Jews of the North: A look at the Tsaphonim from original sources

Entry 1
A page from “History of Viking Scandinavia” Published 1998

The first Jews in Scandinavia

The sources are scant about the first Jews in the Norse Realms. Oral tradition referenced in writings by Tsaphonim rabbis claim that the first permanent Jewish settlement was in Jutland fleeing from the Carolingian Empire.15 The date of this settlement is disputed between historians with dates as early as the sixth century proposed16, however, the most likely candidate based on the list of Rabbis on the Jutland Beis Din, the earliest one, is the late 7th and early 8th centuries. The first synagogue is found in Jelling and the records of the synagogue date it to the 4570s in the Hebrew calendar, 810s in the Piusian calendar.17 Around the same time a synagogue was built in the city of Roskilde,18 which supports a dual settlement of both cities by merchants bringing their families. It seems that these small communities which numbered in the hundreds by 83019 expanded quickly. By 850 the Jelling community had expanded to 5000 through immigration mostly but also massive birth rates from the relative wealth of the community.20 By this time Roskilde had 10,000 Jews.21 It is around this time that the first of the Jewish sagas, to differentiate them from the saga written by Norse Pagans and Christians, take place with three such family sagas.
The first is of the Cohen and is the largest, as it covers the exploits of all noteworthy Cohen in the north.21 It is the only one with stories that we can date to the time of the first Jews with the first such narrative about Rabbi Zechariah Ben Aharon, the founder of the Jutland Beis Din and the writer of several responsa and a commentary on the books of Joshua and Judges. Unfortunately, we have but fragments of the responsa but what we do have gives us a look into the concerns of the first Jews and paints a picture of tranquility between the Norse pagans and Jews. One such responsa confirms that any convert is of a new house or family.22 However, if their previous family wishes it they can indeed still be in the inheritance according to the laws of the land.23 The image painted by this ruling is that while we are not sure if it was a noble or a merchant, the upper class were attracted enough to Judaism to convert. Other responsa include the status of noachides, whether fish and vegetables can come from a gentile, and other responsa not relevant to the specific developing Tsaphonim.24
Rabbi Zechariah according to the sagas, fought Thor and defeated him ending the dominence over the gods over Jutland. The saga also has him fighting the demon Gabriel who mascaraed as the true angel Gabriel ending any attempt by the forces of Edom. 25 The sagas would later speak of both attempting to return, this time with Jesus and Odin, and their servants who the Raybesh fought, heralding in Ragnorak and ending the norse gods. Several saints were declared to have also been killed by the Raybesh with their relics being kept by Tsaphonim as trophies.26 The sagas also speak of the wisdom of Rabbi Zechariah, indeed the sagas say he defeated Thor and Gabriel not through brute strength but by trickery. It is from these sagas that we get a list of his responsa, of which we only have fragments of seven, numbering almost fifty. Beyond mythic exploits in the sagas we know little about this man that led the early Jewish community.

Letter to his sister from a Jewish merchant in Roskilde dated to the early 8th century:

Dearest sister,

You will be happy to know that your foolish brother has indeed found wealth in the north having followed a few of our brothers to find the source of amber. We joined around a hundred of our brethren in Roskilde where a synagogue is already operating. Our fortunes fare much better then in the Frankish Kingdom, the idolaters there are friendly and know not of the deeds that the Christians accuse us of and gladly work alongside us in trade. Already I have amassed a tidy sum from the trade of amber and other goods with the Franks. Using my knowledge of the Frankish tongue, though strangely foreign in the northern regions, I have set up many trading contacts and have for myself three ships crewed with both Jew and men of the nations, from which I draw a steady income. I urge you to tell your husband and journey up here and join me in my business. Invite the whole community, there is great fortune to be made here for the people of Israel.

Your brother
Yechiel

A section from a Jewish saga detailing with the Cohen in Scandanavia
Shimshon Son of Aharon “The mighty” was the mightiest of all the sons of Aharon. He stood among his brethren not as a scholar or priest like his brothers but as a warrior. He was born in the year 4621 4th of Tevet according to the calendar of the sons of Israel to Levi and Aila. He lived in Jutland traveling with his father as a merchant. When he came of age his father was attacked in Lothringa by Christians and killed. He swore vengeance against them and requested permission from the Jutland Beis Din to raid and pillage. Rabbi Avraham Ben Daniel, Chayim Ben Tzvi, and Shimon Ben Netanal ruled that the Christians were idolaters and as they had violated their oath with the sons of Israel, the oaths sworn to them by the sons of Israel didn’t apply. Hearing this Shimshon Son of Aharon and his brother Pincas Son of Aharon raised ten ships and set sail. They roamed the northern sea and seized much booty. Encouraged by their success they raised an even larger fleet and set sail on an invasion of Lothringia. Here Pincas led one half and Shimshon they other. Pincas raided Frisia slaying many Priests and even the Bishop there. Shimshon, however, met with an army led by Boniface. They fought for six days. On Friday Shimshon desired to wash himself for the coming sabbath. At the creek in his armor he met Boniface on the other side drinking. The two fought one on each side of the river. When the sun began to dip below the horizon, Shimson wished to pray the afternoon prayers, so he cried out to G-d to give him victory over Boniface. He tossed away his weapons so that he could not be credited with the victory for while his weapons were made by hand, his hands were made by G-d. G-d blessed him and he killed Saint Boniface.
Before sun dipped below the horizon, the battlefield was won and the Christian forces scattered before Shimson. He sabbathed there and all of his forces sabbathed there with him. The first day, he started marching back, taking with him the foreskin of Boniface as proof of his victory. The brothers after many more summers of raiding brought back much wealth and settled down. Pincas became a member of the Jutland Beis Din and married the daughter of Chayim Ben Tzvi, Abigail, and had three sons, Chayim, Avraham, and Eliyahu. All three owned much land and were wealthy. Shimshon married the daughter of Obidiah, Sarah, who fought with him in Lothringa. They had one son and seven daughters, the son being named Yehoshuah. He was named a Jarl by king Sigfred becoming the first of the sons of Aharon and Israel to be named as such.

Copy of the edict recognizing the authority of the Jutland Beis Din over the Jews of that region by king Sigfred issued in the year 4551 stored in the archives of the Danish Beis Din

In recognition of the deeds of Pincas and Jarl Shimshon Ben Aharon “The Mighty” and do to the request of both, I, king Sigfred of the Danes, recognize the authority of the Jutland Beis Din headquartered the city of Jelling over the Jutland, that administers justice to the sons of Israel. Any son of Israel or one dealing with them is required to face their justice in all matters save where the king wishes to intervene.

1596840509817.jpeg

Hedeby

You should look into the sizes of the different towns. Hedeby was the biggest Danish town in the Viking Age and it had between 1000-2000 inhabitants. I have no idea of the population of Jelling and Roskilde. But yelling was likely not a town in any meaningful meaning of the word, but more likely simply a prototype of the Viking Ring Fortress.

The other known Danish Viking Age towns would be Roskilde as you have mentioned, Lejre, Tissø, Aarhus, Viborg and Ribe.

Little are known about any other settlement than Hedeby. But we can make some guesses.

Ribe was likely a very important trading town, it connect the River Kongeåen to the North Sea and was the main Danish port on the North Sea, it would be a obvious settlement for the foreign traders.

Tissø is major freshwater lake placed in a relative easy navigable land. Likely simply a glorified market, which was able to upkeep population outside the annual meet.

Viborg was important in the early Christian period and was seen as the capital of Jutland, it’s not placed well for foreign trade, but is well positioned for domestic trade in North Jutland. Connecting the population of around the Limfjord

Aarhus lies in the center of some of the most fertile land on the Jutish east coast and close to the important fortification on Samson, where the army meet, when armies was raised.

Lejre and Roskilde should be thought about together, they’re placed in middle of Zealand, but along the coastline of the major inlet. They're well protected and have access to both sea and land.

Beside that I think that you‘re better off with smaller population (200-300 people) which are settle in their own settlements established by the king. I think that you should look at where the known Viking Ring Fortresses was established, as they was strategic placed to improve the royal control of Denmark. The Jews would likely be settle in a similar manner in a attempt by the king to set up towns which he can use to extend influence over the region in question.
1596842208163.jpeg

Known Viking Ring Fortresses.

View attachment 573217

Hedeby

You should look into the sizes of the different towns. Hedeby was the biggest Danish town in the Viking Age and it had between 1000-2000 inhabitants. I have no idea of the population of Jelling and Roskilde. But yelling was likely not a town in any meaningful meaning of the word, but more likely simply a prototype of the Viking Ring Fortress.

The other known Danish Viking Age towns would be Roskilde as you have mentioned, Lejre, Tissø, Aarhus, Viborg and Ribe.

Little are known about any other settlement than Hedeby. But we can make some guesses.

Ribe was likely a very important trading town, it connect the River Kongeåen to the North Sea and was the main Danish port on the North Sea, it would be a obvious settlement for the foreign traders.

Tissø is major freshwater lake placed in a relative easy navigable land. Likely simply a glorified market, which was able to upkeep population outside the annual meet.

Viborg was important in the early Christian period and was seen as the capital of Jutland, it’s not placed well for foreign trade, but is well positioned for domestic trade in North Jutland. Connecting the population of around the Limfjord

Aarhus lies in the center of some of the most fertile land on the Jutish east coast and close to the important fortification on Samson, where the army meet, when armies was raised.

Lejre and Roskilde should be thought about together, they’re placed in middle of Zealand, but along the coastline of the major inlet. They're well protected and have access to both sea and land.

Beside that I think that you‘re better off with smaller population (200-300 people) which are settle in their own settlements established by the king. I think that you should look at where the known Viking Ring Fortresses was established, as they was strategic placed to improve the royal control of Denmark. The Jews would likely be settle in a similar manner in a attempt by the king to set up towns which he can use to extend influence over the region in question.
View attachment 573226
Known Viking Ring Fortresses.
Thank you for the info, I couldnt find many population figures so forthe population of Jews I based it on the figures I do know, that being the settlements along the Rihne that are much smaller in this timeline. These were around 20k by the 9th century if I recall correctly. I picked Jelling after my research because it was the seat of the king and what with the kings retainers and Jarls and Karls hanging around because king I assumed it would have 20-30k atleast. Where is your sources? I trust you but I would like to look into them myself so I can do approprate edits.

As for your idea about the king settling Jews to help cement power I was thinking about something like that in the British isles.

Thank you for the info, I couldnt find many population figures so forthe population of Jews I based it on the figures I do know, that being the settlements along the Rihne that are much smaller in this timeline. These were around 20k by the 9th century if I recall correctly. I picked Jelling after my research because it was the seat of the king and what with the kings retainers and Jarls and Karls hanging around because king I assumed it would have 20-30k atleast. Where is your sources? I trust you but I would like to look into them myself so I can do approprate edits.

As for your idea about the king settling Jews to help cement power I was thinking about something like that in the British isles.

My sources is speaking Danish and having been taught Danish history. But the number of Hedeby having 1000-2000 inhabitant and being the biggest Danish town Iit was Danmarkshistorien.dk (site in Danish owned by Aarhus University). The Danish National Museum (https://en.natmus.dk/historical-kno...acy/how-big-was-denmark-in-the-viking-period/) estimate of the Danish population in 800 was also 500.000 people on the modern territory of Denmark (which likely mean something like 700.000 in the territory of the day).

Hedeby is a pretty good example of the kind of settlement you could imagine. It was founded by Godfred of Denmark, when he lay waste to the Slavic town of Reric (Wismar) and moved its population (likely a mix of Slavs, Saxons and Danes) to the Danish border fortifications at the inlet Slee.

A important factor is that Danish towns lay at the coast rather than a rivers like the Rhenish towns, which meant more limited access to freshwater, which meant a lower urban population. At the same time Danes preferred to place their settlement in deep inlets as it made them more protected against attack from the sea, while still giving them access to the important transport route. The only exception was that Danes sometimes placed towns/fortresses inland at freshwater lakes. Of course the Danish king may take greater risk with a population of outsiders.

Super ashkenazim!
Jk, I’m sold. As someone who studies Jewish History, I can’t wait to see where this one goes.

Stretch

Donor
This remind me of the How To Train Your Dragon alternate history fanfiction on AO3. It's called A Thing of Vikings and it also has the Vikings supporting the Jews.

Entry 2
Excerpt from the article “Rise of the Shtetle: Expansion of Jews into the Interior of Denmark”

One large difference between the Norse and their new Jewish neighbors was their laws of cleanliness. This seems to have been a constant headache with the early Jews. One of the lost responsa of Rabbi Zechariah is titled, “On Salt Water Mikvahs”5 With the full integration of Jews into the hierarchy and their reputation for honesty and loyalty to the King, the first Jewish Jarls begin to appear starting with Shimshon “The Mighty”. He founded the town of Aviv on the river Stora. Correspondence found in the archive’s of the Danish Beis Din shows that the Jutland Beis Din headquartered in Hedeby wished to have total authority over the actions of the Aviv Beis Din. This type of power struggle, of Beis Din’s attempting to seize as much power as could, would continue even until the present day. According to the letters a compromise is reached and permission is sought from the king to establish a Danish beis din for the entire realm to be under his direct supervision. Our sources fail us as to what happened next but the King appears to have agreed according to the oral tradition of the Danish beis din.

Archaeology and the creation of more beis din supports a rapid settlement of the interior along rivers and fresh water lakes by Jewish settlers. With the amount of Jews estimated at 20k mainly focused on Jutland and in the town of Roskilde. With the need for the kings of Denmark to have loyal followers, the existence of this foreign wealthy people who wouldn’t rebel and accepted his power was a great boon. It is theorized that the settlements would be established to help cement control of his lands. The other theory put forward is mentioned in the letters between the two Beis Dins in their discussions, the need for fresh water for their mikveh.

This plan would end in failure as King Godfrey would find the Jewish population of Denmark at odds with him after a dispute between him and the Danish Beis Din. By the start of the reign of King Horik I, the Jews in the interior of the Jutland had positioned themselves as an estate of sorts, essential to please for any king. With the approval of the Danish Beis Din would come the support of the very small amount, though growing, Jewish Jarls, and more importantly, the funds of Jewish merchants.

Letters between the Jutland Beis Din and the Aviv Beis Din from the Danish Beis Din archives

To the Aviv Beis Din

It has some to our attention that you the settlers on the land of Jarl Shimshon ben Aharon brother of RabbiPincas who sits upon this beis din, has in your city for mikvehs set up for yourself a rival beis din to undermine the power granted to us by King Sigfred of blessed memory in the land of Jutland. We thus request that you send all your cases to us where we will deliberate them and issue a ruling.

The Jutland Beis Din

To the Hedeby Beis Din

The journey north into Jutland is a long and treacherous one that will suffer loss. It is written in our halachah that the person wishing to take must do the journey, as you wish to take our authority that means you must journey here to do so. The disputees do not wish to take anything from you. Therefore they should not be forced to journey so far. According to the Torah we are within our authority as a community of 120 male Jews to set up a court for ourselves.

The Aviv Beis Din

To the Rabbis of Aviv

According to the three oaths in the Talmud we should not rebel against the nations. By disobeying to edict of King Sigfred of blessed memory and setting up another beis din in direct opposition to his edict, you are rebelling against our current King Godfred. Therefore you should imminently disband less the king discover your deeds.

The Jutland Beis Din

To the Hedeby Beis Din

This is an internal matter within the people of Israel. By spreading such lies as us not being loyal to King Gudfred, you could jeopardize our position within the realm. We thus… (Correspondence from this point is lost)

To Pincas

Come to Aviv and we shall settle this.

Jarl Shimshon

From history of the Danes, by the Rabbis of the Danish Beis Din
King Godfred was born in the year 4543 on the 29 of Adar to his father King Sigfred and his mother Gunild. He ascended to the throne in the year 4565 on the 23 of Cheshvan. Despite raids by vikings, the Franks continued to march forward during his reign. The Saxons saw their realm reduced by their emperor. King Godfred, seeing their weakness, invaded the Obradrites to subjugate them and force them to give him tribute in the form of gold and men for his armies. Accompanying him were Ragnvald his brothers son, Jarl Godelaib, Jarl Rether, Jarl Fathi, Jarl Brun, Jarl Gad and Jarl Shimson. Rabbi Pincas was invited along however he declined. Instead his son Chayim Ben Aharon went with the king. On the camp a dispute was raised, several Danes having adopted the laws of war used by the Jews, demanded that a stop be made on the shabbat and that spikes be issued among the men. Jarl Shimshon offered to pay for such and the practices became a part of the Danish army until the present day.
They besieged many cities and lost many men before they besieged the city of Reric. In the seige Ragnvald and Jarl Brun among many other cheifs and soldiers perished. Chayim ben Aharom proposed that the tree that had been used in an attempt to pierce the gates be capped with iron. The King liked his proposal and seized the black smiths in the neighboring towns melting down any iron tools he could seize. The tree thus capped pierced through the gate and the city was seized. The city agreed that fees would be sent to King Godfred.
Many cities and two districts agreed to pay King Godfred tribute. Hearing of this invasion, the Emperor of the Franks sent his brother toward the Elbe where he raided. Linoness and Smeldingli. King Godfred at the advice of the Danish beis din sent to negotiate with the Emperor of the Franks. At Hedeby Charlamange gathered with his cavalry and fleets to parley with King Godfred. The king due to poor advisors, ignored the counsel of the Jutland Beis Din lead by Rabbi Pincas son of Aharon and fled north leaving the city of Hedeby to its fate.
However, the men of Hedeby did not cower, they walked forward after choosing Pincas Ben Aharon to speak for them, as he knew the Frankish language. They met on the plain outside Hedeby. The Emperor of the Franks dressed in finery. Rabbi Pincas, contrary to the Jarls who had elected to stay, was dressed in the modest dress he wore on sabbath. Only a broach fastening his tallis gadol showed his status in the community. The two conversed, and it was agreed that if the king would acquiesce, Charlamange would respect the border of the Danish realm and King Godfred would harbor no more Saxon rebels. As a show of peace, the Beis Din returned some of the relics seized by Rabbi Pincas and his brother in the Frankish realm. The two parted and Charlemagne would never again cross the frontier of the Danish realm.
King Godfred was furious at this betrayal as he had intended to invade and seize Frisia. He sought to raise an army to invade anyway. However, the Danish Beis Din refused to support this and no Jews joined his army. Many Jarls also refused to join the invasion force. Humiliated, King Godfred seized the Danish Beis Din. In response Jarl Shimshon raised an army and marched on Hedeby. King Godfred met him in battle. Jarl Shimshon and his allies won the battle, the supporters of King Godfred scattered and the Jarls and Danish Beis Din that had been imprisoned were freed. King Godfred was seized and forced to abdicate. The Danish Beis Din supported Horik Ben Godfred. Some of the jarls supported them, while the jarls that had previously supported King Godfred supported Hemming. The civil war raged for two years until Hemming was killed in battle. Horik Ben Godfred was thus crowned king of the Danes.

Charlamange: You would come to meet the Emperor of Rome dressed like a peasant?
Rabbi Pincas: If I can dress such for the Emperor of Emperors then surely it is enough for the Emperor of just Rome?

Entry 3
Excerpt from the thesis, Spread of the Sabbath in Scandanavia

There are two institutions that differentiate Jews from the nations. First of all the keeping of the laws of Kosher, and second the sabbath. However for a time there was another people that were known as sabbath keepers, the Danes. With the influence of the Jews, the sabbath along with certain smaller institutions spread rapidly through the Danish realm. The earliest evidence we have of the spread of the sabbath is a letter from a local Jarl to the Jutland Beis Din requesting they tell his huscarls that the sabbath cannot be kept in any way by men of the nations as they had been resting. This produced the famous responsa by Rabbi Levi ben Aharon, The Nations and the Shobbath, which set up several rules for the nations honoring the sabbath in such a way that they could indeed have a day of rest but would not be keeping the sabbath. The institution of the sabbath, along with the rejection of pork and shellfish, spread rapidly. It became a day of partying for the Danes and unto this day Tsaphonim are known for their wild Shobbath.
However, the sabbath didn’t just remain in the Jutland. Norse and Danes that went on raids lead by Jews would often adopt their ways and begin honoring Hashem alongside their gods. This is because of the success these expeditions enjoyed. Jews being from the Carlingion empire, driven forth due to their perceived alliance with the Umyadds, had knowledge of the tactics their enemies used and thus were able to outsmart the Franks. This was interpreted by the Norse and Danes as favor from the G-d of Israel. As such, they would adopt His ceremonies in an effort to please Him. It is because of this the sabbath spread to the Norse. One of the sagas tells of a Jew who claimed to be from the house of Calev, Meshulam ben Calev, came to Norway to organize a boat. He said that any that joined would have to follow the laws of his G-d. At first the sagas tell us he got few takers, indeed many of the priests were mad at this foreigner that was spreading a foreign G-d. One goaded another to fight him. However Meshulam was able to defeat him with his bare hands. The sagas tell us he grabbed the sword of his foe and snapped it without a single drop of blood. When asked how he declared that it is forbidden for a Jew to cut themselves, therefore unless he willed to be cut, he couldn’t be cut. His opponent immiedetly asked to become a Jew. He was refused and told to come on his boat, and if he survived he could go to the Jutland beis din with his blessing.

After this, he raised ten ships and went raiding in Ireland and Scotland, bringing back much wealth. Indeed, as he said, he wasn’t cut once and it was said he fought like a ship himself. All the men demanded to be taken to Jutland for conversion. They would form the core of the Norse Jews. With this fortune, many Norse adopted the sabbath. This surprised christian missionaries when they reached the Norse when they found the sabbath there. One such monk wrote back, “I fear that our mission will bear no fruit, the sabbath and thus the Jews, hold massive sway in the north.”

An Excerpt from a letter written by one of the first Norse Jews to the Roskilde Beis Din.

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to tell you of a singular community of Norse pagans in the land of the Norse that are more zealous for Hashem then many of the Jews in Roskilde. They know little of Torah, and only possess a few psalms, the amidah and a few other select teachings that were clearly bribed from Jews further south that they had encountered in raids, trading, or blown off course in the fridged north. Truly I don’t know how long it will take my letter to find you or even if. As you can imagine my coming into the village caused quite a stir. First they noticed my tsitsith and instantly identified myself as a Jew. Joyess cries of yehudi rang throughout the village. I had never received such a warm welcome by gentiles ever. Before I knew it they had whisked me to the central plaza where they asked me if I wanted bread by saying lechem repeatedly, I declined and they said kashruth. I asked in Danish to show me where upon their eyes lightened and they exclaimed how I knew their toungue, I asked what kosher food they had and they declared they had vegetables that I could wash, I accepted and to their delight kashered my vegetables and ate with them. My Danish and their Norse were mutually intelligible with a small amount of difficulty.

We conversed through the meal and they were very pleased to hear that I had studied in the Roskilde Yeshivah, even though I hadn’t finished my ordination they instantly called me Rabbi. All sorts of questions were asked so that I could barely talk, betraying a very warped understanding of the basics of Torah. Th entire small fishing community was enraptured by my answers as I taught Torah to people who knew nothing.

However at one point there was a declaration by one that he would keep the sabbath, I had to correct him to their sadness. A cry of convert us rang out from the hundreds of people, the whole hall was stuffed with people and my words were being repeated outside. Hearing their resolve I agreed to sponser them and teach them how to be Jews if… I was cut off there as cheers rocked the hall, such was the excitement of the gentiles here. I attempted to quiet them down but failed for ten minutes. I then repeated myself that they would have to to do precicly what I said. They asked what and remember what I was taught in Yeshivah I told them they had to procure adequate seforim, build a mikveh, synogogue and yeshivah. They would have to destroy all their idols, at this a few seemed hesitant but the majority were continuing to yell that they agreed. I summed it up by demanding perfect tzniuth, kosher, and a few other mitzvoth. They to the one agreed.

So within a few years I will be arriving with an entire community from the north of the house of the Norse to join the nation of Israel.

Best wishes

Simeon Ben Yehoshuah

An account of a raid by one of the survivors

The Norse came out of the mist on a cool spring morning, rather early in the season for raiding, we were a small farming village without much to steal. The ship had a lion carved on the prow and the sail was decorated with the symbol of the Menorah. Recognizing the symbol from the Jewish village nearby I was surprised, the norse wouldn’t use such a symbol. This shock was quickly ended when Norse leapt out of the ship and rushed the village. We instantly scattered however beyond a stop at the church to burn and loot it, they ignored us. I hid in a haystack and watched as the church went up in flames to the cheers of those pagan norsemen probably to their sick gods. Now that I was in little danger I was able to watch the norse closer. Each one with a shield had one of three symbols painted on it, the lion on the prow of the ship, the menorah, and a scroll. Cries of Torah Emeth and Adonai Echad rang out from them. Slowly it dawned on me, these were not pagans I was watching burn the church, they were Jews.

I observed the crown, that was taking some food, though we would manage and it was clear they were just taking enough for the return journey. The food they took was vegetables and grain, meat and dairy were left behind along with any bread. The crowd parted at one point to the cries of a man. He walked forward twirling and dancing with several other Norsemen chanting in the language of the Jews. That same cry echoed, Torah Emeth. Behind the dancers, their number expanding, was the Torah scroll owned by the local Jews, held with uptmost respect by four Norsemen. They were followed by men carrying a few other books and the people of the community pleading with them. The throng ignored them and went singing and dancing back to where their ship was. Curious I followed hidden. They wrapped the books and scroll in oil cloth and unloaded goods such as furs and other articles from the north. From the various reactions I guessed this was payment for the scroll and books, the norse then departed. It was until the end of the day when the knights arrived. Not much food had been taken, and besides the church treasures nothing else was missing. The church was rebuilt, there was a discussion on whether or not to destroy the village of the Jews for the raid but it was eventually decided that we wouldn’t want to attract the wrath of the Norse and left them alone.

A/N: Misspellings of Hebrew transliterations are on purpose as Tsaphonim have a slightly different Hebrew pronunciation then Ashkenaze. And the raid is by the same village, we will visit their village several more times in our narrative.

This is somehow equal parts fascinating, awesome, and hilarious.

I am now picturing vikings with kippah and peyot... Though more likely, they will instead use shtremiels and spodiks, the better to ward off the winter cold. I can still believe them having hair curls though, vikings were rather particular about taking care of their appearance, including hair styles. After all, only christians would run around all dirty and unwashed!

... Though to be fair to them, I believe that habit only really got out of hand around the 14th century, as so many other things did in the wake of the Black Death.

This is somehow equal parts fascinating, awesome, and hilarious.

I am now picturing vikings with kippah and peyot... Though more likely, they will instead use shtremiels and spodiks, the better to ward off the winter cold. I can still believe them having hair curls though, vikings were rather particular about taking care of their appearance, including hair styles. After all, only christians would run around all dirty and unwashed!

... Though to be fair to them, I believe that habit only really got out of hand around the 14th century, as so many other things did in the wake of the Black Death.
Peyoth my good sir, the tes is pronounced with a th in tsaphonim Hebrew.

Kippos are 14th century as I recall and shtremiels even later, I could be wrong as I am just going buy what I have been told. Being the only major chassidic dynasty to not wear streimals at all, I don't know much about them. I do have some plans however for the dress of the tsaphonim.

I always found the sagas funny in how they described things almost like an anime so I wanted to preserve that feeling in the stories.