I loved the update, like so many other updates before in this magnificent timeline, which combines interesting lessons about real (OTL) history with very plausible and fascinating alterations.

If my Res Novae Romanae timeline ever reaches India, I´m considering to heavily borrow on your sangha/ayat model.
I´d love it to last a little longer, but I think your reasoning is plausible that if the system is geared towards growth, then it´s not going to be a stable, peaceful coexistence, but rather full of attempted and sometimes succeeding takeovers.

Inner structuring sounds highly plausible to me. Yay, for once a history of India that doesn`t just vary the fortunes of the old dynasties, but completely relegates them to the shelves of tradition!

With some city states achieving hegemony, and the incredible economic power and social, political and economic dynamics of TTL`s India, as compared to the rest of the world, I think we`re going to see much more Indian takeovers in the next decades. Southern India, where the taboo against sea travel isn´t prevalent, could be prone to maritime expansion, while one or some of the Northern imperialising republics could expand Eastwards into Tibeto-Burmese speaking lands and/or North-Westwards into the lands of the Kapisa Shahis et al., mopping up what is left East of the Oadhyan Empire...

@Soverihn
Christianity will likely spread I think because the traders from the Sahel bringing new technologies and being the commercial intermediaries are likely to convert to curry favor with the post Mauri states. Additionally, its worth noting that for many larger states, commerce was a major source of income (African states tended to have very low taxes), so one would have incentive to maximize trade opportunity as much as possible. A common religion can be a powerful tool.

Very true. I guess I'm just thinking the time-scale may be a long one. Particularly as there's so many Berber pagans who OTL showed no interest in converting to Christianity for centuries and they're the primary middlemen. Unless the religion comes from Makuria, but even Makuria recently converted, so the Christian tradition there is still shaky and confined to a pseudo-hellenized elite.

@Salvador79:

Thanks! The idea works even better in terms of plausibility if you start it before the Gupta, imo. I wasn't intentionally trying to end up with a republican India - my original plan was "feudalism for everyone!" but reading about the republican and egalitarian traditions of the subcontinent it was too exciting to pass up.

I´d love it to last a little longer, but I think your reasoning is plausible that if the system is geared towards growth, then it´s not going to be a stable, peaceful coexistence, but rather full of attempted and sometimes succeeding takeovers.

The system will last, I think. The growth into tribal areas is as OTL, only instead of massive land seizures by Brahmins and other various feudal lords, it's by the sangha as a whole. This has two major ramifications: 1. no added power for the priestly class and 2. these people are freed up to remain productive, rather than made into the indian equivalent of serfs. (with a little planning land can be managed a lot more efficiently than the average subsistence farmer can)

It is rather competitive within itself right now - but I think that's inevitable. With the fall of the Maukhani everyone has to figure out where they stand. It will probably settle more over time.

Inner structuring sounds highly plausible to me. Yay, for once a history of India that doesn`t just vary the fortunes of the old dynasties, but completely relegates them to the shelves of tradition!

But man if it doesn't make research a LOT harder. I read things about India and then basically have to invert them, since historically feudalism just became more and more entrenched across the whole subcontinent and urban populations began to move into the countryside.

With some city states achieving hegemony, and the incredible economic power and social, political and economic dynamics of TTL`s India, as compared to the rest of the world, I think we`re going to see much more Indian takeovers in the next decades. Southern India, where the taboo against sea travel isn´t prevalent, could be prone to maritime expansion, while one or some of the Northern imperialising republics could expand Eastwards into Tibeto-Burmese speaking lands and/or North-Westwards into the lands of the Kapisa Shahis et al., mopping up what is left East of the Oadhyan Empire...

I'm always confused by the taboo about sea travel, but it seems that everyone always finds a way to justify it - and plus there's plenty of Buddhists and whatnot in OTL India who won't have an issue with crossing the "black water".

Tibet is at the apogee of its power, but I suppose expansion into Burma isn't implausible. Maritime expeditions, successful or not, definitely seem likely. Yes, these Indian states will be wealthy and in some cases well-equipped to expand, the question is will they? Is there anything they can get with hard power they can't with soft power? There might well be, I'm just not certain how I'd encourage it.

Yeah, pre-Gupta sounds easier indeed.
Back to your TL: I meant Tibeto-Burmese language speakers, like the Pyu in Burma. But if someone expands there, that's where they'll get into trouble with the Tibetan Empire if the latter has connquered Nanchao.
I assumed that if they expand at each other"s cost, then they'll even more likely expand into weaker regions. But economically speaking, that does make less sense. Well, maybe the Kapisa Shahu's lands because it's the overland trade route to China...

Back to your TL: I meant Tibeto-Burmese language speakers, like the Pyu in Burma. But if someone expands there, that's where they'll get into trouble with the Tibetan Empire if the latter has connquered Nanchao.
I assumed that if they expand at each other"s cost, then they'll even more likely expand into weaker regions. But economically speaking, that does make less sense. Well, maybe the Kapisa Shahu's lands because it's the overland trade route to China...

I tried to cover all my bases there by mentioning both - I can definitely see the establishment of some sort of settlement around a natural harbor on the Burmese coastline perhaps as a colony. The Pyu actually lie along a decently important trade route, and importantly one that doesn't fall into the sphere of either of the various rising maritime city-states like Indranokura (TTL's major Cambodian city) and Srivijaya (as OTL), both of which would be still quite capable of contesting things on their home turf.

The easiest targets currently are those closest to home. That has changed by around 730-740, as things calm down. The Kapisa Shahi, it should be noted, rule plenty of sangha communities (including some of the earliest to emerge) and are quite Indianized. Their survival depends on how they manage this new world in which they live.

Expansion
The Khirichan

By the eighth century, the Sahu Shahdom had lost many of the traits which had allowed them to dominate the western steppes in the first place. The very social changes which would ensure the long term survival of their ethnic group had damned their state. The transition towards sedentary urbanism and export trade distinguished them from so many of their fellow nomadic peoples - and yet it also left them fundamentally vulnerable. Apart from the slavers and bandits in the west, who remained warlike out of necessity and practicality, the martial edge of the Sahu people was on the decline. Their retainers were more accustomed to managerial roles than warfare, and only the more traditionalist of the nobility decried this situation, blaming it on the pacifism of Buddhism or the decadence that wealth brought. Attempts by the monarchy to rectify this situation through the hiring of Turkish mercenaries proved costly and too little too late.

In the summer of 695, Shah Vashtawar II of the Xasar-Sahu was defeated in a major battle by Khagan Ozmis of the Khirichan Turks. For the first time, the Turks would cross in numbers over the Rav [Volga] rivers. They would lay siege to Apaxauda and obtain its submission. Vashtawar would become a tributary. The Sahu, many tribes of whom were entirely sedentary by this point, folded with remarkable swiftness. Those were had retained a larger portion of their nomadic origins fled westward, but most would eventually be incorporated into the Khirichan confederacy.

Ozmis Khagan was remarkably lenient in victory. The Sahu possessed great wealth, both from their irrigated farmland in the fertile soils around Danube, and from the trade that flowed through their cities. As a child Ozmis had been raised as a hostage with the Sahu, and possessed an appreciation for trade and the comfortable life to be found in the wealthy, high-walled cities his new subjects had raised out of the trackless steppe. Rather than pillaging and destroying what he encountered, he took a long view his successors would share - the Khirichan had much to gain from leaving the Sahu intact. In the west, the Khagan retained Sahu tribal leaders as "Satraps", tributary to the Khagan. In the east, rule was more direct, but the greater cities were left with a great deal of autonomy, paying extravagant tribute but managing their own affairs.

The Khirichan would breathe fresh life into the Sahu. Eager to expand their influence amongst the Slavic tribes, they expanded northward, building an immense limestone fortress-city called Adeshi upriver from Apaxauda, and similar fortresses along the Danube and Don. They built regular waystations to provide safety for travelers and link the various arterial rivers which provided the primary form of transportation for Sahu commerce. Within a generation the Khirichan would find themselves assimilated to a large degree, adopting Sahu religion and manner of dress. While they retained their language, the assimilation reached a point where Roman merchants from Anatolia often had trouble distinguishing the two ethnic groups, and would simply call both "Scythians".

The Khirichan maintained close relations with both the Oadhyan and Rhom Empires to their south. In 703, Ozmis' heir, Ishbara married an Oadhyan princess, and both empires would engage in significant trade. Several similar marriages between the Oadhyan and the Rhomi cemented a sort of three-way alliance organized around preserving a rough status-quo. The rulers of all three powers would remain in semi-regular correspondence, and by 710 the Shah of Syria would join their ranks. Relative peace had returned to the Eftal world.

The Crossroads of Civilization - 680-720

It is perhaps not an exaggeration to call Shah Toramana of Syria the true founder of the Oadhyan Empire. Mihiraban was the author of the rebellion, but it was Syrian warriors that provided the manpower necessary to carve out the Empire. Accordingly, Tormana gained certain spoils in victory from the grateful Oadhya monarch. The well-fortified city of Nasibin was ceded to him, and Mihiraban respectfully addressed him as "elder brother" in their correspondence, sending him elaborate "gifts" during festival seasons which amounted to repayment of the financing Tormana had provided. His successor would continue this tradition until 696.

Syria was a sort of second Eftal heartland, away from the Iranian plateau. The original Syriac population were almost a minority now, outnumbered by the various nomadic tribes who had settled there over the course of Eftal history. Alans, Turks, Gaoche, Asvha, and many others had come to their land and in time all had come to consider themselves first and foremost Eftal. They had made the backbone of Heshana's and the vanguard of the Eftal wars with the Roman Empire. Though relatively poor compared to many of the kingdoms around them, they had a strong martial legacy.

The Syrian Eftal, much like those of Rhom, could be called Buddhists, but theirs was a Buddhism heavily influenced by their traditional Iranian deities, and the worship of several Hindu gods, typically in more central asian forms. Shiva and Kubera were some of the most popular. The intercession of war gods such as Vraham and Mihir was also prominent, as was the Sun god Hvar, who had several festival days throughout the year. Tir and Nahid both functioned as fertility deities. These gods and the ceremonies associated with them played a critical role in upholding the synthesized culture traditions of the Syrian Eftal and defining them as separate from the Christianized Syrian subjects over which they ruled, while the Buddhist theology provided deeper meaning and a philosophical element which otherwise would have been lacking.

The Eftal of Syria were not an urban people. Pastoralism was common, and those who considered themselves to be urban lived in rural castle-palaces which were little more than fortified towns. They largely eschewed the cities, and since the passing of Akhsaman the Elder increasingly viewed their relations to Tormana in the same feudal context as did the Oadhyans. While this decentralized, feudal system made them difficult to conquer, it also made gathering tax revenues difficult. The Syrian monarchy was relatively poor. Most of its subjects preferred to contribute soldiers rather than money, and they looked with envy on their wealthier neighbors.

It would not be until roughly 710 that overland commerce began to be a significant part of the Syrian economy. With few cities of any note, the monarchy depended on tolls garnered from riverine trade up the Euphrates for income. As the Oadhyans remained at peace along their western frontier, a trickle of the regions historic trade was restored, bringing a limited measure of prosperity to a widely impoverished region.

To the south, the Emesa Shahdom was wealthy but militarily weak. Akhsaman the Younger ruled cities such as Tyros and Damascus that had largely avoided any sacks. The city of Emesa was still an opulent example of Syavush's legacy, golden-domed and shining, but Akhsaman could not call on many Eftal retainers. Forced to manage a large population with only the support of a small ruling elite, like his predecessors he turned to the Arabs for assistance. In 707, Akhsaman, an aging man, would convert to Nestorian Christianity and remarry into the Tayy tribe. The great Sun Temples of Emesa would be turned into Churches, their iconography smashed and replaced with images of Christ and Mary.

Akhsaman's new wife, Fatima, brought with her an implicit promise of support from the Tayy, one which kept both the Heshanids in the south and the Syrians in the north at bay, and as the Tayy found themselves pressured by the growing power of the Saihists, southern Syria formed a safe haven to which many would flee. For a time, there was peace throughout the near east. The Syrians and Emesa remained on good terms, Toramana and Akhsaman having been good friends as children. The Heshanids did not wish to upset the status quo and potentially harm their trade prospects, and furthermore had always maintained good relations with the Tayy.

However, when Akhsaman died in 713, the Heshanids pressed their ancestral claim on Emesa, their one-time capital. King Timotheos Heshana denounced the Akhsamanids as usurpers and traitors to their dynasty, who sided with Artavazda against their rightful Shah, and sent his army north, where they encountered minimal resistance. The Monophysite population of Phoenicia and Syria greeted them as liberators, and many of the Eftal fled north, where they were welcomed by Toramana. After a brief siege, Emesa fell and the Heshanid Empire reached its greatest extent since the time of Syavush.

Toramana, for his part, spent his last years worrying about the power of the Heshanids. Syria was the last province of theirs that they did not control. However, he would pass away in 717, leaving the throne to Avyaman Kithara, a nephew on his wife's side and a prominent landholder who he viewed as a strong warrior and a traditionalist. His choice was clearly made out of fear of the Heshanids, but it was viewed as an insult by his only son, Mahijada, who shortly after the pronouncement would sail north with a group of followers, seeking his fortune among the Avars.

Consolidation and Expansion

In 680, the greater region of Armenia was divided into two Khanates. Both had emerged out of the anarchy of the Eftal collapse, and both were an affront to the Oadhyan Empire, frequently raiding and threatening the security of the northern border. Accordingly, after several years of consolidation, Mihiraban went north and defeated both in turn. Balgatsin Khan, once a great warlord, had become fat with age and ruled a territory wracked with internal rebellions. His counterpart, the so-called "Eastern Alan Khanate" was a patchwork of tribal leaders who were incapable of mounting a determined resistance. By 686, two years after the beginning of Mihiraban's campaign, they were defeated and annexed. Local Armenian landholders were elevated to Vayanates and garrisons were established in the major cities. When Mihiraban returned south to Ahmatan, he had every reason to feel triumphant.

However, this was a high water-mark, though Mihiraban could not have known it. His campaign against the Alans was the last major offensive campaign of the Oadhyan Empire, and the last time he would leave his palace in Ahmatan. He would spend the next seven years of his life wracked with an "illness of the mind" and finally would die in 693. His son, Mihiragula, would take the throne. Young, bright, and energetic, Mihiragula would find his talents squandered by events he had little personal control over. Turkish raids along the Eastern border preoccupied much of his time, and his vassals proved unruly. They had followed Mihiraban unquestioningly, but their loyalty was largely personal, and unlike Satraps, rebellious lords could not merely be recalled to Susa as an Eftal Emperor might have done.

Throughout the Eftal world, trade bloomed once more, but it was limited compared to what had once been. The great cities of Mesopotamia recovered only haltingly, and most of the agricultural potential of Iran was squandered by pastoralists. Without the great urban centers of the past, the production of domestic luxury goods was largely the province of monasteries, one of the few institutions which maintained a continuity between the Eftal and Oadhyan eras. These monasteries, as in Christian Europe, also provided responsibilities for the Persian learning of the Eftal Golden Age, ensuring that history and scientific discoveries would not be entirely lost. Accordingly, Mihiragula was a great patron of Buddhism, in a more pure form than the synthesized teachings of the west. A vegetarian and a relatively pacifistic man, these traits did not earn him the love even of his Buddhist vassals, many of whom paid merely lip-service to these aspects of their religion.

Ruling until 723, Mihiragula's thirty-year reign is perhaps best remembered as a time of peace. While those vassals on the eastern and southern borders were forced to contend with Turkish and Arabic raids, the decentralized system if nothing else made it difficult for these raids to gain traction. Local forces were capable of stopping most incursions, even as the state apparatus remained small. The era was also characterized by the continued construction of great fortifications where the tribal elite could feel safe from pillaging raiders and also any encroachment of the monarchy upon their newly-gained privileges.

Seems like the Khirichan just ended up taking the place of the Sahu, and the way that the trends are going on, in about another hundred years or so, it will be the Khirichan that are too sedentary and lost their martial edge, and thus be subject to the next nomadic group that comes over.

The Heshanids seem to be really hitting their stride now, having taken back Syria. They seem to have reached the natural limit of their conquests, and it would be ill-advised if they tried to expand any further.

I'm also curious as to what will become of Mahijada and his exploits within the Avar realms.

Urbanism and Avars
[I have to confess I'd intended Mahijada to sort of fall off the radar after that post, but Bmao inspired me. So here's a little history of his younger years, combined with a details about what's going on in Pannonia.]

Avars and Xasars

It is said that in the first years of his exile, the Prince Mahijada came to the city of Constantinople. With him came many companions, perhaps fifty men in all, including his childhood friend Narse and his bodyguard Artakhsatr. They were mostly young and warlike, the retainers of the would be Shah. Mahijada, beloved-of-the-gods, did not match their temperament. He was a holy and refined man, overly severe perhaps, but he had a gift for inspiring devotion in his followers.

Hosts of the Rhom Shah, they dined in sumptuous excellence in the golden halls of the rebuilt Imperial Palace. Disiapata, the Rhom Shah, saw in Mahijada an excellent opportunity. If he could unseat the Syrian Shah, Rhom would have both a fresh source of manpower and a strong buffer against any incursions from the East. However, in 718, but a few months after their arrival, Disiapata would die and with him Mahijada's hopes of reclaiming his throne. Where Disiapata had been bold and decisive, his son Datuvahya, though not untalented, was indecisive and relied on his father's able councilors. A taker of the drug the Hindis called charas and a drunkard to boot, he personally gave Mahijada little hope that Syria would ever be recovered.

So he went north, and perhaps half of his remaining companions followed him. For those who did not there were places in the retainer of Shah Datuvahya. For those who followed him, Avar country beckoned, with its lush verdant valleys and sweeping yellow plains.

Under its latest ruler, Amurtay Khagan, the Avar Empire was crumbling. Xasar warlords fled over the Carpathians to escape the Turks, and Slavs from both the north and the south raided their borders. Langobardia had been lost. The Isidorians could strike with impunity in Dalmatia, and the economy, always dependent on a degree of aggression from the Khaganate, had stagnated. Furthermore, the Avar were poorly positioned to take advantage of the newly developing trade routes. Amurtay was a capable ruler but like most of the Avar Khagans he was a traditionalist and a warrior. His minor victories along his various frontiers were irrelevant because he could not face all of the various threats his realm faced at once, and he had no understanding of how to address the underlying problems.

In 721, Prince Mahijada arrived in Srem, the Avar capital (formerly Sirmium) and Amurtay eagerly hired him on as a sort of advisor and mercenary. The Prince wasted little time in riding east and meeting the many Xasar-Sahu chiefs who had brought their tribes into Avar territory. While he could not speak to them except with the help of a translator, he conveyed to them his own story. Like them, he was an exile. Like them, he longed for home but this was a land of opportunity. They could accomplish far more working with the Khagan than against him.

Turning the nomadic tribes into an army was no easy task, but Mahijada had been groomed to rule from a young age, and he had not forgotten those lessons in exile. Culturally the Xasar-Sahu and Eftal had much in common, and this helped him to be accepted as a leader. Within two years, he had bound the Xasari into a loose confederation - ostensibly mercenaries who would serve the Khagan, and pay token tribute rather than raid. They received large grants of land for pasture, which effectively amounted to a recognition of their new homeland. Then, leaving Narse in Srem as an advisor, the prince led a picked group of the Xasar north against the Slavs.

On this campaign, lasting from 724 to 726, he turned those warriors he brought north into a disciplined army, united by shared experience rather than divided by tribal identity. Riding against the Kniaz of the Vistulan tribe, he dealt them a crushing blow in the field and proceeded to siege hill-fort after hill-fort, carrying off captives and wealth and obtaining the personal submission of the Kniaz. Leaving a garrison in Wislica, their capital, under the command of his bodyguard Artakhsatr, he rode down the length of the Vistula river, conquering the Masovians in turn. There, on the broad plains of Masovia his cavalry were even more effective, but he struggled to take the large and well-fortified towns into which the people retreated.

Although he had little intent to remain in the north, his victories proved his quality to the Avar Khagan, and perhaps most importantly the quality of the Xasar. Having earned the Khagan's trust, he would spend subsequent years at court, and as time went on his ambition to return home was slowly forgotten. He decided he would make his legacy here, in this country. Destiny, dharma, had chosen a different course for him.

Sklavenia

Two generations after the official independence of the Three Slavic Kingdoms, trouble was brewing. Eprius, always the smallest and weakest of the kingdoms, had seen its nobility benefit the least from the Mediterranean revival of trade. Apart from a few coastal cities, it was hilly, thickly forested country which was perfect for bandits and brigands. It was in Epirus that the last pagan holdouts remained, raiding their wealthy Thessalonian and Thracian neighbors, much to the consternation of the Eprioite Kniaz.

Like their northern cousins, who before the coming of the Isidorian Navy had established pirate havens in hidden coves along the Dalmatian coast, these raiders disrupted both commerce and the settled agrarian peoples rather indiscriminately. While theoretically the local nobles should have been responsible for settling this threat, in practice they either failed or found it easier to simply take a cut of the plunder and look the other way as their neighbors were raided. Finally, in 716, the situation reached the breaking point. The Langobards to the north petitioned the Thessalonian Kniaz, Boris, to handle the situation or they would be forced to invade Epirus - a threat which would invariably drag the entire Balkans into war on one side or the other.

Boris gathered his retainers and levies and marched into the Epiroite hills. To counter this incursion, the raiders gathered en masse under the charismatic Gostislav, and in an ambush destroyed or captured much of the army's baggage, before melting into the hills and local communities. Embarrassed and frustrated, Boris ordered the torching of any local village where "signs of unbelief" were apparent. These signs were broad and wide-ranging, and often were merely an excuse for his soldiers to gather fresh provisions and a little loot.

The Epiroite Kniaz, Stylianus, was forced to take action. He gathered his own retainers and linked up with Gostislav's brigands, persuading the bandits that together they could repulse the invaders and that Gostislav and his men could become wealthy landowners in Thessalonica. He was no fanatic, he told them, foaming at the mouth to slaughter heathens. They could keep their old gods if they named Christ among their number. Gostislav, fearing the alternate was a two front war he could not win, and knowing that many of his old bases of operation had been destroyed by Prince Boris, accepted the terms reluctantly. The two armies linked up and moved to defeat Boris. At the Battle of Ohrid (716), Gostislav's irregular bandits were incapable of holding a line against the determined charge of Boris' heavy horse, and the battle was lost. The Epiroite Kniaz was captured along with many of his nobles, and they were made to swear fealty to the Thessalonian crown. All of the bandits taken alive were impaled on stakes as an example to future rebels - one which seems to have horrified and cowed Stylianus, who returned to Arta a broken man.

Boris' campaign had been successful beyond his wildest dreams. Knowing the Avar Khagan was distracted, he followed up on his victory by taking both his own army and the Epiroite forces north, capturing the Langobard capital at Dekateria in 718. The Langobard Doux, Arechis II, was made yet another vassal. When word of this conquest reached Amurtay Khagan, who had been in the north fighting the Sorbs, he sent a emissary south, inciting the Thracian Kniaz Casamir III to join him. Together, they proposed to divide the Thessalonian kingdom between themselves, with the Avars regaining Langobardia and part of Epirus, and the Thracians taking the rest.

However, from the start the alliance was deeply divided. Casamir, deeply devout as his father and grandfather had been, refused to trust the heathen Khagan one iota. He immediately deviated from the agreed-upon plan and instead marched directly on Thessalonia, wagering that Boris and Amurtay would distract each other in the north until he had completed his coup de grace. However, his wager would be wrong. In a lightening campaign Boris advanced on Srem and the outnumbered Khagan retreated, biding his time until Casamir would arrive - but as Boris closed in and his ally was nowhere to be found, he agreed to accept the loss of Langobardia in exchange for a large sum to be paid in golden Roman coins and a select group of hostages, including Boris' third son, Simeon.

Then Boris marched south and, as summer turned into autumn his force reached Thessalonia. Casamir broke his siege and retreated north, but Boris smashed his army in a five day running battle. Casamir fled to Adrianople and after a long siege the city was finally taken and subjected to a brutal sack. The prince's body was never found, and with much of the leading Thracian aristocracy dead in the wake of the siege, Boris took his time reducing their castles and villas one after another, before apportioning them to his loyal soldiers.

When he returned to Thessalonica, he was crowned by the Bishop there as Autocrat Boris I, Grand Prince of All Sklavenia and the Langobards.

Migration and Urbanism in the Avar "Empire"

The latter rulers of the Avar Empire have been rather dimly received by later history. As the distinction between the broader populace of the Avars and the Slavic people they ruled diminished, the monarchy and its associated clique looked more and more to a disappearing Turkic heritage. As their federate vassals began to convert to Christianity, they based their identity more and more around Tengri and their ancestors. This amounted to little more than a reactionary holding action against demographic trends that were simply not in their favor.

The growth of cities such as Mundraga, Belgrad, and Chernagrad speak to an increasingly Slavic civilization growing along the Danube - one which did not necessarily associate itself with the petty kingdoms that would become Sklavenia, but nevertheless was distinct from the diminishing semi-nomadic culture of the Avars. The Danube basin was fertile and could support a not insignificant sedentary population. A curious assimilation would transpire as a result - a people who called themselves Avar or Bulgar, but were largely Nicene Christians of Slavic ancestry whose architecture and art was a blend of both styles with the Roman heritage of the region.

Into this curious cultural breeding ground plunged thousands of Xasar-Sahu migrants fleeing the Turks to the east. While the majority of the Xasar-Sahu would remain in their homelands and accept their new rulers, mass displacements nevertheless occurred. Primarily Buddhist and Iranian in origin, they were numerous enough to overwhelm the still semi-nomadic Avar population of the Trans-Carpathians and much of the Tisza river basin. These less urban regions were more vulnerable to their conquest, and were easily assimilated. This assimilation was followed by a revival of the Xasar urban tradition, reflected in the establishment of cities such as Biharabad (on the Tisza) and Shahidjan (near the ruins of Roman Aquincum). Shahidjan in particular would prosper, owing to its critical position along the Danube.

As the Xasar settled regions which were the traditional powerbase of the monarchy, their loss was crippling. The fact that the Avars would ultimately subdue the Xasar and persuade them to serve as mercenaries did not solve the crisis but in fact only exacerbated it - by legitimizing and utilizing the Xasar the Khagan essentially put the stability of his state into their hands. By allowing them to settle and raise fortified cities in his territory, the Khagan allowed the newcomers to entrench.

The Khagan attempted to remain aloof, embracing neither the new Xasari arrivals or his Slavic population. But the arrival of the exiled Eftal Prince Mahijada, himself a Buddhist, would begin to swing Amurtay Khagan's opinion in favor of the Xasari, alienating the majority of his population...

Things are stirring along the Danube... there is potential for both devastating warfare or a new empire. Buddhists in OTL Hungary, cool. Looks like the tribal Central Europe gets a new relevant neighbour.

Deleted member 67076

There go the Avars... either by implosion or usurpation.

Hmm, the Balkan Unification has plenty of things going for it. Its fresh, got lots of available manpower, will be seeing an economic revival as the state reinvests in the land (probably in defense and infrastructure, as those are the most relevant things to a feudal landscape; either way, these are beneficial to the accumulation of wealth) and has plenty of targets to keep rowdy nobles busy.

Avars, Turks, and Bulgars up north, and the Rhom Shahdom in the east.

[You guys both are right. The time of the Avars as we know of them is pretty much over - but that's a vacuum I can't see being empty for long. Not with the Sklaveni rising in the south and the Xasari in the north.]

But now, without further ado, inspired by the "Alternate Languages and Scripts" thread which I didn't want to clutter quite this badly...

Eftal Language

An East Iranian language, the Eftal language can roughly be divided into two major dialects - Eastern and Western.

Eastern Eftal is written left-right in a modified version of the the Sogdian script with 22 characters. Since its inception it has incorporated Sanskrit, Bactrian, and Sogdian loanwords. It has come to be a lingua franca for a large region of Central Asia, owing to the profusion of Eftal and Eftalized peoples who have adopted it. However, recent Turkic incursions and the resurgence of a Sinicized Sogdian as the language of Central Asian trade have imperiled Eastern Eftal as a literary and court language.

Western Eftal, spoken from Constantinople to Kerman, written in a 23 character script which bears inspiration from both the inscriptional Pahlavi script and Aramaic. It has adopted words, styles, and grammar liberally from Middle Persian, to the point that it is perhaps best considered a continuation of that language rather than the Eftal language.

It has a distinct literary form that was used as the court language under the Eftal Empire, but now is primarily preserved by monasteries and a small educated elite. The literary script is notoriously difficult to decipher without context, leading to many of the difficulties later historians have had in transliterating Eftal names.

Architecture in the Eftal World

[I'm not writing this as if its an in-setting piece]

Of the "Three Great Invasions" (Germanic, Slavic, and Iranian) which reshaped the western world, the Iranian invasion contributed the most to a unique, enduring style of architecture, spreading Persian culture as far west as Constantinople. A style that OTL is typically associated with mosques and the Caliphates is in this timeline associated with Buddhist temples and Eftal palaces. It is notable for its use of elaborate geometric patterns in stucco and the prominent use of blind arcades.

The Eftal spread the dome on squinches as far west as Constantinople, where it would be a notable eastern touch incorporated into an otherwise Romanesque reconstruction of the city. Like the Sasanians before them they made extensive use of vaulting and mortar masonry, although it is not until the late Eftal period that we see the "pointed arch" as an intentional feature of buildings. Columns were rare in the East but commonplace in the West, but even there they rarely served a necessary structural purpose and frequently were primarily aesthetic.

The Eftal architectural style spread northwards, to the Xasar-Sahu, and westwards into Syria and Asia Minor, where it would blend with Greco-Roman ideas. The "fortified palaces" for which the Eftal were famous reflect a distinctly Roman style in places such as Syria, where many interconnected buildings are typically arranged around a wide central courtyard, with the keep off-center, rather than a central keep surrounded by lesser buildings and walls.

Last edited:
I liked the linguistic split of the Eftal language. Two separate dialects are starting to grow.

As for the Indian republics, wow! You've changed the face of the sub-continent.

Also, with the Ganarajyas (republics) that are forming on the Gangster plains, wouldn't it make more sense to give them their Mahajanapada names rather than naming them after cities?

As for the Indian republics, wow! You've changed the face of the sub-continent.

Also, with the Ganarajyas (republics) that are forming on the Gangster plains, wouldn't it make more sense to give them their Mahajanapada names rather than naming them after cities?

Quite probably. I had sort of thought of the original powers as tightly bound to urban centers and naming them after cities was a way to show that. But you're right that it makes sense, especially after they get bigger, to give them more "national" names.Although some of the Mahajanapada names that I've seen seem rather outdated. I guess the whole idea of Indian ganasangha ruling everything is a bit weird though, so who knows maybe some of them would make a comeback?

I agree, my current naming structure could use some help. The main purpose of that map was mostly just to give people points of reference though.

China
China: 690-750

[It's important to note that China was almost totally united under the Liang dynasty lasted for some time in this timeline, and accordingly Buddhism became an even more pervasive element of Chinese culture, particularly in the South. As such, the gradual turn of the elite against Buddhism which happens in this timeline is deeply divisive, moreso than any equivalent in OTL.

However, last time I wrote about China I realized the depth of my ignorance on everything Sinic. Here's hoping this post avoids any obvious pitfalls. If not, just understand I'm not really an expert on the subject and explain to me what I've done wrong and I can work on retconning it.]

In Chang'an, the court of the Great Qi was deeply shaken by their defeats against the Bod Empire. That threats might have emerged out of Tibet, a poor land and sparsely peopled, was baffling to them. That those same threats might actually overrun their western borders and come within striking distance of the capital had seemed impossible. And yet it had happened. When he received the news, the Emperor withdrew into solemn contemplation among his beautiful gardens, a labyrinth of gilded courtyards designed to be a reflection of each province of his empire in miniature. Action would have to be taken.

The Qi armies were vast, numbering hundreds of thousands of conscript soldiers around a central core of steppe mercenaries. Maintained by what was perhaps the most efficient and elaborate bureaucracy in the world, it seemed impossible to the scholars and clerics of the Qi court that such a thing could happen. The Prime Minister, Wang Qinming, was forced to resign in disgrace and retire from public service altogether, going into voluntary exile. One of the last of the "Dharma Faction" Qinming and his allies were part of a dwindling minority of devout Chan Buddhists at court. Henceforth the scholar-gentry would take a marked turn towards Confucianism.

The latest Qi Emperor, Yang Sizhi (Gaozong) had presided over an era of artistic and cultural achievement. Poetry, literature, and philosophy reached unparalleled heights - the large educated scholarly class was extremely prolific. A patron of the Confucian philosophy to which the majority of his court scholars ascribed, he became part of a growing movement to resist foreign influence, a movement which only gained strength as the Tibetan and Uighur threats became more pronounced along the frontier. As an alternative to Buddhism, Taoist schools were promoted to the common people. While earlier Emperors had ruled according to Buddhist precepts and as "Universal Rulers" in line with the concept of the Chakravartin was under Yang Sizhi that the scholarly elite made a sharp turn away from Buddhism.

Whatever Yang Sizhi's personal opinion on the military (and in all probability he wished to support it) his predecessors had created too many institutions specifically designed to hamstring the army. The complex bureaucracy favored divisions of military commands, and he could not in many cases overcome the institutional inertia he faced. Commanders were frequently shuffled to new positions, and units were disarmed and disbanded after a mere three short years, meaning that the majority of soldiers up to and including officers of medium rank had no experience with actual combat. Higher officers were often drawn from the scholarly bureaucracy, typically local magistrates who ideally were familiar with the areas in which they were assigned. While this made the military an effective police force and capable of dealing with bandits and insurrections, it crippled it in actual combat.

The warrior-aristocracy of Tibet cut through unprepared, poorly-equipped formations of Qi soldiers with ease, and in the several times that the army was faced with incursions from the northern Turks, it only handled these situations with overwhelming numbers. This need for overwhelming numbers placed an extreme strain on the logistical backbone of the Qi state - a smaller army would have needed far less food and fodder. The peasants who represented the backbone of the economy were placed under immense strain during any time of crisis.

The mood of the Imperial court was one of siege. An attempt to regain lost ground against the Buddhists in 730 had been met with a series of unmitigated disasters. Hundreds of thousands of men had been lost in the mountain passes. Their ghosts would be said to linger for generations to come, lost and far from home. The Tibetans represented by one of the many of the ways in which the outside war was coming to China. The very mercantile economy that brought immense prosperity to some was decried by the scholar-gentry.

The Qi economy was supported by its trade. Exports such as silk, lacquerware, and porcelain all were traded to eager merchants from the west. While many of these goods were produced in other parts of the world as well, the Chinese produced these goods to a standard of remarkable quality, and few other nations could match the sheer volume of production which left their ports. In return came spices, pearls, jewels, horses and many other luxuries from the west. The trade of technology also spread both ways. The first chairs and stools arrived in China around this time, and revolutionary techniques for metalworking and silversmithing were adopted from the Indians. Tamil and Srivijayan merchants would disseminate paper and the woodblock printing press to the world. However, these merchants also were yet another sign of the many foreign influences at war with tradition. As such, the scholar-gentry despised this growing trade and made several efforts to curtail it, establishing strict quota limits and heavy tariffs.

However, chief among the foreign influences loathed by this new class of scholar-gentry was Buddhism, which had enjoyed lavish state support, ever since the Liang dynasty. The monasteries were vast and perhaps most important tax exempt and in the eyes of the state totally unproductive. Many were effectively fortresses in their own right, divorced from the government around them, more opulent than the local estates. The bureaucrats saw them and the "Thousand Temples" as sinks into which revenue was poured in generous donations. Dissolving them would bring both purity and provide the government with much needed revenue. The question was... how? The monasteries were critical sources of charity and aid to the impoverished. Some even kept retainers of warriors. If persecution were to begin, it would have to be carried out in a single stroke.

Plans were made, and distributed in sealed scrolls to the provinces. In the capital, soldiers were gathered. Thousands of copies of the imperial proclamation were press-stamped and riders prepared to distribute them throughout the Empire. "Is this not the creed," the documents asked, "that abolishes the loyalty of sons to fathers, that breaks the bonds between brothers, and those of men to the state?"

With the death of Yang Sizhi, his successor, Yang Xulun (Ruizong) took power, determined to enact his father's will. In certain writings from his time as one Prince among many in the Imperial court, it can be seen that he was virulently anti-buddhist from early in his life. In 743, he dissolved the monasteries and turned the military, a fearsome organization when it came to local enforcement of Imperial proclamations, against the temples and monasteries.

The wealth seized was astronomical. Monasteries were overturned with limited resistance, and the wealth and treasure taken was carted back to Chang'an en masse. For a time, the budgetary woes of the Empire seemed solved. The "great unproductive class" was sent to the fields to become tillers of the soil. To those in power, it seemed perhaps too good to be true. And it was.

The Great Rebellion: 748-764

The impact of Sima Zhixen's "Great Rebellion" has often been greatly exaggerated by contemporary historians, and perhaps not without good reason. For those who survived to tell of the war, it might well have seemed to take on apocalyptic proportions. The state was torn apart and left vulnerable to the raids of the Uighurs and the Tibetans. Frontier provinces such as Annam rose in rebellion and were not retaken. The Mandate of Heaven seemed lost. Most cruelly, millions of peasants lost their lives to war and famine. The disruption of the Qi state allowed a state of near total anarchy to develop across a huge swathe of their Empire for some sixteen years.

The rebellion had its beginnings in the prosecution of Buddhists. While traditionally a nonviolent sect, the religion had a history of uprisings against the state that could not be denied. Agitators and zealots reformers such as the renegade monk Faqing (515) and militant social reformers such as Xiang Huaigu (664) seized upon the potential of the religion to motivate others to violence or resistance. Charismatic preachers claiming to be the Maitreya Buddha were a phenomenon the state was well acquainted with. However, the scale of this rebellion was truly unprecedented, and the degree to which it yoked even those without Buddhist affiliations to its cause startled the scholar-gentry.

Two major factors contributed to the early success of the rebellion: the general dissatisfaction of the peasant class with the frequency of conscription and exorbitant taxes, and the weakness of the Qi army, which allowed the rebellion to spread and prosper.

Beginning in Huainan, the rebellion quickly gained the allegiance of many former monks, a large percentage of whom had become itinerant beggars or otherwise struggled to find a position in society. As the enigmatic figure at the center of the rebellion, Sima Zhixen cultivated a mystical air around him, claiming powers and while he never outright assumed the mantle of the Maitreya Buddha, he never refuted those who claimed he was more than another man. His message was simple and compelling. It was a message of populism and reform mixed with religious grievance. By striking against Buddhism, the monarchy warred against truth itself and thus inherently had lost the Mandate of Heaven. It was time for another to claim that mantle. Sima Zhixen never gave the slightest hint that his personal ambition was to take the Imperial Throne, merely that the time of the Qi was past. The failed wars of the past half century seemed to agree.

Armies were sent east to crush the growing ring of "brigand" control around Huainan. Drawing troops off the northern frontier, the suppression of the rebellion was entrusted toGongsun Yajing, a newly-promoted general who arrived at the outskirts of the city with his troops in near-total disarray. Yajing launched a series of three attacks over the course of 748, each one a costly failure. Ultimately, a large contingent of his soldiers would mutiny, murder him and join the rebellion rather than participate in a fourth attack. The rebellion swelled, moving south like wildfire. In the south Buddhism had always enjoyed the greatest popularity, a legacy of the Liang Emperor.

Ultimately, the greatest victors of the rebellion would be the Uighurs and the Tibetans, both of whom increased their own position at the expense of the Qi. The Tibetans themselves would sack Chang'an in 751. The Annamese rebellion of 749 would prove an enormous bloodbath for the southern Governor-Generals tasked with recovering it, and ultimately the Annamese would gain their independence in 751. The Emperor would flee to Xiangzhou and the city of Chang'an would perhaps never fully recover, although it became the Imperial capital again after peace was signed with Tibet in 756.

The rebellion itself would end ingloriously. Sima Zhixan was assassinated for unknown reasons in 761, and within three years his entire rebellion, perched on the verge of triumph, would crumble inwards into infighting. Many armies switched from ideologically justified revolt to mere pillaging of the countryside, establishing petty warlord kingdoms which rarely lasted longer than a few months before collapsing inwards. The Buddhist factions turned against each other in doctrinal civil war.

The main reason the Qi were able to hold out at all was a series of major military reforms. Gone were the unreliable conscript armies, replaced with Turkic mercenaries funded by the previous pillaging of the monasteries. Over time, these mercenaries were called upon to train a new professional military corps out of peasant volunteers. Unlike the conscripts, which returned home regularly, these professionals, though they might have suffered badly in their initial engagements were able to accumulate experience in combat and ultimately become a strong standing force. The Qi learned from their mistakes, and their new professional armies, backed by a large foreign cavalry contingent, were far superior to the peasant mobs arrayed against them.

By the time the final rebel stronghold of Yangzhou fell to a bloody sack in 764, the Emperor Ruizong had extended tolerance to all faiths at the recommendation of his advisors. While the loss of the monasteries was keenly felt in the intellectual traditions of the south, and many sects would never fully recover, this tolerance maintained the peace, even if simmering undercurrents of resentment remained. Taoism would grow in popularity, especially in the north and east, where it would largely eclipse the role of Buddhism in society. The bureaucracy, shattered by the war, was restructured into the "Six Departments" and given a mandate to work more closely with local community leaders. Slowly but surely, the Qi would recover.

Quite probably. I had sort of thought of the original powers as tightly bound to urban centers and naming them after cities was a way to show that. But you're right that it makes sense, especially after they get bigger, to give them more "national" names.Although some of the Mahajanapada names that I've seen seem rather outdated. I guess the whole idea of Indian ganasangha ruling everything is a bit weird though, so who knows maybe some of them would make a comeback?

I agree, my current naming structure could use some help. The main purpose of that map was mostly just to give people points of reference though.

Well I wouldn't worry about it too much. But here are a few things I noticed that you can change if you feel like it:

Though I did notice your Magadha was out of place on the map, it's in the place a realm called Vrijji should be. And the city of Indraprastha, stronghold of the Pandavas in the Mahabharata, is a city that has a lot of legend attached to it so they will probably retain the name of the Kuru kingdom. Likewise for Kanyakubja, they become Panchala. And I'm surprised Mathura hasn't become a great city state, I thought it was really rising in power during the 8th century.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely incorporate them in future updates and also down the line. Mathura in particular was a big oversight on the map. If anything the cities of that area should be much more prosperous than OTL, given the relative peacefulness of the region.

I'm curious as to how you decide when the winds of history just wind up screwing one group or another over. Both here, with the death of Sima Zhixen effectively destroying the unity of the Buddhist rebels, and in the past, with, say, the successful sack of Constantinople or the betrayal of Husrava. Sometimes I can see structural reasons behind it - the Mahadevists couldn't have effectively run their own state, so they're bound to fall sooner or later - but at others, not so much. I don't mean to complain or suggest that it's unrealistic - plenty of historical people have won or lost in huge ways by sheer chance - but I am curious as to how you decide. Do you roll a dice, use overarching thematic guidelines, try to avoid cliches, or what?

Oh, that's a big question! Prepare for a lot of text on the matter:

Generally, there's not too much of an overarching theme. I have certain broad events planned out about a century ahead of time, but I often change my mind on those. I like the element of chance, of "anything can happen" mostly because it keeps things feeling organic.

It's never purely random. Often the surprises are, like you said, structured. Husrava's state would have fallen one way or another. For another example, even when the Gokturk Khagan was defeated, indirectly leading to the early collapse of his Khaganate and the rise of the Khirichan and the Uighurs among others, demographic and societal trends ensured that some sort of Turkic state would still rise to predominance, just under a different dynasty.

With Sima Zhixen, I chose that course because such things happen. People die, and if they're a charismatic leader like that their death can really undermine a government. Compare that to the Maukhani, who similarly had great success with a brilliant and charismatic leader but had strong institutions to prevent everything from falling apart after his death. With Constantinople, I didn't think that came too far out of nowhere, besides the question of who sacked it, which probably was rather out of left field. The fall of the Roman Empire and the rise of the Isidorians I thought had been strongly foreshadowed. If it hadn't, that's likely my error.

That said, the decline of the Romans in the East is part of my attempt to avoid cliches. I knew that my timeline would "butterfly" the rise of Islam as a whole. In almost every "no Islam" timeline I've seen, both the Roman Empire and Christianity tend to both do well, and also evolve along rather somewhat similar lines. I wanted to avert that. Perhaps my course is slightly less likely, but I believe it's equally plausible. That said, up until relatively shortly before Rome fell, I did intend the Roman Empire to survive and recover in some form. Honestly, I think that might have been the easier option from a narrative and plausibility standpoint.

If there's any single overarching trend, its that I tend to be biased in the direction of doing things that I think keep the timeline interesting and distinct from other similar timelines about the same era. Whether or not that actually works is an exercise left to the reader. :p

Great Votive War Pt. 1
Rise and Fall - the Western Mediterranean at a turning point

In Florentia, the return of Great Legate [a unique Isidorian term for field commanders with broad authority but no assigned "theatre" as a doux might have]Julius Paulus was greeted with celebration. The army's morale, beaten down by betrayal and their "march to the sea" skyrocketed when they returned home greeted as heroes and conquerors. Emperor Valerian bestowed upon him tremendous accolades, and, after the death of his wife Claudia a year later in childbirth (bearing the Emperor a sickly daughter who would not survive her third year), he would marry the successful General's niece, Syagria.

Despite Julius Paulus' vast lack of success, his campaigns had allowed small expeditions to seize power across all of the Mauri overseas territories. The Isidorian fleet had even captured the bulk of the Mauri fleet, which, seeing the way the winds were blowing, defected wholesale. However, Sicily, the real prize, lay in a sense outside of Imperial hands. Anatolius, still predominant as Praeses of Rome and still holding the ear of the Magister Militium, Cosmas, was able to appoint his nephew as Doux of Sicily. In his position of poorly defined and near-absolute power, Anatolius still controlled the reins of power even despite his Emperor's middle-age.

Anatolius, nearing seventy, could look back on a long and successful career - a massive expansion of the Empire which had profited himself and his family immensely, and near total dominion over a weak Emperor who had never had the strength to confront his stranglehold on the avenues of power. However, in his old age he began to slip. He did not properly identify Julius Paulus as the threat he was - and would not until too late. Nor did he recognize Cosmas' betrayal until too late. One day he merely awoke to find soldiers beating down his door. His body, and the bodies of his immediate family would never be found. The Doux of Sicily fled to Constantinople, where he would live out a comfortable exile among the Rhom Shahs as a mercenary commander. Julius would ascend to the rank of Doux and Cosmas would become the new power behind the throne.

Still relatively young, able, and energetic, Cosmas turned his attention to consolidation. Expanding the military-bureaucracy into the newly conquered territories was the first step. The assimilation of the Mauri was aided by the fact that they considered themselves to be in large part Roman, and many were descended from Roman settlers, speaking a intelligible dialect of Latin. However, they nonetheless posed a threat to public order. As more and more Mauri with means fled to Sicily, they couched their abandonment of the state in elaborate tales of atrocity. Churches were defiled by pagan rites, and Christians were nailed to posts by their entrails or used as target practice by Berber cavalrymen. Could anyone fault them for fleeing such horrors? That the Berbers were in practice tolerant of Christianity and indeed not entirely unfamiliar with the religion was irrelevant.

These Mauri would appeal to the latest Pope, Adeodatus III. A man with some Desidarian leanings, the Papacy bought whole cloth into these tales. The Pope traveled to Florentia and pleaded with Valerian to liberate the world from sin and restore a holy empire of the Romans. However, Valerian himself offered only vague promises, and Cosmas, an eminently practical man who seems to have little true religious conviction, politely but sternly informed the Pope that his goals were impossible. The Isidorians had but a fraction of the power they would necessarily need for such an undertaking.

The tenor of Christianity in this era began to shift once more. The apocalyptic terror of the Desidarian and Procopians was on the wane. No great antichrist had emerged. News of the collapse of the Eftal had began to spread. However, what replaced it, particularly among the military classes of Francia and Rome, was a growing feeling of a religion besieged, challenged by heresy and unbelief at every turn. Over the century, this feeling would only be exacerbated.

The true fall of the Mauri Empire can be dated to 721, when Carthage itself was sacked. Two years previously, answering appeals by the Mauri King, the Visigoths had invaded Mauritania and the country of the Masamida, hoping to march east and enact a grand conquest which would give them, if nothing else, some of the spoils of the waning Empire and prevent total Isidorian domination of the Mediterranean.

King Ermanaricus of Hispania crossed the straits unopposed with some twenty thousand men, perhaps a quarter of them mounted. That was perhaps the sole success of his campaign. The Masamida were led by a wily commander named Iufitrana who retreated into the hills and mountains. While the Romano-Gothic army seized the coastline and began to march west, cheerful at the lack of any more than token opposition, a massive Berber army, uniting almost all the local clans, developed.

"The pagans, whose numbers cannot be described in any language, descended howling upon us." wrote one of the survivors of the battle. "They attacked from all directions and were too swift to allow us to close for more than brief heartbeats." The Berber forces launched hit-and-run attacks, provoking isolated Hispanian units to charge - allowing them to become separated from the man body of the army and cut down in detail. Few survived to limp back to the coast and the safety of their ships. King Ermanaricus was not among them, and his death would see the crown contested by his three brothers.

The three brothers, Rodrigus (23), Euricus (19), and Suinthila (15) were each given extensive territories in their father's will, and each proved to be more warlike than the next. From the first there was no hope of cooperation. Suinthila, the youngest, was nevertheless perhaps the most aggressive, personally leading armies against Euricus, who retreated into Suebia in the north. However, this left Suinthila vulnerable to Rodrigus, who led lightening raids from his base of Cordoba, allowing Euricus to recover lost ground. No brother could win the decisive battle necessary to assert his dominance without weakening himself too much and effectively handing victory to the third. As such, the war ground on from 719 to 723, when mutual exhaustion finally brought an end to it.

Iufitrana of the Masamida, however, had not been idle. He launched his own attacks, seaborne raids with the help of profit-seeking Mauri adventurers. Hispania burned. While these Masamida raids would not establish any sort of permanent foothold, they did prove the weakness of the Goths - who were unable to stop these raiders from ranging deep inland, destroying monasteries and villas. In 724, Rodrigus was killed in battle against a Masamida raiding party, and within six months Suinthila was universal King of Hispania, but the damage had been done. The young king ruled a fractured and devastated kingdom whose weakness had been shown clearly to the world.

Against the Eftal - a Teaser for the "Great Votive War"

Everywhere are good Christians assailed. The Romans, who once were the holy bulwark of the Christian against the blasphemer and the infidel, have fallen. The heathens hold Constantinople cupped in the palm of their hand, and assail the righteous in Germania and Pannonia, in Moesia and Thracia. In Africa the Berbers who have no creed and no belief defile monasteries and force good Christians into slavery.

The Hephthalians have completely destroyed some of God's churches, and they have committed others to the use of their savage cult. They ruin the altars with filth and defilement. They slay Christians and pour their blood into the baptismal fonts. Uncountable is the number of souls languishing under their cruel dominion. They are the enemies of Christ and all that is holy.

Have we forgotten too the false prophets of Egypt? The Hephthalians, whose allegiance with the devil is clear, hide their apostasy in many guises, but no sin is more vile than the sin that disguises itself in righteousness. They claim to be Believers, but they deny the very nature of Christ, equivocating and burying the Word beneath blasphemy and heresy! Are they not just as damned as the Boddean or the pagan?

And yet we do not begrudge them Jerusalem, the site of the Passion of our Lord, or Bethlehem, where he was born to the Blessed Virgin. We give harbor to their ships and gold to their merchants. We allow them to seduce us with the gifts of the Orient and we let them walk amongst us as wolves in the raiment of sheep!

As Christ Himself said, 'If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me.' The Cross, brothers, the very sign by which Saint Constantine himself conquered - under it you too shall conquer! The armies of the Romans shall be turned once again to holy purposes. Is war not just if it seeks to bring godliness to the world once more? Did not the venerable Saint Augustine say that those who put to death wicked men have not violated the commandment which says 'Thou shalt not kill'? Is it not even a great blessing to the service of god to kill those who threaten his Church through their words and their acts?

You, soldiers of Rome, servants of the Emperor who is Equal-to-the-Apostles, servants of God and His Eternal Glory, you are blessed with the opportunity to take up both cross and sword in defense of Empire and Church. Make oaths to God, as you make oaths to the Emperor. Swear that you shall never rest until the Hephthalians are driven to the corners of the world! Swear you shall never rest until the Patriarchates are restored as they were in the days of Saint Constantine the Great! Until Africa is liberated. The obligation of the faithful is reconquest and a restoration of the holy order.

Together, as a great wave we shall, blessed by God in our efforts and assured of our victory both now and in the eternal life to come, ensure that the Heresiarch is driven from Alexandria, the Boddean from Constantinople, and the pagan from Carthage. Let us march unto the very ends of the world and know that its liberation is near at hand! God wills this! Let us be his instrument! God wills this!