Renovation: An Eastern Roman Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it does mean, if they never reformed, why would they reform in this TL? One of the (many) reasons that they use to claim that they are the "true" christian sect is because they do follow the same theological doctrine since their creation. We can expect a lot of things to chance in this TL, but not the orthodoxy

Why would the ERE go merchant in this timeline, other than the author says so. It could be a change in approach to usury, an peculiar sect gains dominance (i.e. Iconoclasm?).

Why would the ERE go merchant in this timeline, other than the author says so. It could be a change in approach to usury, an peculiar sect gains dominance (i.e. Iconoclasm?).

Except that there actually was precedent for that in OTL/IRL, in the person of Alexios Apokaukos. Granted, at that same period, there was precedent for Orthodoxy moving close to change in the form of Baarlam, but since Baarlam was a jerk, Palamas and Hesychasm would still have more 'staying power'.

Deleted member 67076

There was one posted a few pages ago. Albeit I need to update that regarding the finalization of states in India.

Economics and a shift in court culture mostly.

The 13th and 14th century intellectual movements within the Byzantine always had an undercurrent of those pushing that the empire needed to adapt and copy what the Italians were doing in light of the empires perennial near bankruptcy and weak economy. Additionally, this reformist movement was a reaction to the increasingly powerful aristocracy who were resented by the peasantry and the middle class.

A shift in usury is unlikely at this point given that the church still holds great power, and also the methodology on investment. Unlike in Western Europe, the bulk of large scale commercial activity is government owned and financed, lessening the need for investors who want to make sure they can get profits out of it. The government doesn't need to have loans that high nor does it fit in with the ethos of a reform minded, populist regime.

Deleted member 67076

Finished Timelines.

Here would be nice.

Well there's a conflict. And looking it up, it seems both areas have been used for Story Only threads.

Don't be embarrassed. Real life is more important.

Yup!

Oh, and before I forget- here's the India and Southeast Asia map. Bit rough, but this region isn't my forte.

cmXYVNF.jpg

Well there's a conflict. And looking it up, it seems both areas have been used for Story Only threads.

Yup!

Oh, and before I forget- here's the India and Southeast Asia map. Bit rough, but this region isn't my forte.

cmXYVNF.jpg

Umm Sov without the Yadavas being conquered I don't think Vijayanagara Empire would ever come into being because Vijayanagara was basically a rebel state against the Delhi Sultanate which would never arise if Delhi never conquers South India in the first place. The Hoysalas and Pandyas would still be around if there never was a Southern expedition under Malik Kafur which isn't possible cause the Yadavas stand between them.

And Orissa is basically the territory of the Kakatiyas who, I don't think would let the Yadavas reach the Eastern Coast so easily as I doubt the Hoysalas would like it too (well it doesn't matter if they have weakened or busy somewhere else). Especially the Pandyas would make life difficult for the Yadavas on the East Coast by constant raids as they will not just sit back and watch a credible challenge arise to their new found naval strength.

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

Umm Sov without the Yadavas being conquered I don't think Vijayanagara Empire would ever come into being because Vijayanagara was basically a rebel state against the Delhi Sultanate which would never arise if Delhi never conquers South India in the first place. The Hoysalas and Pandyas would still be around if there never was a Southern expedition under Malik Kafur which isn't possible cause the Yadavas stand between them.

And Orissa is basically the territory of the Kakatiyas who, I don't think would let the Yadavas reach the Eastern Coast so easily as I doubt the Hoysalas would like it too (well it doesn't matter if they have weakened or busy somewhere else). Especially the Pandyas would make life difficult for the Yadavas on the East Coast by constant raids as they will not just sit back and watch a credible challenge arise to their new found naval strength.
Oh OK. Will edit this when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.