How is GMI and universal health insurance a right-wank? I'd say it's pretty even handed, actually.
Not to be rude, but you have to be willingly ignoring a lot to think it's not a right-wank.

Just because of two things doesn't make it even both ways. The last liberal president was a failure, George Wallace was President for 8 years, the Left is dead nationally, line-item veto, no 18 year old vote, New Deal programs have been gutted under Reagan, LGBT rights are slightly worse than they were OTL, and the social progress of the 60's and 70's never happened.

And, oh yeah, the only good Presidents just so happen to have come from the Republican Party. The Democrats just so happen to have shitty Presidents.

Well, yes. If you haven't realized this is quite a Conservativewank TL, you've been sleeping. :p
Trust me, this is in no way shape or form a Conservative-wank tale.

If you want something along those lines, well technically more Xenophobic Nationalism if anything, then I'd point you to the well written if infamous "Enoch's National Front".

"Monica's Baby, The Ruin of Clinton" might be a more appropriate choice for Conservative-wank, though it only got about two or three years past it's POD before BlairWitch was thrown overboard.

Trust me, this is in no way shape or form a Conservative-wank tale.

If you want something along those lines, well technically more Xenophobic Nationalism if anything, then I'd point you to the well written if infamous "Enoch's National Front".

"Monica's Baby, The Ruin of Clinton" might be a more appropriate choice for Conservative-wank, though it only got about two or three years past it's POD before BlairWitch was thrown overboard.
Those seem to be more along more extreme conservative lines. Not crazy, but still.

This is more of a "moderate conservative" wank.

Moderate could mean two different things in this context: moderate in the political inclination to which a TL is biased, or biased toward a political inclination to a moderate degree.

Deleted member 83898

Not to be rude, but you have to be willingly ignoring a lot to think it's not a right-wank.

Just because of two things doesn't make it even both ways. The last liberal president was a failure, George Wallace was President for 8 years, the Left is dead nationally, line-item veto, no 18 year old vote, New Deal programs have been gutted under Reagan, LGBT rights are slightly worse than they were OTL, and the social progress of the 60's and 70's never happened.

And, oh yeah, the only good Presidents just so happen to have come from the Republican Party. The Democrats just so happen to have shitty Presidents.
Uh, Wallace won the Vietnam War and expanded the welfare state by introducing two new major programs.

Deleted member 83898

Standard left wing take is that Vietnam was an unjust and illegal war so winning it is bad, I think?
Well, certainly that train of thought would prevail among the SDS and like-minded groups, but everyone in the party from George McGovern to George Wallace must have been glad that the war was over, regardless of what they had thought about it while it was being fought.

I mean, the Left did get massacred ITTL, but it's not like Leftism as a whole has been less successful. UHC is a big win that could save millions of lives from premature deaths, and Welfare is similarly strong. Much of Reagan's conservatism ITTL is similar to what happened IOTL, and with UHC it about balances out with the left-right dynamic.

Socially, though, I agree the Left did not have a good time ITTL. We're looking at a nation far more right wing socially than IOTL, but breaking even or perhaps even leaning a little left economically. Which is an interesting scenario, and hardly simply a right wank. Also, I don't really get how line item veto is a right wank proposal.

I mean, the Left did get massacred ITTL, but it's not like Leftism as a whole has been less successful. UHC is a big win that could save millions of lives from premature deaths, and Welfare is similarly strong. Much of Reagan's conservatism ITTL is similar to what happened IOTL, and with UHC it about balances out with the left-right dynamic.

Socially, though, I agree the Left did not have a good time ITTL. We're looking at a nation far more right wing socially than IOTL, but breaking even or perhaps even leaning a little left economically. Which is an interesting scenario, and hardly simply a right wank. Also, I don't really get how line item veto is a right wank proposal.
I'm not sure I could characterize it as left-wing economically though, didn't Reagan gut social programs?

The reason line-item veto is thrown in there is that it's largely associated with the American Right (and Bill Clinton).

I'm not sure I could characterize it as left-wing economically though, didn't Reagan gut social programs?

The reason line-item veto is thrown in there is that it's largely associated with the American Right (and Bill Clinton).
Reagan was unable to gut social programs for two reasons. One, he ran explicitly on not doing so. Secondly, there was no appetite among Republican lawmakers to do so given the popularity of the programs. Reagan's big spending cut victories were the repeal of the Pendleton Act and the Line Item Veto.

Socially, though, I agree the Left did not have a good time ITTL. We're looking at a nation far more right wing socially than IOTL

Civil Rights is about where it was IOTL, it's just more associated with Republicans. Abortion is more restricted, but sodomy laws were struck down. It's not really "far more right wing" it's just that the Democrats aren't dominated by social liberals (but neither are social liberals totally alienated from the Republicans)

That's a function of your personal politics but it's not really a reasonable general standard.
Well, it is a general standard. Abortion is associated with left-wing politics, and it has faced huge pushback, thus another example in the right-wank.

Also, Buckley having a huge media empire, James Buckley becoming Mayor of New York, Schafly on the Supreme Court, the French forming a pseudo-Commonwealth, Liberty Conservatism, the Left becoming delegitimized thanks to the SLA, the horror that is the Civil Reform Act (more personal bias here :openedeyewink:), Freyism, Communonationalism, etc etc.

Last edited: