Wrapped In Flames

I've got to say this is the most interesting, moving and plausible ATL I've ever seen where I have reason to fear the Union will not come out of it well at all. I generally avoid and despise "how can the South win?" speculations and have always responded to the suggestion that British intervention for the secessionists is both unlikely and possibly disastrous for Britain.

But this very well nuanced, thoughtful approach to the alliance of Britain with the Confederacy is giving me the shivers.

I remain enough of a Yank patriot and fanboy of Lincoln to still hope the Union comes out of it triumphant, but if it does it will be either because British opinion makes a very unlikely volte face (conceivable only if British military fortunes suffer, on land or sea, a humiliating reversal, only possible if arrogance leads to colossal errors, which I discount as ASB) or because, after many years of terrible punishment, Lincoln still holds on to power and leadership, the Republican cause is steeled in adversity, and the vast potential of the USA (shorn of its southern states, assailed north and south, decimated on the seas and thus with its foreign imports reduced to near nothing, and harried by raids on the East coast and quite possibly losing control of the Pacific coast and vast swathes of the West completely:eek:) is mobilized in record time, leading to an autarkic continental Army that manages to maintain morale, shake out its deadwood pre-war legacy officers, solidify doctrines of modern warfare (more often than not using improvised weaponry since the hypothetical new arsenals will be lagging far behind) and bring the full potential power of the Union to bear on the South, Canada and hold its own along the Atlantic shore.

Such a war probably won't be clearly settled or even with the end in sight come November 1864; how electable will Lincoln be then? Will the elections be rigged, or suspended outright? (OTL of course they weren't).

If the Union can hold out that long, I would then bet it wins, in some sense. Probably losing no territory in the north to Canada (Imperial forces might hold some but agree to move out in the peace settlement), retaking at least some Southern states and very possibly holding out for the complete conquest of the South. Possibly losing territory in the West to the British, although the pitiful capacity of the far western Army and Naval squadrons is offset by the equally dismal logistics of British Columbia. I'd think California is strong enough to repel any British actions or even joint British-Confederate ones--provided it stays loyal; quite a lot of the Anglo population in that state had Secessionist sympathies though.:eek:

Furthermore, even if it is battered or has to forgo retaking at least parts of the South, if the Union can hold that long it will be precociously industrialized, with a huge army more modern than any on Earth, an industrial/financial system geared to centralized command and control, and despite being decimated by the RN, a formidable fleet of the most modern types of warship, geared mainly to coastal defense but with the clear potential of building up a world-class global fleet overnight, if they can only get the bases. And this superpowered USA would regard Britain as its traditional and much feared and hated foe. Very possibly Britain would have lost Canada, at least the West of it, early on and would never get it back, possibly exchanging loyal subjects (groaning now under the Yankee boot) for a Southern alliance of dubious moral or economic utility and questionable loyalty as well.

At this time, the only European power strong enough to give the British pause is on their side (Napoleon III's France) but in the coming decades, any power at cross-purposes with Britain will find the Union a ready and strongly distracting ally.

Now all of this is the least bad outcome my patriotic and anti-slavery, pro-Lincoln prejudices want me to hope for.

But the detail work you've done with the salient issues at hand make me doubtful. I remain confident the Union can, with enough bloody-minded perseverance, "win" in this rather dark fashion. But will the nation bear up under the immediate impact of the crisis that is now upon them? Diverted from their war-winning strategy in the South by the need to reinforce the north and to guard the coast and the Union Navy itself which alone can keep the blockade of the secessionists, with their financial credit cut to zero (but that hardly matters if they cannot physically import goods themselves, the blockaders blockaded) and powder supplies running out far faster than they can be anticipated to be replenished under the most rosy scenario, as their plight becomes clear, will the Northerners cave? Will Lincoln be impeached and executed, or even be driven to resign? Will the Republicans lose control, or will Lincoln's own party be craven enough to turn on their resolutions and seek an armistice? Will the regime hold firm enough in the center, but be plagued and bled by a thousand desperate rebellions?

This business of the RN fleet already mobilizing under pre-arranged war plans months before anyone in Lincoln's cabinet suspects the first warlike move is possible is downright Hitchcockian suspense!:eek: They think they are ready---they don't know...:eek:

I'm rather hoping the British plans go rather poorly, being drawn up in anger and arrogance, ordering action in a bad season as they do...but that's just me clinging to ASB false hope.

On paper and from a century and a half's distance in time, Canada looks to be doomed in the long run. This was before I met your Canadians. I used to assume that the Quebecois could be won over and used to drive a fatal dagger severing West Canada from the Maritimes, but it doesn't seem all that likely the way you've so plausibly characterized their mood. (Nor would gung-ho filibustering Yankees with their anti-Catholic, anti-French prejudices be the best goodwill ambassadors.:rolleyes:) Now that I've met some Anglo West Canadians the last thing I want is to see them steamrollered--and it isn't clear to me who would steamroller whom either, at least until Yankee numbers showed up in overwhelming (and devastating, ruinous:() force--and those would be numbers not available to deal with the secessionists nor with British expeditionary forces landing in the east coast to distract and dissect the Union machine, such as it is.

If the Yanks can stay in the fight, I fear Canada would be doomed. But the resistance of the Canadians, of both ethnicities, would cast some extra doubt on how persistent the Union can be. And if the Union fails to at least neutralize Canada as a threat, Imperial armies can counterstrike at just about every major industrial, logistic or agricultural center that is more or less protected by geography from seaborne descents on the Atlantic coast.

The Union fleet as it exists is going to be chewed up and sunk. The question is whether the Americans can make a new fleet, modernized to the hilt, armed for bear and determined to turn the tables. And how costly it is to the Admiralty to lose the ships and crews the Yanks manage to take to the bottom with them.

New Orleans may not be going upriver, but neither will the USN be assailing it any time soon. In the interim the South has respite it never had OTL.

If the pace of motion in the South stops, or even merely is slowed to a crawl, the morale of the secessionists will improve--but probably more significantly, the morale of the Southern anti-secessionists, who are very important but typically forgotten, will worsen. The "Confederacy" failed to secure the loyalty and cooperation of a very large segment of the Southern white populace OTL, and of course wrote off the existence of the African population as human beings in its very constitution. The former, seeing a delay and perhaps permanent deflection of the prospect of the real Union government ever coming back, will presumably veer toward the Confederate banner, some going from neutrals to active Southern patriotism, others going from hostility to a grudging neutrality. The slaves have nowhere to go and no hopes but Lincoln's victory, but the longer that is delayed the more despondent they will become, and so the unsung but valuable aid the Southern Africans gave the Union forces will be diminished. Perhaps it will flare up again, and rise to heights beyond OTL, if the Union comes marching south at last, unstoppably. But tough as the Civil War was OTL, it can only be tougher this time around--unless of course the North is dissuaded from coming south at all--which is final disaster for the southern Africans of course.:mad:

I love the careful attention to human detail you give; in particular your portrayal of Lincoln fills me with all the more love for him despite the fear he may be doomed.

The fault of the war lies somewhat balanced; American stupidities (including the decades of political bloody shirt waving Seward did, which now come back to haunt him) are part of the cause. Looking at the whole picture, I mainly blame Palmerston's arrogance. But unless, a decade hence, his actions now do lead eventually to a bloody-headed Frankenstein's Monster of a Union rising from the table where he tried to have it autopsied, I can't say he isn't smart to jump on the Union with both feet while the South has them distracted. Nor that he doesn't have causes to react to. Also, I can only respect the position of the Western Canadian anglos; in what I see as the best case they get horribly and tragically massacred; in other cases, their righteous determination to defend their homes leads to generations more of slavocracy in the South and a British Empire committed to perpetuate it.:(

Subscribed of course!

----

PS--also it's interesting how we are three pages into this, the crisis has snapped and war is inevitable--yet we haven't heard anything at all from a Southern point of view!:p

Maybe a Civil War timeline where the Confederacy never does take center stage and Southern matters are settled as sidelines in footnotes would be pretty cool.

I've got to say this is the most interesting, moving and plausible ATL I've ever seen where I have reason to fear the Union will not come out of it well at all. I generally avoid and despise "how can the South win?" speculations and have always responded to the suggestion that British intervention for the secessionists is both unlikely and possibly disastrous for Britain.

But this very well nuanced, thoughtful approach to the alliance of Britain with the Confederacy is giving me the shivers.

Thank you! I've read many scenarios on the subject and have been impressed with many of the TLs the tried to tackle it. I can assure you it is going to be ugly for everybody in some ways. I'm hoping I can continue to make this a good TL!

I remain enough of a Yank patriot and fanboy of Lincoln to still hope the Union comes out of it triumphant, but if it does it will be either because British opinion makes a very unlikely volte face (conceivable only if British military fortunes suffer, on land or sea, a humiliating reversal, only possible if arrogance leads to colossal errors, which I discount as ASB) or because, after many years of terrible punishment, Lincoln still holds on to power and leadership, the Republican cause is steeled in adversity, and the vast potential of the USA (shorn of its southern states, assailed north and south, decimated on the seas and thus with its foreign imports reduced to near nothing, and harried by raids on the East coast and quite possibly losing control of the Pacific coast and vast swathes of the West completely:eek:) is mobilized in record time, leading to an autarkic continental Army that manages to maintain morale, shake out its deadwood pre-war legacy officers, solidify doctrines of modern warfare (more often than not using improvised weaponry since the hypothetical new arsenals will be lagging far behind) and bring the full potential power of the Union to bear on the South, Canada and hold its own along the Atlantic shore.

Such a war probably won't be clearly settled or even with the end in sight come November 1864; how electable will Lincoln be then? Will the elections be rigged, or suspended outright? (OTL of course they weren't).

If the Union can hold out that long, I would then bet it wins, in some sense. Probably losing no territory in the north to Canada (Imperial forces might hold some but agree to move out in the peace settlement), retaking at least some Southern states and very possibly holding out for the complete conquest of the South. Possibly losing territory in the West to the British, although the pitiful capacity of the far western Army and Naval squadrons is offset by the equally dismal logistics of British Columbia. I'd think California is strong enough to repel any British actions or even joint British-Confederate ones--provided it stays loyal; quite a lot of the Anglo population in that state had Secessionist sympathies though.:eek:

Furthermore, even if it is battered or has to forgo retaking at least parts of the South, if the Union can hold that long it will be precociously industrialized, with a huge army more modern than any on Earth, an industrial/financial system geared to centralized command and control, and despite being decimated by the RN, a formidable fleet of the most modern types of warship, geared mainly to coastal defense but with the clear potential of building up a world-class global fleet overnight, if they can only get the bases. And this superpowered USA would regard Britain as its traditional and much feared and hated foe. Very possibly Britain would have lost Canada, at least the West of it, early on and would never get it back, possibly exchanging loyal subjects (groaning now under the Yankee boot) for a Southern alliance of dubious moral or economic utility and questionable loyalty as well.

At this time, the only European power strong enough to give the British pause is on their side (Napoleon III's France) but in the coming decades, any power at cross-purposes with Britain will find the Union a ready and strongly distracting ally.

Now all of this is the least bad outcome my patriotic and anti-slavery, pro-Lincoln prejudices want me to hope for.

Those are some pretty good projections for the future, depending of course on the politics of the intervening 4 decades leading up to the 20th century ;)

Also some good observations on the potential power of the Union and the geopolitical situation, I can assure you that I will probably address all of those in due time.

But the detail work you've done with the salient issues at hand make me doubtful. I remain confident the Union can, with enough bloody-minded perseverance, "win" in this rather dark fashion. But will the nation bear up under the immediate impact of the crisis that is now upon them? Diverted from their war-winning strategy in the South by the need to reinforce the north and to guard the coast and the Union Navy itself which alone can keep the blockade of the secessionists, with their financial credit cut to zero (but that hardly matters if they cannot physically import goods themselves, the blockaders blockaded) and powder supplies running out far faster than they can be anticipated to be replenished under the most rosy scenario, as their plight becomes clear, will the Northerners cave? Will Lincoln be impeached and executed, or even be driven to resign? Will the Republicans lose control, or will Lincoln's own party be craven enough to turn on their resolutions and seek an armistice? Will the regime hold firm enough in the center, but be plagued and bled by a thousand desperate rebellions?

Thanks! I'm hoping to show there's no 'easy' way for one side to do anything and that despite the power of both Britain, and the Union, they had some pretty clear limiting factors on both their abilities in 1862 that will make war somewhat difficult. One side may gain an advantage at first, but then you have issues such as a 3000 mile long supply chain or the fact that a third of your nation is attempting to tear itself away. Or that you have an entire empire to watch over or that you're entire foreign trade has now dried up.

The results of such a conflict are going to be interesting, for better or for worse.

This business of the RN fleet already mobilizing under pre-arranged war plans months before anyone in Lincoln's cabinet suspects the first warlike move is possible is downright Hitchcockian suspense!:eek: They think they are ready---they don't know...:eek:

I'm rather hoping the British plans go rather poorly, being drawn up in anger and arrogance, ordering action in a bad season as they do...but that's just me clinging to ASB false hope.

Well let's just say that in some cases the British will find they have the wolf by the ear ;) you can succeed in some campaigns, but whose to say those resources wouldn't be better used elsewhere?

Then again even the most well laid plan can crash and burn spectacularly :D

On paper and from a century and a half's distance in time, Canada looks to be doomed in the long run. This was before I met your Canadians. I used to assume that the Quebecois could be won over and used to drive a fatal dagger severing West Canada from the Maritimes, but it doesn't seem all that likely the way you've so plausibly characterized their mood. (Nor would gung-ho filibustering Yankees with their anti-Catholic, anti-French prejudices be the best goodwill ambassadors.:rolleyes:) Now that I've met some Anglo West Canadians the last thing I want is to see them steamrollered--and it isn't clear to me who would steamroller whom either, at least until Yankee numbers showed up in overwhelming (and devastating, ruinous:() force--and those would be numbers not available to deal with the secessionists nor with British expeditionary forces landing in the east coast to distract and dissect the Union machine, such as it is.

If the Yanks can stay in the fight, I fear Canada would be doomed. But the resistance of the Canadians, of both ethnicities, would cast some extra doubt on how persistent the Union can be. And if the Union fails to at least neutralize Canada as a threat, Imperial armies can counterstrike at just about every major industrial, logistic or agricultural center that is more or less protected by geography from seaborne descents on the Atlantic coast.

Well part of the reason I endeavored to write this is because I wanted to address what I call the "matter of marching" myth which seems to come up irritatingly frequently in discussions on a hypothetical Anglo-American war post 1812.

One of those things is that the 'Canadians' would be incapable of defending themselves, or would cower in fear as the Union marches proudly to the sea...to which I say hogwash. There was a 'Canadian' identity (such as it was) in the 1860s and the years from 1860-67 were the formative years in Canadian history which saw the emergence of what would become modern Canada. An Anglo-American War would probably be the defining moment of Canadian history at that point. There's going to be some interesting ripples for sure, and in some unexpected places.

The Union fleet as it exists is going to be chewed up and sunk. The question is whether the Americans can make a new fleet, modernized to the hilt, armed for bear and determined to turn the tables. And how costly it is to the Admiralty to lose the ships and crews the Yanks manage to take to the bottom with them.

New Orleans may not be going upriver, but neither will the USN be assailing it any time soon. In the interim the South has respite it never had OTL.

If the pace of motion in the South stops, or even merely is slowed to a crawl, the morale of the secessionists will improve--but probably more significantly, the morale of the Southern anti-secessionists, who are very important but typically forgotten, will worsen. The "Confederacy" failed to secure the loyalty and cooperation of a very large segment of the Southern white populace OTL, and of course wrote off the existence of the African population as human beings in its very constitution. The former, seeing a delay and perhaps permanent deflection of the prospect of the real Union government ever coming back, will presumably veer toward the Confederate banner, some going from neutrals to active Southern patriotism, others going from hostility to a grudging neutrality. The slaves have nowhere to go and no hopes but Lincoln's victory, but the longer that is delayed the more despondent they will become, and so the unsung but valuable aid the Southern Africans gave the Union forces will be diminished. Perhaps it will flare up again, and rise to heights beyond OTL, if the Union comes marching south at last, unstoppably. But tough as the Civil War was OTL, it can only be tougher this time around--unless of course the North is dissuaded from coming south at all--which is final disaster for the southern Africans of course.:mad:

Yeah inertia is important in this war. Winter 61/62 was a time when the Union definitely quite hadn't grasped it on all fronts yet (especially in the East) and in the West you didn't quite have the brilliant commanders in charge, and one man has yet to completely distinguish himself from his past, and he's going to be facing a very different set of circumstances than he did historically...and look at me, I'm getting ahead of myself :p

I love the careful attention to human detail you give; in particular your portrayal of Lincoln fills me with all the more love for him despite the fear he may be doomed.

Ah I appreciate that very much! Lincoln as an individual has always been fascinating to me and part of what I'm trying to accomplish is to show how this war in general is going to have an effect on him, and his family. For better or for worse...

I intend to tell a bit of many peoples stories, only a few historical characters though (partially because they're accessible) and then through the eyes of my 'historical but taking literary liberties' characters. The Newtons are going to feature quite saliently in that area.

The fault of the war lies somewhat balanced; American stupidities (including the decades of political bloody shirt waving Seward did, which now come back to haunt him) are part of the cause. Looking at the whole picture, I mainly blame Palmerston's arrogance. But unless, a decade hence, his actions now do lead eventually to a bloody-headed Frankenstein's Monster of a Union rising from the table where he tried to have it autopsied, I can't say he isn't smart to jump on the Union with both feet while the South has them distracted. Nor that he doesn't have causes to react to. Also, I can only respect the position of the Western Canadian anglos; in what I see as the best case they get horribly and tragically massacred; in other cases, their righteous determination to defend their homes leads to generations more of slavocracy in the South and a British Empire committed to perpetuate it.:(

The horrible thing about an Anglo-American war in this period is that it would take something where both sides think they're right to really push them into it. If it had just been the worse Trent Affair that might have lead to war if Lincoln was foolish enough to not back down (unlikely) but a contentious court case, an easily misunderstood incident between warships, and the great power of the day who can't afford to lose face? It's a nasty situation to be sure. One that profits no one in any real way.

Well maybe a few people...

Though I can assure you, at the end of this all there's going to be quite a bit of retrospection on both sides.

Subscribed of course!

Thank you! :)

PS--also it's interesting how we are three pages into this, the crisis has snapped and war is inevitable--yet we haven't heard anything at all from a Southern point of view!:p

Maybe a Civil War timeline where the Confederacy never does take center stage and Southern matters are settled as sidelines in footnotes would be pretty cool.

There will be some, but the problem I'm facing is a distinct lack of knowledge of the voices of many people from the South who aren't Robert E. Lee or Stonewall Jackson. I'm hoping that by the time things get kicked into gear ITTL my reading about certain people will have paid off...

I guess we'll see :D

Thanks for your comments and I hope you enjoy the ride!

There will be some, but the problem I'm facing is a distinct lack of knowledge of the voices of many people from the South who aren't Robert E. Lee or Stonewall Jackson. I'm hoping that by the time things get kicked into gear ITTL my reading about certain people will have paid off...

I guess we'll see :D

Thanks for your comments and I hope you enjoy the ride!

One thing you will have to make us believe is that the Confederacy literally believes that British intervention in anyway means national recognition. They literally believe that like the gospel.

One thing you will have to make us believe is that the Confederacy literally believes that British intervention in anyway means national recognition. They literally believe that like the gospel.

I don't think I understand what you are saying. It looks to me like belief is no longer necessary; if Britain is openly at war with the USA, there's no reason (well, other than the whole slavery issue) for Her Majesty's Government not to recognize the Confederacy. With Napoleon III repeatedly signaling he will back Britain's play (and not steal something from the British while their back is turned) presumably France too will recognize the Confederacy. OTL the thing that prevented either of these powers from doing so was the knowledge that the USA would regard that as an act of war; here they're already over that red line so why not?

In turn "recognition" was something the secessionist leaders longed for because it would mean the European great powers had decided to slap the Union down--even if there would be no direct aid to the Confederacy, the Union would be distracted and weakened.

And in fact there seems almost certain to be pretty substantial aid to the Confederacy now; to protect Canada, the British need to keep a lot of Union forces bogged down in the South. Also the RN will be tasked with breaking the Union blockade, giving British merchants access to Southern cotton and other trade goods; both British and Dixie propertied classes hope to be better off with Union interference cast aside.

So "recognition" is not some superstition the secessionists believe in--if we grant that OTL is more likely and that the European powers would be unlikely to grant it, it becomes pie in the sky--but once those powers have decided to fight the Union, it is a solid and real thing, bringing the secessionists the benefits they hoped for.

One possibility I think I've been overlooking though--what if the British are not intending to get into a long and total war with the Yankees; if their mentality is such that they think a short war they control is possible, wherein they deliver some stinging slaps on the Union but then relent and settle for terms?

Such a thing would be tragic, because I don't think the Union would settle on terms the British would expect them to; the war will drag on to the surprise of the instigators and turn into the total war they did not anticipate.

But let's say that after suitable victories of a gratifying kind the British do offer Lincoln some terms he feels the Union can live with (including no mention of the situation in the South one way or the other, implying freedom of action regarding the rebellion) and he takes them, settling the border with Canada, ending British interference with the Union Navy--leaving Lincoln free to turn attention back to bringing the South to heel.

Now what? Will the Confederates find that they never were "recognized" save as a momentary convenience, and now they are abandoned again, now the Union blockade closes on them again...

Writing it out makes it all seem more unlikely though. I can believe the British jumped into this half-baked, not having thought through what their decision entailed, thinking they'd just shoot up some Yanks and teach them a lesson--but they are in fact making irrevocable choices. They might be able to terminate their embassy to Richmond, but wouldn't they still want the blockade to remain dispersed? Can they trust Lincoln's word for the security of Canada, or isn't it still a good idea to keep good relations with the secessionists in the south to keep pressure on the Union? But if they continue to have good, or even just "correct", relations with the Confederacy then they will not have any good relations with the Union that is still trying to reconquer the South.

So, in for a penny, in for a pound--the British are not going to abandon the Confederacy unless both they and their slaveholding new friends suffer terrible defeats. If Lincoln crushes the Confederacy now, it will be in defiance of everything the British can do to defend it.

The secessionists have got their recognition!

Don't worry all! The issue of recognition is going to come up for both sides! The Confederate dream is the American nightmare after all! Though politically it's not as clear cut as some would like it to be!;)

TFSmith121

Banned
Going back to your Canadians errant, for a moment;

1. If they are historical, what units had they enlisted in?
2. None are officers, correct?

Thanks

1. If they are historical, what units had they enlisted in?
2. None are officers, correct?

Thanks

In 1862 they were all teamsters in the army as far as I'm aware (Jasper was dead from an outbreak of typhoid in the camps of the AOTP in October '61 historically but here's to butterflies) and Newton was 15. Alfred would die of disease in 1863 still as a teamster and Alonzo would go on to serve in the 20th Battery Ohio Volunteer Artillery after re-enlisting in January of 1864 and was discharged in 1865. None are officers at this point.

TFSmith121

Banned
Were they civilians or had they actually enlisted?

In 1862 they were all teamsters in the army as far as I'm aware (Jasper was dead from an outbreak of typhoid in the camps of the AOTP in October '61 historically but here's to butterflies) and Newton was 15. Alfred would die of disease in 1863 still as a teamster and Alonzo would go on to serve in the 20th Battery Ohio Volunteer Artillery after re-enlisting in January of 1864 and was discharged in 1865. None are officers at this point.

Were they civilian employees of the Army/War Department or had they actually enlisted?

Best,

TFSmith121

Banned
Then if they leave their posts, they are deserters:

and subject to arrest, imprisonment, and execution.

My bet would be four BNAers would also not have passes simultaneously, as well, for obvious reasons, so that rings false - I won't call it an idiot ball by their sergeant, much less their officer, but it comes close.:rolleyes:

The Provost Marshals organization, however, was quite strong by the winter of 1861-62; in the Army of the Potomac, this was a priority of McClellan's, and he created the position soon after taking command in 1861. In a period of crisis with the British, there will be PMs at every train station, on every pike, and at every landing from Washington to Albany. When they caught a deserter, he was usually beaten to a pulp, then tried, convicted, and received company punishment (bucking and gagging was popular). If an example needed to be made, it was at the muzzle.

This was a not atypical result - five at a time.

21035u.jpg

Again, this was not an amatuer officer corps in 1861-62. Your Canadian deserters are dead men.

Best,

If they get caught

and subject to arrest, imprisonment, and execution.

My bet would be four BNAers would also not have passes simultaneously, as well, for obvious reasons, so that rings false - I won't call it an idiot ball by their sergeant, much less their officer, but it comes close.:rolleyes:

The Provost Marshals organization, however, was quite strong by the winter of 1861-62; in the Army of the Potomac, this was a priority of McClellan's, and he created the position soon after taking command in 1861. In a period of crisis with the British, there will be PMs at every train station, on every pike, and at every landing from Washington to Albany. When they caught a deserter, he was usually beaten to a pulp, then tried, convicted, and received company punishment (bucking and gagging was popular). If an example needed to be made, it was at the muzzle.

This was a not atypical result - five at a time.

21035u.jpg

Again, this was not an amatuer officer corps in 1861-62. Your Canadian deserters are dead men.

Best,

If they get caught yes. It's not inevitable and not impossible to get out (enough managed it throughout the war on both sides) and stranger things have happened in history.

Besides, the narrative works better that way.

Chapter IV

“The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.” – Revelation Chapter 8 verses 8-9.

British Fleet Actions in the Gulf:

“Though Milne had been expecting a sudden outbreak of hostilities, he was not prepared to act immediately. Though he had gathered most of his previously scattered squadron to him he still had a number of ships on patrol or preforming various duties along Britain’s possessions in the Caribbean. He could not take all of them from these duties, which meant his priority was to act with what he had in order to capture or drive to port as many American ships as possible. His second priority was to get a message off to Dunlop’s squadron informing him of the need for action. For that a fast steamer was immediately sent with the news of the activation of war orders, but it would take time to reach him, arriving late on the evening of the 9th. Though not thrilled with his disposition of forces, and unsure of a successful campaign in February, he was well aware of the consequences of a failure to act decisively.
However, on February 9th 1862 Milne’s ships were ready for action.

It is worth pausing here to consider the balance of forces present off of the coast of the Atlantic and in the Caribbean. The official lists of the United States Navy in January 1862 showed some 259 ships available for duty, this only 105 could be considered warships, and that included sail ships, paddle steamers, and double enders. The remainder were receiving ships, hulks, supply ships, packets, armed tugs, steamers, stores hips and barks, hardly ships of the line. It has been a tragic tendency for many modern researchers to simply look at the numbers and decree the United States navy was incompetent, when this is far from the case.

The USN had before the war very few modern ships, and at wars outbreak contained only a few ships which had been suitable for blockade duty. However, quick work by the Navy Department had increased the number of available ships to over 100 by the end of the summer with dozens more being coopted to support the new steamer fleet. Since build times and a lack of proper naval guns at wars outbreak hampered the creation of totally new warships merchant steamers and even private hulls were pulled into service. What modern readers must remember is that the USN was designing their fleet explicitly around its needs as a blockade force to stop the export of Confederate goods and the import of war materials, they had not been designing a fleet to win control of the high seas.

The Royal Navy on the other hand had been designed with controlling the seas in mind. Many have called the USN of the Civil War essentially a brown water navy, if that is the case the Royal Navy was a blue water Navy and then some. In comparison of hulls deployed the RN had over 150 ships in service, over 99% of those ships were modern steamers. Unlike the USN she also had a massive reserve of both trained sailors and warships to call upon in the event of war, with nearly 100 steamships in reserve, over 100 gunboats, and a dozen new iron hulled warships being built on the slips across Britain.

In terms of actual warships, Milne’s force outnumbered and outclassed those available to the Americans by a considerable margin. By the start of February Milne’s fleet had been reinforced to a total of 63 ships armed and ready for duty. This included the massive battleship Donegal, alongside numerous others such as Nile, Aboukir, and Agamemnon. There were also a multitude of screw frigates, corvettes and gunboats. It was with these forces he was ordered to lift the blockade of the Confederate coast, and to impose a blockade of his own.

In doing so he faced a number of considerable challenges. Firstly of his sixty ships only forty-four were available for immediate action, the remainder being on necessary routine patrol or undergoing maintenance in port. So he was split between 17 ships with Commodore Dunlop off Veracruz, and 26 with his own squadron on station off of Halifax. Knowing the window of opportunity was slim and hoping his roving patrols would catch at least some of the escapees he proceeded as planned. Milne was also less than impressed with the quality of his reinforcements. Though the Admiralty had indeed drawn up war plans structured around the idea of a blockade, the ships immediately available to him were mainly the great battleships of the line and some smaller vessels which could be spared. Milne had explicitly requested a fleet of some 65 ships be made available, all of which were to be frigates, corvettes, and gunboats, with battleships to serve as flags. In an alternative plan drawn up by Naval Cartogropher Captain John Washington, had suggested a plan involving only 45 ships. The Admiralty though, had agreed with Milne’s plan, but provided what Milne considered the thoroughly wrong ships for the task.

One cannot be completely critical of the Admiralty’s earlier decisions. Many officers operated under the assumption of the need to reduce fortresses like in the Russian War, and most of the ships which were immediately available to Milne were suitable for that purpose, but not blockade. As the war went on and the British adjusted their plans accordingly things would change, but in the immediate outbreak, it remained to be seen if the Admiralty’s plan was sound…

…Dunlop had split his flotilla into two squadrons, one of nine ships under his command following Aboukir and the other of eight under Captain Edward S. Sotheby on Conqueror. Together they engaged the ships of the newly formed West Gulf Blockading Squadron under Flag Officer David Farragut aboard his flag the USS Hartford.

Union Naval forces off Galveston were caught completely unawares by Sotheby’s squadron and after a brief skirmish they captured the USS South Carolina and her sister ships which were mostly armed barks, including a number of supply ships which had been making deliveries to the various vessels stationed there. There was a brief argument over how to handle the prize ships, but it was agreed after a brief negotiation with the Confederate commander in Galveston that the prize ships would be handed over to the Confederacy and a joint court would judge their cost and ownership at a later date. His squadron would continue on rounding up the odd converted steamer or sail ship and not face serious action until Florida."

Battle of the Delta:

Mississippi_River_Head_of_Passes_1861_2.jpg

The Head of the Passes, Mississippi Delta, where the battles would take place.

"Dunlop’s Squadron had made straight for New Orleans realizing it was a city too important to be allowed to stay under blockade in both economic terms for the Confederacy and as a place of refuge for his own ships. It was there though that they encountered the most powerful blockading squadron yet. New Orleans was under increased Federal scrutiny at the beginning of 1862, and it had been decided to take the city that year. As such a powerful force under Captain Farragut aboard his flagship USS Hartford had been dispatched with orders and 17 further ships to take the city, they however were en route as of February 3rd. To blockade the city there were some eleven US ships on hand, the USS Powhatan(16) under Flag Officer Garret J. Pendergrast, USS Brooklyn(21) Captain Thomas T. Craven, USS Itasca(5) Lieutenant C. H. B. Caldwell, USS Richmond(22) Captain D.N. Ingraham, USS Preble(16) Captain James Glynn, USS Vincennes(18), USS Wisahickon(5) ,the armed steamer SS St. Louis mounting five guns, and three armed barks mounting 4 guns each. That brought the squadron to the strength of 116 guns.

Dunlops Squadron was smaller, but far heavier in terms of guns and tonnage. He commanded from the Aboukir(90) supported by the battleship HMS Donegal(99) Captain Sherard Osborn, Frigates HMS Sans Pereil(70) Captain Arthur Eardley-Wilmot, HMS Orlando(40), HMS Phaeton (50) Captain Edward Tatham, Corvettes HMS Orpheus(21) Captain William F. Burnett, HMS Greyhound(16) Commander Henry D. Hickley, the sloop HMS Racer(11) under Commander Algernon M. Lyons , and the gunship HMS Landrail(5) Commander Thomas Martin commanding. This brought his squadrons’ strength to 406 guns to oppose the Americans.

Dunlop had driven a number of tenders before him into Confederate hands most had been driven aground and burned by Confederate forces or were captured by roving Confederate armed barges. As such the USN forces blockading New Orleans at the Head Passes had no idea what was coming for them. That is not to say they were off their guard, as Pendergrast had his ships on alert for the coming of George N. Hollins Mosquito Fleet which had sortied on October 12th, badly embarrassing the Federal Navy, and he had fought a few small skirmishes with them since and a number of his ships were undergoing repair and refit at that time. He was also aware of the deteriorating relations with Britain and had been informed by February 6th that the United States had rejected the ultimatum. He, like most senior leaders in the United States, was expecting that it would mean war but had no idea it could happen so soon. Many modern scholars who dismiss the early performance of the US Navy general do ignore that the United States had no inkling of the conditional orders sent to Milne or Dunlop, and had no way of knowing that they existed short of precognition. This helps explain the poor state the USN found itself in.

The Battle of the Delta was in actual fact, two separate battles on February 14th 1862. The first took place just beyond the Head of Passes where four ships, USS Powhatan, USS Richmond, USS Wissahickon, and USS Vincennes were on station to either prevent a sortie by the Mosquito Fleet or stop any ships attempting to enter the Delta. Pendergrast had all of his attention focused inwards as he was anticipating another attempt by Hollins fleet to drive him further off. The Powhatan and Richmond were anchored just off the mouth of the South Pass while Vincennes was on patrol seeking ships attempting to enter the South West Pass. As such she was the first ship to feel the wrath of the Royal Navy.

Greyhound was leading the column of RN ships as a scout with Aboukir not far behind, followed by Donegal and Orlando. Greyhound came upon the Vincennes with her colors and battle ensign raised, so she fired a warning shot. The Vincennes in response raised hers and attempted to maneuver to broadside. Unfortunately the Greyhound was a steam powered corvette and easily maneuvered herself to rake the less maneuverable Vincennes. The resulting battle was not unusual for those fought between a steamship and a sail planned warship. The shots from Greyhound’s 40 pounders both missed on the first pass, but her 32 pounders hit home. They spread carnage amongst the crew and ripped Vincennes rigging to shreds. On the second pass the 40 pounders hit home and dismasted the American ship spreading further destruction amongst her crew. However by the time a third pass was ready to be made Vincennes had maneuvered herself just enough to broadside the Greyhound. Her remaining crew fired valiantly inflicting some damage upon Greyhound leading to twelve casualties amongst the crew. Greyhound’s final broadside was devastating and ultimately catastrophic. Fire had been raging on Vincennes deck since the second pass, but now the broadside spread the flames to the ships interior, this touched off the powder magazine and the Vincennes exploded in a fireball of wood and metal sending pieces of men and ship cartwheeling into the sky. The crew of Greyhound were shocked into silence for a moment as the Vincennes burning remains streaked into the sea and sunk below the waves.

The Aboukir and Greyhound would recover only six survivors.

…USS Wissahickon responded immediately to the explosion but was captured after a warning shot from the Aboukir, her captain under no illusions about his gunboats chances against the Royal Navy vessels struck his colors…

The death of the Vincennes was heard 28 miles away where Pendergrast immediately assumed the Confederates had again sortied. He ordered his two ships to battle readiness and put up full steam intending to meet and at least delay the Confederates forces at East Bay while sending a dispatch vessel to alert the other ships off Pass d’Loutre at Blind Bay. What he found was something else entirely. While Greyhound and Aboukir were searching for survivors in the burning waters Osborne led the Donegal, Orlando, and Phaeton directly into what was assumed to be the main American line of approach while the Sans Peril, Orpheus, Racer, and Landrail swung around to the south to intercept any ships which would try to escape. Rounding the lighthouse into East Bay Pendergrast met Osborne’s squadron nearly head on. Despite the initial shock of seeing British warships come to engage them Powhatan and Richmond both moved to evade the oncoming warships in order to run and warn the remainder of the fleet.

However the warships under Captain Osborne were now under full steam, and they used this to merciless effect in order to fire their chasers, however their rate of fire was low and caused little damage at long range. Powhatan and Richmond held fire, merely attempting to turn. As Osbourne’s ships closed it would turn into a general melee. Phaeton managed to come stern and starboard of Richmond and received a broadside for her effort. In the running fight which followed the two ships wrecked one another, with Richmond having fired the first shot, but having weaker broadsides she was steadily worn down and forced to strike her colors, having taken 117 casualties. Phaeton’s larger crew size meant she was able to better soak up the casualties but she herself took 67 men killed or wounded.

Meanwhile Powhatan ran with all speed reaching her maximum 9 knots quicker than even her crew thought possible. She was however, much slower than the RN warships, as Donegal could reach 11 knots and had been sailing at 8 since the action started and HMS Orlando was capable of making nearly 14 knots and quickly brought herself up to 12. Although Pendergrast had managed to evade the two ships for half an hour thanks to his head start he found himself boxed in as Donegal moved to her bow and Orlando sought to cut off her starboard side and escape to deeper waters. However he still had plenty of fight in him.

Although slower and completely outgunned Powhatan had a deadly arsenal at her disposal, carrying an 11inch Dalghren cannon mounted on the bow and five 9inch guns on either side he knew he could make a fight of it. His duel with the Orlando would be one of the first shell versus shell match ups in history. The 11inch bow cannon fired first, sending a shot ripping into Donegal’s sidewalls, completely dismounting one of her cannon. The shock in Donegal’s gun compartments was immense and the first broadside was completely underwhelming by RN standards. This allowed a second shot to crash into RN vessels sidewalls before the Donegal herself was able to smash Powhatan with raking fire. The gun duel with Orlando was still less one sided and he managed to hold her off for another half hour while attempting to prevent the Donegal from crossing his T a second time. However, at last Orlando closed and the pounding commenced. The heavier broadside of the RN vessel told true and after an hour where Powhatan’s speed fell further and further before placing her at the mercy of the greater RN vessels and she was forced to strike her colors upon the smashing of her sidewheel to raking fire by the Orlando.

The Powhatan had fought hard and it showed, of the 276 officers and men fit for battle at the start of the fight, only 98 were unwounded by the time she struck, and her captain and Pendergrast were not among them. Pendergrast himself would lose his left hand and walk with a limp for the rest of his life (which would not be long, as shortly after entering captivity he would die of a stroke). He surrendered honorably and was allowed to keep his sword. Osborne and the crew of the Donegal all saluted as he came aboard, and he was treated by the RN’s chief surgeon on board. Osborne remarked after the battle “The men of the Powhatan and her captain were some of the bravest men I have had the honor to witness in battle. Should all Yankees fight like that the war is surely lost.”

Powhatan could no longer move under her own steam and had to be attached to the Richmond. The surrendered men were gathered up and prize crews placed upon the ships. The Union Jack was raised as the Federal ensign was hauled down and they were sailed up the river to New Orleans where the Union prisoners would be interned and the ships repaired and eventually used in the RN blockade while the Richmond was sold to the Confederate States Navy in May 1862.

The Battle of the Delta concluded shortly after with the RN ships steaming into Garden Bay taking the Brooklyn, Itasca, Preble, St. Louis and armed barks as they steamed to Pendergrasts aid. In the ensuing battle The St. Louis was sunk, the Preble scuttled, the Istaca run aground and the barks captured singlehandedly by Landrail. The remaining ships were captured after either a vicious fight, or by striking their colors.

All told the British suffered some 287 casualties, while their American opponents suffered some 779 dead or wounded not counting those captured.

Dunlop’s squadron would go on to meet up with Sotheby’s squadron off of Mobile. From there the united 13 ships (Racer having been holed beneath the water line during the Battle at Delta was up for repairs at New Orleans and the frigate Orlando sent to pursue reports of theUSS Marion while the gunship Pelter and the sloop Perseus were sunk and grounded respectively fighting the USS Colorado) would move to meet Farragut’s fleet which was only beginning to turn around Florida on the 19th, resulting in the famous Battle of Key West…” The Empire’s Sword: The Royal Navy 1798 – 1930, Volume III, Alexander Churchill, Oxford Press, 1978

USS_Powhatan_1850.jpg

The valiant frigate Powhatan

----

Well you wanted it to get worse :D here's the RN's opening strike on the USN, we shall see more in Chapter V. Though to those more in the know of Union Naval Officers, Pendergrast was not in command of Powhatan at this time historically, I have changed that here for reasons which will hopefully become clear later on.

This is really my first attempt at describing naval action so some feed back would be excellent!

Hope you all enjoy!

Last edited:
Well you wanted it to get worse :D here's the RN's opening strike on the USN, we shall see more in Chapter V. Though to those more in the know of Union Naval Officers, Pendergrast was not in command of Powhatan at this time historically, I have changed that here for reasons which will hopefully become clear later on.

This is really my first attempt at describing naval action so some feed back would be excellent!

Hope you all enjoy!

I'm no war buff; I'm a little better following naval battles than land battles I guess but I'm basically just a spectator. You laid out the odds fairly enough--the British have a blue water war fleet, the biggest and best equipped in the world; the Yanks have an improvised brown-water blockade-enforcing fleet with a few ships meant to reduce fortresses (the same types I guess as Milne regrets having too many of and not enough high-seas ships of the line). I very sadly predicted the RN would chew up the Union fleet, especially since they are being taken by surprise.

I didn't follow the battles around New Orleans well enough to see if anyone on the Union side got away in anything at all, to sound the alarm at landed bases farther east on the Gulf.

About all those scattered forces could hope to do though is put to sea at once, hoping to link up with others on their way to Key West and around to the Atlantic--where in turn they would still be running a gauntlet up the coast to Union ports. Basically it is every detachment to itself, at least until it finds another and consolidates with it; then they might have a chance to not be found by a larger British squadron before they reach the Chesapeake.

How soon will the capital learn of the early British attacks? Even if some fast frigates are spreading the alarm along the Gulf coast, and some squadrons can round Key West and make their way north, the Union does not command the telegraph lines, so the first news would come coastwise--if it can run the gauntlet!:eek:

I'm going to hope that there are Union spies in the Confederacy--I know for a fact there were some, such as the ring that involved Jefferson Davis's own house slaves reading the correspondence on his very desk and relaying the contents to a woman in Richmond who dispatched it straight to Washington. So it may be that a Union outpost in Biloxi or Pensacola can commend a message to a spy who sends an apparently innocuous message over commercial Southern telegraphs to someone who can relay it to Washington. Thus the alarm might be sounded in the White House within a day or so of the actions at the Mississippi mouth--if indeed someone in Louisiana has not already sent the message.

Thus I can hope that by the time Union fleet elements make their way to the Chesapeake mouth, orders are waiting for them to group there.

Even then, they are in trouble with Virginia commanding a lot of the Chesapeake shores, and of course the RN is going to pour in there, to ream out the Union ships there, bombard and possibly take the ports, focusing on the arsenal/shipyards--this will bring Washington DC under the RN's cannons of course.:eek::( If this happens the capital will have to be evacuated and moved God knows where.

I wonder if there is any hope the Union Navy, at least the parts that escape the scourge along the Confederate Atlantic coast, can concentrate in the mouth of the Chesapeake strongly enough to hold against the RN coming in there. On land they are isolated--the Union held key points such as Fortress Monroe at Hampton, Virginia all through the war OTL, but that was of course because they largely commanded the sea and could bring in supplies and reinforcements either down the Atlantic coast or down the Chesapeake. If they can hold at the mouth of the Chesapeake, they can at least keep the bay supply line open despite Virginian attempts to interdict it, I'd think. But even before the surprise strikes started to decimate the Union fleet I'm not sure it would have been strong enough to hold there even with supply lines unimpeded--now of course it has already lost a lot of force and will doubtless lose more before the remnants can retreat that far north.

And they can't just defend that one point; they have to try to protect New York and its area, and New England shores all the way up to Bar Harbor, Maine.

But if the British can break into the Chesapeake, the Union not only loses its presence in Virginia and probably all control of Maryland and Delaware; Pennsylvania is open to invasion too, and New York City can be cut off on the landward side even if the Union defenses of the port itself are strong.

Once Lincoln gets word of the earlier-than-expected RN strikes, he will have to conclude Palmerston ordered a contingent war plan and he cannot wait for a formal declaration from London.

I daresay, this being the 19th century, that he and other Unionists, American and sympathizers overseas, will make much of this ungentlemanly behavior--if ultimately the Union can survive and then prevail, the British can hardly be surprised if Americans give their envoys little trust. If the Yanks can win, even though they can hardly inflict the sort of defeat on Britain the OTL Allies did on Japan, the "Day that Lives in Infamy" and the general notion of British surprise attacks will live on for generations in American mentality.

(Well heck, OTL, ask the Italian Navy survivors at Otranto how they thought the RN and IJN compared in that respect...:p)

That's if they can win. If the Union goes down in flames fast and deep enough it won't matter what its apologists think.

The timeline has been moving at a fair pace I guess, but I expect to be following these posts for months, maybe years, before the Union side starts seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a lot of faith in the eventual might of the Union, should it be allowed to ramp up its potential strengths. But I haven't forgotten they are fighting the British Empire, which has a lot of already developed power and (should it hunker down into total war mode itself) also a great deal of potential, not the least of which is the ability to restrict Union resources to whatever lies at hand in their own internal territory. And that territory is vulnerable to raids or heavier strikes, seaborne along all the Atlantic coast, overland from the Confederacy--and overland/over the Great Lakes from Canada too.:eek:

That's why, impressed as I am by the will and determination of the Anglo-Canadians, and dissuaded from my hope the Franco-Canadians will actively help the Union cause (and only passively tolerate it if the Yanks are both strong and diplomatic, neither of which seems likely in the short run, the latter seeming less likely in the long run) I figure unless there is an unforeseen dove of peace that brings everyone to the treaty table before things get too much out of hand, that the Union will indeed attempt to steamroller Canada--and if they fail, the whole war is probably lost for them. Because leaving the Midwest as well as the southern tier of the Union exposed to enemy strikes is too much vulnerability.

Even though I despair of Quebecois help, I still think Lincoln had better order a move to cut Canada somewhere along the Saint Lawrence, to sever the west from contact with the Empire as a whole, and soon. If it is just the Canadian settlements of the west that threaten the Midwest, it is probably tolerable to let them stew for a while, and perhaps even negotiate some kind of formal truce on that frontier. One of Lincoln's liabilities is that of course Seward and others have been saying for years that the US should absorb Canada; if, holding Lower Canada, ideally Montreal and Quebec city themselves, Lincoln then refrains from striking at the west, he can add credibility to his claims that actually Seward et al repented of that a while back and anyway he's President, not them.

If West Canada is cut off from communications, they can honorably sit out the war counting merely holding their own territory as a blow for the Empire; if they are left in communications the British pretty much have to use the western lands as staging areas to strike at places like Chicago.

If the war drags on and the Midwest is becoming the vast arsenal I believe it can, the western Canadians will feel they have to act anyway, support from the mother island or no, for their honor as the Queen's subjects and for their own protection. I would hope by then that the Union defends with enough force to hold its ground but concentrates on defeating the Confederacy, and the RN at sea.

As I say, this timeline is probably going to go on a long long time before the latter is even a hope, and the former is going to be a grim slog with all the distractions draining forces available for dealing directly with the secession.

I can only hope that it will accelerate the process of seasoning the Union army, bringing the war-winning generals of the last years to the fore sooner (doubtless it will kill off some of them early too though:(. We ought to be seeing people we haven't heard of much OTL rise to greater prominence from the ground the fallen have vacated.

I'm not enough of a Yank-wanker to doubt that the British too will improve their tactics and strategies and that the Confederate forces will benefit from their advice as well as support.

I might just go cower in a hole and await the utter ruin of the Union actually.:eek:

Bottom line, for now the Union does well just to endure while being battered. The hope lies in an eventual comeback. Sadly by then I expect it will be a grim army indeed before it sees victory.

Oh, I'm still not quite done yet I guess.:p

It goes without saying that as soon as the Confederate regime knows of the British attack on the Union Navy, they will be moved to act. I have to leave it to real Civil War buffs to know just where they were disposed at this point, and with what reserves, but obviously a hard strike now will weaken the Union's ability to resist the RN coming in to aid the Rebels on the Chesapeake. Is it in their power to take DC themselves? I'd guess not or they'd have done so OTL. But Maryland and Delaware are both teetering the balance, being slave states. Obviously Lincoln will be watching their official state governments very closely but how likely is it that rival "free" governments of secessionists can form there, and sabotage Union control, and in so doing make the Unionists appear as alien interlopers to the two states' populaces at large (not counting the slaves of course...)

And meanwhile, much of my obvious enthusiasm for the Union cause comes from knowing that OTL, in the course of prevailing, they did eventually vindicate the claim they were fighting to end slavery. They got the support of much of the African-American populace behind Confederate lines long before making that clear, even after Lincoln took some steps to rebuke premature action along those lines IIRC.

But for the moment, Lincoln is still having to consider the importance of keeping the support of Marylanders and Delawarians (or whatever the right word for residents of Delaware is--my spell checker sure doesn't like that one!) so he's probably going to have to keep equivocating on the question of whether he plans to free any slaves or not.

Note that while we might from our safe uptime perspective condemn his hesitation, at least while he does so he is not violating his own word hitherto. He always was a relative moderate among the Republicans--condemning slavery in principle but making it clear he didn't think he came into office with a mandate to strike it down.

One reason I despise the secessionists is that he probably would have kept his word on the matter, had the Southern states remained in the Union--probably taking actions they didn't like much that would tend to restrict and slow the spread of slavery, maybe arresting it completely, but leaving it untouched in the South where it was strong. They jumped the gun because they were accustomed to controlling the Federal government and using it to advance their own agenda and would not be content with the status quo. Which is why there were so many Republicans, many more than there were Abolitionists--it was one thing to have a crusade to free people not everyone in the North, few people actually, regarded as true equals, but quite another to be beholden to men whose power rested on slavery and have the whole machinery of the USA turned to their advantage.

So, if Lincoln is not persuaded to come to terms and a solid majority in the North backs him, and if the Union can stand a while, eventually when the tide turns I expect the Abolitionist agenda to come to the fore and if the war against the South is won I expect it to happen with the help of African-Americans, as much as OTL or perhaps even more. Eventually there will be Emancipation, if the Union wins, and anyway on soil the Union then controls.

But while control of the Chesapeake teeters in the balance, I suppose Lincoln must equivocate. Perhaps he will turn to African liberation early if he judges holding the bay to be a lost cause, writing off Maryland and Delaware, or even hoping to multiply loyal forces to hold on there by emancipating and enlisting Africans. But odds are, for a while, anything like the Emancipation Proclamation will have to wait until the Union clearly has the upper hand--as it did OTL.

The game is somewhat changed now of course; OTL Lincoln's timing in that matter waited until he judged he would not look too hypocritical and desperate to British public opinion. Here the opinions of Britons have already gone by the board; he needs to focus on mustering American opinion pretty much exclusively.

I don't think Lincoln has any big opportunities in the way of sowing discord in European Great Power politics to tie down and distract both Britain and France. Had the French Emperor dithered, probably Palmerston would not have moved so decisively in the first place, foreseeing trouble in Europe (as the author noted and dealt with). With both those powers on the same side for now, I don't think even say the King of Prussia will see opportunity or temptation to jump into the breach on behalf of a bunch of republican rabble-rouser Yankee hypocrites. France in particular is in an optional war, free to send as much force or as little as the Emperor thinks he can spare; they aren't likely to weaken themselves so much as to lie open to a sudden move against them in Europe. Britain is more committed, but the power she has is naval, not so immediately relevant on the Continent anyway. Russia is, oddly, a long-time American ally of sorts, but that is mainly a matter of they and us having few points of contention or even contact. One hardly expects them to ride gallantly to Lincoln's rescue!:rolleyes: At best they will stay diplomatically friendly as long as the Union enjoys independent status. I daresay a fair number of fair-weather friends will congratulate the Americans if they can give the Lion a black eye--if and when they can manage to do so, and certainly not with European help. If the tide ever turns strongly against Britain, the vultures might start circling, but if that day comes the Yankees won't need their help all that much.

Now I do still have some hope that British public opinion might still be a factor, but every shot fired from a Union cannon on British warships or armies will tend to erode that resource; simple patriotism and love of the Queen, and her fallen soldiers and sailors, will quench flames of sympathy for the Unionists.

Nevertheless there was some such sympathy in some circles in Britain, particularly working-class. Most of them are disfranchised anyway and OTL holds out no hope of a revolutionary situation developing, and if the Yanks over time put up enough of a hard fight to actually carry hardship home to Britain, probably patriotism will smother rebellion. But there is also the possibility that the upper-class sentiments that caused Britain to toy with Confederate sympathy OTL will overreach itself and turn in contempt on the British working classes, and possibly then a revolutionary spirit that takes the Unionist republican, abolitionist cause as aligned with its own might flare up.

Or vice versa, the war might turn in the British point of view into a "dirty" war comparable to Vietnam in the OTL American psyche, if the Americans avoid flamboyant outrages against civilized warfare on the Canadian front anyway. And not a little war, it will be costly and distracting--an opportunity for many, to an extent, that will start turning into a drag and a drain. If tied down in the Atlantic Britain cannot respond readily to a crisis in the colonies, the cause might lose luster in Parliament.

So even without being in a position to overwhelm everything the British judge they can afford to throw at them, by holding and not yielding the Yankees might win some points over time.

If the Palmerston government goes into a strongly reactionary mode against rising dissent in Britain, I wonder what becomes of Karl Marx and Friedriech Engels in London. Will they be jailed (Marx not unlikely to die earlier in such conditions) or be persuaded to flee, running a dangerous gauntlet to a more or less welcoming America? Or to some other destination such as Australia?

Marx isn't much longer for this world, just a decade or so. The stresses of either being jailed or fleeing in exile again might do him in earlier.

He might have just enough time in America to win friends but not exercise his number one talent of making enemies!:p

Well, I have to see just what shape the Union comes out of this in, expecting as I say to wait years to see it.

If it comes out rather in a mess, but having not surrendered except to overwhelming force and still retaining its own autonomy though in straitened circumstances, I can see a school of American Marxists softening the proletarian-revolutionary message and focusing on Marx's nuts-and-bolts analysis of Capitalism itself to devise pragmatic machinery for a republican semi-command economy, enlisting capitalists and organized workers alike in a semi-military fashion to maximize US economic power and fashion a mighty war machine facing north and south and obsessed with getting command of the sea as well.

I guess I hope for better than that, at least an end to the threat from the south. But I will have to see.

TFSmith121

Banned
Apparently Britain has invented the wireless in 1862 and

[/QUOTE][![/QUOTE]

Seriously?

Apparently the British have invented the wireless and the Americans have invented the idiot ball.;)

"Hey, Lincoln, Welles, and Farragut - war is threatened with Great Britain; where are you going to go?"
"Derp, we're going to New Orleans, so the British can destroy us in detail, of course ... Where else would we go? Defend our own ports? Make ready for commerce raiding cruises? Help bring in the ships coming in from Europe with supplies purchased by the War Department? Start bringing Sherman's troops back from Port Royal? Naw, why would we do that? Especially because we know what the British did to the Danes at Copenhagen...we can trust them not to do anything like that....":rolleyes:

You may wish to consider why Burnsides' and Butler's expeditions were not dispatched until Trent was settled, historically. Apparently the Americans were not "quite" that stupid...

Anyway, good luck.

Best,

Last edited:
Apparently the British have invented the wireless and the Americans have invented the idiot ball.;)

This is some kind of joke right? Where in God's name would the British have used wireless? Dunlop has received orders from Milne roughly two weeks after Milne received a telegram from Lyons. Orders he's been expecting?

"Hey, Lincoln, Welles, and Farragut - war is threatened with Great Britain; where are you going to go?"
"Derp, we're going to New Orleans, so the British can destroy us in detail, of course ... Where else would we go? Defend our own ports? Make ready for commerce raiding cruises? Help bring in the ships coming in from Europe with supplies purchased by the War Department? Start bringing Sherman's troops back from Port Royal? Naw, why would we do that? Especially because we know what the British did to the Danes at Copenhagen...we can trust them not to do anything like that....":rolleyes:

So without even knowing what Farragut's fleet is composed of (its gunboats and a few fast steamers as a heads up) and reading a chapter specifically about Dunlop's fleet from Vera Cruz you assume that they're sending all their heavy ships to the Gulf to be defeated in detail?

And to boot Lincoln and the War Department are hyper-competent geniuses who can accurately predict every move the British will undertake and instantly assume they will be attacked like the Danes in the Napoleonic Wars? I'm sorry nobody is that competent or can somehow interpret British actions from 3000 miles away. Lincoln certainly couldn't OTL.

As another point what purchases would those be? The powder that has stopped flowing from Britain? The guns and cannons that have stopped coming from France and Britain since December?

You may wish to consider why Burnsides' and Butler's expeditions were not dispatched until Trent was settled, historically. Apparently the Americans were not "quite" that stupid...

Um where exactly did I say Burnsides expedition has been launched (oh right I explicitly state they haven't gone to North Carolina)? Where have I mentioned Butler's men have sailed for New Orleans? Where is the fleet of mortar boats that Farragut was supposed to be escorting if this is his original flotilla?

Ah yes I didn't mention Butler, and I also explicitly said Farragut's orders had changed.

Please either be civil, politely critical, actually read the material, or don't waste my time.

Last edited:
I'm no war buff; I'm a little better following naval battles than land battles I guess but I'm basically just a spectator. You laid out the odds fairly enough--the British have a blue water war fleet, the biggest and best equipped in the world; the Yanks have an improvised brown-water blockade-enforcing fleet with a few ships meant to reduce fortresses (the same types I guess as Milne regrets having too many of and not enough high-seas ships of the line). I very sadly predicted the RN would chew up the Union fleet, especially since they are being taken by surprise.

I didn't follow the battles around New Orleans well enough to see if anyone on the Union side got away in anything at all, to sound the alarm at landed bases farther east on the Gulf.

What Milne is regretting is not having enough smaller ships actually. While the battleships are good for pounding away at an opposing battle fleet or reducing fortifications, Milne wants smaller ships which are more suited to patrolling closer to shore and getting into the bays where they can pursue smaller vessels, and frigates/sloops/corvettes take less time to build up full steam, so they are much better in a pursuit role.

The New Orleans battle was pretty one sided, none of the US ships present were capable of outrunning the British squadron. However that's not going to hold true forever...

How soon will the capital learn of the early British attacks? Even if some fast frigates are spreading the alarm along the Gulf coast, and some squadrons can round Key West and make their way north, the Union does not command the telegraph lines, so the first news would come coastwise--if it can run the gauntlet!:eek:

The Union is going to learn much sooner than the British would like. Though there's not much the men in Washington can do with the information, men with initiative can certainly take advantage of it ;)

Even then, they are in trouble with Virginia commanding a lot of the Chesapeake shores, and of course the RN is going to pour in there, to ream out the Union ships there, bombard and possibly take the ports, focusing on the arsenal/shipyards--this will bring Washington DC under the RN's cannons of course.:eek::( If this happens the capital will have to be evacuated and moved God knows where.

Washington isn't quite ready to be put under RN guns :p there's a few nasty fortifications in the way of such a thing. There's also the Confederates who the British aren't quite working with at the moment. They may technically be co-belligerents but they aren't de-facto allies...

I wonder if there is any hope the Union Navy,

Oh there's always hope ;) It's not exactly staffed by prescient masters of war, but the men in charge didn't lack for personal initiative or brains that's for sure.

Once Lincoln gets word of the earlier-than-expected RN strikes, he will have to conclude Palmerston ordered a contingent war plan and he cannot wait for a formal declaration from London.

Correct. To be fair he has been prepping for war already, but when you think you have a longer time, and you're already fighting one war at home, have to maintain a pretense of a legal blockade, evacuate enclaves, ect... He has a lot on his plate.

We shall see how they all react to a sudden war.

I daresay, this being the 19th century, that he and other Unionists, American and sympathizers overseas, will make much of this ungentlemanly behavior--if ultimately the Union can survive and then prevail, the British can hardly be surprised if Americans give their envoys little trust. If the Yanks can win, even though they can hardly inflict the sort of defeat on Britain the OTL Allies did on Japan, the "Day that Lives in Infamy" and the general notion of British surprise attacks will live on for generations in American mentality.

The British attack is going to raise some eyebrows throughout the Union and other places too. It's going to have consequences, of that I assure you.

The timeline has been moving at a fair pace I guess, but I expect to be following these posts for months, maybe years, before the Union side starts seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a lot of faith in the eventual might of the Union, should it be allowed to ramp up its potential strengths. But I haven't forgotten they are fighting the British Empire, which has a lot of already developed power and (should it hunker down into total war mode itself) also a great deal of potential, not the least of which is the ability to restrict Union resources to whatever lies at hand in their own internal territory. And that territory is vulnerable to raids or heavier strikes, seaborne along all the Atlantic coast, overland from the Confederacy--and overland/over the Great Lakes from Canada too.:eek:

Thanks! I'm hoping to move it at a reasonable pace, but when I get into items that need more detail it becomes necessary to split posts up or have massive whoppers! I find reading medium sized posts to be easier to write/read/edit so I can say that by Chapter 14 we'll be up to May :p

That's why, impressed as I am by the will and determination of the Anglo-Canadians, and dissuaded from my hope the Franco-Canadians will actively help the Union cause (and only passively tolerate it if the Yanks are both strong and diplomatic, neither of which seems likely in the short run, the latter seeming less likely in the long run) I figure unless there is an unforeseen dove of peace that brings everyone to the treaty table before things get too much out of hand, that the Union will indeed attempt to steamroller Canada--and if they fail, the whole war is probably lost for them. Because leaving the Midwest as well as the southern tier of the Union exposed to enemy strikes is too much vulnerability.

Even though I despair of Quebecois help, I still think Lincoln had better order a move to cut Canada somewhere along the Saint Lawrence, to sever the west from contact with the Empire as a whole, and soon. If it is just the Canadian settlements of the west that threaten the Midwest, it is probably tolerable to let them stew for a while, and perhaps even negotiate some kind of formal truce on that frontier. One of Lincoln's liabilities is that of course Seward and others have been saying for years that the US should absorb Canada; if, holding Lower Canada, ideally Montreal and Quebec city themselves, Lincoln then refrains from striking at the west, he can add credibility to his claims that actually Seward et al repented of that a while back and anyway he's President, not them.

Canada is going to be interesting. There are some people that would offer their services to the US, but like 1775 and 1812 there's no one in the province who is going to rise up and embrace them as liberators, despite some Americans grasping that idiot ball suicidally firmly :rolleyes:

Lincoln et all are going to be sussing out some plans in the next interlude which should answer your questions!

As I say, this timeline is probably going to go on a long long time before the latter is even a hope, and the former is going to be a grim slog with all the distractions draining forces available for dealing directly with the secession.

I can only hope that it will accelerate the process of seasoning the Union army, bringing the war-winning generals of the last years to the fore sooner (doubtless it will kill off some of them early too though:(. We ought to be seeing people we haven't heard of much OTL rise to greater prominence from the ground the fallen have vacated.

Well my sincerest hope is that it's only a year long project or so :p

Bottom line, for now the Union does well just to endure while being battered. The hope lies in an eventual comeback. Sadly by then I expect it will be a grim army indeed before it sees victory.

Well remember, the Union is big, and can take some pretty heavy body blows (as they proved OTL). The British can certainly hit hard, but the question is whether they can land a knock out punch at an early enough date to force a peace treaty.