Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

DUKE makes perfect sense if your talking about any combination of British and/or Empire forces with Dutch forces.

As soon as you add American involvement ABDA becomes the term to use.

DUKE does make sense in certain circumstances to make sure that the reader knows that American forces are not involved and as such that will inform how decisions are made and who by.
Not sure the D stands for Dutch. I thought the first poster to use it had for Dominion, UK and Empire.

Garrison

Donor
Sounds too much like a Swedish super group for my liking

And ABDA was a very short lived creation - literally survived for a few tragic weeks in the early part of 1942
Well I chucked in some Canadians and got ABCD, which sounds like an Agatha Christie murder mystery. :)

TBH will Stalin have the same flex he had OTL? Britian isn't in the same dire straights as it was OTL and its pushing back in the east and has beaten the Germans and Italians in Africa so I imagine their will be push back until they are good and ready.
Stalin and his Russian armies are tying up rather a lot of Axis forces, and don't actually need to attempt an amphibious landing to fight them.

It’s not a thing though and we don’t all know. Use British or British Empire forces, that’s what they were. Australia was never a dominion it is the Commonwealth of Australia.
It was never designated as a "Dominion" officially but it was created as one and was known as a political entity as one. Australia was basically a Dominion in everything except name - it was a ex-series of colonies that federated on 1 January 1901 under British auspices as a self-governing dominion known as a "Commonwealth".

I find the use offputting. Far prefer to read Commonwealth or Imperial forces when referring to troops etc from the British Empire and Commonwealth.

1699687175710.jpeg

DUKE is exclusively an American term. No other nation uses that idiom.
British. Sort of. It’s basically a product of Al Murray and James Holland. Originally the former IIUC. So in this case not an Americanism.

I don’t use it personally, as it doesn’t really ring right to me. But it’s not really much worse than any other abbreviated description. So personally, it seems kind of irrelevant.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
British. Sort of. It’s basically a product of Al Murray and James Holland. Originally the former IIUC. So in this case not an Americanism.

I don’t use it personally, as it doesn’t really ring right to me. But it’s not really much worse than any other abbreviated description. So personally, it seems kind of irrelevant.
Better than Wallies.

Still spinning back to the chapter in question Far-East is going better but raises aquestion about thr collaborators like Bose and the like who got set up by the Japanese.

They will have a lesser role compared to OTL since the Japanese have been pushed back and are stupidly behind schedule in a lot of places but they will still be present so do they have a lesser role? Or will they try to organise what they can?

I mean from the wayI see it as an example Azi Hind doesn't really have much of a chance of existing in the same form as OTL.

Last edited:
Still spinning back to the chapter in question Far-East is going better but raises aquestion about thr collaborators like Bose and the like who got set up by the Japanese.

They will have a lesser role compared to OTL since the Japanese have been pushed back and are stupidly behind schedule in a lot of places but they will still be present so do they have a lesser role? Or will they try to organise what they can?

I mean from the wayI see it as an example Azi Hind doesn't really have much of a chance of existing in the same form as OTL.
Well putting Indochina and the Phillipines aside... the two most prominent (IMO) collaborators, which are Bose and Sukarno could not even play a role ITTL. The former would probably stuck in Germany now that there really isn't a way for him to be transferred to Japanese territory since the Japanese could not go through the Melaka and Sunda Straits...for the latter...I think I already mentioned this but ITTL he would probably already transferred to his new exile place in the middle of nowhere in Australia by now.
Correct me if I wrong..but IIRC a sizable amount of collaborators in SEA were in prison before the Japanese occupiers freed them...so the likelihood of them even to organise is a bit low.,

TLDR: For the British & Dutch, they are not even present...and those who presents could only organise prison riots from behind the bars...

Last edited:
It’s not a thing though and we don’t all know. Use British or British Empire forces, that’s what they were. Australia was never a dominion it is the Commonwealth of Australia.
Australia along with, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Newfoundland and the Irish Free state were all know for the early part of the 20th C as having Dominion Status or simply 'Dominions'.

Basically self governing states within the British Commonwealth of Nations - this term fell out of use after WW2 - but accurately describes them within the time frame we are discussing.

So Australia was absolutely a 'Dominion' in 1941 and the term makes sense in differentiating those forces from British and Empire forces.

But I will say no more on this subject but will continue to use the term.