wi: the bismarck had encountered the uss texas in the denmark straits?

In the OTL, their were a couple of other incidents before the US entered the war. A few months after the Bismarck hunt, a German u-boat actually stalked the Texas. Than their was the sinking of a US destroyer by another u-boatin the Autumn of 1941.

The USS Rueban James (sunk 115 KIA) and USS Kearny (Damaged 11 KIA)!

(Weren't they the names of the 2 'Character' Ships in Red Storm Rising?)

With the U-boat vs destroyer incidents, you have them in vicinity of convoys, subs trying to do ID through periscope (and remember there were ex-US ships in RN service) so the "accident" excuse is plausible, whether or not it is truly the case. It's really really hard to make the case that firing on the Texas was an oops - even if it really was.

While the US military in early 1941 was very early in to expansion and modernization, industry had been ramping up to support the Allies since the war started, as happened in WWI. US in the war against Germany 6 months early actually makes it worse for Germany, as the USN comes in early to help the Brits, US war production begins total mobilization 6 months early and there is no Pacific distraction. With the USA on a war footing, will Japan still attack - hard to say. Certainly some of fleet will be in the Atlantic, but what is in the Pacific - air and naval and land - will be on much higher alert.

The USS Rueban James (sunk 115 KIA) and USS Kearny (Damaged 11 KIA)!

(Weren't they the names of the 2 'Character' Ships in Red Storm Rising?)

It was Pharris and Reuben James.

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS A REUBEN JAMES, Battleaxe wanted to know.

[Reuben James]: AT LEAST WE DON'T NAME WARSHIPS FOR OUR MOTHER-IN-LAW."

It was Pharris and Reuben James.

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS A REUBEN JAMES, Battleaxe wanted to know.

[Reuben James]: AT LEAST WE DON'T NAME WARSHIPS FOR OUR MOTHER-IN-LAW."

Ahhh yes that's the one (via Signal Lamp if I recall?)

Accidental gave my ancient much loved copy away to a charity shop with hundreds of other books :(

Ahhh yes that's the one (via Signal Lamp if I recall?)

Accidental gave my ancient much loved copy away to a charity shop with hundreds of other books :(

I feel your pain. I had to throw my old copy away when it literally fell apart. I bought it on a whim at Paddington on my way to visit Cardiff Uni was when I was 18. I finally threw it away when I realised that sellotape wasn't working any more...

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The last time a US 'battleship' (armoured cruiser) was destroyed by another nation in peacetime - we got

"REMEMBER THE MAINE, TO HELL WITH SPAIN"

Is basically what would happen (even worse given the USS Maine probably killed herself with a coal bunker fire....very common around that period....next to a powder magazine...and not destroyed by an enemy mine!).

Resulted in a war with Spain and a lot of Newspapers got sold.

So with Germany's Track record to date the sinking or badly damaging of the USS Texas would very likely result in change in the national opinion resulting in at worse a more agressive US involvement at best a full DOW.

However I agree that its unlikely that Bismarck would deliberately go after the Texas - but stranger things have happened in war - and Texas is a Pre-war -pre-Jutland vessel vs the 2nd most advanced Battleship in the world!

Bismarck wasn't the 2nd most advanced battleship in the Atlantic on May 24th, 1941. At best she was 5th (behind both North Carolina class ships and the KGV and PoW).

The USS Texas would radio that it had spotted the Bismarck. Its Captain would order battle stations as a precaution. However, in no way would USS Texas fire on the Bismarck. That is an act of war.

Likewise, the Bismarck would not fire on the USS Texas. Hitler was avoiding provoking the United States and did not want to give FDR a casus belli.

However, the Captain of the Bismarck would realize that Texas would be reporting on his movements. Likely he would radio back to Kiel for instructions, and it would go all the way up to Hitler.

Most likely one of two things would happen. If Bismarck stood a chance of evading Texas by hiding in fog and losing her, Bismarck would make the attempt. If not, Bismarck attempts to make it back to safe port.

I think there is an extremely low chance that the ships would fight each other.

Depending on how exactly the encounter was reported, the America First movement would react strongly.