Woo. By popular demand I may make a rough map then.

As I've already indicated, Hobelhouse wants to make a more detailed European one that will undoubtedly put my efforts to shame. To shame!

Crisis of the 11th Century
Egypt in the 11th Century

The Khardi conquest of Egypt was declared achieved long before they had effective control over the sprawling territory. Evidence points to the mass seizure of river-boats by Iranian troops to allow travel up and down the Nile. Alexandria itself was besieged and did not fall until the subsequent year, but by 1018 Artaxser ruled everything from the Nile delta to Syene – at least notionally.

By 1019, Artaxser had returned to Susa, where he was aiming to rebuild the “ancient capital.” In one of the strange twists of history, the Kurdish nomads who had conquered Mesopotamia generally had a narrow view of their own past. While the Mitradharmid dynasty traced their lineage back to mythological ancient Shahs, they had only a foggy understanding of the Sasanian dynasty or the Arascids before them. In general, history began when they settled Mesopotamia less than two centuries previously – all else took on the cast of antique legend. Accordingly, Susa was the eternal capital of any Iranian Empire, and Tesiphon and other historic centers of power were poorly regarded as mere provincial seats.

After leaving Egypt, Artaxser left it in the hands of Prince Berxwedan, his brother, who was allowed to rule it with the title of Shah. He took with him a large portion of the army, ordering Rojkhat to launch a punitive expedition against the Arabs. The Arab tribes of Syria and Palestine were old allies of the Heshanids, and with the decline of Saihism, they made easy allies with interior tribes such as the Tayy and waged guerilla war against the Khardi. Doctrinal differences were for the moment forgotten in the face of the overwhelming threat posed by the Iranian armies. While Jerusalem had fallen to pagans before, never had there been such a disruption of pilgrimage or a desecration of holy places. Word of this violence would ultimately spread as far as the Frankish lands.

Berxwedan was an unpopular ruler, to say the least. In Heliopolis, the seat of the Royal Palace, he enjoyed near absolute license to do as he pleased – the population of the city was small and primarily existed to serve the bureaucratic needs of the state. However, he could not govern and pacify Egypt by remaining in a single isolated palace city. He travelled to Alexandria and according to contemporary Coptic chronicles, he carried out pagan sacrifices in the churches and allowed his soldiers to loot the richly decorated interiors. In the words of the monk Cyril of Memphis, he “burnt alive twelve horses to honor Ohrmazd and Virhrm, and spread the blood of babes in the baptismal font.” Despite the obvious exaggeration, it seems obvious that Berxwedan had no regard for the Alexandrine populace and when they broke out in rioting, he ordered his troops the massacre the protestors.

The people of Alexandria, and Egypt in general, were not particularly warlike. The Heshanids had never relied on Coptic peasants for anything more than garrisons and preventing civil insurrections, allowing them to take the field only in major campaigns and then preferring to utilize Arabs and Syrians, who they viewed as more martial races. Accordingly there was little knowledge of warfare among the Egyptians.

During the rebellions of 1019-1024, the Egyptian forces time and again had poor discipline, poor equipment, and limited training. They put their faith in religious conviction, believing they could not fail if their cause was righteous. Alas, God favored the side with the lance-armed heavy cavalry whose horses were barded with scale and lamellar. Furthermore, the geography of Egypt made guerilla warfare difficult. The Khardi army gained control of the Nile and major cities, and then with almost contemptuous ease proceeded from village to village slaughtering any resistance. That the rebellion lasted some five years is a testament to the fanaticism of the resistance even in spite of massive material disadvantages.

It was Rojkhat, ironically, who struggled, despite being a kinder and more accommodating figure in the eyes of the locals. Despite being notionally a member of the Nowbahar, he was a personally tolerant figure who refused to allow his personal austerity to dictate the beliefs of his subjects. He reversed prohibitions on pilgrimage and allowed the Christians to carry out the religious services in peace. However, on the battlefield he found himself struggling. The rough terrain of Palestine saw some portion of his vanguard caught in an ambush and henceforth he found that the Arabs were a dangerous foe, who knew the countryside and knew where to drill for water. His own advantages were minimal, and he had few allies – but an ample supply of reinforcements with which to wear down the Arab partisans. In desperation he also made an alliance with surviving Saihist tribesmen, gaining guides that allowed him to pursue the enemy deep into their own territory – only to awaken one cool desert morning to find the guides departed and Arab soldiers all around. On some anonymous outcropping, the Khardi forces barely fought their way out of the ambush and limped back to Palestine.

Syavos, meanwhile, had fled to Makuria, where he pleaded with the Emperor Zacharias for aid. However, it was slow in coming. The Makurian army was engaged primarily in the south, fighting bandits in the wake of the Hawiyan collapse. The Jewish warlords of Zanafij were a more potent and immediate threat to Makuria. Further, Zacharias imposed certain demands – namely, he wanted to reverse the relationship between Egypt and Makuria, where Makuria was the lesser partner and dependent on Egypt for the confirmation of Bishops. Syavos found any terms that would leave him a vassal to his southern counterpart intolerable, and was unable to put aside his pride for several years. Though he was treated as an honored guest, he was not permitted to leave the palace, and finally this confinement wore him thin and he acceded to Zacharias’ demands. Even then, however, aid did not come. The two men signed a treaty of sorts, but deciding the timetable was the luxury of the Makurians.

Other Egyptians looked to hope from Agillid Igider of Cyrene, but the young King rebuffed their pleas. He was now free entirely from the tributary yoke of the Heshanids, and a small, halfhearted attempt by Berxwedan to bring him to heel was rebuffed. Inscriptions on stele from Igider’s reign seem to indicate a heterodox approach to Christianity, where the Berbers refused to stop worshipping their traditional gods, but cheerfully included Jesus and the Christian God amongst their pantheons. Coins bore the stamp of “Khrist Idir” a sort of syncretic deity first recorded in 1012, who began to gain a widespread following in 1026 after Igider’s brother Izarasen took power.

The [Persian] Crisis of the 11th Century[1]

What greater perversion of the Darma can there be than Arthasher the son of Anisherivana who is the breaker of idols and sets himself among the number of the gods? The hour of the Mithra Bodda is nigh upon us, and may we all be saved from ignorance and despair.

-11th century manuscript recovered from an Azerbijani temple

Stand and know you stand before the ultimate, the great God and Lord, the ultimate divinity of all divinities, the ultimate controlling principle of all controlling powers.

Lord of the becoming world, the principle that is invoked and worshipped through the name of Zurvan has itself no notion or faculty; nor has it anything that it must do.

No natural thing or artifice is God’s equal or superior. God cannot take the form of any bodily thing. Meditate then upon this.

-Text found in the Iranian city of Ram

The religious and ethnic conflicts which defined Iran since the fall of the Eftal eventually gave way to something new and altogether more unified. It was a bloody, but perhaps inevitable, process. Ironically, it was the Khardi, a people who were mostly “pagans” in the most classical sense of the term, who would bring about the reforms necessary to end the sectarian violence between the great factions of Iranian society. Religious sects such as the Homihna and the Nowbahar, the latter Mahadevists and the rising cult of Virhrm-Ohrmazd all clashed at times with the polytheist Buddhism that was by now the mainstream, majority religion of Iran, to say nothing of the communal violence afflicted on the remaining Christian communities of Armenia and Asoristan. The common Iranians resented the privileged status of Turks and Eftal within the Ifthal mercenary system, and all comers resented the Khardi for settling amongst them and building new garrison cities, and perhaps above all for conquering them.

The Yazdati beliefs of the Khardi themselves fell somewhere between the “mystery cult” movements popularized by Bakhti refugees and Zoroastrian holy men and the lay Buddhism of the common Eftal and Iranian. Accordingly, they were distrusted by all – neither strange enough to be exotic and not familiar enough to be trusted, their detractors whispered of the “perversion of religion” while cheerfully ignoring the fact that their own religion would have been unrecognizable to a Sasanian nobleman or even an Eftal tribesman from but a few centuries ago.

Despite this distrust, the Khardi were innovators determined to maintain their hold on power. They had carved an empire that stretched from Sogdia to Cappadocia, effectively restoring the Eftal Empire at its height in a way not even equaled by the Aghatsaghids, who had relied heavily on viceroys and tributary princes to accomplish a similar feat. However, unlike the Eftal, the Mitradharmid dynasty could not depend on the relative tolerance of their subjects. Furthermore, despite their relatively small numbers, the Nowbahar enjoyed a disproportionate voice which showed every sign of growing stronger and more resolute in the face of persecution.

The groundwork for Artaxser’s religious reforms would be laid even during his first major campaign into Egypt. From the moment of his ascension to the Imperial bench he claimed to be a Chakravarti and the bringer of universal justice – weaving the Buddhist conception of monarchy with language and rhetoric not unfamiliar to any of the more Iranianized sects including the new Mahadevist movements. The Iranshahr was not going to deny divinities entirely, but many of the Iranian mystery cults had themselves always had an iconoclastic streak, preferring to represent God as fire or an absence in their art. He equated the Yazdati deities with their equivalents in Eftal and Iranian mythology, a practice which was relatively easy given the widespread intermixing of Khardi and their subjects.

Artaxser avoided open persecution in favor of covert persecution and propaganda. Forcing prominent Nowbahar preachers to publicly recant their testimony through less than savory means and give favorable accounts of his reign was a particular favored tactic of his. He minted coins where his own image was absent, replaced with an icon of the throne and the Buddha on one side and a stylistic symbol representing Ohrmazd or Mitra on the reverse. Thanks to the long propagation of Indian religious thought over the centuries, the merger and equating of gods was something that most people were familiar with. Various philosophical and religious tracts even argued for something akin to monotheism or pantheism – influenced by the pantheistic tendencies which had been in vogue across the subcontinent in the wake of the Maukhani. The struggle, as ever, was incorporating the nontheistic tendencies of Buddhism, and this was where the vicious Nowbahar reaction diverged with the moderate repudiations of traditional western Buddhism.[2]

Artaxser established himself as an almost divine figure, but notably refused to take this in an explicitly Buddhist route. The victories of the Khardi and his dynasty in particular, his propaganda claimed, were because they were rightful rulers of Iran, descended from the mythic Askanid dynasty, and thus their rule was in accordance with truth and the spread of universal justice and enlightenment to all. Abandoned stupa and temples across Iran but especially in Avghanistan were renovated and claimed to be evidence of the ancient Askanid dynasty’s patronage of the Buddha.

In this manner, Artaxser, more than any of his predecessors, laid the ideological groundwork for the survival and continuance of the Khardi state. As a conqueror and ruler alike he developed a cult of personality around himself and his dynasty which ensured its endurance. By skirting close to claiming the title of something like the Maitreya Buddha or a Saosyant but without openly taking any such title and indeed actively repudiating these notions, he managed to appropriate the rhetoric of a messianic redeemer and tread a delicate middle path between those who wished to smash idols and end god-worship, and those for whom the Buddha was just another aspect of a vast pantheon of gods.

Those Nowbahar who refused to be silenced fled in no small numbers to southern Arabia and among the Savahila. The former embraced them for their iconoclasm and the latter were remarkably tolerant. In general, however, the Khardi Iranshahr lost little. They patronized any intellectual willing to write positively about their regime, and co-opted many others with subtle applications of force, which allowed their narrative to overpower the dissenting voices. Other mystery cultists and radicals fled north, seeking the Sahu country, or east into India, where their mysticism was sometimes embraced.

It is worth noting that certain regions required different policies. Ferghana, Sogd, and Avghana all were more deeply Hindu in their religious observances, and accordingly were not deeply penetrated by Nowbahar sympathies. Furthermore, they were sufficiently peripheral that their satraps were allowed to issue currency which differed in style (if not in weight or specifications) from the royal currency. These coins frequently feature depictions of Hindu and Iranian deities as human beings, and their temples did not undergo the iconoclastic transformation that afflicted the west. Imperial policy was frequently one of benign neglect, so long as taxes were collected and garrisons respected. However, stele commemorating Artaxser’s reign can nevertheless be found across these regions, so Imperial rule was never quite as light as Aghatsaghid dominion over large parts of Persia and Mesopotamia was.

[1] Obviously the Persians wouldn’t have called it that. Also there’s another big crisis in the 11th century that will involve a major setback to the Indian “Republican” tradition, so I wanted to clarify. Spoilers!

[2] Iranian/Sogdian Buddhism of course allows for plenty of traditional deities and like most of the western Buddhist traditions is quite heretical. However it refuses to acknowledge or concern itself with an overall deity or a creator deity, seeing both as heretical. Even after Artaxser’s reforms, the notion of a universal deity should not be confused with a creator deity – the universe is both eternal and cyclical in their conception.

I like the pace of these updates, keep them coming if you can :) also appreciate the focus on religion, especially from such a subtle theologic angle.

Regarding an earlier question, what it is about TTL that seems optimistic, I will admit that this is a rather naive interpretation. It's just that this story has diverged quite a bit from real history ever since the PoD, and due to a focus away from more narrative or textbook segments I find it hard to compare the quality of life between OTL and TTL. Due to the more general descriptive style this goes for I fall back on those very biased 'markers of progress' like stability, trade and technology, and while the Middle East and China are caught in some turmoil, the stability of the Franks and the wealth of India both seem astounding. Again though, this could all be perfectly explainable. Had I the courage I would try my hand at some 'historiographical' bits for TTL's universe, see how such a radically different world generates its own cycles of historical methodology and bias. Nevertheless, this is one of the coolest timelines out there :)

Finally, if I might offer some less-than-amateur advice, it would be neat to see some sort of interim tale between the end of this thread and the start of the columbian exchange. Maybe using a TLIAW format, the entire setting could be summarised and pulled up to a single date, held together perhaps by some sort of Marco Polo type world adventure. I know that would be quite some work, I just wish I could throw money at stories like these because they manage to open up the treasure trove of inspiration that is real history.

Thanks for the feedback! If you ever feel interested in doing any alternate historiography for this timeline, let me know via PM, I'd love to talk about it. In general I chose the style I did because writing "textbook" installments would require me to have more information about the future of the timeline than I'm willing to give out or even know at this juncture. I've made some small concessions to mentioning "future historians" or "archaeologists" but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to assume those exist.

The idea of a summary TLIAW is interesting. I'll keep it in mind. :)

Here's a very rough world map. It focuses mostly on polities with proper borders that have been touched upon directly in the current story, and thus leaves off a lot of stuff. Also I think Russia might be really screwy - I apologize, I'm bad at maps and not good with points of reference.

http://i.imgur.com/pDf5m3U.jpg

But hopefully this map, particularly for places that are less well known, provides some context.

Finally got all the way through this after reading it on and off since December. I think it might be the most ambitious timeline on this site. I can't think of any other TL that has covered basically all of the Old World for several centuries. And wow, it's been a trip.

My favorite part of this timeline has been the religious developments, especially the Buddhist reimagining of Odin and the Nowhaddar.

Some thoughts on specific areas:
-Western Europe has got to be a lot better off on the ground level due to a lot more peace and the Med never becoming anything close to the war zone that it was historically with lots of Christian vs. Muslim conflict.
-Similarly the general Ukraine area being much more settled is going to give the Russians a desperately needed buffer against steppe peoples to their immense benefit in the long run. The Russians are much less likely to be an impoverished backwater.
-Am loving the Indian diaspora wank, probably my favorite bit to read about.
-In thlong run the Middle East just has to bounce back with both Western Europe and India being richer than atvthe same time IOTL it's so well situated to be a middle man for a lot of trade.
-Am cheering for the Sklavendi more than anyone, they're like a small but vicious dog.

Thanks, Daztur, for the praise. I don't know about most ambitious, but it does certainly feel like it's been a journey, and when I began it I had no intent to continue beyond the fall of the Eftal Empire. But I'm glad I did.

-Large parts of Western Europe are better off. However, despite my possibly less than adequate coverage of it, there was plenty of Norse raiding and a 20 year bloody civil war in Spain. Italy has seen numerous conflicts and raids by Sebouk Arslan, so while large parts of Europe are doing much better than OTL, there are also parts that have seen roughly comparable warfare. Still, more and bigger urban centers.

-Essentially true. At the very least there will be a snowball effect from the early development of the region.

-The Middle East, under the Khardi, despite being rocked by the aftershocks of conquest and war is definitely beginning the road to recovery. Southern Arabia is also poised to prosper from the new trade opportunities, despite the political and climatological dissolution of the major regional powers. In fact we'll probably see new states rise to prominence. Furthermore, I think that even in decline Saihism will have an influence on the evolution of Arabian Christianity and Buddhism alike.

-I pity the Sklaveni, being caught between so many great powers for pretty much their whole history. On the other hand they and the Eftal tag-teamed all that remained of the classical world basically, so I can understand why they're not super popular among the average poster.

Since I'm now thinking about antiquity, a fun fact is that the Roman Senate still exists in Rome. It was maintained in increasing irrelevance until the final fall of the Severian Emperors, surviving the 838 sack of Rome and the 852 destruction of the Empire. Aloysius' coronation in 858 acknowledged only the spiritual authority of the Pope however, and Aloysius seems to have made little attempt to interact with the Senate, preferring to focus on establishing his own Dukes and grandees over major landed estates and stripping many of the old families of Italy of their territory in retribution for their support of Julian Alunnis.

This basically crushed the Senate even as a formal body. However it did not dissipate, and the Imperial Legate (Viceroy of Italy) ultimately was granted the authority to distribute the title of Senator as an adjunct rank to major landholders at his discretion. This power kept the title of Senator alive, and from time to time in periods of crisis the Senate would be called to gather in Rome, such as during the Second Votive War, when it issued a proclamation supporting the Imperial campaigns.

The Senate, like many other little facets of this timeline, doesn't play a "big picture" role but I hope that details like this help flesh out the timeline. In this world, with a long-surviving Western Empire, the rank of Senator is a meaningful prestige title and the Senate, despite no longer meeting in the Curia Julia, still exists. (It meets at the Imperial Legate's exquisitely well-fortified mansion, outside the city.)

Faith in Europe
The Berber states before the Age of Discovery

The increasing centralization of the Berber kingdoms came to a close in the mid-tenth century, as a sort of rough equilibrium was reached between the Igladan monarchs and their vassal clans. It was a time of prosperity and trade, with the overland routes between Ghana and the Berber coast taking in ever-increasing volumes of goods.

The Mauri mercantile class remained distinct from Berber society as a whole. As Christians who spoke a Romance language, they had little difficult traveling through Europe, and as a people who had many cultural similarities with the inland Berbers, they had little difficulty blending into and intermarrying with prominent Berber families. Nicene religious observance, however, was a tricky subject for the Mauri. Over the centuries North Africa had gained a reputation for being a den of heretics and pagans alike, and this was not lessened by the willingness of the Mauri to worship other gods alongside the traditional Christian pantheon, at least publicly and for political gain. The Bishops of North Africa wrote frequent letters to the Pope begging for liberation, but their pleas tended to fall on deaf ears. The Dukes and magistrates of Italy and Southern France grew fat on African trade, and had no desire to see it imperiled by war. Besides, the specter of the Khirichan still loomed heavily over Europe, and the Berbers were more a source of mercenaries than a threat.

In addition to the swelling frequency of Mediterranean trade and their critical trans-Saharan connections, the Masamida also made contact with the Norse settlements on the islands that the Mauri called Niguara and the natives had begun to call Andiland [Canary Islands] in their own tongue. While the volume of trade itself was relatively small, the Mauri sailors provided critical knowledge of advanced agricultural techniques and in return learned much about oceanic travel and the world to their south. In time, a small Berber population would also settle on the Niguara isles, contributing to the truly distinctive ethnic makeup of the small Atlantic kingdom.

From the Andilanders, the Masamida learned of the Fula kingdom far to the south, where the Norse traded for timber and iron, and travelled even as far as the Kingdom of Akan, seeking an alternative source for ivory and gold with mixed successes. These expeditions could be incredibly lucrative, but they also posed greater risks than the reliable Taureg caravans. Still, by eliminating the middleman, certain merchants among the Masamida became incredibly wealthy, and improved ship design allowed journeys across the ocean to become increasingly safe and reliable.

As centralized monarchies, the Berber states were generally well linked together by trade and familial alliances. Despite notional borders, nomadic groups frequently crossed these boundaries and kinship and vassal obligations more than territorial lines defined these kingdoms. Cities, towns, and sedentary peoples knew which regime they were a part of by their ties and treaties rather than lines on a map. Accordingly it is difficult to define clear boundaries on the Berber states until several centuries later. However, this was the era in which single royal capitals began to develop, rather than the monarchy moving from city to city.

Centralization also meant attempts by the Berber kings to unify religious sentiments. Local gods and ancestor worship were too much a part of Berber life and culture to be expunged (as seen by the general failure of Mauri missionary activities) but coins and monuments increasingly reference the Cyrenican deity Idir Karst or Idir Christ, an indigenous messianic figure who increasingly became a chief divinity. Several local prophetesses to this new syncretic deity are also recorded as emerging in the first twenty years of the 11th century. While worship of Idir dates back to Greco-Roman times, when he was equated with Apollo or Serapis, Idir Karst seems to have been worshiped as one of a number of messianic gods who incarnated upon earth in human form - borrowing liberally from Ghanese and Judeo-Christian traditions. Where Isau Karst [Jesus] was worshiped as well, the two were frequently contrasted, with the Idir taking on elements of a conquering hero and a redeemer of Isau, whose mission was halted by the treachery of the Jews.

The Religious Backdrop of Europe

Another major influence of North Africa upon Europe in the 10th century, besides the profusion of mercenaries was the Tinanian heresy. Almost entirely annihilated in its native land, the Tinanians had a long and esoteric history. Descended from Manichaean preachers exiled by the Eftal of Syria, Tinanian mysticism emphasized retreat from worldly affairs and a dualistic world in which material things were a source of true evil. Among the commercial wealth and splendor of Italy and Southern France, Tinanian preaching had a real appeal, both to those who felt guilt for their material success and those who had failed to achieve the same. It was the Mauri of Sicily who brought the teachings to a broader European audience, bolstered by a new wave of refugees who fled from the centralizing efforts of the Igladan [Kings] of North Africa.

By the 11th century, Tinanism had a large, primarily urban, following across Italy and France. In general, the 11th century for Europe would be one of religious turmoil and this would be no exception. Folk Desidarianism also enjoyed a resurgence as the rural population began to see heresy everywhere. Burnings and persecutions became commonplace in many places, despite calls from moderate orders such as the Cassadorians for calm. Catholicism in general was unprepared to deal with these new threats to the established orthodoxy, both the existential danger posed by heresy and the subtler danger to order and good governance posed by the mob violence of Desidarian preachers. The existing order seemed everywhere imperiled, and for once the threat was not the looming threat of a steppe Khagan but rather from inside.

In 1004, the Imperial Legate, a Tuscan grandee by the name of Julian de Florentia decided to side with the Desidarians against the Tinanian threat. Mass arrests were held, and a literal witch-hunt of sorts lasted for three years before Legate Julian was recalled to Aachen to face censure for his actions. The aging Aloysius V, however, was torn. On one hand it was important to persecute heresy in all its forms, and yet on the other hand, many of the suspected heretics were simply wealthy figures targeted by corrupt local magistrates. He suspected Julian de Florentia, as a landholding grandee, was simply trying to expand the power and prestige of himself and his friends at the expense of anyone who could possibly be linked to heresy. Furthermore, he feared another situation akin to Spain, a long civil conflict which could leave lasting scars on one of the most prosperous parts of his dominion.

So when Julian was recalled, he replaced him with his nephew Goscelin, who he expected to have more control over. And while he did indeed have Goscelin’s obedience, the new Legate the Papacy found themselves often at odds. Goscelin was a plodding, meticulous man whose temperament was poorly suited to managing the vast number of vassals and obligations that the Legate of Italy had to balance. Furthermore, Aloysius V was now too ill to travel from Aachen, and he decided to delay any resolution of the matter until the coronation campaign of his son, who would be crowned as Aloysius VI in 1009.

Even as the Imperial administration was distracted by affairs in the south, new problems with internal unification became increasingly apparent in Germany, where the nobility took advantage of Aloysius V’s infirmity. Under Frankish succession laws, which by now were relatively universal across the Empire, the firstborn son inherited all titles. Traditionally, the blow to the younger sons was softened by handing out titles and offices to lesser nobles. However, under Emperor Majorian, the list of offices and titles had swollen to enormous sizes. Once a method for the state to assert power over the nobility, it had become a way for lesser nobility to gain a sort of royal dole. The Imperial apparatus was swollen with effectively useless figures who expected estates and salaries.

This might not have been a problem in an expanding Empire such as in earlier days, or if the Frankish Empire had the energy for a new Votive War to carve out a region in which to expand. But in Aloysius V’s Europe, expansion was dominated by German landholders and freemen, and even that had mostly stalled. The obvious solution was to encourage religious life as an alternative to entitlement. However, the second sons of Dukes had little interest in retiring to some anonymous monastery, and expected powerful Bishoprics or the office of Abbot at some important location. At first, this benefitted the Church as well – they could negotiate high prices for such preferential treatment. This practice was not without precedent, but the scale was notable. Previously, there had been more prestige in royal office, but with royal offices drying up, Dukes became deeply invested in who they could… invest.

Thus began the Investiture Controversy. The Church and Empire had rarely quarreled outright. Apart from the traditional succession campaigns to Rome, there had been a general understanding that Church interests would be respected and that appointments high church offices, since they sometimes commanded vast temporal wealth, would be confirmed by both Church and local government – a practice dating back to the Isidorians. While this was an ideal not always held to, there were rarely major conflicts. However, with expansive new Church titles being regularly created in the early 11th century, the Emperor asserted that it was his right, and his right alone, to confirm Church appointments. The local German dukes asserted that they should be considered, as all local rulers had been consulted before the quasi-unification of Christendom under the Emperor.

The Church was torn. The Pope supported the Emperor, but many of the clergy across Europe, including the powerful Benedictine and Cassadorian orders, did not. Simony enriched them, and local simony was generally more profitable than Imperial negotiations, and was resolved quicker. As tempers flared, no easy resolution was in sight. The death of the Pope in 1005 further complicated matters, as Julian, the Imperial Legate, had a strong say in the choice of the next Pope, and leaned on the Curia to keep a Pope friendly to Imperial interests in general and the interests of the Italian nobility in particular. He got his wish with Pope Innocent I.

Furthermore, the German dukes had an even greater list of grievances. The Italian aristocracy, they felt, had far too much influence. Why did every Emperor tour Italy, when their armies were the vanguard of Christendom, and their sacrifices kept all Europe safe? Why did they have to travel to Aachen to be heard when every Emperor met with the Dukes of Italy in their own courts? Why did so many Frankish kings marry into the families of Italian landholders?

As the Dukes met and discussed the issues even more, tempers flared. Radical notions were suggested. The patriarchs of old were lost to the infidel hordes. Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem, Constantinople – all were once again in heathen hands and even when they had not been they had been held by heretics. God consistently punished the Christian faithful of the East for their compromises and submission to the Boddo-worshipping devils. Should there not be new Patriarchates, representing the new seats of Christendom? And from the west, many Frankish delegations joined the German chorus. They too had been alienated, despite sacrificing their blood against the Norse. Why should they not receive the right to appoint their own kin to Church offices if those offices fell within their lands? Italy after all was a den of heresy. Good, local, Frankish Christians were in no short supply, why should they have to risk a Tinanist Bishop?

Battle lines across Europe were drawn the de Toulouse dynasty faced its first real challenge. Aloysius V would do almost nothing to stop the controversy from spreading, and indeed he would fuel the fire with angry and borderline paranoid responses to those Dukes who petitioned him.

Last edited:
Western Patriarchates sound cool.

But, did I read the hint right:
Will the Berbers be the discoverers of what lies beyond the great ocean ITTL? With perhaps a few Buddhist Vikings from the Canaries thrown in?
That would be so awesome. Totally innovative. Apart from diseases and a bit of technology (minus gunpowder, so far), TTL´s Old World input into Old Word - New World contacts would look entirely different.

So the Frankish royal authority is weakening and religious strife is on the rise. If only the Kirichan were in position to exploit this weakness.

Wu
The East in summary

China in the 10th century struggled against the current as long as it could. The Northern Kingdom, under the rule of a new Khagan Eltemish, struggled actively to resist Chinese and Kitai influences, but was simply incapable of doing so. The Kitai in particular retained their traditional autonomy, and Eltemish was forced to act the part of a Chinese Emperor so as to quell peasant uprisings. The great weight of Han history and tradition was in many senses too powerful. Surrounded by the antique splendor of past dynasties, governing from a Qi palace, it was in a sense inevitable that Eltemish would forget his origins. He assigned posthumous names to his ancestors and began calling himself Xuanzong.

However, these changes did not endear him to the Uighur nomads who were his true base of support, or the garrisons across the country who he depended upon to maintain order. Eltemish/Xuanzong was forced out in a palace coup in 943, and replaced by Inanbayan, his younger brother. The royal children and the royal consorts were sent into exile and waylaid by “bandits” en route. None survived. Eltemish himself was rather more lucky, being sent to a Buddhist monastery and allowed to live out his days there – kept around as a threat of sorts to Inanbayan that he too was utterly replaceable.

The coup which overthrew Eltemish, however, was backed by both Uighur clans and the Kitai. Much like how the Uighurs had once travelled to the Qi court and extracted humiliating deals with them, these clans and the Kitai did the same, taking from the capital exorbitant tributes in kind, enriching themselves and their consorts while treating the royal court as effectively captive to their interests.

For the next three decades, Inanbayan ruled as a puppet. The tax revenues of the Empire were signed away to certain clans, and the Kitai in particular gained important military governorships across the Uighur Empire. Inanbayan’s son Inantengin succeeded him in 978, and with this succession the Kitai gained total control over the North Kingdom. Inantengin was married to a Kitai princess and utterly controlled by her. Yaol Ambayan Tainzou, the Kitai Khan, was invested with the title “Prime Minister of the Book Agency” an inconspicuous office which agglomerated to itself total control of the state apparatuses. By 1012, Yaol Abaoji, Ambayan’s grandson, took power directly in yet another palace coup.

The Kitai by this point had long enjoyed near absolute control over government, and the Uighurs had become accustomed to their role as mercenaries and protectors of that control. By playing the long game, Ambayan had ensured that the prestige of the Jaylaqar dynasty could fade naturally and the Uighur clans within the Empire would come to accept their new position. The Book Agency’s Third Section was instrumental in hunting down remaining members of the Jaylaqar dynasty, but because of almost a century of weakness and frequent palace coups, the Jaylaqar scions found few safe havens.

One of these havens was among the Tocharians, where several Jaylaqar pretenders would reside in the Tarim basin, trying to gather supporters and Kipchak mercenaries for a campaign which would never fully materialize. Ultimately, their dream of overthrowing Northern Kingdom and restoring their prestige never materialized.

In the south of China, neither the Chu nor the Wu successfully managed to create a united front against the Uighur Khaganate. The closest they came was a 957 invasion launched by the Chu which was only narrowly defeated by the Uighurs, but after this defeat, both polities found themselves largely on the defensive. The Chu built fortifications along the Han Shui river, the better to defend their territories in Sichuan from the north. Further, the Chu cultivated an alliance with the Bod Empire to defend their eastern flank, a treaty which allowed trade in Ferghana horses and western goods in exchange for a semi-regular tribute to Rhasa.

The Wu had also turned inwards, and the “East King” Li Fei (Suzong) managed several major victories against the Red Standards but he was unable to fully eradicate them. Unlike prior peasant rebellions, which had used Taoism or Buddhism as their ideology, the Manichaeist worldview of the Red Standards accommodated with far less mental gymnastics and a black and white world where the foes of the movement were literal devils and the allies of the movement literal “harmonious spirits” or angels. Anxi Yanyan’s death only made him a martyr, torn down by the powers of evil and disorder.

While the latter Red Standards were little more than vicious bandits, they were bandits with a cause who neither gave nor asked for quarter, and as such represented a perpetual thorn in the side of both the Wu and the Tai.

However, the Wu dynasty, despite its struggles in the south, also experienced a golden age of innovation and achievement between 980-1020. Under King Li Lun (Ruizong), patronage of the arts and magnificent Buddhist temples reached a fever pitch. The Wu also invested heavily in their oceangoing navy, seeing it as an important third flank in their on and off wars with the Kitai. Using lodestone divination needles submerged in water, the Wu fleet was one of the first to utilize the compass, starting roughly in 1015. Within fifty years, commercial sailors were making use of the technology and it had spread to Srivijaya and Japan. This technology, combined with fire-rockets imported from Vanga, allowed the Wu to score major naval victories against the Kitai.

The Wu had few allies, however. The Chu resented their mercantile prosperity and their stranglehold on the mouth of the Yangtze. Abortive attempts to align themselves with the wealthy Baekje Kingdom, the sole power of their eponymous peninsula, had failed after the Kitai intervened. Kitai dominion over Manchuria meant that in 966 they had been able to send an army with contemptuous ease to encircle Ungjin and demand the submission of the Baekje King. Since that point the Baekje had maintained only a weak token army and sent yearly tribute to the Uighur-Kitai Empire. Despite their submission however, Baekje prospered. Many Chinese intellectuals had fled to the peninsula after the Uighur conquest, and accordingly the past century had been one of increasing sinicization but also wondrous art and the introduction of a sprawling but effective bureaucracy modelled off of that of the Qi.

Accordingly, the Wu were left rather diplomatically isolated – just strong enough to repulse occasional northern invasions, but not strong enough to reunify China under their sovereignty.

[Updates on the Tai will be lumped in with Southeast Asia more generally, since that is the group they identify more with, and that part of OTL China will not be considered as properly Chinese ITTL.

If people have any questions, please ask. East Asia is not my specialty, so its a part of the world that I understand gets covered in relatively more vague posts. Bear with me on that. If people have specific parts of East Asia that they'd like to see covered in more depth, please let me know. If people have any interest in guest posts on East Asia, that's one of the areas I think I could really benefit from a more knowledgeable person's assistance.]

I'm still kind of bummed that the Uyghur Khaganate isn't Manichean like OTL. I would have like to have seen a Manichean China.

While Manichean China would be unique, I don't see how the Uighurs could have been the vehicle for that. I don't see Chinese culture accommodating Manichaeism brought to them by northern "barbarians."

While Manichean China would be unique, I don't see how the Uighurs could have been the vehicle for that. I don't see Chinese culture accommodating Manichaeism brought to them by northern "barbarians."

Yeah, I'm not seeing that either.

What usually happens is the other way around; China assimilates you or you get rejected. Or Manichaeism gets so Sinicized that its essentially unrecognizable.

I'm also wondering if the Mongols or some other group that is in the area is butterflied away. Much of what made Mongolia able to do what they did was because of the medieval warming period enabled a demographic boom, along with enable the area to support more horses and the like.

For the Mongols, there were many other factors such as the concentration of wealth and the decline of traditional kinship groups allowed the rapid unification of tribal groups into stronger and more tightly-knit confederations than previously possible. All it took was one clever and competent individual to tie it all together and give structure to the feuding.

While I doubt I'm going to have something exactly like the Mongols happen (where would the fun in that be?) if the same circumstances occur in a couple hundred years a horde could probably emerge and change the world. Maybe.

The one downside is that the regions that an alt-Mongol Empire would attack are all the same areas in this timeline that have already suffered most at the hands of steppe nomads. So maybe it's a bit unoriginal...

The one downside is that the regions that an alt-Mongol Empire would attack are all the same areas in this timeline that have already suffered most at the hands of steppe nomads. So maybe it's a bit unoriginal...

This only means that the Middle East will be ready this time:p

And that the Mongols aren't the exception now.

In terms of overall conquests there's no equal in TTL.

Plus everyone from the Eftal to Aghatsagh Shah to the Uighurs were already semi-sedentary to varying degrees. Although Aghatsagh at least equaled the conquests of Timur, I think.

Edit: a question and an update. First, does anybody know of any good timelines on this site about the Roman world if Christianity never took off? I've seen a few AHC/WI posts but never a timeline, and I just wanted to sate my curiosity without having to open a new thread. Just curious what sorts of things people have come up with.

Second, the next post will be an extensive look into Southeast Asia, particularly the rise of the Khmer, and how that's been changed/effected by butterflies and the major changes to India.

Last edited:
Khmer zenith
The Monsoon Alliance

The 9th and 10th centuries were for Southeast Asian polities a time of demographic and urban expansion. The concentration of state power allowed for the construction of enormous and enduring temple complexes. Nowhere was this phenomenon more evident than at the heart of Khmer civilization, great Indranokura and her rival and ally, Yasodharapurait, often called Angkor Thom or simply Angkor.

While it may be somewhat obvious to say that climate shaped the development of Khmer civilization, the monsoon system which gave its people life and food presented unique challenges. Much of the immense rainfall which blankets the region comes during a very specific wet season, and harnessing this season was the perennial challenge of those who wished to prosper on the banks of the Mekong. Due to their predictable patterns, the monsoon allowed sustainable agriculture and aquaculture to flourish – and the state perfected it. Mass engineering projects, particularly the construction of canals known as baray, allowed the guilds of Angkor and Indranokura to prosper to unprecedented degrees. Large-scale urbanization to remarkable levels became a hallmark of Khmer civilization.

The hydrological system reached its peak in the late tenth century, providing clean water to the sprawling interlinked system of cities which comprised Indranokura. Run by an indigenous version of the Ayat council system, Indranokuran governance was a byzantine and chaotic system at the best of times. Unlike in India, the guilds here had relatively limited authority – many merchants, craftsmen, and other groups were private individuals, and social mobility although limited was unprecedented for the time. However, the Ayat seats were effectively hereditary, and the monarch was more than a ceremonial figure or a glorified prime minister but a vital religious and political leader. Besides the Ayat, the main seat of power was the temple complex. Local cults syncretized their deities, adopting Hindu names and the overarching religious philosophies as necessary and in turn were granted secular power by local elites eager to use religion to validate their reign.

Part of the reason for the stuttering failure of mercantile guilds to gain control was the collapse of Qi China, which had profound effects on the economy of the entire region. While trade would recover within a century or so, its collapse during a time of political consolidation ensured the domination of religious figures and landholders rather than merchants. Yasodharapurait and Indranokura first signed an alliance in 874. Despite a war three years later, the alliance would be restored, and in union with the city of Vyadhapura, the “Triple Alliance” or Khmer Empire was formed. The Indranokuran Maharaja was notionally placed at the head of the entire system, a symbolic and yet vital link which bound the three cities together through regular visits between all three cities.

While the system might have had some flaws, the demographic advantages of the Khmer in general and the economic and political advantages of the Alliance in particular were overwhelming. Victory after victory was commemorated on temples and monuments to the glory of a series of world conquering Great Kings. Only the Champa dynasty of Vijayapura, shielded as they were by terrain and the Dvaravati city states, strong enough to fight back and form their own coalitions, resisted the centralizing power of Indranokura, and it was Indranokura that emerged as paramount member of the Alliance. By 933, when the terms of the treaty were renegotiated in favor of the Indranokuran Ayats, it was clear where true power lay. Henceforth, most temple dedications were in honor of the Maharaja, rather than local government.

Royal power before the 933 treaty was in many senses secular. The monarch had emerged from a local prominent family, and that family had gradually codified their powers within the framework of a Hindu state. However, after that date, the monarch increasingly became referred to as the devaraja, and sought to connect themselves with various Hindu deities as an incarnation of the divine to grant themselves additional legitimacy and prestige. Despite the centralizing tendencies, the Khmer were a loose and somewhat hegemonic empire. Geography and the uneasy nature of their union meant that symbolic dominion was often more important than actual dominion, and these local governors and councils who watched their names be erased from history in favor of the glorious conquests of a distant despot could rest easy knowing that their actual tangible power was far more difficult to wrest away.

The Khmer Empire did however pose a direct threat to the Srivijaya. By 900, Srivijaya was exhausted, having fought the Silendra dynasty and their partisans to a bloody standstill across Java. Interruptions in Chinese trade and the increasing independence of Srivijayas notional protectorates and partners had rocked the mighty city-state to the core. Local rulers sought their own power-bases, as the Silendra had, and the example set by the Silendra was that it was possible to rebel and at least for a while get away with it. Any punitive victory won by the Srivijayan Empire was rendered hollow by the Silendra dynasty’s escape further east. Word reached the Maharaja’s court that the Silendra exiles now lived in splendid luxury far away, and were no worse for their exile.

The Khmer Empire was one of the more obvious threats. More powerful than any other notional partner of the Srivijaya, the Khmer threat prompted the Srivijaya to begin working with the Dvaravati Raja Narapatisimhavarman providing money and great stockpiles of arms to counterbalance the Khmer and keep them preoccupied. With these generous gifts, Narapatisimhavarman encouraged certain Tai tribes to migrate into the Khorat Basin, distracting the Khmer and leading to several campaigns between 945-955. However, the Tai by and large saw better opportunities to their northeast, and in 957, those who remained, known as the Isan, signed a treaty acknowledging the primacy of Indranokura.

In 960, the Maharaja made a pact with the northern Mon city of Haripunjaya and their king, Chakafadiraj, further isolating the Dvaravati and cutting off their northern overland trade. Slowly, cities began to turn away from the Dvaravati and seek Khmer protection, protection which came with generally lenient terms and was closer to alliance than outright subjugation. However, the core of the Dvaravati kingdom, centered on Nakhon Pathon, refused to submit. Bolstered by a large Srivijayan army (said to number a hundred thousand men and ten thousand elephants) and lead by Sangramadhanan, the son of the famous general Dharmasetu and husband of the Imperial princess Devitanajaya. Sangramadhanan had earned his position thanks to his father’s impressive campaigns against the Silendrans, and though he had inherited his father’s tactical genius he lacked sufficient tact to endear himself to Narapatisimhavarman and indeed had a lofty and overbearing manner which alienated the Dvaravati nobility.

The Khmer invasion, when it came, was well-poised to take advantage of this division in the ranks. While what happened is unclear, it seems that the Srivijayan army was broken independently in a massive battle. Trophies from the victory adorned the walls of Indranokura for the next decade, and Sangramadhanan himself was captured and later executed. The Khmer army defeated Dvaravati roughly a month later and the Khmer enjoyed near total hegemony over Southeast Asia. The rag-tag remainder of the Srivijayan army was evacuated by sea and shortly after this period the city of Chaiya on the Malay peninsula underwent a massive fortification project.

News of this defeat caused a spate of rebellions. The Raja of Kadaram on the peninsula aligned himself with Indranokura, subverting the Srivijayan control of the region. One of the dynasts who had replaced the Silendra, Devasimha Dharmaja launched a successful rebellion on Java. Srivijayan power structures had always been lose and now they were utterly broken. The center of political power in the region would shift rapidly. Cities on the straits would acquire direct influence and Java, far more densely populated than Sumatra, would rise to hegemonic status.

A sign of growing Srivijayan weakness can be seen in the 1018 expedition by an Utkaladeshan navy which brought the once mighty city-state to ruin. Despite holding on as at least a notional hegemon, after that date, political power shifted irrevocably north and east. The city of Temasek on the Malay peninsula negotiated a favorable trade treaty with the Utkaladeshan fleet and henceforth would assume Srivijaya’s position and influence in the region in alliance with the city of Kadaram.

The 11th century was the zenith of the Khmer. Despite increasing strain on the hydraulic systems which enabled their supremacy, Khmer culture and hegemony was unquestionably dominant across a vast region. With the decline of Srivijaya and its fracturing into rival city-states, the Khmer, despite being a primarily land-based power could afford to play kingmakers of sorts, funneling funds to their favored allies and conspiring to bring down those who opposed them.