Thanks guys!

@Salvador

The largest "progress" has been the transition to corporate guild owned farming pushing out indigenous tribal peoples whose land use wasn't perhaps as efficient as theirs. This took both military and non-military forms, but generally involved coercive economic force in any case. This process occurred in OTL between say 600-800, but the feudal landholders who replaced the tribes in our timeline weren't really much more productive. Here everything is better organized because the guilds are more profit-focused than the landholder, and there's more individual incentive for the farmers to work since they can more directly see benefits from their labor.

Some small innovations in terms of irrigation and pumps have also been designed, transforming marginal arid territory in some places, particularly the south. Most of the progress has been social however, since technologically India is pretty well set and also already has many large harvests.

@Honest Abe:

1. I used the English name for the country where the Poles live.

2. The current map is not yet up to date with all things. Many local peoples have been incorporated into the greater Polonia/Poland. Including the Pomeranians and Masovians. Whether those groups will assimilate or maintain their own identity is yet up in the air. Stay tuned!

Indeed I will stay tuned.

It looks like the 'Medieval world' is really starting to take shape now. The only real question now is what form the Eastern Slavs take and whether this iteration of the 'Rus' will adopt Christianity, Buddhism, or some amalgamated mixture of both.

I foresee that Moravia and Poland are shaping up to be long term rivals, due to differing religions.

@Honest Abe:

1. I used the English name for the country where the Poles live.

2. The current map is not yet up to date with all things. Many local peoples have been incorporated into the greater Polonia/Poland. Including the Pomeranians and Masovians. Whether those groups will assimilate or maintain their own identity is yet up in the air. Stay tuned!

1. That seems unwise given that English in TTL would likely be both not as prominent and not the same as OTL. Plus I like the idea of how the butterflies affected the name of the country. Plus I like how more poetic names like Polonia and Asia/Asiana sound.

2. Why should it be one or the other? I see no reason why why the "Eftal-verse" Polish culture should be completely identical to OTL's given the differing circumstances. Especially given Poland's Buddhist religion. The other ethnicities "Polanize" to a certain extent whilst also bringing portions of their traditonal culture and language into the Polish culture. Makes me wonder how Buddhist teachings would affect Slavic religion. Maybe the twin gods of Chernobog and Belobog could represent the dichotomy of day and night rather than good and evil like is often thought. This would provide Chernobog the much more benevolent role of a night deity, as well as a protector of dreams.

1. The Anglo-Saxon language in this timeline will definitely not resemble English. But I'm writing the timeline in English. So sometimes I use English words.

2. Okay I'm totally lost, I don't see where I implied that the Polonian culture was similar to OTL Polish culture. I do intend to do a post at some point covering some of the religious stuff in more detail. I simply haven't gotten to it yet. It's a lot of research and I often find myself lacking great sources for early Slavic religion and on the types of Buddhism that are popular in this timeline.

1. The Anglo-Saxon language in this timeline will definitely not resemble English. But I'm writing the timeline in English. So sometimes I use English words.

2. Okay I'm totally lost, I don't see where I implied that the Polonian culture was similar to OTL Polish culture. I do intend to do a post at some point covering some of the religious stuff in more detail. I simply haven't gotten to it yet. It's a lot of research and I often find myself lacking great sources for early Slavic religion and on the types of Buddhism that are popular in this timeline.

1. Good point. Looking forward to when the Anglo-Saxons turn into a proper nation state. Whatever happens it'd be good. Just like everything else that happened in this timeine.

2. I'm sorry for being so presumptuous. I wouldn't be so eager to give feedback and suggestions if this wasn't such a magnificent timeline. Am I right in thinking that Buddhism doesn't emphasize good vs evil quite so much as the Abrahamic religions? I must confess that Chernobog is about the only Slavic deity I know about.

Thanks. Buddhism in general doesn't focus on that sort of manichaeistic dichotomy, but as far as I know neither did traditional Slavic religion. Czernobog, the "black god" is as far as I know one of the least well known deities, and some scholarship I've read disputes the idea that he was considered an evil deity at all - attributing that to the Christian interpretation of the time. I don't think Czernobog actually had a very widespread cult.

Regardless, major West Slavic deities like Radigost, Perun, and Veles will remain more important - at least in the short term. The arrival of Buddhism and Buddhist thought may seriously shake up the Slavic pantheon in the long run, just as it did to say traditional Tibetan religion.

Thanks. Buddhism in general doesn't focus on that sort of manichaeistic dichotomy, but as far as I know neither did traditional Slavic religion. Czernobog, the "black god" is as far as I know one of the least well known deities, and some scholarship I've read disputes the idea that he was considered an evil deity at all - attributing that to the Christian interpretation of the time. I don't think Czernobog actually had a very widespread cult.

Regardless, major West Slavic deities like Radigost, Perun, and Veles will remain more important - at least in the short term. The arrival of Buddhism and Buddhist thought may seriously shake up the Slavic pantheon in the long run, just as it did to say traditional Tibetan religion.

I would be lying if I said my fondness for Chernobog didn't stem mostly from Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia. Hardly the most objective introduction to the deity to put it kindly.

Slavic paganism would still survive in one form or another, unlike OTL. Buddhism lacks the "seek out the heathens" rhetoric that ended with the effective extermination of pre-Christian religion in Europe. Perun's position is rock-solid compared to OTL. That sense of continuity would probably help Czcibor's position.

And why are the traditional pagan shrines being abandoned in Moravia? Wouldn't it make more sense to co-opt them and built Christian churches on the sites? Or is that to appease the traditionalists?

My thinking was that the churches would be likely built in population centers and that the locations of old Slavic worship centers would remain used for folk observances for some time. Abandoned is perhaps the wrong word.

My thinking was that the churches would be likely built in population centers and that the locations of old Slavic worship centers would remain used for folk observances for some time. Abandoned is perhaps the wrong word.

What about monasteries? Those don't need to be built in population centers.

Beautiful Lion
The reign of the Beloved Lion

Khagan Shiqar Ishbaroglu Sevuqharslan, better known as Sebouk Arslan, should have retired from Utinum feeling accomplished. The Romans had been humiliated, a mere insult having become the pretext for bringing the Empire to its knees in a manner not seen since the Avar dominion over the Isidorians. However, Sebouk Arslan was restless by nature. His early victory over the Romans had served to give him confidence in his capabilities as a leader, and led him to believe he was capable of even greater feats.

Opportunities would soon present themselves. Many powers had been watching as Emperor Carolus struggled to piece together the substantially weakened Empire that was his brother's legacy. The Franks of Asiana were few on the ground at the best of times - but Mansuetus' death and the loss of most of their best men put their very survival into question. As part of his program to restore the fortunes of his empire (and enrich the mercantile cities upon which he depended) Carolus began levying a heavy toll upon trade that passed through the Bosporus without a certain seal, which was of course distributed only to certain trading ventures with Imperial patronage. It was, in many respects, a brilliant plan. The merchants of the Asian cities had to vie for Imperial favor and simultaneously came to enjoy an enormous advantage over other powers seeking to trade on the Black Sea.

Sahu merchants operating out of the port cities of the Crimea were incensed. The toll made their own trade ventures almost unprofitable, and allowed Asiatic Roman merchants to begin edging their way into the riverine trade. After they presented their grievances to the Khagan, Sebouk Arslan with customary swiftness raised an army and marched south into Thrace, pillaging en route. When he arrived at Constantinople, he demanded that Carolus exempt his merchants from the toll. The Emperor, knowing that good relations with the Khirichan were an integral part of the mercantile economy of his nation, was almost willing to concede, when Sebouk Arslan suddenly added the clause that the Emperor reimburse the Sahu merchants for their economic losses, and furthermore pay the associated costs of the Turkish "campaign" into Thrace. Any hope for compromise collapsed at once, more or less as the Turkish Khagan had wanted from the beginning. Even if the walls of Constantinople made this war a stalemate, he could likely get the more reasonable terms he'd proposed at first - war was not profitable for trade either.

Sebouk Arslan was confident of victory, but Constantinople, even with walls in moderate disrepair was still a tough nut to crack - and well fortified. The Frankish Emperors had built a fortified keep in the Blachernae district, an area once considered the weakest section of the walls. Even with the city shrunken and depopulated it boasted a decent number of citizens willing to come to its defense against a pagan horde. Furthermore the Franks had at least five thousand of their own men in the city, and more would sail in as the days went on. Capable of reinforcing and resupplying the city from the sea, the Franks had little reason to fear Sebouk Arslan's overwhelmingly mounted army.

With news of Sebouk Arslan's invasion, those Eftal still remaining in Anatolia rose up in rebellion against Carolus. They were relatively few in number compared to the days of the Rhom Shahdom - much of the best pastureland and estates had obviously been confiscated, and their population was accordingly diminished. But especially in the east, where many had fled into the hill-country, a general rebellion began. Carolus left Constantinople in the hands of his Master of the Palace, the Roman Ioannes Mourtzouphlos and crossed into Asia at the head of a significant army. Carolus' abandonment of Constantinople was an understandable miscalculation of the dangers - an Eftal rebellion in the heartland of his empire posed more of a threat than an army outside impressively well-defended Constantinople.

In his absence, the defenders realized that the Khagan, contrary to expectations, had come prepared for the defenses of Constantinople. The Sahu had, at his instruction, been building a proper navy for several years now - yet another indication that an assault against Constantinople was a long-premeditated endeavor rather than the justified failure of trade and negotiation that the Turkic Khagan tried to present it as. This fleet sailed into the Bosporus after the first uneventful months of siege wore on, trapping the Franks in their own city. Attempts by the Roman navy to break the blockade were unsuccessful - the maritime tradition of the Crimea was strong, and their ships were well made with fine timber from Gardaveldi. After several months, rationing became severe.
While Carolus ultimately faced little threat from the scattered Eftal rebels, driving them back further into the hill country, the noose tightened around Constantinople. After a pitched naval battle the Roman fleets were driven into disarray and suffered terrible losses. Carolus, returning west found himself denied the ability to cross the straits and return to the besieged city - instead he was forced to land further south and march inland. In a field battle, however, he was utterly out of his element. The Khirichan Turks inflicted horrific losses on the Romans near the ruins of the Anastasian Wall and finally, humiliated, Carolus was forced to come to terms or risk losing Constantinople outright.

For his part, Sebouk Arslan had little desire to directly assault Constantinople. The city was a prize, and strategically located, but even in disrepair its defenses could still humiliate him, and if he miscalculated he might lose his strong position. He had already demonstrated his ability to bring Asiana to heel, and his terms were harsh. Sebouk Arslan still demanded heavy tribute and now expected the formal submission of the Emperor as well. Carolus, fearing his own power was on the decline, nearly agreed, but the Roman cities refused to allow him to do so. If the Emperor surrendered here, what would stop the Khirichan from returning in but a few years and wreaking fresh havoc?

Instead, the delegates from these cities made a coalition with the great Frankish landowners and proposed an alternative, raising money for a fresh fleet and army. Many of the Eftal who had long fought the Empire on its frontiers were now hired as mercenaries and promised land grants if they served well.

As negotiations stalled, Sebouk Arslan completed a mining project which brought down a large section of the walls. After three previous bloody failures, this success allowed his soldiers to stream into Constantinople and slaughter the remaining defenders. Ioannes Mourtzouphlos was captured, as were many nobles who were later ransomed. With the fall of his capital, Carolus was cut off from the mainland and surrounded from land and sea near Heraclea. Without the council of his lords and cities to bolster his resolve, and not knowing of any forthcoming rescue, he surrendered as the Khirichan drew up siege lines for what would assuredly be a slaughter.

The Roman army surrendered their arms and armor and was allowed to sail back in disgrace. Carolus agreed to a heavy tribute and many other terms, but on his arrival home, he was murdered. The exact circumstances are unclear - foul play is suspected, as many had much to gain from ending the line of Frankish Emperors, whose reign had largely been ineffectual.

Asiana was poised to undergo massive changes. Defeated in its foreign wars and uncertain of its place in the world, it would not again take on Imperial pretensions. The succession of foreign rulers whose alien languages and rites had dominated since the fall of Eastern Roman Empire could be ended. Of course there were still the Frankish marcher lords and Eftal pastoralists, but both of these peoples could be co-opted, and perhaps in time, civilized. It would merely take a strong leader to do so.

Yikes, first Rome sacked and now Constantinople (again).

Things really aren't going well for Christian Europe in the 9th Century. I hope that haven't shot they're bolt with the Votive Wars, as otherwise it seems that they're in a persistent state of stagnation.

At least Asiana gets a chance to recover from it's defeat. Hopefully it can develop a unique Asianaian culture out of the Frankish, Roman and Eftal influences. The defeat might actually help achieve that, and help spark the creation of a distinctive culture forged by adversity. If the Frankish Votive dynasty was ended who's going to be the monarch? And was the country labeled the "Franco-Roman Empire" in the last map to distinguish the Frankish-lead regime from the later Asianian Kingdom? I'm definitely rooting for Asiana to survive, no matter what form it takes.

@Bmao

Things weren't going well for Christian Europe in our 9th century either. Christianity as a whole is doing a lot better (as is inevitable in most no-Islam timelines, more or less) - a Christian Egypt is one of the most powerful states in this timeline and relatively unmolested by war or any other bad thing.

@Abe

Yes, yes it was. As for the rest... it's a cliffhanger! :D

Generally speaking, as this broad history leaves its Eftal roots behind, things are going to continue changing. I find myself overwhelmed by the number of peoples and places to cover in this timeline however. Does anyone have any advice? I feel bad that whole regions are getting minimal coverage despite enormous divergences but I just don't have the time to write a global history here, and my interest is primarily on the Indo-Iranian Middle East and Africa.

Generally speaking, as this broad history leaves its Eftal roots behind, things are going to continue changing. I find myself overwhelmed by the number of peoples and places to cover in this timeline however. Does anyone have any advice?
Okay, this is maybe more of a philosophical question than anything else, but do you think the Americas should be affected by the butterfly effect and have their history changed before contact?

More generally, I hope this TL continues, it's one of the best currently active on the site:)

Well theoretically probably yes. Practically, I think everything will be roughly similar. The big changes to the Americas will come immediately after the Alt-Columbian exchange begins. Diseases will kill different people; societies will collapse and reform in different ways.

Viking contact with the Americas will happen roughly on schedule, from there, who knows?

Generally speaking, as this broad history leaves its Eftal roots behind, things are going to continue changing. I find myself overwhelmed by the number of peoples and places to cover in this timeline however. Does anyone have any advice? I feel bad that whole regions are getting minimal coverage despite enormous divergences but I just don't have the time to write a global history here, and my interest is primarily on the Indo-Iranian Middle East and Africa.

The range of changes at play in this TL are huge. I think we can't begrudge you the authorial fiat to occasionally use the ol' butterfly net on areas far outside your expertise, like China.

I don't think anything too crazy should happen in the Americas. Pure chaos effects suggests the weather would be different which would change the course of history... but in ways we have no way of predicting. In which case we really might as well cast a butterfly net up to the point where the rest of the world makes contact.

If you're looking for ways to keep your excellent TL manageable, keep America out for the moment. I believe it's OK to only summarily touch upon Western Europe and China and leave Korea and Japan out, too.

Khardi
Gardaveldi

Far to the north, those Norsemen who sought a better life across the sea were drawn, in the main, to two places: the British Isles, where the Pentarchy and the Celts struggled to stem the growing Viking tide, and Gardaveldi, the land of the walled cities. Gardaveldi was a land of opportunity - the native Slavs of the Ilmen were overrun early on by the sheer volume of Norse adventurers and brigands. But in the wake of these rough men came another wave - traders, settlers, farmers. It was these people who would create the distinctive Slavo-Nordic culture of Gardaveldi. It was the settled kings of these small but growing townships who would also embrace the teachings of Boddo, brought north by the peoples of the Swan-Road. Beginning with the conversion of the King of Smaleskja, the practices spread north rapidly. By 854, the High King of Holmgard himself, Halfdan the son of Hrolf, entertained Buddhist monks and scholars in his halls. The poetry of the Northmen took on distinctly foreign elements, and blended them to the point that no bhikku in the serene monastery-cities of the Vanga might have recognized them as the same creed.

Although distant and philosophically far removed from the world of the Norse, Buddhism had a strong appeal to the Norse of Gardaveldi, a people who were generally curious about foreign concepts to begin with - clearly evident from their rapid adoption of Slavic architectural and artistic forms. If it were not for written history, there would be little evidence for the mass settlement that occurred. It was but a small change, comparatively, to add but a single additional semi-divine figure to the pantheon, and it provided an ideological justification for increased centralization of power by the High King - the new Buddhist religious mandate to rule justly worked within the context of the current monarchy.

Gardaveldi however, would not be easily unified. The harsh climate and lack of any centralized order to the waves of colonization ensured that local leaders would emerge and find it easy to retain control over their own regional concerns. Kings were numerous and could command small warbands nevertheless sufficient to ensure their own autonomy. While the Holmgard monarchy had the power to rule the Swan-road, they lacked the strength to assert control over the hinterlands without risking an alliance of many petty rulers against them.

Unification was a slow process, nowhere near complete until roughly 860, when a King by the name of Arnmundr finally proclaimed himself the Wheel-Ruler (a corruption of Chakravartin) of Gardaveldi. With the bloody work of conquest done, he found himself ruler of an armed camp. Countless subjugated lords beneath him each had their own private armies, loyal to nothing beyond their local community, and these lords, Arnmundr knew would be more than willing to fall on each other again at a moment's notice. Accordingly, much of his reign was spent trying to mediate disputes and establish standardized laws - the Royal Laws, which superseded local common law. In these endeavors he was partially successful. More successfully, he encouraged his people to expend their martial strength on those beyond the bounds of his dominion, allowing Gardaveldi to sprawl southwards towards the Khirichan.

Torrathur, son of Arnmundr, was the first of the Gardaveldi kings to war directly against the Turks, at least according to the Gardaveldi. Leading an expedition south down the Swan-road, his raiding party was utterly outmatched against the swift steppe horsemen of his rivals. Henceforth, peace would remain the general state of affairs between the two powers. Despite small-scale raiding on both sides, both polities remained more invested in the riverine trade than warfare.

Kurds

The foundation of Greater Xvarvaran would represent the beginnings of a native Iranian renaissance against the Turkic power of the Aghatsaghids. However, the Khardi, despite their dominant position in Mesopotamia faced many challenges, not the least of which came from their Eftal subjects. Despite their common origins and similar culture, the assimilation of the Eftal centuries ago had left them with antique Sasanian prejudices regarding the Khardi, and it was a bitter pill to swallow that so much of Ifthalistan was conquered by a people who had long been regarded as utterly marginal. The incorporation of the Eftal into the administration and the relative autonomy of Eftal grandees sweetened the deal to some degree, but according to most contemporary histories, the Eftal remained resentful but impotent.

The Mughriyani dynasty was founded as an act of rebellion by the Padivayan of Mosil, and accordingly it had a strong central military from its inception, effectively a local continuation of the semi-feudal army structure which had long served Turkic masters. The Aghatsaghid-trained bureaucracy of the region in time fell into line and simply came to serve new masters, as did the Ifthal cavalry. During the early rebellion and for much of the reign of Hwereman Mughriyani, the first Shah, the various Khardi tribes actually took shockingly little part in the campaigns - the Khardi were notoriously disunited, a legacy of their hill-tribe origins. While they could be relied upon to defend their local territory and commit acts of horrific violence against Aghatsaghid loyalists both real and imagined, they were of limited utility in a concerted campaign. It would only be with time and the centralizing influence of the Mosil monarchy that they would be reformed into an effective fighting force capable of extended campaigning.

The Persian Gulf in particular suffered during the rebellion. Under the Eftal, the region had been a nexus of foreign trade and local manufacturing. The region had never recovered after the collapse of its Eftal patrons, becoming first a hotbed of sectarian Mahadevism, and, in the wake of the Kurdish invasions, a ruin. Husrava Mughriyani, Hwereman's eldest son, would do his best to repair the region, establishing royally sponsored cities includingChermera and Dasinivat along the coastal deltas of the Tigris and Euphrates. A slow, halting recovery would begin, spurred by royal patronage and by investment by small Indian and Arab merchant communities.

Hwereman would have three sons in total, Husrava, Rojdav, and Merxhas. While there was never any doubt that the eldest would inherit, the younger sons would be granted lands and titles, a significant change from the Eftal manner of succession, wherein royal brothers were expected to serve at the pleasure of their Shah and were given no inherent special privilege. This system of succession would encourage Xvarvaran to expand its borders through warfare - each son competing to carve out as large of a domain as possible to inherit - but it would also lead to instability. Within three years of Hwereman's death, Rojdav would be murdered and Merxhas and Husrava would enjoy rough parity in strength, the former ruling Ifthalistan, and the latter Xvarvaran.

The Yazdati religion in this period was first codified. Collected documents reveal a wide variety of local folk beliefs with few commonalities. The veneration of pseudo-divine figures such as Buddha and Jesus was commonplace, but these deities were interpreted drastically different. Mihir was alternately a human hero-deity or the incarnation of the Sun or represented as a peacock. The planets were either simple celestial bodies or deities themselves, carved of black stone in beautiful abstraction. Reincarnation was commonly assumed, but other sects assumed that the righteous would become one with the god, while others believed that could not happen until the end of days, when the Maitreya Buddha would return with the Bodhisattva Masih [Christ] at his right hand.

Creating standardized belief was seen by the Mosil Shahs as a way to unify the realm, however it was in many senses a hopeless ambition. The Mosil codices, as they became known, took too much inspiration from the the Hinayana Buddhism of the local Eftal in an attempt to appease them, and was widely rejected by the Kurds, who felt more affinity to traditional Iranian paganism. Later written religious texts would not evolve for a hundred years, and in the interim Yazdatism would remain a deeply regional religion. And yet Yazdatism survived, and indeed grew wildly, because of its broad umbrella. In Egypt certain sects were seen merely as heretical Christianity, although the majority were more aptly called outright paganism.

[Just a short update covering some peoples I've not paid enjoy attention to. Hope everyone enjoys the continuing Kurdwank! :p

Using Yazdatism (which is probably not a term that should exist in this timeline) is just my concession to not being terribly clever at coming up with allohistorical names. I think TTL's Kurdish "pagan" religion (here a mix of folk Zoroastrianism, Christianity, and Buddhism, rather than being deeply inspired by Islam) is a plausible evolution. The hill tribes that would become the Khardi after all were largely ignored by the Eftal, who were too busy applying Sasanian-era prejudices towards those on the periphery of their dominions to bother using them as anything other than occasional mercenaries.

Economically, the region is seriously under performing compared to our history, when the Middle East was becoming an economic center of the world. The Mughriyani dynasty represent perhaps the first dynasty with the capacity and interest to turn that around. So stay tuned!]

I'm loving it!
The blond and bearded wheel-ruler, I can see him before my eyes, and orange becoming the colour of fashion among court poets...