The Orange Succession

Interesting story. I like how the Prince of Wales isn't getting estranged from his motherland, but he seems to be swinging too much to our side now... he is aware that England, being the source of his monarchal titles and so forth, is probably the more important part of the union for the Orange-Nassaus, isn't he?

He's probably intellectually aware of that, but he certainly doesn't feel like that. And, well... you'll see if he matures in further updates, no? G-d willing, at least. :)

It might have been interesting if Charles II had died sooner (which wouldn't have been too hard) and thus before the war ended and Louis' conflict with the Pope had been settled. That would probably have given France an initial disadvantage for the War of Spanish Succession compared to OTL, especially with Willem III still alive.

But of course, considering how the butterflies might affect prince Joseph Ferdinand of Bavaria and his mother, there might not be a war... if Europe and Spain are really lucky.

As I indicated at the end of this post, the next entry will focus almost entirely on the question of the Spanish Succession, so you'll learn more about that hopefully soon. Keep in mind though, butterflies are already going; as I've previously indicated, Anne will be dead shortly, and Mary continues to live well past 1694. This is by no means the limit.

William III & Mary II
By the Grace of God
King and Queen of England, Scotland, France and Ireland,
Stadtholder of the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands,
Prince of Orange, Count of Nassau, Defenders of the Faith, etc.

williammary.png

JE MAINTIENDRAI

Chapter VIII: Seeming Wiser

By the year 1665, the Spanish Empire was already in decline. It had, at that time, been ruled for over forty years by Philip IV, a serious but generally gracious monarch. He lost the Kingdom of Portugal during his reign, but otherwise, outwardly, Spain still seemed fairly strong, expanding its colonies to new and greater heights, and he had seen the kingdom through the trying times of the early 17th century and Thirty Years’ War. Spain, whatever its weaknesses, still stood proudly in the community of nations in his time. However, there was, as there always is, the problem of the succession. Though King Philip had a son in his first marriage, the young man long predeceased his father, and Philip was forced to remarry to try for an heir. He managed to have another legitimate son in his old age, in 1661, but died not long after in 1665.

The new four-year old king, Charles II, was unfortunately the very model of inbreeding, even cited in modern gemmulic studies as what can happen in such circumstances. He failed to speak until the age of four; walk, until age eight. He was physically and mentally disabled in any number of ways, yet somehow continued, against all odds, to live and rule - or, at least, have a court which ruled in his name - for several decades. Even more damning, Charles, despite two marriages, had utterly failed to sire heirs - not even bastards. An incapable king is destabilizing in even the most diminished of constitutional monarchies, and the lack of a clear succession in an absolute state even more so. Spain had the unlucky coincidence of both simultaneously. The King was a ticking time bomb. His death would doubtless bring war and misery to Spain - though precisely how far that might lead was in question.

By the end of the Nine Years’ War, the closest legal heir to the throne was Charles’ nephew, the Dauphin Louis, the son of his late eldest sister, Maria Theresa. Louis, however, was also heir to the French throne through his own father, and, though the Sun King would certainly have welcomed the unification of France and Spain, even in his wildest dreams he did not imagine it coming to pass. Such a union of crowns was completely unacceptable to the rest of Europe. William & Mary were far from his only concern, though they were among them, to be sure, along with the Hapsburg Emperor himself. After all, as far as Leopold was concerned, there was always the alternative.

There was only one other reasonably legitimate option for the inheritance: Charles’ niece, the Electress Maria Antonia, child of another late sister, Margaret Theresa. Maria Antonia was a Hapsburg, and daughter of the Emperor Leopold, and would preserve Hapsburg rule during her reign. Further, making her more appealing to William, she was married to Maximilian II Emanuel, the Prince-Elector of Bavaria, which meant that Spain would ultimately fall out of the influence of both France and Austria in the long run, save for one problem: they had no heirs. In nearly fifteen years of marriage, she and her husband had had naught but a string of miscarriages and stillbirths. She seemed a dead end, and many believed her succession could only lead to another war down the road.

Louis, realizing that England would never let him rule over all of the Spanish dominions, threw William a bone in 1699 by renouncing his own rights to succeed, naming them instead to his thirteen year old younger son, Philip, the Duke of Anjou. This lessened William’s outright dismissal of a Bourbon taking the Spanish throne, and pressure in Parliament led him to seek a peaceful solution that might, at least, keep England out of such a war. A year later, a treaty was formally signed at London between William & Mary and representatives of Louis XIV, agreeing that Philip could succeed to the Spanish throne itself, as well as the Spanish colonies, but that Spain’s other European possessions would remain Hapsburg, descending onto Maria Antonia. In exchange, Spanish and French territorial disputes with the English in the New World would be surrendered almost wholly to England, along with certain concessions in traditionally Spanish territories, particularly at the Plate River.

The Emperor and the Spanish were livid. Leopold saw the treaty as a fundamental betrayal by the English monarchs, and swore that his daughter would succeed to her entire Spanish dominions. No compromise was necessary or acceptable; they had been Hapsburg lands before, and they would continue to be Hapsburg lands. The end of the war with the Ottomans in the same year allowed him to shift his entire focus toward the Italies and Spain. There was now no doubt - there was no longer even the slightest question of whether there would be war, merely one of when it would come. Meanwhile England began to stand down, and turned to solidifying its alliances with the Protestant states, planning to leave fighting over Spain to the others.

Despite the Emperor’s reaction, as far as William was concerned, it was a win-win situation. The Germanies would certainly not be nearly so willing to fight for Leopold’s or even Bavaria’s territorial aggrandisement as they were to fight against France’s own moves into Germany. Austria and France would fight, and Louis would likely get a bloody nose, even if he won in the end. Even if the Emperor turned on William militarily, he was sure that Leopold would be unable to get far into the Netherlands, and certainly had no capacity to strike at his other realms. This taken care of, he turned back to his wife’s priority: marriage.

In the case of his son, something fortuitous had occurred: he had become enamored of a young lady. More importantly, she was an excellent choice from a political perspective. Henriette Albertine of Nassau-Dietz was the fifteen year old eldest daughter of one of William’s relatives, Henry Casimir II, who was not only a hereditary prince in his own right, but was also a stadtholder in his own right. While William was stadtholder in five of the seven provinces of the Netherlands, there was not yet a unified office; Henry Casimir was the stadtholder of the other two provinces. Even more interesting, though it still had a chance of changing, he had no sons, making the hand of his eldest daughter even more tempting.

Though William had married his own wife when she was only fifteen, such a match didn’t seem quite proper. However, after the monarchs traveled personally to the Netherlands and worked out a political arrangement with her father, a formal betrothal was announced: the Prince of Wales would marry Henriette Albertine in due course and, it was all but said outright, be made as effectively as possible his father-in-law’s heir. William was ecstatic: no more would the Netherlands be divided and weak in the face of French or Hapsburg aggression. Now they not only would have the true force of England, Scotland and Ireland, but the seven Netherlands truly united under a single lord.

Parliament was less sure of the union. More ties to the Netherlands were not especially welcome; no small number of lords had hoped that the Prince of Wales, as intolerable a man as he might be, would marry one of their own daughters or, failing that, a Scottish lady of some standing, strengthening ties between the new dynasty and its British realms. Reinforcing the ties to the Netherlands was not their preference. However, in the end Parliament became, if not enthusiastic, then at least resigned to the choice: after all, a stronger, more secure Netherlands would at least mean less chance of England being forced to intervene on its behalf. It would, if nothing else, not be a burden. And, at the least, as one member of the Commons is purported to have said, though the Dutch might be accused of many things, popery was not among them.

Normally, such marriage alliances would not be made so quickly or at such a young age, but England was nearly bereft of foreign alliances, due to the Stuarts’ near-constant deference to their French relations. They lost yet another when Princess Anne, the Queen’s sister, died due to complications from childbirth, if indeed one could call what it had brought an “alliance:” Denmark, whatever its religion, had no love of the Netherlands and even less for William. Denmark was firmly aligned with France and, since the Glorious Revolution had brought William & Mary to power, had proved nearly worthless to the country. Remarkably, Prince George, Anne’s husband, made no moves to return to Denmark; despite his relative alienation from the corridors of power since his in-laws’ succession, he not only kept his small family in England, but continued to sit in the House of Lords by right of his English peerage, the Duchy of Cumberland. He allowed his sister-in-law to fully take charge of his children’s education - though they continued to be raised in the Lutheran tradition - and remained a Crown loyalist in Parliament.

Any influence George still had in Copenhagen evaporated when he stayed in London after his wife’s death, so what few concessions Denmark had made in the past disappeared entirely. It wasn’t long after Anne’s death that the next match was announced: Mary was now betrothed to a young man in her father’s service. Charles of Hesse-Kassel was the second surviving son Charles I, the Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, a small but quite prosperous state in the Holy Roman Empire, with a very outsized army. Though small, its military forces could easily turn the tide if worst came to worst, and war renewed with France - and, after all, the fee for their hire would be lower for relatives.

The younger Charles himself was a handsome and ambitious young man, and had been noted as having a keen mind. He had entered into Dutch service at the age of fifteen, serving in the last, relatively uneventful years of the Nine Years War on the Dutch front under William’s command. William had been impressed with his abilities, even then, and his wife was quite enamored of the young man on meeting him in the Netherlands. His family ties made him an excellent option, and, as William wrote, his demonstrable intelligence would make him the younger Mary’s perfect match. Again, Parliament was not thrilled with further ties in Europe, but the pressing need for allies had been made quite apparent in the war.

It was the last marriage, in 1701, that would figure the most into the course of the next few years. After less than a year’s preparation and negotiation, almost instantaneous by historical terms, Amelia underwent a proxy wedding, drawing an unknowing England, despite all its treaties, and even before Spain itself, into the greatest war in a generation. For she had married Charles XII, the young King of Sweden. And, as she said her vows with his ambassador, they had no idea that he had, that very day, marched from Stockholm to face the encroaching Danes.

And, though even on that cool Spring day in Sudermania they did not know it, the War of the Spanish Succession had begun.

Last edited:
Nice updates.
So we can expecting a very broad War of the Spanish succession combined with a Great Northern War? Or Would Charles II be the comander of the Allied Forces instead of Marlborrough and Eugene?

Nice updates.
So we can expecting a very broad War of the Spanish succession combined with a Great Northern War? Or Would Charles II be the comander of the Allied Forces instead of Marlborrough and Eugene?

The former, certainly; though the name of the war in English is "The War of the Spanish Succession", in other languages it might be called something implying a more northern focus, but we're talking about an essentially broad war that will be fought across the continent.

As to the commander of allied forces, well, you'll see in time. :)

Nice, lets see how many nations are now dragged into the war.

It's not going to be pretty.

Just one other question, what is the Prince of Wales doiing in the United Provinces? Even his dad is the Stad Holder of 5 of the Seven Provinces, he did not had much power. Even William III came to power after a coup some decade ago most of the power was in the hands of the state pensioner. I suppose this is the very capable Hensius. The State pensioner in his turn had to deal with seven states and numerous factions to get thing done or in motion. So what will the Prince of Wales do in this Dutch house political intrigue, contradicting interests and double agenda's?

By the way I made a typo, I mean of course Charles the XII of Sweden, great general, although a bit too big risk taker (no whig and powdered nose as the other men of his time :) )

Just one other question, what is the Prince of Wales doiing in the United Provinces? Even his dad is the Stad Holder of 5 of the Seven Provinces, he did not had much power. Even William III came to power after a coup some decade ago most of the power was in the hands of the state pensioner. I suppose this is the very capable Hensius. The State pensioner in his turn had to deal with seven states and numerous factions to get thing done or in motion. So what will the Prince of Wales do in this Dutch house political intrigue, contradicting interests and double agenda's?

By the way I made a typo, I mean of course Charles the XII of Sweden, great general, although a bit too big risk taker (no whig and powdered nose as the other men of his time :) )

On your first note, I'm sorry I didn't go that much into it. I'm trying to maintain, to some extent, the idea that the "history" I'm writing is from a British perspective, and is focusing on that aspect, which means that a lot of what's happening on the continent gets left out. I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep the current format or possibly split into being "from multiple sources". I may just start creating inserts from "other sources" while the main posts continue to be from this same, British source.

Anyway, as a point, since I'm not sure how much I'll go into it in the actual TL posts: as you rightly say, a great deal of the political power is centered in Anthonie Hensius, who holds both significant power in his own right as grand pensionary and, more importantly with one man holding five of the seven stadtholderships, the confidence of William III, giving him enormous further influence.

How much I'll go into this in the TL is questionable, but in this period the Prince of Wales is both semi-apprenticing under Hensius to learn the politics of the United Provinces and handling the House of Orange-Nassau's family affairs as they come up - of course, William had a household management already, what he's done is put the Prince of Wales on top, a position where he's supposed to apply what he's learned already to his position, learn to take responsibility and, most importantly, learn from his subordinates how to manage such things. William's pretty much given up on him being a completely proper king in the military/political sense, and is hoping to make a successor who is, if nothing else, a fine steward of royal finances. He's hoping that he might learn the politics, but he's not very hopeful. That's part of what makes a military man like Charles of Hesse-Kassel such a good choice for "royal brother-in-law".

How well this will turn out, well, you'll see. I may write something further to talk about this in detail in the future, but I'm not sure when, if ever.

And, yeah, I figured you meant Charles XII, because Charles II leading the allies in the War over who succeeds him was rather silly. :p And, well, he's not exactly the same person - a concept that many TLs use, such as one of my significant influences, Look to the West is that of the "alternate timeline brother"; Charles was the son of the OTL King of Sweden, but since he was born after the primary PoD - the Prince of Wales' birth - he's not quite the same person, though he does have the same genetic mix and a fundamentally similar upbringing, so will bear a lot of resemblance to his OTL counterpart.

There are so many timelines that use this as a POD, and yet they all end up being so different. Personally, I'd say it's one of my favorite PODs.

There are so many timelines that use this as a POD, and yet they all end up being so different. Personally, I'd say it's one of my favorite PODs.

Good grief, has it really been since May that I've managed to update this? :eek:

Thanks for the comment. Maybe I'll actually update soonish.

William III & Mary II
By the Grace of God

William_Mary.png

JE MAINTIENDRAI

Chapter IX: De Bello Septentrionali

Charles XII of the Swedes, Goths and Wends is a figure that dominated his era, and we would be remiss in any history of the House of Orange in this period to leave out one of its closest relatives and allies. Through his marriage to Queen Amelia, he was always closely tied to the political and military situation in the British isles, and, as King of Sweden, the influence - soft and hard - he could bring to bear had no small impact on their history. The man himself has a popular image, today, as an elderly invalid, too closely tied to the memory of his royal predecessors, and, thus, resistant to political change, being both proud and stubborn. Though this image is simplified, it is roughly accurate for the time in which he is often portrayed. However, when Charles took the reigns of power in after his father’s sudden demise from stomach cancer - well, he certainly was neither elderly nor an invalid.

Charles was born in 1681 to his predecessor, Charles XI, and his beloved consort, Princess Ulrica Eleonora of Denmark. He was raised in the royal court, the only son amongst the four surviving royal children, growing up in the longest period of peace Sweden had seen in a long time. As a boy, he was healthy and physically active, and took to military training and studies with his characteristic aplomb. He detested, but faithfully followed, the study of stewardship in which his father excelled, and exhibited a generosity of spirit in his youth that echoed his mother’s.

In 1698, Charles was proclaimed king, and narrowly avoided a planned regency with the support of the Diet; he presided over a Sweden that was, like England, mostly lacking in foreign alliances. His sisters, all younger than the King, had yet to marry. The delicate peace with Denmark guaranteed by his parents’ marriage had ended with his mother’s 1691 death in childbirth, and only his father’s personality and strength had kept the Danes in line.

Very quickly, Charles approved plans his grandmother, Queen Hedwig Eleonora, to marry his eldest sister Hedwig Sophia to her kinsman and the ruler of her native Holstein-Gottorp, Frederick IV, to renew the traditional alliance between that duchy and Sweden. Charles was also keenly aware that, with only three younger sisters to his name - given Sweden’s previous experience with a female monarch - he needed an heir, and quickly. With the most eligible Protestant women in Europe both in London, Charles quickly entered into negotiations with England, which were finalized in 1700 with his betrothal and, a year later, his marriage to Princess Amelia.

But events quickly surpassed him when, taking advantage of what was perceived to be a young, weak king, Denmark, Saxony & Poland-Lithuania and Russia joined into a coalition against the Kingdom of Sweden and its continental dominions in 1700, with Danish troops landing in Scania and moving quickly to besiege cities as far north as Kalmar in April of the following year, relatively simultaneous with Saxon and Russian encroachment on other Swedish territories. Charles had long trained for the day when hostilities with Denmark or Russia would resume, as had his army, and he marched out from Stockholm to meet them.

He took the Danes by surprise by his quick movements, and forced them to withdraw from Kalmar in June, and quickly pushed the Danes back into Scania proper, but the inconclusive Battle of Hassleholm in October meant that the Danes remained encamped on Swedish soil through the winter, as the Swedish army retired to its own Winter quarters.

News of the war came as a shock to Parliament. Nevertheless, they preempted William & Mary when the House of Commons voted against money to raise troops before the monarchs even requested it. With Amelia having left for Stockholm shortly before news of the war had arrived, the monarchs themselves were caught with their trousers down. William, at first, indicated that he had no real intention to get the nation dragged into war with Denmark - he had not negotiated a deal with the devil to the south only to be drawn into war in the north.

Hedwig Eleonora sent ambassadors urgently to London in the middle of the year, who arrived in England in September. The ambassadors, first and foremost, brought news of Amelia’s safe arrival, while also speaking of the successful campaign her grandson was waging in Scania. She also requested England’s urgent support, in the name of their mutual alliance; especially if, as she carefully implied, England ever expected any support from Sweden in its own affairs.

William declared war on Denmark formally, and went to Parliament with a compromise - he wanted money to fully equip the Royal Navy to sail and support Swedish maneuvers in the Baltic. He rejected the idea of sending an army, at least for now. Parliament was much more amenable to this suggestion, especially in light of other concessions on policy the King offered them; money to support the Royal Navy was already flowing due to the expansion efforts, and it was not an unreasonable sum to raise it somewhat for combat operations. Parliament also worried about Hedwig Eleonora’s letter - what use were their foreign alliances, after all, if no one would honor them - so the compromise solution was agreed, and the acts passed the Commons and Lords with a comfortable majority.

Charles welcomed the news of English support when he finally returned to Stockholm in November, as well as finally holding the formal local wedding ceremony for himself and his wife; despite his grandmother’s dissent, he had Amelia crowned as his Queen, rather than merely his consort - an honor never given his own mother. His official reasoning was political - Denmark could be snubbed with impunity, perhaps; England, however, especially in the existing international situation, could not be. Unofficially, it was another shot in the eternal contest of wills between Hedwig Eleonora, and, though she would continue to chair the Council in the King’s absence, Amelia was raised to a higher status. Gone was Hedwig Eleonora’s longtime place as an effective president, second in prestige and authority only to the King himself.

In the Spring, campaigning season continued; by May, the Danes had been driven from Scania by the King’s generals, while Charles himself campaigned in Livonia throughout the year, retaking critical towns and fortresses from the encroaching Russian forces, supported enormously by both the Swedish and English navies, whose supremacy in the Baltic was indisputable after the Battle of Memel on 3 July. Charles’ forces moved decisively against the invasion force, led by Peter I, the nation’s Grand Prince. Peter suffered a catastrophic defeat at Nyen in September; the Swedes moved quickly south to counteract a Saxon-led invasion of their other continental territories, but was unable to force them to a decisive engagement before winter came.

Charles wrote himself to London that December, asking William & Mary for a larger contribution - hoping for a small English detachment, or perhaps encouraging adventurers to take up with the Swedish Army; it was in vain, however. By the time Charles’ request came, it was already impossible to grant.

On January 4, 1702, another Charles - in Madrid - had died. They knew about this in Stockholm, but in those days, when news often spread quite slowly, there was no way for them to know that by the dawn of 1703, hell had broken loose across Europe. What had been a conflict of containment between auxiliary powers on the peripheries of Latin civilization became a conflagration that would burn across three continents before it might extinguish.

Last edited:
Louis, realizing that England would never let him rule over all of the Spanish dominions, threw William a bone in 1699 by renouncing his own rights to succeed, naming them instead to his thirteen year old younger son, Philip, the Duke of Anjou.

I feel obligated to note that Philip was NOT Louis XIV's younger son--he was the younger son of Louis, the Grand Dauphin.

I feel obligated to note that Philip was NOT Louis XIV's younger son--he was the younger son of Louis, the Grand Dauphin.

I admit it's not so clear as possible, but I did actually mean the Grand Dauphin with that "Louis", calling back to two paragraphs before he was also the impetus for the compromise IOTL - thus, let *him* rule, rather than his son.

Good update.

I only have one more request: update more frequently!!!

I'll try. :)

A bit short, but I didn't want to merge it into the next chapter, and I want to keep this momentum I've got going. So, without further ado:

William III & Mary II
By the Grace of God

William_Mary.png

JE MAINTIENDRAI

Chapter X: Where the Heart Is
After it had been firmly decided that neither England nor the Netherlands would send troops to the Baltic - and the latter, not even ships - the monarchs decided that the engagement between their final unmarried daughter, Mary, should end, to secure the last alliance. Despite Mary’s request for a delay, the wedding was scheduled for what turned out to be a stormy day in late March, when she finally married Charles of Hesse-Kassel. Charles was invested with the Dukedom of Cambridge in the English peerage; to many’s great relief, after taking his seat in the Lords, he rarely attended sessions, or even came to London.

As Charles was in the Dutch service, Charles and Mary made what was to be their permanent residence from September to be in the Netherlands, where they made their home at the North End Palace in the Hague, given to Charles as part of the dowry, not all that far away from the Prince of Wales’ residence with his wife at the newer Woods House. Charles, because of his growing position in the Stadtholder’s army, was constantly away, sometimes drilling his father-in-law’s men in Holland, often traveling with them across the provinces, and occasionally going over to England to coordinate with the King there. Their time together at the start of their married life was limited, and Mary was generally left to run their household in the Hague by herself.

Mary detested the Hague, and the Netherlands; even having grown up there as a young child, the bulk of her life had been spent in England, and it was that country she far preferred. In her private diary, she would write about the ugliness of the city, the clumsiness of the language, the “cruel look” of the people and the land’s unbearable climate. Though even in her private writings she did not say it outright, she resented the betrothal - and her marriage - themselves. She resented being dragged from her home and taken to a foreign nation, and her resentment blossomed quickly into absolute contempt for her new home.

In stark contrast, her brother had long since embraced the Netherlands. For all his faults, he had ensconced himself into Dutch society, and Dutch society was, on the whole, happy to have him. Most men found him agreeable, and often in line with local thinking on a variety of issues. His charming wife, Henriette Albertine, was popular both privately and in society. Though often her subtlety and wit left much to be desired, few had any reason to dislike her; she was among a very choice few that Mary would write of positively - even fondly - from her time living in the Netherlands. Her own brother was not among that number.

In a far away land, their third sibling was already in the end of her first year living in Stockholm. In her letters to her sister, she wrote about the cold, but how it was altogether bearable from “the warmth of the folk.” Amelia would never love Sweden, but she found the social environment more than welcoming. Amelia had quickly learned the Swedish tongue, and ingratiated herself among the noble and merchant families of the nation, and established herself as her husband’s advocate in Stockholm while he was away, though not formally and not as any kind of regent. It was not like the relationship between William & Mary, almost one of equals when they were separate, but Amelia had learned her mother’s lessons well: her duty was to support her husband, and do everything she could to support him. It didn’t hurt that she had fallen deeply in love, in her own words, at first sight of the handsome monarch, and he - while not quite so quick to trust with such deep affection - quickly became fond of his wife.

Amelia miscarried her first pregnancy in June 1702, roughly the same time as her sister-in-law miscarried her own. Mary would be the first to carry to term, and in December 1702 gave birth to a son, named Charles for his father. Though born to great celebration in their family, her son was sickly, and less than three weeks after his birth, he died in infancy. They were an ill omen for the House of Orange, though days were early yet, and few expected the run of poor fortune to continue. Miscarriages and stillbirths were altogether far too common in that era, and before the spectre of global war, they seemed a small question.

But even as the seeds of Hapsburg breeding had laid the groundwork for a great conflict, so the question of the Orange Succession itself would continue to shape the history of the British Isles long after.