Renovation: An Eastern Roman Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 67076

This took way, way longer than expected.

-----

The Third Genoese-Venetian War: Part III

For the time being it looked as if victory was in sight for the Anti Venetian coalition. The battlefield between the powers was increasingly swinging from the Aegean to the Adriatic and the stresses of war had been taking its toll on their enemies. Venetian ships were spotted less and less, and assaults had become mere raids. Pisa’s navy had been utterly smashed by Genoa as the easing of the Aegean front allowed for more forces to be diverted west. And Aragon still seemed to be mostly disinterested in the whole affair, mainly just loaning ships and arms to its allies in the conflict. It must have seen as if Venice and her allies were trying to delay the inevitable loss in order to exhaust the two, perhaps in hopes of obtaining a more favorable peace? Whatever the case, the writing was on the wall and Rome and Genoa were eager to finish the fight. Eager, and blinded by victory.

What Genoa and Romania hadn’t noticed was that Venice was regrouping and conducting diplomatic negotiations of their own. The war had taken an immense strain and they were well aware the Aegean was lost- most of the raids were designed to slow the inevitable, not reverse them. Instead what had been occurring throughout this time was for the Venetian state was to try to use whatever diplomatic leverage it had to try to tip the scales in the war and back out as much as it can. Emissaries were sent out to to attempt to convince Aragon to put in its full naval strength in this matter. Until this point (approximately spring-summer 1343) the crown of Aragon had been engaged in a limited manner, mostly throwing privateers, a couple squadrons of ships and coin against Genoa, despite the initial enthusiasm espoused by the state. But the merchant republic managed to convince them that this was more dire than they had realized. Athens had fallen, Pisa had been rendered a moot point after a decisive defeat, and Venice had been pushed back to the Aegean with Genoa in striking zone of Sardinia, potentially destroying any thoughts of expanding into the island of Sicily. Aragon was no longer a distant combatant with much to gain and nothing to lose, instead it had the potential to lose some serious prestige and strategic territories. With such pressing matters in mind, the crown scrambled its assets and began to throw her full weight into the war.

Additionally, diplomats were sent out to other potential states that could be sent out to attack either Genoa or Romania. Prospects for this were, less fortunate however. Milan was immediately out of the picture, their strict neutrality in the matters between Italian states was something both parties agreed must remain, lest the Milanese decide to destroy the balance of power in Italy to the detriment of both. The Papal state was calling for an end to the war so that’s not an option. Hungary? Exhausted from its recent wars in keeping the nobility in line and cementing royal power. Naples? Too busy invading Sicily. Bulgaria? Allied to the imperials. Etc, etc. However, there was one major diplomatic success: Serbia. The northeastern neighbor of the imperials had always had designs on its southern neighbor, driven by the latter’s history of wealth and prestige. The recent successes under the great king Stefan V Dusan have both strengthened, enlarged and emboldened the kingdom- but it is not enough: the kingdom is eager for more glories. Stefan, always the astute opportunist, quickly recognized the potential opening and agreed to intervene. The imperials have been bloodied and weakened over the years, and her forces are small. With the right timed attack, there could be massive gains to be made. And so Serbia began to mobilize.

We then resume the narrative with Genoa and Eastern Rome having begun preparations for their boldest strike yet: seizing Crete. The two forces begin to amass the largest single fleet of the war. Easing the pressure from both the Aegean front and the Western one to recruit the largest possible amount of ships available, the swollen armada launched from Romania intent on seizing its prey. Crete, the crown jewel of Venice was to be the greatest victory in the war- a decisive blow that would force the enemy to come to its knees, before the hammer would land on the lagoon-something like that. Back in the real world, Crete would be a decisive victory- a decisively pyrrhic victory.

Why? Overconfidence, bad luck, successful baiting by enemy forces, good command by the Aragonese admiral- take your pick. Point is, that ‘decisive’ attack on Crete ends up with much (perhaps a good 60% or so) of the Roman-Genoese fleet being destroyed, captured or damaged beyond repair. Crete is indeed liberated- and Venice and her allies are unable to recapture from the Cretans- but the alliance is forced into a quick retreat to lick their wounds. It gets better: following this is a well equipped Serbian army advancing southwards into Macedonia without much opposition, pushing (although not as easily as anticipated) through the undermanned and somewhat neglected army of Rome. In a wonderful few weeks, the anti-Genoese coalition ges from teetering on the edge of defeat, to renewing the offensive.

And perhaps in an equally cruel twist of fate, that ‘renewed offensive’ loses steam pretty quickly. Constantinople and Thessalonica are really close by, and their arsenals are up and ready. The wounds are licked, the forces regrouped and the battle lines restabilized. Even Serbia’s advance slows down once it comes to face with armed militia groups and akritoi border guards picking at supply lines and waging guerilla warfare from the mountains. This is then followed up with reserve units from Thrace coming to provide backup and actually managing to score a few victories against the Serbs. (The irony of Dusan being in the same situation Charles I of Hungary during his invasion of Serbia was not lost to him)

And so, the stalemate returns. Or so one would think. You see, while the lines do seem rather static for a couple months afterward, there’s this one event happens to shatter that fragile balance: In Alfonso’s Castile, King Alfonso XI has died, leaving no legitimate issue, but a host of bastards. It is the final straw in an increasingly unstable period in the kingdom. For Castile, this is a time of terror and woe- but for Aragon, this is opportunity. It is a matter far, far more pressing and just too good to ignore than crippling Genoa to make sure Aragon’s trade volume increases and its pirate’s aren’t harassed. While Aragon never officially removes itself from the conflict, the volume of men, arms and ships coming to aid the war front trickles to a fraction of its volume after the capture of Crete.

Aragon’s unofficial withdrawal seals Venice’s fate. In the absence of that much needed, er, everything, the republic simply isn’t able to keep up. By early 1356 the Venetian lagoon itself in a blockade intent and its navy has been shattered. Even additional aid from Serbia isn’t enough to divert the pressure as the imperials had managed to mount a successful resistance, driving the Serbs more than once back onto their territory. This was not helped by Serbia being smart enough to quit while it was ahead in exchange for status quo antebellum.

Anyways, everyone knows Venice had lost by this point. While there were a few warhawks who would push for a final last stand, cooler heads (and food riots) prevailed. Venice agreed to surrender in exchange for the city itself to be unharmed. Surprisingly, the enemy combatants agreed to this matter, although this was more of a case of ‘invading and subduing the city state would be extremely expensive and bloody and both combatants were pretty exhausted at this point’ rather than a love of their common man and a desire to avoid wartime atrocities. That does not mean, in any way Venice got off lightly.

Negotiated by Petrarch and the Milanese government (in the hopes that a ‘neutral’ third party might make negotiations smoother), the terms of the treaty would be a magnitude harsher than what they were in previous trade conflicts.

In summation, the treaty’s terms would be as followed:

-Venice would be barred from trading the Black Sea in its totality (this did not bar Venetians from trading, mind. Only the state owned Venetian trading company.)
-Venice would have to resume paying commercial dues to Romania they had ‘neglected’ to pay since the days of the Komnenoi.
-The Duchy of Candia (Crete) would receive its independence from the Venetian state. Venetian colonists would be expelled from the island and resettled whereon Genoa and Romania would see fit.
-Euboea was to be recognized as sovereign territory of the republic of Genoa.
-Limits would be imposed on the amount of active wartime vessels Venice would have.
-Romania would be confirmed in her annexation the territories of the duchy of Athens and the Ionian isles. The same with Genoa and Corfu.
-Naxos would be confirmed as territory of the beylik of Aydin.
-Reparations would be imposed to both states, including the transfer of objects looted from Constantinople from the Fourth Crusade.

And there you have it. The conclusion to a very brutal, but formative war in the newest phase of the Roman Empire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great update as usual in this timeline.

So is Crete now an independent duchy not directly under the control of either Genoa or Rome? Is that possibly to prevent them squabbling over who gets it?

Venice's threat to Rome has at least temporarily waned with this victory, although Genoan influence now extends further through the Aegean and beyond. This is certainly a huge improvement for the Romans, but also something a resurgent empire will find intolerable in the long-run.

Interesting to see the Aydinids (sp?) with territory on both sides of the Aegean now. Especially with their reputation as pirates and different religion from every other sea power in the region.

Rome's strategic position is massively improved, but it still has to contend with possible revanchism from Venice, Genoan tendrils through her heartland, and a powerful Serbia to her north. :eek:

The alliance with Bulgaria and understanding with the Aydinids looks absolutely vital right now. Rome's focus appears to be more on the seas and trade right now, but Serbia in time will have to be paid attention to as well. Perhaps at this point Hungarian and Roman interests will align, but for now it seems peace and quiet is more in tune with Rome's desires.

And dealing with all this will leave Rome as merely a strong regional power.

Wouldn't this have been the perfect time to demand restitution for the 4th crusade? It seems to me that Venice was ripe for the demand, and it would bring unmeasurable prestige to the dynasty if they could remove the stain associated with the loss of Constantinople.

I would have though that the Romans would have demanded back treasures and artifacts looted from the 4th Crusade as well. But great update as always!

I would've thought that part of the terms of the peace-treaty that Venice was forced to sign would be the return of all the artefacts they'd looted from Constantinople in the 1204 crusade.

Deleted member 67076

Great update as usual in this timeline.

So is Crete now an independent duchy not directly under the control of either Genoa or Rome? Is that possibly to prevent them squabbling over who gets it?
Yep. Its a cheap compromise but its better than trying co-dominion or allowing someone to get the grand prize.

Venice's threat to Rome has at least temporarily waned with this victory, although Genoan influence now extends further through the Aegean and beyond. This is certainly a huge improvement for the Romans, but also something a resurgent empire will find intolerable in the long-run.
The good news is that its easier to deal with one state trying to erode your income than 2.

Interesting to see the Aydinids (sp?) with territory on both sides of the Aegean now. Especially with their reputation as pirates and different religion from every other sea power in the region.
Well, Naxos was just lying there, doing nothing. :)

Rome's strategic position is massively improved, but it still has to contend with possible revanchism from Venice, Genoan tendrils through her heartland, and a powerful Serbia to her north. :eek:
Fortunately, Venice has been crippled, Genoa needs some time to rest (and is aware that Rome is much stronger now and therefore will be that much more cautious) and Serbia's fortune's only last if Stefan's successors can continue his smart policies and good gambles. Now historically Stefan's successor was absolutely terrible and led to the imploding of the Serbian Empire. Here, I honestly don't know if that will happen- whether or not Stefan V will be better or that the Serbians state will have enough time to develop the institutions it needs to support a bad ruler. If someone could help me with that I'd be very grateful.

The alliance with Bulgaria and understanding with the Aydinids looks absolutely vital right now. Rome's focus appears to be more on the seas and trade right now, but Serbia in time will have to be paid attention to as well. Perhaps at this point Hungarian and Roman interests will align, but for now it seems peace and quiet is more in tune with Rome's desires.

And dealing with all this will leave Rome as merely a strong regional power.
Right in the money here.

Wouldn't this have been the perfect time to demand restitution for the 4th crusade? It seems to me that Venice was ripe for the demand, and it would bring unmeasurable prestige to the dynasty if they could remove the stain associated with the loss of Constantinople.

Nah see the problem is the logistics needed for that. Venice would have about this time, say, between 40-60,000 people in the city. And while this does include women, children and elderly, there would most certainly be enough people that could have reasonably pulled off a successful defense against any invading naval force via local militias (and of course its likely that even kids and women would fight to save their hometown, for fear of losing).

So in the eyes of the commanders its very possible that their invading forces might have been pushed back. Therefore, they go at this the easy way- trying to starve the city into submission.

Also we also gotta to take into account that fighting's been going on for almost 6 years now; there's plenty of war exhaustion going on and despite the revanchism both sides want this done already. Genoa historically had riots about ending this war back in 1355 as it was costing so much money for the people. Here, that's somewhat mitigated by the news of being closer and closer to victory, but it wouldn't be wise to upset the people too much.

Its still a massive victory though, despite everything. Venice has been crippled at least for the next 3-5 decades and almost certainly would have to re-orient their priorities. We might see something like they begin to focus on the Italian mainland earlier.
I would have though that the Romans would have demanded back treasures and artifacts looted from the 4th Crusade as well. But great update as always!
That was supposed to be part of the reparations thing in the treaty. Sorry if it looked like this only meant monetary compensation.
Or better yet, sack Venice and annex the island-city:D
Annexing would annoy Genoa way, way too much. :p
I would've thought that part of the terms of the peace-treaty that Venice was forced to sign would be the return of all the artefacts they'd looted from Constantinople in the 1204 crusade.
Yeah, I should have been more specific. I'll edit that in.

How long before the Byzantine-empire says "Enough is enough" and moves in on the Ottomans and crushes their Beylik and take back Bythnia?

Why is the beylik of Aydin being given Naxos? Granted, Aydin deserves war gains, but I figure a chain of mostly Christian and Greek islands might not be the best concession - better to give that to the Greeks or Genoa and get gold or promised gains in Asia Minor in the future.

Eh, not that I expect thiers or Genoa's Greek gains to long survive

Deleted member 67076

How long before the Byzantine-empire says "Enough is enough" and moves in on the Ottomans and crushes their Beylik and take back Bythnia?
A decade or two, give or take, when the state has the treasury and the confidence to launch an expedition across the straits. Whether or not they'll be successful remains to be seen, because the Ottomans too have been making their own set of reforms as they did historically.
Could we have a map please?
Sure, give me a bit.
They're going to need time to recover, I think.
Mhm.

Why is the beylik of Aydin being given Naxos? Granted, Aydin deserves war gains, but I figure a chain of mostly Christian and Greek islands might not be the best concession - better to give that to the Greeks or Genoa and get gold or promised gains in Asia Minor in the future.

Eh, not that I expect thiers or Genoa's Greek gains to long survive

Mainly because the Aydinids just took it during the war and no one stopped them. Nor can or do the powers want to stop them; they're pretty exhausted by 1356 and starting another conflict over a (at the time) very poor chain of islands would have been another annoying, expensive endeavor and alienate a potential ally (in the eyes of Genoa), despite the strategic position.

Also, its worth noting Aydin would probably prefer the islands rather than Asian gains as they're a naval based power unlike the other Beyliks.

Deleted member 67076

Here's the map:

Eastern Med 1356.png

Nice map. Does that little gold spot above Candar mean that Genoa controls Sinope? As for Epirus, I'm pretty sure it was annexed by Andronikos III in 1337. IOTL, it was conquered by Uros V during the civil war, though I can't recall if he or Nikephoros Orsini made any moves ITTL.

Finally, with Venice weakened, Crete, Cyprus and Cilicia (if the Karamanids don't get the last one first) look like prime Mamluk chow.

Agreed with that, and Sov has his own ideas, but, well, I don't want to spoil his work.

Right now,the East Roman army is more or less slightly better than a militia force.It will be hard pressed against ghazi forces,let alone organised sipahis.Things will be worse if the janissaries are created earlier than they are in otl.

The main thing is since the regular army was more or less disbanded by the earlier Palaiologian Emperors,they will be building an army from the scratch.I believe they will need some foreign military advisors to help retrain a professional army.They will also need to equip their troops with the latest western equipment like plate armour.This, of course, depends if they can find the money to pay for all this.This is crucial.

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

The ERE will require some significant military reforms to actually give them an edge to fight against the Turks.
Definitely.
Agreed with that, and Sov has his own ideas, but, well, I don't want to spoil his work.
I do have some ideas but I'd love to hear any that you guys might have.
Nice map. Does that little gold spot above Candar mean that Genoa controls Sinope?
Genoa doesn't control the city but it has a trading post there not unlike that of Galata. I wanted to show that because it was a fairly important trade nexus in the Black Sea for Genoa.

As for Epirus, I'm pretty sure it was annexed by Andronikos III in 1337. IOTL, it was conquered by Uros V during the civil war, though I can't recall if he or Nikephoros Orsini made any moves ITTL.
Part it was IIRC. I know Andronikos marched south and took over everything up to Thessaly and installed a governor, but I don't recall him establishing entire control. In any case that would be somewhat of a moot point as Nikephoros Orsini was allied to John Kantakouzenos historically during the Civil War and would have had wartime control of the region creating once again a de facto independent state that has stayed out of imperial control due to, well, imperial weakness. This'll change of course, but Rome has a checklist of priorities to get through.

Finally, with Venice weakened, Crete, Cyprus and Cilicia (if the Karamanids don't get the last one first) look like prime Mamluk chow.
:D

Rediscovering Greek Fire for the navy?Time to have a good like at the imperial archives.I also recommend hiring a small force of a English Longbowmen.You might also want to hire them for service in exchange for land.There should be plenty of English archers out of work during the truces between England and France.They should counter the Turkish horse archers nicely.

Last edited:
Nice to see that the new Empire's baptism by fire went well. And Athens liberated, too.

Does the new map mean that Hungary has restored complete control over everything, or is Croatia still there in name only?

Fortunately, Venice has been crippled, Genoa needs some time to rest (and is aware that Rome is much stronger now and therefore will be that much more cautious) and Serbia's fortune's only last if Stefan's successors can continue his smart policies and good gambles. Now historically Stefan's successor was absolutely terrible and led to the imploding of the Serbian Empire. Here, I honestly don't know if that will happen- whether or not Stefan V will be better or that the Serbians state will have enough time to develop the institutions it needs to support a bad ruler. If someone could help me with that I'd be very grateful.

The implosion of the Serbian Empire began with something that would probably never happen in this TL's Serbian Kingdom (a low-level civil war started by a side branch of the dynasty which operated from conquered territories in Greece; here, they'd have no power base to even start anything).

If Stefan Dushan lives longer, that would also have a good effect, building up the King's power and authority and stronger institutions. And he would have more time to train and prepare his son for kingship.

The thing with Stefan Uros V is that he was, by all accounts, a reasonably competent ruler for the first 5-10 years of his reign. Then he withdrew and delegated everything to a divisive noble clique. The main problem with him was not any obvious personality flaw, but this sudden loss of interest in active rule. (no one is sure why) With more time to learn from his father and gain personal experience, inheriting a more consolidated country, and a less dangerous neighborhood, he could do fine enough.

In any case, Serbia will be to distracted with integrating and guarding the west and north; it won't start any hostilities with 'Romania' and Bulgaria any time soon, especially now that the Empire is clearly stronger than it was in a long, long time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.