TLIAW: Great Power Empire: China 1865

Japhy

Banned
I had a rather rough few days at work so I had to put this down but hopefully I'll have some more things up this week over the next few days.

Your point about this being a short timeline with a limited focus is well made; having said that, I'd love to see the effect this has on overseas Chinese communities.

I mean, it's not like there's much hope for a surviving Lanfang Republic, but still....

Actually, there may yet be hope for them. The Dutch won't occupy the entire place until 1884, which is 12 years away from where we stand right now in-universe........ ;)

Marc A

Well the basic thing to note is that this Timeline is not going to be particularly even as far as the passage of time goes, much like La Isla Blanca I'm really trying to cover the "Greatest Hits". Being as there's less overall history to cover its going to be a *bit* more detailed than that, but I wouldn't pretend that 12 years in universe is anything that wont be skipped over at the blink of an eye.

In regards to the Lanfang Republic, which I admit I had to go digging not though story notes but my university classes notes from several years ago to find info on, it wouldn't have survived the regime change. I view it as utterly reasonable and likely to say that the Dutch showed up in the 1864-1866 period and ended the whole show.

Do you think this will affect the Ottoman Empire as well then? When looking at history they tended to be treated remarkably similar by Europeans, although China was considerably worse, so if China can successfully start modernizing from a backwards nation of the East I see no reason it wouldn't inspire the Ottomans to do the same even more than our TL.

It would certainly create a very interesting and different world having both of them survive and then thrive.

I can honestly say I haven't thought about the Ottomans at all.

See Japhy, this is the problem with an interesting scenario- your readers keep demanding more. Look at poor Jonathan Edelstein- he'll begin a one-shot set in Burkina Faso and within twenty posts people are demanding to see how the butterflies affect Paraguay....

See Japhy, this is the problem with an interesting scenario- your readers keep demanding more. Look at poor Jonathan Edelstein- he'll begin a one-shot set in Burkina Faso and within twenty posts people are demanding to see how the butterflies affect Paraguay....

It shall be called The OP's Burden. :D

I noticed you read Platt's book on the Taiping civil war; have you read Meyer-Fong's What Remains? They worked together a lot when writing them, and I think of What Remains almost like a companion piece. Great look at the social changes brought about by the decay of the dynasty and ascendancy of local elites.

Also, has Yun Gaozu taken an era name yet? If he did, I must've missed it.

Japhy

Banned
Excellent job!

Thank you very much. I hope the rest meets expectations.

It shall be called The OP's Burden. :D

"TAKE up the OP's burden - "

Would admittedly be funnier if you guys weren't actually doing it. It was a witty poem, none the less.

I noticed you read Platt's book on the Taiping civil war; have you read Meyer-Fong's What Remains? They worked together a lot when writing them, and I think of What Remains almost like a companion piece. Great look at the social changes brought about by the decay of the dynasty and ascendancy of local elites.

Also, has Yun Gaozu taken an era name yet? If he did, I must've missed it.

I can't say that I have seen the book but I'll certainly have to look into it. Based on that I wish I'd seen it before I started the timeline, would have helped a lot.

And on the issue of era names, I have to shamefully admit again, I don't speak a lick of Chinese, so I'd rather avoid making an utter fool of myself trying to badly guess how to manage things.

Well, it does seem only fair to ask a question directly about China in the China-centric TL: what's happening on the western border? The Qing had a bit of trouble getting Sinkiang back in the fold, but then they actually stared down the Russians over the Ili Valley- how's the Lan Dynasty doing in terms of border security?

Well, to vaguely wander back towards China in this China-centric TL: what's happening on the western border? The Qing had a bit of trouble getting Sinkiang back in the fold, but then they actually stared down the Russians over the Ili Valley- how's the Lan Dynasty doing in terms of border security?
You mean the Yun Dynasty?

Japhy

Banned
Well, it does seem only fair to ask a question directly about China in the China-centric TL: what's happening on the western border? The Qing had a bit of trouble getting Sinkiang back in the fold, but then they actually stared down the Russians over the Ili Valley- how's the Lan Dynasty doing in terms of border security?

There was a very easy to miss hint about that in the last update. I'll throw another hint into the update I hope to have up tonight.

You mean the Yun Dynasty?

... Yes, absolutely, and I'm in no way annoyed at my mistake.

Now you know how I feel. At this rate I'm really wishing I'd just gone for the New Xia Dynasty joke.