A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Army of the Potomac
Leaders of the Army of the Potomac

220px-GenJFRenyolds.jpg

Commanding General of the Army of the Potomac: John F. Reynolds

The II Corps has been withdrawn from the Army to garrison Richmond and northern Virginia. With it goes John Sedgwick and its three divisional commanders, Willis A. Gorman, John C. Caldwell and William Hays. The Irish Brigade has departed with the Corps, though I trust it will return!

The Army currently guards the line of the Appomattox River from Tower Hill to almost the walls of Petersburg.

220px-WinfieldSHancock.png
220px-Doubledayo.jpg
MRPatrick.jpg
200px-John_Cleveland_Robinson.jpg

I Corps Commander: Winfield Scott Hancock, I Division: Abner Doubleday, II Division: Marsena R. Patrick, and III Division: John C. Robinson

Hancock the Superb was originally a "rival" to Phil Kearny, following McClellan's initial report of the Battle of Williamsburg which forgot almost to mention Kearny. John C. Robinson served in Kearny's Division in the Peninsula and was marked for preferment by Kearny.

240px-Daniel_Edgar_Sickles.jpg
200px-David_B._Birney_-_Brady-Handy.jpg
Mott,%20Gershom.jpg
lens19499714_13377674560-.jpg

III Corps Commander: Daniel Sickles, I Division: David B. Birney, II Division: Gershom Mott and III Division: Amiel W. Whipples

Hooker's reassignment and his recommendation has resulted in the elevation of the controversial Dan Sickles to command of the III Corps. Kearny became a friend of Sickles in the Peninsula. (Kearny is no stranger to public scandal and controversy himself). Birney is also another of Kearny's favored subordinates from the Peninsula.

200px-George_G._Meade_Standing.jpg
200px-John_Newton_%28ACW%29.jpg
250px-Brig_Gen_Joseph_Jackson_Bartlett.jpg
250px-Lewis_Wallace.jpg

IV Corps Commander: George Meade, I Division: John Newton, II Division: Joseph J. Barlett, and III Division: Lew Wallace

J.J.Barlett replaces James Wadsworth, the new commander of the Dept. South Eastern Virginia.

Humphreys.jpg
James_Barnes.JPG
200px-GenGS.jpg
Samuel_W._Crawford.jpg

V Corps Commander: Andrew A. Humphreys, I Division: James Barnes, II Division: George Sykes and III Division: Samuel W. Crawford

The profane Humphreys replaces "Uncle" John Sedgwick. Kearny has had an eye out for an opening for Humphreys since the Battle of the Rappahannock. James Barnes replaces Dan Butterfield who has left to become Joe Hooker's Chief of Staff, and Samuel W. Crawford replaces Humphreys at the divisional level. George Sykes, who commands the Regular Division, is extremely put out to passed over thus, but "Tardy" George has yet to take any formal action.

IPRodman.jpg
220px-Albion_P._Howe_-_Brady-Handy.jpg
220px-DARussel.jpg
WTHBrooks.jpg

VI Corps Commander: Isaac P. Rodman, I Division: Albion P. Howe, II Division: David Alan Russell and III Division: William T.H. Brooks

After the II Corps, VI Corps is known as a corps always in thickest part of the fray. It has therefore been a dangerous appointment for a general. Isaac P. Rodman is one of the most junior corps commanders but has been especially favored by General Kearny in recent campaigns.

200px-JLReno.jpg
220px-Isaacstevens.jpg
300px-Samuel_D._Sturgis_-_Brady-Handy.jpg
200px-Orlando_B._Willcox_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

IX Corps Commander: Jesse L. Reno, I Division: Isaac Stevens, II Division: Samuel D. Sturgis and III Division: Orlando B. Willcox

IX Corps has come through Kearny's command very lightly, only being heavily engaged in its most recent battle.

220px-Adolph_von_Steinwehr.JPG
200px-Francis_C._Barlow.jpg
5892339_120767191211.jpg
Alexander_Schimmelfennig.jpg

XI Corps Commander: Adolph von Steinwehr, I Division: Francis C. Barlow, II Division: Max Webber, and III Division: Alexander Schimmelfennig

A Corps that started out full of German '48s and Pennsylvania "Dutch" troops, it now has a mix of troops, and its commander von Steinwehr has knocked a little of the free thinking democracy out the corps and replaced it with a bit of German military efficiency. Barlow is also regarded as a severe disciplinarian.

200px-Alpheus_S._Williams.jpg
Thomas_H._Ruger.jpg
250px-George_S._Greene.jpg
220px-John_W._Geary_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

XII Corps Commander: Alpheus S. Williams, I Division: Thomas H. Ruger, II Division: George S. Greene, and III Division: John W. Geary

Another corps that has seen relatively little fighting compared with lower numbered corps. General Joseph K. Mansfield has stood down from command because of ill health.

200px-John_Buford.jpg
200px-HJHunt.jpg
240px-John_G_Barnard.jpg

Cavalry Corps Commander: John Buford, Artillery Corps Commander: Henry J. Hunt, and Chief of Engineers: John G. Barnard

General Hunt still commands the combined artillery for the Army of the Potomac and General Barnard has been appointed to command the Army's engineers. General Buford still commands 4 divisions of cavalry (2 brigades each) with a 5th on detached service. The increased Irregular activity as the Union occupies Virginia will see increasing demands on Buford to detach more elements of his command.

Last edited:
Sorry but I just love these old photos. Though its very annoying that the great site Generalsandbrevets with its amazing galleries has disappeared again.

An update on the Army of the Cumberland will follow the next update.

This is interesting. I recall that Richardson, of II Corps, had been shot in the thigh, any updates on his status? Will his injuries end up mortal as after Antietam OTL?

I have loved this timeline, incredibly detailed. Can't wait to see what happens next now that the ANV isn't tethered to Richmond.

This is interesting. I recall that Richardson, of II Corps, had been shot in the thigh, any updates on his status? Will his injuries end up mortal as after Antietam OTL?

I have loved this timeline, incredibly detailed. Can't wait to see what happens next now that the ANV isn't tethered to Richmond.

Thanks. Richardson's fate will become clear in tomorrow's update.

No Darius N Couch?

Also, what is happening in the west with Grant? And i also can't help wonder how this will effect him

Kearny removed Couch from command of the IV Corps after the battle of Ashland and replaced him with Meade. Couch has been relegated to command of the Middle Department/VIII Corps.

Updates on Grant will follow shortly.

Is Guerilla warfare more wide spread than in the OTL.and what is the Union response to it.

At this point in the war if the Main CSA armies broke up in to Guerilla units it would be very hard for the Union to win the war.

Chapter Fifty A Train From The East
Chapter Fifty

A Train From The East

From “Old Rosy - A Biography of General William S. Rosecrans” by Lemuel M. Williams
Old Miss 1961

“It was one of those mistakes that occur in wartime communications. The warnings sent by telegraph to the Army of the Cumberland had gone awry. General Rosecrans therefore received less than 24 hours notice of the arrival of “the new commanding general” by rail at Tullahoma.

The front here had remained static since the Battle of Elk River two months earlier, as Rosecrans made detailed preparations for the next stage of his assault on Hardee and an advance into Georgia…

General Rosecrans and his staff were accompanied to the station to receive General Kearny by General Thomas. Generals Nelson and Sheridan (now commanding XXI Corps following the death of General Crittenden) remained with the army…

It was, for Rosecrans, a tragic miscommunication. Major General Joseph Hooker alighted from the train. With him he carried orders from General Kearny, relieving General Rosecrans from command of the Army of the Cumberland, and placing General Hooker at its head. This was “the new commanding general” Rosecrans had hurried to meet. It was a difficult and unexpected moment for both men on that station platform…”

From “Army of the Heartland” by Col. J.T. Starke
University of Tennessee

“The Army could be forgiven for thinking that neither Washington nor General Kearny had any faith in its leadership because General Hooker did not arrive alone from the East. A bevy of “eastern” generals were aboard: Generals Dan Butterfield (Hooker’s new chief of staff), William F. Barry (Chief of Artillery), Lawrence P. Graham (Chief of Cavalry), Gouvernor K. Warren (Chief of Engineers), Jacob D. Cox, Hiram Berry and Regis de Trobriand (all three to be appointed to divisional commands – Berry and de Trobriand at General Kearny’s personal recommendation). Finally from a rear carriage, amidst a cloud of oaths and blasphemy, General Israel B. Richardson was assisted onto the platform and onto his crutches. “More fit for duty than a great many whole men they have here” General Butterfield later observed…​

Hooker did not just carry orders relieving Rosecrans. General Nelson was ordered back to a “sub-department” in Kentucky to manage its defences and encourage recruitment. General Alexander McCook was also relieved and ordered back to Ohio to “await further orders”…​

Sheridan was returned to XX Corps but to serve as its commander. Berry and de Trobriand were assigned to command its II and III Divisions. Richardson was to command XXI Corps.​

But it was not all bad news for the Generals of the Cumberland. Hooker carried a number of promotions in his pocket. William B. Hazen was to have I Division and George P. Buell the III Division of XXI Corps. Gordon Granger was promoted to command XXIII Corps, with Jacob D. Cox replacing him as commander of its I Division. A half dozen colonels were also to be promoted to Brigadier General, including Anson George McCook and Hans Heg…”​

From “Fighting Joe Hooker” by Herbert Walter
Buffalo 1999

“Hooker had feared a hostility to this radical change in command, and the replacement of old Cumberlanders with Eastern veterans. Indeed in some quarters there was resentment. Many staff officers were put out of office by the shake up. Many hopes of promotion had been dashed. Yet the remaining leadership of the Army of Cumberland set an example by staying above any suggestion of “hostility”.​

George Thomas gave no outward indication of any frustration at being passed over for the command that had once been offered to him. It was simply not in his nature. There were few more honorable subordinates.​

Sheridan has not lost out in the reorganisation and indeed now commanded his “own boys” as part of XX Corps. Granger had benefited from his promotion to replace his former “dangerous, incompetent commander” (Dan Butterfield’s assessment of William Nelson’s tenure as commander of XXIII)…​

General Kearny himself is said to have noted “I rely on Hooker’s own spirit to charm those Cumberlanders, and if not his spirit in camp then his example in battle.” General Dan Sickles believed that “Fighting Joe and Dan the Pistol [Daniel Butterfield] will be just to the taste of those rough hewn western boys”..."​

Last edited:
Army of the Cumberland
Leaders of the Army of the Cumberland

220px-Joseph_Hooker_-_Brady-Handy--restored.jpg

Commanding General of the Army of the Cumberland: Joseph Hooker

The Army has sat with its forward outposts on the Sequatchie River between Stevenson and Bridgeport but has not advanced further while Rosecrans built up supplies in Tullahoma and awaited reinforcements.

220px-George_Henry_Thomas_-_Brady-Handy.jpg
200px-GenLHRousseau.jpg
JasSJackson.jpg
Reynolds,%20Joseph%20Gen.jpg

XIV Corps Commander: George H. Thomas, I Division: Lovell H. Rousseau, II Division: James S. Jackson, and III Division: Joseph J. Reynolds

One wonders if Thomas regrets not relieving Buell when he had the chance. He has now been passed over twice for command of the Army of the Cumberland. Rousseau is considering running for congress from Kentucky. Both Jackson and Reynolds have reason to be concerned about their positions. Neither has performed notably to date.

220px-Philip_Sheridan_1-restored.jpg
200px-William_P_Carlin.jpg
HGBerry.jpg
200px-General_R%C3%A9gis_de_Trobriand.jpg

XX Corps Commander: Philip Sheridan, I Division: William P. Carlin, II Division: Hiram Berry, and III Division: Regis de Trobriand

Philip Sheridan has performed well under Rosecrans command despite his former corps commander's lacklustre performances. William P. Carlin did very well at the Battle of Elk River in his first battle in command of a division. Hiram Berry commanded a brigade with distinction in the Army of the Potomac (in Kearny's Division) before being injured. Regis de Trobriand has benefited from General Kearny's admiration of all things French with quick promotion to brigade command in which role he has performed well in the East.

200px-IBRichardson.jpg
200px-William_Babcock_Hazen_-_Brady-Handy.jpg
draft_lens18017432module150632558photo_1307276225palmer_j_m.jpg
Corbis-IH083690.jpg%3Fsize%3D67%26uid%3D270c05f6-bcdc-4b5a-8ca7-57f6897941e1

XXI Corps Commander: Israel Richardson, I Division: William B. Hazen, II Division: John M. Palmer, and III Division: George P. Buell

Israel Richardson, former commander of II Corps Army of the Potomac, has followed Hooker to the West. Richardson is still on crutches following a nasty wound to the thigh during the Battle of Richmond. It has not improved his demeanor. John Palmer's Division has performed very well to date. It is not clear if that was Palmer's influence or his three brigade commanders: Craft, Hazen and Grose. Hooker has instructions from Kearny to promote young officers of proven courage and talent to divisional command. William B. Hazen and George P. Buell would have to have waited some time under Rosecrans regime to occupy these positions but the have benefited from Hooker's review of the most recent battle reports of Army of the Cumberland.

200px-Gordon_Granger_-_Brady-Handy.jpg
jacobcox.jpg
250px-JBSteedmanMGenright.jpg
220px-Absalom_Baird.jpg

XXIII Corps Commander: Gordon Granger, I Division: Jacob D. Cox, II Division: James B. Steedman, and III Division: Absalom Baird

Granger is considered a very sound level headed officer. Steedman, a printer, politician, militia general and volunteer in the Texan War of Independence is well thought of, "the best sort of volunteer general".

barry-wf3.jpg
Graham,%20Lawrence%20Pike.jpg
200px-GKWarren.jpg

Chief of Artillery: William F. Barry, Chief of Cavalry: Lawrence P. Graham, and Chief of Engineers: Gouverneur K. Warren

Who is the best Union Artillerist? The answer is either Henry Hunt or William Barry. Hooker has made sure he has Barry to reorganize his artillery. Temporarily assigned to train cavalry at Annapolis, Graham has been brought from the East because Hooker believes he needs a teacher to bring his cavalry up to snuff. Kearny has appointed Warren to the Army of the Cumberland but we shall see shortly that he has a wider remit...

Last edited:
Tomorrow - There is a Steamboat on the Mississippi on its way to Vicksburg. We shall see the fate of Grant and his officers, and Kearny's plans for the war through August and into autumn/the fall.

At this point in the war if the Main CSA armies broke up in to Guerilla units it would be very hard for the Union to win the war.

Most of the best areas for guerilla warfare are Unionist, many of whom were actively opposing the Confederacy. Going guerilla gives the conscripts, Unionists, and men who don't want to be the last to die in a lost cause a much better chance to desert. A significant portion of the CSA officers would be too old to handle the rigors of guerilla warfare, the guerillas would be treated as bandits, and they'd have no way to replace their losses.

Chapter Fifty-One A Steamboat from the North
Chapter Fifty-One

A Steamboat from the North

From "U.S. Grant - Hero of Three Wars" by John W. Eisenhower
Edison 1953

“Generals Grant and Sherman were in Vicksburg to meet the steamboat carrying General Kearny’s emissary. General Warren had not stayed long in Tennessee. He was tasked with carrying instructions to General Grant and also to discuss the coming campaign with Grant in a way not possible by telegraph. Kearny had resolved to remain in Virginia for the coming campaign, as he still believed Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia represented the greatest threat…”

From “Kearny the Magnificent” by Roger Galton
NorthWestern

“Kearny had initially considered sending his Chief of Staff, Oliver O. Howard, as his representative to Grant, but while Howard was a sound Chief of Staff and would have been a good messenger, he did not have the imagination to discuss and debate Grant’s plans for the coming months, nor did Kearny think Howard had a particularly penetrating insight into personalities and abilities.

Kearny however had been impressed with Warren’s tactical insight over the last few months. Warren had established a reputation of bringing his engineering traits of deliberation and caution to the role of infantry corps commander. While not perhaps sharing Kearny’s more aggressive tendencies, Warren could trusted to have a meaningful discussion with Grant and to seek a genuine and thorough understanding of his plans. Isaac Rodman described Warren as “a man of fine intelligence, great earnestness, quick perception, and could make his dispositions as quickly as any officer, under difficulties where he was forced to act”.”​

From "U.S.Grant - Hero of Three Wars" by John W. Eisenhower
Edison 1953

“Without ever having met Grant and Kearny agreed on one thing. The objectives of the Union armies for the remainder of 1863 should not be cities or ports but the rebel field armies. Grant expressed his goal to Warren in simple terms, “I mean to bring Bragg’s army to battle wherever I can, fight it and defeat it”. Grant planned to secure Jackson and from there he could strike into Alabama in any of three directions: towards Decatur/Huntsville, Birmingham or Montgomery. An advance north towards Decatur would be seen to support Hooker while the capture of Montgomery would have significant symbolic benefits. However Grant expressed no preference. “I mean follow Bragg wherever he might go”…

Warren was concerned about how Grant would maintain his supply lines, away from the Mississippi or any functioning railroad. Grant was unconcerned. He had cast off from his supply lines in his advance on Vicksburg, and he meant to do the same on any advance into Alabama. Alabama was virgin territory as far as the war was concerned. An army on the move should be able to live comfortably off the land. Warren was notably sceptical, as is reflected in his formal report to Kearny, however Sherman reflected to Warren that he had been of a similar cautious mindset before the advance on Vicksburg but was now wholly convinced of the practicality of the plan…

Grant, relieved that no alteration in his command was to be “forced” upon him by Kearny, sought to establish the extent of his authority under Kearny. Particularly he wanted to confirm he had the power to replace his corps commanders. As matters stood McClernand had XIII Corps, Sherman XV Corps, McPherson XVII Corps, Hurlbut XVI Corps and Fitz-John Porter XIX Corps. Grant particularly wanted to replace McClernand and Hurlbut with “professional soldiers” i.e. Eugene Carr and E.O.C. Ord, though this went unsaid in his discussions with Warren.

Warren confirmed that Grant had complete authority over divisional appointments and below, but that for “political considerations” the President had asked Kearny to clear any future corps level changes with the War Office. Sherman’s interjection is on record “Doesn’t General Kearny recognise that we need trained professional West point officers in command, not these political appointees...?”. “General Sherman, General Kearny is not a West Point man. To the best of my knowledge he has never set foot inside West Point himself. He values merit earned in the field over an officer’s alma mater”…”

Last edited:
Army of the Tennessee Order of Battle will follow and then:

Upcoming Updates:

• The Southern Government goes South: Chaos and recrimination in Atlanta;
  • The Door Closes: More foreign affairs with more on Spain/Cuba this time and issues around Confederate Commerce Raiding;
  • The Mexican Adventure - France in Mexico during 1863
  • The Uncivil War - a review of guerilla warfare in the Valley and Northern Virginia.
If anyone has any other suggestions, requests, queries etc let me. Where is my favorite general etc? let me know.

Last edited:
Army of the Tennessee
Leaders of the Army of the Tennessee

573fe9e76e0a577a7d351644c99da73a.jpg

Commander of the Army of the Tennessee: Ulysses S. Grant

The army was spared the wholesale reorganization of other armies, primarily because of the President's confidence in General Grant. It would perhaps be better called the Army of the Mississippi, but that was McClernand's name for his attempt at a separate/independent command, so the army remains of the Tennessee.

220px-John_Alexander_McClernand.jpg
220px-Albert_L_Lee.jpg
200px-AJSmith.jpg
220px-Gen_Alvin_P_Hovey_06985r.jpg
EACarr.jpg

XIII Commander: John A. McClernand, I Division: Albery Lindley Lee, II Division: Andrew J. Smith, III Division: Alvin P. Hovey, and IV Division: Eugene A. Carr

Larger than the average corps with 4 divisions, XIII Corps is led by a political general. McClernand seems intend on relying on anyone except his best professional/regular officer, Eugene A. Carr. General Grant would like to replace McClernand but McClernand has both political clout and has become popular in the army thanks to his "encouraging" an east west rivalry with Porter's XIX Corps.

250px-William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg
250px-General_Francis_Preston_Blair.jpg
200px-FSteele.jpg
150px-James_M_Tuttle.jpg

XV Corps Commander: William T. Sherman, I Division: Francis P. Blair jr, II Division: Frederick Steele, and III Division: James M. Tuttle

Sherman is both Grant's friend and second in command. Blair is another general with a great deal of "pull" in Washington.

hurlbut_web.jpg
200px-William_Sooy_Smith.jpg
150px-GMDodge.jpg
Jacob_Gartner_Lauman_1.JPG

XVI Corps: Stephen Hurlbut, I Division: William Sooy Smith, II Division: Grenville M. Dodge, IV Division: Jacob G. Lauman

General Washburn with Kimball's III Division remains on garrision duty in Tennessee. Hurlbut, a southern born Illinois politician, is a first class administrator. Grant would like to return him to that duty and appoint a regular general to command this infantry corps while it remains with his army.

200px-Brady-GeneralMcPherson.jpg
zzz.bmp
JMcArthur.jpg
draft_lens18052780module150854991photo_1308141251quinby_I_F.jpg

XVII: James B. McPherson, I Division: John A. Logan, II Division: John McArthur, and III Division: Isaac F. Quinby

Grant and Sherman both have a high opinion of General McPherson. He certainly has an effective corps, with Logan and McArthur being two of the best and most aggressive divisional commanders in it.

porter_web_1.jpg
wtz1.jpg
f6ecaf41e3a5cdaf61cf1c662719084038a070e1.jpg
230px-General_William_Dwight.jpg
gen_paine.jpg

XIX Corps: Fitz John Porter, I Division: Godfrey Weitzel, II Division: Thomas W. Sherman, III Division: William Dwight jr. and IV Division: Halbert E. Paine

XIX Corps has been cobbled together from Eastern troops, southern unionists and black regiments, with junior brigadiers commanding divisions in some cases. Originally formed as the garrison of New Orleans, with Porter as commander in that Dept, it remains to be seen whether Grant can hold onto this command for the upcoming campaign in Mississippi and Alabama.

150px-Benjamin_H_Grierson.JPG

Commander of the Cavalry Brigade: Benjamin H. Grierson

The Army of the Tennessee doesn't have much cavalry to command, but Grierson leads it well.

Are you going to do the same Army breakdown for the Confederate side?

I have sketched out their OOB for the coming campaigns, but I don't think I will formally present it as I have for the Union armies. This timeline is very much focused on the Union side and its dominant personalities during and after the war. My main reason for spelling out the Union senior commanders was really to give a bit of life to the names, many of whom will continue to play a significant role in this timeline for some time to come.

However I will focus on a few of the more significant Confederates from time to time, but their future (with a few exceptions) is less well sketched out...

Chapter Fifty-Two The Southern Government Goes South Part I
Chapter Fifty-Two

The Southern Government Goes South
Part I

From “The Unyielding Office – the Presidency of Jefferson Davis” by James L. Caney
Buffalo

“Atlanta in August was not the pleasantest of cities to reside in. A city of formerly less than 10,000 souls now flooded with politicians, government employees, office seekers, army officers, refugees and all their families was an extremely unpleasant place to pass the time.​

The fall of Richmond had turned the former supply hub into the centre of government for the Confederacy, or at least those parts where its writ still ran. This effectively covered Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi and very limited areas of Virginia and Tennessee. The remainder of the Confederacy was either under Union occupation or cut off from the east by Grant’s conquest of the Mississippi River…​

Technically Congress was out of session. Practically the fall of Richmond had meant that Senators and Congressmen had congregated back to the centre of power. Many had nowhere else to go, cut off from hearth and home – a new experience for the Virginia delegation…​

The Congressmen had taken over the unfortunately named Trout House Hotel on Decatur Street and were unofficially meeting in its dining room. The Senate had been provided with the use of the Atheneum Theatre on the same street, and with the use of the Masonic Hall for offices. The cabinet officers had also been provided with temporary offices on the upper floor of the Masonic Hall until appropriate Department Buildings could be identified or in some cases built…Stephen Mallory and Thomas Hill Watts had already split the Library between the Department of the Navy and the Attorney General’s Office. John Reagan was operating the Postmaster General’s office from an empty warehouse…The President set up residence in the loaned home of Judge Lyons, while the War Office was to be found in the City Hall…​

03304v.jpg

The Trout House Hotel and the Masonic Hall. The Atheneum is off to the left of the picture and the City Hall is to the left and rear of the photographer.

Whether it was by accident or design, the President was separated from his cabinet which was now operating largely in the same building as many senators. Many of those senators considered President Davis was primarily to blame for the fall of Richmond. They now had daily access to disgruntled cabinet officers who were tired of Davis’ “dictatorial” (Watts) style of government…​

The leadership of the South was splitting into three distinct factions, two of which were utterly opposed to President Davis.​

A faction has coalesced around Vice President Alexander Stephens. united primarily in their opposition to Davis and his policies, they also began to fear the repercussions of the acts of the firebrands. They opposed the summary execution of General Hunter and feared the likely direction of Union policy if such actions continued. It was not yet a “Peace” party in any sense, but Stephens and his supporters wished to see a broader consensus built in favor of the “civilized pursuit of this war and the achievement of an honorable peace” (Henry C. Burnett of Kentucky)…​

The firebrands themselves opposed President Davis. In their contradictory fashion they accused him simultaneously of riding roughshod over state rights, while failing to prosecute the war to the full extent of the “nation’s revolutionary power” (James L. Orr). United in their opposition to the President, they were united in little else. With Robert Barnwell Rhett in the field, the main voice of the firebrands in Congress was Louis T. Wigfall of Texas who was in the process of forming an alliance with another anti-Davis diehard, Edward Sparrow of Louisiana (easily the richest man in Congress. A billionaire by today’s standards)…​

The “Presidential” faction supported Davis and sought to chart a middle path between the “defeatists and the mad-brained fools drunk on blood” (Gustavus A. Henry of Tennessee). By the time the government had begun to re-establish itself in Atlanta this faction has lost many of its numbers…​

220px-Alexander_Stephens_-1855.jpg
180px-LTWigfall.jpg
Gustavus-henry-tn1.png

Vice President Alexander Stephens, Senator Louis T. Wigfall of Texas, and Senator Gustavus A. Henry of Tennessee

Davis was being blamed, by those who were neither firebrands nor diehards, for the death of General Hunter, primarily because of his insistence that Gustavus Smith command the Temporary Corps. As the Confederate Intelligencer put it: “no officer would have acted without orders had Stonewall Jackson been in command, and had they, they would have been placed under arrest immediately”…​

Davis was blamed for the bread riots in Richmond, particularly because of his support for Lucius Northrup. The incompetent Northrup had been placed under arrest by Howell Cobb following the evacuation of Richmond…​

The Leventhorpe Massacre was also laid at the President’s doorstep. It was his order after all to open fire on the rioters. Finally even the burning of Richmond was more often blamed on the President in the press than it was on the invading Yankees…​

Finally during a hot day in August, after three weeks in the new capitol, the Vice-president and his allies in cabinet felt confident enough to move against the President…”​

Last edited: