Come on guys, don't be shy. Tell us your opinion!

:confused::confused: Should Syavush get baptized or what ? :confused::confused:

I think not. There is so much interesting potential (imo) in a Dharmic middle east. If the Turks for instance manage to take Constantinople, the history of that occupation and the establishment of a Turkish Culture so much further removed to Christianity than Islam was could be remarkable.

And imagine the enlightenment in such a timeline. Often there was minor lip service to Buddhist ideas in the east; Schopenhauer in favour and Nietzsche opposed, but both using "idealised" stories of the religion, as opposed to this tl where Buddhist and Dharmic literature in general would be readily accessible.

Perhaps it would make more sense to indulge the Christians and overtime become a Christian middle east, but a Dharmic middle east from a narrative perspective would be incredible.

fi11222

Banned
I think not. There is so much interesting potential (imo) in a Dharmic middle east. If the Turks for instance manage to take Constantinople, the history of that occupation and the establishment of a Turkish Culture so much further removed to Christianity than Islam was could be remarkable.

And imagine the enlightenment in such a timeline. Often there was minor lip service to Buddhist ideas in the east; Schopenhauer in favour and Nietzsche opposed, but both using "idealised" stories of the religion, as opposed to this tl where Buddhist and Dharmic literature in general would be readily accessible.

Perhaps it would make more sense to indulge the Christians and overtime become a Christian middle east, but a Dharmic middle east from a narrative perspective would be incredible.
Personal preference over historical credibility ... The bane of AH.

Alas, alas. :(

Personal preference over historical credibility ... The bane of AH.

Alas, alas. :(
I have no problem with it being historically credible (although I don't think it has to be separate in this instance... the butterflies have long flown by now). I think in many ways this is a good POD spot that a Dharmic or Abrahamic path could be just as credible.

Note for instance, I think we all accept that controlling Egypt would be far easier under an Abrahamic path and yet leaders don't always make decisions in their best interest.

fi11222

Banned
I have no problem with it being historically credible (although I don't think it has to be separate in this instance... the butterflies have long flown by now).
I am not sure what you mean. But do you think the religious makeup of Egypt has changed that much? It is certainly as Christian and Monophysite as ever.

I think in many ways this is a good POD spot that a Dharmic or Abrahamic path could be just as credible.
I am not saying that Buddhism cannot penetrate the Middle East, and even eventually conquer it. But this is Egypt and Palestine and they have been held by the Eftal for just a few years. I have nothing against a Dharmic Middle East but I believe that a full on Dharmic-wank would be disappointing.

Note for instance, I think we all accept that controlling Egypt would be far easier under an Abrahamic path and yet leaders don't always make decisions in their best interest.
Indeed. If Syavush does not choose baptism, it will be difficult to keep him on the throne lest he savages Egypt with endless plunder (like his father did with Syria) and turns it into a wasteland.

I am not sure what you mean. But do you think the religious makeup of Egypt has changed that much? It is certainly as Christian and Monophysite as ever.
I am talking about the lands of the Eftal as a whole. Converting to secure 1 region isn't necessarily guaranteed.

I am not saying that Buddhism cannot penetrate the Middle East, and even eventually conquer it. But this is Egypt and Palestine and they have been held by the Eftal for just a few years. I have nothing against a Dharmic Middle East but I believe that a full on Dharmic-wank would be disappointing.
Ah I think here is where the confusion stems. I was not by any means suggesting that Buddhism/Dharmic religions are going to penetrate well everywhere, but that we are still at a time where Eftal Kings could choose to favour Dharmic religions, even to the point of it being a potentially bad idea.

Indeed. If Syavush does not choose baptism, it will be difficult to keep him on the throne lest he savages Egypt with endless plunder (like his father did with Syria) and turns it into a wasteland.
And this is where Lobster can be creative. That isn't a good option, but it is one a king could take (and in story has done).

fi11222

Banned
I am talking about the lands of the Eftal as a whole. Converting to secure 1 region isn't necessarily guaranteed.
Yes but the point is that Syavush precisely does not control the whole Middle East but only Egypt and Palestine + parts of Syria (which are already devastated by decades of war and plunder). The rest of the Middle East is in the hand of other rulers, some Eftal, some not.

So the question is: does it make sens for him to convert given those conditions?

If he did control everything from the Nile to the Indus, as the early Caliphs did, of course, the answer would not be the same.

Yes but the point is that Syavush precisely does not control the whole Middle East but only Egypt and Palestine + parts of Syria (which are already devastated by decades of war and plunder). The rest of the Middle East is in the hand of other rulers, some Eftal, some not.

So the question is: does it make sens for him to convert given those conditions?

If he did control everything from the Nile to the Indus, as the early Caliphs did, of course, the answer would not be the same.

...Ok I may need to reread the last few chapters further outside of just before sleeping. I was under the impression that he ruled more.

Under those conditions, I agree it does make more sense for him to convert. Not necessarily that he would, but he would be stupid not to do so.

Syavush is only the Shah of the "western" Eftal, a group that are nominally subjects of the "eastern" Eftal but in practice have been independent actors for a very long time now, paying a token tribute back to Susa.

Syavush does control more - a portion of Arabia (at least nominally), Osrhoene, Syria, and Cilicia. I can do up a map. The northern part of his territory is also relatively flush with Eftal, and has been for a while, which mitigates to a degree the damage done by decades of back-and-forth war. The Eftal and Arabs make up the key parts of his manpower base and are the "elite" so to speak. The Arabs are a mix of pagans and Nestorian Christians, the Eftal are mostly pagan with some Buddhists, Manichaeans and Nestorians as well. The "subject" part of his population are Orthodox and Monophysite.

I guess what I can't see is how he'd avoid pissing somebody off by being baptized to any given faith. But he'll probably still have to do it in the long run. Especially given that the Eftal pagans are particularly tolerant.

Last edited:

fi11222

Banned
I guess what I can't see is how he'd avoid pissing somebody off by being baptized to any given faith.
Christianity is the only exclusive Faith, except maybe for Zoroastrianism which, at this point, does not seem to have much influence in the Western lands that Syavush controls.

Therefore, opting fot baptism should not have any major adverse effect upon anyone else. This is basically what Constantine did. He did not outlaw paganism but simply declared himself Christian. It is only much later that Constantine's sucessors started to take a more aggressive line towards the former cults. For a Buddhist, a Pagan or even a Manichaean Eftal or Arab, there is no reason to be much antagonised by an outward declaration of Christianity. All these Faith are synchretistic and have therefore no trouble integrating Christianity into their worldview. This is obviously true of Manichaeism but is also attested for Mesopotamian paganism in late Sassanian times. Several inscriptions on lead tablets have been found near Ctesiphon in which supplicants invoke side by side Jesus, Mithra and Nabu (an old Babylonian god) or another similar combination. For Buddhism, reincarnation makes all sort of things possible, like saying that Jesus is a past reincarnation of Buddha, for example.

Therefore, in the short term (one generation) there is zero downside for Syavush if he converts, and much potential benefit. In the longer term, the question then becomes whether or not Christianity will be able to eliminate the other religions, which it will not doubt attempt to do as this is in its DNA. Given the early history of Islam, it seems that such an outcome is not a foregone conclusion. There is an increasingly large body of research which claims that the early Caliphs were in fact (more or less heretical) Christians and that "Islam" did not exist at the time of conquest but was later constructed over the course of the first 2 centuries of Caliphal rule. According to this view, the story of the prophet Muhammad was then retrojected into the past to justify the existence of the new religion and give it legitimacy vis a vis Christianity.

If we follow a similar line of reasoning, we could have an initially "Christian" Eftal regime in Egypt which then serves as a crucible for the emergence of a new religion based on the various religious currents now present in the area it controls.

Ride Never Stops
The Ride Never Stops - the Eastern Mediterranean aflame

The Avar Khagans had, within a few generations, created an expansive state. From central Pannonia their raiders ranged across the Danube basin and into Italy. The Avar warriors formed a martial aristocracy maintained by labor of Slavic and Germanic client tribes - and increasingly co-opted Roman estates. Material evidence suggests a culture which had much in common with those of Iranic peoples such as the Sahu, but also incorporated many Turkic, Slavic, and Roman elements. Documents found from the era indicate the Avar venerated many Turkic deities, chief among them Tengri.

The Avar in many ways were becoming victims of their own successes. Victory after victory had brought them a sprawling empire, but much of it was unsuitable to their nomadic raiding lifestyle. Accommodating the Slavic and Germanic tribal aristocracy into their own armies provided additional manpower, but the system was fragile. Their conquests in northern Italy and Illyria had brought vast populations loosely under their control, and this uneasy state of affairs was complicated by the migration of Slavic tribes such as the Abodrites and Sagudati into the Po Valley, and the settling of the Hrvati and Smolyani in Dalmatia. Much like their Roman rivals, the Avar were forced to make accommodations with the far more numerous by internally divided Slavs, but because of the lack of cohesion amongst the multitude of tribes, the Avars were able to more often than not control these migrations.

The Bulgars faced similar concerns, but were more able to handle them. Khagan Sulabi ruled a vast, territory whose original inhabitants were largely replaced with Slavs. Further, the longer history of cooperation between the Bulgars and their subject peoples allowed cultural synthesis to begin. Perun and Tangra/Tengri grew to be seen as two sides of a similar coin, and this religious fusion would be promoted by the ruling elite. The Roman-style bureaucracy and monumental architecture that would characterize the later Bulgarian Empire were still in their infancy, but both had their origins in this time. Like the early Eftal, adopting the customs and techniques of settled peoples allowed an enduring society to develop. Gradual linguistic shifts had also begun to homogenize the Slavic dialects into a single language which made use of extensive Hunnic and Greek loanwords. In time this language would also become the language of the elite.

Unlike the Avars, the Bulgars were not overstretched. The occasional raid southwards from tribes at the periphery of the Xasar-Sahu proved the primary concern, and these were also not an existential threat to what was overall a stable society. The Avar could by and large be bought off with ease, and the Romans under Constantine were wary of provoking their neighbor to the north - with good reason. Further, Constantine's ambitions, after his conquest of the ruin that was Greece, had shifted to internal reform (desperately need) and finally, by 620, to the relatively more valuable Southeast.

Within Syavush's regime, Egypt remained a thorn in his side. While rebellion within Egypt proper was generally difficult, owing to the lack of viable places for rebels retreat into, the country was still vast and prone to riots. In 627, Syavush was baptized into the Monophysite faith at the urging of the aging Narsai ben Apram, who himself received a deathbed baptism into the faith. While this was disappointing to the Nestorians among the Eftal and Arab armies, and worrying to the Jewish population (who had enjoyed undreamt of privileges under the Eftal, who delighted in playing the local populations against each other) it seems to have been almost entirely a political move. Apart from a few close converts, few other Eftal converted, and Syavush paid at mostly lip-service to the new religion.

What conversion did bring him, however, was the cooperation of the Egyptian Church. The incidence of rioting dropped dramatically, and the Church very quickly began to see the Eftal not merely as pagan invaders but rather as a people who might be amenable to mass conversion. They would be somewhat disappointed when their victory at converting the Shah did not immediately result in a groundswell of support for Monophysitism amongst the ruling elite.

Meanwhile, Constantine prepared for an invasion of the western Eftal. The Romans had been whipped into a frenzy over the pagans and heretics that occupied Jerusalem, and their army was renewed, battle-tested in Greece, and augmented by a large force of Alan mercenaries - swift horsemen intended to blunt the traditional Eftal superiority in cavalry. Unlike in previous campaigns, there also came the promise of plunder - Emesa was said to be a city of incredible (stolen) wealth, and Constantine swore not to rest until Jerusalem, much farther south, was taken.

In the spring of 630, the invasion began, crossing through Cilicia almost uncontested. The Eftal harassed the baggage in Flat Cilicia, slowing its advance and allowing the Eftal to gather a large army, under the command of Koshnavash, Syavush's childhood friend. The Shah himself spent critical weeks raising additional troops from among the Egyptians and Arabs before marching north.

Koshnavash however, was reckless, and sought to interdict the Romans before they crossed the Syrian Gates. His motivations were unclear. The Romans decisively outnumbered his force, and ultimately cooler heads prevailed. The abortive Battle of the Syrian Gates had few casualties except among the Roman vanguard, but Eftal morale plummeted and the myth of their invincibility, built up by Heshana's long history of victories, was shattered.

Syavush, on his arrival, was furious. He had nearly doubled the size of the forces available to him, and critically he had brought a large infantry contingent, evening the odds. Meanwhile, Constantine swept south, besieging Antioch. Antioch was a largely depopulated city, a shell of its former glory, but it would make an excellent base of operations. However, Constantine's initial attacks proved futile to say the least - the garrison, bolstered by a contingent of zealous Jewish soldiers who had been dispatched just in time, refused to surrender.

For several months, Syavush would shadow the siege, endeavoring to cut the enemy's supply lines with vicious raids and deny them forage. The Alans and other Roman auxiliaries fought several small skirmishes but came off worse, and Constantine, becoming desperate, attempted to offer pitched battle. When Syavush failed to take the bait, he redoubled his efforts to gain entry to the city, and in late August as rationing became severe he finally achieved his goal at the cost of very heavy casualties, only to find himself now trapped in a city without adequate food reserves. The men were quickly reduced to eating their own horses, and starvation was not far off.

The Eftal bided their time, and when they attacked the walls themselves, it was with waves of Egyptian troops. They wore down the Romans, until, in an act of savage desperation, Constantine sallied out at dawn, personally leading the heaviest Roman cavalry. The act caught the Eftal off-guard, and the desperate Romans fought their way through to the Eftal camp, which they plundered greedily for provisions.

Constantine hugged the coast as he advanced southward, denying the Eftal another chance to cut off his lines of supply - the Roman navy had easily brushed aside the small Eftal fleet, and now provisioned their countrymen with ease. He avoided the temptation to strike into Osrhoene, where the Eftal were numerous and well-prepared, and instead marched south, finding loyalists and coreligionists willing oftentimes to yield cities without a fight. Another battle was fought near the coastal city of Laodikeia, and here the Eftal failed again, but both sides were exhausted. The same year, Hujr ibn Wa'il died, and with his death, the outlook seemed even more grim. Constantine settled in to Laodikeia to await reinforcements, and the Eftal retreated to Emesa to lick their wounds.

Syavush's court was suffering a great crisis of confidence. His companions, who he trusted above all others, spoke freely. They told him that his failure lay in his refusal to venerate the more martial Eftal Gods. The God of Christ and the Jews was one among many, and awarding him even the pretense of exclusivity was a foolish mistake. The Egyptians made unreliable soldiers, and the Jews were too few in number. The entire Egyptian venture was a mistake - it had overstretched them. Finally, when they saw their Shah slip into a depression, Koshnavash advocated petitioning the Shah of Shahs for assistance. Shahriyar would come - technically was not Syavush his tributary?

A deal was struck. The ambitious Shah of the eastern Eftal was advised by Mihiradata to radically alter the terms of their treaty, increasing the tribute immensely. But in secret he had little interest in maintaining the treaty at all. Syavush was a legacy of an era when the Eftal were divided, and thus personally distasteful to a man who saw himself as the sole ruler of all the Eftal.

In 631, the commander-and-chief of the Eastern Eftal armies, Artavazda, lead a force some eighty thousand strong through Syria. He retook Antioch with ease, his veteran troops overrunning a small garrison before reinforcements could arrive. Artavazda sent a small but elite contingent north under Mihiradata, retaking Cilicia and striking out into Anatolia towards Ikonion while the main body of his army descended on Laodikeia, where Constantine made the bold decision to press on. His troops were hardened by a year of suffering and starvation, and though he was heavily outnumbered, even his reinforcements were veterans, stripped from garrisons in Greece.

Artavazda met up with Syavush near Apameia, and the two men took an instant dislike to each other. Mihiradata, an elder and more conciliatory figure, was in the north, raiding an Anatolia which had only just begun to recover from the brutality of the previous century. Artavazda had little regard for Syavush, feeling it necessary that he be placed in overall command, and Syavush refused to give way on account of his rank. The battle of personalities ensured relatively little would be done until Constantine began to march inland towards Emesa.

When news reached Artavazda, he ordered his forces to sweep west and intercept the Roman army. Syavush stubbornly refused to go along, arguing that a defense of the rugged terrain around Emesa was a better tactical decision. And yet, In some anonymous valley lost to history, a numerically superior Eftal force put the Roman army to rout. Constantine himself barely escaped with his life.

This battle, historically, has been considered something of a paradox, and has often been considered a tale inflated by Eftal propaganda. Contemporary Romans seem to have regarded it as a minor setback. Despite the initial rout, the elite core of Constantine's army remained intact and retreated in good order back to Laodikeia, where it was then shipped back to Asia Minor. On his return, the Emperor found that a usurper, a general named Nikephoros, had proclaimed himself Emperor and taken Constantinople, mistakenly thinking Constantine to have died in battle against the Eftal. Despite the imminent threat of Mihiradata's forces in Asia, the Emperor was forced to fight for his throne.

This circumstance has more to do with the increasing illegitimacy of the Roman Emperors than anything else. From the reign of Kallinikos onwards, no Emperor in Constantinople had lived a peaceful life, and most had to seize power with some mixture of force and bribes. Those who did not were nevertheless suspicious of the military beneath them - in these turbulent times it was Generals with provincial armies who posed the greatest threat. The trends of the Late Western Empire in many ways repeated themselves, with the critical exception that Emperors were expected to be first and foremost military leaders, and thus the candidates for their successors themselves had to have equivalent military credentials or risk being viewed as weak.

The Eftal failed to capitalize overmuch on their victory. Artavazda celebrated his victory with a triumphal ceremony organized in Emesa, but behind the scenes tensions were at a fever pitch. Artavazda was forced to consider Shahriyar's true instructions - to overthrow Syavush's monarchy and reorganize it along the lines of the rest of the Empire. Many of the Eftal in Osrhoene and Syria would even be amenable to such a change after Syavush's poor performance in battle, and during the festivities would be the ideal time to engineer such a covert betrayal.

At the same time, there were many risks. Currently, the Roman Empire lay wide open. Artavazda believed he could but reach out and seize Anatolia away. The Romans were crippled and in chaos, their momentary resurgence seemingly nipped in the bud - but they could recover - their state was nothing if not resilient. He might never get such a chance again... to be the conqueror of the Roman Empire. And yet if he waited, Syavush, who was clever and adept at the game of politics, might well improve his position and prove impossible to dislodge.

In 631, sitting in the golden palace of Emesa, sipping Syrian wine, Artavazda had to make a decision which would change history.

[If you believe in some sort of "great man" theory of history, that is. But this makes a sort of PoD within the broader story. I imagine if Alt-History develops in this timeline, loads of people will wonder what might have happened if he makes the opposite choice.

Also, I don't really buy that particular theory about Islam, fi11222. That said, it seems plausible that something like what you described might happen here. Maybe.

Next post will cover Arabian developments and probably answer the cliffhanger I've left.

Also, Count Peter, not to spoil anything, but I rather agree that the endurance of dharmic religions in the Middle East is a cool concept, and one that I intend to explore for a good while yet. But I have no idea if they'll go as far as say, Constantinople. That will take time and a lot more planning than I've currently done.]

Last edited:
It now seems that the Shah now regards Syavush as dangerous a threat to the long term stability of the Eftal Empire as the Romans. If Artavazda does go for Rome, even with Constantinople in chaos again, I still doubt that they would be able to pull off the conquest of Rome, for fear of Syavush. In fact, I think it might not be out of the realm of possibility for Syavush to come to a separate understanding with Rome, as he might see them as a buffer against Artavazda.

In any case, I am at the edge of my seat.

Also, Count Peter, not to spoil anything, but I rather agree that the endurance of dharmic religions in the Middle East is a cool concept, and one that I intend to explore for a good while yet. But I have no idea if they'll go as far as say, Constantinople. That will take time and a lot more planning than I've currently done.]

That's cool. Would I be correct in thinking that the Turks are more likely to be Dharmic? If so they won't neccesarily have the same purpose in doing something like attacking Constantinople, but their potential spread will be interesting nonetheless.

fi11222

Banned
In 627, Syavush was baptized into the Monophysite faith at the urging of the aging Narsai ben Apram, who himself received a deathbed baptism into the faith.
Cool! I now have a name. I am Narsai ben Apram. :cool: Unfortunaltely I am dead. :eek:

But, this being a Dharmic-friendly TL, I can be ressurected, yes ? :D

Regarding other people like Nestorians being disappointed by Syavush's conversion, the way to go, I believe, is to have a council, in which Syavush can try to engineer a rapprochement. It is true that Nestorians and Monophysites do not have the same christological positions but these are relatively superficicial and can be changed if politics dictates it. What unites Nestorians and Monophysites is their shared hatred of Constantinople and their common roots in a Syriac-speaking, i.e. more "semitic", Christianity.

Why not have a council in Jerusalem ? It would really be awesome.

@Bmao - good to hear, and that actually gave me a bit of inspiration for a slight edit to the next post!

@Count Peter - the Turks in this timeline, as in OTL, are mostly Buddhist with a good bit of their native shamanism incorporated. So if the overrun the Eftal (which is plausible at some point) we won't see too many dramatic changes in religious policy.

@fi11222 - well, he has been a figure in the history since page 4 or 3, and was already of advanced age. Heshana's original advisor, he was the one who transformed the Heshana's state into an actual state and not just a collection of bandits.

I dunno about Dharma-friendly, but as I've I'm definitely trying to avoid a "wank" in any particular direction. You could be reborn, but once you have proof of reincarnation, what's the point in arguing for Christianity?

Syavush would likely love to do something like that. Shahriyar, if he gained control in the west would hate to do something like that - the last thing he'd want to do is unite two sizable minorities into an even bigger one. It all depends who comes out in control.

Emesa
Emesa, 631 CE

Artavazda, after making his decision, immediately sprung into action. Employing the talents of a local bureaucrat, he created forged correspondence between Syavush and the Emperor Constantine, correspondence which discussed a plan to unify against the greater threat of Shah Shahriyar. In the correspondence, Syavush clearly had designs on becoming ruler of all the Eftal, and in return would offer to restore a large portion of the original Roman Empire to Constantine. Despite the exact terms of the agreement being blatantly absurd, and more a testimony to Shahriyar's fears than anything else, it was all the phony justification Artavazda needed.

Before his soldiers were to depart and strike at Rome, before a ceremonial dinner to be held in his honor, Artavazda's companions and a group of elite infantry stormed the palace, dispatching the royal guards. Syavush attempted to organize his companions to escape, pre-emptively sending away both his wife, Hafsa, and his young son, Heshana. If he could make it to his army and rally them, he might yet retain the city and defeat Artavazda.

But the Eftal moved too quickly. More prominent officers within their army had been informed of the plan, and as the general signal went up, they attacked, besieging the royal barracks and disarming those soldiers encamped with them, outside the city walls. There was little resistance on either front. Those soldiers in the barracks opted to negotiate with their besiegers, avoiding bloodshed, while the main camp was merely taken by surprise. A large contingent of Arab cavalry fought their way free of the camp, and isolated units sometimes chose to fight rather than surrender, but these isolated units were generally quickly dispatched.

Meanwhile, in the palace, Syavush's men fought back viciously, but were outnumbered. Eftal troops were swarming the streets. Hafsa and young Heshana managed to escape through a servant's passage and make it out of the city with a bundle of royal insignia and three of Syavush's companions, including Koshnavash. Syavush, however, would not be so lucky. After escaping the palace in relatively flimsy disguise he and a group of his men made it three blocks to the market district, where a group of Eftal soldiers identified him. They attacked the Shah and wounded him badly, and as the Shah and his men attempted to flee, the Eftal soldiers signaled loudly, drawing the attention of many nearby units. Unable to escape and unwilling to be captured or to die at the hands of Artavazda, Syavush ordered one of his companions to kill him and then gave them permission to surrender.

However, this swift and relatively bloodless victory was not complete. Many were loyal to the memory of Heshana, who forged a kingdom out of nothing. Many of the Eftal and Arab soldiers had ridden with Heshana in battle, and though the northern tribal Eftal were assuaged by Shahriyar's giving of the satrapies of Syria and Osrhoene to local tribal patriarchs, the Arabs knew well that in such a vast Empire, their contributions were less necessary. They and a small faction of the Eftal chose to rally around the child Heshana. Further, the Egyptians knew well that Shahriyar would not adopt their religion - again they would have to languish under a heathen. They negotiated the baptism of young Heshana, and the surviving veterans of Paulos' rebellion in 627 were rallied to help train a new Egyptian army.

Constantinople, 631-633

Constantine was trapped between a rock and a hard place. Much of Greece had betrayed him, crowning a commander he had personally appointed, Nikephoros, to be Basileus after his presumed death. While they had assumed it to be his will, Nikephoros could no longer back down without at the least being consigned to a monastery. Adding insult to injury, Nikephoros offered Constantine a similar fate - if he surrendered, Nikephoros would be merciful.

With Mihiradata closing in, Constantine made a bold decision. He turned back East, rallying additional Alan mercenaries to his cause, and then, his army restored to full strength, he met with Mihiradata. Realizing he was outnumbered, and having recently heard that Artavazda was preoccupied with his coup, Mihiradata proposed a peace treaty wherein the Romans agreed to pay a moderate indemnity and recognize Shahriyar's right to all of Syavush's territory - in exchange for a five year truce and a recognition of the current borders. Shahriyar would later confirm this arrangement, ensuring a period of peace which would benefit both sides.

Constantine was now free to move west, and he did. Using his navy, he besieged Constantinople by both land and sea. The subsequent year he would mount several assaults along the section of wall adjacent to the Golden Horn, where he judged the defenses to be weakest. But Nikephoros had extensive food reserves, and sufficient forces to easily repulse the assault. The worst blow, however, came when Nikephoros' small navy, using a flammable liquid compound which could be bottled and hurled by catapult to great effect, broke the naval siege. "Usurper's Fire" as it came to be known made the siege all but untenable, and Constantine considered surrender.

As the year progressed, the Bulgarians seized the opportunity to renew their raiding into the Roman-held Balkans. Finding them stripped of their garrisons, the raids quickly became outright conquest. Cities such as Thessaloniki, which held out against the Lombards on-and-off for decades fell outright. A group of Nikephoros' officers, seeing the existential threat, and realizing their Emperor had put personal ambition ahead of the Empire's survival, opened the gates of Constantinople, and Constantine's vengeful soldiers took delight in torturing the usurper to death. But the Balkans were again lost, and before long, a Bulgarian army was outside the gates of Constantinople.

Arabia - the religious experiment of the seventh century

With the increase of overland trade and the beginnings of the seventh century religious experiment in Arabia, one city in particular must stand out from the others: Al-Ta'if, home of the powerful and mercantile Banu Thaqif, and one of the most important pilgrimage sites in the Arabian peninsula after the fall of Makkah in 624. Cosmopolitan and wealthy, al-Ta'if was the seat of a growing cult to Alilat, a religion which took elements of Arabian paganism and mixed them with the Persian and Indian influences Arab traders brought back from the broader Eftal world. A mysterious religion, emphasizing sunrise prayers, paradise as a metaphor oneness with the divine, and the role of female priests, the cult would gain broader recognition within the Hedjaz. Even though the cult made Alilat chief among gods, its willingness to compromise and recognize other divinities made it palatable to a broad audience. The devotional poetry of early prophetic figures in the religion, notably the prophetess Fadia and her merchant husband Abdulilat would eventually be summarized in a text known as the Suwar.

Meanwhile, in the south, the "religious experiment" tended towards greater Indian influence, merging with the Judaism and monotheistic trends commonplace in that area. Here, Indian missionaries actively traveled and proselytized, leading to such unlikely things as a community of Jain merchants in Aden. While the Jewish population proved largely unwilling to convert with a few notable exceptions, defining their faith in opposition to the pagan Hadhramut who ruled them, the Hadhrami themselves, ever cosmopolitan, eagerly adopted the foreign ideas which came to them. It was among the Hadhrami that the iconoclasm of early Buddhism was preserved, with the Buddha represented by absence.

Among the northern Arabians however, Christianity remained most common, and this Christianity would slowly spread south. Early in the seventh century, the prominent central Arabian tribe of the Banu Tayy converted en masse, and the Arabs who lived near to the Eftal began to convert as well, especially in the aftermath of Syavush's death. Due to the proximity of these tribes to major Christian communities, relative orthodoxy was maintained, and over time these tribes would often integrate their identities with those of the Syraic speaking settled peoples. Certain of these converted tribes, like the Banu Sulaym would war against and raid the caravans of the Banu Thaqif and their Quraysh subjects, and in time be driven north into exile from their traditional homelands, exacerbating the process of assimilation.

These wars however took on a religious connotation, both sides attempting to some degree to insulate and defend themselves from the influences of unbeliever societies. However, these reactionary efforts were rather ineffectual by both sides - the importance of trade allowed ideas to spread like wildfire. The text of the Suwar reached the massive tribe of the Banu Ghatafan by 640, where their young and warlike patriarch, Nu'maan ibn Mundhir al-Sa'ih pledged himself to Alilat and made worship of the goddess the religion of his people. From there, he would launch vicious raids against the "unbeliever" tribes of Jews and Christians, culminating in the sack of Yathrib in 646 and the capture of Tayma' in 647. Nu'maan al-Sa'ih would become one of the principle founders of the religion in its enduring form, laying down elaborate legal codes which afforded additional rights to women, and laid down strict punishments on those who violated the sanctity of priestesses or their "marriages". Taking a legalistic perspective to faith, he codified specifically which gods could be considered "beautiful birds" and "children of Alilat" and which ones were explicitly false tricks and "illusions". This was an authentic, Arabic religion, and its influence on the later history of the peninsula cannot be understated.

[No, this new religion (I'm considering Saihism for a name, your thoughts?) shouldn't be considered an alt-Islam though, but rather a consequence of 200 years of very different influences on Arabic thought and a much-subdued Jewish presence. Anyhow, next up is India, Egypt, and the Bulgar Siege of Constantinople! I apologize that very little got done in this post, but I wanted to answer the cliffhanger and get some of this stuff out of the way, although I've probably raised more questions than answers at this point.]

Deleted member 67076

Well Rome is fucked. Here's to hoping the successors carry on the torch and remove barbarian.

I wouldn't totally count them out yet.

That said, even if the Roman Empire does fall soon, there's literally a Roman ruling Rome (a Rome relatively undamaged by Italian wars) and a Latin-speaking Mediterranean empire in Africa.

If anything, Roman heritage might be more enduring that IOTL, just in rather different places.

Too bad about Syavush. He'd become one of my favorite characters of TTL, but it seems like the state that he and his father created could potentially survive. That could be a backbreaker in the sense that the Western Eftal could be made to break away from the larger Eftal Empire to form a new Egyptian/Eftal/neo-Greco Roman state.

Also, even with the Bulgars at the gates, I doubt that they would actually be able to penetrate the walls and take the city and that Constantinope is in crisis again, I doubt that we are seeing the end of the Roman Empire. They don't have the necessary siege equipment, nor do they have the ships to starve the city and the fact that Constantine can now shift his full attention to the west now that he has peace with the Eftals.

@Bmao I also have a bit of a soft-spot for the Heshanid dynasty. They're the plucky multicultural upstarts, and I like them especially compared to the current Sheskhid dynasty in the east, which have lost a good bit of the original Eftal character.

In any case, Artavazda's betrayal will definitely not be forgiven by those closest to Syavush. Decapitating a kingdom like that is a good way to not be remembered favorably.