Ooooooooooooooooooooh!
It can be assumed that our Buddhist Vikings on the Canary islands will undertake Westward travels across the ocean, too. What exactly is the state of naval development ITTL? But from where they start, it should be rather conceivable that gold-working indigenous people living on pretty tropical islands will soon be visited by seafaring Norse Buddhists from the Canaries :cool::D

Norse naval technology is roughly comparable to OTL. By the eleventh century the Buddhist Vikings of the Canaries (man I love typing that) have some regular trade contacts on the African coast, mostly for the purpose of acquiring timber and small quantities of luxury goods.

In this manner, Norse maritime technology, combined with the legacy of the Savahila contact, is going to eventually inspire an indigenous maritime tradition in Africa. It's also worth noting that the Buddhist Vikings of the Canaries will never have truly huge numbers and will never be more than a distant, isolated colony, so their cultural impact will be somewhat underwhelming, I imagine.

But that's another story for a different update. When the true alt-Columbian exchange begins in earnest, I plan to make a new thread, with a title to be determined. That thread will have something of a different focus.

Excellent update, especially that last part! I wonder what inspired you :p
I am eager to see what comes out of this African maritime tradition. The late tenth century sounds early for a first contact though, what gives? Has TTL's (in)stability inspired earlier explorations, or is it more a throw of the ATL dice? Also, if this colony lasts somewhat longer than OTL Vinland, will the sea of plagues wash over the americas early? While bad in the short term, they would be more inoculated by the time the exchange resumes, and so might be a best-case scenario.

Anyway, do keep on writing, the creativity employed in creating this world feels fresh yet realistic, exactly as I like my alternate history. My only point of critique might be that it seems too optimistic in some parts, but perhaps I am used to the eurocentric gloom of OTL. Keep it up!

Excellent update, especially that last part! I wonder what inspired you :p
I am eager to see what comes out of this African maritime tradition. The late tenth century sounds early for a first contact though, what gives? Has TTL's (in)stability inspired earlier explorations, or is it more a throw of the ATL dice? Also, if this colony lasts somewhat longer than OTL Vinland, will the sea of plagues wash over the americas early? While bad in the short term, they would be more inoculated by the time the exchange resumes, and so might be a best-case scenario.

Anyway, do keep on writing, the creativity employed in creating this world feels fresh yet realistic, exactly as I like my alternate history. My only point of critique might be that it seems too optimistic in some parts, but perhaps I am used to the eurocentric gloom of OTL. Keep it up!

Having the Vinland expeditions be a bit earlier is mostly just a nod to the dice. However, regardless of what happens, the line connecting Alt-Vinland to the broader world is thin and easily snapped by such things as climate shifts and convenience, let alone local cataclysm.

Which parts do you feel are too optimistic?

Glad to see the Franks will continue for now.

The Khirichan have lost their edge. I can't imagine they can hold as much steppe land now as they used to.

I imagine at this point the Sahu may be developing divisions of their own. The ones in the east retain a bit more of the steppe tradition and have been subject to a lot of Turkic influence; meanwhile in the west they will have assimilated a lot of Slavs and are now under the rule of the Xasars (?). Where is the boundary with the Khirichan, the Dneister?

Independent "Konstatikert" doesn't seem long for this world. At this point the city must be in a great state of decay but its symbolic value is very valuable to any of the western powers...

Glad to see the Franks will continue for now.

The Khirichan have lost their edge. I can't imagine they can hold as much steppe land now as they used to.

I imagine at this point the Sahu may be developing divisions of their own. The ones in the east retain a bit more of the steppe tradition and have been subject to a lot of Turkic influence; meanwhile in the west they will have assimilated a lot of Slavs and are now under the rule of the Xasars (?). Where is the boundary with the Khirichan, the Dneister?

Independent "Konstatikert" doesn't seem long for this world. At this point the city must be in a great state of decay but its symbolic value is very valuable to any of the western powers...

Having gotten to the 10th and 11th century, we don't have to worry about the terrible Merovingian succession laws anymore which always divide the Kingdom upon the death of the king, but something that would at least keep the Kingdom together. However, it seems like to me that the Frankish Kingdom is set up to evolve into a giant Holy Roman Empire, where there will continue to be nominal unity, but that there will be a gradual erosion of the Emperor's power in favor of the various dukes who can better manage their own realms, and that they would go to war with each other within the Frankish Kingdom itself with the Emperor having limited power to rein in his vassals.

The British Isles have been sort of a black area, which was fine for the 'Dark Ages' as they didn't involve themselves in continental politics all that much, but perhaps that could change with the 10th and 11th centuries as we really get into the Middle Ages.

What happened with the Khirichan was kind of expected, as nomadic societies always have that struggle when it comes to settling down along with absorbing a large new demographic of people and culture. They'll probably retain their core in Crimea and the Ukraine and continue to remain a going concern, but their biggest rivals in the longer term seem to be the Rus. A new European map delineating political boundaries would be nice.

A new European map is en route, thanks to the tireless efforts of Hobelhouse. Mapmaking isn't really my thing, and I lost my base map a while back when my computer died.

The British Isles will become increasingly important, but with things as they are I don't see them intervening in continental affairs as much as the OTL English did during the real middle ages.

There are massive divisions developing in Sahu culture - but in general the western ones already basically consider themselves Xasar, with Sahu increasingly being the identifier for the Sahu-speaking agriculturalists east of the Dniester. The rest tend to identify more by their nomadic clan group anyways.

Konstantikert is going to enjoy the protection of the Xasar, and despite its numerous collapses and rebirths, it remains a well-situated city and an important trade hub. I don't see it going anywhere, especially when it has such nice defenses. Sure, the Asian cities might dream of retaking it, but they're so divided I doubt they could do it - and they have bigger threats from the east, namely the rapidly expanding Iranshahr.

They'll probably retain their core in Crimea and the Ukraine.

That's probably the least likely area for them to retain control of. This region was historically the playground of Steppe peoples. With the decline of the Khirichan Empire, they will be no position to fend off the next wave of Steppe invaders like the Pechenegs or the Cumans of OTL.

To be fair, in this timeline there's a much larger settled population. While said settled population is generally not capable of fending off steppe peoples, it does change the dynamics somewhat.

And the Khirichan aren't totally knocked out of the fight yet.

To be fair, in this timeline there's a much larger settled population. While said settled population is generally not capable of fending off steppe peoples, it does change the dynamics somewhat.

And the Khirichan aren't totally knocked out of the fight yet.

The lands East of the Prut are pretty much indefensible from an eastern invasion and the mongol invasion of Russia shows that having a large settled population isn't really enough to stop an invasion.

The lands East of the Prut are pretty much indefensible from an eastern invasion and the mongol invasion of Russia shows that having a large settled population isn't really enough to stop an invasion.

I think it's a little more complicated than that, but we can agree to disagree.

Eventually yes, a new wave of nomads will almost certainly knock the Khirichan out of their current prominent position and reduce them to vassal status. However, whatever new wave of nomads is there will also be deeply influenced by the legacy of settled empire begun by the Sahu. In this way there will be a sort of continuity that the OTL polities of the region lacked.

The Pechengs/Bajinak are definitely a strong candidate for the next major steppe empire.

Egypt
Faith and Fanaticism in the early Iranshahr

The Khardi in the early eleventh century found themselves in an uncomfortable position. Most of their population believed, in one way or another, in the message of the Buddha. However, the problem was very much that none could agree on the proper manner in which to do so. Early persecutions of the Nowbahar movement eventually began to give way. The very persecutions which had been so effective at silencing the fanatical mobs of temple looters had given rise to a more insidious, intellectual movement.

Attacking temples of peaceful monks became increasingly unpalatable, especially for the Ifthal, who since the early days of their Empire had generally held religious sites to be inviolate. Even if that custom had begun somewhat cynically, it now very much kept the martial aristocracy of the Iranshahr from uniting behind Mitradharma. This was a dangerous position to be in – the Khardi were thin on the ground outside of their base of power in Mesopotamia, and technically Mitradharma was as much Ifthal as he was one of them. Ultimately, the Padishah was forced to end his persecutions of the Nowbahar.

Fortunately for Shah Mitradharma, few would remember the legacy of his persecutions. Like many conquering heroes, his legacy was one of martial achievements. It would be his children who would inherit the mess he left behind. Anushiruwan, Mitradharma’s son and heir would be remembered largely as a divisive figure. He believed strongly in the polytheist Khardi gods of his mother, and in general his faith was seen as provincial and limited. His advisors urged him to treat with the Nowbahar and visit a temple to Shiva or Ohrmazd, but his attempts to seem multicultural generally seemed insincere instead – a dangerous position for a man at the top of a vast, multiethnic empire. The manner in which the ancient Eftal kings had ruled seemed unlikely to work in the sectarian era they had left in their wake.

Anushiruwan was assassinated in 1014 by a member of an ecstatic sect called the Homihina, a notorious group of ecstatic deity-worshipping Iranian dancers and mystics who found the Shah’s attempts to reach out to the Nowbahar threatening.

The roots of the Homihina stretched back almost to the era the Oadhyan Eftal, but unlike most of their contemporaries they had not been prominent or political. Largely they were small groups of the urban middle-class who gathered in secret to dance and take certain psychoactive drugs. Even the rise of the Nowbahar had not impacted them significantly until 978, when the first anti-Homihina tract was published by a Nowbahar preacher who had once been a member of the cult. Suddenly the Homihina were feared and hated, and the group became militant in response.

The Homihina owed much to the early Mahadevists, and indeed revered Husrava Shah as a martyr whose attempt to restore the world did not make him the prophesized Saosyant but rather a herald who dreamed of bringing the Saosyant to life through pre-emptive struggle. The Khardi Shahs needed to be led to the proper path and used as a tool to create a true universal Empire which the Saosyant could rule over. However, in general their appeal was far more limited than the Mahadevists, since they grew out of a more prosperous era – and as such they remained a violent and isolated sect which by 1020 was pushed almost entirely underground. However, there was something universal in their appeal: since the era of the Eftal, the Iranian people had been subjects, and what was more their attempts to rise up had largely been destroyed by outsiders – Turks and nomads.

Artaxser, Anushiruwan’s son and heir, took power in 1014 after the assassination of his father, and unlike his father he sought to utilize the religious anger and fanaticism that had been a facet of Iranian cultural life ever since the fall of the Eftal Empire. He cast himself as a truly Iranian ruler, and did it in a synthesis of Buddhist and Iranian terms. He would be a Universal Ruler, a Chakravarti King whose reign would bring about true justice.

Despite the political and religious turmoil which had wracked the Aghatsaghids and the early Iranshahr, Mitradharma’s dynasty was militarily strong. Their Ifthal and Turkic mercenaries cared little what propaganda the Khardi used to motivate their own people, and were more than happy to go to war and gain plunder and land. The Khardi still had a vast population of young men who were more than happy to be settled as military garrisons if it meant the same plunder and land. The Nowbahar, meanwhile, were enthused at the prospect of a war against Christians, knowing that true enlightenment could only be spread if idolater states were destroyed, and Christians were the worst sorts of idolaters, because unlike polytheists they didn’t even acknowledge the Buddha.

For the first time in history, a sort of eastern equivalent of the Votivist sentiment existed. Historians have long argued if it was an organic development brought about by internal changes in the culture of ancient Iran, or a development inspired (like the Nowbahar themselves perhaps) by prolonged contact with the West. Either way, for the first time, the Iranshahr would wage a holy war of their own.

Egypt in the Tenth Century

Their target, ironically, was Egypt, a country with whom the Khardi had long enjoyed mutually beneficial relations. The latter Heshanid monarchs were primarily focused on Africa and Arabia, from which the sources of all their wealth flowed. Since the fall of the Padivayanate of Syria in 924, the new Kurdish rulers had largely maintained friendly relations with their neighbors to the southwest, and forbid the Syrian Eftal from raiding into Egypt.

The Heshanid state was becoming increasingly maritime in its focus. It had no illusions about taking Syria from the Eftal in any case, and indeed would have been harmed by damaging the overland trade routes between Mesopotamia and the Mediterranean. Instead, it focused on gaining allies among the former Saihist regions of Arabia, sending missionaries who frequently came back with positive results. These allies provided a critical source of cavalry to a state which otherwise was generally becoming increasingly militarily weak. Reforms of the military had drifted away from the Roman-inspired model of the early Heshanids, which mixed disciplined, flexible infantry forces with well-trained Eftal cavalry. Increasingly, this had been replaced with a more affordable system of local levies which left the Heshanids ill-equipped to handle any existential threat, but were more than sufficient for border patrols. Combined with several disastrous military interventions in Arabia, the Heshanid Shahs soured on military affairs.

This changed during the reign of Timotheos Heshanos (943-958) who faced a full-scale Berber invasion of Cyrene led by a warlord named Misibsin in 954. After the near loss of the Libyan frontier, Timotheos created a series of new frontier governors with extraordinary power to maintain professional frontier armies. However, within a generation of Timotheos’ premature death, these frontier governors would largely be replaced by the corrupt lackeys of the latest Emperor Alexandros. Misibsin, defeated but undaunted, raised a new army and succeeded in wresting Cyrene out of Egyptian hands, naming himself Agillid, or King, of the region. However, Misibsin was crafty, and willing to show nominal submission to the Emperor in Heliopolis and pay a tax if it meant he could keep his new won territory.

In 1016, Egypt was as rich as it had ever been. Misibsin’s son, Igider, even represented a friendly trade connection to the Berbers of Africa, and had even nominally converted to Christianity, despite not enforcing the faith on his kinsmen or nobles. Trade flowed up the Red Sea and much of the wealth of the Savahila and India came with it in the form of tariffs.

However, it was also an easy target for a vast and rapidly expanding empire. Padishah Artaxser assembled an army of some sixty thousand men, perhaps a third of them mounted. When he mounted his invasion, he rolled over Egyptian Syria and Palestine rapidly, destroying isolated garrisons. He paused briefly in Emesa, taking time to dedicate a new temple to the solar aspect of Mitra, and proceeded southwards, besieging Askalon and then marching on Gaza. It fell to Kaiqalagh, a Turko-Ifthal mercenary general, to capture Jerusalem, almost as an afterthought of a well-orchestrated and devastating campaign.

It was only when Artaxser reached Gaza that he was met with resistance from the Heshanid Basileus Syavos Chrysostomos and an army largely composed of Arab mercenaries. While the Coptic Christians had no interest in Votive War, their campaign was designed around reconquering Jerusalem and driving out the Khardi. Syavos earned his epithet by giving an impassioned speech to the assembled army at Tamiathis, bringing many of his captains to tears with his exhortations to recapture the sacred city.

The battle was fought on the plains of Gaza, and almost immediately it seemed that the Khardi had the upper hand. Berxwedan, the Shah’s brother, commanded the left flank and the bulk of the cavalry, and outmatched the Arab mercenaries on the Egyptian right. The main body of the Khardi infantry were under the command of Rojkhat, a Khardi viceroy with years of experience on the steppe frontier, but he was a cavalry commander by trade, and struggled to push back the Egyptian infantry, who despite generally being of low quality were motivated by religious zeal every bit as much as their Iranian counterparts. The battle lasted the better part of the day, but in the end Berxwedan’s cavalry returned and crashed into the rear of the Egyptian army, scattering it.

This was a disaster from which the Heshanid dynasty could not recover. Heliopolis, their historic palace city, was on the East bank of the Nile, and the Khardi did not even have to cross the river to take it. Once it fell, organized resistance crumbled as well.

Despite the ease of their triumph, the Khardi faced a significant problem. Unlike Syavush centuries prior, they could in no way claim to be liberators. The Heshanids were considered by the common people a thoroughly native dynasty, sharing their religion, language, and culture despite their now distant origins on the Central Asian steppe. As Syavos Heshanid fled south to Makuria, the hearts of his people went with him. The Khardi were foreign invaders with a religious mandate backing their justification for war. They had little understanding of the region they had conquered, and much of Egypt remained unpacified.

It would be a long war yet.

[Alas, poor Heshanids. The great Kurdwank marches on... for now. Stay tuned.]

I'm guessing that the Khardi will likely follow the trend set by groups like them through the timeline. Establish empire, expand, decline and then be conquered by the next group. It happened to the Efthal and the Turks, so it'll likely happen to them. Plus I don't think Egypt's going to stay conquered when it's your favorite country.

Massive Kurdwank indeed, but the Heshanids were a logical victim. Let's hope for some light at the end of Egypt's tunnel...

Frankly, I think the Kurds might have overextended themselves by trying for Egypt and have hit their high point. They came in a straight invaders unwilling to adhere to any of the local culture and they're going to have a dreadfully hard time occupying it. I also agree that Egypt is not going to stay conquered for long, especially since Syavos has fled to safety in Makuria where he can organize an army to counterattack when the time is right.

Now, its all downhill for the Kurds.

This is too large of a bite for Kurds to take, I fear for the survival of their empire. Their religious intolerance is going to do nothing but ferment rebellion in a region that probably has a population between 3 to 4 million people.

I wonder if we'll see a Third Votive War with Egypt as its main target.

The Khardis done goofed. The Heshanids were able to hold on to Egypt by ingratiating themselves with the locals. With the rightful ruler still at large and the the country not fully pacified it's not looking good for the Khardis. Not to mention the fact that the Egyptians could get Berber support if Misibsin dies and Igider ascends to the throne in the near future.

I don't know if it's all downhill for the Kurds. But you guys have identified the biggest problems with an Egyptian invasion.

Their biggest internal problem though, I'd say, is keeping too many balls in the air all at once. They're trying to appease everyone, but certain groups like the Nowbahar aren't easily appeased.

And an anti-Christian policy would work better if there weren't so many Christians on their western periphery.

The Makurians will probably accept the Heshanids' request for asylum... and maybe help them?
Is this Makuria's big chance to put itself on the map?