A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

How close is the CSA to defect at this point?
Not sure who they are supplying their armies in the field at this point with ammo and food.

The Army of Northern Virginia is in real supply trouble. Artillery ammo after Berryville is now in short supply. Generally I imagine that the South is on the verge of serious trouble. They only have what the produce or have stockpiled in the areas still controlled by them east of the Mississippi. There is little or no blockade running except from Havana (only the Spanish haven't been disgusted by recent events).

Without Richmond their problems increase (although the rumours about not being able to produce cannons without Richmond appear wrong - I have read several books recently which refer to cannon works in Georgia, particular around Atlanta).

With one supply depot captured, and the ANV doing quickstep south to avoid the AoP pursuit (disorganized as it may be), supply is going to be a huge issue. Purely military items like ammunition must be severely depleted (Lee had enough "stuff" for one battle before Pipe Creek) and one of the benefits of campaigning in the north for the ANV was to live off the enemies land/food supply.

The ANV has a long way to go before they get to a secure area, and at least for the moment they have to move smartly which limits their ability to forage for supplies whether in Pennsylvania before they leave or in the valley. Very soon they are going to have to decide about what gets pulled by their ever-weakening (and reducing in size) horses/mules - a supply wagon or a cannon and limber? Straggling and outright desertion will be a huge problem, and more and more wounded will have to be abandoned. If doctors stay with the wounded, that robs the ANV of a precious and very limited resource, if wounded are left behind (even with sympathetic locals) but without medical personnel and supplies it will be even more devastating for morale than leaving them behind with support (bad enough).

Just like OTL after Gettysburg the ANV is now past it's "peak", however here the angle of the downslope is much steeper. The ANV is rapidly becoming a shell and if and when what's left gets to North Carolina it will be minimally effective and in need major reinforcement, reorganization - and the CSA has neither new manpower nor equipment.

OTL large parts of NC were Unionist - wonder if this will cause problems for the ANV.

Without Richmond their problems increase (although the rumours about not being able to produce cannons without Richmond appear wrong - I have read several books recently which refer to cannon works in Georgia, particular around Atlanta).

Looking through Warren Ripley's Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War between Virginia and New Orleans the SCA has lost a lot of its capacity. Ripley indicates the following:

Atlanta Naval Ordnance Works - "Made projectiles & ordnance stores primarily."
Augusta Foundry and Machine Works [Ga.] - "Manufactured cannon, projectiles and had a very extensive powder works."
T.M. Brennan - "Nashville, Tenn., company which made iron cannon."
Briarfield Arsenal - "Selma, Ala., facility cast a few field weapons before being turned over to the Navy and becoming the Selma Naval Ordnance Works."
Selma Naval Ordnance Works - "Produced Brooke Rifles for the Navy although many wound up in Army service."
Cameron, Taylor & Johnson - "Charleston, S.C., firm which made a very limited number of wrought iron guns."
Columbus Naval Iron Works - "Columbus, Ga. ... [P]roduced at least one weapon, a 2.75-inch breechloader."
Noble Bros. & Co. - "Rome, Ga., foundry cast bronze and iron field calibers."
Quinby & Robinson - "Memphis, Tenn., firm made brass field calibers."
Rice & Wright - "Florence, Ala., company reported to have made a number of 24-pounder howitzers, probably iron, siege, and garrison models."
Skates & Co. - "Mobile, Ala., firm which rifled a number of heavy pieces and produced field calibers."

I have omitted any arsenal or manufacturer not listed as having produced cannon. Ten manufacturers of various sizes, four of them in Georgia.

Does anyone know what the picture was like for raw material? One hears about the issues producing armor but what were the sources for bronze and iron?

do CSA industry have the raw materials to make ammo or weapons left?

"
One of the most important sources of ordnance supply for the armies of the C. S. A. were the lead mines of Southwestern Virginia. These mines, which were discovered in 1756 by Col. John Chiswell, were about 9 miles South of Fort Chiswell at Austinville, in the County of Wythe, Virginia, and commonly called the Wytheville mines. They had been operated at various times and in 1860 were taken over by Union Lead Mining Co.
Shortly after the war began the C, S. A. Government demanded that the management either work the mines to their full capacity or turn them over to the C. S. A. government for operation. The directors of the Union Lead Mining Co. chose to operate them for the Richmond Government.
Importation of lead from overseas could not be counted on to provide a steady supply of lead although the Secretary of War did report on December 10, 1864 that 12,546 pips of lead estimated at 1,507,000 pounds had been supplied through the ports of Charleston and Wilmington.
Apparently the Wytheville mines supplied one fourth to one third of the lead used by the C. S. A.
These mines were operated for the C. S. A. continuously until General Stoneman and his force of Federal raiders succeeded in damaging them in a raid on December 17, 1864. Limited production was afterwards resumed but Stoneman again raided the mines on April 7, 1865 which was the end of production."
http://www.cincinnaticwrt.org/data/ccwrt_history/talks_text/clancy_cs_finance.html

are the Wytheville lead mines, the salt works of Smyth County and Tredegar Iron Works at Richmond, Virginia still under CSA control?

Last edited:
Are the Wytheville lead mines, the salt works of Smyth County and Tredegar Iron Works at Richmond, Virginia still under CSA control?

They are still under Confederate control. South western Virginia (the area south and southwest of Lynchburg are the Confederacy's only remaining foothold in Virginia.

However with the Army of the Potomac marching south and the Army of the James marching on Lynchburg to cut off Longstreet and Jackson, it may not be for very long...

I will finish off the last campaign in the east in '63 shortly. I will then look at Hooker, Grant, Hardee and Bragg in the fall of '63. After I will deal with the homefront for both sides. Then role on the spring campaigns and the election of 1864!

So the CSA loses the war just like OTL.
It would be interesting to see what the Reconstruction Era if President Lincoln is not killed.
I could see him being elected 4 times and starting a New Deal like the 1930s.
It is interesting to note that President Lincoln did not set up a nation bank.
if he did as some wanted the national bank would have printed the green bank and the government borrowed the and paid interest to pay for the war.
President Lincoln thought it was better for the government to print the money them selves and not have to pay interest on it.

In the OTL after the new silver mines were found there was big fights over the amount of gold standard versus a gold and silver standard.

Coinage Act of 1873
The Fourth Coinage Act was enacted by the United States Congress in 1873; it embraced the gold standard, and demonetized silver. Western mining interests and others who wanted silver in circulation years later labeled this measure the "Crime of '73"[1]. Gold became the only metallic standard in the United States, hence putting the United States de facto on the gold standard.
220px-Survival_of_the_Fittest.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coinage_Act_of_1873

are there going to be Fenian raids on Canada.
Between 1866 and 1871, the Fenian raids of the Fenian Brotherhood, who were based in the United States, on British army forts, customs posts and other targets in Canada, were fought to bring pressure on Britain to withdraw from Ireland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian_raids

Last edited:
So the CSA loses the war just like OTL.
It would be interesting to see what the Reconstruction Era if President Lincoln is not killed.
I could see him being elected 4 times and starting a New Deal like the 1930s.
It is interesting to note that President Lincoln did not set up a nation bank.
if he did as some wanted the national bank would have printed the green bank and the government borrowed the and paid interest to pay for the war.
President Lincoln thought it was better for the government to print the money them selves and not have to pay interest on it.

In the OTL after the new silver mines were found there was big fights over the amount of gold standard versus a gold and silver standard.

Coinage Act of 1873
The Fourth Coinage Act was enacted by the United States Congress in 1873; it embraced the gold standard, and demonetized silver. Western mining interests and others who wanted silver in circulation years later labeled this measure the "Crime of '73"[1]. Gold became the only metallic standard in the United States, hence putting the United States de facto on the gold standard.
220px-Survival_of_the_Fittest.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coinage_Act_of_1873

I have given a great deal of thought to the economic and financial policy of the following presidential terms. I have a timeline of cabinet appointees sketched out. But we a bit of time before that happens!

We still have to find out:

• The fate of the French Intervention in Mexico;
  • The nature of any Peace between North and South;
  • The participants and result of the Presidential election of 1864;
  • The role of the US military in post-war political life;
I will also touch on future foreign policy and the "American Adventures" of the 1860s and 1870s in Europe, Africa and Asia

I have given a great deal of thought to the economic and financial policy of the following presidential terms. I have a timeline of cabinet appointees sketched out. But we a bit of time before that happens!

We still have to find out:

• The fate of the French Intervention in Mexico;
  • The nature of any Peace between North and South;
  • The participants and result of the Presidential election of 1864;
  • The role of the US military in post-war political life;
I will also touch on future foreign policy and the "American Adventures" of the 1860s and 1870s in Europe, Africa and Asia

I could see president Lincoln doing Bismark style social welfare and continued high tariffs.

"Bismarck introduced old age pensions, accident insurance and medical care that formed the basis of the modern European welfare state. His paternalistic programs won the support of German industry because its goals were to win the support of the working class for the German Empire and reduce the outflow of immigrants to the United States, where wages were higher but welfare did not exist.[8][9] Bismarck further won the support of both industry and skilled workers by his high tariff policies, which protected profits and wages from American competition, although they alienated the liberal intellectuals who wanted free trade.[10][11]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_state#Germany

Not what I would do. I think Lincoln would have.
It would be nice to see former slaves get better protected than they did in the OTL and some thing do to stop the Jim Crow laws.

Do the American indians still have Custer and 7th Cavalry to deal with?

Would be nice to see the Indians getting a better deal.

Chapter Eighty-Two Kill Them All and Let God Judge Them
Chapter Eighty-Two

Kill Them All and Let God Judge Them

From “The Blue Eyed Prophet of War” by Robert Lee Thomas
Carlotta Press 1906

"The Army would march with the Federals at their heels from Berryville to Staunton without any further serious threat. Yankee cavalry skirmished constantly with Stuart's horsemen, and the Army of the Potomac dogged their every step, but since Berryville the two armies had not been close enough to battle...

At Staunton General Longstreet showed his first indecision. His initial instinct had been to march south to the safety of Confederate held territory in south west Virginia and North Carolina, but several voices rose up in favor of marching east towards Richmond and Petersburg via Monkfish Gap. The optimists in the army, and there were still several in senior positions, thought they might resupply from captured Union supplies in middle Virginia...

It was not to be. Stuart's scouts reported a large formation of Union infantry near Charlottesville marching on Waynesboro. Kearny had used the captured and restored railroad to transport his negro janissaries as far as Gordonsville. Elements of Williams' XII Corps followed...

As the army moved south Stuart's scouts reported alarming news. There were Union troops dug-in at Whites Gap and Robertson Gap blocking two routes to Lynchburg. It was the Army of the James..."

From “The Life and Letters of John J. Peck” by John Watts de Peyster Jr.
Buffalo 1892

"General Peck had pressed on by forced marches. When he reached Lynchburg there were no reports of the rebel host. The Army had beaten the rebels to the door of the Shenandoah...

With but two corps, each missing a division, General Peck knew his four divisions/twelve brigades would struggle against the Army of Northern Virginia in the open field so he resolved to blocked the passes and gaps. The ground itself would help negate the rebels advantage in numbers..."

gen-peck_11592_sm.gif

General John J. Peck was resolved to crush the Army of Northern Virginia

From “The Fighting Lambs – The Army of the James” by Geoffrey T. W. Werner
Radical Press 1928

"At Balcony Falls the rebels saw the might of the Army of the James assembled in prepared positions on the eastern bank of the North River blocking the crossings.

The artillery of both the VII and XVIII Corps would keep up a sharp fire on the rebels which would ultimately drive them off..."

From “The Blue Eyed Prophet of War” by Robert Lee Thomas
Carlotta Press 1906

"In truth Jackson and Longstreet would have risked a confrontation but their supplies of artillery ammunition were near exhausted and many regiments only had such ammunition reserves as were carried on the soldiers persons...

General Jackson concurred with Longstreet that Jackson would take his "foot cavalry" and try to secure Petits Gap. Lynchburg was clearly in Federal hands so the new destination was the railhead and depot at Danville...

A.P. Hill's Light Division had secured the Gap before the Federals had realized Jackson had gone. Jackson's troops encamped at the hamlet of Liberty while he waited for Longstreet's main force to catch up..."

From “The Life and Letters of John J. Peck” by John Watts de Peyster Jr.
Buffalo 1892

"Realizing the rebel force had side stepped his obstacles Peck sent a message to Kearny. "I understand the Rebel Army is of more value to the so called Confederacy that this Army of the James is to our nation... I mean to move against Lee [there were only rumors of Lee's injury in Union circles at this time] in the open field and try to deal his army a blow from which it will not recover...even if it costs me this army". On receipt of the message Kearny is supposed to have emerged from his tent clutching the missive exclaiming to Reynolds and his staff "Johnny Peck has style. He means to kill them all and let god judge them for the damn rebels they are". The Army of the Potomac would redouble its efforts to catch up with the Army of Northern Virginia...

General Peck was already on the move. The Army of the James would match Jackson's foot cavalry and exceed Longstreet's force by marching through the night to the banks of the Little Otter River and a village called Liberty..."

banner-of-the-third-u-s-colored-troops-an-african-american-regiment-in-the-civil-war.jpg

Colors of the Third United States Colored Troops who led the attack

From “The Fighting Lambs – The Army of the James” by Geoffrey T. W. Werner
Radical Press 1928

"Gilmore's I Division of Wright's VII Corps would lead the attack deploying all three brigades in line and advancing. The first troops to wade across the shallow river were the proud men of the 3rd United States Colored Regiment in Israel Vodges brigade. Behind Gilmore Nagle deployed his II Division troops likewise and advanced in support...

Further south it would take longer for General Foster to get his II Division, under Palmer, and III Division ("the Black Division") under Phelps, into position to attack...

For once the rebel General Stonewall Jackson had been caught by surprise. His scouts had overestimated the depth of Little Otter River. Furthermore Jackson knew, with Longstreet, he outnumbered the Union force. He did not expect to be attacked that morning..."

6b5d8f8e0560dab450c04bae2cfd21e1.jpg

William H. Morris' Brigade advances

From “The War Between the States” by Otis R. Mayhew
Sword & Musket 1992

"For the numbers involved the Battle of Liberty would prove the bloodiest engagement of the Civil War. Although Jackson's force at Liberty, his four divisions of Hill, Ewell, Winder and Early, plus Hood's Division of I Corps outnumbered Peck's Army of the James (William Birney's III Division of VII Corps was further north with the Army of the Potomac and the I Division of XVIII Corps garrisoned Petersburg and the surrounding area) Jackson's troops were critically short of ammunition.

The battle would occur in relatively open fields in daylight. The presence of the largest number of negro troops yet deployed in a major engagement by the Union army only seemed to excite elements of the rebel army to greater feats of courage, determination and bloody minded endurance. Needless to say the negro troops were eager to prove their mettle...

The numbers of killed to wounded and captured was abnormally high. In what was for sometime a stand up static firefight, and later as rebel ammunition ran out, a brutal hand to hand contest, neither army had much stomach or opportunity to take prisoners. It is one of few engagements where ample evidence exists on both sides that wounded men were shot or bayoneted in the heat of battle...

Years later General Jackson would say that "after every battle a man says "that was the hottest fight I was yet in" and believes it true. In all my years in Mexico and the late war I know that the hardest fight I ever saw was at Otter River [Liberty to the Union]"...

The bloody contest would last all day. The initial stalemate turned as Longstreet's troops arrived. Late in the afternoon General John B. Hood led his division of Texans, Georgians, Alabamans, South Carolinians and Mississippians in an effective flanking attack which forced Peck onto the defensive. As night fell Peck disengaged his army, concluding he had done enough damage and drew off towards Lynchburg before the remainder of Longstreet's force joined Jackson...

14063731_1445176118829627_6476378543285496084_n_1_1.jpg

Wild's "African" Brigade goes in against Ewell's Division

The Battle of Liberty would have a profound effect on the attitudes of many rebels. "I have been told by many learned men that you cannot make soldiers of slaves. And if slaves seem good soldiers, then our whole theory of slavery is wrong. Well I saw slaves fight that day and no man can tell me they were not good soldiers and brave men." (General Richard Ewell to his brother Benjamin)...

The Army of Northern Virginia would again march south towards Danville, bereft of ammunition, bereft of winter coats in the ever cooling season, and in many cases bereft of hope..."

Last edited:
Powerful

You actually brought a tear my eye with the Lambs' stand. A forced march to assume blocking positions across two gaps, blocking positions which are tested. Another forced march by night and from there into battle. Five tired, veteran Confederate divisions against four weary Union divisions. A day's fighting, degenerating into hand-to-hand combat. And at the end of it, still in such shape that it was the choice of the General commanding to withdraw (with good reason, of course). Epic.

Now that Corder has pointed out "Carlotta," it is striking. I may need to reread the excerpts from “The Blue Eyed Prophet of War.” Not quite sure what to make of:
Kearny had used the captured and restored railroad to transport his negro janissaries as far as Gordonsville.
Interesting word choice, certainly.

Magnificent decision by Peck. Cold, hard logic. Not content with forcing the Army of Northern Virginia off the road towards Lynchburg, he tears into them at Liberty. More men, ammunition, and time lost - although it appears most of the time was lost by the ANV when it was forced from Lynchburg to Danville. Has the diversion been enough to permit Kearny to close? I wonder what odds are for any substantial Confederate rearguard that turns to stand and fight. Not much left to fight with materially. If their moral is cracking...

The tone of the last paragraph leaves me wondering what I may have missed. It sounds as though the ANV is not done yet. The possibilities are intriguing.

Another great chapter KI.

A couple of general questions.

Will George Washington Vanderbilt, son of the industrialist Cornelius Vanderbilt, live? He didn't die in combat, but by an illness (what kind I do not know). As his presence might affect how his father does business in his later years with a surer hand to take over the business. His other son, William, he wasn't as confident about.

If Lincoln survives what differences in US foreign policy than OTL do you think will occur?

I like the way the rebels wouldn't stoop to calling the battle with freedmen in blue the Battle of "Liberty" but went with Otter River.

I Googled "Confederates" and "Carlota" and got a startling result which I shan't give away except to say it involves Commodore Matthew F. Maury from post 1!

If Lincoln survives what differences in US foreign policy than OTL do you think will occur?

I have planned the differences over the next 3 presidential terms in detail and have an idea about general themes. American foreign policy is going to change dramatically. In the ITL words of British Prime Minister Sir George Cornewall Lewis "Those United States have become a source of concern for the other powers. A foreign policy marked by ill-considered adverturism and ofttimes unpredictable whimsy. Who knows what flight of fancy might take President [CENSORED] next!".

A couple of general questions.

Will George Washington Vanderbilt, son of the industrialist Cornelius Vanderbilt, live? He didn't die in combat, but by an illness (what kind I do not know). As his presence might affect how his father does business in his later years with a surer hand to take over the business. His other son, William, he wasn't as confident about.

After a little research I suspect poor George has already contracted TB in the Corinth campaign before the ripples of my POD would have affected him. He is currently on leave recuperating in Nice. He will die roughly on schedule I suspect...

I think this line is much foreshadowing. Sounds like the confrontation with France in Mexico may grow hot.

When writing Jackson's opinion I was referring to his active service as a young man in the First Mexican War in the artillery. The "late war" is the Civil War/Slaveholders War depending on whether you are a Democrat, National Unionist or Liberal Republican...

I am having a hint melt down!

Prime Minister Sir George Cornewall Lewis?!
The FIRST Mexican War!
Democrat, National Unionist or Liberal Republican?
The Episcopal Cathedral in Carlota City!!!

Awesome.

After a little research I suspect poor George has already contracted TB in the Corinth campaign before the ripples of my POD would have affected him. He is currently on leave recuperating in Nice. He will die roughly on schedule I suspect...

Ah TB, yeah not much is going to help him there.