Portuguese Southern Africa - a TL

In the East Indies, the Dutch capture Fort Marlborough on the island of Sumatra from the British, and they join the French in Bengal in fighting the British through a number of allied rulers. In Africa, the British do manage to capture the French slave forts of Gorée and St. Louis. Also, the joint British and Spanish navies in the West Indies force the French and Dutch islands to remain on the defensive, leading to the British capturing the French island of St. Lucia. Further north, the British are able to capture the French fortress at Louisbourg in Acadia. However, the French are able to defeat British forces in New York, maintaining their control over the Iroquois country.

In 1758, the Prussians are able to repulse the Austrian armies from Berlin despite the overwhelming odds. Afterwards, the Prussians go on the offensive, invading Poland in order destroy Russian troops and munitions before they arrive in Germany. There they are met by 90,000 Russian troops, but gain the upper hand. The Swedes meanwhile have been driven back to the defensive in Pomerania. The Austrians send troops through Poland to meet the Russians as well. All of this draws the French ally of Poland into the war against Prussia as well. However, Poland is weak and has a relatively small army.

Further South, the Spanish invade Aragon and are able to capture much of Aragon itself, however they face stiff resistance in Catalonia and Valenica. The French are able to send some 11,000 men and are able to force the Spanish to retreat, with the situation largely at a stalemate.

The Royal Navy also establish a blockade around the Netherlands, however French privateers from Dunkirk begin inflicting heavy damages on British shipping and raiding small coastal towns along the southern coast of England. Also, 24,000 Dutch troops are sent to Pomerania to Franconia to assist the French against the Prussians.

In 1759, the British and Spanish are able to occupy Dutch Guiana, however the British attack on Curaçao fails. In Acadia, the French have lost Louisbourg, but still remain firmly in control of the rest of the colony and have pushed British out of most of Maine, through the use of the Mi'kmaq and Abenaki allies by organizing armed raids against coastal settlements in Maine and New Hampshire. Further south, the Cherokee have entered into an alliance with the French, forcing provincial militias further south to defend isolated settlements.

The Prussians had fought bravely, but they are encircled by their enemies and cut toff from the sea and any reinforcements. During the spring of 1759, an additional 40,000 Russians entered Poland to attack the Prussians, forcing them to retreat to Kolberg. After a three-month long siege, the city was captured by the Russians and more than 18,000 Prussian troops were captured or killed. The Prussians and British desperately tried to get the Ottoman Empire to join the war on their side, but to no avail. With fewer than 30,000 troops left and Berlin encircled, Prussia capitulated to the French, Austrian and Russian forces in May 1759.

With the news of Prussia's defeat, Spain too withdrew from the war, making peace with the Dutch, French and Austrians. Fearing a French invasion, the British agreed to make peace in September 1759.

Peace in 1760

1. Prussia would return Saxony to the House of Wettin, once again making it an electorate within the Holy Roman Empire. To Austria, it ceded Silesia and to the United Provinces it would cede East Friesland and Wehl. Finally, it would withdraw from Western Pomerania along with Stettin, ceding these lands to Sweden.

2. Spain would get to keep Gibraltar, however it would be forced to evacuate Dutch Guiana. Also, it had to grant Britain the right to obtain timber in Central America. Its borders with Aragon reverted to what they had been before the war.

3. Britain returned Chandernagore to the French, on the condition that it could not be fortified. Louisbourg was also returned along with Saint Lucia, Dakar and Gorée. In return, a boundary commission was established in North America to settle the boundaries at the Eastern Continental Divide with the St. Croix and St. John Rivers forming the border between New England and Acadia down and then Eastwards to the Continental Divide.

4. France returned Fort St. David in Madras and ceded Dominica permanently to Great Britain. Also, France would receive the Ionian Islands from Great Britain.

5. The Netherlands received Fort Marlborough in Sumatra along with British recognition of this being a Dutch Island. In return, Hooghly in Bengal was returned to the Dutch, with the provision that it could not be fortified. The Dutch for their part returned to the British the slave forts in West Africa that they had captured. In addition, Dutch Guiana was returned in its entirety by Spain. Finally, the Dutch received East Friesland and Wehl from Prussia.

6. Western Pomerania including Stettin, was restored to the Swedes.

7. The Electorate of Hanover, along with the Duchies of Hesse and Brunswick would be evacuated and returned to the antebellum status quo.

8. Russia received the right to transit troops through Poland without hindrance during times of war. In addition, Russia was secretly given the right to annex Wallachia and Moldavia by the Kingdom of Hungary, France, Austria, and Sweden. This would lead to a Russian attack on the Ottoman Empire.

Last edited:
Europe in 1761

A map of the changes in Europe as a result of the Peace in 1760 Europe 1761.png

Europe 1761.png

Austria reclaims her leadership role in Germany, no contest. Maybe in a couple of generations they can leverage this into unification under the House of Habsburg.

North America 1760-1790

In 1760, the French population of French North America (Canada, Louisiana, Acadia) numbered 105,000. Though settled in the early 17th century, the French had considered North America to be a marginal area, its principal raison d'etre being to limit the scope of British North America. Meanwhile, by 1760 the British Colonies had over 1.3 million settlers of European descent along with one-quarter of a million African slaves.

Closing the population gap became imperative, the French Crown recruited 12,000 settlers in 1761 alone to settle in frontier lands on the Western side of the Continental Divide so as to prevent British incursions. Between 1760 and 1790 around 250,000 French and another 100,000 foreigners (mostly Germans from Alsace, Lorraine, Rhineland, Switzerland) would be settled in French North America in an attempt to bolster the French population. Also, the French crown built several new fortresses and maintained a standing army of 11,000 troops in New France. Troops were granted free land and all of this would allow the French population to increase to around 850,000 by 1790. However, all of this was all financially draining on the crown, causing France to borrow heavily to finance these projects, and sink deeper into debt.

The British North American colonies remained divided as they had been before the war. Only in New England could the colonies agree on a policy of common defence. However, the colonial legislatures were reluctant to raise the necessary funds for the war, forcing the royal governors to assert greater control. Mostly this led to some protests, but most importantly it led to large areas being largely open to French invasion.

To most setters, it seemed that now the French were a greater menace than ever, and had it not been for British troops, the colonies would most likely have been overrun by the French and their Indian allies. Now, not only were the French arming large numbers of Indians, but they were beginning to settle areas in the Ohio Valley that the British settlers had hoped to usurp. By 1790, the population of European ancestry in the British colonies would grow to 3.2 million, in addition there would be nearly 800,000 persons of African ancestry, mostly slaves.

Are Hungary and Saxony in a personal union? They seem to be colored identically at first glance.

Are Hungary and Saxony in a personal union? They seem to be colored identically at first glance.

They are, under the House of Wettin, as once the Austrian-backed choice for the King of Poland was removed (by the Swedes with French backing), in addition Saxony had been annexed by Prussia. In return, he was given the Crown of Hungary. Hungary had revolted against the Habsburgs and its Diet had been persuaded by the great powers to grant it to the House of Wettin. France and Prussia had backed the Hungarian revolt and thought as a peace offering, the House of Wetting was allowed to reign there.

However, in the past war the Hungarians agreed to help the Habsburgs against Prussia in return for the assistance in getting back the fairly wealthy region of Saxony. Fearful of the Ottomans, they waited until Russia threw its weight against Prussia as well. The throne will be split, with the eldest gaining Hungary and the younger son gaining Saxony. Still ruled by the same dynasty, but much as the various states under different branches of the House Bourbon in OTL.

Ah, cool. Interesting that Portugal opted for neutrality in that last war when Potosí is still out of their hands, and Britain was clearly losing against the French. If there was ever a time for the Portuguese to jump ship, that was it.

Ah, cool. Interesting that Portugal opted for neutrality in that last war when Potosí is still out of their hands, and Britain was clearly losing against the French. If there was ever a time for the Portuguese to jump ship, that was it.

Lisbon is still rebuilding from the 1755 earthquake as are many smaller communities in the Algarve. No matter how wealthy the country is, I believe in a war like this the rulers (The King and his ministers) will prefer to remain outside of the fray. Besides the smuggling of silver out is important, but the contraband trade is quite profitable. This most likely would be lost by any attempt to grab Potosí.

Finally, fearing the Portuguese, the region of the silver mines will be heavily protected. With all of the gold coming from southern Africa, it simply isn't worth the trouble. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the Portuguese are going to spend this time consolidating their grip over much of India by building alliances and buying off rulers to the exclusion of other European powers.

Lisbon is still rebuilding from the 1755 earthquake as are many smaller communities in the Algarve. No matter how wealthy the country is, I believe in a war like this the rulers (The King and his ministers) will prefer to remain outside of the fray. Besides the smuggling of silver out is important, but the contraband trade is quite profitable. This most likely would be lost by any attempt to grab Potosí.

Finally, fearing the Portuguese, the region of the silver mines will be heavily protected. With all of the gold coming from southern Africa, it simply isn't worth the trouble. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the Portuguese are going to spend this time consolidating their grip over much of India by building alliances and buying off rulers to the exclusion of other European powers.

All very good points. At this point, Brazil is effectively Brazil plus Argentina, minus Argentina's northwestern Andean provinces and Patagonia, right? That is one potentially monstrous state, and I'm giddy about it :D

Will Portugal be getting more involved in the Mediterranean? After the successful conquest of Cyprus, seeing Portugal messing about in Egypt and the rest of North Africa seems all too likely now.

I'm also going to go ahead and take a few stabs at what could be Portugal's strategic objectives; with respect to Portugal proper, it will be to either pillage more Castillian colonies(like the Philippines or the Marianas due to Portugal's growing interests in the Pacific) or find some form of reconciliation with Castille to ensure continental Portugal's safety.

Next would probably be more expansion in India, as you mentioned; I'm actually surprised Portugal hasn't demonstrated interest in taking Bombay from Britain, as it's the only notable city held by a European power that precludes a near monopoly on the western half of India's coast, IIRC.

After that, more expansion in Africa seems likely, specifically into the East African interior where the Portuguese will probably have the most luck settling.

South America, as you mentioned, is probably a lock for the most part. Portugal maaay have a passive interest in Guyana but I'd imagine that if they were in a position to demand land from the Dutch, before Guyana it would probably be other islands in the Indonesian archipelago. Supporting independent states in South America might be another policy that Portugal might adopt.

Finally, I feel like Portugal and Hawaii are destined to come together sooner than later. It's just too useful of a piece of land for Portugal to not be interested.

All very good points. At this point, Brazil is effectively Brazil plus Argentina, minus Argentina's northwestern Andean provinces and Patagonia, right? That is one potentially monstrous state, and I'm giddy about it :D

Will Portugal be getting more involved in the Mediterranean? After the successful conquest of Cyprus, seeing Portugal messing about in Egypt and the rest of North Africa seems all too likely now.

I'm also going to go ahead and take a few stabs at what could be Portugal's strategic objectives; with respect to Portugal proper, it will be to either pillage more Castillian colonies(like the Philippines or the Marianas due to Portugal's growing interests in the Pacific) or find some form of reconciliation with Castille to ensure continental Portugal's safety.

Next would probably be more expansion in India, as you mentioned; I'm actually surprised Portugal hasn't demonstrated interest in taking Bombay from Britain, as it's the only notable city held by a European power that precludes a near monopoly on the western half of India's coast, IIRC.

After that, more expansion in Africa seems likely, specifically into the East African interior where the Portuguese will probably have the most luck settling.

South America, as you mentioned, is probably a lock for the most part. Portugal maaay have a passive interest in Guyana but I'd imagine that if they were in a position to demand land from the Dutch, before Guyana it would probably be other islands in the Indonesian archipelago. Supporting independent states in South America might be another policy that Portugal might adopt.

Finally, I feel like Portugal and Hawaii are destined to come together sooner than later. It's just too useful of a piece of land for Portugal to not be interested.

In this TL, Portugal kept Bombay (Bombaim) and Tangier. There was no territorial dowry with Catherine of Bragança when she married Charles II. Therefore, Bombaim has surpassed Damão, but not Goa. The British are limited to Fort St. David (Madras) and Calcutta. However, the Portuguese still control Porto Grande de Bengala (Chittagong).

I do feel the need to do something about North Africa though, piracy was a major issue and in OTL, Portugal, Spain and the Italian states often teamed up to raid places like Algiers, Tunis, etc at various times. Also, Portugal does have Ceuta, Tangier, Arzila, Mazagan on the Moroccan coast, so perhaps a war of conquest is in order.

In my TL, it wasn't Portugal that grabbed Cyprus, but rather the Savoys, as they were heirs to the Kingdom of Cyprus. They now rule over 8 million people and were able to get the small fleets of Genoa and Venice upon their conquest, giving them a decent size naval power. Also, they also managed to acquire Trieste. They are still digesting their conquests, but in some respects they are going to be the Prussia of the South, with a well disciplined army, and a counterweight to the developing Franco-Austrian alliance.

One thing that I see developing is either the British or French ditching the Ottomans to keep themselves allied with the Russians. In this TL they don't have to deal with the Habsburgs only a somewhat weak Hungary. That means that Russia is going to most likely get what it wants in the Balkans.

I do plan on expanding the inland settlements in Africa, especially because due to the Portuguese and especially Dutch quinine is readily available after the 1750s. This will make settling certain parts of the world much more feasible for Europeans.

As for the Guianas, I'm not too sure the Portuguese would be all that interested. In OTL they ended up with Maranhão and Pará being marginal regions at best throughout the 18th century. They did constantly send more settlers to the region, and attempted to grow spices there, but the settlers preferred cotton. Also, in OTL the settlers in this region of Brazil constantly complained about the lack of slaves. Cacheu and Geba in Guinea will help that a bit. In OTL the Portuguese did take over French Guiana in 1809, but they did not want to keep it, so what would they want with Dutch Guiana?

Also, at this point I believe the Portuguese are finding the Dutch useful as a counterweight to the English. The VOC is no longer a threat, and the Portuguese would rather see them in the Indies than the British or French companies.

Oh, awesome on that bit about Bombay. I hadn't kept track on that bit, or it must have slipped my mind.

I should have probably clarified what I meant with the conquest of Cyprus; with Joao's success in defeating the Ottoman fleet(that led to the conquest of Cyprus by Savoy), it seems as though they're very much in a position to harass the Muslim Mediterranean states. I'd agree that Morocco seems like a likely target of a war of conquest, and sooner than later; Portugal certainly has the resources to do it now.

And now I'm sad for the Ottomans :( But it's to be expected. I just wonder whether they'll be able to keep Constantinople or not, but to be fair the Ottomans seem to have had a bit more success than they did in OTL; Crimea is still currently their vassal state and hasn't been turned into Novorossiya(spelling?)

Yeah, I figured as much too. It seems like something they'd pick up on the side, if at all. But it's definitely something I could see Portugal receiving for 'helping' in a war as a minor player, or rather, more to punish the owner of Guyana than aid Portugal.

Second Northern War 1762

I know I'll be criticized for not creating new rulers for Russia etc, but I'll just stick with using Peter III and Catherine II of Russia as characters because I find them fascinating.

In 1762, Tsarina Elizabeth of Russia died, leaving the throne to her immature son Peter of Holstein-Gottorp, who took the title of Tsar Peter III. Upon ascending the throne, he asserted his claim to the throne of Sweden (he was the senior heir of King Charles XI of Sweden), along with that of the Duchy of Holstein-Gottorp, now partially under Danish occupation. To that end, Tsar Peter III assembled armies to invade Finland, Livonia and make their way to Denmark. With that in mind, he entered into an alliance with King Frederick of Prussia, a ruler he admired and sought to emulate.

King Frederick II of Prussia eagerly joined the Russians in this offensive as he saw this as a chance to gain his revenge against both Austria and Sweden. The first offensive began in May 1762 when Russian troops crossed through Poland and entered Livonia. Further north, a Russian army of 24,000 men had been assembled to take Finland and make its way towards Stockholm.

The Prussians for their part invaded Swedish Pomerania in May 1762, however in early June, Frederick surprised the world by attacking Saxony and Bohemia as well. By taking the Austrians by surprise in a preemptive strike, he hoped to crush their army once and for all. This shocked both Paris and London and brought the British and French governments to ally themselves with Sweden and Denmark against the Russians and Prussians. Further south, the Franco-British alliance the managed to get the Ottomans to begin preparations to invade Russia as well.

By June, the Russian forces in Finland had captured Viborg and were set to attack Helsingfors, meanwhile the Swedes had been able to defeat the Russians in Livonia, stalling their advance on Reval. The Prussians had taken much of Saxony, though this brought Hungary onto the side of the allies. However, by late June, a Russian army was heading westward, and had entered Mecklenburg and setting the stage for an invasion of Denmark.

The Danes though were able to achieve one important victory, on 2 June, 1762 the Danish Navy was able to destroy most of the Russian Baltic Fleet in battle off the coast of Rügen. This allowed a Swedish force of 6,000 men disembark at Reval and defend Livonia. The British meanwhile ordered an army assembled in Hanover and Brunswick to defend the Electorate. Meanwhile King George III authorized the entrance of French troops into Hanover to face off with the Prussians and Russians.

Initially the Prussians did well with their surprise attacks on Saxony and Austria, however series of quick Prussian victories, was soon followed by setbacks. With complete dominance of the Baltic, a French force of 11,000 men had been able to land at Stettin in Pomerania. This was followed by Bavaria's entry in the war against Prussia. In addition, the French began mobilizing over 200,000 men, with a force sailing for Finland. The British prepared an expeditionary force to Livonia as well. The Prussian forces were outnumbered and stretched out, and on 4 July 1762 the Austrians were able to win a decisive victory at Pilsen. This was soon followed by another victory at Schwerin by Danish and Hanoverian forces against the Russians on 9 July.

Meanwhile, in Russia, the Tsar's consort Catherine of Anhalt had orchestrated a palace coup against her increasingly unpopular husband placing him under house arrest, this was soon followed by his murder. With the backing of much of Russia's army along with the nobility, Catherine assumed the Russian throne. The new Tsarina realized that the war was going disastrously for Russia as a large coalition had now formed against Russia. Therefore, she entered into negotiations with the French and British thorough the Polish Ambassador to end the war. She agreed to withdraw all of Russia's troops from Swedish and Danish territory. By August of 1757, Prussia alone was fighting and it too sued for peace by September 1757.

The war had destroyed the Russian Navy and allowed to Ottomans to reassert their control over the Tatars. Catherine II would spend the next few years rebuilding alliances and expanding the navy while building a newer more powerful navy. Her attention would now focus on expanding the Russian Empire at the expense of the Ottomans, rather than in the Baltic. Her goal became to retake Constantinople for the Orthodox Church.

For the Prussians, the war had been a disaster as the country was largely bankrupt from Frederick II's wars. He was able to win back a minor concession in the form of some towns, including Stettin from Swedish Pomerania. However, Frederick now sought to cultivate good relations with the Russians, as his designs turned eastward towards Poland. The Russian Tsars also relinquished their rights to the Swedish throne, meanwhile the Ducal House of Holstein-Gottorp was compensated with the Duchy of Oldenburg.

The Austrians had suffered too from this war as their treasury had been largely depleted by several years of warfare. The following decades would be marked by an attempt to foster closer relations with France. To that end, Empress Maria Theresa would have her daughter Archduchess Maria Antonia betrothed to the Dauphin of France in 1770.

For the French and British, this war marked the first time in centuries that the two countries had been allied in war. The cooperation during this brief war would signal a period thawing relations between the two countries. These included the resolution of border and territorial disputes in North America and the West Indies. It also was marked by expanding commercial relations between the two powers, as British merchants in particular sought to enter Europe's largest market.

Enlightenment in Portugal

The Portuguese Empire during the reign of King José I (1750-1777) would experinece some of the most drastic changes in centuries.

During the reign of King João V (1706-1750), Portugal's fortunes had improved dramatically with the discovery of diamonds and gold in Brazil, this was followed up with the discovery of even larger quantities of gold in Nova Lusitânia towards the end of his reign. This unprecedented windfall, allowed the Portuguese monarchy to consolidate its absolute rule, as it no longer require the Cortes (Parliament) to raise revenues. The monarchy became the head of a rentier state with the monarch assuming the role of distributor of wealth, titles, essentially buying the support of the elites, and their subjects at large. On the international scale, this wealth also allowed Portugal to build the world's largest navy and an efficient army staffed largely by mercenaries.

However, the increase of gold and diamond wealth had the effect of rapidly increasing foreign imports into Portugal and the Empire. The import of luxury goods from France and manufactured textiles from England, had allowed a significant amount of this gold to flow to northern Europe. Domestic manufacturing largely languished during the first half of the 18th century. Rather, King João V spent amounts of his gold revenues building oppulent palaces, monasteries and public works in Lisbon and its environs. Funds were also lavished on the church as opulent embassies were sent to Rome to curry the favour of the Pope.

During the first years of José I's reign, he largely followed the policies of his father. Indeed, his first act as king in May 1751 was to be acclaimed king with an opulent coronation ceremony. Previously, Portuguese kings had been acclaimed with a fairly simple ceremony followed by a mass. King José I and his court orchestrated a ceremony full of pomp to rival the coronations of the Byzantine Emperors of yesteryear. For his coronation, new crown jewels were commissioned including a heavy diamond-encrusted crown himself, and a smaller one for his consort. A crimson velvet coronation robe lined with ermine and with jewels sewn in by gold, diamond covered sceptres, orbs, and swords was also commissioned in addition to gold coronets, with velvet caps crowned by plumes of dyed ostrich feathers for the nobles. A new tradition also found its way into the coronation ceremony, that of the anointment, with the king being blessed by the Patriarch of Lisbon with oils from a sold gold ampulla as Charlemagne had been. All of these costly ceremonies did serve a purpose, however, they were meant to symbolize the power and divinity of the Portuguese monarch, justifying his absolute rule.

The Lisbon earthquake in 1755 would mark a shift in Portugal's policy as the monarchy reevaluated its role. Though the gold royalties continued to increase dramatically during this period, and those of diamonds too, the king soon began to be influenced by ideas of the enlightenment. Though not abandoning his absolute right to rule, he selected councilors of state whom had been greatly influenced by ideas from France and England. Things did not change immediately, as the rebuilding of Lisbon on a grand scale commenced with opulent public buildings designed largely by French, and Italian architects, and sculptors and painters being imported from all over Europe to decorate this "new Rome".

As the King and his ministers began to look to ancient Rome and Greece for inspiration on statecraft, a plan was formulated to organize the government in a more efficient and rational manner, much in step with the ideas of the enlightenment emerging further north. The first course of action was to curb the power of the Catholic church, to that end, in 1759, the Jesuits were expelled from the Portuguese Empire. The Jesuits had built a state within the state in many parts of the empire, especially in Brazil, and this could no longer be ignored by a government seeking absolute control. This act was heralded by the settlers in the empire, especially in Southern Brazil where they had armed Indians against settlers usurping their lands. This was followed by other measures to curb the church's independence. Among these was to take away powers from the Inquisition. New Christians were given equal status in 1765 by royal decree and in 1768 the state took over the role of censorship. In addition, the king wielded his power to appoint all patriarchs, archbishops, and bishops in the Portuguese Empire by carefully selecting men for their loyalty to the crown rather than their adherence to Catholic doctrine.

During this time, the theory of integrationism began to gain strength in the empire, meaning that Portugal and its Empire formed one unitary nation, and steps should be taken to integrate all of the constituent parts of the empire as much as possible. The king and his ministers had realized that Portugal was far more dependent on its empire than any other European state, and that without the empire Portugal would become a mere province of Spain. The minister of the navy argued that Portugal was merely the "natural place of reunion, for the empire's scattered constituent parts" and that all areas of the empire were equal, Lisbon was merely the sun around which the other constellations revolved. The king's prime minister, the Marquis of Pombal, a new Christian himself sought that "a Portuguese born in the four parts of the world see himself as only Portuguese."

The first step towards integration, was to merge the armies of Brazil and Nova Lusitânia into the army of Portugal. This was largely accomplished by the German Count of Schaumburg-Lippe, as uniforms, ranks, munitions and pay were standardized. Soldiers from the "ultramar" (overseas) were encouraged to serve in Metropolitan Portugal and the crown sought to integrate colonials into the upper ranks of the military and naval establishment, thereby buying their loyalty to the Empire. This was soon followed by the promotion of Brazilians and New Lusitanians into the upper ranks of the civil administration, even in Portugal itself, where many would come to serve as magistrates. In the remote parts of the empire, New Lusitanians were instrumental in the administration, assuming the posts of governors, captains and military commanders, especially in India and Ceylon.

Economically, the mineral bounty of the empire allowed further economic integration, as the remnants of mercantilism were largely discarded. Restrictions on and customs duties "domestic" commerce were abolished opening up new ports to colonial trade and inter-territorial trade. Porto, Natal (NL), Aveiro and several other secondary ports benefited from this immensely. In addition, the Royal Treasury was centralized in Lisbon with each captaincy in the empire having its own "Junta da Fazenda" or local revenue bureau, directly responsible to the Ministry of Finance in Lisbon to standardize, and hopefully provide accurate statements of receipts for local expenditures. This was the beginning of the creation of a large imperial bureaucracy, that would only grow throughout the years. However, this expanding bureaucracy offered new positions in "overseas Portugal" the opportunity to gain prestige and power, offering some the chance to advance in the imperial hierarchy and serve in Lisbon, meanwhile binding their loyalty to the crown.

Another economic measure taken was that of import substitution to promote local manufacturers and keep more gold in the empire. Among the most notable steps taken was the nationalization of the bankrupt silk factory in Rato (Lisbon). Generous subsidies were given as silk manufacturers were hired in France and Italy to build a national silk industry. By the late 1770s these royal factories were also manufacturing porcelains, glass, tapestries and other luxury goods, somewhat stemming the tide of imports from France. In Cabo da Boa Esperança a wool exchange was founded and a factory was established under royal patronage with machines acquired in England to produce woolen manufactures. In southern Brazil, leather manufacturing was promoted by the crown. This was followed by the establishment of goldsmiths and a diamond cutting industry by Portuguese Jews from Amsterdam, who were granted exemption from the Inquisition.

In education, the Jesuit college in Évora was suppressed and became a university, in addition a university was founded in Lisbon. Royal Military Academies were established in Goa, Cabo da Boa Esperança and Rio de Janeiro to train military officers, and a naval academy was also established in Cabo da Boa Esperança to train sailors. However, much of the army and navy remained dependent on well paid German, French, Swiss, English and Dutch officers.

The lavish sums spent by the crown set the precedent for an interventionist government guiding the economy and in many ways stunted the development of an independent bourgeoisie as in England, often considered a prerequisite for democracy. Instead, the crown used its wealth to create a client-patron relationship, increasing the dependence of elites within the empire on the crown. In addition, the government reduced taxation to a level to a point where the public was less likely to demand accountability from and representation in government. Also, a well staffed and well paid militia led largely by foreigners along with the army gave the state the power to suppress dissension, that would be envied by other absolute rulers.

However, with a paucity of skilled workers, and technicians, the crown recruited foreigners from all over Europe to fill positions in the army, navy, bureaucracy. Well paid positions in the new royal factories also attracted foreigners, but at the same time provided little incentive for the Portuguese crown to develop its own talent. Even what educational institutions that were developed during this period were often staffed by Italians, Dutch and other foreigners.

Wait a moment - you're completely ignoring the knock-on effect regarding Poland-Lithuania. More than that - you're pretty much copy-pasting OTL - such as foreign armies waliking through Commonwealth willy-nilly. ITTL it's not going to happen. Polish-Lithuanian army ITTL won't be as restricted as it was OTL, as with Lesczynsky on the throne since 1704 there is no Silent Sejm of 1717, during which Russia forced the limitation of Commonwealth's army.

TL;DR: ITTL Poland-Lithuania won't be the helpless batlleground of OTL and if there's fighting on its land it'll be because it's a beligerent with its own army.

This just gets better and better; I certainly hope it hits ~1821 or ~1836. I make no promises, but I maaay be a bit interested in porting this into a V2 scenario when I have free time.

This just gets better and better; I certainly hope it hits ~1821 or ~1836. I make no promises, but I maaay be a bit interested in porting this into a V2 scenario when I have free time.
I'd really like to see that, actually. Assuming that nobody breaks off from the Empire by 1836, Portugal might be even more overpowered in that scenario than Britain is in standard Victoria II. (Meanwhile, it's tough to keep Portugal at Secondary Power status without the prestige boosts from random colonial events, or colonizing, or subjugating primitive nations.)