Renovation: An Eastern Roman Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point taken, but she still uplifted the lower classes and the oppressed (Women) while being a paranoid prick at the same time.
Not sure she uplifted the oppressed but she created massive instability in the politics of the Tang Dynasty.As a result of her actions,there were ridiculous numbers of coups in the Tang Dynasty.The officials also used her as an example of not to give power to women.There was a strong backlash against women in power after she was deposed.

Not sure she uplifted the oppressed but she created massive instability in the politics of the Tang Dynasty.As a result of her actions,there were ridiculous numbers of coups in the Tang Dynasty.The officials also used her as an example of not to give power to women.There was a strong backlash against women in power after she was deposed.

True, but, and granted, this is according to a children's history book (Adeline Yen Mah's China: Land of Dragons and Emperors):

Empress Wu published farming manuals to help farmers and introduced labor-saving devices in agriculture. She reduced taxes and allowed the peasants to keep a larger share of the produce for themselves. She chose her ministers for their talent alone, not for their birth, her connections, or gender. Her palace secretary was a woman poet. The Empress listened to her critics and rewarded those who gave good advice.

Last edited:
Both Wu Zetian herself and her first husband--the latter actually killed his brothers and imprisoned his father to ascend the throne.

True.

But point is, Maria Palailogina has the potential to be like either Queen Elizabeth I/Pulcheria/Theodora Makedonia, Indira Gandhi/Golda Meir, or someone in-between like Wu Zeitan. Sky is the limit.

Also, Sov implied that the dynasty ends with her, so I think that any instability she causes would be temporary.

Was Irene particularly bad as empress?I don't think so.She got overthrown in the end,but she seems to be a lot more competent than a lot other emperors.The real incompetent empresses were Zoe and Theodora.If you saw Pulcheria as an actual Empress Regnant,then the whole thing gets thrown out of the window.

Double-post; actually, the part about Theodora is inaccurate, according to Carp (writer of Sons of the Harlot Empress on this site). Theodora was actually competent, albeit rather severe towards private enemies. Her only real crime was not having enough years to rule competently.

Just found thiz yesterday. I like what you've done so far. The only disappointment so is that it seems to be almost complete as soon I get into it. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.