Renovation: An Eastern Roman Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, I am issuing a symbolic Declaration of Protection for Muslim Egypt in Renovation, aka a gesture of support for the idea of it remaining independent in the Timeline.

Go Muslim Egypt!

Like I've mentioned elsewhere before,the ERE would remain a secondary power in the future if it doesn't get any colonies or capture Egypt.So I'm firmly in the anti-Egypt camp.

Religious pluralism in Rhomania has only ever applied at the top. I fear getting the bishops to be tolerant would be ASB. Muslims and corsairs in service to the Empire are respected but could never be deemed equal (the example of the Rum sultanate defending Orthodoxy will be viewed with derision).

Cultural tolerance is perhaps even less likely, this isn't just the Greco-Roman conquerors of the world and founders of civilization, but a form of it bathed in blood and piracy. Casual attitudes of supremacy are proving difficult to shift as we saw in the war.

I know Sov has floated this Egyptian red herring (red tilapia?) and can't wait to see what happens, but it is a ways off and I hope that famous Roman essentialism isn't diluted to get there.

Religious pluralism in Rhomania has only ever applied at the top. I fear getting the bishops to be tolerant would be ASB. Muslims and corsairs in service to the Empire are respected but could never be deemed equal (the example of the Rum sultanate defending Orthodoxy will be viewed with derision).

Cultural tolerance is perhaps even less likely, this isn't just the Greco-Roman conquerors of the world and founders of civilization, but a form of it bathed in blood and piracy. Casual attitudes of supremacy are proving difficult to shift as we saw in the war.

I know Sov has floated this Egyptian red herring (red tilapia?) and can't wait to see what happens, but it is a ways off and I hope that famous Roman essentialism isn't diluted to get there.

((Deleted))

Last edited:

Zlorfik

Banned
Egypt is a natural target for a power controlling the balkans and anatolia
It'd be pretty uncharacteristic of the romans to not give it a shot. Or several

They don't have to succeed, though

Also, they don't have to directly incorporate the territory. Grabbing a port or two and enforcing tribute would be fine...
I can't imagine they'd want to absorb such a densely populated solidly islamic area

With regards to Egypt, I would like to see and think its fairly realistic if the ERE ended up taking Syria,Cyprus, maybe a couple ports like Alexandria or Damietta. Any more than that would be very difficult to control especially Egypt proper and less would make it harder for the ERE to remain a major power.

Egypt is such a long way off that it's not worth discussing at this point. For the ERE to take and hold any amount of land there would require a serious wank, even disregarding the recovery we've had so far. States do not simply go through a golden age for 300 years.

I'm taking this timeline too seriously, aren't I?

On another note, yes, you are man. :D Nothing necessarily wrong with that, a good work of AH is always a great thing to see. I'd just add my voice to the recommendation that you take all your energy and try to write a TL of your own. It's great fun just to research and come up with the possibilities, I really think you'd like it.

Egypt is such a long way off that it's not worth discussing at this point. For the ERE to take and hold any amount of land there would require a serious wank, even disregarding the recovery we've had so far. States do not simply go through a golden age for 300 years.

On another note, yes, you are man. :D Nothing necessarily wrong with that, a good work of AH is always a great thing to see. I'd just add my voice to the recommendation that you take all your energy and try to write a TL of your own. It's great fun just to research and come up with the possibilities, I really think you'd like it.

I have this tendency to miss small details, I'm afraid, and, no offense to audiences everywhere, but all fandoms have this tendency to nitpick at even the smallest errors.

Last edited:
From the lips of the Prophet Soverihn, based be his name...Don't worry about Egypt getting conquered for many a century. In fact it's like nearly four of them.

Deleted member 67076

Like I've mentioned elsewhere before,the ERE would remain a secondary power in the future if it doesn't get any colonies or capture Egypt.So I'm firmly in the anti-Egypt camp.

Not necessarily; look at Austria or Sweden. They were both great powers at one point without colonies.

With regards to Egypt, I dont want to spoil my plans for it but Ill say it now, Egypt isn't going to he anyone's punching bag in this timeline pretty soon enough. If anything It'll be the one interphereing.

Not necessarily; look at Austria or Sweden. They were both great powers at one point without colonies.

With regards to Egypt, I dont want to spoil my plans for it but Ill say it now, Egypt isn't going to he anyone's punching bag in this timeline pretty soon enough. If anything It'll be the one interphereing.

Again, squee!

Status
Not open for further replies.