Wrapped In Flames

The Terror-Dacotah section of Chapter II has been edited and hopefully presents the POD just as well while capturing the confused nature of the incident as I hoped to portray it.

There will be a narrative section incoming sometime over the next week with Chapter III following it.

Probably a different "Christopher Lee," however...

May speak with a entirely different accent.;)

Best,

What's wrong with this one?

baddest-man-in-the-world.jpg

What's wrong with this one?

Don't think he's descended from this guy at the left, however:

lees-surrender.jpg

Grant looks like he's about ready to say "sign, damn you!"

Best,

Well I had just watched the Hobbit a few days previous and on realizing I needed a name for the author of the text just said 'oh why not?' and threw it in!

If you just happen to read those sections to the sound of Christopher Lee then it's a nice coincidence one would think ;)

TFSmith121

Banned
Take care of the Lady Victoria...

Take care of the Lady Victoria ... leave Lincoln to me...

Yes, my Lord Palmerston....

;)

Best,

Interlude I

Fulford homestead, Brockville, Canada West, December 9th 1861

The December snows had not come hard yet, but Hiram Fulford still trudged through the muddy path leading up to his home as though he had two feet of snow ahead of him. It had been a warm day and the ice had melted slightly, allowing the ground to suck at his boots. It was now he was glad for the newly issued boots passed out when the train had arrived in Brockville to arm the Brockville Rifle Company. He even had a new uniform to wear with it instead of his old moth eaten red jacket that must have sat in the stores at Fort Wellington since 1812. His wife had said he cut a dashing figure in the uniform, but he still scraped his boots on the door siding, he’d get a broom to the back if he tracked dirt through the house.

The farm was a small well to do establishment, with a great barn off to one side sheltering a few cows and pigs alongside the family plough horse. A few chickens pecked around at the dirt near the barn looking for scattered seed, and he heard the clucking of the rooster off near the rear of the barn. His horse whickered at him from across the garden where it was stabled, and he smiled as he saw his little home for the first time in weeks. It didn’t look like much under the slate gray sky, but the long wooden cabin with an old addition had sat there for nearly one hundred years and he expected it to stand for another hundred more.

He stepped through the door and felt an immediate change from the weather outside. The fire in the hearth was roaring and he could smell a stew cooking in the pot. His three eldest daughters looked up from where they were mending clothes, and his second youngest son was fixing a pair of boots by the fire. Suddenly a tiny form rocketed toward him and latched onto his leg.

“Da! You're back!” ten year old George said burying his face in his father’s uniform trousers. The girls began to get up and greet him excitedly and his son stood up with a profound look of relief. His wife, Martha, looked up last with a smile on her face. She was trimming candles at the table and she put her tools down and walked over and pecked her husband on the cheek.

“Welcome home my dear.” She said affectionately grabbing his arm. Hiram smiled and kissed her back, he heard his daughters giggle but brushed it aside. It might be one of the last times he saw her.

“Only for a little while I’m afraid.” Hiram said ruffling George’s hair. “Could only convince the sergeant to let me come back for one day to drop off some money and collect some things. They’re not exactly overflowing with equipment in Brockville so I came to get Father’s old canteen and my own for William.”

“Where exactly is William?” Martha asked looking slightly worried.

“Out feeding some scraps to the pigs. He’ll be inside in a moment.”

“Good!” Martha said beaming “I’ve made stew for lunch with some smoked pork so we’ll fatten you up before the army takes you away from me, for now at least.” There was a slight strain in her voice as she said it, but she hid it well Hiram thought.

At that moment the door opened again and his eldest son, twenty-one year old William, strode in the door. His sisters eyes went wide and his brother seemed to openly gape. Young George let out a cry of delight. William did cut a dashing appearance in his uniform, he had made girls swoon before with his broad shoulders and quick wit but now with the sharp red uniform and the ghost of a moustache on his lips and his dark hair framed by a service cap he seemed the picture of military discipline. God willing he lets the damn thing get dirty if his life is on the line, the elder Fulford thought with mild exasperation as he recounted in his head the supreme care his son had taken in keeping the uniform clean. The sharp words of the company sergeant had helped though.

William stood erect grinning like a conquering hero for a moment, before a purely boyish grin cut through his military demeanor and he exclaimed.

“Hello ma! Is that lunch I smell?”

His sisters and brothers all laughed and Hiram himself grinned. Martha shook her head and walked over and took him by the arm while congratulating him on how wonderful his uniform looked. She also called for their daughter Dorothy to stir the stew pot. The whole family seated themselves now and the children set the table while Hiram and Martha discussed how the farm would be cared for while he was gone.

“And you must be sure to keep my brother Bill informed about the goings on here. He’ll look after you in case anything goes wrong. We’ve always looked out for each other Bill and I, so he will be sure to keep an eye on you. Especially little George here.” Hiram said affectionately reaching over to tickle his son as he ladeled stew into a bowl. The younger laughed and the two brothers grinned and reached over to join in as they sat down for lunch. Martha sliced bread for them all and placed a plate of butter beside them on the table.

They all ate happily for a few minutes. Until George spoke up.

“Da, why do you have to go fight the Americans?”

“Well George, it’s because they insulted the honor of the Queen.” Hiram said through a mouthful of beef. George thought about that for a moment.

“But why do you have to save her honor?” He asked again.

“The Queen is our sovereign and she rules over us. By insulting the Queen they make us look silly and you don’t like being made to look silly do you?”

“No.” George said wrinkling his nose. He was quiet for a few more minutes then asked another question.

“How come they are coming to fight us if they just insulted the Queen?”

“George would you shut up and eat lunch.” William said with exasperation.

“William! Mind your manners!” Martha scolded.

“It’s ok son, asking questions is how you learn. George, the Americans have killed British subjects on the sea, now they attack British ships as well. They want a war, a politician named William Seward has been saying for years how Canada should become part of the United States. Now it looks as though he means to do it by force, conquer us against our will.”

“Why would he want to do that?” George asked.

“Because that’s what nations do sometimes George, they fight each other because they want more land. Like when the Hendersons and the McCleans argued over who that field belonged to.”

“But why can’t the Americans and the British settle their differences like the neighbors did?”

“There’s no court that a country can appeal to son.” Martha said gently “Sometimes things get violent. Like when you and your brother fight.”

“We do not!” George exclaimed defensively.

“Says you.” His elder brother said peevishly. George stuck out his tongue and his sisters laughed. Martha scolded each of them in turn and the giggling subsided as they tucked into their food again. Laughing continued for a few minutes before his middle son, Alfred, spoke up.

“So this is like when grandpa fought the Americans in 1812?” He asked.

“Much like it.” Hiram said taking another piece of bread and smothering it with butter. “And my grandpa before him. He fought the Americans all the way back in 1777 as a Loyalist to the Crown. After the war they chased him from his land so the Crown gave him land here. Then in 1812 the Americans came north again and tried to take our land from us. It looks like they mean to do so again, and that is why your brother and I are off to join the militia.”

“So we can drive the Americans south with their tails between their legs!” George exclaimed triumphantly stabbing his meat with a knife for emphasis.

“Don’t get too excited for war George. Your grandpa never spoke of it to me when he was still alive, and my grandpa rarely spoke of it at all, save one story about gutting a rebel at Assunpink.”

“Hiram! Don’t say such things in front of the children!” Martha cried putting her hands to her mouth in shock.

“I won’t say much more dear, but war is coming. The little ones should know it may not be pretty.”

She scolded him with a look which suggested they would speak more on it later and they continued their meal. As they did George reflected on how happy his family looked around the table, he wished he could stay and just be with them, but he could never look his friends who went and fought in the eye afterwards, especially not with the legacy of his grandfather to uphold, it would stain the family honor.

He looked to little George again and gave a very fond smile at the boy. If only we all had a child’s innocence, he thought, we could save the world a great deal of conflict.

Quebec City, Canada East, December 12th 1861

The carriage rolled heavily over the cobblestone streets away from the halls of the assembly of the Province of Canada. The horses breath caused steam to rise as though from a locomotive, and the drivers own breathing merely added to the light mist which headed out in front of the carriage. Its two occupants were bundled up securely inside, more comfortable than the driver, but not much warmer than they would have been outside.

Premier of the Province of Canada John A. MacDonald sat across from his Deputy, George Cartier as they discussed the results of today’s meeting. MacDonald was a tall man with a rough complexion and a nose which seemed constantly red. His brown hair stuck out from beneath his hat no matter how he kept it. His nose seemed red from the cold, and possibly also from the flask of whiskey which he produced from the inside of his coat and took a long draught of. Cartier looked on with mild reproach but did not say much. Shorter than his companion he had greying hair which was combed back under his had with close cropped side burns and no facial hair. He was the picture of a Canadien gentleman, or a seigneur.

“Well they didn’t quite savage the bill as I expected.” Cartier said leaning back in his seat.

“Nay they did not.” MacDonald said, the slight burr of a Glasgow accent still in his voice after so many years surrounded by Anglophones in Canada West. “Good old Sanderfield might have screamed bloody murder about the potential cost, but he’s not shooting it down either.”

“Galt with surely hound you over it though.” Cartier replied with a wry smile.

“Oh leave Galt to me, he’ll him and haw but once we can get the details hammered out he can probably pull something together. I’m more worried about what Williams up in the Citadel will have to say.”

“Probably the same he has had to say since he arrived. We are not doing enough and we don’t have enough men.”

“Bah he always complains about that. Doesn’t offer a pence to provide for the defences, but always says we don’t do enough to keep our own homes safe. As though 25,000 men under arms weren’t enough!”

“The Americans have put hundreds of thousands into the field though, I can see why he is irritated at our numbers.”

“Unless the two sides come together to take the fight to Britain the Yanks can’t take both of us on! I still don’t believe even that blusterer Seward could want to go to war over this! They’ll have to bow to pressure sooner or later, no matter what the papers say.” MacDonald replied taking another draught.

Cartier thought a moment before he replied, not in the least because his seat was jostled by a sudden bump as the carriage struck a rut in the cobblestone streets. He was never so sure about the overconfidence some Englishmen had about a fight with the Americans. The same type of overconfidence had carried him into the disastrous rebellion in 1839, and he remembered well how much that overconfidence had cost. He folded his gloved hands on top of one another before speaking again.

“How can we be sure though that the Americans will not come to their senses and simply fight Great Britain? She is their natural enemy, and a war could well reconcile the two. It almost did in 1859.”

“Well two great nations don’t go to war over a pig is how I heard it.” John A. chuckled.

“And what about the blood of an Englishman?” Cartier replied raising an eyebrow. MacDonald leaned over and spat out the window.

“There’s what I think of that! They killed a British subject as good as if they’d just murdered him. They had no right to seize that vessel, not a one. Yet they did it anyways. Britain must defend her honor, no one pushes the Empire without getting a shove back.”

“Speaking of such, what did you think of Dorion today?”

“Dorion and his pack of monkeys were doing what they always do, screeching for Reform while threatening to topple the government. I can expect nothing less from that radical. He detests me for the fact that I’m English, and he wants to bring you down since you betrayed the ideas of his precious revolution.”

“I did no such thing.” Cartier said, his eyes darkening.

“Peace old friend, you know what I mean. He still talks of revolution with his allies, though I doubt he believes in it, and runs on the same platform Papineau and his ilk did in 1839, despite all the changes wrought since then. Only the last vestiges of his movement still support him.”

“Yes he does keep winning in the old strongholds of the Patriotes.”

“The trouble is that we should be thinking on whether that concerns us or not.” MacDonald said thoughtfully.

“I still have friends at the Institut, I’m sure they will tell me if he plans on doing anything stupid.” Carteir replied letting his accent creep in somewhat thicker. MacDonald nodded.

“It looks as though he has lost Brown’s confidence though.”

“Yes George Brown was largely silent during today’s proceedings. He seemed pensive.” Cartier replied.

“Probably wondering if we’ll be looking at any of his old friends over the issue of annexation from back in ’49. That would give him something to write about in the Globe.” MacDonald said chuckling.

The Globe was the most prominent newspaper in Canada West, operating out of Toronto it was widely seen as the mouth-piece of the Clear-Grit Party and its supporters. It had also been launching unceasing attacks against the MacDonald-Cartier government for over a year. Brown was the owner, and his editors loyally printed the party line. Cartier wondered what they would make of the militia debate.

“We shall see, remember, all John. S. must do is get at least Dorion in his camp and he can bring down the government. He may not attempt to during the present crisis, but he will certainly remember everything we do now. And he will hold it against us in the Assembly later on. We should tread carefully lest some of your Liberals be tempted to cross the floor too.”

The carriage came to a stop and the driver let out a ‘Whoa’ as they parked in front of Cartiers home in the city. John A. reached out and shook his friends hand.

“We can speak of it tomorrow, you’re sure I can’t entice you to dinner with myself and Tache?” he asked. Cartier shook his head.

“Not tonight my friend, perhaps another time. Say hello to the children for me.”

“I shall, a pleasant evening to you George.”

“And you as well John.”

----

Well here's my first stab at a narrative interlude. I've probably mucked up on the proper voice for John A. and Cartier, but I think I've captured the gist of how one of their conversations might go, John A. could be remarkably insensitive about things and it's shocking that he and Cartier managed to get along so well OTL to even manage the coalition sometimes.

It also behooves me to mention Hiram Fulford is a real person (though whether or not he was a member of the Brockville Rifle Company or Brockville Volunteer Company is unknown to me, but considering his family pedigree (which I've copied from memory here) it seems likely). His son (little George here) is the most famous of his prodigy going on to patent and make millions off of Dr. Williams Pink Pills For Pale People in the 1890s and then building this lovely house in Brockville.

Hopefully it's not too bad and the next interlude will be alright :p

Chapter III will be up later in the week.

Last edited:

TFSmith121

Banned
Nice interlude...

The iron pills magnate of Ontario may end with a different career, presumably.

Why Brockville and the Fulfords, if I may ask?

I thought the MacDonald-Cartier conversation was nicely done; aren't they wealthy enough for their own carriages, though?

So it is December and the balloon has yet to go up - peace at Christmas?

Best,

The iron pills magnate of Ontario may end with a different career, presumably.

Why Brockville and the Fulfords, if I may ask?

I thought the MacDonald-Cartier conversation was nicely done; aren't they wealthy enough for their own carriages, though?

So it is December and the balloon has yet to go up - peace at Christmas?

Best,

Oh more than likely, shame about that house too...

Brockville was one of the larger towns along the St. Lawrence and a spot that the old Crown Loyalist, post 1812 immigrant types of Anglophones in Canada really held sway (the town was named for Sir. Isaac Brock after all) so I figured it would be a good place to showcase how that section of the populace would feel. Contrasting it to the small r republican sympathizers of the rural Niagara Peninsula and the Francophones of the Lower Canada St. Lawrence watershed. Whom I may attempt to portray later on.

The Fulfords are because I have a familiarity with them from working at Fulford Place actually, so when looking for a non-fictional example of descendants of Crown Loyalists they seemed like a logical choice just so I could avoid making a whole family up.

Though Cartier would own his own carriage, I do understand that the two men would often carriage-pool (for lack of a better term) to ensure uninterrupted conversation on certain subjects.

And thus far peace on Christmas, the government in Whitehall is currently debating how best to respond to all these events while waiting on official American correspondence, and the government in Washington is currently attempting to plan a spring campaign while managing the mother of all diplomatic crisis at home.

Time constraints mean any real movement on either end isn't like to come until January/February.

Last edited:

Saphroneth

Banned
However, the raiders had split into two groups at this point. The other, under the energetic young lieutenant Bennet H. Young, had split off to deposit their winnings while the others were to lead the posse to the nearest Canadian settlement then disperse.

Grammatical point - the bolded words should be "the one" and "the other was" not "the other" and "the others were"

I think you also did the "your back" instead of "you're back" once, but aside from that nothing jumps out.

Last edited:

TFSmith121

Banned
Okay, fair enough ... thought you'd go for the Denisons

Oh more than likely, shame about that house too...

Brockville was one of the larger towns along the St. Lawrence and a spot that the old Crown Loyalist, post 1812 immigrant types of Anglophones in Canada really held sway (the town was named for Sir. Isaac Brock after all) so I figured it would be a good place to showcase how that section of the populace would feel. Contrasting it to the small r republican sympathizers of the rural Niagara Peninsula and the Francophones of the Lower Canada St. Lawrence watershed. Whom I may attempt to portray later on.

The Fulfords are because I have a familiarity with them from working at Fulford Place actually, so when looking for a non-fictional example of descendants of Crown Loyalists they seemed like a logical choice just so I could avoid making a whole family up.

Though Cartier would own his own carriage, I do understand that the two men would often carriage-pool (for lack of a better term) to ensure uninterrupted conversation on certain subjects.

And thus far peace on Christmas, the government in Whitehall is currently debating how best to respond to all these events while waiting on official American correspondence, and the government in Washington is currently attempting to plan a spring campaign while managing the mother of all diplomatic crisis at home.

Time constraints mean any real movement on either end isn't like to come until January/February.

Okay, fair enough ... thought you'd go for the Denisons.;)

Best,

Chapter III

“Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.” Ecclesiastes 7 verse 9.

Trent-Affair-2.jpg

Contemporary Caricature of the Trent Crisis

The December Ultimatum:

“News reached London of the duel between Dacotah and Terror on December 1st. Palmerston was described as falling into a fit of apoplexy, and even the usually reluctant Somerset was found to be vigorously pushing for a response. The papers handled the matter about as well with proclamations of outrage and demands for war to be immediately declared. The men of Whitehall were far more diplomatic than that and by December 7th the Cabinet had again met to discuss the matter. Though there was concern over Napoleon III’s ambitions across the globe the assurances from November 29th and those again given by the Comte de Flahaut, Charles Joseph on the 6th assured Palmerston’s government that Napoleon’s court would back whatever stance Britain took against the Union.

To that end it was determined that the thirty-thousand men to be dispatched to the Canadas would be reinforced by cavalry and artillery and a further twenty thousand men to be put on alert in case of war and for the planning of a system of convoying necessary materials in case of attempted American raids. In an unusual show of fitness Somerset began to increase his efforts and it was determined that by the end of the month Milne should have the full sixty-five ships he had requested, and Palmerston felt that the Channel Fleet should be placed at his disposal upon the outbreak of war. In Lisbon already a large force of ships under Rear Admiral Sydney Dacres was gathering to be sped to North America, with vessels taken from the Mediterrenean Fleet, Channel Fleet, and the reserve.

However, just as importantly it became necessary to draft a statement which would make the British demands known. For that though Palmerston was waiting for a full review by the Admiralty and Law Office regarding the legal nature of the American actions which would be submitted on December 9th. The government concluded that the United States seizure of her ship and the Confederate diplomats was against all maritime laws and a gross insult to British national honor. To that end they drafted what has become known as the December Ultimatum. It had six points:

1) The immediate return of the RMS Trent and the Confederate commissioners
2) The dismissal of both Captain Wilkes and Captain McInstry from naval service
3) The issuing of a formal and public apology on the part of the United States government for the actions undertaken by members of its Navy
4) The United States would pay for the damages to HMS Terror and in return Her Majesties government would furnish funds for any damages to USS Dacotah
5) The blockade of the Confederate States would come under the scrutiny of the Royal Navy and the United States Navy would endeavor to cooperate to the fullest with the Royal Navy in order to prevent a breach of maritime law
6) Furthermore all British ships caught attempting to run the blockade would be turned over to British authorities in either Bermuda or the Bahamas to be adjudicated by Royal Navy Courts

The Cabinet felt these demands to be reasonable, and Queen Victoria was in agreement. How much attention the Queen paid to the points of the ultimatum is not known. What is known is that Victoria was deep in mourning at this point and had been shut away in Windsor Palace for over a month having little to do with the running of government. Some speculate that had Albert still been alive the Royal Couple may have done more to soften the letter of the British response, but with the nature of the provocations and misunderstandings having taken place over October and November this is of course, up for debate.

Meanwhile the Cabinet would wait for the American response to the events of the last month before formally sending the contents of their deliberations…”
Empire and Blood: British Military Operations in the 19th Century Volume IV, Sir Christopher Lee, Imperial Press, 1989

Sharp_border_collie_Victoria_Balmoral_1867.jpg

Queen Victoria was in deep mourning at the time of the crisis.

“Lincoln’s cabinet was thrown into chaos at the news of the Terror Dacotah incident. This was also coupled with the results of the release of the Confederate raiders from the British North American courts which led to public outrage across the North. Papers from Detroit to New York were printing outraged editorials condemning Britain’s ‘gross interference’ in American affairs. The release had merely added to the immense anger being expressed in the North at news of the duel between the warships. There were demonstrations demanding war or British compensation. British merchants in Boston were even attacked by mobs near the wharf in the tumultuous first few weeks of December. News from Britain announcing similar such demonstrations against the Union simply added fuel to an already volatile fire…

…Seward despite being known for his bluster was adamant that the British be placated to within a reasonable extent. Welles was furious at the wrecking of a navy vessel and was demanding stern diplomatic action. Chase for his part was attempting to deal with the fallout as there were runs on banks and lenders across the Union had voted to suspend specie payments, which was causing price speculation and attempts to invest in gold and saltpeter which were driving prices through the roof…

Lincoln was of a mind to appease all interests but found himself besieged by a series of increasingly impossible demands. He had to both sooth public opinion at home and sooth the British ambassadors in order to convince them of America’s good intentions. Despite being convinced that America was not at fault for the Terror Dacotah incident and willing to release the commissioners he knew that he could not afford to look weak for either domestic reasons or for the sake of international prestige. Thus he was placed in a bind. It would be difficult to have one without sacrificing the other, and it left him with a series of bad choices that appeared to only have a less worse outcome. To that end he began drafting responses to the British inquiries.

Regarding the Trent incident he was willing to release the Confederate commissioners immediately while disavowing Wilkes actions. He was also willing to put the incident between the Dacotah and the Terror up for international arbitration, which his cabinet agreed would seem reasonable with the Americans being the more wounded party. On the actions of the Canadian government he wished to express his discontent with the issue of the court and urged cooperation between the two nations on policing the border and keeping it open for trade. He also expressed contrition over the deaths of the British sailors during the unfortunate incidents between their two navies. There was no mention of an apology or compensation for losses suffered. To him this seemed like the most reasonable compromise between two great nations. His Cabinet were for the most part, in reluctant agreement regarding the issue, there were many, like Welles and Cameron who would rather not have given an inch regarding the Dacotah. It was also agreed that the Commissioners should be released as soon as the American response was issued to show their good will.

So on the 12th of December 1861, the American response was set on a fast steamer across the Atlantic…”
Snakes and Ladders: The Lincoln Administration and America’s Darkest Hour, Hillary Saunders, Scattershot Publishing, 2003

“The American response arrived in London on the 26th of December. The Cabinet read it on the 28th and the response was yet again outrage. Though the Confederates had been released (and would in fact arrive three days later) there was consternation regarding what was perceived as the American refusal (or inability) to take responsibility for the actions of their forces. The disavowal of Wilkes actions seemed disingenuous after the attack on the Terror, though the Americans went on to disavow that too it was seen as unacceptable for that to simply be the extent of the American response.

The contents of the ultimatum would be debated for two days before Palmerston and Russell finally agreed that the demands drafted at the beginning of December were suitable to the task and their acceptance by the American government would be the end of the matter. Russell however in his urge to prevent war included within the diplomatic correspondence a private note addressed to Lyons to inform the Americans of the content of the note before it was formally delivered. The Cabinet itself had already agreed that upon the delivery of the British demands the American government would have seven days to deliver their acceptance of the demands, anything less would constitute an act of war and Lyons was ordered to close the legation in Washington and return home via Canada, but not before telegraphing Rear-Admiral Milne and Commodore Dunlop.

The British demands were shipped on January 2nd and would arrive in Washington on the 17th…”
Empire and Blood: British Military Operations in the 19th Century Volume IV, Sir Christopher Lee, Imperial Press, 1989

“…Lyons received them with some distress, but made an immediate appointment to see Seward. Lyons was well known for his pro-Northern sympathies, but he had been alienated in much of Washington society due to his eccentricities, and his distrust of the Northern Secretary of State, who had on multiple occasions made overtly hostile pronunciations against Great Britain and her colonies…

…Seward, well aware of the crisis brewing, cancelled all appointments for the day and accepted Lyons at his home in Washington. Upon the exchanging of pleasantries Lyons immediately delved into the topic at hand. He thanked Seward for the Americans prompt release of the commissioners and said it had gone some way to helping the American case. He stressed however that there was still considerable discontent within Britain over the American actions. Seward countered that Britain had inflamed American passions to such an extent as they had not been since 1812 and that he would be disappointed if Britain chose to involve itself in an internal affair of the United States. Lyons stressed that the British still did not recognize the Confederacy, and he was privy to no plans for such recognition in the immediate future. He informed Seward that Britain would fight to uphold her honor, and her rights at sea. Both men agreed that war was a result which was best to be avoided.

Soon they broached the subject of the British diplomatic response. Lyons did not inform him of the exact nature of the ultimatum but confirmed there were six points Britain expected to be followed, and informed Seward that these were the only terms London would offer on the crisis. Seward attempted to tease out the exact nature of some of the demands, and Lyons did confirm that a public apology was one of them. The two men talked past one another for another hour but found it impossible for reasons of decorum and privacy to continue speaking about the ultimatum. Lyons also informed Seward of the time limit his government had set upon the matter. They did eventually agree that it would be delivered in three days time to Lincolns cabinet officially. Lyons encouraged Seward to have his government see reason as; “War again between our nations would most likely be the greatest and chiefest calamity of our time.” Seward adamantly agreed, knowing full well the consequences for the struggle to maintain the Union such a war would entail. The two left on agreeable terms, but each dreaded the outcome of the next round of deliberations in the White House.”
Her Majesties Ambassador: The Life of Richard Lyons, Sir Joshua Pembrook, Oxford Publishing, 1962

William_seward.jpg
Richard_Lyons%2C_1st_Viscount_Lyons_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_13789.jpg

William Seward and Richard Lyons, the would be peacemakers.

“Lincoln’s Cabinet received the full documentation of the British ultimatum on the 20th of January. With the seven day time limit imposed on the British in mind his cabinet set to immediately debating it. Not surprisingly they were chagrined at each point of the ultimatum. While some was reasonable for America to do, all put together it amounted to America groveling in the court of international opinion and begging Britain’s forgiveness. Those demands could of course not be accepted. The government in London’s rigid stance on the matter further complicated any response that Lincoln’s government might give.

They had accepted the first demand in principle which made it a non issue.

The second demand however was but the first of five major problems. Welles, although holding a dim view of Wilkes, absolutely refused to dismiss him, and he refused to even consider dismissing McInstry who was guilty of nothing more than doing his duty. Seward, Stanton and Bates all disagreed with this action and were backed by the entire Cabinet with Lincoln not even seriously arguing the point.

The third demand was more contentious. Though again Welles and Stanton absolutely refused to agree to bow on that issue, Seward and Chase were more cautious about rejecting it. Seward was aware that it would cost face, but he was convinced that it would soothe the British into potentially dropping some of their other demands. Chase hoped that it would look to the public as though economic catastrophe could be averted as diplomacy ran its course. They argued with Lincoln over this issue for days as it was seen as the one that could potentially save the whole situation from disaster.

The fourth demand regarding damages and compensation was one which all agreed should be left to international arbitration. Though Seward was reluctant to have that said right away and preferred that it be left ambiguous so as to give room for negotiations from a third party. Welles however supported this demand, or at least he considered it and did not attempt to argue it down. Stanton was the most grudging in his acceptance as he felt there should have been little need to involve still a third European power in American affairs.

The fifth and six points were however, unacceptable to all. Stanton would exclaim “In the stroke of a pen they would exonerate themselves from lawful search by our ships and assume to police our own shores to their own ends! It is intolerable and I shall not stand for it!” This attitude was echoed by all; even Seward was adamant that such demands be rejected out of hand. Lincoln agreed, they were a direct challenge to American sovereignty and could potentially neuter the blockade of the Southern ports, as there was no enemy more dangerous in terms of production or carrying capacity than the British.

Of six demands only two had been deemed even barely acceptable. The remainder were seen as intolerable. There was little room for America to bow gracefully from the issue at hand, which is what London had indeed intended. Though Seward appealed to Lyons on the 19th for an attempt at stalling Lyons was forced to refuse. His hands were tied as much as Lincoln’s own government regarding the matter, and there was no guarantee that an appeal to London for more time would not be considered a delaying tactic and provoke immediate war…

…after six full days of deliberations Lincoln was forced to reluctantly admit that they would have to reject the British demands. All were aware of what this might mean, though they did attempt to leave the British with room to prevent outright war by offering the option of international arbitration of the whole incident. On the 26th of January Seward gave the formal reply to Lyons after a long and sleepless night relating the United States peaceful intentions and their wish to avoid further bloodshed between their nations.”
Snakes and Ladders: The Lincoln Administration and America’s Darkest Hour, Hillary Saunders, Scattershot Publishing, 2003

“Lyons accepted this with a heavy heart and sadly told Seward “Of course, it is superfluous for me to point out that this means war.” He and his staff had evacuated the British Legation in Washington on the 28th of January, and they would soon be joined by the French Legation on February 21st.

Before departing Washington however, Lyons transmitted two fateful telegrams, one to Rear Admiral Milne of the North American and West Indies Squadron, while the other went to Commodore Hugh Dunlop who commanded the British squadron based at Vera Cruz. They informed the two men of the closure of the Legation and of the military situation as he knew it. However, it also contained the request “Could you forward a letter for me to Antigua?” though at first glance a seemingly innocuous request, it was in fact the signal for plans laid long in advance…”
Her Majesties Ambassador: The Life of Richard Lyons, Sir Joshua Pembrook, Oxford Publishing, 1962

TFSmith121

Banned
How does one get a telegram from Washington

To Bermuda, Veracruz, or Halifax in 1861?

And why would the U.S. give Lyons access to the telegraph, anyway?

The British have declared war, apparently, or at least are threatening it, along with French; presumably their parties, if they weren't interned pending repatriation under neutral auspices for Adams et al, are going to be denied access to telegraph offices, placed in a guarded and sealed train, and routed by way of St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Chicago...;)

This is the Lincoln Administration, after all - they are not stupid and have no reason to allow Lyons to communicate with British military commanders, or anyone else, for that matter...suspension of habeas corpus and all that.

Best,