrian practices. I could also see Persian Christians in particular emphasizing the Three Magi and the Old Testament’s favorable portrayal of the Achaemenid Empire.

Ezra-Nehemiah could be seen as big as Isaiah is in OTL. The Feast of the Epiphany would be only below Christmas and Easter in terms od liturgical importance.
Coming in late to this, but a Christianity that initially takes root in Persia instead of Rome would emphatically not blame Jews for deicide. Instead, the Romans would be blamed, as the actual government which killed Jesus and oppressed both Jews and Christians. This would lead to a much more positive relationship between Christianized Persians and Jews that, compounded with the historical good relationship between Zoroastrian Persians and Jews (Cyrus the Great etc.), would make ITTL Christians way less antisemitic than it was OTL.
Some heresies lasted longer than others. The schismatic Marcion, who claimed to be a follower of Saint Paul, founded the heresy that would bear his name. He claimed that the God of the New Testament was separate from that the Old, with that of the New being the benevolent true God and the Old being a malevolent false god. While Marcion’s heresy would not last, his ideas would. While the Apostolic Church came to dominate in Parthia, in the lands of the Romans, the heresy of Valentinus dominated. The Valentinian heresy was persecuted by the Romans, as were all Christians, but the heresy of Valentinus would thrive elsewhere. The Syrian-born Valentinian who would come to be known as Abu Majid, whose real name is lost to history, would spread his heresy among the Arabs. Thus would ultimately become the permanent schism between the Apostolic and Gnostic Churches[1].
And with the seeds of Marcionist antisemitism planted in the rival Church, the Apostolic Persians would be even more encouraged to double down on pro-Jewish concepts. Perhaps we will see an early development of Two Covenants theology and a diminishing of Pauline antiJudaic theology in Persia.

But this would likely mean that Gnosticism spreads to Ethiopia and throughout Africa, unless Ethiopia develops as it did OTL.
The Apostolic Church, however, would gain a sizable following in Mesopotamia. The Apostolic Church would gain its own unique place in Parthian society. The Epistle to the Persians, written by Saint Kaveh, claimed that the Zoroastrian Ahura Mazda was the same as the Judeo-Christian Yahweh as he was known to the Persians, and that only through Christ could salvation be reached. The Church would continue to grow throughout the Second and Third Centuries until the day finally came; the day when Christianity would become the state religion in Persia.
Put some pro-Judaic theology in Saint Kaveh's Epistle put some pro-Judaic theology in Saint Kaveh's Epistle cmon cmon cmon!

Edit:

Shapur, like his father before him, was a Zoroastrian, however, he would eventually come into contact with the Patriarch of Ctesiphon, Mar Mani[1] of Babylon. Mar Mani would become an important member of the Sassanid court. Mani would write the Shabuhragan, or Book for Shapur, explaining the already established Church doctrine that Ahura Mazda was simply the Christian God as known to the Persians, and how Cyrus had freed the Jews from captivity in Babylon and how the three Zoroastrian Magi cisited the baby Jesus. Therefore, Mani argued, Christianity was simply a continuation of Persia’s ancient history, and that conversion to Christianity would be the logical endpoint of the Persian revival that began under Ardashir.

Shapur would finally be convinced after seeing a vision of the cross after his victory against the Romans at the Battle of Rasaena[2]. Shapur would then be baptized by Mani by the waters of the Jordan River, giving himself the title “King of Kings by the Will of God.” Although Shapur himself wa now Christian, he declared that Christianity, Judaism, Mandaeism, and Zoroastrianism would all have co-official status under the Sassanids. In Shapur’s mind, all four of these religions could trace their origins to the same God, and thus all deserved to be recognized by the Persian state. However, heretics of all four religions were brutally persecuted. Now that Shapur had converted, the world would never be the same again.

[1]The deicide canard used against the Jews IOTL is instead applied to the Romans and their successor states
Yesssssss

Last edited:
Ttl's Christianity seems weaker(?) I wonder what stopped Christianity from spreading in Nusantaran Region and what do they mean when they mention Nusantara, Just otl Indonesia/Malaysia? Or does it Include everything in Maritime Southeast Asia? Also will Crusades even happen here especially since Roman Empire just fractured apart? There's too many surviving Pagan religion ittl too. What happened to the Roman Christians? There's just way too many pagans to Crusade here. I have so many questions XD.
Christianity will spread ITTL, especially when the Arab and Turkic invasions begin. As for the spread of Christianity to Nusantara, that is yet to be revealed. Trust me, there will be crusades ITTL. The Christian Persians are bitter enemies with the pagan Palmyrene Empire. The Roman Christians are still there, mostly in Egypt and the Levant, but since many of them don’t belong the the Persian Apostolic Church, they’re taking their chances with the Palmyrenes who view them as a nuisance at worst and some weird cultists at best as opposed to the Persians who view them as heretics to be set on the “right” path.
Put some pro-Judaic theology in Saint Kaveh's Epistle put some pro-Judaic theology in Saint Kaveh's Epistle cmon cmon cmon!
Saint Kaveh’s Epistle is mainly addressed to the Zoroastrian Persians, and so it doesn’t really mention the Jews much except when referring to Jesus’ life. However, TTL’s Persian Christians aren’t very anti-semitic, viewing the Jews as misguided brothers at worst and instead blaming the Romans and their successor states for the death of Christ.

I wasnt refering to the guptas tho, my point was that the shaivists were non-abrahamic yet possessed the trait you spoke of(believing in one supreme god above others, though not necessarily that other deities were false) and persecuted buddhists like Souvikkundu mentioned, with the hunnic invasions leading to the gupta collapse. And that could be in theory prevented here if there's a persian sartrap in the way of their invasions in say Bactria as its unlikely the christian persians(who arent the OTL christian europeans) would be any more aggressive to the indians than the zoroastrianists(who also believed in a "One True God") were since their focus would be serving as a base for persian power in the region(while Persia proper fights against Rome & its other enemies) rather than be constantly launching holy war against buddhists like Mihirkula did but if we follow OTL by keeping the abrahamics out of the question because we dislike them(which is odd since this is a TL about a Abrahamic Persia) then India most likely will undergo the same level of devastation it did IOTL at the hand of these invaders(who, again, werent abrahamic).
Shaivists(at least in Northern India) didn't persecute the followers of what we now consider other major Hindu deities, their main targets were for most of the time Buddhists. Shashanka, king of the Gauda dynasty was a staunch Shaivist and was the only North Indian ruler capable of challenging Harsha's rule. According to ancient texts, he had once respected Harsha, who was also a Shaivist at that time, and even had considered submitting to him as a vassal ruler but he started hating Harsha with a passion after the latter's conversion to Buddhism, he murdered Harsha's brother-in-law and captured his sister. He was also the one to cut down the main trunk of Bodhi tree. Shaivist of North India didn't have as many conflicts with the Vaishnavas and the Saktyas as their South Indian counterparts.

Zorostrians (Sassanids) never ruled Northern India, their easternmost satrapies were Gandhara, Taxila (which they later lost) and what we consider today as southern Baluchistan and everything west of Indus. As for my arguments, they are not about whether a Christian dynasty ruling India is possible or not (considering the OTL), it is based on the issue if conversion of majority of Indian (or north Indian) population to Christianity is logically possible or not, to which my answer is no.

As for my arguments, they are not about whether a Christian dynasty ruling India is possible or not (considering the OTL), it is based on the issue if conversion of majority of Indian (or north Indian) population to Christianity is logically possible or not, to which my answer is no.
I wasnt arguing so much for the possibility of it so much as saying that christian persecutions(in particular persian ones) are not necessarily a inevitability and if there was a christian dynasty in India(not arguing wheter its plausible or not, I think it is as plausible as OTL Islam's success or lack of there) it could serve as a buffer against the future hunnic invasions
their main targets were for most of the time Buddhists.
Yeah that was what I was arguing
My point was that shivaists persecuted buddhists, so persecution isnt just a inherently abrahamic thing as they also did that and better than No Christians in India would be for the buddhists to play the christians and shivaists against each other, thus avoiding the persecution of the later while the former is too busy fighting against them and serving as a sartrap of Persia to think about targeting hindus or buddhists
Zorostrians (Sassanids) never ruled Northern India,
Didnt the Indo-Parthians do so? At least the area around Bactria I mean

Didnt the Indo-Parthians do so? At least the area around Bactria I mean
Bactria is in north of the HinduKush, around the Amu Darya, quite far from India proper.
Indo-Parthians did rule North-Western India, but they were pagans, and they worshipped a combination of Hindu, Persian and Greek deities. An intricately syncretic faith.
Yeah that was what I was arguing
My point was that shivaists persecuted buddhists, so persecution isnt just a inherently abrahamic thing as they also did that and better than No Christians in India would be for the buddhists to play the christians and shivaists against each other, thus avoiding the persecution of the later while the former is too busy fighting against them and serving as a sartrap of Persia to think about targeting hindus or buddhists
As, I said, even if the Buddhists don't play the Christians and Hindus against each other, North India is still open for an invasion if there is no powerful polity present in the Northern part of the subcontinent.
I wasnt arguing so much for the possibility of it so much as saying that christian persecutions(in particular persian ones) are not necessarily a inevitability and if there was a christian dynasty in India(not arguing wheter its plausible or not, I think it is as plausible as OTL Islam's success or lack of there) it could serve as a buffer against the future hunnic invasions
A state based on religion is going to be intolerant especially when in a situation where a minority rules over a majority, but as seen in OTL, although there would be conversions, but the number would still be in minority.

but they were pagans, and they worshipped a combination of Hindu, Persian and Greek deities. An intricately syncretic faith.
True, but there were just as much zoroastrian elements to them as hellenic ones, it heavily depended on who was in charge at the time
North India is still open for an invasion if there is no powerful polity present in the Northern part of the subcontinent.
Indeed
A state based on religion is going to be intolerant especially when in a situation where a minority rules
I think that depends a lot on the state and how much leverage it has over the population
For example
The mongols were tengrists ruling over buddhists, rather than force their religion down their subjects throats they ended up converting
Likewise some(but definitely not all) muslim states prefered to stick to the jizyah and leave their subjects alone because that was more profitable than try forced conversion on them
Overall I think there's no difference whatsoever between a state based on religion and one not based on that other than the principles it claims to follow, as we've seen persecutions sponsored by secular and atheist states occur time & time again ever since the French Revolution took place
What I think we can agree on is that an state, wheter religious or not, will try to push and impose said principles into their lawmaking and by extension their population

True, but there were just as much zoroastrian elements to them as hellenic ones, it heavily depended on who was in charge at the time
Zoroastrianism during Sassanid rule had turned into Monotheism and that's what I mentioned and even during the Parthian rule, it was never oppressive as Parthians were religiously tolerant over the subjects they ruled.
I think that depends a lot on the state and how much leverage it has over the population
For example
The mongols were tengrists ruling over buddhists, rather than force their religion down their subjects throats they ended up converting
Likewise some(but definitely not all) muslim states prefered to stick to the jizyah and leave their subjects alone because that was more profitable than try forced conversion on them
Overall I think there's no difference whatsoever between a state based on religion and one not based on that other than the principles it claims to follow, as we've seen persecutions sponsored by secular and atheist states occur time & time again ever since the French Revolution took place
What I think we can agree on is that an state, wheter religious or not, will try to push and impose said principles into their lawmaking and by extension their population
There are many factors and while I wish to write as much as I can, I don't think I'll be able to explain it all in even 1000 words.

Mongols were conquerors and till the time conquests continued so long did they remain a follower of the Eternal Sky and when they finally settled in their conquered lands, they found out that accepting the religion of their subjects would make it far easier for them to be accepted by the populace.
Muslim conquests were different, for one Mongols didn't conquer in the name of religion, it was never their main agenda; but this was different for Muslims, they kept their faith in highest and wherever they went, they considered it their divine ordained duty to spread their faith (not different from Christianity).
And for most of the time, rulers used religion as a means to fulfil their goals, just like Mahmud Gajnavi or Mughal Emperor Aurangjeb.
very true, it all comes to politics, as long as it benefits the rulers.

It is unknown exactly when Judaism arrived in the Axumite Empire, but it has gained a sizable presence by the Third Century of the Christian calendar. In the year 315 of the Christian calendar and 4075 of the Jewish calendar, the Axumite Emperor Zaqarnas would marry a Jewish woman named Gudit. While Zaqarnas would remain pagan his whole life, his and Gudit’s children were legally Jewish under Halakhic law. Unser Zaqarnas’ and Gudit’s son Mehadeyis, Judaism would gradually become the established religion in Axum.
!!!!!!!!
Why did Zaqarnas marry Gudit? Was it to pacify her ongoing rebellion?
Axum’s conversion to Judaism led to an increased attention towards the faith in Christian Persia. While the Persians saw Judaism as preferable to paganism, they saw it a simply a step before the Axumites became Christian, something that never happened. As Axum developed its trading empire, Persian Jews came to be viewed with increasing suspicion. Despite this, the Axumite and Sassanid Empires generally maintained good relations.
How does Axumite Judaism, now the state religion of an empire far from the Levant and predominantly populated by non-Jews or converts, develop differently than Judaism elsewhere?
And what happens to the Jews and Christians in Italy and Iberia? There were sizable communities of both OTL in the first few centuries of the common era.
In general, Christianity, like other Abrahamic religions, has iconoclastic tendencies.
What a relief haha
An interesting side-effect is that “western civilization” as we know it simply will not exist. Not only does Christianity never rise to prominence in Europe ITTL, but the concept of a united European civilization won’t exist ITTL. Instead, there will be a Hellenic civilization in Western and Southern Europe, a Germanic civilization in Central and Northern Europe, a Slavic civilization in Eastern Europe, etc., that all view each other as completely separate and distinct.
So is there a distinct concept of Europe as separate continent from Asia? Or does this TL avoid that arbitrariness and lets a "Eurasian" continental conception develop?
Saint Kaveh’s Epistle is mainly addressed to the Zoroastrian Persians, and so it doesn’t really mention the Jews much except when referring to Jesus’ life. However, TTL’s Persian Christians aren’t very anti-semitic, viewing the Jews as misguided brothers at worst and instead blaming the Romans and their successor states for the death of Christ.
Neat!

!!!!!!!!
Why did Zaqarnas marry Gudit? Was it to pacify her ongoing rebellion?
TTL’s Gudit is a fictitious individual who happens to share a name with someone who laid waste to the Axumite Empire IOTL.
How does Axumite Judaism, now the state religion of an empire far from the Levant and predominantly populated by non-Jews or converts, develop differently than Judaism elsewhere?
And what happens to the Jews and Christians in Italy and Iberia? There were sizable communities of both OTL in the first few centuries of the common era.
Axumite Judaism is similar to the form of Judaism practiced by the Beta Israel IOTL.
The Jews and Christians of Italy and Iberia mostly keep to themselves and stay out of the eyes of the authorities. Relations with their pagan neighbors are cordial at times and persecutors at others, depending on who happens to be in power at the time.
So is there a distinct concept of Europe as separate continent from Asia? Or does this TL avoid that arbitrariness and lets a "Eurasian" continental conception develop?
The concept of Europe as separate from Asia predates the POD, so probably yes. However, “Europe” ITTL is likely seen as a purely geographical term rather than a cultural one.