Should the Church of Scotland and England be unified?

• Total voters
Chapter 1: The Scottish King of England
  • Chapter 1: The Scottish King of England

From The Union of Crowns by Robert William Johnson

“It was in January of 1603 when Queen Elizabeth, first of her name, had first developed a bad cold and had been advised by her physicians and her chief astrologer, Dr. Dee to move from Whitehall to Richmond – one of her more warmer palaces, out of fear for her degrading health. Once there she seems to have refused all sorts of medicine, fearing that they would exacerbate her situation, and as the Earl of Northumberland informed King James VI in Scotland, her physicians were concluding among themselves that ‘if this continues, she must fall into a distemper, not a frenzy rather a period of dullness and lethargy.’

1622190389253.png

Queen Elizabeth I of England

The deaths on the 25th of February, of the Countess of Nottingham, the Queen’s closest female confidante served to compound her illness as grief took hold and while all of Scotland stirred in happy anticipation of her demise, the Queen merely sat down reclining on floor cushions refusing Robert Cecil’s instructions and pleas to take to her bed. ‘Little man.’ She had told him it seems. ‘The word must is not to be used on princesses.’ She was 69, plagued with fever, worn by worldly cares and frustrations and most assuredly dying – so that even she was forced to at least accede to the demands and pleas of her secretary. Then, in the hectic hours of 24th of March, 1603, as the Queen’s labored breaths slackened even further, worrying the Royal Council even further, Father Weston, a Catholic Priest who had been imprisoned at that time in the infamous Tower of London, noted how ‘a strange silence has descended upon London…….not a bell rang out, not a bugle sounded at all, frightening even the most patient of men.’ Her council was in attendance, and at frantic request of both the council and Cecil, the Queen finally accepted James VI as her successor as Monarch and Sovereign of England, after years of holding her mind about the topic.

1622190425424.png

Sir Robert Cecil.

At Richmond Palace, leaving at dawn that day, Sir Robert Carey was informed by the Royal Council that he was to move north to the Scottish Kingdom to inform James VI that he was now going to succeed his cousin as Monarch of England. Carey covered 162 miles before he slept that night at Doncaster. Next day further relays of horses, all carefully prepared in advance guaranteed that he covered another round of 136 miles along the ill kept and ill maintained track known as the Great Northern Road which connected London and Edinburgh. After another night at Widdrington in Northumberland, which was his own home, the saddle weary traveler marched north in the last leg of his exhausting yet fast and breakneck journey. He was in Edinburgh by the next evening and though the King was newly gone to bed, the messenger was hurriedly conveyed to the Royal Bedchamber after the Royal Seal of England was shown. There, said Carey, ‘I kneeled by him and saluted him by his title of England, Scotland, France and Ireland.’ In response to which James VI gave Carey his hand to kiss and bade him welcome to the northern kingdom.

James VI had dwelt upon the potential difficulty of the fact that his succession wouldn’t be clear cut neither would it be clean, and as a result the idea of invading the northern English marches to press his claim to the country was still a tangible fear and as a result, the Abbot of Holyrood the next day, was urgently dispatched to take the possession of Berwick, the gateway to the south as it was called back then, as his English councilors pressed the new King to make haste for plans for James VI’s transfer to London were complete.

Summoning those nobles who could be contacted in the time available, he placed the government in the hands of his Scottish council and confirmed the custody of his children to those already entrusted with them. Likewise, his heir, Prince Henry, was offered words of wisdom upon his new status as successor to the throne of England. ‘Let not this news make you proud or insolent,’ James informed the boy, ‘for a king’s son and heir was ye before, and no more are ye yet. The augmentation that is hereby like to fall unto you is but in cares and heavy burdens; be therefore merry but not insolent.’ Queen Anne, meanwhile, being pregnant, was to follow the king when convenient, though this would not be long, for she miscarried soon afterwards in the wake of a violent quarrel with the Earl of Mar’s mother, once again involving the custody of her eldest son – whereupon James finally relented and allowed the boy to be handed over to her at Holyrood House prior to their joining him in London.

1622190462104.png

James I and VI of England and Scotland.

Before his triumphant journey to England however, James VI had other things to attend to as well. On Sunday, the 3rd of April, he had to attend the High Kirk of St. Giles in Edinburgh to deliver a speech in which he asked his subjects to continue in ‘obedience to him and agreement amongst themselves’. There was a public promise too, that he would return to Scotland every three years, and a further suggestion that his subjects should take to heart upon his departure since had had already settled the matters of Kirk and Kingdom. All that remained after that address to his subjects was the plea to the council for monetary resources, since he barely had sufficient funds to get him past the old border, and a series of meetings with both English and Scottish officials and a mounting flood of suitors already seeking lavish rewards and promises forced the council’s hand in giving James VI the money he required. In the first category, Sir Thomas Lake, Cecil’s secretary, who was sent north to report the King’s thoughts as he became acquainted with English affairs and businesses, and the Dean of Canterbury who was hastily dispatched to ascertain James VI’s plans for the Church of England. To the second belonged a teeming self seeking thong of lower nobility. ‘There is much posting that way.’ Wrote John Chamberlain, a contemporary recorder of the public and private gossip of the time. ‘And many run thither of their own errand, as if it were nothing else but first come first served, or that preferment were a goal to be got by footmanship.’

In the event, James’s progress south might well have dazzled many a more phlegmatic mind than his, since it was one unbroken tale of rejoicing, praise and adulation. Entering Berwick on the 6th of April in the company of a throng of Border chieftains, he was greeted by the loudest salute of cannon fire in any soldier’s memory and presented with a purse of gold by the town’s Recorder. His arrival, after all, represented nothing less than the end of an era on the Anglo-Scottish border. In effect, a frontier which had been the source of bitter and continual dispute over nearly a millennia had been finally transformed by nothing more than an accident of birth, and no outcome of James’s kingship before or after would be of such long-term significance. That a King of Scotland, attended by the wardens of the Marches from both sides of the Border, should enter Berwick peacefully amid cries of approval was almost inconceivable – and yet it was now a reality for the onlookers whose forebears’ lives had been so disrupted and dominated by reprisal raids and outright warfare between both sides of the now former border, by all rights.

1622190526286.png

Widdrington Castle, Newcastle.

The new King continued his march south, not allowing the growing rain to dampen his spirits as many thought it would. He stopped in Northumberland at Sir Robert Carey’s Widdrington Castle, Newcastle on his way to York where he attended the local nobility and sermons and bishops as he continued his triumphant march to the south. On the 14th of April, James VI reached York by which point he was already extremely impressed by his new kingdom. The vast abundance of countryside, the richness of English land compared to Scotland’s rugged and barren territories and even the quaint little villages that he passed was much in contrast to Scotland, delighting the new English monarch.

On his way to London, James VI continued to entertain nobility and commoners of high rank with his entourage. Queen Elizabeth I had controlled the stem of giving away titles, such that of Knighthood with ever growing presence, yet James VI gave away knighthoods and titles of chivalry as he pleased with his entourage. During the entire reign of the Virgin Queen, only 878 knighthoods were given out to the country, whilst James VI’s entire march from the Scottish border to London saw around 906 knighthoods given out by the new King. It was a quite careless gifting of titles to people who did nothing but flatter their new monarch, however it did allow James VI to gain some amount of prestige and popularity among the high ranking commoners, who benefitted most from the knighthoods. James VI was most definitely giving away knighthoods because he was happy and flattered, of that there is no higher doubt, and however we cannot solely identify his reasons of giving away titles so frivolously as simply being flattered. New research into historical figures have analyzed and have come to believe that James VI was trying to imitate the cult of personality that Elizabeth I had built around herself by gaining some modicum of early popularity in his new kingdom.

1622190605860.png

Londoners dying of plague.

But what should have been the climax of the entire trip down to London, was met with an anti-climactic end. London, the capital of England and said to be the flower of the British Isles, was ridden with plague and the death toll in the city remained somewhere between 500 to 800 dropping dead every day. As a result, the entry of King James VI of Scotland, soon to be King James I of England and VI of Scotland, was delayed until the next season, spring, as the royal entourage hovered around London, accompanied by around 500 to 1000 citizens of the outskirts of London. The new Prince of Wales, Prince Henry was sent off to Norfolk so that he would not catch the potential plague that was indiscriminate in its attack against humanity, whether they be commoners, peasants, nobles or royalty.

1622190637813.png

The Coronation of James I/VI

Even so, as the plague in London claimed the lives of around 30,000 Londoners, the coronation that occurred on the 25th of July, 1603, the feast of St. James the Great, was held in its normal grandeur and splendor, as citizens of London, many of whom had forgotten how a coronation looked like due to Elizabeth I’s long reign, came out in droves, despite the plague, to watch the coronation from the streets of the capital city.

By the time that James I/VI set out of London alongside his queen to go on a tour of the Southern Counties and Shires after the coronation period, the signs that the honeymoon period of James I/VI was coming to an end already beckoned the new monarch. The fact that James had already spent around 10,000 pounds on his journey to the south and had literally given away another 14,000 pounds in lavish gifts to nobles and oligarchs compounded with the fact that Elizabeth I’s massive funeral required 17,000 pounds to complete made the Royal Council and some members of the English Parliament grumble behind James I/VI’s back. The 400,000 pounds that stood in debt due to the previous Irish campaigns and attacks on the continent also compounded the financial situation of England. Robert Cecil wrote anxiously on the 18th of August, to the Earl of Shrewbury writing, ‘Our new sovereign, is going to spend nearly 100,000 pounds a year on his new mansion, which won’t even cost 50,000 in the worst of monetary days. Now think what the country feels and so much for that. The King must be reined in from these lavish spending.’

Some flaws of James I/VI’s characters also began to come up as the new King settled down in his new Kingdom. Some petitioners in Northampton who wanted to see their new king and petition him to act against some local corrupt clergymen who were exploiting the people, James I/VI had the surprised petitioners hauled up and rebuked for their manners, which was deemed to be little less than treason. James wasn’t inclined to play to the crowds either. Upon his entry to the capital after his southern tour, historian Thomas Wilson writes that the people started to miss the affability of their now dead queen, as the new King was much harder to speak with in the capital. James didn’t like to be looked on, that much was obvious by this point. Sir John Oglander also writes in his memoirs that, ‘Some people had come to the cathedral during our visit to see His Royal Person. Then, when His Majesty heard the news, he cried out in Scottish, ‘Gods Wounds! I will put down by breeches and they shall also see my arse!’”

1622190675663.png

Sir John Oglander

Yet if James’s improvidence and ineffability and disaffection to some of his Kingly duties were already emerging, other facets of his personality remained and continued to create a favorable first impression among many in the government and the country. The clergymen that the petitioners had asked to be investigated were in fact investigated and charged with corruption and exploitation and the facile and witty as well as oratory skills of James I/VI impressed many such as Sir Thomas Lake and Sir Roger Wilbraham. Even the critical and displeased eye of Sir Francis Bacon, who was displeased to have a Scottish man on the English throne, remained generally positive of the new King during his first meeting with the new King in Broxbourne. Foreign Ambassadors such as the Venetians, Tuscans and Neapolitans sang praises of James I/VI in their letters back to Venice, Florence and Naples.

Many liked the boyish attitude that James showed, seemingly a new breath of air for the formal and dreary courts of early modern Europe, however whilst this allowed the new king to create a new rapport among the people and nobility as well as the parliament, it also crossed the lines of decorum sometimes and embarrassed the king behind his back. For instance, when his favorite Sir Philip Herbert, whom he had created the Earl of Montgomery, married Lady Susan de Vere, who was also liked by the new King, in Whitehall in early 1604, the Scotsman was overcome with boyish high spirits and gave the new bride scores of gifts. He also wrote to Sir Dudley Carleton, ‘If Sir Philip won’t have her and was unmarried, I would keep her myself.’ It was a fatherly comment and an endearing one at that as it seems that Susan de Vere and James did have a father daughter like relationship with one another, but many doubted the light heartedness of the comment when heard through third and fourth hand sources, and began to spread rumors.

1622190711330.png

Susan Herbert nee De Vere, the Countess of Montgomery

Yet the adulation with which many Englishmen looked upon their new monarch, fake as it may have been on many occasions, perplexed the new king and definitely made James I/VI crave for more. In Scotland, the Lords and Nobles of the Highlands and the Clans could openly and frankly dispute words with their monarch and even sometimes usurp His power, however in England, courtly intrigues made such frankness impossible, and those who disagreed with their monarch spoke about it through twisting words, not speaking against their king directly. However James I/VI was also suspicious of his new realm and knew the inherent differences between the Scottish and English parliaments and knew that he would have to tread lightly between the two to make sure that he could consolidate his hold on both sides of his new realm. Sir Robert Cecil, the Secretary of the State of England under Elizabeth I was kept in his position and James I/VI very reluctantly under the influence of the new Earl of Montgomery and Earl of Shrewsbury, as well as Sir Thomas Lake, decided to take a small tutorship from his Secretary of State to understand the niceties of the English state that he would have to learn. James I/VI was definitely averse to the smaller niceties of kingly business, as his reluctance to meet commoners shows, however he was neither a fool nor a man who was out of the so called loop. As a result, together with Robert Cecil, Sir Thomas Lake and the two aforementioned earls, alongside other prominent members of English society, such as Sir Adam Newton (who despite being Scottish knew about English Laws quite extensively), and Sir Robert Carr (future Earl of Somerset), began to tutor the new English monarch on English Law and how to act in coordination between the Royal Prerogative and the Parliament of England, which placed subtle limits to royal power rather than the blunt limits placed in Scotland. [1]

1622190756925.png
    1622190775160.png

Sir Adam Newton and Sir Robert Carr.

By and large, James I/VI would leave behind a mixed legacy, as many things he did were excellent and good for the nation and many things he did sparked controversy as well, however the tutorship that he took from the Englishmen undoubtedly aided in his endeavor of the fact that he is generally well regarded today in the British Isles.

[1] – Our Primary PoD. James I/VI was asked to be tutored in English law and niceties but was avoided otl, something that was taken up ittl, making James VI more aware of the situation in England around him rather than the somewhat clueless monarch that he was otl.

Chapter 2: The Peacemaker
  • Chapter 2: The Peacemaker

“Though James I/VI was still getting to know England’s laws and parliament as he studied with Carr, Montgomery and Cecil about English Law and the Royal Prerogative, he was well equipped already to grasp the elements of struggle for power in the Whitehall and all the subtleties by which his predecessor had managed to maintain a fragile balance of powers and forces around her council table. The enmity between Cecil and Raleigh, for example, was in any case certainly less noisy than the kind of knuckleduster fuming he had been forced to contend with in Scotland, and he had been kept informed about multiple events by the letters of both Cecil and Henry Howard. Moreover, his opening moves on the broader front were wisely non-committal. One the one hand, he at once, provisionally confirmed the existing council in office, while choosing to release Lord Southampton and Sir Henry Neville from the Tower of London, where they had been languishing since the end of the Essex Rebellion. As a further gesture towards healing old wounds, and offering new beginnings, he also announced his intention of bringing up Essex’s heir in his own household – restored in blood and title, and reared in the companionship of Prince Henry, the Prince of Wales.

1622210856658.png

The 3rd Earl of Essex was raised in personal company of Henry I of Great Britain.

In the meantime, the immediate shape of the new king’s government had been decided on 3 May at Theobalds when he stopped at the home of Sir Robert Cecil on the final leg of his journey from Edinburgh to London. It was there that he had withdrawn with Cecil to a ‘labyrinth-like garden, compact of bays, rosemary and the like’ for an hour’s intimate conversation to confirm the latter’s primacy and seal, in the process, the rather more disconcerting triumph of Henry Howard – soon to become Earl of Northampton – and his sailor nephew, Thomas, who was swiftly promoted to the earldom of Suffolk. Charles Howard, too, who had commanded the English fleet against the Spanish Armada as Lord Howard of Effingham, duly retained the office of Lord Steward of the Household under his new title of Earl of Nottingham. In James’s view, it would have been the ultimate folly to discard those very men who had so strikingly demonstrated their level-headed competence in securing his succession, and who appeared to embody so strikingly all that typified Elizabethan wisdom and prestige. It was only natural, too, that five of his loyal Scottish lieutenants – Lennox, Mar, Home, Elphinstone and Edward Bruce, Lord Kinloss – should join the reconstituted council, since the court at Edinburgh had effectively ceased to exist, though for Sir Walter Raleigh and his allies, against whom Cecil and Howard had been so successfully poisoning the king’s mind, there was to be no crumb of comfort. Indeed, on 15 April James dismissed Raleigh as captain of his Guard, without financial compensation, and ordered him to leave Durham House in the Strand, which had been provided by the former queen for his private use over twenty years.

1622210904055.png

Sir Walter Raleigh.

Dark, saturnine and colossally proud, the 50-year-old Raleigh possessed a swagger that, in spite of his undoubted brilliance, could never endear him to one such as James, who regarded him purely as a reckless old pirate, opposed at any price to peace with Spain. To others he was a ‘Macchiavellian’ and an ‘atheist’, but if such terms bore no relation to his actual views, he was certainly no judge of character – and nowhere more so than in the case of the new king. To present James so early on merely confirmed Elizabeth I’s conviction that her favorite was no statesman, and the king lost little time in attempting to put the upstart in his place. When Raleigh presented himself before James at Burghley House, for example, he was merely treated to the kind of clumsy putdown that was the king’s stock in trade. ‘Rawly, Rawly,’ James declared upon their meeting, ‘and rawly ha’e heard of thee, mon’. Before long, moreover, the former royal favorite had lost not only the captaincy of the royal guard but the governorship of Jersey, the lord wardenship of the Stannaries’ and his monopoly on the sale of sweet wines. All in all, it may well have been no more than Raleigh’s presumption merited, but it was far more than one such as he could be expected to settle for passively. And, surely enough, this particularly glittering star of a bygone Elizabethan age would neither forgive nor forget.

Yet the flipside of Raleigh’s eclipse was the triumph of an altogether more accomplished politician. ‘The evidence of a king,’ James himself observed, ‘is chiefly seen in the election of his officers’, and in Sir Robert Cecil, at least, he had acquitted himself most favorably, notwithstanding the fact that the two men had precious little in common. Wholly unlike his new master, the principal Secretary of State stood, in fact, for calculated dignity and restrained decorum. And though he would be able occasionally to share a recondite joke with the king, the rest of their relationship would be largely artificial and careful judgment was brought to bear upon even the lightest or most minute details. If James wished to tease him clumsily on his puny figure and address him as his ‘little beagle’, this was a small price to pay for maintaining the reality of power in his own hands, and he was usually more than capable of enduring the king’s badinage under an umbrella of urbanity and stoical self-assurance. For there was a gravity and air of civilization about Cecil that placed even a long-serving king in awe of him – especially a King of Scotland whose provinciality was inclined to surface so frequently. Perhaps, indeed, the very banter that James directed Cecil’s way was itself a product of his own innate unease in the minister’s presence

1622210950240.png

Sir Robert Cecil.

The King also sought to ingratiate himself into English politics, and after meeting with Lord Mountjoy, with whom he was extremely taken, the King decided to end the 9 Years War of Ireland once and for all. On the 30th of March, 1603, Lord Tyrone had submitted to the Crown of England and the treaty had been extremely lenient on the former rebel Gaelic Lords of Ireland. As a result, many of the allied Crown Gaelic allies in Ireland were angered by the loss of potential land, territory and wealth at the expense of the rebel lords. Hugh O’Neil was allowed to retain his royal titles and lands, though slightly reduced, and he was forbidden from allowing Catholics into offices of power. James I sent an envoy to Lord Mountjoy asking the Lord to come to England with some of the pardoned Lords. Many in the Irish Nobility feared that James I was going to rescind the pardon that had been given to them, however the military situation in Ireland did not permit them to have a chance to escape, even if they wanted to.

1622211003121.png

Lord Mountjoy, the Pacifier of Ireland.

As a result, many Irish Lords came with Mountjoy not out of willingness but out of desperation and out of resignation that their titles and wealth would be stripped of their families. However much to their joy and the consternation of many English radicals in the English government, James I reaffirmed the lenient peace terms, and had only asked the Irish Lords to come to England for the oath of allegiance to take place in person. The Irish Lords, thankful of the clemency shown by their new sovereign gave their oath of allegiance and returned to Ireland, as paradoxically and ironically old Irish rebels to the Crown became Irish loyalists, and old Irish loyalists became Irish rebels to the Crown as situations reversed when the old Irish rebels were allowed to keep their lands and titles whilst the old Irish loyalists were forbidden from receiving new lands and titles, which angered them.

1622211042546.png

A propaganda poster showing an Irish Lord bowing down to James, likened to William the Conqueror.

James I/VI was also interested in keeping the peace in Ireland. The island had been pacified, and for moment, the majority of the native populace and nobility seemed to be loyal to the crown. As a result, he asked Lord Mountjoy to remain the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, as Mountjoy had continued to pursue a policy of reconciliation between Ireland and England. Mountjoy, most notably also pursued a policy of subtle missionary activities in Ireland in favor of Protestantism. Mountjoy intended to ultimately make sure that Protestantism could become the majority of the religious populace through subtle missionary work, which had a mixed success rate. Catholics remained the majority population of Ireland, however the missionary activities of Lord Moutnjoy ensured that by 1700, one third of the Irish population became protestant, however the number of Protestants in relation to the total share of Christians in Ireland refused to go above the one third mark. Nonetheless, beyond the spread of Protestantism in Ireland, which ensured some kind of loyalty between the Irish populace and the Crown, Mountjoy’s largely reconciliatory stance, also managed to foster some kind of loyalty between the English and Irish towards one another. James I/VI who detested war, and wanted to keep war as the last option, was largely delighted at the policy that Lord Mountjoy pursued in Ireland.

1622211151050.png

Philip III of Spain.

Speaking about peace, James I/VI was also insistent on ending the war between England and Spain. Not that many people were unhappy with the King’s decision, as the war was costing England a fortune, however the King was insistent that a peace treaty be concluded in a fast and appropriate manner. Early negotiations between the Spaniards and Englishmen had already taken place, when Archduke Albert, the governor of the Spanish Netherlands began negotiations in 1600, however the Spanish had rejected English demands in 1600 when the English had asked for warship rights in the English Channel to be exclusively English. Spain contended that it was absurd to expect the Sovereign of a worldwide empire to give up something to an English Queen who ruled only a few islands here and there. Despite the fall of negotiations in 1600, diplomatic routes were made open between England, and Spain, through the Archduke of Austria and his wife, Infanta Isabella. James I/VI also happened to be an idealistic man, a practitioner of Christian peace and unity and as the son Mary, Queen of the Scots, whose execution had started the entire conflict, he began to start negotiations with Spain. King Philip III of Spain, who had inherited the war from his predecessor, Philip II of Spain, had also found his treasury drained, and was amenable to peace and warmly welcomed English delegations to Valladolid.

1622211185821.png

Juan de Tassis.

The first and most pressing concern of the Madrid government was to improve their dire military situation in the Netherlands by reducing or stopping English interdiction of Spanish reinforcements to help the Dutch rebels. The first moves towards peace were taken in June 1603, when Juan de Tassis, the Count of Villamediana, headed a Spanish and Flemish joint commission which visited London and sought truce and good faith. Archduke Albert also sent his envoy Charles de Ligne, the Prince Count of Arenburg to London alongside de Tassis. As such, soon negotiations started between the two countries under the careful and watchful eye of James I/VI.

With international diplomacy out of the way, alongside Parliament and the Royal Council, headed by Robert Cecil, the government began to look into the economy of the country. To many economic historians, many argue that the early modern English economy was stronger than that of many other contemporary countries, including Scotland, Ireland and France. Contemporary glowing reports of the English economy weren’t just written down by nationalistic and patriotic Englishmen, but also many foreigners. Paul Hentzner, a visitor from Brandenburg in 1598 wrote down that “The soil is fruitful and abounds with cattle, which inclines the inhabitants rather to feeding that ploughing, so that near a third of the land is left uncultivated for proper grazing……There are many hill without one tree or any spring, which produced a very short and tender grass, and supply plenty of food to sheep, upon these wander numerous flocks of extremely white and whether from the temperature of air or goodness of the earth, bearing softer and finer fleeces than any other country I have been to.” [1]

1622211217458.png

An English farm in the 1600s

Under James I/VI the economy of the country was revitalized by the fact that English trade which had been subject to Scottish tariffs was no longer the case as the two countries were now in a personal union with one another. Scottish goods flowed freely across the southern border and English goods flowed freely across the northern border, allowing the accommodation of better free trade policies which was beneficial for the economies of both Scotland and England, as the price and wage markets of the Scottish and English economies recovered after the two countries united under one monarch.

With the economy more or less thriving, James I/VI had to turn his tired head towards the Parliament. James I/VI was a breath of fresh air for many in the English government. Despite the popularized idea that Elizabeth I was beloved by the people and elite, that was not the case for the latter during the time of her death in 1603. Elizabeth’s legacy to the new King in 1603 wasn’t a good one. A country at war, dissatisfaction in many quarters with the condition of the Church, a royal revenue system in dire need of reform, and the turbulent parliament of 1601 led to a dangerous political situation in England. Fears about parliament’s future existence in England were already prevalent and rampant before Elizabeth died. The queen’s attempts to raise extra-parliamentary taxes to finance the expensive wars against Spain and in Ireland, at a time when some Continental monarchs were seen to be undermining representative assemblies in their kingdoms, was the main reason for the suspicions many MPs in Jacobean parliaments had of the court’s ‘absolutist’ intentions, and for the expression of coherent constitutional ideologies that asserted parliament’s traditional rights and liberties which were felt to be under threat. In these circumstances, the task of governing Britain in 1603 was extremely difficult.

In line with his ideas of Rex Pacificus, the idea of a Peacemaker King, the tutorship that Robert Cecil and Adam Newton as well as the other English nobility had given James I/VI about English Law and affairs granted the new King with a lot of flexibility that allowed the man to calm the new Parliament, which was convened in late 1603 in November. There he addressed the parliament, and after months of studying English Law, he managed to impress many Members of Parliament when he articulately gave a speech thanking the Parliament for its service to England for centuries and he reiterated the fact that the Parliament of England was to stay inalienable as a part of the English government. He also raised concerns about the rather inefficient revenue system he had inherited from his predecessor, and asked the Parliament to join him to find a proper solution to the system to reform the economic system of England. James I/VI was also political astute. The man who had single handedly brought the Scottish Lords into line was not going to be a political fool. He liked Robert Cecil, and was a close friend to his chief minister, however he refused to be controlled by one faction in the court and parliament, and he immediately raised Henry Howard, one of Cecil’s rivals in government to become the Earl of Northampton, in an attempt to balance the two factions in the English government back then, dominated by the Cecils and Howards. James’s experience in coping with the factional juggling of Scottish politics made him adept at balancing factions in the English court, and acting as an arbitrator, defusing tensions within the English Church as well.

1622211272501.png

Henry Howard

And while many historians have also lambasted James I/VI extravagance, which was at times extremely costly, modern historians have reviewed contemporary information, and found out that James’s ‘extravagance’ was in part to be explained by his perceptive recognition that it was essential for successful early modern monarchs to be bountiful. The distribution of royal largesse helped to secure the cooperation between leading magnates and the crown, which was vital and instrumental, as under the Tudors, the magnates had been alienated. The inclusion of the magnates into the Stuart court allowed James I/VI to properly reform the growing economy of not England, not Scotland, not Ireland, but a project that he himself called, the economy of Great Britain.

And herein we come to James I/VI greatest legacy. The Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is regarded as the greatest achievement of James I of Great Britain. This project, which culminated in the 1612 Acts of the Union began in 1603, when James I gave a speech in front of parliament, telling them subtly, that unity was required now more than ever, as the Scots and Englishmen threw aside centuries of enmity to become untied under one monarch. It is there that he first used the word, of the Great Britain, when he said, “It is now, that the people of Great Britain must stand united.”

1622211358743.png

The flag of Great Britain that was proposed by James I/VI

James I/VI idea of a united kingdom of England and Scotland wasn’t unpopular, in fact the moment he had been named heir of England, ideas of uniting the two kingdoms, in the same manner as the Poles and Lithuanians happened, started to grow. The idea was very popular in Scotland, as many believed that the idea of union with England would make Scotland economically prosperous and would allow Scotland to grow out of its economic dependency on France, who after the past few years had become more and more unreliable as a Scottish ally. [2]

As the parliamentary session of 1603 ended with massive applause for the new English King, James I/VI turned his eyes towards the problem of the Puritans and Catholics, and the undercurrent of religious disharmony in England. The great manner with which James I/VI would solve the issue would ensure that his future political projects would become extremely successful.

---

[1] – Real quote

[2] – During this time, the idea of union was popular in fact with the Scottish nobility and parliament. They were the ones to ask for union iotl in 1606.

Chapter 3: The Unifier and the Religious King.
  • Chapter 3: The Unifier and the Religious King.

“Perhaps the greatest challenge that James would have in his reign would be the issue of religion. England was a religiously divided country. It had thankfully been able to stave off religious conflict of the scale that had happened in France and the Holy Roman Empire, however that didn’t mean that conflict was not burgeoning in the English kingdom. The discrimination against the Catholic Irish, the persecution of the Catholics, and the religious schisms between the various protestant factions of the country was threatening, quietly and subtly which made the threat even greater, of tearing the nation apart. Catholics, Puritans, Dissenters, Lutherans, Anglicans, all inhabited England and all were in competition against one another for more power and influence in the Parliament and the Royal Court.

1622373256749.png

John Knox.

James inherently distrusted the Presbyterian nature of the Scottish Reformation, which basically outlawed the bishops and had reduced them to a position that was largely extremely ceremonial and had diminished the power of the monarchy over the church, and to James, he didn’t believe there was a point in being the head of the church if he didn’t have power over it. He was enchanted by the Episcopalian traditions of the English Church and the sovereignty and power that the monarch had over the church in England, and wanted to imitate that in Scotland. However both James and his Scottish advisors knew that, creating a totally Episcopalian Church in Scotland in the Kirk was nigh impossible and would have been only possible during the early stages of the Scottish Reformation, if Knox’s views had been different, but venturing on If’s and but’s wasn’t going to be James I’s policy. He needed action. And even though he disregarded the basic functioning of the government, leaving the day to day running of the country to the parliament and the Royal Council, he dedicated his full attention to the intention of uniting the Church of England and Church of Scotland.

1622373305006.png

a painting of the most prominent signers of the Millenary Petition.

Puritans would prove to be the very first problem that James would have to tackle, and it would prove to be the entry point for James during his early attempts to unite the Church’s. Throughout 1603, Puritan priests and ministers had collected multiple signatures for a petition to James I to hear their theocratic views and to enact several reforms in the Church of England that the Puritans believed that was necessary if Catholicism was to be eradicated on the English nation. The Millenary Petition was signed by around 1,000 people before it was brought to the attention of James. James, who was learned in the arts of theology and was interested in theological debates, decided to hear the Puritans and on January 17, the Hampton Court Conference took place in Hampton Court, where many high ranking Puritans assembled before the King to plead their case for Puritanism.

There, the Puritans handed James their demands for reforms. They demanded the abolition of:-

The usage of the sign of the cross during baptism
    The rite of confirmation
    The performance of baptism by midwives
    The exchanging of rings between spouses during a marriage ceremony.
    The ceremonious bowing at the name of Jesus during worship.
    The requirement that clergy wear the surplice.
    The custom of clergymen being forced to live inside the church building.

The members of the conference argued that they were in opposition to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Archbishop John Whitgift’s policy that clergy would have to subscribe to the Book of Common Prayer and the use of vestments. Many puritans argued that the only literature that would be subscribed would be the 39 Articles and the Royal Supremacy. The Petition also argued in favor of removing episcopacy and settling down for a Presbyterian system of church governance.

1622373380195.png

John Whitgift

Thankfully for the Puritans, Moderates such as John Knewstub and Laurence Chaderton among the Puritans, knew that their new monarch distrusted the Presbyterian system of church governance, and while the petition’s writing had not been modified, during the debate and the conference, Chaderton and Knewstub instead argued that while Bishops could be kept, there needed to be checks and balances to their powers, in the same manner such as the General Assembly of the Kirk in Scotland. James had been initially angered by the idea of creating a true Presbyterian church in England, when he read through the petition and had almost exploded, Chaderton and Knewstub had managed to avail the King, and the King agreed to moderate reforms and to continue hosting theological debates between the Puritans and the Church of England officials. Of the 7 reforms demanded by the Puritans, James agreed to 2. The requirement that Clergymen had to wear surplice was abolished, and was made optional, and the custom of clergymen being forced to live in the Church building was also abolished. These demands were the least controversial of the ones asked of James, and while Whitgift had opposed the two abolitions, the other comprising factions of the Church of England were in favor, as despite the distrust between Anglicans and Puritans, there was still an atmosphere of cooperation between the two.

1622373430809.png

A 1611 version of the Lambeth Articles.

Similarly James was also involved with the Archbishop of Canterbury, John Whitgift in creating the basis for a unified Scottish and English churches. The most important of these acts was the re-introduction of the Lambeth Articles, which had been annulled by Queen Elizabeth I in a fit of anger during 1596. The Lambeth Articles were basically a series of nine doctrinal statements, which were quite similar to Calvinist doctrines, and were drafted and designed by William Whitaker, Humphrey Tundal, the Dean of Ely, and Whitgift himself. The Articles were assigned and signed by Whitgift, Richard Fletcher, the bishop of London, Richard Vaughan, Bishop Elect of Bangor and others as well. And while the articles were extremely similar to Calvinism, they were modified to make them suitable and acceptable for the anti-Calvinists as well. The Lambeth Articles, weren’t new laws, but were defined to be an explanation of already existing laws within the Realm. James who saw the similarities of English Calvinism and Scottish Calvinism through the articles, decided to bring it up once again, and the day after the Hampton Conferences, the Lambeth Articles were once again re-submitted to Cambridge University, this time under the auspices of Royal patronage, rather than the failed attempt of 1595.

The articles, basically declared the following:-

The eternal election of some to lie, and reprobation of others to death
    The moving cause of predestination to life is not the foreknowledge of faith and good works, but only the good pleasure of God.
    The number of the elect is unalterably fixed.
    Those who are not predestined to life shall necessarily be damned for their sins.
    The true faith of the elect never fails finally nor totally.
    A true believer, or one furnished with justifying faith, has a full assurance and certainty of remission and everlasting salvation in Christ.
    Saving grace is not communicated to all men.
    No man can come to the Son unless the Father shall draw him, but all men are drawn by the Father.
    It is not in every one’s will and power to be saved.

The similarities between the Scottish doctrines were striking in these articles, and James intended to use it to his full advantage. The articles would pass, however unfortunately, Whitgift would not live to see his articles passed in the Synod of Cambridge University, as he died on February 8, 1604. By Royal Grit, James I/VI appointed Richard Vaughan as the new Archbishop of Canterbury to succeed Whitgift in affairs of the Church of England.

1622373482505.png

Richard Vaughan

The appointment of Vaughan as the Archbishop of Canterbury was perhaps a coup from the Scottish King of England. Vaughan was a moderate and a candidate who was amenable to every faction. [1] As the Bishop of London, his position in the Church of England was unassailable and as a result, he was accepted as the new Archbishop of Canterbury. Politicians in the Parliament did blanch at the appointment of Vaughan however. Vaughan was one of the few people in the Kingdom of Ireland who was capable of speaking Welsh publically and not being prosecuted for it. He was from a Welsh family and spoke Welsh as fluently as he did English. This was largely in part due to his own involvement in the Welsh Bishoprics which preserved the usage of Welsh as their working language. James who came from Scotland and had scores of advisors and men from the Highlands and the Orkneys, who spoke barely any Scots at all, was more than fine with an Archbishop who spoke Welsh. The unassailable position of Vaughan, coupled with his support in the Church of England forced the politicians and Members of Parliament to withdraw their protest at his ascension to the post.

Together with Vaughan and other moderate Puritans and Calvinists, as well as moderate theologians from Scotland, James began to work on his first great theological project. The York Confession of Faith was to be first drafted in York, England on June 1604, to be a confession of the Church of England and a standard of the Church of Scotland. This was a massive undertaking, and while many in Scotland and England opposed this move, many in the Church of England, who supported more consolidation, the Puritans, who supported the supremacy of the royalty, and the Calvinists who supported the supremacy of faith, supported the move of creating a final confessional oath towards the Faith of the country and the people. By this point we can determine that James had moved past his ideas of total episcopacy and was now moving towards what many call a hybrid between episcopacy and Presbyterian systems of governance in the churches of England and Scotland. The Confession of the Faith was to be a systematic exposition of Anglican and Calvinist theology, influenced by Puritanism and Dissenters to a degree. It included common doctrines to other Christian doctrines such as the Trinity and Jesus’s sacrificial death and resurrection, and it contains many doctrines specific to Protestantism as well, such as the Sola Scriptura and the Sola Fide. While Puritanism made no major influence on the work, several hidden and subtle degrees of work in the Confession, such as the minimalistic concept of worship in the Church, had clear Puritan imprints on them.

1622373517688.png

A painting of a debate between Scottish and English theologians about the Confession of Faith of York.

While the Confession of York would not be ready until late 1605, early 1606, the work and process began in 1604 together with James and Vaaughan.

From The Anglo-Spanish Wars: A History by Roland Hill

“After months of negotiations between London and Valladolid, the English and Spaniards were starting to creep closer to a final peace settlement between the two countries. Juan de Tassis was responsible for defusing a lot of tension and was a capable diplomat and represented Spanish interests well, though remaining flexible on English demands. At the end of 1603, the Constable of Castile, arrived into Belgium in Spanish Netherlands to conclude a treaty with England if one could negotiated. With the Constable still waiting in Belgium, a Spanish Habsburg delegation arrived in London on the 19th of May, 1604, and in return an English negotiating team was appointed by Parliament and James I. Under the auspices of both, Robert Cecil, Charles Blount (the 1st Earl of Devonshire), Thomas Sackville (The 1st Earl of Dorset), Henry Howard (the 1st Earl of Northampton), and Charles Howard (the 1st Earl of Nottingham) formed the English delegation to the treaty negotiations, whilst the Spaniards had Juan Fernandez de Velasco, the 5th Duke of Frias, and the Constable of Castile, and Juan de Tassis, as the main negotiating body of the Spanish. They were joined by Charles de Ligne, Jean Richardot and Louis Verreyken as the delegations of the Spanish Netherlands.

1622373601165.png

Juan Fernandez de Velasco, the 5th Duke of Frias, and the Constable of Castile

The Treaty of London (1604) led to the Spanish renouncing their intentions of restoring the Catholic Church in England and recognized the Protestant Church of England. In return the English swore to end wartime disruption to the Spanish trans-Atlantic shipping and colonial expansion, which had been a key feature of the Anglo-Spanish War that was coming to a close. The English Channel was opened to Spanish shipping and the English withdrew from their intervention in the Dutch Revolt. Ships of both countries were allowed to use the mainland sea ports of the other country for refit, shelter or provisions, with even fleets of less than 8 ships not having to ask for permission. This was a benefit to the English economy as English maritime trade with Spain and its vast empire exploded, which enriched the country, however it was a detriment to the Dutch, as it allowed the Spanish to have a vast network of small interdicting fleets based in and around of English sea ports.

1622373637264.png

The English and Spanish delegations during the Treaty of London 1604.

The treaty essentially restored the status quo antebellum between London and Valladolid. For the Spanish public, the treaty was extremely popular. Repeated English disruption of the silver trade had nearly bankrupted Spain and the country was war wary after two decades of continuous war with the English. For the English, the reaction was mixed to the treaty. Many believed that England was giving up their natural Protestant Dutch allies to the popish Spaniards, and the popularity of James I plummeted by a good amount after the treaty as many believed that the peace was a humiliating one. The English government however, hailed the peace as a massive diplomatic feat. The English were also tethering on bankruptcy after the combined war with Spain and the Nine Years War in Ireland and the peace allowed the English to gain much needed diplomatic and economic breathing room. James I’s prestige and popularity in the government grew as result.

It was at this point that James I/VI of England and Scotland began to officially begin campaigning, for the lack of a better term, for the unification of Scotland and England into one country known as the Kingdom of Great Britain. Parliament in England, who still liked James VI/I due to his recent education in English Law and the popular treaty, had to subtly tell the monarch that he couldn’t commit himself to calling himself as the King of Great Britain, as that would flout English Law and the Magna Carter. James I accepted this in England, however in Scotland, his official dispatches became signed as King James VI of Scotland and I of Great Britain. Sir Thomas Hamilton, the 1st Earl of Haddington and the Lord Advocate of Scotland, and an extremely able administrator, who was also by and large a supporter of union between Edinburgh and London, raised a personally styled flag that would eventually become the flag of the Kingdom of Great Britain in 1613. Haddington, personally seen as the ablest administrator and diplomat that Scotland had to offer at the time, was invited by James I/VI to England so that he could argue the case in front of the English Parliament.

flag of britain.png

The flag that Haddington raised would eventually become the Flag of Great Britain.

The English Parliament was deeply worried about a political union with Scotland. The normal economic concerns were there, however there were also concerns that the entirety of the English Law and Magna Carter would be abolished due to the union of another country with England on a level term and that in such a situation, the so-called Scottish absolutism would be enforceable in England. Of course James I was far from an absolutist, however the image of the Stuarts, despite James I’s growing popularity, was not at all good in England. Haddington took up this quite uphill battle and he came to London on August 27th, 1604.

Parliament was convened a week later and the members of the parliament began hearing Haddington’s case for the union. Haddington’s argument came from a position of strength and based its argument on the fact that unity would make the security of the countries much more guaranteed and would make the economic position of the isles grow stronger. Haddington had come prepared as well. He drew historical examples, showing the result of the unification of England and the unification of England and Wales as examples of consolidation being good for the overall power of the state. He also pointed towards the recent examples, such as the union of England and Ireland, which had undoubtedly strengthened England, and the union between Castile and Aragon, which had virtually given birth to the Spanish Empire as everyone knew it. The growing free border between Scotland and England had also allowed the economies of both nations to increase at a rate never seen before, and trading macroeconomic trends started to rise favorable to both countries and Haddington brought data to back up his statements. These were all hard facts that every MP, grudgingly had to admit were true. However the issue of English Law, and Absolutism remained. It was here that James I and Haddington pulled out their ace. James I had been studying English Law for the past full year thoroughly and knew that its deposition would be impossible in English society. As a result, he settled for a simple but effective idea. Compromise. He pointed out to Parliament that even Scotland was unwilling to go into union without the preservation of the Scots Law, and yet they were very pro-union. As a result, he declared that by Royal Writ, English Law and the Magna Carter would be retained in the case of union between England and Scotland.

1622373738385.png

Sir Thomas Hamilton, the 1st Earl of Haddington and Lord Advocate of Scotland.

This was the first time that the English Parliament was swayed slightly in favour of union. Despite the fact that the 1604 Haddington Conference as it came to be known, did not lead to union, it became the very first foundation for the Acts of the Union in 1612. Debates would certainly take up the entirety of Scotland and England’s political time between the upcoming nine years.”

---

[1] – He was a moderate Anglican/Calvinist Syncretic, and was favorable to moderate Puritanism and was liked by all factions in the Church of England.

Chapter 4: The Plot
  • Chapter 4: The Plot

“Perhaps the greatest problem that arose between James I and Parliament was that of money. This is perhaps James I’s greatest controversial part of his history and the fact that he often went through questionable means of receiving funds was quite frowned down upon by the parliament, who deemed it a fundamental right of the parliament to collect funds for the country and the not the monarchy, beside their own royal holdings which generated some income. And while many dissenters against the monarchy during the time of James I liked to portray James I’s bellicose stance during 1604 as going against his own ideals of peace and pacifism, one must not forget that keeping war as a last resort, didn’t mean that James I wasn’t afraid of using the
    military potential of England and Scotland combined. James pacifism definitely had very definite limits that was forgotten by many due to his rather proud proclamations that he wanted to become a peacemaker and not a warmonger.

1622542088189.png

A coin commemorating the Treaty of London 1604

James I had signed the Treaty of London (1604) with Spain, however the hatred that Protestant England had for Catholic Spain was intense, and the multigenerational conflict had imbued deep seated hatred for anything Spanish. Strategically too, the prime purpose of war between Spain and England, the defense of the Dutch against Spanish invasion, was not abandoned despite the popular image that it was. English supplies still made their way into Dutch hands and the rather big loophole that the Treaty of London left unexplained was exploited, as English commercial relations with the Dutch expanded after the treaty was written down and signed on the initiative of James I. James I knew very well that Spain had only signed the treaty because of the fact that the 9 Years War in Ireland was over, and with no proxies to aid them fight England directly, there was no point in further fighting. The Treaty of London had therefore extricated England from a very costly war that was nearly ruinous to the English economy without harming the interests of her Dutch allies. Even the contemporary critic of James I had to admit that the Scottish King of England had committed himself to a masterful diplomatic stroke.

James’s reputation as the peacemaker was also enhanced by the fact that he had not only led to greater accord between England and Scotland, but he had also brought peace into Ireland, a place which for the past nine years had been a virtual death sentence to any poor English lad who had to be pressed into the armies of England. By surrendering in the last months of Elizabeth I’s reign, the principal leader of the Irish rebels in Ulster, the Earl of Tyrone, had not totally destroyed his power. In fact James I rehabilitated the old rebellious Gaelic lords of Ireland, keeping in favor of the crown in case the other Anglo-Norman lords of Ireland got too rebellious against the English crown. Ironically Lord Tyrone and the Earl of Tyrconnel, both of whom had been hardline English opponents, soon became the court favorites of James I from Ireland and both of them became staunch allies of the English crown.

1622542134982.png

Hugh O'Neil, the Earl of Tyrone

Both Tyrone and Tyrconnel became allies of James I to such an extent, that they became the principal advocates of a full union between England and Ireland, in the same manner as the movement of unifying England and Scotland was starting to form. Both Tyrconnel and Tyrone understood that as things stood, some sort of Catholic relief for the Catholics of Ireland was by and large impossible. Despite James I’s rather tolerant views towards Irish Catholicism, the English Parliament would only entertain views of some kind of Irish Catholic Emancipation if the Irish finally subjected themselves to full English rule. Tyrone and Tyrconnel decided to exploit that. They wanted Irish Catholics to be able to inherit land, own property, allow the continuation of their schools in Ireland and allow the Roman Catholics, based on property and income, be allowed to vote for the Irish House of Commons, and retain their access to middle class professions such as legal society and grand jurors. Throughout 1604 and 1605, the idea that union with England would save the Irish Catholic Code swept throughout Ireland, and the English government was slightly caught up in the mess, as James I encouraged the feeling.

Among the English, the idea that the Irish were also pushing for union came as a surprise and astounded the English government on how to act. They liked the fact that they would be able to consolidate their hold on the Irish, and subject them to English Law, however of course the issue of retaining the old Irish rights remained a particular issue in the Parliament, and while many were willing to accept union with Scotland, even advocates of Union with Scotland were reluctant to endorse any idea of union with Ireland. Nonetheless, the Irish began to stage campaigns, associations and meetings with Lord Tyrone at its head for what Lord Tyrone called ‘An Equal…..and Tolerant Union’. During a meeting of the Irish Association for Union and Crown, or in Irish as it was called back then, Cumann Aontas Agus Coronach na hEirann, Lord Tyrone would state a catchy phrase which would eventually become the Motto of the Kingdom of Great Britain. ‘Unum in Pace, Secundas res Uel Aduersas’ which roughly translates as ‘Unified in Peace, Prosperity and Adversity’.

And like stated above, there were many fears that James I’s pacifism would endanger English commercial, diplomatic and geopolitical interests in the long run. James I proved to be more than willing to keep limits on the pacific rhetoric that he had adopted. During the Ottoman-Safavid War of 1603-1618, the English East India Company meddled in the war in the Persian Gulf to secure trading rights in the Pirate Coast of Bahrayn and Safavid pirates were extinguished from the Indian Ocean. English privateers were dispatched in secret to deal with the Portuguese who were acting Spanish proxies in the Portuguese-Dutch War, and English ships routinely flew Dutch flags to aid the Dutch in several naval battles against the Spaniards and Portuguese. This unhidden war that was developing between England and Spain inflamed tensions, but made sure to steer clear of expensive open conflict and made sure that James was seen adhering to English interests in parliament and for the country, and the hit that his popularity took in the public due to his endorsement of the Treaty of London 1604 took started to recover.

1622542245229.png

An English Ship in the Persian Gulf in the service of the East India Company during the Ottoman-Safavid War of 1603-18

James also finally got what he wanted from parliament in late 1604 and early 1605, when the English Parliament, finally agreed to allow the Commission of English and Scottish Delegates For Union, under the leadership of the 1st Earl of Haddington and Sir Francis Bacon to be established to find a proper compromise to seek Union between the Kingdom of Scotland and Kingdom of England. Haddington represented the Scottish delegation and Sir Francis Bacon represented the English delegation. The very essence of the commission was to ‘perform and accomplish the real and effectual union already inherent in His Majesty’s Royal Blood and Person.’ After the acceptance of Parliament to at least create a commission for seeking union, James took every step that he could to further the union. By a proclamation on the 20th of November, 1604, he declared himself the ‘King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, etc’ and on the 28th of December, 1604 he began discussion in parliament to unite the English Pound and the Scottish Pound Scots to make sure the monetary transition of union would be able to be more smooth. On the 12th of January, 1605, all British ships were ordered to carry a new union flag devised by the College of Arms.

1622542297864.png

Sir Francis Bacon.

James I was also not above less than favorable methods of currying favor in Parliament to make sure that many MPs voted in favor of the union. Edwin Sandys, the MP for Kent, was the most fiercest critic of union between England and Scotland during the issuance of the commission, however the relief of the debts that he owed to the Royal Crownlands, and the quiet promise that the Sandys family estate would be expanded, suddenly made Sandys one of the most fiercest proponents of the union by the time the issuance of uniting the English Pound and Scots Pound came forward. William Maurice, the most prominent Welsh politician at the time remarked ‘The King is getting us into union……through money.’

1622542327916.png

Edwin Sandys, the bribed unionist.

From A History of Catholics in Great Britain by Sean O’Connell.

“Most English Catholics had since the Reformation, been loyal subjects of the crown. Especially in the 1570s and 1580s however, a minority led by more militant Catholic exiles such as William Allen and Robert Parsons had been active in organizing propaganda occasionally aimed at the English crown. Allen for example, spent most of his adult life in the Continent as an exile, especially in France and Spain, who were England’s most steadfast enemies, while Parsons, a Catholic sympathizer whose views were cemented when he went abroad and became a Catholic priest and a Jesuit, led a brief mission to England in the early 1580s and then spent the rest of his life in exile, plotting against Elizabeth I and trying to woo James VI and I into granting toleration for Catholics. But the decade of the 1590s, with its feuding among English Catholics and the death of Allen, by then a cardinal, marks the end of ‘the heroic age’ of English Catholicism. ‘What was most obviously new about the English Catholic body after 1603’, writes John Bossy, ‘was its retreat from the political engagement which had marked the Elizabethan period.’ In 1603 there were even high hopes among Catholics, fostered by James before his accession, that they would be allowed some relief from the penal laws. Not all were as misguided as one Oxfordshire Catholic lady who rejoiced on Elizabeth’s death, ‘now we have a Kinge who ys of our religion and will restore us to our rightes’. But James was prepared to make a distinction between Catholics who were ‘quiet and well-minded men, peaceable subjects’ and those who were ‘factious stirrers of sedition and perturbers of the commonwealth’; as to the former, he ‘would be sorry to punish their bodies for the error of their minds’. Not all Protestant Englishmen, however, would go this far in extending toleration to Catholics; anti-Catholicism was as deep-rooted and widespread in seventeenth-century England.

And while many have derided James I that he was soft on Catholics during the early part of his reign, there is ample evidence that James saw the political dangers of a ‘soft’ policy towards Catholics. One of his earliest proclamations, in May 1603, ordered the collection of recusancy fines. In the 1604 session of parliament he encouraged the progress of legislation against Jesuit priests. Probably to counter suspicions raised by an unofficial embassy to the pope led by Sir James Lindsay, and by Catholic involvement in the Main and Bye Plots – two minor and abortive predominately Catholic plots hatched in England in summer 1603 aimed at abducting or assassinating James, which led to a small number of executions, though most of the leading figures were either pardoned or had their death sentences commuted to imprisonment – in February 1605 James inaugurated a purge against recusants. Gardiner estimated that 5,560 in all were convicted of recusancy as a result. And in November 1605 came the infamous Plot Against James.

1622542394290.png

The plotters.

On 5 November, a group of thirteen conspirators, led by Sir Robert Catesby and including Guy Fawkes, plotted to blow up the Houses of Parliament when it was in session. However a defector from the conspirators told Cecil of the impending plot, which if successful would destroy the entire legislative council of the country and would kill the king, leaving the country in absolute administrative chaos. Usually when the King wasn’t there, the Parliament administered the country and when the Parliament wasn’t available, the King administered the country. It was a good failsafe and if both were destroyed, then the country was likely to fall into anarchy as partisanship destroyed the country. The rest of the conspirators were executed and imprisoned by the government, with the defector, Thomas Wintour had his sentence commuted to house arrest for a year.

1622542421900.png

Thomas Wintour, the defector.

When Parliament convened during the ending months of 1605, on December 21, 1605, two severe penal laws against Catholics were passed as a result of the plot going public. By the terms of one of them, all recusants were required to take an oath of allegiance that asserted that the papal claim to depose monarchs was impious and immoral as well as heretical. Somewhat smartly, both James I and Parliament refused from applying these penal laws with Ireland, where talks regarding union were still ongoing.”

From The Confession of Faith of York by Robert Jenkins

“While Catholic plots and political intrigues continued to ravage the English political arena with James I, the man hadn’t forgotten about the still drafted York Confession of Faith, being written down in York, Northern England.

On December 29, 1605, the writers of the draft of the confession of faith declared that after a year of writing and editing, the confession of faith was finished, and prepared for publication. The confession is a systematic exposition of Calvinist theology, influenced by Puritan, Convenant, and Congregationalist theologies. Puritan doctrines such as minimalism and a neo-sabbatarianism was present in the confession of the faith to get the Puritans to support the confession. It openly states that the Pope is the Anti-Christ, and stated that a Roman Catholic Mass was a form of idolatry that the magistrates and legal authorities of the state have the divine authority to punish and it also rules out marriage with non-christians.

1622542454108.png

The declaration of the York Confession of Faith.

The confession begins with its own interpretation and definition of the Bible’s contents and it also defines the role of the Church of national states with the Roman Catholic Church. It states that all of the old theological books, mainly the Bible, Old and New Testaments were the words of God, and the Bible was to considered to be the ultimate rule of faith and life, and that the scriptures were said to have possessed infallible truth and divine authority. Because of this declaration, it also stated that the holy scriptures were to be the Church’s final authority in all Religious disputes that may erupt in the country. It openly stated that the Holy scriptures were the ‘Supreme Judge of all Disputes’.

The reformist doctrine of pre-destination was affirmed by the confession, and it also recounted the Genesis Creation Narrative and the Fall of Man. According to the confession, all other sins are foreordained by the divine providence, and that all sinners were guilty before God under the divine wrath and the curse of law. It also dealt with the Convenant Theology, Salvation, Christian Liberty and Worship and Civil government and marriage. Church Government and Discipline is however the most interesting of the confession of the faith. Appeasing people who wanted to keep bishops, bishops were retained as the Holy Ministers of God, however their powers were to be kept in check and balanced out by a General Assembly and Synod, which were to be extremely decentralized though under a proper order of governance from top to bottom. It essentially combined the Presbyterian polity and Episcopal Polity of England and Scotland under the ruminations of compromise between the two. This was perhaps the greatest feat of the Confession of Faith of York, as it allowed the framework for the unification of the Church of Scotland and Church of England to take place.

By doing so, James I had laid the foundations for the 1608 Union of Churches after five years of hard negotiations and tensions. As the Scottish had been one half of the delegation who wrote down the York Confession of Faith, the Scots passed it into law into the Kirk as well, and soon after so did the English within the Church of England. With both of them serving under the new hybrid doctrine of the two countries, it provided for a slightly weird situation, and one full of uneasiness as people were now confused on future course of actions.

Nonetheless, in early 1606, the King, and led by Richard Vaughan, the Archbishop of Canterbury and Bishop James Nicholson, the Moderator of the Kirk, began working towards a final resolution that would now unify the Church of England and Scotland into the Church of Britain.”

From The Great Matches of Europe by Philip de Klerk

“Henry Frederick, the Duke of Cornwall, and future Prince of Wales of England and Scotland, by 1605 was now at the age of 11, and by the next few years it was deemed necessary to find the young heir to the British throne a suitable spouse. James I, in accordance with his ideals of peace and becoming a peacemaker wanted to tie his family to another family which would be able to make sure that England’s security on the continent would be secured and looked after.

1622542502981.png
    1622542522858.png

The two most likely candidates - Maria Elizabeth of Sweden and Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg.

Henry Frederick was to become the King of England, Scotland and Ireland, ruled and governed by protestants, and as a result, a protestant match was required as stated by Parliament and by the will of James I. The three most looked after candidates for the marriage would be Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg, Charlotte Louise of Hanau-Muzenberg, or her sister, Amalie Elizabeth of Hanau Munzenberg. They were all younger than Henry Frederick, but not by much. Another prime candidate was Princess Maria Elizabeth of Sweden, the daughter of King Charles IX of Sweden and Christina of Holstein-Gottorp. Though Anne of Denmark, who was Henry Frederick’s mother, was loathe to marry her son to a Swede, the political advantages of marrying into Sweden was there for all to see, as it would allow the English to increase their trading presence in the Baltic, which was by all rights a Dano-Swedish lake by the early 17th century.

In the end negotiations with both Brandenburg and Sweden were opened by Anne of Denmark, who was to take a lead role in finding Henry Frederick a suitable bride. Meanwhile as a failsafe, negotiations through Anne of Denmark also opened roads of avenues for negotiations with Holstein-Gottorp regarding Dorothea Augusta of Schleswig Holstein Gottorp who was also regarded as a potential spouse for the Prince of Wales.”

Chapter 5: The Inevitable Backlash
  • The Union of Crowns

Chapter 5: The Inevitable Backlash

From The Great Matches of Europe by Philip de Klerk

“The negotiations between England and Brandenburg for a marriage alliance continued, and after some time, negotiations began to break through. English diplomats led by Sir James Walter in Brandenburg began to plan for a proper betrothal proposal to the Brandenburg Nobility and Royal Family, as well the heir to the electorate, John Sigismund, who was also the father of Maria Eleonora, the intended and sought after.

The English King, James I/VI wanted to make sure that he had a Protestant match for his eldest two, Henry and Elizabeth, whilst he searched for a domestic and or catholic match for his younger children, Charles, the Duke of York and the newly born Mary Stuart, who was only 1 by the time the English diplomats had managed to break through with the Brandenburgers in Berlin.

1622800392589.png

Joachim Frederick, the Elector of Brandenburg

Joachim Frederick, the Elector of Brandenburg was also keen for an alliance with England, one of the chief leading Protestant monarchies in Europe, and as the relations between the Catholic South in the Holy Roman Empire and the Protestant north in the Holy Roman Empire continued to deteriorate with every new event in the empire, Joachim Frederick knew that he needed to have diplomatic failsaves in and outside of the Germanies as well. And England provided this opportunity to the man.

On April 8, 1606, Joachim Frederick, after months of negotiations and bargaining finally agreed to betrothe Maria Eleonora, his granddaughter to Prince Henry Frederick of England. The two were soon betrothed in absentia during the month of April, 1606, and it was negotiated that Maria Eleonora would be transferred to the English court in the year of 1612, and then marry Prince Henry Frederick in 1615. The marriage would be a mixed marriage. Prince Henry, who would later become Henry I of Great Britain, and Maria Eleonora were in love with one another, and two deeply pined for each other and loved each other dearly, however politicking took up much of Henry’s time, and Maria’s mental illness, which had never been stable to say the least, interfered with the couple’s life in the future. Nonetheless, the two had a fruitful life with one another, and the two would go on to have five children, of whom three would survive into adulthood and continue the line of the family.”

“On May 18, 1606, after much haggling and much negotiating, the English Parliament finally agreed to open negotiations with the Scottish Parliament regarding the unification of the currencies of England and Scotland, abolishing the Scots Pound and the English Pound to form the British Pound.

Many economic factors came into play as the Scottish and English Lords and Parliamentarians, as well as the respective treasuries began to look into matters of rate and exchange. This time in Scottish Economic History was significant, not only the quantitative expansion of traditional textiles of the country, but also due to the rise of extractive industries, which made the issue of currency swapping all the more harder in Scotland. Under the goodwill of the crown and the English, several significant steps had been made to force the pace of technical change and diversify the range of products being produced in the Scottish Kingdom. The communication of technical knowledge and immigration of skilled craftsmen from Ireland and England allowed the country to have an innovationist class, and several mines in the country started to employ more and more English merchants to become their agents across the markets of England and the continent.

1622800468029.png

a scottish farm in the 1600s

The English economy was too growing at an astonishing rate, despite some of its revenue problems. Historians have found enterprising farmers such as Robert Loder of Harwell in Berkshire, and Henry Best of Elmswell in Yorkshire who had entrepreneurial skills necessary to bring about changes in farming techniques to increase both food production and farm and agricultural profits as well. There is little doubt that under the combined pressure of a rapidly growing population and the development of food markets across the channel in the Low Countries, English farming had made astonishing strides under the early rule of the Stuarts adopting new crops and techniques, most notably new fodder crops that enabled more animals to be kept alive during winter and so ensuring a stable supply of fertilizers and by extending the area under cultivation, most notably by the reclamation of several expanses of marshlands in Eastern England under the vast engineering skills of talented engineers like Giles Vermuyden (Vermuyden was a Dutch engineer involved in land reclamation against the sea and his guild was appointed by the treasury for reclamation in East Anglia).

With the opening of Scottish markets without the barrier of a hard border, the English wool industry boomed as well, and English wool became one of Scotland’s most valued commodities. All of these economic advancements, partially of which was due to the personal union between London and Edinburgh, the issue of uniting the English and Scottish currencies became all the more complex and harder. However, led by able economists such as Tobias Gentleman and Thomas Mun, the English and Scottish Parliaments formed the ‘Anglo-Scottish Economic Committee’ which was dedicated to uniting the currencies and fixing the economies of the two countries together.

1622800515419.png

Ludovic Stewart, the 2nd Duke of Lennox

Ludovic Stewart, the 2nd Duke of Lennox, the Lord High Commissioner of the Scottish Parliament, who was a trusted manager and administrator to James I/VI, became involved from the Scottish side, and Sir Francis Bacon led the charge of actually getting the currency changed.

On October 29, 1606, the Great British Pound was established in Scotland and England, and replaced the English Pound and Scots Pound. It was deemed that 2 English Pounds would be equal to 1 Great British Pound whereas 10 Scots Pound would be equal to 1 Great British Pound. Using this, new coins and banknotes were issued from both Scotland and England regarding the new currency. The government of both Scotland and England designated the year 1620 as the last year until which the Scots Pound and English Pound would be valid, and have a time period of nearly one and a half decade for the peoples of their respective countries to exchange their savings for the new currency.

Economic reforms were made both in England and Scotland as well. Both the Royal Navy of England and the Scottish Royal Navy began to coordinate the amount of merchant shipping that the two built to increase the efficiency of British trade with another in the isles, and both the Scottish and English antiquated revenue systems were updated and reformed, along Habsburg and French lines, both of whom had better and more efficient economic systems during the time. The Antiquated Scottish and English Book of Rates, which used 1567 and 1560 rates respectively, were old and backwards and not up to date with early modern inflationary rates. As a result, they were updated, and the new rates allowed both Edinburgh and London to levy moderately higher custom dues on rates that allowed them to levy higher revenues from their respective nations.

The monetary union between England and Scotland, also increased the project of uniting the English and Scottish Kingdoms. All that was really left was the project of uniting the English and Scottish Churches as the next step forward for uniting the two countries once and for all.

There was only one problem. The name of the united church of Britain, and who would be the head of the church (other than the monarch of course). The name issue was solved quickly when James VI/I by Royal Writ named the Church as the Church of Britain and the Britannic Communion. However the issue of which Church official, the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Moderate of the Kirk, becoming the Monarch’s appointed representative in the newly forming Church remained an issue. Obviously, the Scots wanted the Moderator of the Kirk to become the Leader of the new Church and the English wanted the Archbishop of Canterbury to fulfil that role. Puritans and Protestants in Ireland also wanted the Archbishop of Armagh, their Primate, to be involved and made important during the religious confirmation.

1622800858430.png

Richard Vaughan

As such there was an issue. Where would the primate of the Church of Britain be? In Scotland? In England? In Ireland? The answer was not a single of those aforementioned countries. Richard Vaughan, the Archbishop of Canterbury, ever the wily and cunning compromiser, decided that neither of the constituent countries under the personal union were suited to hold the primate, as choosing one would simply alienate the other. Vaughan thus chose a peculiar area for the Primate of the Church of Britain. The Lordship of Mann was chosen by Vaughan to be the seat of the Primate. He argued that it was in the center of all three nations looking for union and as such represented an equidistant from all, which would treat all three equally. The new Moderator of the Kirk, James Law also settled the issue about the Kirk vs Canterbury issue. Since the Presbyterian and Episcopal systems of England and Scotland had been virtually mixed together in the York Confession of the Faith, he deemed that for the system to be truly decentralized, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Archbishop of Armagh and the Moderator of the Kirk would all be subservient to the Archbishop of Mann who would be the overall head of the Primate of the Church of Britain. Since the decentralized system of the Britannic Communion meant that a general assembly of bishops were required, the Primates of Scotland, England and Ireland would also remained autonomous within their own constituent kingdoms.

However of course, this settlement did disgruntle several people in the three kingdoms. Already discontent at the notion of union with their age old enemy, three ambitious lords of Scotland, who had already been scheming since 1604 to rebel, used the pretext of the Britannic Communion to rebel in June 9, 1606. George Gordon, the 1st Marquess of Huntly, John Gordon, the 13th Earl of Sutherland and Patrick Stewart, the 2nd Earl of Orkney all rebelled against James VI/I imploring him to stop his unification methods and to restore the status quo. Thus began the Highlander War.”

From Anglo-British Colonialism in the Early Modern Era by Robert MacMillan

“On December 28, 1605, the North American Company was founded as an English Joint-Stock Company by James I of England. It was to be a company of Knights, Merchants and Adventurers, and planters from the cities of Bristol, Exeter and Plymouth. It’s basic and inherent purpose was to establish settlements on the coast of North America, between 35 to 45 Degrees of northern latitude within 100 miles of the Seaboard. The merchants who were involved in the establishment of the company also agreed to finance the settler’s trips in return for repayment of their expenses plus interest out of profits made.

1622800899623.png

George Calvert

The main power behind the project was George Calvert who was made 1st Baron Baltimore in 1605. Calvert came from a long line of Anglo-Flemish nobility in England that had settled down there after the 100 Years War and though the Yorkshire Branch of the Calverts, from which Baltimore hailed, was a very minor noble family, they still had the basic perks that came from being a part of the nobility during this time. He was extremely linked with Robert Cecil, the Secretary of the State under Elizabeth I and James I of England. In 1604, Cecil was rewarded the title of Earl of Salibsury and Lord High Treasurer and became a member of the English Privy Council as well. As Cecil rose, so did Calvert and by late 1604 he had garnered the attention of the new Scottish King of England. Calvert’s Foreign Languages, legal training and discretion made him an invaluable ally for Robert Cecil as well as the King as well.

Working in the court to improve his standing, Calvert exploited his influence by bribing nobles, extending favors, and accumulating a small amount of influential offices, honors and sinecures. Finally as the question of colonialism raged on in the English court, after a meeting with the King in Oxford in June 1605, he convinced the King that a proper colonial project was required if England was to compete with the domains of Philip III which stretched all across the Americas in the Western Hemisphere.

The question of settlement was disputed as many did not know where a proper settlement could be made. Too far south and the English would be straying into Spanish territory and going far too north and the English would be entering French colonial lands, both of which could spark a colonial war for which England had neither time nor the money nor the resources. As a result, a middle ground was chosen and the Chesepian Bay [1] area was chosen as the perfect landing spot for an English colonial expedition.

On January 17, the first group of explorers under the command of Calvert and Captain Christopher Newport left Dover with around 140 people aboard the HMS Discovery, HMS Godspeed, HMS Susan Constant to the eastern coast of the Americas. After 122 days of sailing across the seas, the three ships finally reached the eastern seaboard of the Americas and began moving up north into the Chesepian Bay before they landed. Calvert named the area that they had landed upon and the subsequent settlement that formed as Anneville [2] after the current queen of England on May 27, 1606.

ittl maryland flag.png

Flag of the Colony of Virginia, where Anneville was first found.

Soon enough the small ~150 settlers and sailors of the small region that they had settled down in came into contact with the Susquehannock Tribe and the Lenape Tribe. Both of the two native American tribes had been in contact with Europeans, mainly some Dutch traders in the north and French settlers in Acadian regions to the north, where they were in contact with French traders. Whilst many of this Native American groups would both be friend and enemies in the future, for the time being, the two sides met with one another, and using rudimentary signs with one another, they traded with one another, with the English trading wine and tobacco for pelts and other foodstuff that were desperately needed. Thus began the story of the first permanent settlement of the English and British colonizers in the New World.”

From The Gaelic Highlands: The War Against Union by Robert MacLeod

“The idea of union with England, whilst widely popular in most parts of the Scottish and Irish community during the early 1600s under the reign of James I of England, it wasn’t universally well received and the attempts to unite the Church of Scotland and the Church of England were all rather fractious for the dissenting nobles. Ever since early 1604, Patrick Stewart, the 2nd Earl of Orkney, a vicious and ruthless man had intrigued with the Scottish nobles hoping to make sure that the Scottish nobles of the Highlands revolted against the union. He also made gains in Ireland, where former Crown allies such as Cahir O’Doherty and Richard Burke, the 4th Earl of Clanricarde, were angered by the survival of the rebel Gaelic Lords after the 9 Years War, since they were promised their lands that they now could not receive under the auspices of the Royal Government.

1622801103382.png

Patrick Stewart, the 2nd Earl of Orkney

By late 1604, he had gathered his core group of hardline and radical anti-unionists, made up of himself, George Gordon and John Gordon, the 1st Marquess of Huntly and 13th Earl of Sutherland respectively, Cahir O’Doherty and Richard Burke and all planned to rebel against the government of James VI/I when the time was right. Secretly building up their feudal levies, and preparing themselves for an inevitable show of force against the English and Scottish governments, the rebels had a definite goal in mind. Their goal was to attrition the forces sent against them as much as possible to force the King to come to terms with them after the treasury started to run dry. In this they hoped they would be successful. In this manner, they began to prepare themselves.

However in mid-1606 news arrived about the Britannic Communion being passed in the Kirk and the Church of England, and as a result, this was the perfect casus belli for the rebels to use against the central government. On June 9, 1606, they rebelled against the Crown declaring their intention to stop the incoming union, with the use of force if necessary.

The levies were collected by the rebels and then gathered up by the lords, and they began to take up arms against the government. The first to attack was Cahir O’Doherty in Tyrconnell against the English government. Lord Tyrone, once rebel turned loyalist raised his own local army with the support of Lord Mountjoy and marched against O’Doherty. Tyrone had raised around 7,000 men at arms against the 5,000 men that O’Doherty had managed to raise and Tyrone entered hostile territory on June 31, 1606 intent on proving his loyalty to the throne and crown and proving his commitment to the unionist cause. Once O’Doherty found out that Tyrone was coming with a larger army, he began to retreat deeper into his own territory and began to conduct a scorched earth policy as he retreated. However this backfired on O’Doherty as the public opinion in the region quickly turned against him due to this policy. Haggled by starving peasants not wanting to be subject to the scorched earth policy, Tyrone caught up against the rebel troops at Pettigo Plateau.

12345.png

The red lands are held by Highlander rebels and Green lands are held by Irish rebels during the Highlander War.

Fighting through the marshlands, Lord Tyrone and his experience in unsymmetrical and symmetrical warfare won out and at the Battle of Pettigo Plateau, Lord Tyrone defeated O’Doherty and forced the man to flee further into his territory. After resting his troops and re-gathering his forces, Lord Tyrone went on the march again, this time intent on forcing O’Doherty into a decisive battle and catching him.

Near Lough Akkibon, Lord Tyrone caught up with O’Doherty and forced O’Doherty into open battle against the army led by Tyrone. At first O’Doherty and his men managed to defeat the forces of tyrone and pushed them back against the lake, however after regrouping his forces, Tyrone led a cavalry charge against the flanks of O’Doherty’s men and the rebels began to break rank, and general chaos ensued in which O’Doherty was caught by an unsuspecting cavalry trooper, who didn’t recognize the rebel and pushed a sword through his abdomen, killing the rebel leader. During the ending hours of the battle, his body was found, and their spirit broken, the rebels broke rank and fled the battle. The Battle of Losett on the 16th of August, 1606 defeated a part of the rebellion that had been ongoing since two to three months prior in the Tyrconnell region.

Meanwhile in Dublin, Lord Mountjoy had gathered Irish men at arms and the Royal Garrisons in the Pale and had begun to march against Burke. After force marching his troops for two and a half months straight, Lord Mountjoy and his 10,000 men entered hostile territory on Burke’s land. Burke’s policy was to conduct hit and run raids on the enemy, before leaving, to take advantage of his home terrain, however Mountjoy, who was rather accustomed to this kind of strategy from the 9 Years War began to conduct a wide pincer movement throughout Clanricarde region, forcing Burke to seek battle against his choice.

On August 29, 1606, he chose to field an army of around 9,000 rebels against Mountjoy's 8,000 men at the fields of Bothar Nua. Burke however committed a fatal mistake. His men had the River Corrib to their backs, and when the Crown forces began to push against his forces, his men began to drown in the river, as they tried to retreat. The loyalist garrison from Galway also sallied out from the city ad conducted hit and run raids on their flanks, and the rebels began to buckle under the pressure of a two-pronged assault. The next day, having suffered heavy casualties, Burke surrendered his remaining 8,000 men to Mountjoy ending the Battle of Bothar Nua.

The rebellion in Ireland was for all intents and purposes over, and the Crown turned its attention to the Scottish Highlands, where the main show was going on.

By August, both sides in the British mainland had gathered up their forces up to sufficient levels and the Anglo-Scots had placed an army of around 14,000 men under the command of Archibald Campbell, the 7th Earl of Argyll. Meanwhile John Gordon, the 13th Earl of Sutherland commanded the majority of the Highlander forces. On August 8th, 1606, Argyll entered rebel controlled territory and engaged the enemy at the Battle of Fearnan.

Unfortunately for Argyll, his campaign did not begin with a good sign, and Sutherland had hid the majority of his forces in the nearby Tay Forest Park, and this allowed him to conduct a massive flanking maneuver on the Anglo-Scottish force, and routed them. The Battle of Fearnan thus ended in an Anglo-Scottish defeat and the rebels tried to push their advantage. However on August 27, 1606, Argyll had managed to stabilize his army and after receiving some reinforcements from Edinburgh, he decided to conduct a wide attack on Cairngorms area. He marched his army to the northeast, feeding off the sparsely populating, but naturally rich areas of this area, and marched through the thick mountains and lands to reach the lowland areas near Aberdeen. There, on November 18, he caught the rebels who had followed them at the Battle of Inverurie.

The march across Cairngorms had exhausted the Anglo-Scottish Army and they were initially beaten back by the rebels, fighting on their home territory, however after the loyalist Aberdeen garrison broke out of the city and reinforced the Anglo-Scots, Argyll came back out again to offer battle and using a pincer movement through the gaps in the rebel lines, he managed to push the rebels out, inflicting heavy casualties against Sutherland’s forces.

Being pushed back, the rebels had no real choice but to abandon Huntly, and the Anglo-Scottish forces took the town on the 29th of November, 1606. After this both the rebels and the Crown rested up and wintered for the winter of 1606 and 1607. Several skirmishers and sallying attacks did happen and were conducted against the other, but by and large, a major confrontation did not happen and the frontlines generally remained the same.

On January 31, 1607, Argyll decided to move again, and he began marching the 11,000 men he had left with him against the Gordons who had made camp at Tomatin. In what became the biggest battle of the Highlander War, Argyll crept up his 11,000 men against the 10,000 rebels the Gordons had gathered. Argyll did not seek open battle however, and he knew he had to break the rebels thoroughly, and that could not be achieved through battle.

1622801239928.png

The Battle of Tomatin

When the enemy camp was sleeping, having been lulled into a false sense of security after Argyll retreated in a diversion, on the night of February 28, 1607, the Anglo-Scottish army fell upon the surprised and half asleep rebel camp, slaughtering as they went, basically destroying any fighting power the rebels had left. The 13th Earl of Sutherland and the Marquess of Huntly were both killed in the attack and were slain by the common soldiers under the command of Argyll.

Two more small battles took place at Gorstan and Archfary, however these were small clashes and in both occasions, the Lowland Scottish troops dealt with the Highlanders with brutal efficiency. The only remaining problem that was left was that of Orkney, with his sizeable fleet, he was still a problem and a thorn on the Anglo-Scots in his base in the islands.

English Admiral Sir Thomas Best was given 2 Galleons and 10 Galleys from the Royal Navy and Scottish Navy and asked to defeat the 12 Galley strong fleet that Orkney had gathered up in the past two and a half years. Best sailed to the north and passing the Irish Channel, he made his way into the Northern Atlantic, where he intended to fight. Off the Sound of Barra he caught the fleet commanded personally by the 2nd Earl of Orkney.

In the ensuing naval battle, Best beat the Orkney fleet, using a mass ramming attack the moment he saw the enemy fleet and the English galleys tore through the enemy galleys using the sheer weight of momentum to push the enemy fleet back. The Galleons and their powerful firepower also forced the Orkney fleet to turn back, and return back. It was a small naval battle compared to what was going on between the Spaniards and Dutch, however it was the first English naval battle in quite some time, and as such was celebrated throughout England. With the Orkney fleet obsolete, the Gaelic Clan Lords of Orkney conducted a coup against the 2nd Earl of Orkney on April 27, 1607, and sued for peace, handing the Earl to the Crown. On July 4, 1607, the Peace of Dundee was signed ending the Highlander War. The remaining alive rebels, like Orkney and Burke were not afforded the same leniency as the Gaelic Lords of Ireland had in 1603. They were tried and summarily executed, their titles reverting back to the crown.

Highlander War Infobox.png

The Highlander War also had an interesting effect on the ongoing scheme of uniting the nations. In Scotland, the Lowlander opinion turned decisively in favor of unification as the hated catholic Highlanders had rebelled against the idea, and in Ireland, the Catholics such as Lord Tyrone and Lord Tyrconnell had reaffirmed their loyalty through trial of combat. Their proposals of a proper union were finally being properly discussed after that. In England, the benefit of Irish and Scottish manpower, as seen in the war was shown for its full effectiveness, and local Scottish and Irish commanders and Lord Tyrone and Lord Argyll showed that their talent would be off massive use as well. Ironically the Highlander War which started to stop union, only succeeded in accelerating it.”

[1] – Chesapeake Bay ittl. Using one of the earlier names.

[2] – Otl Baltimore

Chapter 6: The Union of Churches
  • The Union of Crowns

Chapter 6: The Union of Churches

“As Scotland and England veered ever closer to an actual union between their two states, the two countries had agreed to make sure that their currencies would be united, as exchange rates for the Great British Pound for both the English Pound and Scots Pound were created. However without proper central authority to make sure that the exchange of currencies could go on smoothly, the rate of exchange between the two countries continued to fluctuate without proper oversee, which led to severe inflation in some parts of the early modern service economy. As a result, Scottish Banker, and economist, John Byers of Coates, implored the Scottish and English Parliaments to create a central bank, as that was going on in the Dutch Republic and the Italian states. It was a hard ask from both parliaments, however even the parliaments had felt the sting of inflation as both economies felt a downturn after uncontrolled exchanging of currencies, which deflated their overall value economically, and market prices as a result had gone up, leading to some shortages, and protests.

1623239781297.png

A street in Edinburgh, circa 1605

A commission consisting of 2 Scottish Economists and 2 English Economists – John Byres and Sir William Dick representing the Scots and Barnaby Blackwell and Henry Montagu, the 1st Earl of Manchester representing the English – a commission for creating a central bank representing both Scottish and English economic interests, and to a lower extent, Irish economic interests, was established during the Highlander Wars. On November 27, 1607, the Bank of Oxford was established by the commission to act as the central bank of both Scotland and England, and the newly established bank was given a fourfold task:-

• To ensure that the money entrusted by the citizens to the bank remained stable in value.
    • To solve the domestic revenue problem
    • To facilitate international payments and trade through an adequate supply of monetary resources such as coins and a book entry transfer system
    • To ensure that the bank’s foreign exchange reserves were to be protected from the influx to lighter currencies to make the new Great British Pound stronger in value.
    1623239839224.png

Henry Montagu, the 1st Earl of Manchester

It was essentially the first economic institution that would permanently tie Scotland and England together with one another. The Bank of Oxford was also entrusted with the ability of the country to raise extra-credit monetary resources, which would prove to be extremely useful in times of war, and conflict for many years to come. Ireland was tied to this bank as well, and a branch of the Bank of Oxford was established in Dublin and Cork as well intent on consolidating the economies of all countries involved.

Henry Montagu, the 1st Earl of Manchester was invaluable for cementing the future of the economies of Great Britain. England did have a manufacturing industry, with wool and clothes exported all throughout Europe, however they paled in comparison to the smooth Chinese silk that made its way into Europe, and the Turkish tailors could outbid any and all attempts by the English to expand their markets. Meanwhile Scotland and Ireland had no manufacturing industry at all. With the natural resources of Scotland and the vast agricultural resources of Ireland, as well as the untapped manufacturing capability of England, Manchester knew that Great Britain was a source of untapped economic resources. In late 1607, he was also appointed the Economic Commissioner of Great Britain by Parliament of England and Scotland, and he began to start his work. He began to increase incentives for shipowners, giving them lowered taxes in return for more construction of ships and navigation and sailor guilds were also subjected to lowered taxes on the account of increased navigation rights for the Royal Navy. As a result, the manufacture of English ships skyrocketed as all English shipping companies began to compete with one another for increased lower taxes by building more and better ships. In Scotland, mineral owners were given the same incentives, and this spurred on more mineral research for the Scots, and after a few years, Scotland would have one of the better mineral industries in Europe during this time period. Ireland was a little trickier, however his policies did allow the foundation of Ireland transitioning from a subsistence agricultural economy to a commercial based agricultural economy. The market radius of regional markets were increased on the condition that yields were made higher, encouraging private Irish farmers to start increasing yields from the subsistence amount for more money and market regulations were eased by the government to makes sure that the countryside and hinterlands of Ireland would be able to coalesce a proper agricultural economy that was integrated with the national market. Enclosed property was introduced into Ireland, allowing for more productive farms to be cultivated in small territories, and the English Poor Laws of 1597 were also translated into the Irish Poor Laws of 1609 which allowed the government of Ireland to subsidize farmers who weren’t doing all that well.

1623239895727.png

A depiction of the English Poor Laws being implemented in Ireland.

With all of these economic activities going on in the country, James I/VI then borrowed around 650,000 British Pounds from the Bank of Oxford on January 27, 1608, wherein he created the Trust of Britain, which was basically a reserve of money held in trust jointly by the Monarchy and the Parliaments as the monetary reserve of the newly forming nation.”

From Honorable or Dishonorable? The British Empire in India by John MacDonald [2]

“Every overseas empire had to begin somewhere and somehow. A flag had to be raised, a territory had to be claimed and settlement (whether of colonial type or of loyal populace, both can take place). In the dimly perceived conduct of a small band of bedraggled pioneers, stiff with scurvy and with sand in their hose, it is difficult to determine to what extent these various criteria were met. There might, for instance, be a case for locating the genesis of the British Empire in the West Indies, Virginia, or New England. But there is a less obvious and much stronger candidate. The seed from which grew the most extensive empire the world has ever seen was sown on Pulo Run in the Banda Islands at the eastern end of the Indonesian archipelago. As the island of Runnymede is to British constitutional history, so the island of Run is to British imperial history.

1623239940740.png

English ships outside of Pulo Run

How in 1603 Run’s first English visitors ever lit upon such an absurdly remote destination is a cause for wonder. To locate the island a map of no ordinary dimensions is needed. For to show Pulo Run at anything like scale and also include, say, Johor and Jakarta means pasting together a sheet of room size – and still Run is just an elongated speck. On the ground it measures two miles by half a mile, takes an hour to walk round and a day for a really exhaustive exploration. This reveals a modest population, no buildings of note, and no source of fresh water. There are, though, a lot of trees amongst which the botanist will recognize Myristica fragrans. Dark of foliage, willow-size, and carefully tended, it is more commonly known as the nutmeg tree.

For the nutmegs (i.e. the kernels inside the stones of the tree’s peach-like fruit) and for the mace (the membrane which surrounds the stone) those first visitors in 1603 would willingly have sailed round the world several times. Nowhere else on the globe did the trees flourish and so nowhere else was their fruit so cheap. In the minuscule Banda Islands of Run, Ai, Lonthor and Neira ten pounds of nutmeg cost less than half a penny and ten pounds of mace less than five pence. Yet in Europe the same quantities could be sold for respectively £1.60 and £16, a tidy appreciation of approximately 32,000 per cent. Not without pride would James I come to be styled ‘King of England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Puloway [Pulo Ai] and Puloroon [Pulo Run]’. The last named, thought one of its visitors, could be as valuable to His Majesty as Scotland.

True, the island never quite lived up to expectations. Indeed it would become a fraught and expensive liability. But as it happened, the importance of Run for the East India Company and so for the British Empire lay not in its scented groves of nutmeg but in one particular nutmeg seedling.

A peculiarity of the Banda islands at the beginning of the seventeenth century was that thanks to their isolation they owed allegiance to no one. Moreover, the Bandanese recognized no supreme sultan of their own. Instead authority rested with village councils presided over by orang kaya or headmen. In the best tradition of south-east Asian adat (consensus), each village or island was in fact a self-governing and fairly democratic republic. They could withhold or dispose of their sovereignty as they saw fit; and whereas the inhabitants of neighbouring Neira and Lonthor had already been bullied into accepting a large measure of Dutch control, those of outlying Ai and Run had managed to preserve their independence intact.

1623240133526.png

One of the many banners of the Mughal empire, The Hegemon of India during this time.

And this made the islands incredibly well suited for English commercial interest, without the Dutch to intervene, as the Dutch still needed English aid if they were to stand a chance against the Spanish. Soon commercial interests of the English and British soon gave way to the fact that the Indian subcontinent was the largest market for the nutmeg industry, and that the local merchants told the English merchants that India would be the place to go, if they truly wished to have a true commercial venture in South Asia.

In Late 1605, James VI/I instructed Sir Thomas Roe, and Admiral James Lancaster to seek the court of the Mughal Emperor to make sure that the English would be able to open trade on the Indian subcontinent. Sir Henry Middleton was also instructed to be a part of his diplomatic meeting of epic scales. Travelling across two oceans, the five warships that had departed from Dover reached the shores of Bengal in early 1607. Mughal naval authorities were perplexed by the arrival of Englishmen on their shores. They of course knew who the English were, the Mughal’s extensive trade with the Safavids and the Ottomans made that knowledge well known among the upper Mughal class, however England was still leagues away and they were awed to see an Englishman on their shores for the first time. Sir Thomas Roe asked to meet the Mughal Emperor for he was there for a diplomatic meeting. In August 1607, he was in Delhi where he and his small diplomatic core were given their audience with the Great Moghul, Jahangir, the 4th Mughal Emperor. Sir Thomas Roe, who was learned in Persian and Farsi, spoke with the Great Moghul in the great Iranian tongue that both knew how to converse in.

1623240162907.png

a painting depicting Sir Thomas Roe speaking with the Great Moghul.

The English showered the Mughal court with gifts, with tobacco, turkey, glass and silverwares, and gold from the new world that they had taken from the Spaniards, alongside precious silver and diamonds they had stolen from the Spanish treasure ships. India was of course rife with riches at this time, and they weren’t swayed by the normal gifts and riches, however things like tobacco and turkey impressed them immensely. Jahangir was so impressed that he allowed the two countries to open diplomatic relations, with the East India Company’s Chief Minister in India to become the official English diplomat in the Mughal court. Jahangir also allowed the construction of 3 factories in Bengal.

A factory was basically an early entrepot – which was essentially an early modern form of a free trading zone for transshipment point. At a factory foreign merchants and local inhabitants would interact with one another and trade with one another freely. These factories were small villages in and of themselves, consisting of markets, warehouses, residential quarters and a small port on the banks of a river or ocean.

Jahangir also wrote a letter, which was translated into English by Sir Thomas Roe, to the English and Scottish monarch. The letter roughly translates into:-

Upon the assurance of your royal love, I have given my general command to all the kingdoms and ports of my dominion to receive all merchants of the English and Scottish nations as the subjects of my friend; that in what place soever they choose to live, they may have free liberty without any restraint; and at what port soever they shall arrive in, that neither Portugal nor any other shall dare molest their quiet unless they wish to face the wrath of my dominion; and in what city soever they shall have residence, and I have commanded all by governors and captains to give them freedom answerable to their own desires, to sell, buy and to transport to their country at their pleasure. For confirmation of our love and friendship, I desire your Majesty to command your merchants to bring in ships of all sorts of rarities and goods that befit my palace; and that you be pleased to send me your royal letters by every opportunity; that I may rejoice in your health and prosperous affairs, that our friendship may be interchanged and forever eternal.’ – Jahangir in letter to James I/VI. [1]

While the two countries didn’t know it, the foundation for the British dominion over India started with this letter.”

1623240216709.png

Jahangir, the Great Moghul.

From Great Powers of the North African Region: The Saadi Empire by Ali Al-Mabri

“The death of Ahmad Al-Mansur in 1603 left the Anglo-Moroccan Alliance in tatters and the country of Morocco fell into a general civil war. Al-Mansur’s designated successor, his eldest son, Zidan Abu Maali was attacked from all sides, as tribal warlords of the Sahel tried to re-assert their independence and warlords such as Ahmed ibn Abi Mahalli and Sidi al-Ayachi all tried to assert power in the Moroccan country. The Anglo-Moroccan Alliance was always made with Spain in mind, however both had created ambiguous terms regarding the domestic situation, mostly because the Christian English didn’t want Moslem Moroccans interfering in English affairs domestically and the Moslem Moroccans didn’t what the Christian Englishmen interfering in their domestic affairs either. So when Abu Maali asked for English aid in 1607 against the domestic warlords, it certainly came forward as a surprise.

1623240260712.png

Ahmad Al-Mansur, the man who revitalized Morocco as a regional powerhouse.

Abu Maali wasn’t asking for military aid, however monetary aid. He needed money and desperately as al-Ayachi had plundered Al-Mansur’s treasury taking all the money of the Moroccan nation. It is here that the idea that James I/VI was a pacifist monarch becomes discredited once again. A strong Morocco was in the interests of England, as a deterrent against the Spanish, and as a result, James I/VI allowed the Moroccans to take a loan of nearly 100,000 pounds from England, and English privateers roamed the entrance of the Mediterranean and Moroccan coastlines, specifically targeting the shipping of the enemies of Abu Maali. English guns entered the army of Abu Maali and a few English supervisors were sent to the country as well.

The Spanish were caught off guard by this development, as they wanted to seize the cities of Larache and Al-Mamura in the ensuing chaos in Morocco, which they coveted with all they had however the English meddling in Morocco changed the situation entirely for the Spaniards. They had just made peace with the English and they could not afford to restart a new war with the English when one war seemed to become more and more likely in Central Europe as the Protestants and Catholics continued to clash with one another.

1623240336770.png

A depiction from a propaganda poster from the era showing Welsh, Enlish, Scottish and Irish mercenaries loaned to the Moroccans by James I.

With the aid of their English allies, the armies of Abu Maali drove the Sahel tribes back into the interior and defeated the pretenders in Fes. It would prove to be the first real test of the Anglo-Moroccan alliance, and much like the Anglo-Portuguese alliance which was restored upon Portuguese independence, the Anglo-Moroccan Alliance would soon prove to become extremely long lived and both countries would prove to be a thorn in the side of the Spanish during the first Albionic-Spanish War.”

From The Church of Britain: An Illustrious History by Griffith ap Owain

“On February 12, 1608, after around five years of hard work, and extreme religious compromise and discourse, the government of James I of England and VI of Scotland called for the conference of the Kirk and the Church of England with the Parliament of Scotland and England in attendance. Everyone knew what this was supposed to be. Several nobles and aristocrats travelled from Scotland and England all the way to Berwick, where the Conference of Berwick began.

1623240406750.png

The Stuart Royal Family during the Union of Churches

In it, James I/VI as head of the Kirk and Church of England dissolved both institutions as independent church bodies, and the Church of Britain was established in accordance with the York Confession of the Faith. The Britannic Communion was formed between the two churches, and the religious authorities of the two countries were united into one. Richard Parry, the Bishop of St. Asaph, who had been extremely important in the work of the union of churches in Wales, and translating the new authorized bible into Welsh, was chosen as the First Archbishop of Mann.

The union of the churches would prove to be the first hard step forward, for the Union of the Kingdoms.

----

[1] – real quote from Jahangir. (From Wikipedia)
    [2] - several quotes in this segment from the Honorable Company by John Keay in this chapter are present.

Last edited:
    Chapter 7: The Great Union
  • The Union of Crowns

Chapter 7: The Great Union

From The Long 17th Century: A History by Hans Schmidt

“The rapid spread of Lutheran and Calvinist ideals throughout Europe, had made the situation for the Catholic Church dire, and the Counter-Reformation that had led to the Cologne War in the 1580s and the Strasbourg Bishop’s War in the early 17th century. All of these events, hurt the credibility of the Protestants, as they believed that the counter-reformation would see their religion stamped out by the unruly Catholics. As a result, many Protestant nations in the Holy Roman Empire banded together to form what is called as the Protestant Union.

1623547559888.png

Members of the Protestant Union

Despite the actions of establishing the union having roots in deeper Protestant and reformist history, two events prompted the creation of the union. Rudolf II and Maximilian I of the Holy Roman Empire and Bavaria respectively re-imposed Catholicism in Donauworth in 1607, and in 1608, a majority of the Holy Roman Imperial Diet, bribed by the Austrians and Bavarians as they were, had decided that the possible renewal of the Peace of Augsburg, signed in 1555 would have to be conditional on the restoration of all appropriated Church lands. This threatened the economic situation of the Protestant nations, and as a result, they joined together in an alliance with one another.

This union did consist of all Protestant countries in the Holy Roman Empire, however did form the strongest block of Protestant nations within the Empire. It included the Palatinate, Neuburg, Wurttemberg, Baden-Durlach, Ansbach, Bayreuth, Anhalt, Zweibrucken, Oettingen, Hesse-Kassel, Brandenburg, Ulm, Strasbourg, Nuremburg, Rothenburg, Windsheim, Schweinfurt, Weissenburg, Nordlingen, Schwabisch Hall, Heilbronn, Memmingen, Kempten, Landau, Worms, Speyer, Aalen and Glengen. It formed a formidable block within the empire, and presented Rudolf II with a great threat to his power within the Empire. The Protestant Union already had 2 electors, and if they could woo the others, then Rudolf II would find his dominion over his empire in Central Europe in extreme trouble.

The establishment of the Protestant Union also prompted the Catholics to form their own counter-block to the Protestants, and on the 5th of July 1608, the Catholic Prince-Bishops of the Holy Roman Empire, including the ones from Augsburg, Constance, Passau, Regensburg, and Wurzburg, and finally Salzburg, joined each other in an assembly in Munich. During this meeting, the Catholic powers, sponsored by Austria, formed the Catholic League as a counter-balance to the Protestant League. The first conflict between these two power blocks would be the War of the Julich Succession, which would prove to be the prelude to the 20 Years War.

1623547707981.png

Flag of the Catholic League.

The United Duchies of Julich-Cleves-Berg entered a succession crisis in 1609, when its duke, Johann Wilhelm died on the 25th of March, 1609, sparking off a crisis throughout the general Holy Roman Empire. The Duchy had a total territory of around 14,000 square kilometers, and was extremely economically rich, due to proximity to the Spanish Road, and the German economic centers of trade. Johann Wilhelm had no children to succeed him and Rudolf II had claims to the duchies through his intermarriage. Other pretenders to the Duchies arrived in the form of Brandenburg and Palatinate as well, and while several other claimants appeared too, the claims of Rudolf II, Brandenburg and the Palatinate were the only real and credible claimants. The former Duke’s wife, Antonia of Lorraine, created a regency council, and took care of the governance of the duchies.

However the regency had been created with the explicit understanding and support from Rudolf II. Brandenburg and the Palatinate saw this a as a blatant powergrab from the Habsburg Monarchy and the Margraviate of Brandenburg-Ansbach and Palatinate-Neuberg signed the secret Treaty of Dortmund, where they promised to split the duchies between themselves and allied themselves against the Habsburg claim to the Duchies. 10,000 men of this allied force entered the Duchies and began to fight with the pro-habsburg garrison in the region, trying to enforce their claims to the region. This situation was directly against the favor of the Catholics, as the Protestant claimants taking the throne of the Duchy would directly endanger the Spanish Road. Furthermore, the situation deteriorated in 1609, when Henry IV of France, signed a secret pact with the Hohenzollerns and Wittelsbach claimants, sending a force of 22,000 men under the command of Marshal de La Chatre to Northeastern France to intimidate Rudolf II into backing down. Of all the leaders in Catholic Europe, the Protestants trusted Henry IV the most, due to his former Protestant beliefs, and his religious tolerance for Protestants in France. His aid was invaluable, as neither Spain nor Austria was capable of going to war during this time, still dealing with domestic upheavals as they were.

1623547791149.png

Henry IV of France.

The situation for the Catholic powers deteriorated when in 1610, the Dutch Republic and the Kingdom of England joined in (though England only served to be involved diplomatically and explicitly told everyone that they were not going to go to war) intervening against the Catholic claimants of the throne. The issue was diffused as claimants, Wolfgang Wilhelm, the Count Palatine of Neuburg and Joachim Ernst, the Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach took the duchies by force, dividing the duchies between themselves, and despite the fact that the forced annexation of these duchies held no official recognition from the Emperor, it was de-facto recognized by all parties involved in the War of the Julich Succession.

This small conflict would prove itself to be the violent precursor to what became the 20 Years War, as the Protestant Union and the Catholic League used valuable lessons learned in this small conflict to their advantage to further their military might.”

From The House of Vasa: A History by Gustav Andersson

“The Battle of Kircholm in 1605 had destroyed the Swedes during their fight with the Poles, it would not prove to be the turning point of the war. Jan Chodkiewicz was but a single man, and while he himself was a brilliant commander, the Swedes decided to avenge their loss at Kircholm by going on the offensive. Daugagriva Castle, an imposing fortress in Livonia, between strategic lines of communication and transportation was their first objective, and Marshal Joachim Frederick von Mansfield led a force of around 8,000 men to take the fortress that was occupied by its Polish garrison. It was strategic in the sense that without taking the fort, any attack on the city of Riga would be futile, and Riga was certainly a major goal of the Swedes. Bolstered by Scottish and English mercenaries, the Swedes attacked. The Polish garrison was commanded by Fraciszek Biallozor, who lacked men, with only 130 soldiers capable of fighting, and his cannons, around 40 of them, were old and antiquated and incapable of fighting on proper terms with Mansfield’s new modern cannons. The fortress fell to the Swedes after a day’s bombardment on the 27th of July 1608.

1623548063513.png

The Battle of Kircholm 1605

With the fortress at the heart of Riga captured, Swedish galleys from Reval began to pour into the Gulf of Riga, bringing reinforcements, ammunition and they enforced a blockade of the City of Riga itself, with the Swedes intent on taking the city. Meanwhile, Chodkiewicz was informed that the Swedes were intent on taking Riga, and he knew that he could not cut the Swedes off due to the strong reinforcements of Swedes coming from across the seas, where the Poles had no naval capability of cutting them off.

As a result, Chodkiewicz decided to move towards the city of Parnu in Swedish Estonia, which was lightly guarded by Danil von Wochen, with some 2,000 troops under his command. On March 18, 1609, these troops marched into the city of Parnu and the surprised Swedish garrison gave up without a real fight against the Polish force commanded by Chodkiewicz. Von Wochen managed to escape however, and after receiving reinforcements from Reval and Narva, his force was bolstered to 4,000 men and he turned around and laid siege to Parnu, intent on retaking the city that was captured by the Polish Hetman. Chodkiewicz and his 3,500 men were put under siege by the Swedes, with the man unable to aid the other Polish forces in their prosecution of the war.

Meanwhile the war continued to degrade for the Poles, when Vasili IV of Russia allied with the Swedes to press the Russian claims to Smolensk. The Swedes dispatched 5,000 soldiers, mostly Finns and Estonians, to Russia under the command of General Jacob de La Gardie. Tensions had been high between Russia and Poland ever since the Poles invaded in 1605 to aid the False Dmitry I. Despite the breakdown of stability in Russia during this time, which is called the Time of Troubles, Vasili IV managed to stabilize the situation for the time being, and approached Charles IX of Sweden for an alliance against Poland, which was made official during the Treaty of Viborg in 1609. The Russians, invaded the Grand Duchy of Lithuania from the east, with 30,000 men under the command of Prince Mikhail Skopin-Shuisky.

1623548107393.png
    1623548129114.png

Vasili IV of Russia and Jacob de la Gardie

The situation for the Poles was extremely dangerous, however bad news came again when Riga fell to the Swedes after a yearlong siege on the 20th of August, 1609, and the Siege of Parnu ended on December 12, 1609, which saw Chodkiewicz captured by the Swedes. He was well treated under imprisonment, however without him to make the war go better for the Poles, the war with Sweden and Poland, continued to destroy Poland’s military capability.

By mid-1610, the Swedes had reconquered Livonia, and Smolensk was under siege. A Swedish-Russian army under Jacob De La Gardie defeated a Polish relief force sent by Sigismund III under the command of Stanislaw Zolkiewiski at the Battle of Polotsk, and destroyed Poland’s hopes of turning the war around. With their soldiers mutinying due to the lack of funds, and the treasury running dry, the Poles finally sued for peace against the Russians and Swedes. With the death of Charles IX in 1611, the new King, Gustav II Adolf of Sweden also decided for peace, as Sweden was tired after a decade of war. The Treaty of Reval signed in November 21, 1611 forced Poland to cede Smolensk to the Russians, while Swedish Livonia was restored to the Swedes, and in addition they annexed the important port town of Riga. Sigismund III was forced to disavow his claim to the Swedish throne as well. The Swedes and Russians returned victorious. This war would have massive implications, as it would allow Vasili IV to stabilize his throne at home in Russia, and it would prove to become the first step into a great career for the new young king of Sweden.”

“Political integration had been the key forefront of King James I/VI policy when he took the English throne, and the Highlander War had expanded that front into Ireland as well, supported by most of the Irish Gaelic Lords. In 1609, the negotiations for union were sidelined for a year due to the War of the Julich Succession.

During the war, the English and Scots provided monetary aid to the Protestant Union, and English mercenaries, around 200 of them, found their way into the armies that were used by the Hohenzollerns to annex the Duchy. The English also intervened in late 1609 when King Henry IV of France threatened to go to war with the Holy Roman Empire. James I, ever the pacifist and peacemaker, decided to intervene diplomatically, and English ambassadors throughout the continent began to intrigue in favor of peace. It was English goading that forced Maurice, the Prince of Orange of the Dutch Republic to intervene in the War of the Jullich Succession in favor of the Protestant Union.

In mid-1610, after the defeat of the Catholic claimants, the English and Scots turned to the union once again, and this time the issue of Ireland came up. The Irish Lords did want Union with Scotland and England, however on the basis that persecution of the Irish Language stopped, and that the Catholic irish and Protestant Irish were equally represented in the House of Commons. The Loyalty of the Catholic Gaelic Lords, led by Lord Tyrone made it hard for even the die-hard and radical Protestants to deny them this right. Throughout 1610 and 1611 negotiations continued and the Chief of the O Cathain Lords of Ulster and Leinster, Donnell Ballagh O’Cahan began to negotiate what is called the Irish Emancipation Act.

1623548163120.png

Donnell Ballagh O’Cahan

This act was controversial for many devout Britannics [1] as they believed giving too much rights to the Catholics would disrupt the social fabric of the country which had fought for religion bitterly in the past half a decade. The Irish Emancipation Act passed through the English and Scottish Parliaments on March 12, 1611 and stated that in the case of full political union between the Three Kingdoms, then the number of Irish seats in the unified House of Commons would be divided equally between the Protestant Irish and Catholic Irish. The Catholic population of Ireland were allowed to have the vote (as worthless as that provision was in the 17th century, considering less than 0.1% of the population voted in England at the same time, the gravitas and posterity of the provision aided in unionist feelings), and The Irish Emancipation Act also provided the freedom of practicing the Roman Catholic Religion within only Ireland with the oath that would be made to swear allegiance to the King of Britain holding no reference to the Protestant Faith for the Irish. This would enable the Irish to legally participate in the affairs of their local governments without formally renouncing their faith. It also provided a sly solution to the English and the Scots, as now most of their own Catholics would move to Ireland, and remove the Catholic instability in their own lands for the greater moment.

After the passage of the act, almost immediately a general mass immigration took place as many Catholics from England, Wales and Scotland fled from their respective homes into Ireland, where (relative) tolerance of the Roman Catholic Faith was achieved. From 1611-1711, around ~500,000 Catholics from Scotland and England would leave and emigrate to Ireland, forming the basis of the modern Anglo-Irish and Irish-Scots community in the Emerald Isle, which constitutes a tenth to a fifth of their total population today.

Finally on the 18th of November, 1611, the Acts of the Union were signed by the English Government, Parliament and the Scottish Government, Parliament. The Lord High Chancellor of Scotland, Alexander Seton, the 1st Earl of Dunfermline and the Lord High Chancellor of England, Thomas Egerton, the 1st Viscount of Brackley met with one another in London and declared that their union was invaluable and forever, and soon after on November 26, the Lord Chancellor of Ireland, Thomas Jones, the Archbishop of Dublin, also declared Ireland to be in union.

union of crowns scotland graphic.png

Ratification of the Acts of the Union in Scotland and Ireland. Red voted no for Union and Green voted yes for Union
    (Note: The 'voters' were all landed commissioners, and not the common people however).

The Second Acts of the Union were then signed on the 27th of November, 1611 with the following provisions:-

Article [1] decreed that the ‘Three Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland, shall upon the 1st of January, 1612, shall be forever after be united into one Kingdom by the name of Great Britannia.’
    Article [2] proved the legitimacy and primacy of the House of Stuart as the ruling dynasty of the new kingdom.
    Article [3] provided for the creation of the unified Parliament of Great Britannia. 475 seats were designated for England, 30 for Wales, 50 for Scotland and 108 for Ireland (54 for Catholics and 54 for Protestants) for a total seat amount of 663. 20 Scottish Peers were to be sent to the House of Lords alongside 34 Irish Peers (17 Catholic and 17 Protestant).
    Article [4] provided the provisions needed for the freedom of trade and navigations between the now united three kingdoms.
    Articles [5-18] dealt with the economy of the nation, with the British Pound reaffirmed as the currency of the kingdom.
    Article [19-21] reaffirmed the continuation of the Scottish, Irish and English legal systems with the continuation of the Magna Carta, and Scots Law most prominently.
    Articles [22-27] provided the new departments and rights of the kingdom as well.

In Scotland and Ireland majority of the commissioners present for ratifying the union, voted in favor of ratifying the union, and on December 21, the Parliament of England, Scotland and Ireland adjourned themselves and the Parliament of Great Britannia was opened by James I/VI. On January 1, 1612, James I/VI was proclaimed King James I of Great Britannia. Thus the political situation in Europe, changed forever.”

1623548218151.png

Flag of the Kingdom of Great Britannia

[1] – Remember that the Anglican and Scottish Churches have united. Their colloquial name is Britannic Communion or simply Britannics ittl.

Last edited:
    Chapter 8: Diplomacy and War
  • The Union of Crowns

Chapter 8: Diplomacy and War

“Unfortunately for James I, the new King of Great Britain started his reign over the united isles with bad news and a bad omen. His wife, Anne of Denmark died on the 13th of February 1612, having suffered a particularly harmful attack of Gout which attacked her in a manner that allowed a new dropsy attack to injure her internal organs in a fatal manner. Anne of Denmark had been somewhat injured and lame ever since 1610, when Viscount Lisle, the chamberlain of the Queen mentioned in September 1610 that ‘the Queen hath been a little lame’ and after that she started to suffer from particularly hard bouts of attacks from multiple diseases.

1623754894683.png

Anne of Denmark

James I visited Anne only once during her last week of life, though their son Charles, the future Duke of York, often slept in the adjoining bedroom at Hampton Court Palace and was at her bedside even at her last moments. Despite the fact that James I had been neglectful of Anne pretty much throughout their entire marriage, James was affected by the death of his wife. He did not visit his wife during her last moments, believing himself unable to look at her sickly form for fear of breaking down, and Sir Theodore de Mayerne, the Royal Doctor mentioned that the King was ‘fainting, sighing, dreading and incredibly sad at the prospect of losing his Queen.’

As the King had done before meeting her, King James turned towards music, and verse to pay his respects to his now dead queen. ‘So did my Queen from Hence her court remove; And left off earth to be enthroned above; She changed, not dead, for sure no good prince dies; But, as the sun, sets, only for to rise.’ [1]

In court whispers began to grow that the death of the Queen was a sign from above that the union was unstable and not meant to last. Many dissidents against the union in England began to encourage this rumor and began spreading word as such throughout the English countryside. James I who caught wind of such news from his servants was furious and had several people who had encouraged such rumors imprisoned in various prisons. Despite his personal grief at the death of his wife, he left his sons, Henry Frederick and Charles to grieve for him, whilst he immediately returned to the forefront of British political policy making.

1623754932629.png

Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales and future Henry I of Great Britannia

The 13 year old Maria Eleonora was coming to Britannia to meet Henry Frederick, her intended for the first time, and the British had to make an impression on the Brandenburgian contingent. Provisions were stockpiled, and preparations for a grand festival in her honor were being prepared. Nary two weeks after good Queen Anne had died, on the 28th of February, 1612, Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg arrived in London aboard a British transport merchant ship, and the city of London was decked out in the festive mood as their future Queen, still a small girl at the time, entered her new homeland, looking at the scene with wide eyes. She met Prince Henry Frederick for the first time, despite having corresponded with one another previously through letters and got along well with one another. Henry Frederick was competent, but he was also pompous to the level of priggishness, which matched Maria Eleonora’s vain side. The two got along well. The two also bonded over the grieving of the Queen’s death, cementing the fruitful and loving relationship that the two would have with one another throughout their relationship in the future.

Hugh O’Neil, the Earl of Tyrone, and famous former rebel against the now defunct English Throne also became of a sort of guiding figure for the couple, O’Neil became Henry Frederick’s martial teacher. He also guided them in the ways of a happy life with one’s wife. Famously one side effect of O’Neil teaching Henry Frederick was that Henry learned how to speak in Irish and was quite fluent in the language till the end of his life.

After Maria Eleonora settled down to her new life in Britain, with her marriage scheduled for 1616, James I began to turn his eyes towards his eldest daughter, Elisabeth. As the daughter of the reigning monarch of Britain, Elisabeth was very much a desirable prize for any respectful and prospective bride during that time. Suitors from all across Europe sought her hand. This list included Frederic Ulric, the Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel, the famous Maurice of Nassau, Theophilius Howard, the Lord Howard of Walden and later second Earl of Suffolk, Otto, the Hereditary Prince of Hesse, and Victor Amadeus, Prince of Piedmont, who despite his Catholicism, was so enchanted by the prospect of marrying Elisabeth wrote down in his official letter to James I that Elisabeth would be allowed to remain true to her Protestant faith if she allowed their children to be raised as Catholics.

1623754990027.png

Princess Elisabeth

But perhaps the greatest offer came from Gustavus Adolphus, or more famously known as Gustav II Adolf, the Great of Sweden. Merely 18 years old in 1612, he was successful as he was charismatic. He had wanted a marriage alliance with Brandenburg, however Maria Eleonora’s marriage to Henry Frederick made that a non-starter and Maria’s sisters weren’t really interested in marrying Gustav II. John Sigismund, the Elector of Brandenburg was one of those rare parents during the 17th century who listened to the choices of his children and agreed to make sure that Catherine would marry on her own choice [2]. Gustav II then turned his eyes towards the west, to the British Isles.

Jacob Spens, the Swedish Ambassador to the court of James I was enthusiastic about the proposal, and courted James I throughout the months of 1612 haggling the man for creating a marriage between Gustav II and Elisabeth. James I was not against marrying Elisabeth to Gustav II, however as a self-proclaimed King of Peace, he had wanted to marry Elisabeth to a catholic after the betrothal of Henry Frederick to Maria, who was a protestant. Spens meanwhile used cunning methods to try and convince the King. He reminded James I that Britain’s ally, Portugal was an enemy of Britain due to their king being the King of Spain as well, after the inheritance of 1580. Britain had no real allies in Europe, and Brandenburg was not going to be a stopper against any attack by either France, Spain or the Holy Roman Empire. Meanwhile, Sweden was a rising power, and the Treaty of Reval handed the important trading port of Riga into Swedish hands, and that was simply an added sweetener for James I, as Riga opening to extra British trade would certainly be delightful for the British economy.

Finally on the 18th of April, 1612, James I finally fell to the many prodding’s of Spens and agreed that a marriage between Sweden and Britain would be beneficial to the British economy and the British geopolitical power in the region. The near eruption of war in 1611 between Sweden and Denmark over Charles IX trying to tax Nordland had led to heightened tensions between Sweden and Denmark, however for the moment, war had been averted by the death of Charles IX and ascension of Gustav II [3]. As a result, with Sweden’s growing empire in the Baltic region, and their commitment to the Protestant cause, an alliance between London and Stockholm was becoming more and more worthwhile, especially as the death of Anne broke the unspoken alliance between Denmark and Britain, and Denmark continued to raise the sound tolls over the Oresund to balance their finances which was historically always rather ill-made.

On the 21st of April, 1612, a letter was dispatched from London to Stockholm, approving of the courtship of Elisabeth from Gustav II, and Gustav II, when he heard of the news on the 12th of May, 1612, was elated that his proposal as suitor was accepted. He was so elated that he told Axel Oxenstierna, the Lord High Chancellor of Sweden to look after matters at home, whilst he went to London to court his future wife. Oxenstierna, always the cool and cold man, was himself caught by surprise by this enthusiasm shown by Gustav II and agreed to allow the man to go to Britain for 2 months, though he was insistent on the point that the marriage take place in Sweden itself. Gustav II acquiesced to the demands of his Chancellor and departed for Britain on the 13th of May. On the 3rd of June, he arrived in London and was led to the palace amidst a great procession.

1623755044619.png

Gustav II Adolf of Sweden.

Immediately after the initial pleasantries, Gustav II began to court Elisabeth and the match seemed to be accepted by both from the very beginning. Contemporaries of the era mention how Gustav II seemed to delight in the company of Elisabeth during his visit and Elisabeth also seemed to be cordial with the Swedish King. Prince Henry Frederick, who like all boys during his teens, looked up to the Swedish monarch, who had 18 had already won his first war, and approved of the marriage. On the 25th of May, two weeks after Gustav II arrived in London, he began to make preparations for the marriage back in London and formally asked James I the hand of Elisabeth in marriage. James I accepted the proposal and Elisabeth was officially betrothed to Gustav II on the 26th of May. After one week in Britain, on the 2nd of June, 1612, the to be couple left Britain to be wed in Sweden, with Elisabeth taking a group of hand-picked handmaidens and assistants with her. Most famously, Henry Frederick gave his little sister, whom he was fond of, a golden necklace which she would wear for her entire life as Queen of Sweden.

The two would be wed in Tre Konor Castle in Stockholm in a grand marriage on the 2nd of August 1612. This couple would go on to bring about 6 children, of whom 4 would survive into adulthood.

However despite the fact that the marriage had been beneficial to Britain geopolitically and economically, the marriage had cost a large dowry and James I had been forced to ask for the newly formed Parliament of Great Britannia to raise funds for the dowry. Handing over around 100,000 pounds was not an easy task, then or now. Parliament was already grumbling at the extravagant lifestyle of James I and the dowry price had made Parliament tell their monarch that they would not be funding any sort of extravagant scheme in the future, despite James I’s wishes, who had got away with his extravagance until then. As he wanted to have a catholic match for Charles, the Duke of York, he immediately began looking for matches that would bring in a large amount of dowry to solve his parliamentary problem.

1623755118304.png

Claudia de Medici

The best candidate for that was Claudia de Medici. Catholic she was, and rich she was as well. The Medici family was infamously rich and their control over Tuscany had seen the region grow into an economic powerhouse. The Grand Duke of Tuscany was Cosimo II, the brother of the one that James I intended to make his younger son marry. The de Medici family was immediately contacted by the British diplomats, and presented with the offer. Normally for high ranking powers of Europe, like Sweden, Poland, France, Spain, and the Holy Roman Empire, marrying their daughters to second sons was seen largely as a disgrace. However for small regional powers such as Tuscany, the idea of marrying into one of the great powers of Europe was enticing, even if the marriage was to the second child. Cosimo II agreed to the match, on the condition that Claudia’s Catholicism not be tampered with.

1623755157412.png

Cosimo II of Tuscany

James I accepted this condition, and the match went on ahead. It was then agreed that Claudia de Medici and Charles, Duke of York would marry one another in early 1620, after both had matured and reached adulthood. And with that marriage, James I managed to get the Catholic match he wanted, and the money that came with it as well.”

From Honorable or Dishonorable, the Empire of Britain in India.

“Sir Thomas Best, the English/British admiral who was known for defeating the rebel navy during the Highlander War found himself in a world of adventure as he sailed for India to take part in the newly christened British East India Company. Emperor Jahangir of the Mughal Empire was certainly taken with England and Britain and the two were soon starting to conspire with one another to remove Portuguese influence in the region and replace them with English ones. For Jahangir, Britain who seemed to be an ally was much better than the Portuguese, who openly flouted Mughal rule. The British had followed Mughal laws and customs in their factories in India whilst the Portuguese had not. For Jahangir this was enough of a reason to ally with the British. On the 13th of September 1612, a Portuguese fleet moved away from Surat into the southern region of the Daman ocean front in the Arabian Gulf just as Sir Thomas Best asked Emperor Jahangir permission to construct 1 British factory in Surat. The Emperor of the Mughal Empire replied with an offer. Best would be able to construct British factories in Gujarat all he wanted, if he could get rid of the Portuguese corsairs and privateers who were wreaking havoc on the Mughal shipping and trade in the Arabian gulf, wreaking their trade with the Ottoman Empire and Safavid Empire. Best was caught aback by the offer, but he accepted the opportunity presented to him.

1623755196932.png

Admiral Sir Thomas Best

He turned his fleet of 4 galleons and began to shadow the Portuguese fleet under the command of a commander whose name is lost to history. The Portuguese fleet sailed south unaware of the disaster accompanying them, and managed to dock at Daman before entering the Daman Ganga River with their 26 barks to collect taxes and trade in the interior near the city of Kachigam and Bhimpore. At that moment, Best struck. His four galleons used the morning mist on the 28th of September, 1612 to attack the 4 Portuguese galleons at port in Daman and managed to sink one of them and de-commissioned the other three out of the fight entirely. And then the 4 galleons blockaded the mouth of the Daman Ganga River. When the Portuguese came back towards the ocean to regroup with their main force after collecting the riches they had come for, they found themselves under attack and blockaded. 5 barks were destroyed and sunk before the rest of the Portuguese force surrendered to Sir Thomas Best.

1623755240866.png

The drawing of the Battle of Daman River.

The Battle of Daman River destroyed the capability of the Portuguese to project power into the internal river deltas of the region next to Daman and effectively opened the Bhimpore-Muscat sea lane for the Mughal Empire. Jahangir was so impressed with the impressive victory that he allowed the English to build 3 Factories in Gujurat and even gave the Daman port, and Jampore beach to the British East India company as an independent exclave for the company. It was still subject to Mughal Taxation and Mughal Social Law, however it was given to the British to handle economically and British East Indian Troops and ships were allowed to base there. It would be the starting of an empire in India.”

1623755281688.png

The lands shaded in red was given to the British East India Company

From The Royal Army: A Proud History

1623755324645.png

Sir Francis Bacon

“Sir Francis Bacon, one of England’s most gifted minds in the early 1600s managed to create a new cipher in 1605 that was virtually unknown to many throughout the continent and extremely hard to crack through. What made it revolutionary was the fact that the message was concealed in the representation of the text rather the content itself, which was frankly, a very new concept. In it, to encode a message, each letter of the normal and everyday plaintext was replaced by a group of five of the letters ‘A’ or ‘B’. This replacement is a 5 bit binary encoding and is done according to the alphabet of the baconian cipher [4], which is shown below:-

LetterCodeBinary
    Aaaaaa00000
    Baaaab00001
    Caaaba00010
    Daaabb00011

E
    aabaa00100
    Faabab00101
    Gaabba00110
    Haabbb00111
    I, Jabaaa01000
    KAbaab01001
    LAbaba01010
    Mababb01011
    NAbbaa01100
    OAbbab01101
    PAbbba01110
    QAbbbb01111
    RBaaaa10000
    SBaaab10001
    TBaaba10010
    U,VBaabb10011
    WBabaa10100
    XBabab10101
    YBabba10110
    Zbabbb10111
    [5]

It was a simple, yet groundbreaking and effective manner of ciphers and cryptography that had never been seen or applied before. In 1612, the commissioners of the newly formed British Army began to look into the cipher as a means of making it the army’s cipher. It would become one of the most notorious ciphers throughout the 20 Years War.”

[1] – Real and actual poem made by James I for Anne after her death.

[2] - true fact, he was very considerate of his daughter’s own choices.

[3] – i.e. the Kalmar War does not happen ittl.

[4] – Quoted from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon's_cipher

[5] – This is from the above link as well.

Chapter 9: The Calm before Storm
  • The Union of Crowns

Chapter 9: The Calm before Storm

“Perhaps the greatest fact about English and British colonization and its difference between their own style of colonization and the Spanish style of colonization was that the Anglos, Scots and Irishmen who settled down in the Americas were more individualist, and more democratic and more capitalistic than their Spanish counterparts. Britain liked to keep their colonies decentralized, to allow the colonies, who would know better about the local conditions, to do as they pleased, as long as they stood within British policy limits, however the Spanish liked to exercise total centralizing dominance over their colonies which forced many opportunities in Spanish hands to slip beneath their fingers.

1624001378008.png

A depiction of the Susquehannock

However the greatest defect of this decentralization was that often, colonies started wars with the natives and local colonies of other European powers on their own, dragging the motherland with them. One such war was the 1st Albionic-Susquehannock War. The first conflict between the Native Americans and the British colonizers. Led by popular and powerful admiral and colonizer, John Smith, the first contact that the Susquehannock and the British had was in 1608 when the Natives arrived at the outskirts of Anneville to trade with them. The Susquehannock had traded with French settlers in Canada and the Canadiens and as a result, the Susquehannock were well accustomed to trading with the so called White man. Indeed, the French had extensive trading contacts with the Susquehannock, with Samuel de Champlain, the man who would become the first governor of French Canada would write down in 1611 that the Susquehannock were frequent visitors of northern Canada and the French settlements.

1624001424438.png

Samuel de Champlain

The Susquehannock and the British lived together in peace and harmony more or less for the first few years of the colonization of Virginia [1] and the two sides traded with one another extensively. That was however not to last. Both sides were to blame for the conflict. Colonists often entered Native territory on purpose at times to forage for food when the territory they controlled did not render enough food for the settlements, angering the natives, and the natives also started to conduct raids inside the settlements which were harmful and deadly to the colonists. On the 18th of August 1613, the Colony of Virginia, which was basically just Anneville and the surrounding territories during this time, counter attacked against a raid from the Utchowig tribe of the Susquehannock and decided that compensation for the raids were needed. Led by Captain John Ratcliffe, around 30 colonists departed from Anneville in a small raiding maneuver and attacked the Utchowig’s settlements in the northern regions and demanded that the tribe give them compensation for the damages that they had made in the colony. The Utchowig appealed to the strongest warlord of the Susquehannock, a man named Wisck[2], who hailed from the Cepowig tribe. Wisck declared that the Utchowig had been in the right and that the British colonizers who not receive any sort of compensation.

This angered the colonists, and from a population of 3000 colonists in and around of Anneville, around 300 militiamen were raised by the colony and they attacked the settlement of Cepowig, which was the place for which the Cepowig tribe was named after. The Cepowig under Wisck fought back, and the colonists were routed at first, as they had poor understanding of the terrain and the Natives were fighting on home territory. However, the colonists were soon back and after the Battle of Cepowig on the 19th of September, 1612, the settlement was razed by colonists. The colonists then started to loot the settlement and then they turned to face the consequences of their actions. The Utchowig, Attaock, and Tsinigh tribes of the Susquehannock were all alarmed by this action of the Colonists and banded together in a confederacy to attack and defeat the colonists. The Colonists may have had the technology to defeat the natives, however the natives had their knowledge of the area, and the force of numbers on their side, and anyone with a proper brain could see what would happen if the colonists entered the fray of battle without proper thinking. So John Smith allied the colony with the Quadroque, a Susquehannock tribe which had a bone to pick with the Utchowig due to their disputed land territories of their tribes. Together they attacked the so called Susquehannock Confederacy after winter had passed on the 13th of February 1613 and defeated the Susquehannock Confederacy at the Battle of Susquehanna on the 27th of February, 1613. The Natives now saw that the colonists were not going to lose easily and they decided to cut their loses. Wisck approached Smith and Rattcliffe and sued for peace. On the 25th of March, 1613 the Treaty of Cepowig was signed between the colonists and the Susquehannock Confederacy, which under the stable hand of Wisck was seemingly becoming a permanently nation state entity.

1624001468442.png

Susquehannock warriors on the outskirts of Anneville during the war.

The treaty was lackluster compared to modern treaties ranging from twenty to fifty pages, and instead this treaty covered barely 2 pages. In it, the colonists got the compensation they asked for in return for granting the right of the natives to defend their land from any intruder from the colonists in a non-fatal manner. As a show of good faith, Wisck’s daughter, a ~20 year woman named Achonhaeffti was married to John Ratcliffe, the commander of the militiamen, as a measure of maintaining the newfound peace.

1624001544275.png

A depiction of Achonhaeffti

Before 1613, Englishmen and Scots and Irishmen who populated the colony didn’t marry native women due to the cultural arrogance that the northern Europeans had in regards to Native American culture during this time period, alongside the implacable conviction that for some reason the natives would be culturally assimilated in no time. Achonhaeffti found barriers to her peace offered marriage with Ratcliffe as the man refused to marry a ‘pagan’. Achonhaeffti subsequently converted to the Britannic Church and took the Anglicized name of Achonisia, though she continued to call herself Achonhaeffti in private and with family. Ratcliffe agreed to marry her after the conversion took place. The marriage of Ratcliffe and Achonhaeffti would prove to be an important marker in British colonial history. After this event most colonists would agree to marry native women if they converted to Christianity. The colonial holdings of Britain during the early 17th century had a lack of women and the intermarriage between the natives and colonists would give birth to a new intermixed race, which was termed by the colonists as ‘The Mixed’. The British would term them as the Mixtas. [3] In rare times, some colonial women too married converted native men, though in most occasions of these happenings, the native men often took the surname of their wife. The Susquehannock tribe would become the most intermixed tribe in colonial genetic history and the Mixtas represent a plural proportion of Anglo population in the New World even today (~15% – 25%). These Mixtas would go onto assimilate into British society though they retained enough of their native heritage to largely form a unique culture in and of themselves.” [4]

From The Stuart Age: The Golden Era of Britannia by John MacDonald

“It is perhaps important to note that James I had always been slightly sickly in nature, suffering from various diseases now and then. However the death of his wife the previous year, and the estranged relationship that he enjoyed with his eldest son, Henry Frederick had torn the man’s heart. He was criticized in court for the extravagance of his living style, and the parliament was always eager to join critics of the monarchy. At the age of 47, on March 4, 1613 James I of Great Britannia died. He had been suffering from dysentery and violent bouts of porphyria for some time and the exhaustion of these diseases in an era before modern medicine, could sometimes become fatal. This was the case for James I and he succumbed to these diseases, living behind a powerful kingdom that was partially of his own making.

1624001641213.png

a Painting of Henry I of Britannia

Henry Frederick, just 19 and recently married, was proclaimed as King Henry I of Great Britannia, and though the new King hadn’t been close to his now late father, he ordered a week long mourning in the memory of him and declared that any vilifying sentence against the former king would be met with disastrous consequences. As was normal when a reigning monarch died, a new parliament was elected and convened and Henry I made his picks about the new positions in the British government known. Robert Cecil, the 1st Earl of Salisbury was to be promoted, and he became the Lord High Chancellor of Britannia, whilst Edward Conway, the 1st Viscount of Conway became the Secretary of the State. Edward Somerset, the 4th Earl of Worcester, and one of Henry I’s favorites in the government became the Lord Privy seal, whilst an opponent of his, Sir Humphrey May became the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. Henry Montagu, the 1st Earl of Manchester, and a critic of the young king’s brash attitude also became the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Thomas Howard, the 14th Earl of Arundel became the secretary of state for England, whilst his father’s old favorite, Ludovic Stewart, the 2nd Duke of Lennox became the secretary of state for Scotland and his tutor, Hugh O’Neil, the Earl of Tyrone was appointed secretary of state for Ireland. Finally, William Douglas, a fierce critic of the union based in Scotland and a minor baron, was chosen as the Lord President of the Council.

1624001696750.png

The new Council.

This government was dubbed by Henry I as the ‘Governmental Council’ in line with the Monarch and the Parliament. The name that he applied would stick even until this day. [5] The appointment of several of his critics into the council surprised many but Henry I, despite all his rash and headstrong behavior knew that he was young, and not at all ready to govern the nation and neither was he ready to lead. Therefore his critics were chosen so that he hear proper truth regarding his action and try and improve upon them.

Despite this, Henry I was young and headstrong, and most of all he wanted the glory of war. He wanted a war so desperately that he asked Salisbury whether or not they could launch an expedition against the Habsburgs in the Low Countries in support of the Dutch, which would completely destroy the Truce that the Dutch had signed with the Spaniards some years before. Salisbury kindly and politely told his new King that the British economy was doing fine and would probably be able to withstand the strain of war, but the British had nowhere near the resources to create a fully functioning army that could be sent overseas. A few English and Scottish mercenaries were not armies. Henry I grumbled but he accepted the words of his old and wise Lord High Chancellor. Instead he turned to the Royal Navy. As an island nation, it was imperative for Britain to have a strong navy, but after 1588, the Royal Navy had been decaying and James I, who didn’t like navies all that well, had only continued its neglect. The once proud Royal Navy…….was a dump. It was weak and its paper strength was nowhere near the sad reality.

Henry I was furious.

1624001760645.png

King James, one of the warships commissioned by Henry I in the name of his father.

The Royal Navy underwent a massive corruption legislation in the latter half of 1613 and saw several inept commanders discharged from service. Under the brilliant financial heads of the Earl of Manchester and Richard Weston, money was raised to construct new better ships with more guns and firepower, and a massive corruption committee ousted several corrupt administrators and admirals within the Royal Navy. The Henry Charges as they would come to be known as would charge nearly 46 admirals, and over 280 administrators of the Royal Navy with corruption and nepotism and would see many of them discharged from service and a good few even arrested. It would prove the basis for the construction of the modern meaning of the Royal Navy as we know it.”

From Europe’s Tragedy: The Twenty Years War by Gustav de la Gardie

“When Rudolf II, the Holy Roman Emperor, and head of the Austrian branch of the House of Habsburg, King of Bohemia and Hungary gazed down from the palace of Hradcany in Prague, he felt a rather light breeze of unease sweeping through his body. On one hand, the city was a city of high culture, intellectual ferment and political intrigue; on the other it was a breeding ground for heretics (in the eyes of Rudolf II) for men such as Giordano Bruno, alchemists such as John Dee etc. Equally the city was a thriving trade hub as the economic link between Austria, Hungary, Germany and Poland. Rudolf II would remark to his friend and aide, Cardinal Kesl that ‘Something is afoot in Prague. Something that will see Europe asunder.’

1624001833977.png

Christian of Anhalt.

Unfortunately for Europe, this foreshadowing would prove to be prophetic. Religious distrust between the Protestants and the Catholics ran extremely deep. Christian of Anhalt, for example, was the leading diplomatic monarch of the Protestant League and he unequivocally believed that a Papal-Habsburg conspiracy to eradicate Protestantism existed and as a result, the Protestant League would have to take several pre-emptive strikes against the Catholics to make sure that the Protestants had their rights and powers secured. Christian of Anhalt thus decided to make his protégé, Frederick V of the Palatinate, the face of Protestantism in the Holy Roman Empire, and training the young boy, began to involve himself in intrigues against the Habsburg Dynasty. Yet the war that Anhalt so desperately wanted never came to be, due to circumstances beyond his particular control. Henri IV’s assassination threw a spanner into his plans and the war he wanted was not going to come, at least for the time being.

1624001882486.png

Melchior Klesl, Bishop of Vienna

For the moment, however, the cause of peace did at least appear to have received a flip of sorts from a rather more unexpected quarter in the shape of Melchior Klesl, Bishop of Vienna, who had become Imperial Chancellor after Emperor Matthias’s election. Converting to Catholicism while a student at Vienna University, he had risen, as a result of Jesuit and Habsburg patronage and a silken tongue that was every bit as capable as his mind, to become Matthias’s counsellor-in chief. And in doing so, he had established an equally firm reputation as a clerical wheeler-dealer no less familiar with the teachings of Machiavelli than the precepts of the four evangelists. Yet in spite of his reputation as a man of few fixed principles and even fewer friends, it was Klesl’s pragmatism that now made him, arguably, the last best hope for peace, as he sought to arrest the drift towards confrontation by achieving a ‘composition’ of the contending religious factions, premised upon the dilution and transformation of both the Protestant Union and the Catholic League. For each alliance, as the bishop wisely appreciated, contained not only centrifugal forces, which might well be subtly exploited by skilful management, but also more moderate members who might easily be encouraged to co-operate with the right inducements.

The first priorities were to revive the traditional Imperial alliance with Catholic Mainz and Lutheran Saxony, thus restoring an important bridge across the religious divide, and then to convert the League into a wider non-confessional body under Imperial presidency which would include the Lutherans and thereby isolate the Palatinate, which under Anhalt, was becoming more and more belligerent as the days passed.

But even Klesl’s best efforts were only partially successful, for in August 1613 representatives of the Union had walked out of the Diet at Regensburg immediately after it opened when it became clear that, while some judicial reforms might be granted, their main demands regarding the abolition of the Reservatum Ecclesiasticum, the restoration of independence to Donauwörth, and the recognition of the religious liberty of Aachen – where in 1612, after several years of agitation supported by the Union, a Catholic magistracy installed by Spanish troops in 1598 had been overthrown – would not be met. And the bishop’s initial impact on the League became more pronounced still, after he had secured Austria’s admittance in 1613 and thereby prompted the withdrawal of Maximilian of Bavaria, who feared that this was indeed a prelude to the admittance of Lutherans.

Klesl’s worries grew bigger and bigger after his mixed attempts at reconciliation, when Mathias died on the 27th of December, 1613. The official reason given for the death was natural causes, however, Klesl knew better. Archduke Maximilian III of Austria, also known as Archduke Maximilian of Poland had poisoned the old emperor due to his rather pro-Protestant views. This allowed the door for Archduke Ferdinand of Styria to become Holy Roman Emperor. And as the electors began their journeys to Frankfurt for the new Imperial Election, tensions rose in Bohemia. Styria had been one of the most powerful strongholds of Protestantism in Upper Austria and Southern Germany but under the rule of Archduke Ferdinand, Protestantism had virtually been wiped off the map in that region of the Habsburg Monarchy. Many feared that Ferdinand would do the same in Bohemia and repeal the acts of tolerance in Bohemia, which was granted by Mathias and Rudolf II.

1624001928627.png

Archduke Ferdinand

Ferdinand’s reign coupled with his chief advisor, Archduke Maximilian’s policies, would prove to be the spark that set Europe alight.” [6]

---

[1] – remember Virginia ittl is Maryland otl.

[2] – real dude

[3] – Latin for Mixed

[4] – I did my research from To Make Them Like Us: European-Indian Intermarriage in Seventeenth Century North America by Jennifer Agee Jones in which she writes that apparently the early colonists were so starved for women that they accepted marriage with the natives until James I/VI sent more women colonists in 1615. That momentum of marrying between the two sides is not lost ittl

[5] – governmental council becomes the equivalent of cabinet ittl.

[6] - information from Europe in Flames: Crisis of the Thirty Years War by
    John Matusiak.

Family Tree at the starting of 1614
  • The Stuart Dynasty at the beginning of 1614

1. James I of Great Britain (1566-1613) m. Anne of Denmark
    a. Henry I of Great Britain (1594 - present) m. Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg
    b. Elizabeth, Queen of Sweden (1596 - present) m. Gustav II Adolf
    i. Charles (Karl) (1614 - )
    c. Charles, Duke of York and Albany, (1600 - present), betrothed to Claudia de Medici
    d. Robert, Duke of Kintyre (1602)
    e. Mary (1605 - present)

Chapter 10: War
  • The Union of Crowns

Chapter 10: War

From The Tragedy of Europe by Johann von Oldenburg

“The ascension of Ferdinand II as the Holy Roman Emperor in late 1613 after the 1613 Imperial Elections was of course, of great concern for the Bohemians. Styria had been a hotbed of Protestant ideals, and one of the birthplaces of the entire Reformation. Now, under the governorship of Ferdinand II, the entire region was firmly catholic once again, and this made everyone in Bohemia fear for the Reformist and Protestant ideals of Bohemia, which had fallen into the hands of the Habsburg Dynasty.

1624450515010.png

Rudolf II granting the Letter of Majesty

Ferdinand II at first stated that he would respect the Letter of Majesty which gave the right of religious freedom in Bohemia, however anyone who knew the man personally knew that he was only saying this to secure his throne. This can be seen in ample amounts, when he appointed 10 Catholic as his regents in Prague and only 3 Protestants rather than the pre-accepted rule of a 7 to 6 split in favor of Catholics in the regency. This would only be a prelude for things to come.

Despite this however, and his fierce Catholic values, Ferdinand II proved to be an able negotiator, and when he contacted John George I, Elector of Saxony, who was a fierce Lutheran. Ferdinand II wanted John George I’s support in the Imperial Elections and against the growing Protestant League from which Saxony had withdrawn from. John George I was personally committed to Lutheranism, and this wasn’t in doubt, however he was a moderate and not wanting to disrupt the political balance of power in the Habsburg Dynasty and the Holy Roman Empire, he agreed to support Ferdinand II’s ascension as King of the Romans. He was also wary of the growing power of Brandenburg and was wary of their intentions on the Brandenburg-Saxon border. Frederick V of the Palatinate had recently married Princess Maria Elizabeth of Sweden, and though this marriage had given him goodwill in Stockholm, there was no certainty that the Swedes would come to his aid, as such Frederick V had also agreed to support the ascension of Ferdinand II as the Holy Roman Emperor. The influence of John George I on Frederick V also ensured that the man voted in favor of Ferdinand II.

1624450546201.png

John George I of Saxony

But soon enough after his ascension as King of the Romans and Holy Roman Emperor, Ferdinand II dismissed the largely reconciliatory Cardinal Klesl as his advisor and instead adopted the hardline catholic Archduke Maximilian and Cardinal Anton Wolfradt to become the new religious advisor of the Holy Roman Emperor. This sent shockwaves throughout Bohemia, as the Bohemians had thought that Klesl would keep his position, and he was popular in the region due to his relative agreement with the Bohemian autonomy and freedom of religion. The Bohemians were already starting to become more and more suspicious of Ferdinand II, however this suspicion turned into anger soon enough, when Ferdinand II sent two governing advisors to the Estates of Bohemia in his name, both hardline Catholics; Jaroslav Martinic and Vilem Slavata. This further alienated the Bohemians, but since the religious policies of tolerance in Bohemia weren’t repealed by the Emperor, they sat quiet for the time being, angered and suspicious, but not in the mood to really start a war against the Imperial armies.

However soon enough, relations between the Emperor and the Bohemians started to sour. In particular, Count Jindrich Matyas Thurn, the leader of the Bohemian Protestant Nobles who were opposed to Ferdinand II and his ascension began to gain power in the Bohemian Estates as Ferdinand II slowly encroached upon Bohemian Religious tolerance and freedom.

On the 3rd of July 1614, Martinic ordered that several protestant churches in the eastern half of Prague be inspected for ‘corruption’ allegations over money and church services being fraudulent. For all involved, this was a blatant allegation that was made up from the thin air and this reason was used by Martinic to seize 12 Protestant Churches that were converted into Catholic Church’s soon afterwards. This enraged the population of Prague, mostly Protestant at the time, and they demanded that the Bohemian Estates do something about this blatant encroachment into Bohemian Religious Freedom. The Estates convened on the 18th of September, 1614 and wrote down a list of demands and sent it to Emperor Ferdinand II. The demands are long, and it would take days for us to write it down properly, but the basic demands of the list, called famously as the Bohemian List were:-

• The re-affirmation of the Letter of Majesty by the writing of a Second Letter of Majesty by Emperor Ferdinand II.
    • The return of all seized Protestant Churches and Lands in Bohemia
    • The dismissal of Martinic and Slavata and to be replaced by 1 Protestant and 1 Catholic.
    • The Emperor to come to Prague in person to open and prorogue the Bohemian Estates to reaffirm his position on Bohemian Religious Tolerance in person.
    The demands were sent to Ferdinand II who was in Pressburg meeting with the Diet of Hungary. Filled to the brim with hardline Catholic Nobles and Lords in Hungary, all eyes turned to Ferdinand II and how he would react. Even if Ferdinand II chose for a moderate option, then his standing with the Hungarians would rapidly collapse, and this forced the new Emperor into a tight spot. He could easily commit himself to the second and first demands, as they were easy enough to conduct, however the third demand was not possible, as it would mean that Ferdinand II would have to agree that his appointments were in question. The last demand was also impossible, as it would make him seem like he was favoring the Bohemian nobles over the Hungarian nobles, when it was clearly the time of the Diet of Hungary to vote him in as King of Hungary. He rejected the third and fourth demands but sent a letter back to Prague stating that he would be amenable to negotiating the first and second demands.

1624450570792.png

Second Defenestration of Prague

In the eyes of the Bohemians, this was the last straw. They began to plot, and on the 19th of January, 1615 amidst the burning cold of winter, Count Thurn gathered 200 men with the support of most of the Bohemian Estates and had Martinic and Slavata captured and then thrown out of their windows, in what became known as the Second Defenestration of Prague. Martinic died from the fall of two stories, however Slavata survived, and he immediately rushed to Vienna. In the ensuing chaos, Thurn called the Bohemian Estates and declared that the authority of Ferdinand II over the Kingdom of Bohemia was annulled.

The Estates voted in favor of this annulment and they began to search for a new King. Desperate for protection against the wrath of the Emperor, they turned to the Protestant Union. The Protestant Union as a group wasn’t willing to enter the growing conflict, but several members of the margraves, and duchies were willing to aid the Bohemians. The biggest of these allies was Christian I of Anhalt and Frederick V of the Palatinate. Frederick V was initially the favored candidate of the Bohemians, however the Bohemians were also looking for a stable succession in mind, so they turned their eyes to Christian of Anhalt, who was the teacher of Frederick V and who had already given birth to an heir who would be able to make sure that a stable succession was inherited in Bohemia.

1624450600694.png

Kristian I of Bohemia

Christian I of Anhalt-Bernburg was thus chosen as the elected King of Bohemia. Christian I accepted this offer, and he was crowned in Prague as Kristian I of Bohemia. This sent shockwaves throughout Europe, as it made conflict in the Holy Roman Empire almost inevitable at that point. It also alienated a lot of the Protestant Union, with the Margrave of Brandenburg writing to Prague, “Who gave you the right to abandon kings?”

Nonetheless, with Frederick V promising the aid of the Palatinate to Kristian I, alongside several other powers such as Silesia and Savoy, this conflict was bound to become an international war. As Kristian I was declared King of Bohemia on the 28th of April, 1615, both sides, Imperial and Protestant began to prepare for war as Europe watched, avidly interested in the coming conflict.

This would be the beginning of the 20 Years War.”

1624450625297.png

The scene for the Twenty Years War......was set.

The Union of Crowns by Robert Willian Johnson

“The birth of the firstborn of King Henry I of Britannia was a much celebrated event in the Kingdom of Great Britannia. A daughter had been born to Henry I and Maria Eleonora, who was named Anne in the memory of Henry I’s late mother. Henry I was a popular monarch, and the birth of his daughter was much celebrated. Also, the reign of Elizabeth I was still in the minds of many Englishmen, and the prospect of having a new Queen wasn’t a foreign one to them as it was to the Scots.

1624451248946.png

Princess Anne of Britannia

But immediately after the birth of Princess Anne on the 21st of March, 1615, news arrived from Europe bringing dire news. Europe was sliding into war. The revolt of the Bohemians against the authority of the Holy Roman Emperor was unprecedented and the crowning of Kristian I was even more concerning. Of course, young and hot blooded Henry I was interested in the events of Europe, and fiercely Protestant and fiercely a member of the Church of Britain, he argued in front of the British Governmental Council, that the British needed to aid their ‘religious compatriots on the continent’.

This was ignored by the Council. They told their young impressionable monarch that war with the Habsburg Monarchy only a decade after making peace with the Spanish was an impossibility. There was a high chance that Spain would join the war if Britain entered the war too, and that would simply turn the tide in favor of the Catholics in the mainland. Britain also had too small of a force to be sent to the continent to fight on land. On naval terms, the Spanish Netherlands also threatened the English Channel, and it would have been ill advised for Britain to enter the war with such a dagger at Britain’s heart.

Henry I was outraged. He demanded that the government decide that some kind of aid be provided to the Protestant Cause. His wording allowed the government to use a loophole. They stood firm in their demand that they would not support direct participation, but allowed English and Scottish mercenary companies to enlist in the fighting in the continent, and also sent small amounts of muskets, ammunition and supplies such as clothing and boots to the Bohemians. This made Henry I’s anger dissipate, though he was still irritated by the fact that the war he wanted was not going to be forthcoming.

1624451311117.png

Members of the so called Trained Bands in the early 1600s

He caught onto the fact that the Councilors were stressing the fact that the British didn’t have an adequate army that would see them capable of fighting properly on the continent. Henry I decided that with the aid of his allies, he would make such an army possible. Established in 1572, the land based system of the British military relied on Trained Bands, which were basically county militias. The weakness of this inefficient system was that the militiamen of these bands refused most of the time, to serve beyond the borders of their counties, and the efficiency of these troops were often in doubt due to their part time service in the military only.

Henry I wanted to look for examples of a proper military system and found from the Swedish Ambassador that Gustavus Adolphus II, King of Sweden and his brother in law, was creating a very interesting strategy of military development in Sweden. The system of Church Conscription used by Gustav II was extremely useful in gaining proper suitable men for the military and increasing morale. So, using the personal wealth of the Royal Family, the King began to raise what he called ‘The New Army’. Church conscription for men willing to serve their monarch was instituted all over the British isles, and many came in droves to support their popular monarch, and the Parliament and Council watched in slight fear as their monarch raised a force of 5,000 men, with around 3400 infantrymen and 1600 cavalrymen. Divided into five regiments, these forces were rigorously trained, and were full time soldiers with proper pay coming from the coffers of the Stuart Family.

1624451350726.png

Conscription for the New Army

The benefits of having a proper national force instead of the old idea of mercenaries plus local bands was not there for all to see, and the parliament and council, after being convinced that their young king wasn’t going to conduct a coup, was skeptical of the claims of their young monarch that a more trained army that was permanently raised would be effective in times of war. Nonetheless, Lord Salisbury, ever the diplomatic politician raised enough arguments in favor of the King, that parliament agreed to raise and maintain a proper army of 8,000 soldiers, with 6,000 footmen and 2,000 cavalry troops. Along with the forces of Gustav II in Sweden, the national forces of the New Army in Britain would prove to be the foundation of the modern national armed forces throughout Military History.”

From The Anglo-Moroccan Alliance: the Alliance That Endures by Amira Alami

“Abu Maali had been receiving English aid to reconquer Morocco from his wayward brother since 1608, and in 1615, after seven years of great conflict, he managed to gain the upper hand that he needed. In the decisive Battle of Meknes, the Moroccan forces under the command of Abu Maali, aided by 100 Scots, Irish and English soldiers and mercenaries, defeated the forces of Sidi al-Ayachi. Al-Ayachi’s capital of Fes was then besieged for a week until on the 17th of May, 1615, the city surrendered, and Al-Ayachi fled to the country into Algeria. With his northern front covered Abu Maalu turned his attention to the south, and attacked the forces of Ahmed Ibn Abi Mahalli in the south and defeated him in the decisive Battle of M’Zouda which saw the southern warlord of Morocco defeated by the Moroccan forces loyal to Abu Maali. With Morocco reunited after years of civil war, the country was whole again. In Rabat, he was crowned Sultan of Morocco on the 5th of June, 1615 once again, reaffirming the power of the Saadi Dynasty in Morocco once more.

1624451387939.png

Zidan Abu Maali, the Reunifier of Morocco

With Morocco united, he turned his attention to the 100 or so mercenaries from Britain that were in his command. He graciously sent a letter to Henry I thanking Britain for their aid in the Saadi War of Reunification, and sent Moroccan ships to transport the mercenaries free of cost back to Britain. New ambassadors were exchanged as well.

In secret though, Henry I began to intrigue with the Moroccans. As tensions in Europe heightened over the Bohemian Issue, Henry I was told that any attempt from Britain to intervene would lead to Spain joining the war as well. To counter this, Henry I asked Abu Maali whether or not Morocco would be able to attack Spain in the span of a few years time. In his correspondence to Henry I, Abu Maali wrote back stating that it would take him two years to recover from the financial destruction of the civil war, and to gather up more loyalty in the country to prepare for an invasion of the Spanish holdings in Northern Morocco. He also asked for British naval support in any war against the Spanish. Henry I accepted this demand and promised British naval support in the Atlantic and Mediterranean against the Spaniards when Morocco entered the war.

After agreeing to this secret intrigue with the British monarch, Abu Maali set about to reconstruct his realm. Veteran economists from the reign of his father, Samuel Pallache, despite his Jewish heritage, was made the economic minister of the treasury. Pallache, under the guidance and supervision of his sovereign began to construct new villages for displaced populations from the war, and new trading routes between Britain and Morocco and the British colonies were established too to increase the productivity of Moroccan trade and to enrich Moroccan coffers.

Former supporters of the various warlords were granted amnesty by decree of Abu Maali to ensure domestic stability as well. The Expulsion of the Moriscos in 1609 by the Spaniards also gave Abu Maali a great opportunity. Due to the political instability of Morocco, a lot of them had immigrated to Algeria and Tunis instead, however with political stability returning to Morocco he opened the gates of Morocco to the Moriscos, gaining a larger population base for the Kingdom and also a base of strong loyalists for him to call upon in case a new warlord decided to be uppity again.

1624451442722.png

The port of Guet Ndar in the early 1600s.

He was also expansionist like his father. The King of Waalo, a constituent subnational kingdom of the Kingdom of Jolof, Beur Tyaaka Loggar had stopped paying tribute to the Moroccan Sultan after the implosion of civil war in Morocco. Using this as pretext, Abu Maali sent a fleet with 2000 soldiers under the command of Admiral Abu Marwan to the gate of the Senegal River on the city of Guet Ndar [1]. There, Abu Marwan demanded that the King of Waalo submit to the Sultan of Morocco however the King, feeling cocky due to hearing false reports of war still raging on in Morocco said no. Abu Marwan took the port, and fortified it, and claimed the city in the name of Abu Maali. Despite attempts by the Waalo tribes and militias to retake the city, the Moroccans held out and the mouth of the Senegal River fell to the Moroccans in late 1615 AD. This was vital, as it meant that the trade passing through the Senegal River, which was vital, was now under the command of the Moroccans. This would enrich Abu Maali even more and allow him to rebuild Morocco at a faster pace.

This would be the beginning of the Moroccan Resurgence.”

[1] – Saint Louis’s old African name.