Renovation: An Eastern Roman Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a long war, beginning in 1421 and ending in 1429. Yet it was worth it. Cappadocia, the traditional power base of the Eastern Roman Empire from the fall of Yarmouk to the ascent of Alexios Komnenos, was finally regained. Basil the Spaniard had obtained vast amounts of land to dole out to his followers, and the military was vindicated with a tremendous victory. And with this land, came the vital rearrangement of the balance of power; the nobility was given the land first and foremost, and the citizens of the conquered territory were reduced to tenants at best.

This bodes ill; as does anything for Byzantium that involves large estates and lack of smallholders.

I hope Maria doesn't die/get usurped and actually turns the tide against Basil the Spaniard...

Edit: But yes, I like it.

Deleted member 67076

Also, here's a quick and dirty map to help visualize the situation in 1430.

Dj0lcXl.png

Wow! My most awaited thing happens (well methodically and slowly, but yes ), the reconquest of Central Anatolia! Now the Empire has a superb recruiting base for cavalry and light infantry (after it is pacified, of course).

And superb update Sov. My most awaited update has finally taken place. Are we safe to assume that the updates will now come more or less regularly? Anyway I will be awaiting them nonetheless, because when they come, they are quality ones.

Deleted member 67076

Wow! My most awaited thing happens (well methodically and slowly, but yes ), the reconquest of Central Anatolia! Now the Empire has a superb recruiting base for cavalry and light infantry (after it is pacified, of course).

And superb update Sov. My most awaited update has finally taken place. Are we safe to assume that the updates will now come more or less regularly? Anyway I will be awaiting them nonetheless, because when they come, they are quality ones.
Central Anatolia shouldn't be too rowdy. Unlike Iran they don't make up a large minority of the entire Empire and don't have any governmental support. (Certainly less than the 30% of Iran or Kurdistan) And unlike many other places, the Romans can just shoot them and their herds (either with rockets or with cannons) into submission.

Thanks for the praise. I want to say things might be faster, but honestly I don't know. I just had enough spare time to write, and managed to get things done.

Central Anatolia shouldn't be too rowdy. Unlike Iran they don't make up a large minority of the entire Empire and don't have any governmental support. (Certainly less than the 30% of Iran or Kurdistan) And unlike many other places, the Romans can just shoot them and their herds (either with rockets or with cannons) into submission.

Thanks for the praise. I want to say things might be faster, but honestly I don't know. I just had enough spare time to write, and managed to get things done.

I'm curious as to whether there is still a massive slum population in Constantinople (or if there is one at all in this timeline?) - and if so, are they going to get resettled in parts of Anatolia? I'm sure that with tribes being chased off that there must be huge areas that are depopulated and important/lucrative resources to exploit and caravansary to establish/improve.

Deleted member 67076

I'm curious as to whether there is still a massive slum population in Constantinople (or if there is one at all in this timeline?) - and if so, are they going to get resettled in parts of Anatolia? I'm sure that with tribes being chased off that there must be huge areas that are depopulated and important/lucrative resources to exploit and caravansary to establish/improve.
Not necessarily. That slum population would have long since been resettled in Greece and Macedonia and several frontier areas of Anatolia prior to the conquest of Central Anatolia.

Note however, that though there are large depopulated swaths of land these new lands are owned by important families of magnates. This means that new settlers would have to be tenants on their land, which discourages settlement.

Not necessarily. That slum population would have long since been resettled in Greece and Macedonia and several frontier areas of Anatolia prior to the conquest of Central Anatolia.

Note however, that though there are large depopulated swaths of land these new lands are owned by important families of magnates. This means that new settlers would have to be tenants on their land, which discourages settlement.

Yeah...the Dynatoi need to be whacked before history repeats itself, only with corporate-landed interests monopolizing the system instead of just landed.

At least a number of Turks submitted to the Empire and became Auxilliaries/Scouts. It's not that far of a stretch that at least some Alevis are among them.

Also, here's hoping that with Maria, we get a whacking of Dynatoi, a lightening of burdens on the lower classes of all religions in the newly-conquered territories (because I'm pretty sure there are still some Christians in Central Anatolia by this time and that the Dynatoi made them tenants as well), and more lenient religious policies in general, if only to increase the number of converts vis-a-vis dead people.

Basically, I am half-expecting her to be like Queen Elizabeth I, a magnificent Virgin Queen/Empress, or a cross between Pulcheria of the earlier ERE and Theodora (the 11th Century one).

Then again, my expectations have been wrong before...

Well Maria will grow up seeing Basil pretty much spitting in the effort her family underwent to rebuild the Empire. She received top education, so she must have insight into what made the Empire recover.

Deleted member 67076

What do you make your maps in? I am trying out Paint.net so that I can use layering, but your political maps look really good.
MS Paint or GIMP.

Thank you for the map praise. I think they look pretty crummy most of the time.

MS Paint or GIMP.

Thank you for the map praise. I think they look pretty crummy most of the time.

They do show all the pertinent information and nothing extraneous. It's good to see such focus, and it makes it easy to tell what's going.

I do like your choice of Roman Red instead of the old Byzantine purple. It looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.