A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Actually a dozen chapters back Davis' Cabinet had a mini-coup. Breckinridge is now Secretary of War without much interference from Davis, and Joe Johnson has been appointed to a Halleck-like Chief of Staff position.

Not sure what implications that has for command of the AoNV if Lee dies. Longstreet and Jackson are obvious, but Beauregard can't be doing much in Charleston with little activity on that front.

You are right, my mistake, I had forgotten that had happened.

Chapter Eighty Virginia Mourns
Chapter Eighty

Virginia Mourns

From “A Thunderbolt on the Battlefield – the Battles of Philip Kearny: Volume III” by Professor Kearny Bowes
MacArthur University Press 1962

"Phil Kearny was not a man to rest on his laurels. His written order to John Reynolds is still displayed in the Union Mills United States Army Museum. "The Army of the Potomac is to immediately pursue the retreating rebels. Give them no rest...". Kearny also showed vision in his order to General John J. Peck and the Army of the James west of Petersburg. "The rebel army is in full retreat towards the Shenandoah...march to Lynchburg. Use your discretion to intercept Lee and trap him in the Valley...".

savages_station_field_hospital-600x374.jpg

Confederate wounded left behind at Unionstown

From "Always The General - The Life of John Fulton Reynolds" by Jed Bradshaw
Penn State 1999

"While Kearny's spirit can be seen in the orders given to the Union Army after the Battle of Pipe Creek, it is now widely acknowledged that Kearny was too weak after a day in the saddle to do more than collapse into a camp bed...​

The orders were drafted by Reynolds and merely signed by the tired Kearny, but the Kearny legend was sancrosant and his actions and orders at Pipe Creek would remain shrouded in myth for almost 100 years..."​

From “The Gray Fox – Robert E. Lee” by R. Southey-Freeman
Orange & West 1958

"Lee was rushed ahead of the army. Many if not most the wounded had to be left behind as the Union vanguard, under Daniel Sickles and his relatively fresh III Corps, pressed the rear of the army. Robert E. Lee was no ordinary patient. His arm needed immediate amputation in the view of the army's best surgeons, but an anguished Lee would not hear of stopping to operate. The risk of falling prisoner was simply too high...

It was at the village of Sharpsburg that Lee agreed to submit to the operation. Firstly he spoke to Longstreet and Jackson together alone. We know from subsequent statements that Lee delegated command to James Longstreet and asked Jackson to serve Longstreet as he had served him "as my right hand". The staff and other senior commanders then filed in as Lee formally handed over command to General Longstreet before the whole assembly. Not a few had a tear in his eye...​

Whether it was the delay in operating or Lee's instance on consulting with his senior officers before hand, he simply was not fit enough to survive the operation. Robert E. Lee died two days after the Battle of Pipe Creek during the operation to amputate his right arm at the shoulder. His last consicious words, a request widely and publicly reported, would become the new mission of the Army of Northern Virginia - "if this is my time, I pray you will take this body south. I wish to be buried only in the hallowed ground of Virginia". His last words however were reported differently by one of the surgeons attending - "It is my fault. It is all my fault..."

lee%20grave.jpg

Part of The War Memorial in the Episcopal Cathedral in Carlota City depicts a dying Lee.
The sculpture is called "The Honorable Sacrifice"

Robert E. Lee's body would be transported south, and in an unmarked grave (so as to avoid its "despoilation by marauding Yankees" according to Jackson), he would be laid to rest in Virginia's hallowed ground. His death after Pipe Creek would ensure his remembrance as one of the few rebels with a positive reputation in the decades to come. The death of David Hunter was rarely laid at his door except by the most partizan of Liberal Republicans, and the atrocities yet to come would never blacken a dead man's name...​

and the Army of Northern Virginia would go on. It harrowing march towards the relative safety of North Carolina had only just begun..."​

Last edited:
Hmmmm....atrocities. The only way to slow down the Unión army would be scorched earth tactics and no mercy for prisioners, that will not end well :eek:

Hmmmm....atrocities. The only way to slow down the Unión army would be scorched earth tactics and no mercy for prisioners, that will not end well :eek:

How different does history have to be for "atrocities"? In a Confederacy with fewer resources imagine an Andersonville liberated by the Union army. The POWs will look like the allied survivors of Japanese POW camps in WWII. Bloody hell - imagine the response. Or a siege, like Vicksburg, where the Union won't let anyone out so the Confederates let the negros starve...?

I can see the label atrocities aplied to loads of things without the need for murder or guerilla activities.

Where is this "Carlotta City" that keeps being mentioned?

I love all these hints. Rodman in the Senate and perhaps a Presidential run. Hancock and Wallace, significant together for some reason. Grant and a third war?

Short but powerful.

Reynolds impresses favorably. He was wrong-footed at Gettysburg and found himself in a bad situation at Pipe Creek, but he got the better of Lee in the earlier battle and did not do substantially worst than most commanders would have at Pipe Creek. If indeed all Kearney could do was sign Reynolds' orders, Reynolds showed considerable vision in looking to Peck. Are we seeing the benefits of Generals serving with other commands in the same theater? Broadening horizons usefully?

Strange that I never really considered Lee dying. I am definitely a Union man but Lee played such a role that his death was unexpected. No reason he couldn't die, and plenty of reasons he could. Still, it never seriously crossed my mind.

The mention of atrocities is ominous. On the other hand, Southey-Freeman (great name that) was writing in 1958, 41 years before Bradshaw and within the 100 year shroud of myth. I would be surprised if Longstreet endorsed any true atrocities.

I have less of a feel for Jackson, but what I have seen so far suggests he would see the damage to moral permitting his troops lax discipline. On the other hand, who knows how long the Army of Northern Virginia has to live. And then, there is a strong militant strain in Jackson's reference to "despoilation by marauding Yankees".

There are also plenty of other formations, and at least one subordinate within ANV capable of... anything. Is Rhett still under arrest?

Without Lee to take the lead in surrendering his army, perhaps the nightmare does follow, leaving much of the South a preserve of helots. I look forward to finding out in due course.

This very much reminded me of Lee at the Muleshoe without the cry of "Lee to the rear" or Lee shrugging it off and leading in the reserves. With Longstreet and Jackson, Ewell and A.P.Hill all being seriously injured or killed in OTL I can see Lee being injured or killed in this scenario.

As the ANV & other CSA forces retreat south, I can see real issues with Union prisoners. If they are left behind they are reinforcements for the AoP & others (IMO I think the parole system will break down), if taken along they slow up the march and suck resources. It might not take much for some units led by firebrands (who applauded the execution of Hunter etc) to decide that shooting prisoners, as well as not taking others, is the way to go. You could also see the same troops, and even other less fanatic, killing negroes who are left on farms/plantations as the owners fled or who are "contrabands" roaming around.

Even Union troops who are not anti-slavery, or those who have little love/use for negroes will be sickened and infuriated by seeing bodies of black families lying by the road, or strung up from trees...

Any partisan activity by forces not in uniform will be ruthlessly suppressed, towns burned etc - without Lee there may not be the moral force to prevent such activity.

As the ANV & other CSA forces retreat south, I can see real issues with Union prisoners. If they are left behind they are reinforcements for the AoP & others (IMO I think the parole system will break down), if taken along they slow up the march and suck resources. It might not take much for some units led by firebrands (who applauded the execution of Hunter etc) to decide that shooting prisoners, as well as not taking others, is the way to go.

Kearny, as Commander of the Armies, has already terminated the Prisoner Exchange Cartel in Post 399

Japhy

Banned
I have to say, I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of the Army of Northern Virginia being able to escape at all. Safety in North Carolina is much further away then IOTL's 1863 Invasion north. Instead I would imagine that the ANV completely disintegrates, similar to how the Army of Tennessee went after Franklin and Nashville, though with maybe a few more partisans. What's left not being an army at all, and Longstreet's job being to try and make something from the new nothing.

Overall though, Pipe Creek was a very good scene.

KI..thanks for reminding me about end of cartel, that makes the ANV problem of prisoners out front & center...leave them they are reinforcements, take them its a hassle. Since there were Negro troops at Pipe Creek, have to assume some were taken prisoner/surrendered, though may have been shot right away &/or never surrendered always fought to death...if they were taken/shot..more atrocity.

While Lee's death is a good thing "tactically" for the north, the moderating influence he had at the end of the war and afterwards was important in healing the wounds.

Chapter Eighty-One Rebels at Bay
Chapter Eighty-One

Rebels at Bay

From “The Blue Eyed Prophet of War” by Robert Lee Thomas
Carlotta Press 1906

“The relentless Federal pursuit was marked by the disorganisation of the Federal Army. Victory had confused and displaced the organisation of the Army of the Potomac as much as the Army of Northern Virginia had been by its several setbacks. While stragglers were gathered up in numbers by the Federals in the early stages of the march, it was General Jackson’s intention to restore morale and vigour to his men through striking at the unsuspecting Federals…

The bulk of Buford’s pursuing cavalry (which itself was not much given the state of his corps' worn out horseflesh) was raiding and destroying a cache of Confederate supplies at Stevenson’s Depot, so Sickles’ pursuit had a screen of but one brigade (Josiah H. Kellog’s of Gregg’s Division). It was not enough to keep track of all the various Confederate columns marching south west down the Valley…

sickles.gif

Commander III Corps, Dan Sickles

At Berryville, in broken hilly ground, Jackson turned with 3 divisions (A.P. Hill, Field and Early) and caught Sickles’ III Corps strung out on the road. As Early’s division blocked the road south, Hill and Field attacked the right flank of Sickles’ column, emerging from behind the hills and broken ground that flanked the road. The aggressive Sickles’ would not take the attack on the defensive and launched Mott’s division at Early’s road blocking force. Early’s four brigades handled Mott’s counterattack with skill and tenacity. Robert Barnwell Rhett, whom Early had allowed to command his troops despite being under arrest at General Jackson’s order, particularly distinguished himself in his brigade’s rough handling of Joseph W. Revere’s Federal brigade…

Under General Jackson’s eye Hill’s division would smash into the middle of Sickles column sweeping the division of Amiel Whipples before him (Marston’s, Piatt’s and Champlin’s brigades). Cut off from his vanguard under Mott, Sickles stood with David Birney’s division. Showing more courage than men of their ilk should, Birney’s division (Graham’s, Ward’s and Tom Egan’s brigades) held the assault by Charles W. Field’s division until elements of Stevens’ IX Corps, in the form of Orlando Poe’s division, came up in support. Sickles’ was a lucky Yankee. The attack had been blunted by the unfortunate wounding of Charles Field in the initial attack, and brief confusion, before Jackson appointed Charles Sidney Winder to the command…

800px-Stonewall_Jackson_Bendann.jpg

Jackson correctly surmised Sickles' column was vunerable to attack

General Jackson called off the attack, withdrawing from action successfully, and rejoining the march south. In his wake Sickles’ pursuit had been smashed. Scores of federal prisoners had been taken from Mott’s and Whipples’ divisions. Now Kearny had no fresh, unbloodied Federal formations to press home the pursuit…”

From “A Thunderbolt on the Battlefield – the Battles of Philip Kearny: Volume III” by Professor Kearny Bowes
MacArthur University Press 1962

“Dan Sickles’ defeat at Berryville was a setback. Of that there is no question. Sickles’ was a civilian soldier for all his rank, and with an over enthusiasm that marked his military career, he had blundered into a trap before Generals Kearny or Reynolds could arrive on the field. However he had fought valiantly against superior odds and avoided disaster. General Sickles would maintain the confidence of his friend Phil Kearny. “I will not criticise a man for going headlong at the enemy” (Kearny in a letter to President Lincoln)…

However from that point on the Kearny ensured the vanguard was accompanied either by himself or Reynolds, or was led by Winfield Hancock or Lew Wallace (in whom both Generals Kearny and Reynolds had developed increasing trust and confidence).”

From “Kearny and the Radicals” by Hugh W. McGrath
New England Press 1992

"As John J. Peck's Army of the James (minus William Birney's division) marched west towards Lynchburg and the southern gateway to the Shenandoah, he encountered several trains of rebel wounded and supplies sent south by Lee following Kearnyville, Monocacy and Gettysburg. It was in one such column of captured Union wagons that Peck's cavalry, under W.L. Elliott, found two score of captured "runaways" being returned to slavery. It took but little investigation for Peck to confirm that, while a handful of those negros taken were former slaves, the majority were freeborn citizens of the north - Pennsylvanians in the main. The officer commanding the train, a captain from Georgia, over 20 of his men identified by their former captives as their gaolers, and 2 civilians identified as "slave-catchers" accompanying Lee's army, were separated from the other rebel prisoners...

Under orders telegraphed from General Kearny, James Wadsworth, commander in Petersburg, would on receipt of the prisoners immediately execute the "slave-catchers" as un-uniformed spies under Special Order 54. The uniformed officer and his men would be held in a separate prison from other prisoners of war before being shipped north for trial. At least one attorney on Kearny's staff had suggested the prisoners be tried for slave-trading under section 5 of the Piracy Law of 1820...

While ultimately President Lincoln would pardon the 23 enlisted Confederate troopers, Captain John Hendry of Georgia would be hung, for the crime of slave trading, in Washington. He would be the second "slave trader" to be tried and convicted following the execution of Nathaniel Gordon in February 1862...

It was not perhaps a model of impartial justice, nor the proper application of statute, but his execution was celebrated throughout the abolitionist north..."

Harpers Weekly illustration of the "Slave Train"

Last edited:
After OTL's Gettysburg, the AoNV managed to slip away to fight another time.

In TTL, it looks like the AoNV is going to do the same.

The luckiest army in military history?

Great work, TKI. I'm about to go back and re-read from the beginning, which should be neat knowing what we know now about this TL's future.

After OTL's Gettysburg, the AoNV managed to slip away to fight another time.

In TTL, it looks like the AoNV is going to do the same.

The luckiest army in military history?

Great work, TKI. I'm about to go back and re-read from the beginning, which should be neat knowing what we know now about this TL's future.

Is the AoNV out of the woods yet? What if the AoJ under Peck blocks them somewhere? I need a map. Where can Longstreet exit the valley into North Carolina/Southern Virginia? Where are the bottlenecks that Peck can block if any?

So, ANV is pulling away from the Army of the Potomac. I wonder how far ahead the Confederates will have pulled if/when the Army of the James makes contact? Jackson may be ostensibly under Longstreet but he continues to exercise enormous discretion, and does so effectively. Long term, I do wonder how he will deal with a commander other than Lee.

It looks like the Fire-Eater will linger a bit longer. The abolitionists, in alliance with the ever-ruthless Kearny, may well match Rhett and his ilk blow for blow. Special Order 54 makes itself felt again. Reflecting on what we have seen, Jackson's seems a perfectly matched personality to set against Kearny.

How close is the CSA to defect at this point?
Not sure who they are supplying their armies in the field at this point with ammo and food.