Renovation: An Eastern Roman Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, let me tell you something

I spent six hours to read the 43 chapters of your AAR, and I cannot describe how epic it is, and how happy am I to know that still being updated

I just have one question...why did the font of the last update changed?

Deleted member 67076

Super happy to see the reception.

Dude, let me tell you something

I spent six hours to read the 43 chapters of your AAR, and I cannot describe how epic it is, and how happy am I to know that still being updated

I just have one question...why did the font of the last update changed?
Man you have no idea how happy it makes me to read statements like this. :) I'm very glad you're enjoying this.

I changed the font because the site recently had a software update and Times New Roman was coming out rather small, and I felt like it was an eyesore. (For me at least)

did the zealots of thessalonika left an ideological impact on the romans?
Yep. We can think of them leaving an imprint similar to that of Liberation Theology in Latin America

hey sov i'd like to ask two things about cyprus ,first: whats your plans for cyprus in the future? and second: how's life in cyprus for the greeks in there under genoa?

Yes!! An update finally! How happy I am to see this fine piece of work back into life! Hope Sov has as little problems as possible to continue updating this great work. Reading it back and forth 3 times has made me like all the more.

And welcome back Sov. Hope you continue to keep us on the edge of our seats with your work.

Deleted member 67076

hey sov i'd like to ask two things about cyprus ,first: whats your plans for cyprus in the future? and second: how's life in cyprus for the greeks in there under genoa?
Cyprus right now would be annexed (or in the process of being vassalized and later annexed) by the Timurid Sultanate of Egypt who would be now have stabilized and have started looking outward to expand.

Decently well I'd imagine, the Genoans don't seem to have treated the Greeks too badly, as far as I'm aware (I could be wrong) but Cyprus is more or less just seen as a place to put naval bases and tax people, rather than as an integral province, thus the state cares for it less than say, its Italian territories. If that makes sense.

i'm just asking because life for the greeks in cyprus under the frankish,venetian and ottoman rule was nasty . that is 900 years of oppresion,high taxes and goverments that don't care about the native's well beign

Deleted member 67076

If you don't mind Sov could you provide us a map of the current situation? And what is the status of the powers surrounding the Empire on the economic and military fronts?
Sure, give me a bit to work out the details of this map.

Well we've 5 main states surrounding the Imperials: Bulgaria, Naples, Crimea, Karaman and Genoa.

Bulgaria is the rising regional power, that is becoming a textbook example of a gunpowder empire. It is increasingly centralized (a reaction against the centrifugal tendencies of the Second Bulgarian Empire) with a large fraction of the lands being owned by crown. Bulgaria also has a budding bureaucracy (ok, so they did before but now it can actually do things on a level Rome can appreciate) and an increasingly large and well trained (but not really professional) military. Its got a pretty bright future thanks to a combination of better institutions, friendly relations with Rome (the grain and mineral trade brings in a steady stream of income for the Tsar) and a string of competent monarchs.

Naples is also another rising power, being now the single most powerful state in Italy. Its got everything from Lazio to the south, with the exception of Sicily (that is currently semi independent under heavy Genoese influence) along with a personal union with the Duchy of Provence (who France wants to snatch so badly but can't as Naples is a useful ally and check against the HRE's Italian territories). Unlike Bulgaria however, relations are frosty at best with Rome and the two states see each other with mutual suspicion but they have had little reason to butt heads thus far, given Naples had a long, strenuous 14th century dealing with near dynastic collapse and the whole Western Schism thing. I would say Naples is by far the most pressing threat, given that it is the most populated, organized and richest of Rome's neighbors. They also have a functioning navy, unlike the others, which adds another dynamic.

Their recent conquests of Central Italy, critically the annexation of the former Papal States will leave them wracked with some turmoil in the short term as they try to digest their holdings and deal with the ecclesiastical institutions but in the medium and long term it will be a powerful addition. Assuming they hold it that long.

While the Neapolitans don't have a standing military, they do have access to vast amounts of well trained and equipped mercenaries.

Then there's Crimea, the newest state on the bloc. A successor of the Golden Horde, that state's implosion following the Timurids decimation has left a vacuum that is now starting to be filled by successors that don't like to work with each other. The Crimean Khanate (different dynasty as the OTL one) is your run of the mill Steppe Empire. Very loosely organized, based mostly on plunder and controlling key trading posts and with an army that's almost all cavalry, its not much of a threat in this era of gunpowder and mass infantry. The slave raiding expeditions will be a serious problem however. At least until Russia crushes them.

Afterwords we have Karaman. Arguably the most pressing threat given its united all of non Greek Anatolia under its rule. Its economy is middling to poor; the state lacks the institutions and government planning to fine tune development like Rome does, but it does take steps to regulate tax collection and trade. Additionally, Anatolia has seen better days since the Mongol invasion and the influx of nomads (that like to hog all the productive land). The military is no joke however, and is a mixed force of both cavalry and infantry. I would say the army is like the Safavid dynasty's if I were to find an analogy. Karaman doesn't really have a navy worth caring about, given its elites are still somewhat steppe in culture.

And last but certainly not least, Genoa. Genoa is a bit weird here given what it controls is more of a series of chokepoints rather than a contiguous territory. Their economy, despite recent setbacks is set to rebound to its previous levels given the stabilization of the Levant and Egypt, resuming the Silk Road trade to a normal state. That makes them the richest of Rome's neighbors and of course, the most dangerous if put to good use. Genoa's navy is also just plain better than Rome's (size, experience of fleet, technologies, you name it) at this moment. Its what the state has geared itself to survive on, and thus where they put most of their effort towards. The army, like with the rest of the Italian states is mercenary based. Only difference is, Genoa's money can buy it a very large army. That said, Genoa isn't the most pressing threat given merchant republics don't like long periods of war, and they know that taking down Rome would mean a long, brutal war, just like the last time.

i'm just asking because life for the greeks in cyprus under the frankish,venetian and ottoman rule was nasty . that is 900 years of oppresion,high taxes and goverments that don't care about the native's well beign

True that.

Deleted member 67076

@Soverihn , I like it!

And, squee, I'm rooting for Maria Palailogina already; I'm sure that with good enough tutelage, she'll manage to get through those challenges.
Or get killed and become a footnote of history. ;)

well if the greeks in cyprus are still oppresed i am thinking that a zealot revolt could solve that.*hint**hint*
Unfortunately no. Revolt there would be cracked like a walnut under a sledgehammer.

Also, so I've not forgotten that map and as proof- here's my current WIP for the world in 1415. Large sections are still blank as I need to figure out what to do with them. (suggestions very welcome)

Feel free to notice and comment on the various changes worldwide.

WECxoaR.jpg

(suggestions very welcome)

This is the phrase I like the most here in this forum

well, India seems quite clean, I would like to suggest one thing, the Yadava dynasty (my favorite indian dynasty so far) was one of the oldest dynasties in the XIV century india, but sadly they collapsed in 1334, what about the Yadavans having a better XIII and XIV centuries in this TL and managing to unify india by the late XVI century? They could fight many wars against the timurids too :D

Or get killed and become a footnote of history. ;)

Unfortunately no. Revolt there would be cracked like a walnut under a sledgehammer.

Also, so I've not forgotten that map and as proof- here's my current WIP for the world in 1415. Large sections are still blank as I need to figure out what to do with them. (suggestions very welcome)

Feel free to notice and comment on the various changes worldwide.

WECxoaR.jpg

I think India is too much significant to be left blank around this time. This is because as be may be surely knowing that India was dominated by 4 main powers during this period the Vijayanagara Empire, the Bahamani Sultanate, the Delhi Sultanate and the Rajput States (who mostly united under external threats). The other middle powers (with significant power to prove a credible threat to those major powers) such as the Sultanate of Gujarat and the Sultanate of Malwa too cannot be ignored.

So my suggestion is that you should fill up India in your map. Also I think leaving out the East Indies would be improper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.